Huddy: 2014 Reincarnation of Billy Swift?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 1, 2014

Tim Hudson: he never had an inning where he threw more than 12 pitches. Padres suck? Or Hudson does not?

Posey: “I catch that many pitches in 4 or 5 innings sometimes…”

It’s only May 1st, but would Hudson win the CY if the season ended today? Since Jesse Chavez would probably get some CY votes in the AL, it’s probably a bad idea to give out Cy Young’s on May 1st….

Between Huddy, Morsey, and Hicksy I’m not sure if Sabean could have hand picked any better 3 free agents for the overall price he got them for.

Now, about the other guys who were already on the team…..

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2014 at 6:21 am

No shit regarding “Now, about the other guys who were already on the team…..” I’m glad our April record is outstanding because Kershaw is coming back. In fact, the idiots at Dodger Central pissed him off for making him do another rehab pitching assignment, despite him saying that he was ready to go after he completed the 1st one. So, what does he do? Pitches in a minor league game last night, striking out 9, walking 2, in 5 innings. Uhh yeah, he looks ready.

2. imyomamma2 said, on May 1, 2014 at 6:55 am

Reblogged this on THE LIGHTER SIDE OF SPORTS and commented:
    As a member of the Swift Family and a huge fan of Tim Hudson this blog made me smile real big! :)

• Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 7:36 am

Welcome to the insane world of the Flap., imyomama2
      Nice pics at your site.

• Flavor said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm

thanks. What part of the Swift family are you from?

3. willedav said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:39 am

Pence starting to pick it up, he and Pagan look great at top of the LU. Crawford doing good things too. Another 4 with LA at the end of the trip, should be fun.

Perez needs to relax and see some pitches. As leadoff, last night he swung at 3 of first 4 pitches thrown and never got on all night. Same stuff I saw after his hot streak last year. Settle down, man.

As to the Sharks, very disappointing but I don’t buy the blow it up/trade top dogs/fire the coach noise. It’s nonsense. They have a lot of good players, and the coaching staff helped them get as far as they did–if you don’t win often enough regular season you don’t even get the chance to play playoff hockey. Boston did the same thing in 2010 and won a cup a few years later. Only 1 team ever goes home happy.
    I don’t like Niemi and losing top D guy Vlasic hurt. Kings goalie was way better and their D were too, more physical and tougher on the Sharks big guns, all of whom were shut down, including Couture and Pavelski and others beside Thornton and Marleau. Build on what you have and add to it

• Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

I agree overall on Perez, although he did hit one if the first inning that had HR distance, and was barely foul. Regardless, I like this kid.

4. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:59 am

I’m no hockey guru, but I say blow it up. Or blow it up halfway. This happens every year with the same core crew of the Sharks. Every year. First or second round, the team disappears as if somebody turned a switch off. Now they’ve done it under Mclellan a few times. Do I give an S if they do or don’t? No…

5. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:01 am

Hudson’s got the April Cy. The guy is a pro. Plus, I think we’re benefitting from him not throwing the second half last year. His arm is probably pretty damn fresh. So, his arm isn’t 38. It’s 37+…

• zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:49 am

The April CY for the whole NL would have to be Greinke (5-0), wouldn’t it? And Wainwright has some pretty amazing numbers, too. But definitely I would put Hudson in the top 3 or 4 so far.

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Who’s Greinke?… ;)

6. gianthead said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:05 am

Catching up from last night, first thing Wilco Joe is that Buckhead is a must. Virginia Highlands is also a great bar spot. Their version of Haight-Ashbury. Nothing is near the stadium, you want to leave that part of town as fast as you can.

In regard to Price, it technically would not be a sign and trade because you are not asking the Rays to sign him and then trade him. You are just asking that they agree to an extension as a contingency to any trade. I cant recall any recent deals with an extension, but I dont think it is against the labor agreement to do so. The union just discourages guys from not testing the free agent monetary levels. If I dont get that guarantee I am not trading Crick or Escobar. They have to settle for the lower Top 10 prospects.

Now with the Sharks, I have to disagree with williedav. Time to blow it up. The effort in the last 4 game was beyond stupefying. I dont blame the coach or the goalie. Guys were not getting back in the last 4 games and the Kings just picked us apart. I think Thornton has to go. He should still be a valuable trade target. I have just lost any confidence in him leading the team to the promised land. Marleau is just too old at this point to be a leader. I think a splash is needed and I am making the official prediction they are going to trade for Ovechkin, whose time has come to an end in DC. Capitals need a shakeup and so do the Sharks. Would be a sensible trade partner. To land Ovechkin, probably would take Couture and Thornton and one other guy. I am not sure what the Caps lack since I dont bother watching them.

My thought on Timmy is that father-created delivery is what he knows. He does not know how to pitch like Hudson with a smoother/effortless delivery. How do you teach a guy an entire new approach? With his slenderness, the old delivery was how his father built it to stand apart and get the most out of his arm. I dont think he has it in his physical abilities to transition into a Billy Swift or Tim Hudson.

That is why I think the pursuit of Price makes sense. Voggy can long relief and Lincecum in the pen during a playoff run. And only reason I was bringing it up yesterday was just because it was thrown out there by Gammons and Russo yesterday. I am still banking on my 60-1 Giants vs. Rays World Series…but my 450-1 Warriors vs. Nets finals matchup is in big trouble:(

7. stickman said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:19 am

Ahh. Nothing says perfect coda to a 5-1 homestand than a smooth, quiet ride in our vintage Hudson Terraplane. Sad in a way, though, that he has more wins than the rest of the rotation combined. Said it before and now he’s looking more and more like the Stopper that every team needs to ward off potential losing streaks.

Beginning tomorrow that road-trip and the entire month of May looks to be nothing less than a huge test for the team. Nasty schedule and you can double down on the nasty. Tough bunch of teams and most of them face us in their own yards. Keys to whether or not SF has a successful month or at least plays .500 ball will be those veteran Giants who have not done so well to date. Will Belt get back on track once he’s away from getting ATTed? Can Pablo finally get his season on the road? Can Timmy find himself? Is it possible that half of Vogie’s starts will be good ones? Will our Horse get enough offense behind him that he is not forever being Cained? Does Bumgarner realize he has been passed by Hudson as the team Ace and will he fully rebound to make it a race?

So there’s a heap of questions as we segue into the May schedule. Possibly the best answer is that all of these guys are proven MLers with excellent track records. I’ll be fine with it if they simply revert to their mean. That happens and we could actually make hay in May.

8. sammy said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:29 am

Forget $$$$$$$$$$$Price. He’ll obviously want to test the MKT unless you give him Kershaw money. They will find an affordable alt.

So far so good with Hudson. Things can change but Giants and A’s look like they got the best deals with Hudson and kazmir.

9. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:46 am

May is a fairly brutal schedule. 29 games in 31 days. Looks like the toughest month in terms of schedule difficulty and days off, even considering Sept is all division games and the intensity will be up if they’re in the hunt. This May roadie looks pretty tough, I’d take 4-5 outta 9 on this one and be happy. Then home with Braves, Marlins, Twins, Cubs, with a Denver 3-game roadie sandwich. I’d say go .500 or 1 or 2 games over with the tough teams, then make hay with the ending home stand with Miami, Twins and Cubs. Ending the month in St. Louis with 3. I’d take a 16-13 May right now, maybe even 15-14. Any better would be gravy, IMO. June is easier with 17 games at home, with 4 days off and not as tough a schedule of teams — should make some hay in June if the bats come around some more. Not looking forward to that mid-August short roadie to Chicago and then Nats. Giants don’t do well in sauna conditions. At least they’re getting Atlanta and Pitt outta the way now and Cards roadie at end May before the ultra sauna starts there…

• Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 11:02 am

Upcoming roadie is actually a 10 gamer (4 against the Bums at the end). I would be happy with .500 ball on that trip.

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:03 pm

So, the roadie is even tougher. Yep, .500 would be a good result. For some reason, that Pittsburgh visit looks nasty, as usual. At least it shouldn’t be broiling hot there this time of year…

• Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Yep…the Bucs always seem to play us tough…especially in their yard. I think we went 3-4 against them last year.

10. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:50 am

Swiftie was always a hairs-breadth away from the DL. Huddy the bulldog is, well, bulldoggish.

Would have been cool to see Hudson pitch against the Braves though. Biiiiig roadie coming up.

Apropos of nothing, was I the one who brought up ‘mean?’ Or was it James? Yikes. Can’t get away from it now!

11. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:51 am

Didn’t realize Huddy was a 6th round pick with the A’s back in the day.

12. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:30 am

Interesting fantasy league take (backed up with stats) on Lincecum’s home run rate, as well as other pitchers in MLB. Regarding Lincecum, the bottom line is “. . . if you can stomach an ERA in the 4.00-to-4.50 range, he’s worth rostering for the Ks.”

13. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

If you guys have extra cash for charity, and a desire to sip cocktails with JT Snow and other Giants…

14. Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Should be a good game tonight between the Clips and Dubs. I like the Warriors’ chance to extend the series. If they get to a game 7, while it will be in Smell-A, anything can happen (Dubs took game one on the road).

GO DUBS!

On a separte note…I was glancing at the standings. Giants with a nice April 17-11 and an 18+ run differential.

A’s only one game better at 18-10, but with a 59+ run differential. Damn.

15. salty said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hard to assess this team after a month against division foes–7 against the 9-22 D-backs. Not sure how good Cle either. They are now 4-11 on the road. This month will provide a clearer picture.

16. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hey, did you guiys hear about the flag football game between the Niners and the Dolphins at the Stick? I don’t know any details, but it is some time in July. Would be a great day to wander around the Stick one last time.

• Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I did hear that and also that Montana and Marino will be QBing. Flapalooza?

17. zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm

The Giants aren’t getting any help from the crappy Twins. The NL West is feasting on the AL Central this season.

18. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Mind-blowing stat of the day (for James!) is the Giants are 3rd in the league (the LEAGUE!) in home runs.

• zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I saw a stat somewhere, too, that showed them ranking very high in the all-time Giants list, NY & SF, for homeruns in April.

• Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm

They mentioned it on the pre-game last night…

19. zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Speaking of the team’s roadtrip to Pittsburgh…..one of my favorite memories of the 2012 season was the day my wife and I visited Jack London State Park, which is terrific in and of itself; but also on the ride home we listened to a huge amount of the game, Giants vs. Pirates. The enjoyment of baseball on the radio. I don’t even remember if the Giants won that day or not, but that game was part of the beautiful tapestry of the 2012 season.

20. zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 pm

It’ll be nice not having to face McCann in Atlanta; he seemed to often hurt the Giants.
    Of course, that’s just how it SEEMS to me in memory. Usually this is where one of the more SABR-minded Flappers will say, “Why no, Zumiee, in fact McCann has only batted .043 vs. the Giants in his career” or something like that.
    :) :)

21. salty said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Someone (Forbes?) did a study of all ballparks based on a bunch of criteria wins, prices, food, aesthetics etc….and PNC came out on top, ATT was 6th.

• Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 3:42 pm

That’s what happens when you have a money/binnez pub rating ballparks. Though I have heard PNC is every bit as special as our yard. But 6th? Would like to know the other 4 yards rated ahead of ours.

22. salty said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Strange. Hicks has a 1.1 WAR– Morse just a 0.7.

• zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 3:05 pm

As the saying goes: WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

23. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Hey Chuck , About that Niner/ Fins flag football game, it’s Joe the Man, Jerry, Roger Craig (not the 83 yrs old one) and I believe another 49er,Against .Marino and undetermined Fish.
    Last chance for Marino to ever best the legend in any sport! Ain’t gonna happen Danny Boy!!😄

• unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Yeah, this should be another mini-flapapalooza . . .

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Near 60 year olds playing flag football? An excuse to see the ‘Stick one last time, I guess. Nobody pulls a muscle or snaps an achilles doing that, right? They should have a charity raffle on who gets to push the button to detonate the place…

• zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Maybe the players in the flag football game should take whatever Juan Uribe is taking. Ah, kidding, kidding………sort of.

24. Chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Okay Chuck – you’re in charge of finding out the details, and then we can begin the “Flap Assault on The Stick.”

• Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Hey Boys, Let’s do it right and have SanDawg’s little Dawg & Chuck’s penolepe speed racer,announce their engagement on the big screen at the Stick’s last concert featuring Paul McCartney!! A real Flapaplozza party for all-time!!
      How’s that sound Chuckles?

• unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Will do. Chi’s not AK’s!

25. zumiee said, on May 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Throwback Thursday, throwing it all the way back to opening day at Seals Stadium, 1958. The Giants beat the Dodgers 8-0. A couple of years later Seals Stadium was torn down to build a shopping center, as the Giants moved on to Candlestick Park.
    Nice camera shots of the neighborhood views beyond the outfield fences at Seals Stadium, located at 16th and Bryant.

26. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I think there’s a CVS there now? Also a plaque comemorating the site. Gonna have to go there sometime.

• blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Actually Chuck, my aunt lives near there on 11th and there is a Safeway between Bryant St and Potrero Ave. Area is otherwise known as Franklin Square. In the video, that is Highway 80 (101) in the background.

• chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Let’s do a Stick “Tell it Goodbye” Flapalooza, and meet at the plaque beforehand and have a cold one.

27. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2014 at 5:51 pm

CVS sucks.

• WilcoJoe said, on May 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Can’t buy your smokes there no more, eh Loo?

• SanDawg said, on May 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm

-I miss Long’s Drugs, bigtime. I know my mom would have my back on that take as well.

-I agree, lets pump the brakes on Kat’s plan and pursue Chi’s idea!

-One of my favorite pieces of memorabilia is a photo of the first MLB pitch at Seal’s Stadium signed by the first batter–Geno Cimoli, who was an SF native.

• chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:48 pm

You have that photo, SanD? That’s fucking awesome. I am seriously down with a Stick Goodbye get together. And I answered Chuck’s comment earlier that we should meet at the Seal’s Stadium plaque beforehand and have a cold one.

28. Flavor said, on May 1, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Play dirty. Jordan can’t stand it when someone breaths on him much less fouls him. Send Jermaine out there to exact some old man strength on this dude. Open up the lane, win the game, baby….

29. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Not certain how many Buck Showalter fans there are here . . . I’m one. Excellent and long article about him here . . http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/73716834/inside-baseball-life-of-baltimore-orioles-manager-buck-showalter?partnerId=ed-8141946-658620023#!G538c

• chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:50 pm

No offense, Steve…but I cannot stand Showalter. Dude for some reason just always got under my skin.

30. Flavor said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:34 pm

devastating end to Jermaine Oneal’s career. I’ve always liked this guy, followed his career since he was in high school. He was not a nice guy when he hit the NBA but he turned into a flat out leader, someone I would want my kid to ultimately be (as a person).
    And Big Fat Baby Davis barrels into him for no reason and blows out his MCL?
    I’m just disgustedly disheartened right now. Fuck that bumbling fat fuck……..

• chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Are you serious? Fuck…I missed that. Was away from the game for a bit. That sucks!

31. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Fouls are a joke in the NBA. Big Baby intentionallly slams into O’Neal’s knees and knocks him out of the game. Speights stares at a guy and he gets T’ed up.

32. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Are the Warriors the only team to get called for moving screens? I’ve seen about 12 in the last 2 games.

33. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

The refs are making this game unwatchable.

34. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:03 pm

That’s 42 fouls called in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half.

35. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I was watching this game in a brew pub. I got through about half a pint and 8 fouls called on the Dubs. No question who the the NBA wants to win this series. Curry can get mugged, no call. Any Dub gets near a Clip and the Clip flops — offensive foul on the Dubs. Unreal. There is no way the Dubs win this game with Mo Speights and David Lee on the front line, unless Curry and Thompson shoot lights out in the second half…

36. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Wow! Jansen about to blow a save in the 12th inning . . . Loaded the bases no one out. 4-2 score over the Twins.

37. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Dubs got a shitload of heart. O’Neal’s injury is just tragic. Even if they win tonight, they won’t get past game 7.

The fouls are just brutal.

• chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm

On paper that is true. Warriors took game one down there. I know…between the talent and conspiracy theorists, the Dubs don’t have a chance if it gets to a game 7.

38. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

DeAndre Jordan commits his 7th foul on a rebound. That’s the 1st one called on him.

39. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Haven’t caught up on the recent comments….saw something about fouls. Absolutely some bullshit fouls being called tonight. Keep the pedal down Dubs!

40. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Lee with a retarded foul.

41. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:58 pm

How do you let yourself foul a guy shooting a 3?

42. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Why is David Lee fouling on a 3 pointer attempt when he already has 4 fouls and there are no bigs left on the bench worth a darn? You have to know these refs are giving LA every foul that is even close…

43. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Fuck…there should have been a foul on the put-back by Green…

44. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:02 pm

That’s just fucking asinine Lee fouling out…

45. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Lee got slammed on the head on his dunk. No call. Just about 15 bad calls this game.

Make that 16. They can throw Curry all over the place, but Griffin gets bodied and its a foul.

46. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Speights has to keep this up.

47. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Dubs playing with fire right now!
    Speight’s big time playing, atleast Warriors show passion and emotion in an elimination game, unlike the Sharks who Tanked at the Tank..

• chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Who are the Sharks?

48. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Fuck how do give up a basket with 1 sec on the clock from the sidelines for a fucking layup? Un believable, but true seen I watched it.

49. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Iggy!

50. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Sweet 3 Ingo, and a chance for 4 and knocking Griffin out of the game,extra sweet!

51. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:26 pm

About time they called a fucking foul on Jordan.

52. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Sit the fuck down Redick…

53. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Damn! Rebound the fucking ball Dubs…

54. chipower9 said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:31 pm

A win is a win…game 7 bitches! Time to steal one in Smell A.

55. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:32 pm

What a crazy ending!!
    But game 7 is coming the Warriors way, screw the Clippers!

56. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Hearing game on the radio, sounded like a football game. What are the odds the Dubs can win in LA? 15-1? Maybe they can get Ezeli to finally play. Bogut should shoot up that rib and just stand there, if he has to…

57. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Draymond Green MVP tonight!!
    Unbelievable play at Center ferchrissakes! Love his determination& Grit, kid’s a major baller!

58. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Saw the replay of that Big Baby foul on O’Neil on NBA.com. WTF was that — looked like he was tackling O’Neil at knee level. Total BS…

59. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Yeah, nothing on him, and Speights gets a T for looking at Paul.

For all the fouls the called, they could have called 8 on that last possession by the Clips.

Ezekiel time. He’s been 2 weeks away all season.

Barnes played pretty well tonight.

Lee and Thompson have to really watch the ticky tacky fouls on Saturday. Same with Green. These games are called way too close..

60. unca_chuck said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Frankly i don;t think the Warriors stand a chance. The way these games are called will determine the game. If it’s like tonight, they don;t stand a chance. Got to love the Warriors crowd. They shame the LA crowd.

With O’Neal and Bogut out, Speights needs to come through. He did pretty well tonight. Curry looked dead tired by the end of the game. He’lll need to get some kind of rest more than he got tonight,

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:55 pm

No question what team will get the foul calls in home court LA with this BS reffing in the NBA. If the Dubs don’t have a center, could be a blowout in the second half. Speights at center an entire game? That’s almost laughable. If they have no center, Dubs gotta go small, spread the floor and play a transition game, and hope they shoot lights out…

• Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Nate Thurmond Told Jackson I can give you 5-6 min plus 5 to 6 really hard fouls!

61. Alleykat said, on May 1, 2014 at 10:54 pm

It was BS Snarkk ,
    O’Neal was totally defenseless, and Baby Shit just steam rolled him,
    Speight’s got some revenge later on Paul with a flagrant foul statement so it could get ugly in game 7 so bring it on!

62. snarkk said, on May 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I give the Dubs credit, they won that game on guts and moxie, being down to no real center, and no shooting forward in Lee fouling out with 9 minutes to go. If they lose Sat night, they’ve done well under the circumstances. Dunno if Jackson survives after the Dubs are done in the playoffs, short of the conf final. There’s been some crazy stuff apparently going on behind the scenes with the coaches and management, per the various reports. Jackson wanted to keep Jerry West out of watching practices? One asst coach lit up and basically fired in front of the team by Jackson? Another asst coach taping private coach conversations? That’s some crazy allegations…

63. James said, on May 2, 2014 at 7:07 am

If I recall correctly, Bill Swift threw pretty hard, in the 92-94 range. He was kind of a proto Kevin Brown. Hudson reminds me more of Big Daddy. Crafty, economical geezers who can hit.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:04 am

Other than Hudson weighs about 80 pounds less than Bid Daddy…

64. Nipper said, on May 2, 2014 at 7:26 am

Geezer? Economical geezer? I can relate to that.

65. willedav said, on May 2, 2014 at 7:26 am

Win or lose Dubs have made a lot of fans, just like last year playoffs. sloppy game by both sides, poor shooting, injuries, foul trouble…I like Green better when he is attacking the basket instead of shooting 3s, and I just like Barnes to have the ball more than Lee or Jordan Crawford and be involved in the O. They have to attack Paul Crawford Collison and of course Reddick, make those guys play D. And ultimately it seems to come down to who gets hot/who is not.

Been a great series of battles, and I’d bet Jackson survives. This is a players league more so than other sports, and they have his back. Some unknown assistant x and o guy or an old fart retread wouldn’t cut it. As to the refs, you gotta adjust and suck it up and not let it get into your head; Paul and Griffin are gonna get their calls. Try and avoid the early ones and defend inside more than perimeter against them.

66. Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:07 am

I think Jackson survives, and if the owner/management decide to can him, I think it a huge mistake. The players seem to respect him, and as mentioned earlier, have his back. The odds are long against the Dubs in LA, but stranger things have happened (see Sharks playoff run/end of it this year).

Giants get it started in Hotlanta today. Lincecum, Vogey and MadBum queued-up for the series. All of April with the exception of the Indians were against NL West opponents. Giants went 3-3 against Rox, D-Backs and Padres, 4-2 against the Bums and swept the Tribe. Time to see how they stack-up against the NL East on the road (6 games) and then four against the Bums in the latrine. Probably the toughest month on the schedule. 16 on the road, 13 at home. If they end the month a few over .500, I think that is a win, and I would gladly take .500 on this 10 game swing.

67. snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:13 am

The FM sports station is reporting YahooSports will be coming out soon with a big hit-piece on Mark Jackson with more not-so-cool stuff about him…

• Alleykat said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:27 am

Who’s Yahoo Sports?

• Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 9:46 am

Well, if they shitcan Jackson, I think they are fucking up….the dude has taken the team to the post-season the last two years, and they had their first 50 win season in a long time.

68. DJLoo said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:15 am

Day by day.

69. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:53 am

This sounds just like the Niners. Internal bullshit while the head coach gets more out of the team than the previous 5 guys combined. I think we’re going to hear about Jackson’s apparent Christian views on the gays? His distain for Jerry West? Who knows? The thing is, Jackson’s the coach. He has been the difference-maker, as Harbaugh has. Have they won it all? No. But look where they were before him (them).

Wonder if they got some of that tape from the fired assistant coach. Can’t say anything to anyone anywhere anymore without fear of being taped/outed/destroyed.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 9:07 am

Ultimately, it’s the owner’s call. These billionaire owners do what they want. If Lacob and Jackson don’t get along for whatever reason(s), we know which guy is leaving and which is staying. Maybe Jackson gets along great with the players, and pisses off everybody else in the organization. I still haven’t seen what that taping was all about, or who authorized it, if anybody. The coach that did it just got hired by the Celtics, so that tells me it wasn’t his decision to tape all by his lonesome…

70. snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 8:58 am

I’m not diggin’ Puig’s antics, like most Giants fans. But, this is an absolutely bogus call on the guy. Puig never even came close to crossing the base line into fair territory. The Twins’ announcer saying Puig turned and “squared” towards second base is hallucinating.

• Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 9:52 am

I detest Puig as much, if not more so, than the next Giant fan, but that was a total bullshit call. WTF…

• unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2014 at 11:07 am

By defnintion, a lean is all it takes. It has nothing to do with the baseline. It was called right.

• Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 11:20 am

Well, I watched it a couple of times, Charlie, and I didn’t see it. Whatever…does not take away from the fact that Puig is a jackass.

71. snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 10:37 am

As much as I’ve ignored the NBA for well over a decade, I’ve enjoyed watching/listening to the Dubs off and on this year. Curry is really an amazing athlete, for a slight of build guy he accomplishes a lot. He can be had, but only with extraordinary effort like the Clips are putting on him now — effort that will not be applied in the mostly BS regular season games. I saw him on TV play St. Mary’s a few years ago, he was a good shooter, but he didn’t look to me like he’d develop into the star he is now. Obviously he’s worked hard. He’s not a superstar, IMO, since his defense leaves a lot to be desired. At least his ankle issues seem to have gone away, that’s good. IMO the Dubs need to get a stud power forward who can shoot in order to be championship material. They’re not going to get a championship with Curry and a bunch of pretty good players, which is what they’ve got now. Lacob wants to develop a Staples Center north, to attract top FAs, that’s why he’s moving to SF to be the Jerry Buss of Norcal. In the NBA, one player can change the course of an entire franchise from good to top shelf. Curry has gotten them to good, but they still need that one other guy to get to top shelf…

72. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2014 at 11:06 am

Curry’s defense is fine. He’s close to the league lead in steals (I think), and he out-rebounds and out-hustles guys much bigger than him (Thomspon). He really is a latter-day AIan Iverson.

If Bogut could stay healthy, and Igloudala was 5 years younger, they would be pretty damn close now. I really thought they were going to beat the Spurs last year (when they had Jack handling the ball), and SA nearly beat the Heat, so they aren’t too far away. Thompson is developing (grudgingly) an inside game. Something the Dubs needed badly last year. And they didn’t have Lee in the playoffs.

The bewnch this year got better with Blake,Crawford, and O’Neal. Especially Blake.

Lee may not be all-world, but he’s a good cutter and passer. Barnes and Green (hell of a game last night) are just coming into their own. Get a point guard so Curry can play off the ball more, and the Dubs will be hard to beat.

For all the heat Jackson is taking, to lose him now would be a major step back.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 11:17 am

Lee is exposed as a softie playing against a squad like the Clips. He does what he can, but it’s not good enough for playoff intensity. He gets torched inside trying to go to the rim, and is better off around the key taking 12-15 foot jumpers, he can make those. Trying to force layups against Jordan and Griffin is a suicide mission for him. Speaking of guards, why was Blake a coach’s DNP decision this last game? Didn’t they get him to take some minutes to handle to see if Curry can get loose as an off guard?. Curry’s defense is fine as long as he’s scoring in the mid 20s+. He makes steals, but he’s not bodying up anybody tough; Thompson is the kid who can play D…

• unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I’d rather see Lee coming off the bench and get a bigger better inside presence. Iggy’s consistently dominant day are behind him.

The weird thing about Thompson is he’s much bigger and taller than Curry but Curry had about 100 more rebounds.

73. Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 11:27 am

So, with Tim and Vogey taking the ball in the first two games in Atlanta, if they both struggle, how long does the team continue before making a change (Petit into the rotation, etc.)? I digTim and would love to see him come around, but I really do not see it happening as a starter.

Was just reading that between 2007 and 2011 Timmy had 113 quality starts in 155 starts (73%). Beginning with the 2012 season he has made 29 quality starts in 70 starts (41%). So it isn’t like the dude just started to struggle. This shit has been going on for a while (too long IMO).

I still think he would be great as a set-up guy (7th or 8th). Vogey is quite the condundrum. He pisses all over himself one game, then comes out with a stellar outing the next. This is right in line with what most teams get from their number 5.

All considered, I would continut to trop Vogey out for starts, and in the not too distrant future (if all things remain the same), I would put Tim in the bullpen. I know it probably isn’t going to happen, but believe it should sooner rather than later.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 11:31 am

Timmy won’t go to the Pen unless he absolutely craters again and again and again. Too much coin in that contract for that. Would it make baseball sense to keep starting him in the face of an ERA north of 5? No. I’ve said before I thought Timmy would eventually become a Pen guy. When, I don’t know. I think he would do well there, just always pitch outta the stretch and get rid of that wacky windup that makes him inconsistent, and enables batters to spit on his out pitches as they wait for the gopher pitch up in the zone…

74. Alleykat said, on May 2, 2014 at 12:32 pm

You guys need to back off the Timster!
    He one of the most durable pitchers in the league, gives you 200 plus innings every year! That’s all Bochy cares about!
    I really think he’s pitched pretty good so far,and his Walks are down and his K’s are always good per innings pitched!

• unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Runs per inning is the concern for Zito Jr. . . .

• Alleykat said, on May 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Shit you can say that about Snots, he is the leader in hits allowed per start though a lower era then Tim. No doubt besides Huddy the SP staff has issues, which of course we all know.

• Nipper said, on May 2, 2014 at 2:27 pm

MEOW…..

75. snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Belt not starting against the LHP — Buster to 1B. Panda’s been in the batting toidy for a month, he’s in the 5 hole. Strangely, since he’s supposed to be a better LH batter, this season Panda’s actually hitting better RH against LHPs, at .200, vs. .161 as LH batter against RHPs…

• James said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:00 pm

And Belt’s troubles have come almost exclusively against mid 90 mph RHers.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Against all LHPs, Belt is hitting .325 this year; against all RHPs he’s at .212. Minor is a LHP. Am I missing something on why Belt’s sitting?…

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Flemming just said Belt’s getting an extra day to fix the funk, and Hector’s been hot…

76. WilcoJoe said, on May 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Getting ready to head to the Ted. Gorgeous day with temps in the mid seventies. Scored a great seat on Stubub, 3 rows up on field level just past Giants dugout for only $50.

• Alleykat said, on May 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Nice job Wilco,
      Beats going to an Astro game I assume?

• WilcoJoe said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Yes, nice to finally have some decent competetion.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Wilco — can you give us a report on the condition of the Ted? The Braves are scheduled to move to a new stadium way north of downtown for the 2017 season. The stadium was finished in 1996 for the Olympics. So, after the Braves leave, they’re going to demo a structure that’s only 20 years old. Maybe they could put it on a big truck and move it out to Oakland…

77. Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 2:21 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    2. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    4. Michael Morse (R) LF
    5. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    6. Hector Sanchez (S) C
    7. Brandon Hicks (R) 2B
    8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:35 pm

This lineup has some pop, on paper anyway. I’d still rather see Craw hitting 2nd, but I guess they figure Hicks in 8th would be getting nothing but curveballs, which he’s not too good at hitting…

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Other than Belt slumping, is there another reason why he isn’t in the lineup? I really dislike Posey at first, as it only gives him a quasi break from catching and he’s a lousy 1st baseman defensively.

78. WilcoJoe said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Stadium is okay, nothing special. Can’t beleive it’s only four years older than our yard. Seats very faded, paint fading everywhere. Location not within walking distance to anything unless you want to buy some crack and cheap whores. Nothing special at all in the concourses. Did find a nice Goose Island IPA to keep me company.

79. WilcoJoe said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

The good news is I am surrounded by Giants fans. Hopefully Lincecum keeps it close and we can drown out that damn tomahawk chop chant, that I’am sure will lead to me to drink about five Honkers before they cut me off.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I don’t know what’s worse, the constant Tomahawk chop or the USC droning song (name?) they play incessantly during a football game. I’ll go with USC as worse…

• Alleykat said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:58 pm

TImeout intro for the USC fight song! Time out for USC we got to pants the referee!Da da da
        Better then the Tomahawk shit anytime!!

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 4:02 pm

F USC…

80. Chipower9 said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I saw a game there years ago (shortly after it opened) while on a business trip to Hotlanta. Even when it was fairly new I didn’t think it anything special. Represent! GO GIANTS!

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I can name the 5 places I would go in the south off the top of my head: 1. San Antonio; 2. Austin; 3. New Orleans; 4. Atlanta; and, 5. Florida.

Maybe Galveston too. Otherwise, I’m packing heat and/or going with plenty of white people. :-)

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Ahh shit . . . Forgot Charleston, SC (had a great time there with a lady friend and I felt safe . . . LOL).

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Galveston sucks. I hear Donald Sterling is available for travel opportunities…

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Really? I’ve never been there, but knew it was accessible to the gulf. Thanks, scratched it off my bucket list.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Galveston beach isn’t sand, it’s like little boulders. Humid as hell, even sometimes during the month long winter. They do have a Joe’s Crab Shack. WilcoJoe may have a different view. But IMO, do yourself a favor and spend 2 more days in N’awlins and the clubs on 6th street in Austin…

• WilcoJoe said, on May 2, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Galveston has tried to clean itself up but Snarkk is right, it still sucks. The water looks like a Neslte quick tanker ship lost it’s load. There are some beautiful historic Victorian homes, but otherwise it looks like east Oakland…They have some great little restaurants and shops in the strand area of downtown but that is about it. It has a ton of potential but growth has been slowed by city hall politicos.

81. snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm

How F’d up are Oakland and the A’s and Selig when Atlanta will be demolishing a perfectly OK 20-year old stadium as the Braves enter a brand new one, and the A’s have sewers backing up in their 48 year old mausoleum?…

82. zumiee said, on May 2, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Would BF or one of the Stable Boys like to put up a new Game Time thread? I’m at work and can’t do it.

• snarkk said, on May 2, 2014 at 4:16 pm

New game thread is up…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers