When Max Effort Meets Lack of Effort….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 14, 2014

It was only a few threads ago that I asked “Is Buster Posey Afraid to Play Catcher?” It was a harsh title. But watching him jump out of the way of an onrushing Starling Marte I felt it was a normal question to ask.

Somehow, last night’s play at the plate was worse.

Last night was about one thing: lack of effort. Put simply, Jason Heyward tried harder than Buster Posey. That half-assed tag was like a runner failing to hustle to first base. It was like a runner failing to MAKE IT to first base and just peeling off the base line and heading back to the dugout.

After the game, Posey said, “You don’t expect a big guy to be able to move like he did.”

I reject this excuse. Posey has been playing Heyward in baseball since Little League. If anyone knows how athletic Heyward is, it’s Posey.

Another comment: “I thought I was in the right position. You don’t have time to think it happens so fast.”

I summarily reject this claim as well. Maybe he didn’t have time to *think* during the Marte play. That was bang-bang. But when Posey received the ball last night he had time to whip out a pair of binoculars and gingerly focus them on the distant, yet oncoming, Heyward. He had all day to *think*. As Heyward approached, he could have thought about a lot of things. And what he *thought* was that Heyward was just going to give up and run into the tag. Whoops. Heyward kept trying. Buster is the one who quit.

If you want to be a catcher you are going to have to engage in contact from time to time. You might even have to invite it. It’s part of the job. Whether Posey quit on the play (as he did last night) or whether he is now instinctive jumping out of the way (as he did last week) it is simply unacceptable behavior for a major league catcher.

I don’t think Posey will ever play aggressively. But he certainly can be expected to play assertively. He gets paid the most. He is a leader. And he can’t keep playing catcher like this…..

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on May 14, 2014 at 6:10 am

Yeah but…..he’s Buster Posey!

2. willedav said, on May 14, 2014 at 7:01 am

25 yrs ago playing softball I used to try the Heyward move on close play at the plate. go in head first dive, angle body away from the C and grab the edge of plate with left hand. Force the C to bend all the way down to tag your hand, only part of your body he can get to. Usually worked too.
    Second time I saw the replay I counted Heyward taking 3 full strides from when Posey had Pence throw and ball in his glove. Plenty of time to get in front and tag him out. Instead the only touch he tried to make was on his back as Heyward went around him to score.
    I think he just misjudged where Heyward was going and allowed him to get around him and hit the plate. But ball was there in plenty of time and you gotta make that play by any means necessary.

3. Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 7:42 am

It was a weak play. Posey certainly needs to put more effort into applying a tag in that situation, and in similar situations. The flip-side is, as you mentioned Craig, he is the highest paid player on the club. He’s the franchise, and you protect your interests. It is a fine line (being agressive on those plays at the plate vs. ensuring you do not get hurt), and I think a much more fine line than that you portray. It very well could have been a misjudgement. We don’t know. We will never know. I know one thing, while I would like to see a bit more effort on applying a tag in that situation, no way in hell I want the guy blocking the plate. He is too big a piece of this club to lose over one run.

Time to shake it off and

• SanDawg said, on May 14, 2014 at 7:51 am

Totally agree

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

Time to shake it off and move on…with the focus on today’s game and winning the series. How about scoring some fucking runs today…

4. SanDawg said, on May 14, 2014 at 7:49 am

It was a bad play and he deserves to catch shit for it. Do I think it was absolutely awful and we should start calling him a pussy and lobbying for a position move? Absolutely not. Maybe he is shying away from contact a bit and I have no problem with that whatsoever. I don’t care if Buster went to kindergarten with Heyward. Heyward’s a big ass dude and I don’t blame him for avoiding a collision with him in the 40th game of the season. Buster IS kind of a key player for us. I’m in no hurry to relive the Whiteside/Chris Stewart nightmare. I know we have Hector now and I’m as high on Hector as anyone, but I have serious concerns about him catching the majority of our games. His asset is his bat, not his glove.
    Buster made a shitty play. Go ahead and call him out on it. But lets not turn this into some big issue that must be addressed.

• unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 7:57 am

Until it happens again. . .

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:10 am

I disagree. If it happens again in 10 games, so be it. It is NOT worth losing your all star catcher…the face of your franchise over a play at the plate. Buster is playing plays at the plate predominantly because he has been instructed to do so by management.

I agree with San. He deserves to be called out on it, and then time to move on. I’m done with this one. It really is not a major as far as I am concerned.

• unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:19 am

If he continues to be gun-shy, it does become an issue.

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:03 am

Charlie – I don’t think he is “gun shy.” I think he is basically playing the game the way management has asked, and in the case of last night, he made a misjudgement on the tag. For as infrequently as a tag is missed at the plate, I don’t see it becoming an issue. People are making a non-issue, and issue, IMO.

I’m with James…not going to try to find stats on this (and not sure they exist), but I doubt Posey’s numbers on tagging runners (or not) is that much different than the league mean.

5. willedav said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:03 am

Well said, guys, and I’d second what Zum said at end of thread last night too. I think Posey just thought he had an easier play than he did and got faked out. Taking a guy like Heyward on head up I don’t agree with and I doubt Bochy would either. Giants never scored all night so they weren’t winning anyway.

Which brings me to Morse. He’s hit the skids in May, batting .163 (7 for 43). Miller said coming in he was 2 for his last 24 and he had an 0-4 last night. No XBH since the 11-10 game vs. Pirates when he had 2 doubles. Thought last one was a hit up the middle but Braves had overshift on and 2b was positioned perfectly.
    No Pagan today, so Blanco (who did have a double last night) likely in the LU somewhere. Should be very warm day, hopefully big guns leave the yard a few times for SF, and Bum holds them down.

6. James said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:16 am

Why is everyone seemingly sold on Hector as a starting player based on his offense? I’ll be pleasantly surprised if “Finesse Hitter” Sanchez continues to better his numbers. He’s K’ing in 35% of his PAs and he doesn’t draw walks. Through yesterday, he’s played just as he has over his career. We’ve seen previous stretches where he’s hit the ball hard. He’s been lucky to hit well with runners on through 69 PAs, plus he’s had a ton of runners on base to drive in.

I’d rather see more of Colvin than Hector, at least based on the history.

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:23 am

Agree, James. Hector is what he is…a backup catcher. Better than Whitey or Stew, but not ready for prime time by any stretch of the imagination. His upside is he can put a charge in the ball, on occasion, and he is a switch-hitter.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:27 am

I’ve been wondering this same thing and caught that “finesse hitter” line last night too. Maybe he picks it up with more playing time but at the moment the dude is putting up .254/.275/.413/.688 and still lacking behind the dish. He’s gotten some key hits so there’s that.

7. James said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

I’m not going to try to look up or figure out the ratio of safe to out tag plays at the plate with Buster there. I’d still be willing to bet money that his 2014 % isn’t very different from other catchers.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

I caught Krukow’s take on KNBR this morning. Usually I don’t really care for that segment because, to me, it comes across to me as his homerism thought out overnight but I agreed with him this morning. Posey missed the tag. It was the key play of the game. He felt terrible about it. I know, I know feelings are for pussies but shit happens. He missed the play. He’s made some other terrific plays. This obviously wasn’t one of them.

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:06 am

Key play of the game? That’s a stretch IMO. Vogelsong even said that it was simply a missed tag, and that it was upon him to make pitches and get the team out of the jam, and in that regard, he said he failed.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:17 am

If Posey made that play it would have been two out with a runner on second and no run scored. Instead it was one out with a run scored and another in scoring position. Instead of possibly getting another out and escaping the inning without giving up any runs, Vogelsong went on to give up two more runs and ended up with his highest pitch count of any inning in that inning and didn’t come out for the 7th. I think it was a key moment where the game was basically put out of reach. Hardly a stretch.

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:56 am

I’ll give you that it was “A” key “part” of the game, but THE key play…we can agree to disagree…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 11:20 am

“A” or “The”. Sort of nitpicking here Chi. 0 for 7 with RISP was equally as bad but I think that was the big shift in the game. Just my take.

9. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:03 am

Hector pulls that play at the plate last night, he gets skewered from here to next week for his bad defense. Posey does it, and everybody looks for reasons why it happened. It happened because he got hurt at the plate 2+ years ago, that’s why it happened…

10. ewisco said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

I mentioned this in the last thread but where does Hayward cross outside the baseline? he sure looked outside it to me. doesn’t 100% excuse buster, who i’m willing to give a hayward (pass :) to, but seriously, this guy came from the on-deck circle. How much of the field is he expected to guard against?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:55 am

I thought that too when I saw the play. The whole inside/outside the baseline seems to be an arbitrary call all over the diamond.

11. wswins said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

Count the number of runs Posey allows. Count the number of runs Posey accounts for. Oh that’s right. You can’t count that high… I’d rather him miss the tag then miss the season or a career. enuff already

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:10 am

Agree.

12. Flavor said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

You guys are acting like Heyward came into the plate like a human missile or something. Buster was in no freaking danger last night, lol. He simply failed, for some unknown reason, to tag a guy who was basically standing right in front on him.

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:08 am

I have not made this type of analogy. I stated he missed the damned tag, and it very well could have been (probably was) a misjudgement. I think this is being made into something bigger than it is. Whoop-ti-fucky-do…he missed a tag. The dude is still one of the best in the game. Shit happens. Next…

13. pete said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:10 am

he learns from it and becomes a little more aggressive without running the risk of injury.

14. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:16 am

Well, that’s the problem I had with the play. Heyward was basically giving himself up. He didn’t try to do much to avoid the tag. Posey alligator-armed the tag and missed.

I’m not saying he’s gunshy forever, but if this becomes the trend, then he should start taking balls at 3rd base. HE says he wants to remain a catcher. Well, if so, he’s going to have to put forth better efforts than that.

Maybe this was just a play that he missed. No harm, no foul. But based on the last few plays at the plate, he certainly appears gunshy regarding contact. Marte was coming headfirst, for God’s sake. Posey wasn’t going to get blasted. He just had to put his mitt down. He didn’t and the run scored.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:21 am

Yeah, until he has a physical play at the plate and comes through it without issues he’ll probably continue to be gun shy. Remember the play at 1b earlier in the year after Posey bunted and was sort of horse collared? Wasn’t that Freeman? Posey has had a some weird things happen on the base paths.

15. Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:54 am

1. Gregor Blanco (L) CF
    2. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    5. Michael Morse (R) 1B
    6. Tyler Colvin (L) LF
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Brandon Hicks (R) 2B
    9. LHP — Madison Bumgarner (4-3, 2.83 ERA)

Wow…they didn’t bench Buster for being a pussy…guess he gets another chance to prove he belongs behind the dish…

16. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:56 am

Just went by the Coliseum, A’s playing WSox. Should I keep going to see SF v Braves, or see A ‘s? Nah, I’d rather have a lobotomy than see the A’s…

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:58 am

LMAO…enjoy the game, snarkk. Good luck keeping Blade in line…you gotta watch that dude.

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Just read this. LOL.

17. Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:59 am

Oh, and also…today’s game is the freebie on MLB TV…

18. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 11:11 am

Muni packed heading to ATT…

19. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 11:20 am

Plenty of women in shorts and halter tops out here near the Mays statue. Too bad so far they’re all over 65…

20. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 11:32 am

Ahhh, the arrival of 23 year old women in jeans shorts and tank tops has begun in the public house…

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 11:52 am

Try to keep your eyes in your gourd…

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

On it Chi. I keep reminding Snarkk he is married. :-)

21. Irish Kevin said, on May 14, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Okay time to lighten the mood around here and have some fun. June 8 is Hello Kitty Day. How many of you who have daughters or wives, are going to this game to get your daughter/wife one?? Yes, yes, I am going.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Are you serious? HK Day is tailor made for my daughter. Sort of a nightmare come to life for me but I might be able to make that.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm

See you there Dirt

22. Macdog said, on May 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I did not see “the play” live, only on replays. But yeah, it was pretty bad. No way to defend Posey on this one, no matter how “creative,” as Bochy put it, Heyward ad-libbed his slide. And while it was by far the most egregious mistake of the game, it was a terribly flat night overall for the Giants, who wasted runners on 2nd at various points and let in the final run on yet another fielding gaffe by a pitcher. But Posey’s not being moved from the catcher spot anytime soon, so maybe this latest incident will prod Posey to the realization that he can’t continue to be so embarrassingly passive on plays at the plate.

23. Nipper said, on May 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Never ever question Buster Posey.

24. pete said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Pence was due to go deep

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Pence smoked that sucks to the deepest part of the yard, oppo. Ball is carrying big time. This could be the best weather for a day game in ATT history, awesome out here…

25. blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Pence’s blast easily did 440-460 feet. Both Snarkk and I will sign affidavits to that (wall is 420).

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Just saw the highlight. That was a bomb. Sound off the bat was pretty awesome too.

26. pete said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Wow…36 pitches..Julio won’t be around long

27. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Yeah pete, he pitched 3 innings that inning.

28. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Panda, Morse combo. Nice play.

29. Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Cannot get audio to go here from work (damned firewall issue) so following on Gameday (sucks balls). Love to see Blanco pushing it with the stolen bases and scoring on the throwing error. And great to see Pence with the big fly. Dude was WAY OVER DUE.

Bury that tomahawk where the sun don’t shine, Giants!

30. Macdog said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Possible Blanco post-game quote: “I ran on Teheran.”

31. blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Unbelievable weather here flappers. Women here are . . . umm, quite provocatively dressed. Amazing what fashion is doing with baseball gear. ;-)

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Behave, Mr. Sombrero.

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:14 pm

How’d ya guess amigo? I’m wearing it and have received 2 compliments (and an offer to buy it. Ask Snarkk).

• Macdog said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I’m glad there’s something to distract you from MadBum’s lousy start.

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm

No shit Mac. He got whacked hard last inning.

32. pawliekokonuts said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:06 pm

So, Blade and Snarkk are at the game, sans orange sombreros?

33. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Shit, Bummie. You had the pitcher up next. Shouldn’t have given in…

34. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I just refound my sombrero in the garage.

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I sent flav some pics, including one with Morse at bat.

35. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Pablo!!!!

36. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Pablo is playing well. When he gets that power stroke back, watch out.

37. Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Heart of the order making some noise today.

My orange sombreros are in the garage. Wil have to rock it at the next Flapalooza….

38. pete said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Now Morse stinks. No Morse no belt…Pablo better heat up.

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Morse has always been a streaky hitter…I suspected we would see some of this. Pence needs to keep this going and Pablo needs to get on board…

• Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Pence is definitely heating up. Now if Pablo can string together a number of games like Pence is having today…

39. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Craw.

40. Macdog said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Pence having a game.

41. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 2:58 pm

A shut down inning here would be awesome.

42. Chipower9 said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:07 pm

MudBug having a nice game today, too. 2-3 with a run scored and RBI. I have always liked this guy…would love to see him make the AS game one of these days…

43. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:14 pm

La Bomba!!

44. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Morse says, see ya.

45. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Panda’s hurt now?

• Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I thought it was just a double switch, no?

46. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm

No. At least I don;t think so.

47. Bozo said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Craw splashin’

48. blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 3:54 pm

No doubt on that splash hit.

49. Nipper said, on May 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Damn the Giants look like champs! Oops….it’s early…

50. twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I haven’t looked the other comments, but this is my take on the missed tag:
    This is not about “he just missed the tag” nor is it about “creative” slides. I do not buy that it’s about Buster needing to “man up”, either. And it’s not about the new rule. It’s the club directive. Buster was setting up way too far from the plate last year and even more so this year. Last night setting up wasn’t the problem but the directive was. The club has gone too far in what essentially tells the catchers to avoid contact at any price. Buster wasn’t victimized by Heywood’s slide. It’s simple-he was trying to make the tag while avoiding any significant contact with the runner. A lot was made about his non-reaction to the safe call. IMO, he was just flat out embarrassed.

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Added notes: I was very down on Posey on these type of plays. I changed my mind when I thought it became clear that it was team policy. They even encourage and coach the swipe tag to keep the catchers away from contact. I do think that Buster was a little gun shy but I think that he thought he could make the tag easily because the throw beat Heywood by10 feet.

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2014 at 5:53 pm

agree about the *embarrassed* call. And I don’t know what stammering around and yelling would have done. If you do that AFTER the call it doesn’t matter. They still just go to replay. Stammering and stomping around doesn’t do shit anymore. In fact, it never did anything…….

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I agree that stomping around and making a scene would be useless. But gee, after the safe call he might have at least frowned or something.

51. DJLoo said, on May 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Was today’s game another one of those “sell-outs” with 5,000 empty seats?

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Yep…
      Announced crowd was 41,238 or some such. I’m guessing 35,000 were actually there…

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Yeah, snarkk and I sat in two seats that belonged to someone else. There’s 2 right there that didn’t show up.
        :-)

52. Irish Kevin said, on May 14, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Steve Kerr the coach of the Warriors

53. salty said, on May 14, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I don’t get what the big deal is about Kerr? He’s never been a HC coach at any level.

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I don’t really get it either but if he’s that sought-after and the back up plan is George Freaking Karl, I’m on board.

• DJLoo said, on May 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

It’s a surprise to Knick fans. Just yesterday the media here was saying the deal was all but done.

54. paulinasia said, on May 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

About the non-tag (beaten to death already), I know James was kidding yesterday when he joked about what, no props to Heyward?, but I do tip my hat to Heyward for giving it everything he had in a dead duck situation. If Pagan had done that to an opposing team, we would be singing his praises, what a stud, etc. No question Buster was completely out-played on that one and yes, he definitely was completely embarrassed by it. Team directive or not, I’m guessing he won’t ever look that foolish again.

55. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Marty Lurie said last night that the ump supervisor Ed Montague said a base runner heading for home basically has 3 feet on either side of the baseline before he’s declared “out of the baseline”…

56. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I don’t know about Kerr, but I’m sure glad it ain’t Stan Van Gundy. I think the players would sour on his style rather quickly.

57. blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I don’t understand the fawning over Steve Kerr . . . If he had gone to the Knicks, he would have implemented the “Triangle” offense, as Phil Jackson was his mentor/teacher. Does that mean he is going to have the Warriors utilize it? I have no idea, but I hope not.

However, I digress . . . This guy gets a 4 year $25 million dollar contract as a 1st time coach? HAHAHA . . . I understand now why the Knicks initially resisted – for a couple of weeks – giving him that 4th year. Just my take, but I would have taken George Karl, as I saw him coach in Denver and he was outstanding. More important, he didn’t take any guff from the lunatics in the asylum (players and GM), including Carmelo Anthony. Consequently, the owner and GM fired him. Pfffftttt!

Karl is associated with an uptempo style of play that relies on pressure defense to force turnovers and quick shots by opponents to allow his teams to get out and run. In truth, it was only his Denver teams that consistently played at a high pace. Prior to that, he had teams all over the map in terms of pace, though he’s never coached an excessively slow team. His Seattle teams varied from middle of the pack to high paced, and his Milwaukee teams were (by necessity) not particularly fast. In Denver, with the altitude, he ran a fast paced team every year.

Karl has won with a variety of different kinds of teams–ferocious defensive teams in Seattle, perimeter offensive squads in Milwaukee, running teams in Denver. He’s won with a big scoring star (Carmelo Anthony) and with a more balanced approach. His teams have consistently forced a lot of opponent turnovers–his Seattle and Denver teams in particular, though even with a more defensively challenged roster in Milwaukee he had some good turnover teams.

Offensively, his style has varied based on his personnel, but it seems like he understood the value of the three pointer and free throws fairly early on. Some of his Seattle teams were at or near the top in both 3PA and FTA. He didn’t have free throw drawers in Milwaukee, but increased their reliance on the three pointer throughout his tenure there. In Denver, his teams regularly led the league in FTAs, and most years were at least in the top half of the league in 3PA. In short, I think Curry and all of our long range bombers would have loved him. I am not certain about this, but I think he has the inside track on the Timberwolves coaching gig.

In Kerr’s defense, he has played for some excellent coaches – the aforementioned Jackson and Pops in San Antonio. Maybe he has channeled some of their smarts (albeit, I am of the opinion, that Jackson ALWAYS entered a situation where the hard coaching and transition to being a good team had already been made by the previous coach . . . If you want the baseball equivalent, see Joe Torre, who got all the credit; even though Showalter did all the work and got fired for his effort).

58. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I liked Karl his first time around.

59. zumiee said, on May 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Great day at the yard today. The weather was unusually warm for San Francisco, quite nice, and the yard played small. I was rockin’ the Flapper shirt. I am 2-0 now when wearing the shirt at games. :)
    It was great getting to meet up with Snarkk and Blade for a couple of innings. Two awesome dudes; Flappers are exceptionally cool folks.
    On the drive home, my wife and I listened to Wilco’s album “Sky Blue Sky,” and then to the Marlins beating up on the Dodgers on a radio broadcast via iPhone MLB app, plugged into the car stereo. Terrific day of baseball all around!

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Great seeing you at the Yard, zum! Glad you had a safe trip back…

60. Macdog said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:03 pm

A local Jersey guy, Anthony DeSclafani, from Freehold (home of the Boss) out of Colts Neck HS, got the call-up today from the Marlins to start against the Bums in what would’ve been Jose Fernandez’s spot. DeSclafani left after the 6th with a 13-2 lead. I like his chances for his first big-league W.

61. snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:15 pm

BTW, blade, I saw two other Gyros fans rocking the Sombrero as I made my way back downtown after the game…

• blade3colorado said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:27 pm

To think I was going to leave it at my mom’s house. Glad I brought it along. That was funny when the Masked Mexican Crusader (I’m serious – this shit is too far out there to make up) asked to be photographed with me. We should have been thinking quicker snarkk and took our own shots of him and I. That was one weird hombre, eh?

Zum, ditto on what you said . . . It was a pleasure seeing you again. My phone is dead right now, but tomorrow I will send the group photo of us to Flavor. :-)

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I dunno, I’m not sure you want a bunch of photos with him out there in the ether in case he’s with the wrong cartel or something…

• unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:47 am

He missed Puig by a couple days?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers