Buster Posey Needs to Get it Going

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 23, 2014

If this wasn’t happening in Colorado, I doubt so many fans would be lamenting the offense. But there are obvious red flags about the Giants bats and they will be waving wildly long after the team leaves Sherpaville.

If I was going to point a finger at one particular player it would quickly be pointed at Buster Posey. I don’t doubt his effort and this is obviously a complex and layered problem, but guys like Hicks or Arias aren’t counted on to carry the team. And in dark times like these, someone has to step up and lead the way to a better place.

Buster is hitting a pathetic .229 this year but his struggles are not just about this year. In the second half of 2013 he hit .244 with a measly 2 home runs. You wanna be the man then BE THE MAN. He gets paid the most. He gets the commercial deals. He’s the former MVP and batting title winner. He’s supposedly in the prime of his career. I don’t want to hear anything about him being tired or worn down. If he’s that sensitive he shouldn’t be playing catcher.

I’m not putting this all on Buster but I am putting it on him to lead the team, if he’s able, out of this funk. If they truly can’t hit as a team that’s fine, I’m sure Sabean will be chalking this up as another bad penny year soon enough. But Buster can hit.

So start fucking hitting.

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on April 23, 2014 at 6:42 am

Wait, I thought it was the pitching that was hosing us. :) In the first 21 games, Buster’s .229 BA is pretty much the team average (.228). How about that team 72 walks to 172 Ks totals? I thought the bench looked stronger this year but they’re about what you’d expect from the pitchers. Average wise. Adrianza leads the group with a .160, Arias with a .152, Blanco a strong .125 and Hector the game winner clocks in with .120. In 8 ABs, Perez has yet to get a hit. Now that just begs more playing time for those guys, doesn’t it?
    Everyone seems to be pressing, maybe they need to get Dunston back on the bench to loosen things up or if it’s becomes a lingering problem,get on the “Bat” phone to Mr. Bonds.

2. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 6:54 am

Flavor, I agree with your analysis of Buster. In fact, I follow him more than most players because he is on one of my pro money leagues and along with Miggy Cabrera (another player I have), they’ve both face planted thus far this season. Two former MVPs that have not performed anywhere near MVP level, unless the “M” stands for Mendoza.

So, last night I went to the game and I really enjoyed the pitching battle between Bum and umm . . . uhh . . . ehh . . . Franklin Morales? Really? Sheesh, I could not believe we didn’t destroy this relief pitcher that was only starting because Anderson and Chacin are on the DL. This coupled with the Giants not taking advantage of De La Rosa the night before (he had been putrid prior to getting healthy against the Giants hitting), does NOT BODE WELL FOR THE ORANGE AND BLACK. In short, if you can’t hit against Morales and De La Rosa at Sherpa Mountain, then where can you hit?

However, the final indignity last night was three-fold: 1. Me telling my date how we were going to destroy her team (HAHAHAHA); 2. Floundering against a closer older than Methuselah; and, 3. Not getting sex last night after the game. Grrrrrrrrrrr . . .

3. willedav said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:26 am

Posey got SF early lead sunday with the 2 run shot, but nothing since and he is now 3-35.
    Have only seen last few innings in Colo, but what’s up with Pagan? Flems and miller said he was “hobbled” and not moving well in the OF. According to Henry, Pagain says, “I’m fine.” Hes 0- Sherpa land I think, and not having him on base hurts.
    I think James is right about Abreu being best option for 2b. A horrible ST doomed him, but I can’t see Hicks lasting. Like others his BA and OB are dropping steadily, and he’s the weakest defensively middle IF. Maybe if he plays regularly in AAA he can improve range and glove skills.
    Liked the start of the rallys with good ABs and solid line drive hits to opp field by Morse and later blanco after Crawford took a good BB…only to be followed by Hacktor waving at ball out of zone and Pablo with the first pitch GIDP. Ugh.
    Once again Bum the offensive highlight, and great complete game. I’m sure his teammates are embarrassed.

• Bozo said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:42 am

I think Hicks, Adrianza and Abreu are out of options. I think Abreu got through the waiver process because of his injuries (I think that’s right, but can’t remember). I don’t think the Giants are ready to cut any of those guys just yet, so barring an injury or trade, I think Abreu will be in Fresno a bit longer.

• WilcoJoe said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:52 am

I get so tired of hearing that those three are out of options. It’s not like we’re trying to protect the next Ted Williams…If they get picked up elsewhere, so be it. No big loss.

• Bozo said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:11 am

I get your point Joe, but apparently the Giants don’t agree. Either that or I’m missing something, which is always in the mix.

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:24 am

I think you are right re: options, John. And I get where Joe is coming from, but decent utility guys don’t grow on trees…obviously the Giants are not ready to jettison any of them, or we would be looking at a different bench, right now. I just don’t see where Abreu coming up would make a huge difference at this point.

4. willedav said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:31 am

Might be time to change the BBOTD too…hasn’t been able to inspire a rise out of the team from “flaccid.”

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:36 am

Agreed. I’ll get on that tonight after work

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:25 am

Atta boy…maybe that will get the flaccid bats cracking. WTF…sure cannot hurt…

5. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:04 am

Buster is hurt he’s just not gonna admit it. When he collided at 1B with Goldshit I’m sure it messed up his neck and shoulder and he hasn’t been the same player since.
    Same with Pagan, he was barely moving out there the other night with his right leg,there gamers,but it’s not helping the team right now..

6. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:29 am

I agree on Posey, Kat. There has been much discussion about it on KNBR and elsewhere. But dammit, if he is hurt, then he needs to do whatever it takes to get right. And if that means taking a break for a few games and getting treatment, so be it.

Believe me guys. I am just as frustrated as the rest of you. But if you go back and look at past years (esp. 2010 and 2012), you’ll see they had their struggles (I shared info on this a couple days back). To get shut-down like that at Mt. Sherpa sucks, but it IS April, and IMNSHO way to early to get wound around the axle, and to start looking for a good ledge.

Get a win today, and get home and begin trying to turn things around.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:34 am

Posey? Posey?? Next you’re going to tell us you don’t like applie pie! This post is just un-American.

8. willedav said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:46 am

Anybody see the replay f/u on Yunel Escobar yesterday? Poor guy called out on strikes when count was 4-2. Maddon said afterward something about having a couple Guinness day before. Didn’t impact the game, but dang, after checking in with replay they still got the count wrong.

9. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

The Giantshitters need to stop stinkin’ up the joint today.

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:11 am

No shit.

• zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:22 am

Of course, as pointed out last night, runs are a good thing. So, it’s a quandary. :)

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:40 am

Yes…quite the conundrum. I say score runs by the boatload and deal with the rest of it later!

10. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

I think the wrath on Posey is a bit heavy-handed. Sure…he’s the MVP, leader, face of the franchise…all that shit. But he is not the only guy not pulling his weight. Pence (although he is moving in the right direction), Pablo, Pagan is scuffling of late. Sure, Buster is supposed to be the leader, and I bet he is giving 110. Probalby doing extra BP, etc. The guy IS a pro. I think Kat is right and he is still feeling some effects of that clothes-lining play at 1st against the D-Backs. Not trying to make excuses for the dude, but I am sure he is giving it his all.

This team as a whole needs to find their hitting shoes. And again, I think it is way to early to start tripping heavily on this. No one is running away with the division…lots of ball to play.

Looking forward to Friday night’s game and seeing some of you mugs. I believe it will be someone’s BD that night…might have to buy him a BD beverage.

11. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:23 am

Paga sure looked slow running to 1st on the grounder in the 9th yesterday. I think he’s dinged up as well. And if Posey is trying to gut out an injury, they need to plant his ass on the bench. Last year was a large turd for him. Did he help himself or the team staying the lineup? No. Bring up fucking Susac. Do SOMETHING. In my mind, there’s othing worse than a boring team, and this team is as boring as fucking fuck.

Giant shtters indeed. We should be distancing ourselves from the banged up dogs. We are. Unfortunately, it’s the wrong way.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:26 am

Pablo is also looking completely lost. He hasn’t hit a ball hard in 2 weeks. Pence is at least making loud outs. His shit should start dropping. I guess we should be fortunate we get this out of the way early.

Right?

13. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:27 am

The Phillies have been helping the Giants out by working over the Dodgers. That play last night that set up the winning run was a really weird one. I used the DirectTV replay feature to replay that play about 10 times, and I still couldn’t see exactly what happened to Crawford on that play. He never looked at Ramirez, but just heard the footsteps, I guess. It looked like Crawford was watching the ball the whole way, but somehow missed it, like the ball going past Buckner in the ’86 series. Just a real flukey thing. Ramirez was all over the map on the play; I have no idea what he was doing. It didn’t look like either guy called the ball.

14. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:38 am

Wrigley Field is 100 years old today. That’s pretty cool.
    Here’s a list of the ballparks, from oldest to newest, compiled by a guy named Bill Miller, with some of his notes at the end:

1) Fenway Park, Boston – 1912
    25) Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO – 2006
    26) Nationals Park, Washington, D.C. – 2008
    27) Citi Field, (Queens) New York – 2009
    27) Yankee Stadium, (Bronx) New York – 2009
    29) Target Field, Minneapolis, MN – 2010
    30) Marlins Park, Miami, FL – 2012

Only two stadiums, the Rogers Centre in Toronto and Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg still use artificial turf.

Fourteen ballparks, representing 47% of all the parks in MLB, have been built since the year 2000.

Camden Yards in Baltimore, at one time the showpiece of the return to the “retro” ballparks, is now the tenth oldest park in America.

No ballparks built in the 1920′s, ’30′s, 40′s, or ’50′s are still in existence, and only one each from the ’70′s and ’80′s are still in use today.

Since 1999, the only teams to have won a World Series after moving into a new stadium are the Giants and the Cardinals (twice each), the Phillies (won in 2008), and the Yankees (won in 2009.) It’s interesting to note that the Cardinals and the Yankees each won the World Series in their first year in their new parks. Also, the Tigers have been to two World Series since 2000, but lost them both.

Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles is capable of holding the most fans (56,000.)

Tropicana Field can hold the fewest (34,000.) There are currently seven ballparks that are designed to seat fewer than 40,000 people, including three that have been built since the year 2000.

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:53 am

Good stuff, Zumie…thanks for sharing…

• snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:18 am

I’ve been to just 7 of these parks. ATT, A’s toilet boil, Wrigley, Camden Yards, the Latrine, Citizen’s Bank, and Petco.
      I liked Wrigley the best other than ATT — the neighborhood surrounding it makes it great, with all the restaurants and pubs, plus arriving on the “El”. The place itself is a bit of a dump, but in a good way, the history gives it charm, along with the brick and ivy.
      Camden Yards was very good, nice park, pretty good downtown neighborhood amenities around it, too, and you can easily get there from DC via commuter train ride out of Union Station maybe 1/2 hour one way, you arrive right at the ballpark.
      Petco I really like. Nice park, surrounded by the Gaslight district. No downside, other than the marine layer does come in at night, but not as windy as ATT.
      Phillies park is fine, there’s just not much around it, and its about 5 miles South of the downtown, next to the Eagles stadium across the road.
      The Latrine I haven’t been to since mid-80s, I thought it was old then. Traffic in/out is just brutal.
      The Coliseum — what can you say — it stinks…

• WilcoJoe said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:23 am

Turner Field built in 1996 will be no more in a couple of years. I think the Braves are moving to a new park in the ‘burbs, which makes no sense whatsoever.

I actually will be attending my first games in Atlanta next weekend when the Giants come to town.

15. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:38 am

If Posey is hurt, DL him and catch Hector and bring up Susac. I’m not a believer in a guy playing at 70% for a month — that’s bogus. If he’s not hurt, then, WTF — start earning that $168 million. If they do DL Buster, it’ll be the usual — well, you know (no we didn’t) he’s had a neck strain for 3 weeks, and he tried to gut it out, but blah blah blah. As far as the rest are concerned, this bench sucks pipe at the plate, that’s not going to change a lot. At best the bench guys are .225-.250 hitters. You could have a successful short career waiting for Blanco to be a good hitter. Arias is just a utility guy. Hicks, Arianza, Abreu (if he comes up), Perez — these guys aren’t proven major leaguers, so expecting them to bust out of a “slump” is ludicrous. The team will start hitting at some point, but how much is anybody’s guess. They’ve got to be better hitters than last year, just the odds alone are against them being that bad again…

16. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:49 am

Chuck said: “We should be distancing ourselves from the banged up dogs. We are. Unfortunately, it’s the wrong way.” Acutally, we have lost no ground to the Bumbinos. One game back. A game over .500. Playing .500 ball on the road, and a game over at home. And again (last time I say it today)…it’s fucking April.

RE: slumps…not expecting the bench to bust outta anything and carry the team. But am looking for the regulars to get going.

Not sure how the hell you determine if Posey is hurt if he is asked, and says he is not.

Okay…I’m done on this offensive ineptitude. Hoping it is just a bad stretch (couple of bad series) and they get it straighted out…

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:58 am

Chi, My point was, we are healthy. LA isn’t. We should be 5 up on them instead of 1 back and falling.

Chi, you bench Posey for sucking then. If he won’t admit it, then all we have to go by is his suckitude. He sucked half oif last year and he said he was ‘tired.’ What now?

And Snarkk, I’d start Susac, not Sanchez. Seen enough of Sanchez so far.

• snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

Chuck, you’ve got a point re Sanchez. His D is still suspect, and he’s starting to go after bad pitches like Panda…

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:00 am

Well, we can all play armchair GM until the fucking cows come home, but they are not going to bench Posey. As legit as it may sound (if he is healthy and still sucking balls) that dog won’t hunt. And I doubt you see Susac before rosters expand…even with Hector starting to show cracks in his facade. He (Hector) royally pissed me off last night when he struck-out on the high heat (with runners on).

And I am tired of the weak offense, but the line-up is not going to change anytime soon. So pissing and moaning about it every day doesn’t do much of anything…unless it does make you feel better. If that’s the case…bitch to your heart’s desire.

I really could care less about the weak offense, as long as they win another title. Fuck, if they win a 3rd in five years this year, and do it while ranking low in runs scored and hitting .247 as a team…I could give a fuck.

I think the Giants lead the majors in one run games played. They just need to win more of them (you know…like they were just a week or so ago).

17. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:54 am

If 2nd base continues to be a black hole, I’d do something radical. I’d bring up Panik and see what happens. They did that with Crawford out of necessity, and he eventually got his defense going, and did not embarrass himself at the plate compared to his low expectations. Panik’s had 1600 PAs in the minors, and a full season each at high A and AA ball, that’s double what Belt had before they tossed him into the mix the first time. Panik’s had 90 PAs at Fresno with a .701 OPS and .304 BA. If 2b continues to be a mess, then in early June when he’s got half a season and 250 or so PAs in Fresno, bring him up and see if he can swim. If he can, by stretch drive he might have enough confidence to play under pressure. I heard Lurie talk with Doug Greenwald the Fresno announcer about Panik — Greenwald says he’s a real battler at the plate, he’ll take pitches, has a good eye and doesn’t take crappy ABs. Sounds good to me. If it’s crappy play with a bunch of utility dudes going nowhere vs. crappy play with a young guy that’s getting better, IMO there’s no reason to go with the vets — but that’s usually NOT the Giants way…

• WilcoJoe said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:26 am

I am all for bringing up Panik at this point. I don’t see any downside.

18. James said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:01 am

Thought experiment: the Giants have won games by 9-8 and 6-5 scores. If we had lost those 8-7 and 5-4, and won last night and last Friday against the Pads 3-2, would everyone feel better?

• snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:23 am

I like scoring. Like Chuck, I’m tired of a decade of constipated hitting and scoring. Love the titles, tired of the weakass hitting…

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:04 am

Just win baby! Low scoring, high scoring…I don’t give a fuck. Just win, and make the post-season. Anything can happen then.

19. DJLoo said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:01 am

I’d like to see Crawford hit second every day for a while…

20. Benedict JH said, on April 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

WTF is going on w the “G Men”?? Pathetic!!

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:10 am

It’s fucking APRIL. They had won the previous two home series, and now have lost the two on this short road trip. That shit happens, especially early in the year. And outside of the ass whoopin’ they got on Monday, they did not lose a game by more than 2 runs…so any of those games could have easily have been wins. IMO it is too early to get wrapped around the axle over one fucking road trip.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:29 am

Yeah, yeah. It’s just that the Dodgers are injured all over the place yet are ahead of us. We should be getting on top of them iinstead of sinking in the standings. When they get healthy they’ll roll.

21. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:19 am

James, the 9-8 and 6-5 games were the first week. Where we are now is 1-2, 0-1, 2-3. Short sample size? Sure. But the trent is we are scoring less and less. It’s also boooooooooooring as fuck. No one is getting that 2 out hit anymore. No one is moving things along. No one is doing anything. Pagan looks gimpy. Posey is anemic and hasn’t done shit since Goldy clotheslined him..The heart of the order heartless. Pence is at least making loud contact. Panda is not making ANY solid contact. Eat a peach, Panda. Eat a truckfull. The thing is, you can overcome bad pitching with solid hitting. Like we did in the 1st week. The pitching came around. The hitting has dropped off a cliff.

Like the opposite of the opening picture, you can’t win if you don’t score. I know this lays to waste your pitching theories, but it remains true. You can’t win if you don’t score. All the time. End of story.

Someone need to tip the spread, get laid, get hammered, have a fucking meeting, bench Posey and Panda. DO something. Like I said, there’s nothing worse than being a boring team. And we are as boring as can be. The game I saw vs Colo (Cain’s 1-0 loss) we didn’t get a runner to 2nd til the 7th inning. Against Sad Dog, we had ZERO runners in scoring position. So, yes, I’d rather lose 7-4 and win 3-1. Becuase it means the bats show signs of life.

Yeah there are good pitchers out there. Then there’s the stiffs who we make look like Cy Young. Yeah, we are a vet team. They should know the ways to come together and get rolling. But like last year (and 2008 and 09 before them), the team just staggers along waiting for the ‘vet presence’ to take over and right the ship. What if it doesn’t happen?

I’m not calling you out or anything, James. I’m just supremely pissed off at the abject failure of this team to score runs. Shitty pitchers in a mile-high stadium, and we get 3 runs in 2 games. This just so reminds me of the Ray-Ray days.

• Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:39 am

I can do boring as long as they win. Winning solves a lot. These last six games in which they have tanked offensively are a blip on the radar when considering the entire season.

22. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:36 am

As has been discussed…Belt in the 3 hole…

1.Blanco CF
    2.Pence RF
    3.Belt 1B
    4.Morse LF
    5.Sandoval 3B
    6.Sanchez C
    7.Crawford SS
    8.Hicks 2B
    9.Cain P

23. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:36 am

Hey…the powers that be must have been listening to all the chatter on The Flap…Posey is riding some pine today….

24. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 11:43 am

Just wish it was Susac behind the plate. Still like to see Crawfish in the 2 hole as well.

25. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Regarding the ballparks- I’ve been to 5 of them: Giants’, A’s’, Seattle’s, Dodgers’, and Angels’, although for the Angels’ stadium it was to watch a couple of 49er/Ram games on a couple of road-trips, in the years before the Angels’ ballpark was turned into baseball-only.
    Of those 5, the Giants’ ballpark and Seattle’s are the cream of the crop, although Dodger stadium is pretty good. The A’s’ stadium was ruined by Mt. Davis. The even sadder thing is that Mt. Davis is tarped now for Raider games, too.

I was talking to a White Sox fan in the mid-1990s, and he was talking about how the White Sox had a new stadium (in ’91) and then the next year Camden Yards opened, and White Sox fans immediately knew they were screwed. The new thing was going to be ballparks like Camden Yards, and the relatively brand new White Sox ballpark now felt like a dud.

26. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hey, wondering who that statue is in front of Coors Field?
    The Rockies don’t have any Hall of Famers yet, but that didn’t stop them from putting up a statue. The statue is called The Player. It’s a generic baseball player. That’s kind of cool or funny or sad. I’m not sure.

27. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I sneezed and I missed the Giants batting in the first inning.

28. ewisco said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I’m trying to remember the stadiums i’ve been in. Not in order: Fenway, old Yankee, Old Shea, Arlington, Wrigley, US Cellular, the BOB, Angels, A’s, ATT/Candlestick and the old Jack Murphy. all for baseball.

29. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

That thing with the Braves’ ballpark is bizarre. They’ve been in their ballpark less than 20 years and they want a new ballpark in a different location.

30. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, I got the Stick, ATT, the Murph, Fenway, Wrigley, Shea for baseball.

31. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Well, today’s game got sucky in a hurry.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Bite your tongue Zum.

32. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Morse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Hey now!

34. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Someone’s got to wake these fuckers up. It’s Pat the Bat II.

35. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Well, today’s game got unsucky in a hurry!! :)

36. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Camden Yards, Kingdome (old Seattle stadium), Candlestick, AT&T, Coors, Oakland Coliseum, and Metropolitan Stadium (which was actually in Bloomington, Minnesota and not Minneapolis).

I’m not certain, but I think Pawlie has us all beat.

• zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:13 pm

If we include extinct ballparks, I can add Candlestick and the Kingdome. The Kingdome was a trip. It was like being inside a gigantic overturned paper picnic bowl.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:15 pm

yeah, I saw a boat show in there. They filled it wath water. THAT was a trip . . .

And yeah, I forgot the Masoleum and Raley Field (Rivercats). Both AAA’s teams.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:30 pm

They use to call the Kingdome the Tomb. Over 700 seats had obstructed sight lines. Hilarious. I was at the Kingdome with my Air National Guard buddies when Willie Horton hit a towering fly ball which hit the speakers. Dude easily had a home run that turned into a single. LOL. However, I think Dave Kingman hit the roof of the Metrodome in 1984 or 1985 (the ball got stuck, ground rule double), and in 1985 he hit a speaker suspended from the roof of the Kingdome too.

Mike Schmidt hit a speaker in the Astrodome, 117 feet up, 300 feet from home plate. It dropped in for a single. LOL.

37. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Oh, fuck

38. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:30 pm

3 HRs for the rox? Fuck, Matt. Blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

39. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Well, here we go. Can the heart show some heart?

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Not certain about the other limp dicks, but in Morse I trust.

40. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Umm, that hurt.

41. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Fucking LeMahieu.

42. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there’s your Giants replay. Bases loaded, pitcher on the ropes, and the heart of the order coming up.

Neither Belt, Morse or Pablo can get the ball out of the infield.

43. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Neither Belt, Morse, or Pablo can get the ball out of the infield.

44. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:46 pm

weird.

45. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:47 pm

At least Morse did something . . . He was robbed of a hit. Fat ass and Belt have no excuse.

46. WilcoJoe said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I’ve been from Candlestick to AT&T, Oakland to Jack Murphy. Dodger Stadium to the ballpark in Arlington. Houston’s Astrodome and Minute Maid to south florida’s ballpark with too many names to mention. The old Yankee Stadium. I was trying to make that into a song like ” I’ve been everywhere” or “Willin” but it didn’t turn out the way I hoped. ;)

47. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Fucking Sherpa announcers are waxing poetic about Morneau’s double play. Big Fucking Deal. Anyone worth their salt in a beer softball league could have made that play.

48. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

This just goes to show why I totally disagree with pulling Morse in the 7th in a game like this with a one run lead. Dumb managing. Seriously, the Rocks have 3 frames left to score runs, and you pull the guy that has clubbed 2 dingers and hit a rocket shot out so far? Now, it’s tied and you’ve got Perez in place of Morse to bat. Sorry, IMO that’s just dumbass managing by the book, giving short shrift to this launch pad ballpark, hot hitting Rocks, and Morse being hot in this game…

49. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I’m not watching this but can someone explain why Cain was sent to pitch the 7th? It didn’t look like it went to well before he was finally pulled. And Bum went the distance last night so it’s not like our BP was tired.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:45 pm

You and thousands of other Giants fans are scratching their head as well Flav.

50. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Fucking Barnes. Get in the damn box and hit. Thinks he’s Willie Mays or something wasting time with his glove, walking around, etc.

51. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Not watching either, but letting Cain pitch the bottom of the 7th took the win out from under him, didn’t it?

• snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Dumbass managing again, sorry. The Pen is totally rested. WTF?…

52. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Cain would have been set-up for the win had he not given up the tying run.

Well, everyone has to be happy…G-men are scoring some runs. Problem is, they gave up quite a few, too.

Just score more…whether it is 2-1 or 8-7. Need this win today.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Five dongs today. Last time that happened was in 2012.

53. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Dumb ass fan.

54. Chipower9 said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Fuck…failure in basic fundamentals (clean fielding) contribute to another run and a tie game…again….

55. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Not to mention the stupid ass balk. Fucking Casilla.

56. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Only in Colorado is 5 HRs not enough to overcome piss poor pitching, defensive lapses, and imbecilic managing.

57. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:12 pm

A miracle if we win this game.

58. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hawkins has changed his delivery quite a bit. Seems like he’s been around forever.

59. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I don’t understand why not bunt Pence over to third with nobody out. I would venture to say most teams would try to do that in the 9th inning of a tie game. Belt has been clobbering it or striking out. Why not get the guy to third with one out — could it be that Perez was up next, and not Morse?. With a guy on third, there are many more ways to score than guy on second…

60. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Rox announcers congratulating Hawkins for going through “the middle of the Giants order.” Um, two of those guys are scrubs.
    It was idiotic beyond idiocy to pull Morse and Pablo when they did.

• snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I swear, Giants managing today has been piss poor. Whether it is Bochy through hand signals in the clubhouse after getting tossed, or Wotus doing it on his own (doubtful), if they lose this one plenty of blame is on the managing…

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Bochy is probably hitting on a bong at the hotel room.

• stickman said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Flav: I thought that was pretty lame too. Circumstantially, anyway. Just about any other park ceptin the Box of Rox ~ at least in the NLW ~ and it may have been permissible. Giants were lucky it did not majorly bite them in the ass.

61. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Squoink!

62. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Gawwwd! Finding new and fun ways to lose ballgames.

63. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm

When did Baby Bop become the Rox mascot?

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:40 pm

You mean Dinger? Dinger is the Sherpa equivalent to Crazy Crab.

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Dinger is just so stupid looking.

64. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Boch on Pagan: He’s fine he just can’t run or plant his right leg in the batters box!
    Yeah a day off with our crack medical staff should clear up everything that ails him, even the gang-green!

65. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Anyone confident there that Blanco was going to get a hit?…

66. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Adios Pelota!!

67. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Is this lead safe? Uhh . . . maybe.

68. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm

He has a nack for winning games, doesn’t he? major props to him getting it done after 10 going on 11 innings behind the dish in altitude.

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm

That would be 5 game winners for Hector (Wally Pipp) Sanchez!!

69. Macdog said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Sanchez slam!

70. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Hector — gotta take the good with the bad with this guy. That was GOOD…

71. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm

This will leave a nice taste in everyone’s mouth after the last two games. Get home and take on the Indians and San Diego. For Colorado, this is a major disappointment, especially in lieu of them going to LA, then Arizona. Particularly Arizona wants some payback for the beating the Sherpas gave them in Colorado.

72. snarkk said, on April 23, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Sheezus, playing in this ballpark would drive me crazy…

73. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Former pitcher Conrado Marrero, the world’s oldest living former major league baseball player, dies at age 102, a few days before his 103 birthday. Interesting article about him in the Denver Post . . . http://dfm.denverpost.com/article/oldest-living-former-major-leaguer-dies-at-102/355432ec072bd8d793910515ed20d737

74. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 5:50 pm

And in the “haha” dept, Jean Machi just took over the NL lead in wins with 4.

75. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Is there any symbolic message to glean from me writing a post calling out Buster and his back up hitting 2 bombs and winning the gm today?
    Prolly not

76. sansabes said, on April 23, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Maybe Hector read Chuck’s 9:58 post about starting Susac.

77. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Blade, thanks for the article link. That was cool. It’s interesting to think of that 100+ year old Cuban, living for decades in Cuba after having pitched against Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and others.

(There’s a new biography of Ted Williams out recently called “The Kid,” I think. I’d like to read that at some point.)

78. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Speaking of ballparks earlier today- I remember in “World Serious” Pawlie having mentioned seeing the Mets play at the Polo Grounds. That’s an awesome thing; the Polo Grounds seem sacrosanct to me in some way. And yet I know it was an old ballpark with some issues to it, also. In Rushin’s book, the author talks about how awful the restrooms were at Ebbets Field, a ballpark held as sacrosanct by many, too.

79. zumiee said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm

“That would be 5 game winners for Hector (Wally Pipp) Sanchez!!”

Not to be picking nits, but it was Wally Pip who got replaced by Lou Gehrig, not the other way around. :)

80. paulinasia said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Ballparks… no matter your opinion of Boston, I felt blessed to have seen so many games at Fenway in my years there. Opening Day, especially, every year for a dozen years; even if they had to plow snow off the outfield grass for the opener, all that green was just such a sight after a long winter of no color beyond black white and brown. Kind of makes me feel old or sad, not sure which, to have been to a handful of parks that aren’t even around anymore (Comiskey, Tiger Stadium, Fulton County, the old Yankee Stadium [will never forget my first game ever as a young boy and watching Mantle and Maris], hell, even Shea and the Vet in Philly). I hope they never tear down Fenway or Wrigley. If teams there want a new ball park, keep those places open as museums….

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I think Boston or Chicago will never be as stupid as the Yanks were to tear down Yankee stadium. I mean really, How many legends spun in their graves when that went down? Steinbrenner’s legacy. What an idiot. Throwing away a direct connection to the Babe, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and all those guys.

• James said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Prefer Fenway to Wrigley. The concession area at Fenway is my favorite part of any ballpark.

81. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, the bathrooms at Kezar were pretty bad.

82. stickman said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Drove off to the grocery store ~ a mere 17 miles away ~ during the 8th inning. Just had a feeling the Giants would come out on top. Bit dumb about that, though. Thought it would be by one run. Even Sanchez’ salami got cut in half by Morneau’s blast. Proves you can never score too many runs when playing in the Box of Rox.

83. paulinasia said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Agree, Chuck, about tearing down Yankee Stadium. There was talk in Boston a bunch of years ago that Fenway’s girders were getting creaky and they might have to tear it down. Severe outcry from the fans convinced ownership to do repairs instead. Even if they had built a new park, there was also talk of keeping Fenway up as a park, allowing families to come in on nice days and have picnics on the grass. That would’ve been ok… I will just never forget the smells and sounds of those old parks. Tiger Stadium wreaked of cigar smoke, a great smell as a kid. Fenway’s old wood and metal seats creaked and groaned when you sat down (since replaced by plastic ones). What I also thought was cool about Fenway was Lansdowne Street that runs along outside the Green Monster. In my days there in the ’80s, Lansdowne was home to a string of punk and new-wave clubs. Friday nights were great; just as the games were ending and the fans poured onto Lansdowne, the clubs were just getting going. Quite the mix of people. I often went right from a game to a club. Perfect Friday nights in Beantown.

84. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Michael Pineda might be the dumbest baseball player to ever play the game. And that’s really saying something.

• James said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I didn’t know Michael Pineda was a baseball player.

85. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Saw a game at Fenway in 2001. David Cone pitched AGAINST the Yankees, of all things. And won. 3-2 I think. Got a lot of curious looks as my wife and I were both sporting Giants gear. The action around the stadium was great. The cheap-ass hotel we stayed in, you could see the left field light standard. Great fun.

86. Macdog said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:41 pm

My lone Fenway visit came in ’91, Sox vs. Indians, right around this time of year on a chilly Sunday afternoon. I went with a then-DJ friend of mine and several of his radio cohorts, and we made what turned out to be a highly entertaining drive up and back from NJ in one day, I think we sat in the outfield seats in right-center. Jack Clark played for the Red Sox and struck out four times.

87. DJLoo said, on April 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Chuck, they killed the charm of the old Yankee Stadium when they renovated it in in the 70’s. Tore down the magnificent original facade and put up a horrendous fake one. Moved the monuments out of dead center field. Installed ugly padded outfield walls, and fucked with the dimensions. It wasn’t the same place. The bathrooms still sucked, the corridors were still too narrow. The only improvement was getting rid of the poles that obstructed your view.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Wish I had seen a game at Yankee Stadium the time I went to Shea back in ’73. Shea had all the charm of an airplane hangar.

88. Flavor said, on April 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm

new thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers