Is Buster Posey Afraid to Play Catcher?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 7, 2014

That might be too brutal of a headline. But what was up with that little left foot sashay out of the way during that botched tag of Marte last night? If you have the ball you are allowed to block the plate. Period. He had the ball. He started to apply sort of a half swipe tag but for some reason is whipping his left leg out of the way. It left him off balance and he missed the chance to tag Marte on the hand or the arm and he was forced to tag him on the chest—after he was safe.

Stand your ground, man.

Now, maybe the coaching staff has told him to NEVER block the plate. And if that’s the case, that’s not really on Buster. Although he could disobey them, he’s an adult and in the moment of that type of action it would be understandable if he reverted back to what he was always taught to do.

It just seems to me that trying not to get hurt is the best way to….get hurt. And it’s also a pretty good way to go about losing a game.

If he is afraid of contact let him learn how to play 3rd base. I bet he could do it and that would solve another problem that no one seems to want to talk about…..

About these ads

1. willedav said, on May 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

Interesting headline, for sure, and of course there is 3b question (Hicks ever played there? just wondering). I think it’s also imp to see right above under *related* where it says bochy tells him not to block the plate. Maybe he just doesn’t want to do it anymore; we’ve all seen plays where he is out of position and tries to make the sweep tag. Maybe that’s how he is being asked to do it. I still think Cs are in limbo, not sure what they can get away with. I’d say just go for it and that proof of blocking the plate illegally would have to be 100% conclusive on replay.

Lacob must realize it’s all on him now. Funny, but I think a part of this relates back to what Chuck said while ago, about when GS lost to Spurs at home when Pop sat his best players and watched Belinelli and Tiago Splitter light Dubs up. How could this happen?

. Lacob at that point says, we’re screwed if we can’t beat them without Parker ginobili and Duncan, because we’ll never beat them to get to NBA finals. In his mind they underperformed all season, lost too many home games to lesser talented teams, and were at a plateau from which they weren’t going to get any better. That’s always been Barkley’s take, that Dubs are fun to watch but aren’t going anywhere in playoffs. I’d say that’s not entirely inaccurate. Whatever internecine sniping went on behind scenes Jax made it evident he wasn’t going to change and lines in the sand were drawn.

I also think there is part of the hockey mentality at work here, where the goalie is pulled to make the team play harder. When a coach is fired, players have to look at themselves and realize it’s on them ultimately.

2. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 7:37 am

To answer the question: no, of course not.
    Posey has been ordered to not block the plate, and that’s fine. I don’t have a problem with it. Posey is very good at the sweep tag (see: “Posey tags out Fielder at homeplate in the World Series.”) So Posey missed a tag yesterday. He rarely misses on those. Blocking the plate isn’t worth it. I don’t have the James-like ability to show numbers, but I think all that “heroic” stuff by fielders usually isn’t worth it in the long run, especially if the fielder is one of the key hitters on the team. It was never worth it for Griffey, Jr., to be getting injured all the time trying to make heroic catches, and taking himself out of the lineup.
    It ended up not being worth it to win the game last year on Pagan’s inside-the-park homerun. The Giants won that battle, but lost the war, when Pagan was lost for months with a bad hamstring.
    Once in a while, you lose a battle in order to win the war. That’s probably in that ancient book “The Art Of War” somewhere. :)

3. wswins said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:01 am

what a horrible way to end a baseball game on a call that clearly in my opinion was not definitive and the ball beats the runner by seconds.And with a new rule that was designed to clearly protect the catcher

to be overturned on an out call is hard to swallow

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:57 am

From at least the angle I saw on replay, he was clearly safe, IMO. Buster tags him on the chest way after his right hand was on the plate…

• wswins said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:47 am

i watch the g’s on strikeout.co i didn’t see it clear enuff to over rule the ump…

4. Alleykat said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:29 am

Bottom line, there was no reason to throw the ball to 3rd on Marte’s hit with 2 outs, get the next hitter out!!

5. Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:41 am

What a suck ass way to lose a game. And Hudson pitched his ass off, and deserved a W. Hey, you win some and you lose some.

And zumie is right…Posey has been instructed to not block the plate. And I am not saying this only because I am a Giant fan, but the rule is that the replay has to be “Conclusive.” I am not certain it was 100% so that the hand touched the plate prior to the tag on the chest. Close play.

Kat – could not agree with you more. I was saying the same damned thing as I was watching the game last night. Giants have been very good at the fundamentals and D of late…bone-headed play there. Throw should have come to the cut-off and hold the runner.

Okay…erase/delete and T it up for a series win today.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:59 am

Adrianza’s throw is what you get from a kid trying to keep himself on the 25. He only gets a rare chance to play. So asking him to use his inexperienced head and not throw in that situation is a tough thing to do. Unfortunately, he botched it…

• Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:30 am

Well, regardless of your position on the team…you’re in the Bigs…you gotta play smart baseball (as it is taught at every level). That was not a smart play. I get it that he could have gotten caught up in the moment, but he needs to learn from this.

6. Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:46 am

Pagan, Posey and Pablo sit for the rubber match…

1. Gregor Blanco (L) CF
    2. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Michael Morse (R) LF
    5. Hector Sanchez (S) C
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Brandon Hicks (R) 2B
    8. Joaquin Arias (R) 3B
    9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

7. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:49 am

Yeah, Flav I thought that when I saw the play. Especially when he moved his leg out of the way. It’s not like Marte was comning in head down and forearms up. He was sliding head-first for God’s sake. I get it though. Not wanting another shot to his lower leg is certainly in his mind. But I also thought they didn’t have enough evidence to overturn the call. Hometown call IMO. Even if the call was made in New York City.

New York City?

Panda and Posey are ouf for today’s game . . .

8. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:04 am

What is it with these getaway games in a roadie series? Bochy almost throws in the towel on a regular basis, taking 3 starters out. Lincecum must figure he’s the guy that gets the short straws now for hitting support. I still don’t get that Posey gets so much time off, day game after night game, blah blah. The guy is getting huge coin, he’s 26, not 36, he’s a friggin MVP player. Is his ankle still an issue? Bochy is apparently going to talk shortly on his pregame show about Posey’s play at the plate last night…

9. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:08 am

Dubs GM Bob Myers (Lacob’s mouthpiece) comes off looking like a fool. He says ‘maybe we need a guy more in tune with the front office.’

Maybe? Maybe you made a stupid, hasty decision as well. Way to put your stamp on the move there, Bob. He then says “When faced with difficult decisions, you have to do what you think is right. … We haven’t screwed it up yet.”

Yeah, It’s hard to lose games in October 2 days after the previous season ended. But you may have lost the players and the fans. Do you really think, especially after hearing how well-liked Jackson was, that they’ll just turn the page? It remains to be seen how this all plays out, but you may have lost Stephen Curry. Lose him and the rest ot the team follows suit.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:43 am

There’s going to be stuff coming out from both “sides” to this in dribs and drabs over the coming weeks, I predict. IMO seems like both sides have dirty hands on dealing with each other. One thing I haven’t seen definitively is the explanation of why that one asst coach was recording private conversations with coaches, apparently including Jackson? He’s fired, but ends up in Boston, Lacob’s old team. That smells, big time, on Lacob and Myers. If he was spying for Lacob, that is BS, not to mention illegal in this state. No mention of the Alameda county DA getting involved, of course…

• sammy said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:48 am

Curry will be fine. He’s a fucking pro. What he sulks and plays poorly now, only hurts his own legacy? BS.

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

Yeah, look how that hurt Melo. Or Garnett. Or the other 100-odd players who have demanded trades. Please.

10. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

Giants are throwing a lineup out there today heavy on B-teamers. Lincecum better bring his A-game.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:36 am

Tim’s pretty much got a B game now as his best…

11. Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

Flav, Chuck, snarkk, Dirt, James, zumie…sent you an email re: the flag football game at the Stick. Pass along to whomever I may have missed.

12. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

Timmy not starting well, sheez. Hanging the two strike pitches again…

13. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

No wonder Mets pitchers don’t have a hit yet this season — they haven’t played the Giants.

14. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

Lincecum is just flat-out awful today. Can’t get out Stewart & Cole, wild pitch, and then single to leadoff Snider for 2 more. Start warming up the bus to the airport.

15. Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:28 am

Cannot get audio to work here at work (issue with Adobe Flash Player)…WTF…4-1 in the 2nd and the way you guys are describing the game, probably better that I miss hearing this one. Not sure they have another rally in them to come back from a big deficit.

16. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

Damn good AB by Sanchez, some 10 pitches and doubles to RF. Gotta make some noise now.

17. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:55 am

And . . . zippo.

18. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:55 am

Once again, situational ABs continue to mystify this team.

19. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:14 am

Belt! Yes! Belt? Noooooooooooooooo!

20. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:18 am

Alright Belt!

Goddammit Belt!

21. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

Well, the pen gets one night off. I guess we should be happy yesterday’s game didn’t go to extras?

22. Bozo said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:45 am

Since coming back, Posey has been out of position for most plays at the plate. Is he afraid or was it an order from up top? I think he was ordered to stay in another zip code. Still, a lot of things went wrong with that play, the throw to third, Hudson backing up late, and his positioning at Home.

Did anyone else think the sequence for the last couple of pitches were odd? Had Posey gotten hit in the head before that last at bat? Because he looked like he was either dazed or at a complete loss on what to call for the last two pitches, The pitch before the triple it looked to me like Posey called for an outside pitch (after staring at the dirt for a long time) but Hudson came inside and jammed Marte. On the next pitch he stared at the dirt then glanced at Marte before again calling for an outside pitch and badda bing, off to the races and replay history.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Agree with Bozo. After his injury, Posey has turned into a second baseman behind the plate on tag plays at home. Swipe and big swoosh tabs with his legs far away from any harm. Management has apparently pussified him on this, he’s too big an investment to risk more injury, so if a runs scores on a tag play, that’s OK, even if the run is going to win the game like last night. There must be a better way, a middle ground, where he could be more aggressive to make tags, but I’m not seeing it. Given his decreed area code defense of the plate, mgmt. should just move him and his swipe tag sooner than later to third base. That option has to be somewhere in management discussions under the Cone of Silence, with Panda’s situation iffy, and Sanchez looking more like a major league hitter. And, sometimes I wonder about the situational pitch calls, too. I’d like to see how the Giants stack up against the NL teams in terms of giving up 0-2 and 1-2 hits…

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

If Pablo continues his ways, I can stomache Posey’s numbers at 3rd rather than the black hole of nothingness Pqablo’s providing.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Given present course and speed, this team would be better with Posey at third and Sanchez catching. Panda got a hit today, I think, but he’s been near useless at the plate through the first 1/5 of the season. I would sit him for a few days, let him think about it — whatever “it” is…

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Just switch them. Let Panda strap em on again.

I think Posey could be an alright Third baseman, I think Bochy even talked about it a couple of years ago. One problem is we don’t have a JT Snow/Will Clark type to give third base lesson, Jimmy Davenport and Dunston ain’t gonna cut it. Calling Billy Mueller?

• Chipower9 said, on May 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

Clown – I don’t think the transition for Posey to 3rd base would be too tough. In high school he was a SS and pitcher. His sophmore year at Fla State, he played mostly SS. The dude has a very high baseball IQ, so if Giant management decided to go that direction, I really see no problem.

23. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thing is, Marte was coming in head first. Posey’s very unlikely to get lit up from a guy coming in head first. He leaves his foot there, Marte’s out.

The ESPN wonks were talking about the fact that Posey was blocking the plate. You CAN block with plate with the ball. That hasn’t changed.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Exactly. You have the ball at catcher, you can elect to block the plate. If that was blocking the plate, I must have missed the change in definition of that term…

24. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Damn, there goes something for me to crow about when I play golf with my older brother the Pirates fan on Saturday.

25. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Well, blech. At least the Gyros got one of the three. Pirates have been dogmeat so far, but as usual, for some reason, SF just has a tough tough time dealing with Pittsburgh at PNC. Lincecum now is just an on/off guy, same as Voggy. Today, he had no clue where the ball was going out of the gate. 4 innings for a start is just not good enough…

26. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I think the Pirates were still at Forbes the last time the Giants won a series in Pittsburgh.

27. Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Yep…no chance for back-to-back quality starts from Timmy…and no series win. Vogey on the bump to open the series at the Latrine tomorrow. Nicole best be cooking up a huge platter of those famous enchiladas, and getting him ready to go.

28. Bozo said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

On to LA for four, hopefully the Dodgers get delayed in DC. Hey GH, get over to the stadium and waylay the bastards.

29. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Belt got all 3 RBIs today. And, botched baserunning getting thrown out trying to take third on his double with Morse coming up. Boch better sit him tomorrow night. Radio says league is hitting over .400 against Lincecum on 0-2 counts. Wow. In the “post-game” wrap even Kruk is ripping Lincecum for his stuff and control. This is who he is now, I don’t know what they can do, unless try again throwing out of the stretch all the time…

30. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Kuip with a mouthful of popcorn during “the wrap”. WTF?…

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm

It’s his passive/aggressive message that he doesn’t like having to do the wrap.
      The only part of it that bugs me is that Flemming is in charge of the wrap, and Flemming is doing his best to do something with it, and Kuiper doesn’t help in that regard.

31. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm

In 3 years, Posey’s swipe-tagging style cost the Giants one game. I think the Giants will take that trade-off.
    But I’m sure if the Giants miss the playoffs by one game, it’ll get brought back up. It’ll be like Merkle’s Boner to some fans.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Well, one glaring one game loss. He’s done it plenty of other times where runs have scored mid game. I get protecting his ass and the investment. But, when the runner will score the walk off run, IMO the area code swipe tag defense has to get a little tighter…

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Plenty of other times where runs have scored? I’m just not agreeing with you there, Snarkk.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I think it happened already this season in Diego, a run scored on a swoosh tag, didn’t it?

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I mean runs that specifically only scored because Posey wasn’t close enough to the plate.

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I have to admit, I don’t remember the San Diego run. :)

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Now we’re slicing hairs. I’ll let James find the stats on how many tag plays at home we’ve lost/won since Posey came back from the injury. Zum, my point is that I agree with you there’s no need for Posey to put himself at risk unnecessarily. But, there comes a time when you need to do more than swoosh, and last night with the winning run at issue, you need to do more. No way to prove it, but I would bet Hector would have played that play tougher. IMO. That’s why they let Hector catch Lincecum — they don’t much care if he gets beat up behind the dish…

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm

With the new rule and three years of practice, Posey should be the best damn sweep/lunge tag catcher out there. Sorry Zum, I just couldn’t stop myself. :)

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Practice makes perfect. :)

32. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Blanco will always be a part of what happened in 2012, but….he seems done now. The Giants’ bench is so weak, they have to make some changes. It couldn’t hurt to just make some bench changes willy-nilly. How could it possibly hurt?

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

It couldn’t hurt. The collective bench is hitting so far below the Mendoza line, now it’s just the doza line…

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Agreed Z. When they picked up Morse, I thought our bench looked better than last year. So far I’m wrong on that (add it to the list). I’ve been rooting for Gregor since the get go, but having him and Perez on the bench is kinda duplicating one position with two players,

33. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Arias (.146), Blanco (.111) and Hicks (.203) went 0-7 today. Adrianza (.200) and Perez (1/17 = .059). Somebody, anybody needs to be brought up to strengthen this bench. Friggin’ give Murph a mop handle and he’ll hit .150…

34. Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I agree the bench is WEAK. But I can almost guarantee you that they will not make a change. Unless it is because of injury, I will be very surprised if anything happens between now and when rosters expand.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Why not, Chi? The entire bench other than Hector is pretty close to an automatic out. Do you think we can get into the playoffs with that?…

• Chipower9 said, on May 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Well, we got to almost the quarter mark of the season with that bench, and have flirted with the best record in baseball…all why a couple of key players who were expected to perform, have not. I just don’t see any of the options at Fresno being any better…

35. Alleykat said, on May 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Easily the worse hitting bench in baseball,Bar None(William Floyd)

36. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Maybe I’m becaming more SABR-istic all the time. I’m starting to think WWJS. What Would James Say? I’m guessing James would say it’s a 4-2 roadtrip so far, and many of us were talking about being pleased with a 5-5 roadtrip, so we’re ahead of pace on that so far. :)
    This Dodger series coming up should be pretty interesting.

37. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Our bench is so bad, I looked up info about Nate the Great, to see his situation with the Cubs. He’s on a 1 year/5 million contract. He’s currently batting .188. He might be available for a song this season at some point.

38. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Hopefully Panik keeps making a case for himself. Currently: .333 Avg., .393 OBP, .804 OPS.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I’ve heard Doug Greenwald say that Panik is real battler in his ABs — looks like it with the OBP number, tho it could be even higher with that high of a BA. I’d say bring him up mid season only if the bench is still a disaster. He needs at least a half season at AAA, I would not want to bring him up to have his confidence immediately crater as a utility guy getting random ABs, assuming he wouldn’t displace Hicks to start. In fact, if he came up, it should only be to start, no sense missing AAA at bats for nothing. But, can he hit better than .200 in the bigs? I would hope so, he should be better than Crawford when they brought him up from Single A…

39. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2014 at 3:44 pm

The bench conundrum should apply to Pablo at this point. As in would Arias do any worse starting on a regular basis for a bit? I can’t see how.

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 4:49 pm

As for “Let Pablo Eat,” those Pittsburgh cheese-steak sandwiches were oh so close by…..

40. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Well, Abreu is .292/.348/.434 in Fresno. Maybe he and Perez pass each other on the 5 soon.

41. snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I wonder how bad this SF bench really is. There’s probably some website out there with team bench stats. Could it be that the Giants bench, compared to other squads’ benches, is really NOT that bad at the plate?…

42. Macdog said, on May 7, 2014 at 7:04 pm

The bench guys should have the Mendoza Line as an incentive clause.

43. Brun H said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Lincecum and Pablo are bigger concerns than the bench.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Good post!

• Chipower9 said, on May 8, 2014 at 9:39 am

Excellent point. And I would add Pence’s lack of power qualifies, too.

44. willedav said, on May 7, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Fresno numbers have to be digested with large grain of salt. All the guys we’ve seen before, like Velez Pill Kiesch et al lit up the PCL only to flounder at mlb level. Same thing happens to A’s guys tear it up at Sac.

I’ve said all along if Sabes is unhappy with how 2b plays out he would go get a proven vet guy off another team. I’d guess Hicks gets another month; hey somebody has to hit 8th, and he does have some pop when he actually makes contact.

And I’d say Brun H 8:08 is right.

• Chipower9 said, on May 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

It’s not like Hicks is a grizzled vet holding down 2B. He has all of 81 big league ABs (this including the ABs he has with the Giants this year). Most everyone talks about a player needing around 500 ABs in the bigs before you can really get a feel for who they are going to be at the plate. Hicks is a non-issue right now. There are bigger fish to fry, and it isn’t like there are better options in the minors, and I just don’t see a trade for a second baseman at this point. Hicks loses the job only if he fully pisses all over himself.

45. paulinasia said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Steve, how about once again some reassuring words in your infinite wisdom about the tied-for-first-place Rockies of why they will not be a concern in the division… :-) We expect inflated win totals at home for them, but they’re actually .500 on the road, holding their own…. And WTF is up with AZ so far having won only 3 games at home.. yikes…

• SanDawg said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Great post. 3-15 at home! Yikes is right!! I too look forward to Blade reassuring us that the Rockies totally suck. I get a little concerned when their “great field-no hit” 3rd baseman snaps off a 27 game (and counting?) hitting streak.

• paulinasia said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

And what’s odd about AZ is they’re above .500 on the road. Guess they didn’t do a very good job of building that team for their home park, huh…..

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Paul, SanDawg – I wont say too much, except check their record out last season right about this same time . . . They were outstanding then as well. Arenado is for real (kid always was a phenom in the minors and ironically, many people expected him to arrive one year sooner then last season).

Dawg, I will try to look for the article about Uggla I read recently, but the gist of what was written is that you could put a fork in him. His bat has slowed down significantly and he can’t catch up with the fastball anymore. It was a real negative article about him, with all sorts of SABER stats to back it up. Me? Yeah, give him a shot here if he’s released. Wouldn’t hurt.

• SanDawg said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Fair enough. What’s your take on Charlie Blackmon? Is he the real deal and does he play every day? And yes, as a matter of fact, I did get roped into helping my son with his fantasy team and we do have Blackmon on our roster.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Blackmon is thriving in Denver and unlike Colabello with the Twins, he is showing “staying power.” In short, I wish he was on any of my FL teams. Side note Dawg, all the position players will continue to hit (especially in Denver . . . Still notorious for their road splits), but I doubt the same can be said for their pitching. Also, their bullpen is showing cracks (Brothers with at least 4 blown saves).

• SanDawg said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:55 pm

We have Hawkins too. We needed a closer and there were few options. Its ironic, as I couldn’t stand him when he was on the Giants. He’s actually picked up a few saves for us. I’ve even taken a look at LeMahieu (we’re pretty hurting in the talent department). I love the fact that he is something like 6′ 5″ and plays 2nd place—plus I think he has a cool name and he went to LSU—which I dig. I’m not afraid to look beyond the numbers when trolling the waiver wire!!

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, 2nd base is void of many good MLB players and very difficult to fill in FL. In short, you’re not the lone ranger. I like LeMahieu and the other guy who occasionally fills in (name escapes me, but he looks like Leonardo Dicapprio).

46. SanDawg said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:26 pm

What about taking a flyer on Dan Uggla if the Braves cut him loose? I know he is basically the more established version of Brandon Hicks, but still…..he’s Dan Uggla. If they waive him, I’d be down with bringing him in. The pickings are slim–it ain’t like Rod Carew in his prime is hanging out on the street looking for a gig. Maybe a change of scenery helps him keep his average in the .240 range—and isn’t he the kind of dead pull righty that does ok at ATT?

• paulinasia said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I would do that. Um, I haven’t heard anything, but is there talk about why the Braves would waive him? Even if they did, wonder if other teams “ahead of” (meaning, behind) the Giants would grab him first…

• SanDawg said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:47 pm

He’s been struggling big time for a couple seasons now,and there are some articles out there that the Braves are losing patience. Might be another Francouer type deal where he just lost it earlier than expected. I’d still bring him in for a look.

• Chipower9 said, on May 8, 2014 at 9:49 am

I agree, Paul. I think a number of teams with worse records than the Giants would take a flyer on Uggla if he was released.

47. DJLoo said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Possibly the worst I’ve ever seen Tim look. Lousy stuff, terrible body language, and ridiculous moustache.

• SanDawg said, on May 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm

The body language and the ‘stache don’t concern me, but the stuff is a problem.

48. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2014 at 10:05 pm

‘Nite all :-)

49. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Of all the sports, the NBA has the scariest-looking commissioner. The guy looks like he’d have Dustin Hoffman strapped in a chair, drilling his teeth without novocaine, demanding to know “What’s the frequency, Kenneth?!”

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Is it safe?…

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Ah, that’s the line. I couldn’t remember it. :)

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Good movie. You had to buy into Larry Olivier as an ex-Nazi Mengele type, but he gave a good try at a German accent…

• zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I’ve heard the novel it’s based on is real good, too, although I haven’t read it.

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Remembering the cavity torture seen isn’t the best thing before going to bed, but here I go. Gnite!…

50. zumiee said, on May 7, 2014 at 11:25 pm

The coolest-looking player in the NBA is Kevin Durant. He looks like, after the game, he’ll be reading from his collection of Beat poetry at a local independent bookstore/coffee shop/jazz music venue.

• willedav said, on May 8, 2014 at 7:02 am

Reminds me of Bob McAdoo, another 6-9 guy with great outside J who led league in scoring a few times.

51. Alleykat said, on May 8, 2014 at 7:14 am

Coming out with a sequel to “Sleepless in Seattle”
    It’s called “Benchless in San Francisco”

52. James said, on May 8, 2014 at 7:30 am

It’s not easy to get comparative bench numbers. Statistical filters usually feature minimum PAs, not max. One snapshot is this starter vs. sub split:

It’s not perfect, since bench players start, and, in the case of the Giants, they have taken 12% of the total PAs for the team. In other words, in absolute terms, your bench does matter, kinda like your bullpen. But as you can see from the sub stats, they also seem to pretty much suck across the board.

• James said, on May 8, 2014 at 8:01 am

To make it more concrete, the difference between a good bench and a bad one is like having a 9th full time position player on your roster, one who has a 650 OPS versus one at 550.

In theory, with the DH, you could put a guy like Ben Zobrist on your bench, play him somewhere different every day, and supplement him with a single back up catcher. You could then live out Bochy’s secret dream of a 9 man bullpen.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 9:58 am

My reading of that stat is so far this season, NL starters vs. subs (best we can do for bench) batting avg is .251 starters vs. .202 subs; with OPS of .706 vs. .596. Giants bench (Perez, Arias, Adrianza, Blanco, Hector) total averages are far worse than the league subs’ numbers (SF bench BA = .154, OPS = .421). If this comparison has some validity, and the bench reps about 12% of the team’s PAs over a season, then that’s not good going forward. It suggests the Giants need bench improvement alternatives. Perez just has to go, for a start. You can’t have a bench guy hitting .059, regardless of his D. Might as well just PH Bumgarner instead…

53. James said, on May 8, 2014 at 8:39 am

I forgot where I read this, but someone once did an analysis of the range of PAs good players can be expected to suck in a single season. I think Pablo has reached the upper threshold of a typical cold streak.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:15 am

Cold? .174 BA and .252 OBP after 115 ABs for a starter is an ice age. Whatever food his chef brother is feeding him, it’s got no hits in it…

54. Nipper said, on May 8, 2014 at 8:45 am

Imperfection is the new normal. Only the robots are perfect.

55. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2014 at 9:02 am

Stand Your Ground? Is that law even on the books in PA? Posey doesn’t strike me as the CCW type.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:05 am

Huh? What’d i miss?

BTW, had a blast st the game the other day. Great to talking to you.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:07 am

Yeah, I’ve no clue what you’re talking about Dirt — the play at the plate?…

• James said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:19 am

“Stand your ground” is referenced in BF’s post.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:16 am

It’s a play on the lead where Posey should stand his ground. Think George Zimmerman, FL stand your ground laws.

haha, sorry fellas. Probably not the best comment.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:25 am

I got it. I thought it was a play on the Posey left leg lift, but sheez, I was wondering if Posey was caught carrying in Pittsburgh or something… ;)

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Hah! Thought the same thing. Buster’s in the clink in PA,.

56. Chipower9 said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:03 am

My copy of “34 Ton Bat” gets delivered today. Based on zumie’s take on it a few weeks back, I am looking forward to the read.

Vogey against Beckett tonight. By the nubmers, advantage Bums. Beckett while winless this year has a 3.14 ERA and damned good WHIP at 1.01. Bumgarner against Maholm tomorrow night. Saturday should be Cain vs. Greinke. I say should be, but the 3 day preview at MLB.com has the Giant starter listed as the infamous TBD. Cain / Grienke should be a great match-up, expecially if Cain is on (and he needs to be going head-to-head with Grienke). Sunday is a classic…Hudson against Kershaw.

Giants split agianst the Bums and they come home 6-4 on this roadie. I’ll take that. Unless they get swept, they come home no worse than .500 for the trip.

BEAT LA!

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:06 am

I’ll believe Cain’s ready when I see/hear him take the mound Saturday. Yeah, I’d take the split and be real happy with this roadie…

57. snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:28 am

I will now call Posey’s approach to home plate tags the Posey Peeing Pose, or PPP. Buster’s lifting of his left leg outta the way of Marte’s slide reminds me of my snarkmutt when I take him on a walk in the park — he’s got that PPP move down cold at almost every tree and bench…

58. Flavor said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

new thread

59. willedav said, on May 8, 2014 at 10:57 am

If bench makes up 12% of PAs, then that would be equal to 1 reg in the LU with a crummy OPS, like your 8th spot hitter. A lot of winning teams have had someone like that, often a light hitting SS that anchored IF defense and played every day. Since Sabes added Morse, that’s shoved Blanco/Perez to the sidelines, a good thing. I think Blanco is better at getting on base than he has shown so far, and Arias can play number of spots on IF if needed. Hector has filled in admirably at times and taken load off Posey.
    Crawford Belt Sando Pence Pagan Morse Posey, these are the guys that are gonna make or break them, and so far results are pretty encouraging for all not named Pablo. I don’t get the angst overall about guys on the end of the bench–Giants farm system is what it is and I’m not firing Sabean over it. There aren’t nearly enough good hitters to go around anywhere, and even the better teams (LA STL to name a couple) have replacement level or worse filling out the roster.
    LA is on their second back up C and sent down the Fed kid, and STL has Mark Ellis starting at 2b after their hot prospect Wong floundered. Getting good outings from the SPs this weekend, now something to worry about.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

I think you improve where and when you can. This bench suxx by any and all objective measures. The thing is, a bench is a bench, it’s not just the equivalent of one dude in the lineup with the aggregate average of all the bench guys. They are all supposed to be role players, at different roles. Outside of Hector, they’re terrible hitters, which really ties your hands when it comes to late game moves and PHing. You really shouldn’t have a situation where two of your starting pitchers are demonstrably better hitters than some of the bench guys…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers