Should Our #6 Be Our #4?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 30, 2014

I’m not comparing the two on their career body of work, but what two things do Tim Hudson and Y-Petit have in common (at least, in his start last night)?

1) they keep the ball down

2) they throw it where they want to throw it

So why can’t Tim Lincecum do this? He’s won 2 freaking Cy Young awards. And yet when he pitches, it’s just always such a grind. Balls bouncing 2 feet in front of the plate catapulting Posey across the batters box. Casting off pitches that no sane hitter would ever swing at.

We’ve always heard about what an amazing athlete Timmy is. If true, shouldn’t he be a little above the brain-dead power pitcher who loses his fastball and is left with nothing else?

Petit is efficient and someone I would never use in a fantasy match up. But goddamn, I’m getting to the point where I would rather see him pitch than Timmy. Or Voggy….

#freePetity

About these ads

1. willedav said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:08 am

helluva first outing this year, and last year he was pretty good too. If that was an audition, I’d give him the job full time. Hector caught him and drove in 3, nice rebound.
    My guess is someone (Vogs most likely) gets a fantasy injury to an as of yet undetermined body part that lands them on DL for 15, or longer.

Supposed to be even warmer today (sorry east coast guys) so keeping the ball down and hopefully inside the yard will be crucial for Hudson and whomever follows him.

2. willedav said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:33 am

Hey SDawg (and I guess I should cc uncle chuck) the place where my godson and bride got married Sunday was in San Marcos. Nice outdoor setting surrounded by trees, with gazebo (unused) and separate room for pictures etc. Right next to it is indoor reception area that easily accommodated 100 of us at dozen tables plus dance floor with DJ, buffet style food with servers. Apparently reservations are a year in advance. We stayed nearby at residence inn Marriott and some Aussies partying Sunday night told us they were in a wedding set for Monday.
    Just saying, in case anything is in the wind…

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:21 am

So Cain dropped the knife and cut himself trying to catch it? I’m no top chef but I worked in a lot of kitchens and I don’t ever remember anyone trying to catch a dropped knife. Usually everyone would pull their hands away and jump back.

4. Alleykat said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:22 am

Way to hook-em up WillieD
    Is their a Flap wedding in the future, now that would be a wild party affair!

• willedav said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:27 am

Well, there was a bar there too, tho I think groom’s family brought it all (and took home unused). Salud!

• unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:02 am

Hey now . . . let’s now get ahead of ourselves here.

Did take them out for dinner Sunday night. Along with the rest of our gang . . .

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:07 am

Chuck, if needed, I can order more Flap shirts for the future reception in the Public House…

• unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:51 am

Yeah, I think a few more people want one.

(Unca Chuck 44)

That would be great of you to pull together.

• unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 10:06 am

Oh, shit. I’m a little slow. NOW I get it . . .

Yeah, I’d love to see 150 people all wearing ‘We score, we win’ shirts at my daughter’s wedding . . .

I thought you meant for the next Flapapalooza whenever that may be.

DOH!!

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 3:37 pm

For 150 shirts, I’m sure I can get a discount…

5. zumiee said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:33 am

Cain should use the Jedi Ginsu knife next time!

• zumiee said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:51 am

Actually, it’s better that he not use any type of Ginsu knife. :)

• blade3colorado said, on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

That’s hilarious Zumiee.

6. zumiee said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:40 am

Petit had his ‘perfect game’ stuff last night. When he’s on, he’s a joy to watch. Vogey and Timmy should be hearing some footsteps…..
    Maybe it will push everyone not named Hudson in the rotation to pick it up a notch or two.

• unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 10:05 am

Frandsen mde that flying squirrel catch in LF years ago. Crazy play though.

7. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:59 am

Like Willie said, I’d look for some sort of mystery injury to hit either Timmy or Vogie in the next couple weeks.

At this point, Timmy is the one who is not cutting it.

8. Chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 10:40 am

Well, I would like to see Petit get a start, but that means whoever he replaces takes a spot as the long set-up man. Not sure about that. And regardless, it isn’t happening anytime soon. I think both Vogey and Tim get a few more starts before anything happens (if it happens at all). I am equally (if not more) concerned with seeing out top of the rotation guys consistently pitch like top of the rotation pitchers.

9. stickman said, on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 am

Weird team. One and Two starters with a cumulative record of 2-6. Three relievers with ann 8-1 composite. In his walk year our third baseman can’t hit for shit the whole month of April. First sacker starts out like a Triple Crown hitter and then slumps into a fanning mill. Journeyman 2B projects at two-dozen dingers on the season backup catcher looks en route to 66 RBI’s. Now we got the longman pitching like an ace in an off-hand start.

Okay, so it’s April and the team is in first place with both team ERA and runs scored in the upper third of the league; but if anyone has this figured out please let me know.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Things generally regress to the mean over 6 months…

10. Alleykat said, on April 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

So with a few days off for Cain his next bullpen session should feature his new pitch ” The Split Finger Cutter”

11. Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 11:51 am

It is a little early to be nominating the Savior Pitcher of the year, and 1 start does not make that pitcher a certified starter. Granted he did pitch better than Tim and Vog. Tim will have till the all star break. IMO. Vog on the other hand will probably be gone if Petit gets another start and shines. I won’t go into my older players rant on why Vog and not Tim will be the loser here.

• Alleykat said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Well I would guess Kevin,
      Cause Vogs is a dinosaur at 36 and Timmeh is still a Pup at 29 and has 2 Cy’s on the mantle between his bong..,

• Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:29 pm

ha ha and rolling machine??

12. snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Bum hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in most of his starts. Hudson is really the only starter showing consistency in giving quality starts every time out. The Pen holding the lid on things is the main reason SF has the solid record in April. SF will be 16-12 at worst (if they lose tonight) in April, or 17-11 with a win. Hell, who wouldn’t take that for April at the start of the season? The A’s are 17-11 and they’ve played the Astros about 15 times to get that record…

13. Nipper said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm

April is just a step above spring training. Fast starts mean something sometime but the real tests are to come.

14. blade3colorado said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Yeah, the fastest one out of the gate isn’t always the one that finishes 1st. See Sherpas for Exhibit A.

On the opposite spectrum, see the Dodgers last year. Most of us had them buried in the first couple of months before they went on their “out of this world” run. Lot of baseball to be played.

15. Alleykat said, on April 30, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Nah Timmeh would have someone roll a bunch. Doesn’t want to get a paper cut!

• Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm

LMAO, good one

• Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 1:14 pm

oh but the burnt firger tips from getting that last hit

16. Alleykat said, on April 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm

You know I pray,Snots doesn’t use a chainsaw in the offseason when he’s filling up his meat freezer full of cattle…

17. zumiee said, on April 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Well, Frandsen’s a survivor; you have to give that to him. He’s the epitome of the journeyman player, but he’s managed to play parts of 8 different major league seasons. He may be eligible for the MLB pension now.

18. snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 3:30 pm

One thing about Bochy, if he has to use the Pen a ton this year, he’ll do it efficiently and with as little wear and tear on arms as he can. Nonetheless, I’m thinking that there will be several callups for Pen guys this season — looks like a few arms out there may get tired. Good thing Selipe is not managing — he burned the Pen from both ends as a manager. Anybody remember Jim Brower? The guy made 89 appearances outta the Pen in 2004. EIGHTY friggin NINE. The guy’s arm was 6″ longer in September than in March. He was never the same after that season — his WHIP spiked in 2005 and never came down to 2004 levels again. Finished his career with the Hiroshima Carp in 2008. Remember Scott Eyre? Pretty darn good Pen lefty when he was on. Selipe put him in there 83 times in 2004, 86 in 2005. Selipe was definitely hell on Pen arms…

19. gianthead said, on April 30, 2014 at 3:44 pm

On the way home listening to Mad Dog on Sirius and then just caught his tv show on mlb channel with Peter Gammons today and they both speculate that the Giants would be a top candidate to land David Price. I would hate to give up Crick specifically or some of these other potential top arms in our system.

But wow what a change in our rotation if you made Price the #1…thoughts? What prospects would you put on the table?

20. Chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:12 pm

No way in hell that Crick alone gets it done. But even if you decided to package Crick and a couple of other middle-of-the-road prospects, you still have to consider that Price will be in his final season of arbitrtaion next year (free agent in 2016). He signed for 14 mil this year to avoid arbitration.

So, I would not entertain this unless it was a “sign-and-trade” deal where the Giants could lock Price up for a number of years. You would probably be looking in the neighborhood of 20 mil/year.

Also, if you did pull off a deal like this, how would that sit with MadBum with him making 3.95 this year, 6.95 in 2015, $9.950 in 2016, and 11.7 in 2017.

Crick supposedly has really good stuff, but there is not guarantee that he turns into a stud at the MLB level. Price is a proven commodity (liftetime 3.26/1.159 with a 74-41 W-L record) and is only 28. So, if the Giants could do a sign/trade and lock Price up for 4 years and an option, I would pull the strings on that…even if it meant dealing someone like Crick.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Crick has stuff, but so far has had problems with the wildness gene. He’s young and should get his mechanics better, but no guarantee he solves that. A flame thrower that is wild is not necessarily a guy I want to hang my hat on to make it up to the big club any time soon, or ever. I’d be a little leary of a 28 year old pitcher, giving him $20+ million for some 6 year deal, which is what he’ll want. We’ve got essentially two guys at or around $20M already, with Timmy off the books after next year…

• Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:32 pm

A flame thrower that is wild is what Tim was, now that he has lost the flame throwing…well you know what has happened.

21. gianthead said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Crick is my absolute untouchable and Escobar is rated as our # 2 prospect. Stratton and Hembree I think are my other two untouchables.

Crick could be a monster! But I think any deal has to be a sign and trade. Escobar and Blackburn and Law is who I would lead with. Susac as a catching prospect we dont need is also a good fit in a deal.

So Escobar, Blackurn, Law and Susac for Price seems like a damn good deal to me. Four 10 prospects for Price.

Price, Cain, Bum and Hudson would be a memorizing playoff rotation. If we did sign Price long term, I think Cain would be on the trade block after the season.

• gianthead said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Sorry mesmerizing is what I meant…

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Price would have to agree to all that and I highly doubt he wants to come play out west. His whole life has been spent on the other side of the country and the AL is all he’s ever known. #itwouldneverhappen
      I could see him doing that if it meant he was going to the Braves, his favorite team growing up. But even then, sign and trades don’t happen in baseball for obvious reasons.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Absolute long shot (for all the reasons you mention, BF), but GH had asked the question…I was simply answering.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:11 pm

The operative word on Crick (or any of those prospects) is “could be.”

22. Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Not sure why we are talking upgrades in April and giving away potential prospects. but WTH, slow day in sports.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Because two of your five starters have sucked for much more than just this April, and only Hudson is really lighting it up between the the rest of them. Price would be a great addition. The question was asked…I was simply answering…

• Irish Kevin said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Ha ha, what my sarcasm font wasn’t set on high?? Ha ha, good answer!!

23. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious here, but Timmy’s poroblem is his crazy-ass delivery. It is a mess of moving parts and shit. It used to generate 96, but now? Not so much. There’s no way to simplify it (I don’t think so, anyway), so he has to try to get it to the point of being able to function without the gas. The last couple years he pushed every fastball up and in. No he kinda stopped that, but it’s his other pitches that he’s leaving up. That spells big trouble.

It’s early yet, and he’s a work in progress. But that’s true of 4/5ths of the staff right now. Huddy’s the only one dealing consistently. He has 3 of the 6 wins for the starters. Bummie has 2, Timmy 1, and Vogie/Cain are donuts.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I don’t know if I’d call it a “mess of moving parts”. I think of it more as a delivery that is dependent on perfect balance. So if he’s not throwing the ball as hard I don’t see why he can’t still have a balanced delivery. That shouldn’t go away just cause he’s lost his FB.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Agree…it is all about control and being able to hit your spots (think Maddux). Tim has not done that for a very long time.

24. blade3colorado said, on April 30, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Regarding Price or any comparable pitcher, I would do it with any of our prospect(s). To me, they are trading chips and nothing more. Sabean, does really well on these types of deals, especially with the idiots running the Pirates and the Mets. Along with his “Blue Light” KMart special off season signings (see Morse and Hudson), I have no complaints on how Sabean runs the show, as 2 World Series rings and 3 WS appearances undoubtedly prove.

Chuck, spot on regarding Timmy, except I disagree with, “. . . he’s a work in progress.” He has been a work in progress going on 3 years. Consequently, I have little or no faith, he will have that “Eureka!” moment. If it happens, I will be surprised, but very pleased. However, I personally think he is who he is and this is about as good as it gets, e.g, lots of strikeouts, and an occasional pitching gem.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I think the Giants (or whoever) should pull an “Eckersly” with him. Turn him into a late inning reliever. WTF…worked during one of our WS runs…

25. DJLoo said, on April 30, 2014 at 5:59 pm

What BF said is worth repeating. No such thing as a sign and trade in baseball. Not that I know of anyway.
    Another thing often mentioned here that is pretty much extinct in baseball is the “incentive laden contract”.

26. blade3colorado said, on April 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Tsk, tsk, tsk Loo. You made the unequivocal statement about “incentive laden contracts.” You are right about sign and trade though. Can’t recall seeing one of those.

Nevertheless, yeah, I am planning to blow this country soon and get back to Asia. :-)

27. WilcoJoe said, on April 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Not sure if I have mentioned this here or not but for the last six months I have been working half the month in Birmingham Alabama. It’s actually not as bad as it sounds, but I still would never want to live here. It makes Texas look liberal…Anyway, I just booked my hotel for Friday and Saturday night in Atlanta and I am stoked about making the 2 1/2 hour drive to see the Giants on Friday and Saturday. Nervous about the pitching matchup with Timmy and Vogey toeing the rubber. At least the weather should be absolutely gorgeous with temps in the mid seventies and little to no humidity. Have never spent much time in the ATL, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Wilco. I recommend strip joints and bbq. But something tells me you already knew this. :)
      Looking forward to the report from the game my man, and one day I hope you make it out here for a game we can go to in person.

• WilcoJoe said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Yeah it’s BBQ pork instead of beef in the southeast…Cant imagine that the strip clubs can match those of Houston and Dallas, but I might have to find out to be sure ;)

• DJLoo said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:15 pm

A pilot once told me that the engine of a jet plane has only 3 moving parts…

• Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:52 pm

tell that to Flight 370. I have no idea what that means…..

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Buckhead area on N side of town is high end with a good mix of restaurants and tall buildings and bars…

• WilcoJoe said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Cool, thanks Snarkk!

28. Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:00 pm

there appear to be several A’s fans in Texas tonight. Possibly more than at an O.Co game? LQTM

29. Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:05 pm

the A’s are absolutely destroying Texas. They’re up 12-0 and they killed the Rangers last night, too.They are horrible this year.How are they over .500?

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I think they swept the A’s in Oaktown about a week ago…

30. snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hot tonight at ATT, relatively speaking. Could be a few, maybe 3 or 4, leave the yard…

31. Macdog said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:29 pm

MM good!

32. WilcoJoe said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Belt is having a Steve Sax moment…Except his problem is he can’t hit a fastball down the middle. Unreal!

33. WilcoJoe said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Hudson is a joy to watch.

34. Macdog said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Hicks oppo-dong!

35. Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Sabean has a fantastically amazing ability to find second basemen who get hot for a year and then break down immediately after. So, Hicks will probably get a 2 year/47 million dollar deal next season and never play another game……

36. Flavor said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Did I just miss something? When did Irish Heritage Night coincide with Until there’s a Cure Day?

37. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hicks has about a million less miles on him than the last two. Just keep him away from knives and power tools.

The thing about Timmy is he DOES get it together at times. He;s just got no consistency.

• James said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

The problem is that just about every pitcher in the majors gets it together once in while. If I was a fan of the opposing team, at this point, I’d dismiss any good game Timmy throws as shitty hitting by my team . . . . just like we do when a pitcher with crappy numbers shuts down SF.

• unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:23 pm

He did throw a no-no last year.

• James said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:37 pm

And if he’d thrown a 2 hitter?

38. James said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Wilco, this place in Buckhead:

has better than average cocktails and pubgrub.

is just a really good place for fancy southern eatin’ without being too fancy.

39. Macdog said, on April 30, 2014 at 8:52 pm

It’s the 7th inning — and Morse is still in left field!

40. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Jeez. Belt-high down the middle is the big hole in Belt’s swing.

Tim still under 80 pitches?

41. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Hudson coming out for the ninth. Talk about efficiency tonight. Hope he gets the CG.

42. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Nice play by Hicks!

43. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Hicks, doing it all tonight…

44. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Yowza, Not a cheapie there.

45. DJLoo said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:28 pm

McCovey Cove just became the Hudson River…

46. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Damn.

47. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Ballgame!

48. Macdog said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

East Coast Flappers love Huddy!

49. willedav said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Props to Pence for hustling out that IF hit that allowed Posey to hit and get the rbi for 3 run lead. All insurance runs gratefully accepted.

50. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Ballgame! Nice to get the series win . . . Big roadie comin’ up.

51. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Would have been cool had Hudson got the complete game. But a win is a win…and another series win. Time to be road warriors!

52. Macdog said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I don’t know if our #6 should be #4 just yet, but our #3 definitely is #1.

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:35 pm

You got that shit right, Mac.

53. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I cannot believe the Sharks (well, unfortunately, I can). Fucking up 3-0 in the series and getting ready to roll the fuck over in game 7. Same shit, different year. Good to great regular season, and cannot do shit in the playoffs.

54. snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:39 pm

NIce game. Huddy at 38 is the Giants ace so far.
    Friggin’ Sharks are about to choke the worst choke job of their entire existence in S Jose. Blow it up. Fire the coaches, upend the roster. If you can’t win 1 out of 4 straight games, you are dogmeat. Sharks 0-6 on the power play tonite…

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Agreed. I switched over after the Giants game ended…for about 30 seconds. Just checked…LA JUST scored. Fuck that shit…unreal.

55. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Sharkies with the epic collapse.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Absolutely epic. Coaches must be fired…

56. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

They’ve already gone through different coaches, different players. Same result. This is a little more godawful than usual.

57. Macdog said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Oh my, Sharks.

58. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Dubs in a must win tomorrow night. Need to take it to a game 7!

59. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Sharks have REGULARLY disappointed in the post season…but this takes the fucking cake. Not sure how much you can hang on the coaches…The top lines just disappeared over the last four games. Pathetic is putting it mildly, and kindly.

• snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I don’t see how McLellan and coaches, however good they may be, can survive this. This is absolute disasterville. SOS every year with the Sharks in the playoffs. Choke city. Blow it up…

• chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I agree.

60. unca_chuck said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Dubs have to avenge the Sharks . . . Sharks got up 3-0 and played like shit after that.

• Nipper said, on May 1, 2014 at 2:31 am

SHIT!

61. snarkk said, on April 30, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Hicks is starting to make me forget Scutaro…

62. chipower9 said, on April 30, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Sharks didn’t lose tonight….they got fucking EMBARRASSED!

Go Dubs!

63. Nipper said, on May 1, 2014 at 2:32 am

Today I’m glad I don’t follow the Sharks. And thank you Sabean for signing Hudson.

64. zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 4:30 am

The Giants’ record now is something like 12-1 when they score first. “We score (first), we win (a lot).”

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers