Why Are So Many Arms Breaking Down?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 13, 2014

This is what a typical Little League scoreboard looks like these days (I snapped this photo from the field down the street from my house):

pitchcount

With the news of yet another major leaguer needing TJ surgery (Jose Fernandez of the Marlins) I started wondering (again) about the reasons for this bizarre rash of arm injuries that we have seen this season. Even if you believe it’s caused by something (ie, overworked arms, underworked arms, etc….) it still wouldn’t make any statistical sense that a cavalcade of pitchers would go under the knife all of a sudden in 2014.

I do think it’s funny that “pitch count” gets so much attention. Limiting the number of pitches thrown by a player in a game is probably a good idea. But when you play year round baseball, limiting your pitches doesn’t really do much. Up until 10-15 years ago, kids played baseball about three  months out of the year. Now, in any good weathered state they play year round. The dullest mathematician can figure out that no matter how limiting your pitch count you are still going to end up throwing way more pitches in a season than anyone did up until recently. The wear and tear of each pitch on an elbow and a shoulder probably can’t take that yearly abuse.

But unless this happens again next year I’m inclined to believe that this season of arm injuries is just a statistical anomaly…..

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on May 13, 2014 at 7:06 am

Ban little league and save kids arms. Pitching is dangerous to one’s health. Play soccer instead.

2. Chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:05 am

Soccer is for pussies. Let the kids play ball.

But Flavor does make a good point about kids playing year-round. I believe it on the parents and coaches to monitor the kids. Not only how many pitches they throw, but WHAT they are throwing. I have been out of coaching LL for a long time, but this wasn’t an issue back then. But as years went by, I know kids started throwing curves and other pitches more regularly. I am not a fan of kids throwing specialty pitches at a young age.

Regarding major leaguers…I don’t get it. Hell, back in the 60s pitchers pitched deep into games, regularly throwing 100+ pitches. Anomoly? Who knows…

And actually, I do enjoy watching a good soccer match on occasion. Soccer is like hockey…low scoring, and hence many say the game(s) are boring. I disagree…especially with hockey…it is constant action.

Anyway, what a great game last night. Awesome outing by Timmy. He looked like “Big Time Timmy Jim” again. Granted, one game against a free-swinging team, but WTF, you take the ball when your turn is up, and you do what you can. As snarkk said last night…I will take that outing (from any starter) on any day.

Let’s see if VogelStrong can put together back-to-back quality starts. Stop the chop. Go Giants!

3. Bozo said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:05 am

Has there been a rash of guys throwing the split fingered fastball? I think that got the blame in the late 80s and early 90s.

Maybe the surgery and rehab have become so common place that players just get it done, instead of just resting their arm.

4. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:13 am

Giants Atl seem to play a lot of torture games; this was type of game they dropped last year.

As for TL, I’m with blade–he seems to own the Braves match up wise. Everyone else not so much. His ERA coming in was like 5.50…*lowers* it to 4.78.

I’d say the same thing about Colvin. His other AB he was swinging (and missing) at not only the back foot breaking ball but the high outside stuff too. Nice game, but see what happens. Morse isn’t having very good May either, 7-38 I think with 10 Ks. Seems over anxious.
    As a kid I remember getting baseball card of Mets guy Danny (?) Napoleon, who won a game with late game heroics . Wasn’t long before he was back in minors after being unable to clear Mendoza line.

Dug the Fox column link from wsw on SF being better than numbers/individual parts especially pen guys. I do think Sabes will make deals to shore up bench but I’d hang on to Sanchez. Beyond acquiring replacement level players, it’s up to regs to make it happen until Belt returns, and afterwards as well. Adrianza isn’t going to be replaced by a good player or someone that will make much of a difference.

5. stickman said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:43 am

“Good weather states”. Dude! Bit subjective i would say. Might go with “balmy” or even “usually pleasant”. Agree that consistently warmer weather does make for better baseball conditions and could lead to overuse of pitching arms. Actual seasons do have their qualities as well. I know its a tough argument for born and bred Californians to conceptualize. It’s reality most places, though.

6. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:48 am

Man, talk about tale of 2 cities. Flipped channel over to watch some of A’s game to see the Sox guy Abreu hit, freaking nobody there. I think they listed attendance as 10,000. Abreu and his fellow Cuban dayan viciedo both homered but A’s held them off.
    I can’t stand them or their announcers but it seems every time I watch they win, and they are 24-15 this year. Meanwhile ATT is packed. Kind of sucks if you’re the players that no one will come watch when you are doing so well; A’s have great SPs and can score runs, heat wave in bay area, great nights for baseball.

7. Chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:00 am

Interesting point on the A’s, WillieD. The fans and ownership group bitch and moan about not having a decent yard, yet the fans don’t come out to support their team. Put some asses in the seats!

On the flip-side, I do recall many games when the Giants had fielded a decent team, and The Stick would be the same as the Mausolem (queue crickets chirping audio feed)…

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:19 am

It’s on the ownership that the team doesn’t draw well. They’ve been calling the Masoleum a shit-hole for 12 years now as they try to strangle a new stadium out of Oakland or fight for the right to build in SJ.

It IS a shit-hole. Just like the Stick was. So while the Giants tried stupid ridiculous things to get fans to come to games, the A’s did nothing to get the fans to come. They WANTED them to stop coming to use as some kind of leverage to get their way. The A’s owners gave up long ago on giving a shit about their fans. They routinely get outdrawn by their AAA Rivercats team in Sacto . . .

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:30 am

I’ll give A’s fans credit, the ones who show up all the time. The Coliseum is bad. Really bad. You can handle it if you only watch football games every other weekend for a total of 8 games. But, 81 games there would be ridiculous. I went there last year for a playoff game v. Detroit, and the main lounge area reminded me of a huge, grungy and dingy bowling alley bar…

8. snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:00 am

Most of these guys getting the TJ surgery are young. That means they’ve got old arms, overused arms. Arms that have thown not just a lot of fastballs, but trick pitches that are torquing the elbow since they were 13 and 14, while joints and ligaments still growing and muscles developed that outsize the infrastructure. Maybe they’re also not using their legs as much as they should, too. Fernandez is Cuban, he’s probably been throwing since he could walk in some sort of organized way. There’s now a whole baseball subculture of club teams and travel teams that essentially play and practice year round, instead of the paradigm when I was a kid of playing different sports at school based on the seasons. Things are moving towards if you play on the high school team and not a club team, you’re considered not very good. This won’t change IMO, the year round practicing and conditioning is viewed as the way to make it to the pros and/or get scholarships. I doubt if Tom Seaver played baseball year round when he was a kid, and there was no such thing as a club team back then. He pitched from 236 to 290 innings per year 1967 to 1977, in all he had 4783 innings in 20 seasons, = avg 239 innings per season. Never had any arm surgery…

• Chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:10 am

And Seaver is just one of many like this from back in the day…

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:16 am

You’re correct Tom about Seaver not having arm surgery, albeit, he had problems with his shoulder . . .

From SI:

“I had had a tender shoulder in 1973,” he said, “so I went to spring training last year with the idea that I was not going to hurt my arm. I didn’t push myself throwing. I felt it would all be there when I needed it. When the season opened, I tried to throw hard and nothing happened. Then I tried to compensate by overstriding. The constant pounding, the strain, put my pelvic structure out of balance. The muscles in my back were pulling down. There was pain in my hip.” He pressed a fork down on the table for emphasis. “My mechanics were all wrong. I couldn’t get far enough out of my problem to look at it. I was scared. Throwing off balance like that, I could have easily hurt my arm.”

He consulted Dr. Kenneth Riland, an osteopath who includes among his patients Vice-President Rockefeller. “I didn’t believe that something like that could be cured overnight,” Seaver continued. “But Dr. Riland just said, ‘Your pelvic structure is out of balance,’ and he began yanking here and pulling there. Suddenly the pain was gone. My last game of the season I struck out 14.”

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:22 am

Vice President Rockefeller? Shit, I totally forgot about that. . .

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:23 am

Seaver pitched with very strong leg drive. I think that helped take pressure off the shoulder and arm. I’m sure today’s pitchers work on their legs and run, but I wonder if pitching has evolved in the past 40 years to be more dependent on arm and forearm motion with all these specialty pitches, and not so much in the legs. In the old days they had pretty much the pitches they do now, but I don’t think they used them that often. Fastball and curve was the one two combo, then gradually the slider came in use, some used the reverse curve or screwgie, but not much. I think these forkball, split, hard slider and cutters did not come into popular use until the late 70s, and in the last 20 years have really been a focus in the steroid era, as pitchers tried to make hitters miss rather than just get them out…

9. snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:27 am

I wouldn’t discount the use of PEDs in all this arm problem stuff. Obviously nobody really knows who is using and who isn’t, but HGH and these other PEDs help muscles recover faster, so they can be overused. With all the money out there in MLB, kids are probably doing PEDs in college and the minors to get a leg up, even though the minors have testing programs. As far as I know, PEDs don’t strengthen ligaments and elbow joints…

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:25 am

Yeah, it’s the opposite. Muscles grow too fast for the ligaments to keep up, and you tear them.

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 am

Chuck, you know football. Why do these lineman and LBs get bicep and tricep and pectoral tears where the muscle or tendon insertion has to be basically stapled back onto the bones? Hmmmm…

• gianthead said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm

ala Barry Bonds in 1999????

10. blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:53 am

Hey all,

I sent out an email yesterday to a few of you (I need to get a Flapper email group), but left most of you off the message . . . I am going to the game tomorrow to escape the heat primarily, but also to see Bum pitch (1st time for me). I know Craig, Chi, and Micah can’t make it, but Snarkk and I are down thus far . . . Anyone else who would like to go, let us know. Snarkk is checking into Stubhub tickets as we speak and we’ll touch base this evening, insofar as purchasing what we need. Example – 4 tickets . . . you show up and pay cash tomorrow to ensure that Snarkk and I aren’t “holding the proverbial bag.”

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

By the by, next week the San Jose Giants are in town (Stockton on the 20th, 21st, and 22nd; then Visalia 23rd, 24th, 25th, and 26th). I am going to hit one or more of those games as well. Again, anyone interested in going, give me a shout. :-)

• Chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 am

I have never seen the SJ Giants, and never been to the Stockton yard (might need to pack some heat). I may be down with one of these games. Let me know if there is a specific game you have in mind.

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:09 am

Chi, not certain I was clear – all of the games are IN San Jose, not Stockton. Yeah, no shit – packing some heat would be a wise decision. :-)

Yes, I will let you know about which game.

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:00 am

Almost forgot – the game tomorrow is one of those “business man” specials and starts at 12:45pm.

11. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:37 am

Fortunately the heat wave around these parts is mitigated by the re-appearance of cut off denim shorts. Yeow, scenery downtown at work is much improved.

• Chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:42 am

It’s an American classic…love the cut-off shorts. As American as Apple Pie and the San Francisco Giants.

I’m heading out on the trail behind work for a walk…this warm weather seems to open the flood gates for all sorts of good looking women on the trail…

12. Bozo said, on May 13, 2014 at 12:12 pm

By the way, a honk of the clown horn to Big Flavor for snapping a photo of the neighborhood LL scoreboard and turning into today’s thread. I’m in awe.

13. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, you throwin in winter ball, and instructional leagues and the like, and a lot of these pitchers are throwing all the time. At least until they reach the bigs. Down time would seem to be needed.

In the case of the old days, these guys went back to regular jobs and did nothing pitching-related for 6 months. Were they stronger for it? Could be.

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm

As I’ve mentioned before, the ankle break was a bad deal for Hudson. But, his arm was rested for an entire second half of the season. That’s gotta be good for this season…

14. zumiee said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

My wife and I will be at the game tomorrow; we already have our tickets, we’re with a small group that we go with once in a while, so I don’t know my chances of seeing Flappers tomorrow, but I’d like to at least say howdy, if it’s doable. Our tickets are on the Club Level somewhere; I don’t remember where, and I don’t have the tickets with me at the moment.

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:35 pm

zum, sent you an email….

15. zumiee said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

As for Stockton, the ballpark itself is beautiful. You’d have trouble finding a better Single A ballpark in the nation, I would think. That’s the irony, the A’s minor league teams have wonderful ballparks, and their major league team plays in a big dump.

Blade, I wouldn’t be able to make it to those SJ Giants homegames, at the moment. That week’s really packed for me. But I’ll see what I can do.
    I’ve never been to that ballpark, and would like to check it out; and of course, it’s always cool to see one of the Flappers!

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:11 pm

It sounds like snarkk and I are going to the game tomorrow, so we will be certain to say hello to you and yours . . . my email is blade3colorado@yahoo.com (give me your cell phone number or vice versa . . . unless you’ve already exchanged that info with snarkk. In which case, I can get it from him).

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Like Willie said, the SJ park is a great experience. They have a barbecue area, where many fans eat dinner (protected from the weather – heat or rain), then the in game experience is unbelievable, e.g., you are right on top of the action and between every inning they have a contest or some sort of family oriented activity. A very fun and enjoyable way to watch baseball.

16. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm

SJ park is cool, food is great. It’s in the hood a bit, but safe to park and see a game.

According to cbs site, Stan Van Gundy is deciding btw full control of Pistons or coaching golden state.
    Um, let’s see…the Pistons suck, you get to live in Detroit and spend winter traveling through Midwest and east with zero chance of taking down LeBron, or live in bay area play in west and coach Warriors. You really gotta think about that, you’re the wrong guy.

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Totally agree. So, he’ll probably go with the Pistons…

• gianthead said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Stan Van Gundy is competentbut I am not in love with any option that was not Mark Jackson…

• gianthead said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

In the hood???? It was just down the road from campus and our fraternity at SJSU!!!

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

It’s right near Sleepy Hollow. Not exactly the ‘hood.

17. gianthead said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Here is my LL coaching story for the year. My best kid is only 8 and I am coaching in Little League AAA division. The league tells us the 8 year olds can only pitch 50 pitches and all pitchers are limited to 3 innings. And they tell us the local rules are in effect. All of my other kids are older and have a higher pitch count, but all are very mediocre in the pitching department.

So in order to maximize my best arm, I throw him in a game as a starter recently and he goes two innings, throws about 30 pitches and we have a 5-0 lead. One of my lesser pitchers comes in and throws gas on the fire and gives up two runs and loads the bases. So I go out to to yank him and then bring my starter back to finish off his max pitch and innings and put out the fire.

Well the other coach says I cant do that and once you yank a pitcher, then he cant be replaced according to the international little league rules. Mind you, my oldest (now 14) played Babe Ruth and their coaches were able to use pitchers as much as they wanted in a game with no innings and no pitch limit. I believe if they did exceed a certian amount of pitches then there was a mandatory sit period of 2-3 days before they could pitch again.

So the ump rules in the other coaches favor, which of course I protest harking back to the league instruction that the local rules apply. So I end up losing the protest based on the frickin international rules.

But what is the purpose at this age when a kid has only thrown 30 pitches not to allow them to come back into a game. Any bs about arm injuries would be just that…bs. But as I found with youth sports, the decks are still stacked in certain teams favor. We are in AAA and held a draft to make sure there was “competitive balance.” Then I find out after the draft that there are AAA teams being held over for a second year and those kids are not eligible for the draft. And guess what, these kids are all about 10-11 years old and twice the size of my own 8 year old. C’est lavie…

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Yeah, my son played up til minors in a city league, and it was uncanny how the commissioner who ran the league (my neighbor) always had the pick of the good kids. He and his buddy always got stacked teams, the best fields, and the most convenient start times. Meanwhile, our team was playing at 8:30 pm on friday on the far side of town.

His buddy (my neighbor as well) was the one who stalled a game unmercifully (2 visits to the mound, and then 2 pitching changes and 20 warmup tosses between the 2 of them) until the time limit was reached. Since we took the lead in the top of the inning, the score reverted back to the last complete inning and we lost. Our normally laid back coach got pretty heated arguing with the ump, but they gave the game to the other team. The thing is, the umps should have either sped the game up or let it finish as we were the last game of the day anyway. Since this seeded the playoff schedule, we lost out.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 13, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Sounds like Flavor’s fantasy league :o

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hah!

18. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 2:53 pm

For every Seaver, Perry, etc that pitched thousands and thousand of innings there were dozens of guys who were washed up at 30 with “sore arms”.

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Good point Loo. Back then they didn’t have technical names for arm and shoulder problems. Moreover, surgery wasn’t an option back then. Same deal with knee problems (see Mantle).

19. Chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Marco who? This seems so long ago.

2010…2012…and again in 2014???

• zumiee said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:50 pm

It seems kind of surreal when I see Baggarly or somebody reporting on Scutaro’s progress or lack thereof. I’m believing that we’ll probably never see Scutaro on the diamond again. I’ll be shocked if we do.
      He’ll always be a huge hero for 2012. So I guess the contract can just be seen as a big thank you for 2012, and I don’t have a problem with that. Scutaro will keep going to his therapy sessions for the next year and a half, and will get paid.

• zumiee said, on May 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I could see him making a token appearance for a few games in September, that kind of thing, now that I think of it. Depending on the situation with the standings.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

it’s very easy for me to fondly bid adieu to Scoots for 2 reasons: 1) he was an integral cog in 2012 and 2) I think Hicks might be a better overall player for us considering his power and his arm…..

20. Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Gotta think the ball is gonna be flying out of the park tonight in both SF and Oakland. LA too. It’s hot as fuck right now.

21. blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I rarely get to see the pre-game show due to living in Colorado . . . A rare treat. That being said, I want to shoot someone named Ann Killion who has no clue (and I have no clue who she is????). Must be someone though, because she is on TV being asked her opinion.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm

What did she say? I’ve never liked her but never felt the urge to shoot her, lol

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Well, at the risk of being reported to the authorities, I meant “figuratively.” :-)

She said the Dodgers are the team to beat and some other dumb shit (but my eyes started to glaze over everytime she opened her pie hole).

22. Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Donald Sterling is worth 2 billion dollars. Isn’t he paying someone to advise him? How could no one on his payroll NOT stop him from doing that CNN interview? He just needs to go away, go live in a retirement community or something. No more interviews, no more contact with the outside world. Die already.

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

His advisor is the one that leaked the tape. The chick he was dating.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:28 pm

He’s worth 2 billion. He’s got an army of lawyers. Come on, Chuck

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

She was the one in charge of archiving him.

• blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Does “archiving him” mean the same thing as “blowing him?” Just wondering. :-)

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2014 at 4:03 am

i was talking about the interview he gave to cnn

23. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Hey. I worked within 5 minutes of SJ park for 15 yrs…right down the street east on Story Road. Cops used to do drug raids over on 12th St,. apts and amass 50 cars in our parking lot. Most of the problem children were a little further away off Story or out by Tully road/old fairgrounds. Park is way cool tho as Snarkk confirms.
    That said, there was a killer burrito place nearby on Keyes, Stadium club liquors. they cashed payroll checks so their were bars on the windows, but man food was so good my fellow driver asked the abuela who cooked to marry him all the time.
    Also big Viet shopping mall and a bunch of coffee shops as you get closer to 101, one of which got shot up one afternoon by local thugs. If you have never been in one, the servers outfits do not leave much to imagination. Coffee is very strong and the gals are, well, hotter than the brew.

• SanDawg said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I got your back on SJ park being not far from some rough areas Willie.
      Some other random takes related to today’s posts, or not:
      -Totally agree w Flav on Donald Sterling. I actually thought he was playing it smart keeping his mouth shut and staying out of sight, and expected him to smartly fight this whole deal and maybe even come out relatively unscathed. After that interview, I think he’s screwed.
      -I think Stan Van Gundy would be a good get for the Warriors. I think he is a good coach.
      -Hot as heck down here too. Went to the beach after work and ended up spending an hour in the water. 65 degrees and totally comfortable afterward at 630 pm. Good stuff.
      -I think some of you have been a bit hard on Vin Scully on here. I stumbled onto the Dogger feed out of LA on the way home from the beach and I thought he sounded as great as always.
      -Don’t even get me started on stacked Little League teams. I’ve been there.
      -I’m not a huge Trader Joe’s fan, I generally stay away from frozen food and battered foodstuffs, BUT I did buy some frozen lightly battered frozen halibut from TJ’s the other day on an impulse buy and I gotta say they were pretty damn good.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I’ll take that Halibut referral to the bank. Thanks

• DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Who will it be on Metallica night?

• Bozo said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Dawg, I think I’m the one thats been the toughest on Scully. For me, maybe listening to him on the radio but sorry, I really can’t stand the guy while watching the game anymore. Dude, I don’t like Amy G either, so I’m in the minority on a lot of broadcast personalities.

24. SanDawg said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Cue the Buster-as-a-catcher bashing……

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Is it unfounded? That was the biggest pussy tag attempt I have ever seen by a major league catcher. Again, if he’s going to play the position like a pussy, get someone else who isn’t going to do that. Let him play third where contact is minimal….

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

and he fucking pussed out against his high school arch nemesis. Jesus, if you’re going to compete against ONE GUY in the league, it should be Heyward.
        I still can’t believe that half assed pussy effort from a former MVP winner.
        Pathetic.

• SanDawg said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Not unfounded. I thought you guys were a little hard on him the other day, but this one was horrid.

25. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Obviously, a terrible job by Buster…downright embarrassing.

• James said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

The swipester may need to refine his technique. It’s just a continuous game of cat and mouse, constant adjustments.

• SanDawg said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Hey–were you at the game where Bum was screaming at Puig? Details please if you were.

26. Manny said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Fucking guy needs to get some aggression in him, If Hector did that Kruk/Kuip would be all over his ass. He needs his ass bashed about that play.

27. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Christ, Pee Wee Herman would’ve nailed him…

28. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

As bad as the tag was, he should have acted like he made the tag. Don’t stand there like you fucked up the play. If you act like you tagged him, you might get the reversal.

• chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Agree, Charlie.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:48 pm

disagree. He knew he pussied the play. And he finished it off with his tail between his legs. It would have been worse if he had pussied the play, ranted around and then had video evidence to confirm his vagina play. No reason to lose a challenge because he rants his way into Bochy challenging it.

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Well, I don;t agree. You walk away like you missed the play, you think they are going to reverse it? Fuck no.

They would have checked anyway. As they did. And he might have gotten the call.

• chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I disagree…only chance they have of overturning the play is if Posey makes a fuss…all good, we can agree to disagree…

• mannyman46 said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

100 per cent agree with you, Chuck.

29. Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I have never seen that. Maybe in Little League. Buster Posey checked out on that play and that was just embarrassing….

• James said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Where is the credit for Heyward, I ask you?!

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

yes. Sorry. He was out by a mile and gave it a typical little league effort that you see in any typical little league game by turning a country mile at the last second. And then for some reason Buster acted like a girl in tee ball. It was like he was afraid to tag him. I’ve never seen that in a major league game……

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:01 pm

For running through the invisible tag?

• James said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Irony was once unfashionable. I want to help bring it back, Chuck :-)

30. blade3colorado said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

That guy at the kiddie ball park seemed to want to be anywhere, except there.

31. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Time to get out of this damned jam and score some fricking runs! Get that boy an enchilada or two!

32. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm

These runs are on Buster.

33. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Bullpen, please! Get the fucking hook, now!

34. SanDawg said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Vogy ain’t getting much help out there.

• James said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:59 pm

SanDawg, I was out of pocket over the weekend, so no timely details on the Friday night game. I did post a couple of quick one liners yesterday, including my note about how the LA fans seemed oblivious to Bumgarner after he barked at Puig. It’s a fucking weird dichotomy, the majority of fans who really do enjoy those beach balls and The Wave, and the drunken tattooed Whittier Blvd bangers.

35. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I would’ve thought nailing the 2 guys the other day would’ve given him a little confidence.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 8:55 pm

maybe he’s got some weird shit going on personally. Puig shit. Anyway, that was just a joke. An embarrassment. Posey doesn’t get rope because he’s won an MVP and makes coin. You tag a fucking guy when he’s 6 feet in front of you and closing in. You just tag him. Anyone can do that…

36. Flavor said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

John Shea ‏@JohnSheaHey 16m
    Heyward slides under Posey’s high tag. No argument from Posey. Bochy wanted it reviewed. And so it was. Final ruling: Safe. Took 35 seconds

37. unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:03 pm

See if Posey can redeem himself a little.

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm

OK, Buster Pussy. Fuck. Watch the strikes, swing at the ball. Channelling Panda.

38. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Maybe the twins kept him up all night.

39. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm

wow unbelievable finish to OKC clips game. Chris Paul with 3 separate f-ups in last 15 seconds Thunder make big comeback to win.

• unca_chuck said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Yeah, I’ve grown to really dislike the Floppers. They whine so much (I know, epidemic in the NBA) and they flop (ditto), but Christ on a bicycle, they are doubly bad at it.

40. James said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Heyward he alights!
    though Buster Pussy never gripes
    as he gently swipes

41. Bozo said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Craw, still picking it.

• James said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm

The All Star game is in sight if he maintains his current production.

42. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Willie – I was bouncing back and forth between the Giants and Thunder, and last saw the score with Thunder down 8, about 5 minutes to play. Switched back right as the game had finished. Damn…what an unreal finish. Thunder UP! Fuck LA.

43. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Well, after the come-back from 6 down in the 6th against the Bucs, I will never count this team out, but dammit…the night isn’t getting any longer. Time to score some damned runs!

44. willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:44 pm

You know if you’re going to play both of them at same time, Giants might be better off with Posey at 1b and Hector behind the plate.

• DJLoo said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Can’t argue with that.

45. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I heard Posey got the nod tonight as Vogey likes throwing to him. I think that (pitcher’s preference) will be the main driver for this in future games…

• willedav said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Makes sense. I just don’t get Hector as being a ml 1b.

OK so the Braves reliever that walked a guy with a 5-0 lead and made the mgr. get Kimbrel to warm up likely owes a fine in kangaroo court. Given the amount of dough a lot of these guys rake in nowadays, what might that be? How many zeroes we talking?

Mom’s day I was thinking about watching games on TV at home as a kid, where KSFO was on dang near all day anyway. My mom used to be real hard on guys making mental mistakes, and I can recall her yelling, “Fine him! I’d fine him 50 bucks!”…which was a lot of money back in the 60s, when gas was 35 cents a gallon and I was pretty happy to make $2 an hour bagging groceries.

46. chipower9 said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Fuck…shutout? Really? Get ‘em tomorrow, Giants. Night Flappers.

47. Bozo said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Get em tomorrow, Giants.

48. snarkk said, on May 13, 2014 at 10:29 pm

I was in a brew pub watching the middle part of the game. When Posey made that matador tag effort, everybody on either side of me at the bar could NOT believe that S. Everybody called it a pussy move. That was just ridiculous, and the game went phtttt after that…

49. zumiee said, on May 13, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Interesting weather for tomorrow. I’ll be wearing shorts at the ballgame. That’s a rarity for me at a Giants game.
    I see Posey got crucified on the blog tonight. It was a big play and he blew it. If he makes the tag, maybe the game plays out differently. But I don’t see it being any kind of insight into Posey’s mindset. I see it more as he got a little lazy on the play. He thought he had an easy tag, he didn’t bend his knees, and he whiffed. Posey’s leg got broken in 2011; it’s not like he’s suddenly flipping out now, 3 years later. He had an MVP, World Series-winning season right after 2011. I don’t remember anyone questioning his manhood during that season. I don’t see how it should be questioned now. In the long run, Posey will be a big factor in the Giants getting to the playoffs this season. He made two great tag outs on Sunday to help them win the game that day.

• DJLoo said, on May 14, 2014 at 4:47 am

Well said, Z.

50. ewisco said, on May 14, 2014 at 6:14 am

at what point are the going to mention that people are WAY outside the baseline? The umps are going to have to call it eventually because hayward was almost in the dugout.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers