Brother, Can you Spare a Run?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 20, 2014

The Giants have now gone three straight games without scoring at least 2 runs and that’s the first time that’s happened since 2011. That blows me away. I feel like we went dozens of games straight last season without scoring at least two.

Snapping out of this dry spell won’t be easy against Robbie Erlin, a lefty who will surely give them trouble. Posey is the key, if he mashes him, as he often does a lefty, we might stand a chance of scoring 2 runs today.

I’m excited to watch Timmy today. I refuse to believe he’s been as bad as everyone is saying. 17k’s/1bb. I expect him to pitch well.

Not much else to say. This place gets quiet when the bats go limp and lifeless……

About these ads

1. DJLoo said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:01 am

Flav, your post made me think of a guy I worked with at a big company for about 8 years. Whenever we would pass each other in a corridor or see each other in the elevator, one of us would say:
    “Whaddaya say?”. The other would answer: “What can be said?”
    In 8 years it never went beyond that.

2. zumiee said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:01 am

The Giants need one of their hitters to use a 34 ton bat. Well, I say that just to talk about a really cool baseball book I’m reading. It’s a very interesting, entertaining, and well-written book that was recommended by a Flapper (Bozo, maybe?), called “The 34 Ton Bat: The Story of Baseball as Told Through Bobbleheads, Cracker Jacks, Jockstraps, Eye Black, and 375 Other Strange and Unforgettable Objects,” by Steve Rushin.
    Every Flapper would enjoy it, I have no doubt. Rushin takes the reader on his journey as a baseball fan, on a history of baseball told from new and creative angles, with a lot of heart, without being maudlin or overly sentimental. Awesome book.

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

I thought you might enjoy that one, Zum. After seeing the name Harry Stevens on the beer cups at the Stick for so many years, it was cool to read his story. And for everyone that prefers a sausage or hot dog to a tripe sandwich, be grateful to old Harry.

3. Raymond said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:03 am

true, true, bout ‘da bats! I think when the stop scoring runs everyone tightens up and tries the hit homeruns…I was at Thursday day game and it was so maddening to see Wilson get out of that jam in the 8th!! They were so impatient…

4. unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:06 am

To James’ replay to my last comment. It’s the hitting.

Looking at our stats, our hitting numbers aren’t horrible, but when the pitching got better, the losses started piling up. Meaning the hitting is the problem. Not the pitching.

In other words, in the first few games, the hitting overcame the bad pitching. Now, the pitching is fine, but the hitting isnt providing anything to support it.

It’s the old axiom, would you be happier winning one game 10-1 and losing the next two 1-0? Great hitting numbers, the pitching numbers are great, but your record is 1-2.

5. willedav said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:06 am

Posey is 1 for his last 25. Pagan had couple hits and a SB night before (and didn’t score) but none yesterday.
    Henry had a good line in the Chron: ” After going 1-9 with RISP Friday the Giants solved that problem Saturday by not having a guy in scoring position.” Even Morse with the bomb is 4 for last 24.
    It’s not bochy’s style, but really, he doesn’t have small ball type guys on the team. Look at yesterday LU with all regs in there, Arias at 2b—who is supposed to bunt for a hit? Friday they stole 3 bags and still only scored once.

Day game in sunny Diego followed by couple nights in Sherpaland should wake up the bats.
    I still say I don’t mind torture games if pitching and D are going well. That’s a better formula than if the SP gets slapped around and you have to try and win 9-8.

6. zumiee said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:09 am

Here’s the beginning of Rushin’s book. It has a Giants connection:

It arrives on a gray November day: a brown box filled with packing peanuts, which I brush away with an archaeologist’s care to reveal a caramel-colored catcher’s mitt—palm up, so that as I reach for it, it appears to reach for me, as if straining to be exhumed from a cardboard coffin.
    The mitt belonged to Jimmy Boyle, who wore it for the entirety of his major-league baseball career, which consisted of a single inning of a single game for the New York Giants on June 20, 1926. With his team trailing the defending world champion Pittsburgh Pirates 8–0 in the top of the ninth inning, manager John McGraw summoned Boyle to replace Paul Florence behind home plate at the Polo Grounds. The twenty-two-year-old Boyle, about to realize his lifelong ambition, quietly slipped this mitt over his left hand.
    Eighty-five years later, I remove the mitt from its box and instinctively secure it over my nose and mouth, like supplemental oxygen. I take a deep drag—of leather, sweat, and smoke, of a hot Sunday in Harlem, of late-afternoon shadows slanting across the infield, and forty thousand dry-throated spectators lamenting Prohibition.
    And then I slide my fingers into the mitt—its pocket molded by the palm of a dead man—and shake hands for the first time with the grandfather I never knew.
    Jimmy Boyle was my mother’s father. He died of leukemia on Christmas Eve of 1958, eight years before I was born, but a photograph of him in his home Giants uniform—in a catcher’s crouch, wearing this mitt, his short-brimmed cap tugged low across his forehead—hung in the house I grew up in, forever silent under glass.

In the photo, Boyle’s thick wool socks are pulled high. The Giants uniform is long-sleeved, made of heavy flannel, eight ounces to the yard and spectacularly ill suited to a hot summer in Manhattan, to which Boyle had traveled by Pullman car, summoned there from Cincinnati on the Gothic letterhead of “The New York Base Ball Club, John J. McGraw, Vice Pres. & Manager.”
    In New York, Boyle signed a contract with the Giants for $250 a month, minus a $30 security deposit for the two gorgeous uniforms he was issued. He couldn’t keep the home whites or road grays, but he kept everything else from his one summer in the big leagues, including his mitt, and a letter detailing his travel expenses to New York, and a note he wrote on July 24 from the Hotel Chase in St. Louis, on the fifteenth day of a sixteen-game road trip:
    “To the best mother in all of this big world,” it said, the Palmer script leaning backward, as if reflecting the sudden speed of his new life. “May I realize an ambition that I have harbored since birth.” He signed it “James,” then added “New York Giants,” as if it were an honorific, like “M.D.” or “Esquire.”
    Which of course it was.
    Is it any wonder he saved these things? Having seldom traveled outside Cincinnati—where he and professional baseball were born—Boyle was a big-league ballplayer for forty-three days before that Pullman carriage turned into a pumpkin. Upon his release—he’d only played once in six weeks—he pressed some of his baseball mementos into a small scrapbook, on whose title page he had written, in that impeccable hand:
    Little scrap book of mine
    When your pages are dusty and gray
    Then will your contents call me back
    To the days that I’ve passed away.
    He passed the scrapbook to his only son, my uncle Pat, now retired in Reno, who gave it to me as a souvenir. Souvenir: a French irregular pronominal verb that means “to remember.”
    I also got the mitt, and the contract countersigned by Giants secretary Eddie Brannick, whose first job with the club—as a sixteen-year-old in 1908—required him to guard the team’s supply of baseballs for the penurious McGraw, who knew that those balls were even then an object of desire to fans, players, and anyone else seeking a piece of the national memory.
    These objects—catcher’s mitt, contract, and scrapbook—had been playing dead for eighty-five years. Now they were suddenly in my home—shaking hands, sitting up, rolling over.
    Could they also be taught to speak?

• James said, on April 20, 2014 at 10:48 am

The impeccable hand has given way to the jazz hand.

7. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

Flav, I expect Timmy to pitch well too . . . Streaming him in one FL league and he is also my starter today in Fan Duel as well. Key fact – NO HITTER AGAINST THE PADRES LAST YEAR. Yes, indeed! Go Timmy . . . Go Giants!

8. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 9:26 am

I’m still a big boxing fan . . . Shout out to Bernard Hopkins, 49 years young and In his third reign with a 175-pound title. He dropped Beibut Shumenov in the 11th round, and retained his belt for the second time and added another strap, making him the oldest fighter in history to unify titles.

• salty said, on April 20, 2014 at 10:07 am

Ruben (Hurricane) Carter, dead at 76.

• DJLoo said, on April 20, 2014 at 10:19 am

He was scheduled to fight Hopkins in July.

9. James said, on April 20, 2014 at 9:43 am

Chuck, even with the slump, the Giants 10-8 record right now puts them on pace to win 89 games. They have outscored their opponents 74-66. Those runs scored/runs allowed figures projected out over the season also put them on pace to win 89 games.

The old “axiom” you cite is the same belief that, over 162 games, the distribution of runs scored is somehow under a team’s control and that you can judge the offensive play of a team based on when they score. You can’t. If you have 2 teams that score 650 runs that both play in similar ballparks, what will largely differentiate them are the other factors like how well they pitched, not whether or not one team was consciously controlling the distribution of their scoring. That part is luck.

If you want to make a case that Posey, Pence and Pablo will suck all year and that Belt, Pagan, Morse, and Crawford won’t sustain their current numbers, then, yes, the offense will be subpar this year.

I still see a team that has so far relied far too much on unsustainable bullpen numbers, and a shaky starting staff that has put together some better starts of late in pitching friendly ATT and PETCO.

10. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 9:55 am

Pablo on the bench today. I hope he gains some weight. LOL.

11. Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 10:59 am

In keeping up with the offensive futility theme, here’s a cool story from the NY Post about Al Leiter’s epic pitching performance 30 years ago today at Central Regional HS in NJ, where my daughter goes to school. They still talk about this game in these parts. This year’s baseball team has a stud pitcher who is going to Alabama. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to see him pitch since his games always coincide with my daughter’s softball games and he only pitches once a week. And Leiter’s brother is Mark, former Giant and co-Willie Mac winner with Mark Carreon in ’95.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 11:25 am

Mac, unrelated, but you being out there you’d probably know – Carlos Gomez just got a triple and a bench clearing fight occurred – was he kicked out or injured? Thanks (important because he is on all my FL teams).

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 11:32 am

Forget it Mac . . . Just found out he was ejected.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 11:37 am

Looks like Gomez was showing up Cole. LOL.

• Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 11:45 am

Yeah, dumb-ass Gomez was stylin’ out of the box thinking he hit a homer. Looks like your SOL with him the rest of the day, lol.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 12:05 pm

He did this shit last season too. I’m not certain, but I think he had an incident with Brian McCann last season, but he saw the error of his ways and ended up apologizing to McCann. I understand both of them are all “Kumbaya” now.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Seems to me that brawl was pretty much on pitcher Cole. Gomez styled a little after hitting the ball, but it wasn’t that bad. Cole started it by taking the effort to go over to Gomez and mouth off at him at third, then started walking away to the mound like a chickenS. You’ll notice in the brawl Cole is near the mound most of the time — he started the fracas, then kept out of it — total ChickenS move. These basebrawls are always totally dumb. Seems to me more than a few pitchers make “show up” type moves (fist pumps, arm pumps, pointing, yelling, etc.) after striking guys out; I don’t see batters running out to confront pitchers doing that…

12. Nipper said, on April 20, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Giants need a team of DH’s……..ah……I mean… pitch hitters!

13. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Maybe the Giants can get in a brawl today. Might mean one of ‘em actually hit a triple…

14. Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm

2 runs!

15. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Or a home run, eh snarkk?

16. Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I can’t believe all the run support the Giants are giving Timmy.

17. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Inexcusable on Posey’s part.

18. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Whew! Frickin’ heart attack city again.

19. Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm

4 runs!

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 pm

My god man, the run support is amazing.

20. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 pm

.3 more and snarkk is happy. :-)

21. James said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Let’s hope that Timmy can support the offense today, something the pitching wasn’t able to do in some losses earlier this year.

22. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 1:52 pm

4-0 Giants ahead in the 2nd?
    WTF?…

23. Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Gotta love replay.

24. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Another play showing that all scoring plays should be subject to automatic review. In any case, that shows how replay is valuable when it’s done right. Saved the Giants from giving up another run, and maybe Lincecum from getting run early…

25. James said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:20 pm

It’s good to see the swipe tag working, too.

26. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:23 pm

After a long, tiring inning for Lincecum, nice of the Gyros hitters to give him a rest by making two outs in only 3 pitches ahead of Lincecum coming up — he took 5 pitches to make his out. WTF — don’t the coaches tell these guys to just take a pitch or two?…

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Yeah, dollars to donuts, he’s pfffftttt! after this inning.

• James said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm

If he goes “pffft,” it won’t be because Hicks — who has been pretty great — hit a line drive to third early in the count.

• Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I think the replay review took longer than those ABs.

27. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Lincecum will be lucky to last 6 — this ump isn’t giving the low strike, and Timmy can’t live up in the zone for very long as his stuff gets weaker…

28. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:30 pm

It’s exhausting watching Lincecum.

29. Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Nice inning by Timmy.

30. James said, on April 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Re BF’s mention of the 2011 Giants, the Padres look like they are ready to have a similar season.

31. Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:01 pm

And another good inning by Tim.

32. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

A bridge too (fucking) far Bochy . . . Fuck!

33. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Timmy is such a conundrum. Good innings spliced in between fits of wildness and now the gopher ball jumps up again. He’s still got something — you don’t strike out 7 MLB batters in 6 innings without some stuff. Just about a #4 guy, I guess. 6 HRs off Timmy in 21 innings. Ouch. I’m getting a not-so-good vibe about this game…

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm

It’s a credit to Tim that he pitched out of trouble, as his WHIP was very bad at 1.50 . . . Recognizing that, I have no fucking idea why Bochy chanced going an extra inning with him. He was running on fumes (regardless of how frickin’ tired the bullpen was). Stupid calculation in my mind.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Nevertheless, if the Giants pull this one out, I guess Bochy wins the bet.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Bochy is apparently still figuring out to handle Timmy. 6 innings and 2 runs given up sounds better than 6 and 3. I was on the fence there about keeping him in/ calling it a day. He’d thrown just over 100, and Affeldt was warm, so I can’t really jump on Bochy for seeing if he could sneak a couple more outs out of Timmy, and saving the Pen a little. It just blew up on him with the gopher ball. Bochy was probably going to go with Tim until he let a baserunner on…

34. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Here’s where I start to question Bochy on pulling Morse so early when up by just a coupla runs. Up by just one run now, Morse would be up here in the 8th. Who would you rather have up needing insurance — Morse or Blanco? So far, Morse seems serviceable in LF, he won’t make the sliding circus catch, but will make the routine and slightly challenging catches…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Well, Blanco almost made me happy by being wrong! Almost…

35. manny said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Nady made that play look a lot harder than it should of been.

36. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Snarkk, he is a “match up” pitcher – good to great starts against weaker hitting line ups like the Padres. I suspect the wheels would have completely fallen off against a good hitting team like Atlanta, St. Louis, or Arizona (that killed him for 15 runs in 15 innings during his first 2 games this season . . . ugh).

37. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I don’t understand putting LHP Lopez in for LHP Affeldt — when Affeldt looked sharp last inning and didn’t throw many pitches…

38. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm

That DB was special.

39. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Meanwhile, closer Kimbrel for the Braves has arm problems, and is out for at least a few days. The guy was nails the last two years of flamethrowing. Maybe Sabes is right — no reason to pay a lot for closers, they won’t last long. Beane seemed to have that opinion, until he strangely paid big dollars for Johnson, and he’s sucked…

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Yeah, Kimbrel totally self destructed during yesterday’s game, with Jordan Walden bailing him out. I’m still scratching my head regarding the former boy genius, Billy Beane backing up the armored truck to Johnson’s driveway. Stupid, especially when you consider all the quality bullpen arms the A’s have (Cook, Doolittle, etc.).

• James said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm

At the risk of cursing him today, I’ll again mention how good Romo has been. That kind of consistency and longevity from any bullpen guy is uncommon.

40. Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 3:55 pm

3 hits overall, and none since the second inning. Or what we’d call a breakout game for the offense.

41. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Scutaro is looking every day more like Franchez part deux. Anybody want to guess that we’ll someday hear out of the blue about a back surgery or something similarly ominous?…

42. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Woo hoo! Good recovery by Romo. Looks like we’re in for a season of one run nailbiters.
    Bring it on…

43. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Collective sigh . . . LOL.

44. Macdog said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Whew. Looked like Tony Romo throwing the first couple of batters before order was restored.

45. Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Another one run won.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Well, I’m not Flav, but if it was up to me, that was POTD. Hilarious clown.

46. snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Without the homeplate call replay review and reversal in the 3rd inning, maybe we lose this game, and maybe Timmy doesn’t even get out of the third. And, that call wasn’t even close to being right, the ump was in a terrible position to make the call — Posey tagged Nady when Nady’s hand was at least 6″ away from the plate. Exhibit A for replay being a good thing…

47. pawliekokonuts said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:40 pm

zumiee, and by extension, Bozo,
    Wow. The excerpt posted at 8:09am from the Steve Rushin book is utterly delightful. I lapped it up. Exquisite. Many thanks.

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:54 pm

It’s a pretty cool book Pawlie. When he wrote about the ballpark organ players playing Satin Doll, I almost slapped my head at the vivid memories of hearing that as a was a kid.

48. pawliekokonuts said, on April 20, 2014 at 4:51 pm

On Thursday, as I was driving back from Stamford, CT, after seeing my Mom, 97, I caught some of the Yanks-Rays game on the radio while crawling through Tappan Zee Bridge traffic over the Hudson River, Manhattan in the sunset to my left. It is hard to imagine any sporting event on radio having more corny commercial tie-ins, from outdoor or indoor temperature to first run or scoreboard or strikeout or walk, than Yankees baseball. It seems that every pitch has a sponsor. Granted, this is nothing new per se in baseball, as likely documented in the Steve Rushin book. But the rampant commercialism is now a self-parody. So, I called Hart Seely the next day and suggested he write a parody for The New Yorker. He said it’s already been done, in the NY Times, by someone else. Hart is so funny. “The pitcher painted the corner on that one. You too can paint the corners with Dutch Boy Paint.” I’m telling you, it is endless, owing to the financial challenges of radio.

So then I told Hart Seely about our very own zumiee’s Vin Scully parody. I tracked it down and sent a link to him here.

Guess what, Hart put it on his Yankees blog.

Nice! Some love for The Flap, too!

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:08 pm

haha, that’s great. ZOOM deserves to be recognized for that fantastic post.
      Pawlie, the tireless work you do promoting the Flap to the world is awesome. Thank you.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:14 pm

This is brilliant! I recall the discussion of Vin Scully (or at least the one I participated in), but I missed Zumiee’s comment. Glad I got a chance to read it. Funny!.

• Chipower9 said, on April 21, 2014 at 8:49 am

Very cool for you to spread the love of the Flap, Pawlie. I remember the discussion that day about Scully, but like Steve, I missed zumie’s post. That’s fricking pricelss and so cool that it got some love on another blog (dig the reference to the Flap as a “sister blog”).

• wswin said, on April 20, 2014 at 7:22 pm

very neat pawlie…

49. Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Agree completely with Snarkk’s 4:33. If that call stands or doesn’t get reviewed, Timmy could easily have spit the bit on the next hitter. I was driving home from Tahoe, didn’t see it, but the Giants announcers were saying “If this doesn’t get reversed, there is no point to replay.” Sounded obvious. And the return from NY was quick, seemed like only a minute.
    Those are the ones I want them to get right. Reverse the obvious ones, don’t spend 5 minutes on the borderline calls.
    But look what happened, that one replay reversal MAY have saved the game for the Giants. Timmy was totally on the ropes after that triple, an implosion was looming.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Yep. The thing is on these obviously blown calls, they are blown because the umps are out of position to actually see the play. They are GUESSING at what happened, they don’t actually see it. This one, the ump should be on the first base side of the plate to see the play in front of him, instead, he’s in back of and to the side of the plate…

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 6:49 pm

and his body language told the tale, no one calls safe the way he did and actually believes it. He was hopin’ he was right more than he was believin’ it…..

50. Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Happy Easter from B-Craw and his family.

51. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Happy Easter.
    Went to check the Minor League scores. 7 shut out innings for Escobar, much needed outing. “A” and “AA” kids get the day off for an Easter Egg Hunt..
    Velveeta shortage! Thank God I buried some 8 years ago- it’s still “good”..
    Having ham tonight. Definition of “eternity”: 2 people, 1 Ham..
    Ok, OK, I’m no Loo..

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Twin!
      Good to see you.
      Me and K8 8 beef jerky and rasberries on the way home this afternoon. Not sure if that counts as an *Easter dinner* but it’s our last one for the day so it’s gonna have to. Tired as fuck. She’s already asleep, lol. Long weekend.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Thought I’d stop in for Easter.
        What a stretch of Whiffle ball lately. I laid down when it was 4 zip and woke up when Romo was marking his territory. Hi to Katy. She’ll remember me, just tell her I’m the guy who made you throw your keyboard through the window..

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 6:53 pm

lol. She knows your name, I’ll leave it at that. :)

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:51 pm

We’re having ham, too — half a spiral is warming up in the oven. TJ’s, which is just fine. Honeybaked requires a second mortgage, and I don’t think their pigs wash, either. With a solid mid-coast Pinot, should be a nice celebration, along with the Giants win…

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Obviously, something is amiss in the SF bay area. Perhaps, body snatchers or similar aliens. I spoke with my Mom this morning and she told me she was having guests for dinner . . . The main entree? Ham.

52. Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:43 pm

And CarGo left the game today with knee tendinitis. One less CarGo is a team I wanna play.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hahaha . . . Tulo tweaked his hammy last week. Dollars to donuts, the comments in the local paper are already gearing up to say, “. . . Here we go again.” Sheesh, I think those 2 guys have only played one season of 140 games plus together.

The Rockies have played at a .523 clip when CarGo and Tulo start (231-211) compared with .421 (155-213) when they don’t, according to Stats Inc. Since 2009, CarGo’s first season with the Rockies, he has played an average 121 games. Tulo, who missed most of 2012 because of a serious groin injury, has played an average of 118 games per season during that span.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Who’d a thunk it? Warriors hung on for a 5 point win when the Clippers and GS miss 23 straight free throws. Time for another nap before dinner See ya..

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 6:56 pm

they were leaking hard at the seams in the 4th quarter. Did you see my post yesterday?
        Flavor said, on April 19, 2014 at 1:51 pm (Edit)
        I’m in Reno right now. Tried to get a bet down on the Dubs money line (+260). I got to the window and the game had just started so I got shut out. We’ll see if I’m pissed about my clock management when the game ends. I really liked them today, I thought that 7.5 pt line just because Bogut was out was BS.

Irritating. Missed the bet by like 1 min.
        Oh well. Had I bet them on the $ line the ref would have actually called that late foul on Draymond against Paul and I would have ultimately lost. So, in the end, my team won and I didn’t lose.
        I can live with that as best of both worlds.

53. Flavor said, on April 20, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Carlos Gomez is a clown, that’s not the first time he’s gone bezerk on the diamond. I’ve always been someone who thinks baseball players take themselves too seriously but when you flip your bat and slowly admire your….triple then you can go fuck yourself. I’m not defending Cole, I just think Gomez is a clown……….

54. James said, on April 20, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Burgers at Penrose in Oakland, right after the game ended. New Orleans party music provided by the California Honeydrops, the kind of band that might have made a bigger splash back in the early 80s. Still, a lot of fun and legit enough to play with Trombone Shorty a couple of times.

55. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Monday breakfast-Ham and Eggs
    Lunch-Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
    Dinner- Scalloped Potatoes w/Ham
    Tuesday breakfast – Leftover Scalloped Potatoes w/Ham…..
    Lunch- Ham and Spinach Croquettes
    Dinner-Ham Hock and White Bean Soup
    Wednesday – freeze the rest of the frigging Ham

• James said, on April 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm

The Xmas ham from the wife’s relations in Arkansas is a gift that’s still giving.

56. DJLoo said, on April 20, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I had a chocolate bunny and an Amstel Light.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Might as well go full Heineken with a Chocolate bunny…

57. Nipper said, on April 21, 2014 at 4:08 am

My wieners and beans were great! Man this is living!

58. willedav said, on April 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

Gomez is what he is, but imo it goes hand in hand with way too much celebration shit everywhere. OK you hit what you thought was a HR–Hank Aaron hit 750 some odd, so f-ing what? Even in the 715th off Al Downing, he’s just ambling his way around the bases with his head down same way he did all the others. Wtf is so special about these guys that they gotta go through this act all the time?
    And if Cole didn’t like it, he should stfu and make better pitches.

59. Alleykat said, on April 21, 2014 at 8:27 am

Guarantee win yesterday, Timmy never loses on 420 day!😄

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 21, 2014 at 8:53 am

Every day is 4/20 for Lincecum.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers