Sweeping Cleveland on a No-Offense Sunday

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 28, 2014

I have a buddy who is convinced that the lowest scoring games of the week occur on Sundays. I never bothered to look it up. But it does seem like games are low scoring on Sundays. Then I saw a tweet that noted 9 pitchers (yesterday) pitched at least 7 innings and gave up no more than 3 hits and Elias says that’s the first time that’s ever happened. So, maybe my buddy was on to something….

We swept the Indians and they have to be considered a decent team–they did make the playoffs last year and the only guy they’re missing is Ubaldo. Still, they looked uncomfortable playing NL ball, I wonder how we would have done in their yard?

And regarding Brandon Belt, maybe he needs to shave his beard or something. Or stop swinging. Swinging doesn’t seem to be working for him. Each of the 11 swing thru’s he had yesterday were on the same pitch on the outer half of the plate. Kruk says he’s clearly dropping his shoulder and that he needs to “flatten out his swing.” Maybe. I don’t know what’s going on with him but I do know that there’s no reason to plastic wrap anything anymore. At least till he can put the bat on the ball again……

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:22 am

Belt should take a couple of days off.

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:42 am

Says the king of taking days off. :)

2. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:25 am

I’d normally dismiss worries about Belt out of hand, but seeing him miss that many 90+ fastballs is pretty disconcerting. Half of those pitches may not have been strikes, but half of them were, too. In the past, he’s been able to foul some of those high strikes off. It’s time to drop the mad slasher who can take on all parts of the strike zone and beyond approach. Ross is another hard throwing right hander . . . at this point, a soft tossing lefty like Stults probably looks pretty good to number 9.

3. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:28 am

Giants set NL record with their 258th consecutive sell out, topping Philadelphia’s streak!

4. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:13 am

Belt needs to either loosen up or tighten up. If he buckles down, things will be a cinch.
    Oh stop me before I pun again!….

5. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:23 am

I randomly turned on KNBR this morning and was getting ready to flick it off again, when they said stay tuned for an interview with Howard Bryant regarding the Clippers’ owner. Well, that perked up my ears. I’ve read Bryant’s terrific biography of Hank Aaron, and I’ve been wanting to read more of his stuff.
    The interview didn’t disappoint. Bryant, who is African-American, gave a thought-provoking, interesting interview, and made a compelling case that all of the playoff teams should have boycotted playing yesterday’s games in making a tremendous and unforgettable statement to the nation. Bryant said the moment was there, but by playing the games yesterday, the moment sort of passed. He said NBA players talk all the time about respect and getting disrespected, but they were never more disrespected than by the things the Clipper owner said. Bryant said the NBA players like to talk tough, and here was their biggest opportunity to show toughness.
    Bryant was even-handed, though; he talked about the huge responsibilities of the other owners and the commissioner, too, in regard to this situation.
    Good job by the KNBR morning-show folks today. I’ve rarely said that over the years, I guess.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 am

I didn’t hear that interview but agree with what Bryant is saying. Sorry, but I just don’t see reversing your jersey for warm ups as much of a protest. I’m looking forward to Tolbert’s take on this as he played for the Clippers and has alluded to not caring for Sterling in the past.

• Macdog said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Re the boycott idea: The Brooklyn Nets did their part, at least for the final five minutes.

6. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:29 am

Over the weekend, the Giants really asserted a home-field advantage. That was vintage Giants baseball. The opponent never looked comfortable in the ballpark. It was classic “we score, we win” Giants baseball.

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

Well said. Must have been the mini-Flapalooza vibe on Friday night that started them off on a winning weekend…

7. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hicks is starting to grow on me as a possible real 2b alternative. His glove is erratic, but seems to be coming around with consistent playing time. And, the pop from the 2b position is welcome. Jury’s still out to the end of May, IMO. I still don’t see why Adrianza is around. He essentially doesn’t play. Wouldn’t he be better off actually getting ABs in Fresno — he obviously needs lots of work as a hitter, if he’s going to be any kind of long term contributor at the MLB level…

• gianthead said, on April 28, 2014 at 11:50 am

Isnt he out of options?

8. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:46 am
    • Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:47 am

my kid took that on Sat night while we were having dinner. I think this photo is fantastic.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:50 am

Very cool. The photo evokes the history of San Francisco in some way; the passage of time.

• James said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:31 am

It’s the near sepia tone.

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:34 am

Yep, very nice…

9. stickman said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:54 am

Vogie may or may not have found his niche yet, but yesterday’s performance tells me he is far from ready to get that fork stuck in him. He now has two excellent performances on the season, indicating he is a bunch of ways from washed up. So at this point it looks like a rotation of three solid starters and a pair who are struggling here and there but are not without promise. With the to date excellence of the bullpen we can live with a rotation like that.

Offensively the Giants still have not really jelled. Three guys simultaneously having good outings and Giants hitting becomes formidable. With the present talent level that should happen. Hicks’ clutch smash yesterday indicates Sabean and his scouts may have found yet another hidden Easter egg. Impressive thing is that the offense to date has come from pretty much throughout the lineup. Major team breakout will probably occur over the next month or two in some bandbox stadium on a road trip. You have to go back to the ’02 team to find so many power threats in one lineup.

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:58 am

stickman, are you stixwiz?…

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 3:58 pm

no, he’s Stickman from back in the day. Good to see him again.

• WilcoJoe said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I was wondering the same thing. His writing style is very similar to Stixwix.

10. twinfan1 said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:28 am

Francona: “Guys, don’t worry about losing – it’s no big deal… Now it’s time for beer and chicken!!!
    beer

11. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:44 am

Flav, that pic makes me think of Otis Redding . . Great shot.

As a few of us have siad, this would be a good time to put some distance between s and the Doggers. Kershaw is on the shelf for another month (or 2?) so getting them in a decent hole would be great.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:45 am

Too bad Casilla geve up the gopher ball to nix Vogie’s win. Otherwise another solid outing for the pen. Still and all, a nice outing for the maligned one. maybe he’s got a few more good starts left in him.

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 11:01 am

His problem seems to be a long, early inning. If he doesn’t have command early he gets fatigued, and it snowballs — he can’t get anybody out because his pitches have nothing on ‘em, ala Zito. If he can have some reasonable early innings, even with an HR or two given up, he can survive. Also, Cleveland’s essentially never seen him, have they? I doubt he’s going to go 7 shutout against the NL West teams…

• James said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Santana’s fly ball in the first is a 3 run homer in some other ballparks. I’d love to see him pitch a couple of solid games on the road.

13. salty said, on April 28, 2014 at 11:12 am

Might be 10 days. He’s scheduled for one more rehab start.

14. gianthead said, on April 28, 2014 at 11:48 am

That is my fantasy strategy…load up on Sunday pitching. I almost picked up Voggy for that reason, of course they blew that win for him. But in all of my fantasy years, Sundays have typically been anemic for consistent offensive numbers.

15. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Good to see Gyros starting to look like they’re going to play well at home this season. They used to be nails at home. Play .600 at home and .500 on the road, and you’ve got your 90 wins…

16. Chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Just caught up on the past couple of threads. Flapalooza Friday night was awesome. We all met at the Public House a couple of hours before the game and had some cold ones, and a few had food. I am with Zumie…if I drive 2+hours to get to the game, then for a fair amount of the game I am going to be watching it. I did get up and hang with the crew that was inside the club level for a while (only a few of us stayed in our seats for most of the game). Regardless, it was a great evening, and good to get a win during a Flapalooza. Good to finally meet Dirt. He was the only in this bunch who I had not met.

Paul (in Asia)…good to hear you will be in CA. If not a Flapalooza at a game, it would be fun to get a bunch of Flappers together somewhere to meet. Looking forward to more details there.

RE: Belt and his latest little mini-slump. I don’t think sitting him for a couple of days is the answer. He needs to sit down with BamBam or whoever, analyze some tape of his recent ABs, and make the necessary adjustments (which I think may be more laying off the high/hard stuff).

And I do not think the signing of Ishi has anything to do with what Belt is or isn’t doing. Having Ishi on the 25 would be a luxury, since he basically only plays 1B. I think he is in Fresno as more of an insurance policy (Belt gets hurt, etc.) than anything else.

I have liked Hicks since seeing him in ST. Dude can play the OF in addition to 2B, and he definitely has some pop. I know he has had some brain farts re: his fielding, but I still think giving him most of the playing time at 2B is the best plan at this stage.

Someone (snarkk) mentioned (maybe a thread back) about Adrianza being better off in Fresno. Problem is he is out of options, and I don’t think (and I believe Sabes and crew hold the same thought) he would make through waivers. The Giants are not going to risk that, regardless of his current level of sucktitude.

17. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm

How many times in the season do we have to say : The kid Ehire Andrianza is out of options?

• James said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

POTD material. Time for the current one to be retired, in any case :-)

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing BF is sticking with it for the duration of the win streak. The win streak started with your POTD!

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I forgot he was out of options. Probably because my view of that fact is BFD. If a guy isn’t good enough to play other than hardly at all, then WTF is he here catching splinters?…

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm

word.

• WilcoJoe said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Exactly. He lost his prospect status years ago.

18. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I guess I still don’t fully understand the whole “options” thing. I thought a player only lost 1 option per season, no matter how many times they were sent up and down from the majors to the minors that season. Adrianza only first made it up to the big club last season. So, I don’t get how he’s out of options.

19. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Snarkk, I’m about 99% sure that Stickman is Stix.

• Chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I would go 99.5.

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm

It’s not him, it’s another dude who used to go by Stickman. I thought I checked their email addresses before but maybe I’m wrong. We used to have a Stickman who posted all the time, he posts a lot at the Merc. I thought it was him, but who knows

• WilcoJoe said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Their writing styles are too similar. It has to be the same guy.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm

But what would be StixWix’s motivation in posting under a different alias???

20. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 12:56 pm

The Giants hitters face a challenge tonight with Ross, who shut them down pretty well last time. This is a big series. The Padres badly want to be part of the division conversation.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Big for the Giants in that it would be great to get some more victories before heading out on a really grueling roadtrip.

21. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Yeah, the whole Adrianza thing is curious at best.

If he”s burned through all his options, how come none of us have ANY recollection of the guy?

22. Chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I have looked at this a couple of times, and it is kind of confusing. Basically, the options are for “option years.” Once a player is put on the 40 man roster, the ticker starts, and they have three option years. So, it is not a number of options (shuttling between minor and major league club), but the number of option “years.”

With that said, obvioulsy Adrianza was put on the 40 man three years ago…hence, he is out of options (regardless of when he was first promoted to the 25 man roster and how many times he has shuttled between Fresneck and SF).

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Great analysis, Chi. The guy has been with the Giants since forever, apparently, and I think there are some arcane rules about how long somebody can be in the organization before they have to put onto the 40 man, and the option period clock starts ticking. I don’t know what the rules on that are. But, you just can’t keep a guy buried in the organization forever without moves that ultimately make him exposed and available to other teams…

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation on that, guys. Much appreciated.

23. Chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 2:04 pm

In regards to Zumie’s 1:00 post…yes, it would be great to get another sweep, or at least a series win before next month and the upcoming road trip. One off day next month (not until May 19th). 16 games on the road and 13 at home. 10 of those 16 come at the beginning of the month in form of a 10 game roadie…3 against Atlanta who is playing as good of ball as any club, 3 against the Pirates (and while their overall record is not that great…the Giants always seem to struggle there), and finally four against the hated Bumbinos in the Latrine.

With no changes, the rotation on the 10 game is this: Atlanta – Timmy, Vogey, MadBum. Pittsburgh – Cain, Huddy, Timmy. Bums – Vogey, MadBum, Cain, Huddy.

• DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Why don’t you just go with “Bummy” and “Cainey”. That’s how they do it in hockey.,,

• Chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I’ll leave that to you, Loo, since you are the one who coined these particular names. I am just using ones that are pretty common amongst Giant fans. And while I follow hockey somewhat…I obviously have not followed it closely enough to know the details on hockey nicknames.

• DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 3:53 pm

In the NHL they pretty much just add a “Y” to your name…

24. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 3:12 pm

My new name for the kid;
    “No Option Adrianza”
    Even when we use him it’s our last option!
    He’s our version of former A’s owner Charlie Finley’s dumbass usage of Herb Washington!!!

• unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Not to pick nits, but I’d call him ‘last option’ Adrianza . . .

25. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 29m
    Belt’s had hitting issues before, but “It’s been awhile since I couldn’t hit a fastball down the middle.” #sfgiants

26. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I don’t understand why people fret about Belt so much. He was the best hitter on the team for two weeks. Now, he had a really bad series. Buster and Pablo have been MIA at the plate since the season started, especially Panda. Belt will get over this and adjust, if he lays off high strikes and ignores Bam Bam…

• unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm

He’s an easy target.

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:10 pm

If anybody should be getting raked over the coals, it’s Posey. His contract is literally over 50X the size of Belt’s contract, yet he’s hitting like Johnny Lemaster, with a coupla extra home runs…

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hey I singled Posey out as THE guy who needs to step up a few day ago.Called him out on everything. Also, Posey isn’t swinging and missing on 11 freaking pitches in a game. That was absurd. Little league shit.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Actually, Posey started off pretty damned good.

27. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Is this the Giants luck or what? Mac Williamson, the only power hitting prospect they’ve begun to develop in years, now needs TJ surgery. He’s only 23, his recovery will be quicker than a pitcher, but goddamn, how often do you see a 3rd baseman go down due to TJ surgery…..

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:45 pm

That’s crazy…

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I wonder if he pitched in youth baseball and converted to 3rd base later in his career?

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Actually, I think he is an OFer, but yeah…sucks out loud.

28. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:06 pm

interesting challenge by the Rangers on this play at first. I don’t think it’s conclusive. The Rnagers broadcasters sure think so, lol

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

they were right, they called him out. I just don’t like challenging plays unless it’s totally obvious and I know that’s a fairly widely held viewpoint here…….

29. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Field Club tix currently going for $27 (at least some are). That’s crazy low and I think it’s funny that the Giants are celebrating 268 sell outs in a row (or whatever it is) to take the mlb lead and we’re now seeing the best seats in the house going for peanuts…….

• WilcoJoe said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm

That is insane. I track stubhub on a regular basis and I can’t get over the deals you can score for Giants tickets. It just goes to show how tech savy fans are in the Bay Area. Most other clubs season ticket holders are just eating their tickets instead of taking whatever they can get online.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, when I had season tix (first three years at the new yard), there were some games you just could not even give away the damned tickets….

30. DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm

They had to be lying about that sellout streak once they fell out of it last year…

• Nipper said, on April 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm

It’s total BULLSHIT….

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm

The Giants have been achieving MLB’s standard for sell-outs, whatever that is. I’ve read the Giants sell a certain number of standing-room-only tickets, and those count towards the number. In other words, some people would rather buy a SRO ticket and not have a seat, and just walk around the ballpark all game.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I found this on the web; I’m not sure it really clears things up:

“Each club sets their sellout threshold, which is not necessarily the seating capacity of the stadium, and is not necessarily consistent between clubs. Clubs like the Phillies, Red Sox and Cubs, who all sell standing room tickets, may actually see attendance greater than their seating capacity. Other clubs may set their threshold at less than the seating capacity of the stadium and justify the difference as their accounting for comped tickets as only sold tickets count towards a sell-out.”

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I’d be one of those.

• DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm

K & K are always saying tickets are available for upcoming series. Who was buying late last year?
        Nipper’s right.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with Nipper; but the Giants are apparently meeting MLB’s standard on sell-outs. But if the standard is “Each club sets their sellout threshold, which is not necessarily the seating capacity of the stadium,” then, yeah, the whole process is somewhat suspect.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:41 pm

To be honest…I don’t give a rat’s ass, one way or another. It’s no skin off me. Regardless, the yard, at first pitch, is pretty packed on almost any given night.

• DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Then they hold the record for consecutive games being “pretty packed”

31. pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:12 pm

What I like about your daughter’s photo is that it is so non-touristy. It evokes an industrial time, reminding us of the gritty hard work of fishing. That’s my take.

BTW, it was a record 10 — count ‘em, 10 — pitchers who threw at least seven innings allowing three or fewer hits. And it was one-third of Sunday’s starters. Which brings to mind baseball and statistics: In the history of Western civilization, has any sport (or any enterprise whatsoever) conjured up and countenanced more esoteric and bizarre data, called “statistics,” than baseball has? Unlikely. I mean, for the sentence that begins this paragraph, if you added, “on Sundays, in April, with the temperature below 73 degrees, while Jupiter was aligning with the rings of Saturn, and while the equatorial axis of the planet shifted 0.0000000045009%,” no one would flinch; we’d accept that, yeah, we have a stat for that.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm

That’s awesome, Paulie…and, SO damned true!

32. pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Owning up to a bit of jealousy (or is it envy? my editorial mind says there is a distinction), I say you can’t call your Friday outing Flapalooza. Call it something else. No-Sombrero Friday or Friendly Flap Friday or Kumbaya Sans Kokonuts. Whatever. But reserve Flapalooza for the full entourage, eh? Selfish of me, yeah.

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Second the motion. :((

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm

. . . and you the man with the AT&T mojo motion! hahahahahaha

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Y’all were missed. It was mentioned several times that night.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Definitely wish you and Blade were there. But that is why it was a “Mini Flapalooza.”

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:07 pm

thanks

33. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:29 pm

That 2-1 pitch to Medica should have been subject to review.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, that strikezone is moving around.

34. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm

This is what’s called a “stress inning,” because I’m STRESSED OUT.

35. chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Another tough inning by a Giant starter. This is just too common of an occurrence.

36. blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Usually VipBox works – either link 1, 2, or 3 . . . Tonight? Pfffttt! GameCast dots of Morse running to 2nd, while Pablo lumbers to 1st for a double play just isn’t the same as watching it live. :-)

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:08 pm

fortunately so…how’s Aunt Mary? did she go to the game recently? first time at the new yard for her?

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Yeah, about 15 of the Rubio clan was in attendance. I thought it was the night game that the Giants played against the Dodgers, but it was the Thursday day game they went to. Despite the Giants losing, they all had a good time.

37. pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:06 pm

This fuckn game already feels like a four-hour, extra-inning affair. I’m off to Bedville, girls.

38. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:07 pm

this is fucking idiotic to waste time on this play.We can’t have these stopages over these impossible to determine (in live action) plays.

39. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I know he got called out, I’m happy about that, but baseball isn’t football, it’s not the NBA. It’s the game of inches. I’m not saying replay doesn’t have a place in baseball, but these stopages are the most underwhelming thing any sport has going right now.

40. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm

An interesting dimension to the risky replay challenge is the situation, e.g., 2 outs, bottom of the order, chances of scoring unlikely, but you save some pitches.

41. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Didn’t see your diatribe, BF. :-)

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I hope it didn’t influence your thoughts. :)

42. blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:12 pm

On GameCast, the dots don’t do anything, while the play is being reviewed. :-)

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm

During the play review on GameCast, they should switch to PacMan mode and have the 2nd baseman eat the shortstop. LOL.

43. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm

i just love this: 2 people in the world, ever, have banged WO Hr’s in both A’s uni’s and Giants uni’s: Hicks and….Dave Kingman

44. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Crawford DOES make the spectacular plays but he misses the easy ones too. How do the defensive metrics work that out? That’s a rhetorical question. Defensive metrics are a work in progress……..

45. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:22 pm

haha, they say Hicks can’t go to his right….Scouts should just stick to drinking and fucking whores….

46. Flavor said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm

this whole “chew the fat” bullshit between the ump and the manager is just….absurd.

47. chipower9 said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Well, you guys are gonna love this…review time. Meanwhile, back at the ranch…the PacMan 2nd baseman is eating the SS….

48. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Why the fuck do the Padres put the Giants to sleep? I woulda had about 10 more beers if the mini-flap was this game.

49. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Didja catch the guy with the Snotrocket (40) jersey? Not bad . . . . .

50. blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Bum is fortunate that there are so many stiffs in the SD line up. What a hapless bunch they are.

• DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Is hapfull a word?

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Dunno. Did it turn red when you typed it out? Big tell if so.

51. willedav said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Um, listening to Miller he quoted some rather disturbing number on bum this year, re: big jump in hits given up, etc. Pads have hit some screamers tonite and drawn walks too. But he pitches out if it again with another K.

On Belt, last week sometime I saw a chart that tracked his hits and was surprised to see tremendous majority were to right side. He used to be able to take outside pitch and whack into LF for a base knock. I’m wondering if he’s given up on that entirely and is trying to pull and yank pitches out more. Like seemingly all LH who like down and in he does get fooled by the change up that winds up down and out of the zone.

I was in SD yesterday and today for a wedding (thankfully not my own) but I did see lots of Dubs yesterday, fun to watch. Agree Flav on Doc. Barnes had nice game off bench but man their Crawford (Jamal) is one of those guys that are pure scorers and I love to watch guys like that whether they can guard anyone or not.

52. willedav said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Pagan and Pence again!

53. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

No ice! belt just needs to put it in play

54. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Fucking autocorrect fun.

55. DJLoo said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:46 pm

The old “Pawlie’s gone to sleep” rally returns…

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:54 pm

couldn’t move off the couch

56. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Heads up by belt. Come on Morse

57. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Beast delivers big time!

58. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, baby!

59. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Panda hit it hard. That’s new.

60. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Bummie seemed hell-bent on giving up that lead. This ump is fucking blind.

Apropos of nothing, why are there ‘low ball’ umps and ‘high ball’ umps. The strike zone isn’t an ethereal amorphous shape that floats around home plate. It’s pretty well defined in the goddamn rule book.

61. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Go back to sleep Pawliie!

62. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hick Zone on fire!
    Like that power stroke…

63. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm

The elusive shut down inning.

64. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Good to see Adrianza power one up . . .

65. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Weird night,even No Option gets a bleeder

66. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I may have to switch my Brandon allegiances.

67. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:10 pm

And then the Rally Killer DP

68. willedav said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Wow Hicks makes a tough stop on a hot smash and then whacks one over the CF fence.
    Looks like 2b job is his to lose.
    Not so good to see an extended pen day with in a bum start tho. Light hitting Pads pounded him tonite.

69. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I’m not impressed with this homeplate ump. MadBum got jobbed on that 1-2 pitch, ends up walking the guy, and then the next guy hit the HR.

70. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Yowza. Say hello to Uncle Charlie . . .

71. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Brandon Hicks & his Hot Licks really has added a great addition to this LU!
    Dude is strong with Popeye forearms, and a positive approach at the plate,just like his demeanor hitting..

72. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm

If Will Venable was your most valuable player last year, you know your team “SUCKS”

73. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Hey, this Pub Mix from Costco is pretty good. I don’t know what half the things in it are, though.
    I’ll call it…..Rally Pub Mix!!

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I use to buy that all the time . . . Too addictive though and packed on the lbs.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Yeah, good point. Here’s what’s in it:
        “Description: This savory blend of crunchy snacks contains honey mustard and cheddar cheese twistix, honey roasted sesame chips, oriental rice crackers, pretzel stix, nacho bagel chips and Worcestershire rye bagel chips.”

74. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Shit! Screamer off Posey’s bat.

75. James said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:39 pm

The starting pitching continues to be the weak link. Collectively, they have an ERA of 4.08 with half their games played at the best pitcher’s park in baseball.. The ERA for the entire NL this year so far is *3.46.* That is just an embarrassing performance by the SF starting pitchers so far. Just as awful as last year’s.

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Yep, the starting pitching has definitely not been optimal…

76. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I’m getting tired of hearing that Panda is an “aggressive” hitter. After 4+ years of it, why don’t they just say Panda swings at a lot of shit regardless of the situation? Then, he apparently swung through one right down the middle to leave the runner at 3rd still there…

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Pablo completely sucks this year, so far. His defense hasn’t even been that good, even with the loss of weight.

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Zum, that’s why I am advocating Pub Mix for Panda. :-)

• snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I agree, Panda blows so far. Coming into tonight hitting .180 with a .263 OBP so far. That is friggin pathetic…

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I never thought I would say this, but someone needs to sneak potato chips, bon bons, and candy into his locker.

77. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Again with the failure to score a guy from 3rd with one or fewer outs. I wonder how the Giants rank in that dubious category?….

• James said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

As of yesterday, they were first hitting w/ runners in scoring position w/ 2 outs!

78. zumiee said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Nice inning from Affeldt. He’s got his good stuff lately.
    He came off the DL ready to rock and roll.

79. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Sharks doing their usual playoff meltdown .. Up 3-0, now tied at 3 back to SJ for game 7 Wednesday with no momentum..

80. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Sharks now in danger of a historical choke job…

81. snarkk said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I called into Lurie once and asked him if he thought Panda was a smart baseball player. He said he thought so, he was just a free swinger. The longer Panda plays with the Giants, I’m dubious about his baseball IQ. He’s got a fair number of walks this season so far, but he swings at so much crap, I’ve gotta believe he just doesn’t care about the situational AB. He won’t wait for a strike, he’d rather swing at crap to try to knock a run in. I’ve heard Huff say on the FM sports station that he always expected Panda to swing at the first pitch, regardless of where it was. I get more dubious about his baseball smarts as his career progresses…

• Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Well Lurie is probably changing his mind about Pablo’s IQ now Snarkk…

82. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Waffle taco? What the fuuuuuuuuck?

83. Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:30 pm

If your not gonna atleast hit & run with Perez down 1, why take Morse out at all? Fucking dumb managing there.

84. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Bummie had a weird night he was all over the place, and got beat by a 3rd string catcher?

• Alleykat said, on April 28, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Yeah Chuck,Snots was totally out of whack, maybe losing some velocity and energy from blowing to many boogers out!

85. paulinasia said, on April 29, 2014 at 2:30 am

Snarkk (12:04pm) was talking about how the team would be in good shape if they played .600 at home and .500 on the road. And then there’s Arizona, who is decidedly NOT in good shape at this point: they’ve played more home games (16) than anyone else in the West. Their home record? 2-14. They’ve won TWO games at home all year. That’s really f-ing hard to do….

86. Nipper said, on April 29, 2014 at 7:26 am

Sniff……BUM…what happened?

87. willedav said, on April 29, 2014 at 7:37 am

Will Venable had a pretty good season last year, 22 HRs, .484 slugging .796 OPS. Pads moved the fence in down RF line, but that’s still not a hitters park. Not doing much so far tho.

At wedding and reception I went to, groom and bride in the late 20s/early 30s age bracket, and invited a lot of their friends and co-workers (100 people total maybe including family and assorted relatives/friends). Weather was nice, lot of gals in sleeveless dresses and tops, skirts and dresses mostly short…just couldn’t get over how many of the gals that age were inked up. Top of arm at the shoulder all the way down to elbow, across top of the back, multiple little ones on legs ankle top of foot…not sure what the aesthetic attraction is.

88. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2014 at 8:17 am

Yeah, both my daughters have talked about it, and have almost gotten one a few times. . Thankfully they haven’t. It is nuts though. Everyone under the age of 35 has some kind of tat. it seems.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers