Changing My Tune

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 4, 2014

My dad thinks my threads are too negative so I’ll try to spruce this one up a bit. Perk it up. Raise it up. Pump it up. Energize….

We’ve got a chance to sweep the Braves in Atlanta today! (do exclamation points indicate a positive nature?). That hasn’t happened since 1988!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday was greats! We hit 3 home runs to win the game!

Does that mask our putrid .304 team on base percentage?

Eh, a little bit I guess…….

About these ads

1. James said, on May 4, 2014 at 9:59 am

That’s the beauty of OPS, you can make up for it by hitting a shitload of HRs. Bruce Bochy sure seems to be enjoying it.

Hey, Bozo, the only times I’ve been to Atlanta have been for a couple of conferences at Georgia Tech, so I kinda know the mid-town area a little. Never made it to the midtown Vortex or Little 5 Points, but I’ve seen some of East Atlanta on my way to Blind Willie’s. If I make it back, I’ll definitely check out Little 5 Points (assuming the hypzter center hasn’t shifted and I don’t yet look like a grand dad) and Decatur.

Around 5th or 6th grade, while living on an AFB in Germany, I had a pen pal who lived in Decatur. I still remember the picture she sent me. Long blonde hair, pulled down over the right shoulder. When I eventually sent her my photo, I never heard back. Wearing glasses just wasn’t a good look back in those days. Thank God for college.

• Bozo said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:30 am

“assuming the hypzter center hasn’t shifted and I don’t yet look like a grand dad” – You got that right, James. I’ve been some places where I’d bet large that I was the only one in the place without a piercing or a tat. And your right, the next hip place is probably already somewhere else. My wife used to live in Atlanta and we both have a few friends there so that has helped over the years.

In Little Five Points the Porter Beer bar is kind of trendy, but very good with shit loads of different brews. Across the street is the Yacht Club which is a bit more old school, I was a smoker the last time I was there, so being able to smoke inside was a big hit for me. In Decatur, I really like the Raging Burrito and Taco, good food, great drinks. A fun place to go with a group.
      Cheers man.

2. Nipper said, on May 4, 2014 at 10:16 am

Being negative early is ok. This Giants club just doesn’t hit enough period. I hope Sabean doesn’t rest to improve this lineup or the Giants are lost. The little things can kill you. HRS are nice but unreliable over the long term. Where are the men on base?

3. blade3colorado said, on May 4, 2014 at 10:17 am

I went to the Sherpa and Mets game last night. In a word, “WILD” as the Mets blew a 6-0 lead, where Colorado passed them in the 5th, 8-6, but then the Mets came back to tie it in the top of the 6th; but wait, Colorado passed them again in the bottom of the 7th. The Mets tied it in the 8th and then took the lead again in the top of the 9th . . . Until some unknown, named Culberson pinch hit and went yard, with Tulo on board to win the game, 10-9. There were 30 hits total for both teams and although the game was quite entertaining (if you dislike pitching) my neck hurt watching this Pachinko pinball game. Hilarious. :-)

4. willedav said, on May 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

As Butthead used to say, “He said *wood*.”

5. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:26 am

Don’t get me wrong, I love the dingers compared to the usual wet noodle power we’ve had since Bonds left. But, unlikely they’re going to keep up this pace and hit 200 HRs. So, they better get that team OBP up towards .320 if they want to be in the playoff hunt in Sept…

6. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:35 am

That new Braves park looks like its about 8-10 miles NW of downtown at the X of two freeways — 75 and 285. Must be where the money is. There just once, Atlanta reminded me of a smaller version of Houston, lots of different pockets of economic strength mixed all over; maybe with a little better weather overall, not much of a vibe other than sprawl…

7. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:36 am

Insert my usual rant about Giants pitchers and their crap fielding. Sheesh. Can’t even make a routine throw to first on a sac bunt?…

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:38 am

And, it costs a run…

8. WilcoJoe said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:41 am

Bozo, I was at the midtown Vortex location. Damn good burger, but not the best I ever had. I was expecting it to be more of a dive. Very yuppified, though I like the fact that they won’t allow anyone in under 18…Spent too much money to attend the finale, so now I’am back in Birmingham watching the game at a sports bar.

• James said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:52 am

For what this kind of thing is worth, the burger at the place I mentioned, Holeman & Finch, is in more than one best of list:

The booze concoctions are better than the burger, IMO.

• WilcoJoe said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I believe H@F had a burger stand at the ballpark.

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Last spring, visited New Mexico for a week. The green chile burgers with or without cheese are fandamtastic. Better IMO if you have the actual grilled Hatch green chiles, not the green chile sauce. But, either is good. With cheese cuts some of the heat. Terrific either way. That burger list had no NMex green chile burgers, a big hole in the list IMO…

9. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:46 am

Geography update:

Hickory, NC, the home of Madbum, is 259 miles and 4 hours drive NE from Turner Field. Hickory is 87 miles SW of Mt. Airy, NC, the real “Mayberry” of Andy Griffith fame.

Leesburg, GA, home of Buster, is 175 miles and 2 hrs. 40 drive SW from the ballpark.

10. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:47 am

Unreal how Craw is pounding LHPs so far. That’s the 10th solo HR in a row for Gyros. We need more OBP. Let’s get some dang dingers with men on base!…

• James said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:59 am

You’re right, Snarkk, 200 HRs is pretty unlikely. The low team OBP is coming largely from the bench. Can’t imagine Sandoval really will suck this bad for a lot longer. Belt won’t hit 40 HRs either, . . .

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Agreed Panda shouldn’t be hitting .175 into June. But, what if he’s hitting .225 into June? That’s entirely possible, which would be crazy for a guy who’s been a middle of the lineup guy since he’s been in MLB. He’s just putrid since the season started. It’s not that he’s hitting the ball at people– he’s not really hitting the ball hard at all..

11. Bozo said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:49 am

Craw gets in on the solo HR action.

Joe, I gotta like a guy having burgers and beers for breakfast before making the drive to Bama. :)

12. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

Dubs led the NBA in turnovers/game at 17.3, one more than 2nd place Raptors at 16.3 and 3 more than 5th place Clips at 14.3. Dubs need to get that down about 3 or 4 per game next year, and they’ll be in the top 4 finishers in the West. Sometimes, their turnovers are just mind boggling dumb. Last night, they had 18 to the Clips 13. There’s your ballgame. With essentially no center, the Dubs were in that game to the end, and likely would have won with 3 or 4 fewer silly turnovers…

• willedav said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Team wide bugaboo, not just Curry but Green and Igs too (I think he had 5 most on team last night). Too often trying to make high risk pass instead of safe one. Lee only passes out of desperation; making a TO in half court where you don’t get off a shot/slam dunk at other end really sucks.
      Part of Dubs problem is no one to replace Jack who can set up offense and get movement started when curry does not have ball in his hands. I wouldn’t bring back either Blake or Jordan Crawford, or the Euro guy Nems.

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Jordan Crawford either makes a bucket or an idiotically bad pass for a turnover or get’s his pocket picked. Seems not much in between. He gone. Blake gone. If Lee didn’t have such a huge contract, I’d get rid of him, too. He got smoked in this playoff, which one might say would not have happened if he weren’t actually playing the center position a lot, I suppose. But, I just don’t see him as much of a difference maker, and he’s soft on D. Dubs need a stud power forward that can bang and make some shots, too. Iggy doesn’t impress me much either. Yeah, good D, but offensively is very vanilla. I think the loss of Jack and Landry hurt, and they might have won this series with those two, along with the emergence of Draymond. Iggy’s starting totally discombobulated Barnes the whole season. They have to figure out how to fix him, it’s a shame to lose the talent that kid has…

13. willedav said, on May 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

Long as he ain’t throwing to 1b, Bum looks great today. What a series for the pitching staff.

14. blade3colorado said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:05 pm

The Tampa Bay Rays have designated former All-Star closer Heath Bell for assignment. Heath Bell should be eternally grateful and beholden to his agent who signed him to that three-year, $27 million contract with the Miami Marlins before the 2012 season. Since signing that deal, he has a 4.91 ERA and too many blown saves to count.

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm

$27M goes a long way in Fresno…

• willedav said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I think I read in cbs site story where if someone picks him up they only owe him a pittance, while 4 other teams are still paying the guy. Unreal.

15. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Giants just grip right now with men on base. Chance for Panda to do some damage right here with two down…

16. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Giants had a shot there with men on 1st and 2nd and no outs to get a cushion. Meat of the order going and — phttttt results. Now, the Braves pen is going to on lock down mission. This one is a toss up now…

17. James said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm

The team OBP so far in today’s game is an excellent 363 :-)

18. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Hicks is our Uggla…

19. willedav said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Too bad SF couldn’t finish Wood off and extend the lead beyond torture mode, but I’m with Jenkins on pitch counts. Somehow everybody is done after 100? This guy pitched great with 2 on, striking out Morse (again) and getting Belt and Sano to pop up to IF.

• James said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:21 pm

WillieD, 100 pitches after 5 innings should be treated differently from 100 after 7. The likelihood of injury and fatigue goes up the higher the concentration of pitches. Or so the stats say.

• willedav said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Understand, and Wood has had continuous stressful innings with runners on. But imo the number is strictly arbitrary and doesn’t account for individuality of pitchers or what they have working particular day. Kruk used to say he thought Cain had at least 120 in him, and I’d suspect Bum would too.

20. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hmmm. Walking Posey to get to Morse, putting men on 1st and 2nd, get the DP in order. Come on Morse — make ‘em pay for that…

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Well, that didn’t work for the Braves. Walk Morse to load em up. Come on Belt!…

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Dang. Hit it hard, right at the SS…

21. WilcoJoe said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:53 pm

This freaking offense. Where would we be without the solo homers?

22. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm

This year is shaping up like 2010. Homers drive the scoring, torture abounds…

• James said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm

If SF outscores the opposition by 114 runs this season, that’s a guaranteed playoff spot and likely a first place finish.

23. James said, on May 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Half the Braves losses this year:

2-0
    2-1
    1-0
    1-0
    2-1
    3-1

Losing 2-1 today . . . it does happen to other good teams.

24. unca_chuck said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Crawfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 WITH a runner on.

25. WilcoJoe said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Crawford!

26. salty said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm

It’s the big orange and black machine!

27. Bozo said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Craw is doing it all this series.

28. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Craw!….

29. Alleykat said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Brandon Crawford “Your the Man!”
    2 HUGE BOMBS!!

30. Macdog said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

The Craw again!

31. salty said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Think he came in tired of hearing about Andrelton?

32. Bozo said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Sit down, Upton.

33. Macdog said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeep!

Seriously, first sweep at Atlanta since ’88? That sounds about right. They’ve never had one at the Ted, and I figured the last time had to be when the Braves were a bad team, which would be the late 80s.

And what a fantastic series for Craw, with the defensive gems in the first two games and the two bombs today. Yeah, rest of baseball, there are other shortstops besides Simmons.

34. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Fine start to a projected bad ass roadie…

35. Bozo said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Sweet sweep.

36. Alleykat said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Get them brooms out for Sweeping!
    Orange&Black Attack is back!

37. Macdog said, on May 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Nice job by MLB Network showing a replay of the Marlins’ walkoff win over the Bums right after after the Giants win.

38. Alleykat said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Mudbug was just mentioning to Kruk about keeping his hip square to the pitcher and not bailing out,seems to be workin fine I would say!
    Then again it could be new material for Kruk again,if Craw struggles,cause he will say “Its all about his “Hip Slot”

39. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Morse made a nice catch up against the LF wall with a little jump to catch that Uggla drive. Morse is really not that bad of a fielder, he’s a better fielder than Pat the Bat was. He makes the routine plays and some plays that are a bit challenging, like that one today. All the more reason not to pull him out too early for D purposes…

40. snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Giants swept this series with NO, ZERO, NADA hits with RISP…

41. zumiee said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

The Dodgers came pretty close to getting swept by the Marlins.

Dee Gordon added 20 pounds in the off-season, and is hitting .350 so far. Yeah, nothing suspicious-looking about that.

• snarkk said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Wheat germ and malted milks…

• unca_chuck said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Flaxseed oil . . .

• zumiee said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm

42. unca_chuck said, on May 4, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Atl scores 4 runs in 3 days. Sweeet job by all the starters. Something tells me Atl goes on a tear after this.

• zumiee said, on May 4, 2014 at 3:02 pm

The Giants are now something like 14-1 when they score first. Lots of credit goes to the pitching for that.

43. zumiee said, on May 4, 2014 at 3:10 pm

According to Carl Steward, these are the pitching match-ups vs. the Pirates:

“Matt Cain said he’s almost certainly a go for Monday night in Pittsburgh. No issues. What was uncertain until this morning is who the Pirates would be pitching, but it appears they’ll be facing Jeff Locke, another left-hander, who was just called up from Triple-A. The other series matchups: Tim Hudson (4-1, 2.27) vs. Charlie Morton (0-4, 4.21) on Tuesday night followed by Tim Lincecum (2-1, 5.12) against Gerrit Cole (2-2, 3.69) on Wednesday afternoon.”

44. blade3colorado said, on May 4, 2014 at 4:02 pm

If my fantasy league pitching was even half as good as the Giants pitching of late, I wouldn’t be throwing shit at my pc monitor every 15 minutes or so. Gonna have to get a new monitor if this keeps up. Sigh.

45. James said, on May 4, 2014 at 4:32 pm

It’s good to the see the starting pitchers step it up a bit lately. They still have a fair way to go before my skepticism disappears.

I just quickly looked up the historical stats for collective bullpen ERAs. The ESPN site only goes back to 2000. Since then, the lowest bullpen ERA recorded was 2.47 last year by the Cards. The Giants BP is again down around 1.8 after today. That’s very unlikely to last the whole season. Offense in the league is pretty much on par with last year, about 8 runs scored a game. If we get a 2.5 ERA out of Sergio and Co., that’ll be a fantastic season.

At the moment, the starters ERA is 3.71. The overall league ERA is 3.56. The starting pitchers are still underperforming relative to the rest of the league. As the BP ERA goes up, they’ll need to continue the current trend towards respectability to compensate.

• DJLoo said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I think that when James gets into an elevator and wants to go the 4th floor, he presses 3 and 5, figuring it’ll just stop in the middle…

• James said, on May 4, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Actually, if it’s only 4 floors, I’ll always take the stairs to help improve my HDL/LDL ratio and ensure that I don’t get fucked over by the other assholes wasting my time stopping at floors 1, 2, and 3.

• Flavor said, on May 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm

and that’s weird since he himself said TODAY that he’s ready to go. I guess “ready to go” mighta meant to the DL, who knows.

• DJLoo said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:42 pm

If it’s retroactive to when he last pitched then is it only a 4 day DL?

46. Alleykat said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Guess Carl Steward doesnt know everything about Matt Cain starting Mon after all!
    Jake Dunning recalled?
    How many pitchers do we need up here?
    Rather try and strengthen our weak ass bench…

• Flavor said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Colvin will be up soon, Perez down. Probably transfer Scoots to the 60 day DL to deal with the 40 man issue.

• DJLoo said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:32 pm

In the Spring, I was more enthused about Colvin than Morse…

• Flavor said, on May 4, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I was enthused about both of them. And don’t give up on Colvin. He can hit. If his back is straight I would turn to him in a nano second if one of our regular guys go down.
        But he’d be a big improvement to the bench, too.

47. DJLoo said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Amazing that Swift and Burkett, 20 game winners in 1993, were both gone after 1994…

• Flavor said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:28 pm

maybe, but 20 game winners weren’t so unique then as they are now, right? Maybe I’m just imagining that……..

• Flavor said, on May 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm

even more amazing was that it was pretty much all downhill for both of them after that. Neither came close to having a dominant season ever again. Makes you wonder how much the bullpen and the rest of the team had to do with all those W’s……

48. pawliekokonuts said, on May 4, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Not that surprised, but nevertheless concerned, that Cain is on the DL.

49. pawliekokonuts said, on May 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Tuesday night, which I am pretty sure is Willie Mays’s birthday, I plan on going to Mike C.’s, who is a teacher at my daughter’s HS, to watch the game. Hey, we East Coasters stick together. And yesterday, when I went to see the Syracuse Chiefs trounce the Toledo Mud Hens, 14-3 (correction to those I texted, Manny Burriss did not play for us; coached first), the kid behind the ticket window said, “Go, Giants,” upon seeing me wearing my orange sweatshirt, the one on the cover of “World Serious.” Yup. He is “one of us.” Don’t take these fan connections for granted, girls.

50. pawliekokonuts said, on May 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Pretty bizarre stat that the Giants went 0-7 with RISP and won all three games. (Or maybe RISP as a stat doesn’t tell us much. Well, the argument has been hashed out here before.) And, if I am not mistaken, Pence’s double today was the only hit to drive in a run that was not a homer in the series.

• Macdog said, on May 4, 2014 at 8:07 pm

It certainly helped that the Giants out-homered the Braves 7-0. What’s that they say about Coors, a hitter is in scoring position when he steps into the batter’s box? Maybe that’s the Giants no matter where they’re playing right now.

• James said, on May 4, 2014 at 8:38 pm

It’s not an argument, Pawlie — those who think that the RISP stat means anything are simply incorrect.

51. Flavor said, on May 4, 2014 at 8:02 pm

new thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers