Taking Over A Ball Park

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 19, 2014

I will never get tired of seeing Giants fans take over PetCo Park. It’s still a surreal scene to watch literally 80% of the fans screaming and cheering for San Francisco. Does it upset Padre fans? I’m talking about the few who go to the games. And I don’t really understand why they don’t go to the games. It’s a beautiful park. Fantastic weather. The team is actually decent. It seems to me they have everything in place for the fans to storm their home games.

And yet when Brandon Belt hit that bomb all you could see in the background of his trip around the bases were ecstatic Giants fans.

_________________

side bar idea: Hector Sanchez only gets to pinch hit. No more starts. No more time spent behind the plate. Ever again.

About these ads

1. willedav said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:36 am

There was a foul ball that rolled near 2 Giants fans down LF line (which was full of them K and K mentioned), with the dad trying vainly to reach over and grab it. Then the Pads ball guy picked it up and handed it to his kid with a Giants hat on. Way cool. Contrast that with DBacks who root out opposing team fans from behind plate.
    At least AZ finally beat Dodgers, scoring 2 vs. Perez in the 12th last night and pinning another L on their pen.

Kind of surprised no one mentioned Gutierrez last night giving up the bomb that made it 2-0 game. If Bochy was disappointed about Hector’s D with a runner on 3rd, maybe using Gut in the 8th becomes thing of the past too.

My godson lives in SD and follows Pads and was at the home opener, blogs too. I asked him about Headley and he says he isn’t high on him—too inconsistent and didn’t pull his weight as clean up last year.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

That whole sequence leading to the hr against Gutierrez was terrible pitch calling by Sanchez. Sure he can shake him off but bad pitch calls none the less.

2. Nipper said, on April 19, 2014 at 9:11 am

Pinch hit = DH

3. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 9:19 am

Yeah, I had a bad feeling when we wasted a lead off double (which would have been a triple had the ball stayed in the yard), and then the run scoring on the passed ball.

4. sansabes said, on April 19, 2014 at 9:25 am

Posey has never had a pass ball? Fuck Krukow.

And JC has been nails. If a reliever was demoted after giving up a hr, Romo would have never closed the WS.

5. James said, on April 19, 2014 at 9:51 am

JC may also have the longest, most solemn pre-pitch, behind the mound devotional ceremony in the majors. I wonder if he inadvertently cut it short on the wrong Friday of the year.

6. James said, on April 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

Great news, everyone. With yesterday’s one run output, the offense has achieved equilibrium and is now at 4.3 RPG, Snarkk’s more realistic assessment of their capabilities. I knew I was wrong to be upset last night.

• zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 10:51 am

:) :)

7. zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 10:59 am

Great ending to the Dodger game last night. Lots of fun to watch the Dodger bullpen give it up again.
    I didn’t get Arizona’s pitching strategy to Uribe in the bottom of the ninth, though. Brenley, one of the AZ broadcasters, was practically begging the pitcher to keep throwing fastballs to the outer half of the plate. “If Uribe hits a homerun, make him have to go opposite field.” So….the AZ pitcher proceeds to hang a slider on the inner half of the plate, and well, you all know what happens when Uribe jumps on one of those….
    ….Jazz Hands!!

8. stickman said, on April 19, 2014 at 11:43 am

With Sanchez’ struggles Susac’s stock just went up another notch. Perhaps by the deadline Hector will be traded to some A.L. outfit.

The game was on Bochy more than anyone else. Lineup setting. Blanco batting second was a bad idea. It should have been Crawford, who has done well in that slot. Don’t frankly give a damn if it’s two LHB’s in a row with Belt in his natural place batting third. Then the back to back hack attack in the Cleanup and Enforcer roles. Bad management of lineups even if BB15 is the best bullpen juggler in the business.

All these grievous one-run losses could get inside Cain’s head. Bochy owes it to him to be backed by the best of all possible lineups.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 19, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I suggest the torture actually made us tougher and better in 2010, so we shall see.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on April 19, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Maybe we should meet in SD for Flapalooza. You know I am in, even if it is in Saigon.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on April 19, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Travis Ishikawa released by the Bucs. Did he get two rings for us, or just the one? Either way, always grateful to him. #ForeverGiant Best of luck, Ishi.

• zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

One ring. He’s bounced around a bit since 2010.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on April 19, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Admittedly, I’ve been here only sporadically, but I thought Twin was going to do a thread last week. Is he okay? Hope so.

12. zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Clipper dude makes a half-court bankshot to the end the first quarter. I’m sure he called it.

13. zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Van Gundy’s broadcasting is a kind of audio torture. A kind of irritating white noise during the broadcast.

• zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Van Gundy: “He knocks down the easy 3-pointer.”
      Seriously? Is Van Gundy being ironic?

14. Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Ishikawa got screwed when the Bucs traded for shitty Ike Davis. At least Ishikawa plays defense. Ike Davis sucks. He’s got about 47 holes in his swing. When I see them do stuff like this I say “I guess that’s why they’re the Bucs”…
    Twin decided to post a thread at another time. He’s always got the green light to post.

15. zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:45 pm

According to Pavlovic at the Merc, Cain has lost 7 games in his career when he gave up 1 run. It actually seems like more. But 7 is a lot. And last night it wasn’t even an earned run.

16. Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Big (cry) Baby.
    W’s putting in maximum effort here. Nice first half.

• zumiee said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:53 pm

This is the NBA as Stern and the execs, and the fans, wish it to be. It’d be nice to see an actual entertaining team win the championship instead of the dull Spurs or Heat.

17. Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I’m in Reno right now. Tried to get a bet down on the Dubs money line (+260). I got to the window and the game had just started so I got shut out. We’ll see if I’m pissed about my clock management when the game ends. I really liked them today, I thought that 7.5 pt line just because Bogut was out was BS.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 19, 2014 at 2:00 pm

There have been 35 games in which Matt Cain pitched six innings and allowed one run or fewer and didn’t get the win. 35 games. Sweet Jebus.

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 2:46 pm

wow. that’s amazing.

19. blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2014 at 2:59 pm

The lineup:

Pagan CF
    Pence RF
    Posey C
    Morse LF
    Sandoval 3B
    Belt 1B
    Arias 2B
    Crawford SS
    Hudson P

Glad to see Pablo batting 5th.

20. James said, on April 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Cain’s winning percentage almost exactly matches that of the Giants overall during the years he’s pitched for them, 505. His ERA has been lower than the team’s during that period, but he’s also long been noted for the disparity between his actual ERA and the much higher one his underlying numbers suggest he should have (the FIP stat). His projected ERA actually comes pretty close to matching the team average over those years.

One way to look at it is the lousy W-L record is just another form of things evening out.

21. Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Man, what a game. Dubs were crackin’ and peelin’ there at the end. My clock management proves to suck most of all.
    Still, Game 1. Very nice.

22. blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Looking forward to Morse coming to Mt. Sherpa on Monday . . . he’s 20-for-40 in his career at the launching pad.

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm

let’s see if Boch gets him more than 2 at bats but I’m guessing not since he doesn’t want Morse clogging up LF in that spacious park.
      I am not a fan of pulling Morse. He’s got too big of a bat. And he’s not a bad outfielder (minus that horrible first pre-season game we saw vs the A’s in the BB series).
      I like Morse playing, defense or offense, as often as his body allows….

23. Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 3:52 pm

this is so obvious it’s hilarious and you know that Dubs fan had been talking shit before he tossed his water. The fact that he tossed the empty cup on to the table into the guy is the dead give away.

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 4:05 pm

only a freaking idiot wouldn’t know he had a full cup of water in his hand. Plus, Griffin is a known douchbag. Passive aggressive pussy is eating shit right now, down 1-0

24. James said, on April 19, 2014 at 3:59 pm

In order to generate some offense, I took things into my own hands today with my annual visit to the batting cages. Always set it to max velocity and take 100 cuts. By my count, I hit two that went yard, and maybe another 20 or so fell in for knocks. Mrs. James had a very different interpretation of the results. I was sweating and breathing harder by the end than Pablo after legging out a triple. Who has time for exercise?

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 4:06 pm

how did you rank out your OPS+ especially considering the netting?

• James said, on April 19, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Back drop and lighting are poor, and the mechanical arm hides its delivery better than Luis Tiant. You have to pick up the balls yourself after each round or so and refill the basket. It’s a tough old yard.

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 4:17 pm

or did the netting never come into play?
        LQTM

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 4:19 pm

So while they aren’t the same conditions, it’s difficult to rake there, same as AT&T, right?

• James said, on April 19, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I’m glad you’re able to appreciate the challenges I faced in a way the Mrs. couldn’t.

25. James said, on April 19, 2014 at 6:14 pm

That was more line drive than sinker induced ground ball, Kruk.

26. Bozo said, on April 19, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Nice jack by the Beast.

27. James said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Several other well hit balls not falling tonight, though.

28. sammy said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Offense bites. Posey already looking tired. With so many characters, team is lacking in excitement.

29. blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Frickin’ amazing that retread former closer, Jordan Walden has to rescue “sure thing” Craig Kimbrel, who gave up 2 runs and loaded the bases against the Mets, almost blowing Santana’s excellent pitching performance.

30. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:31 pm

7th inning, one run. What did I not miss?

31. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:33 pm

You’d better start helping soon, James.

• James said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Unfortunately, I have to leave to attend a birthday party in the City. You and Bozo will have to lead the rally.

32. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Who knew there were this many Bob Gibsons in the league.

• Bozo said, on April 19, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Gibson is 78, so we’ve got this, right?

33. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I was gonna say this is when they score an insurance run and we score one in the ninth.

34. Bozo said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Gotta get three

35. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:12 pm

The 3 pea shooters are up.

36. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Pfffffffffffffftfffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

To say these guys are anemic gives anemia a good name.

37. Bozo said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I meant three runs, not three outs. Damn.

38. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I don’t know what that means, but this is fucked up.

39. unca_chuck said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:21 pm

James, you still think it’s the pitching?

• James said, on April 19, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Chuck, what’s “it”? What do you think the Giants current record and stats mean?

40. Macdog said, on April 19, 2014 at 8:23 pm

At least a 2-run loss hurts a little less.

41. snarkk said, on April 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Giants need to start hitting. Panda needs to get his head out of his ass at the plate. Posey needs to just go to right field and get his bat started. And, Bochy needs to do something different to get some offense moving — steals, hit and run, and oh yeah, try some bunts for hits, etc…

42. DJLoo said, on April 20, 2014 at 12:09 am

A visit to Coors is usually a good wake up call. At least it was for Nate…

43. DJLoo said, on April 20, 2014 at 12:16 am

The Cleveland Indians series oughtta be interesting next week. I wonder if they’ll attempt some inane tribute to Willie’s catch on Vic Wertz 60 years later.

44. Raymond said, on April 20, 2014 at 7:59 am

Flav- agree about Hector…can’t have that liability, especially when the bats go cold!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers