Panda Contract Drive Takes Another Hit

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 15, 2014

This is starting to feel like a “bad penny” year for The Panda. He was finally starting to hit a little, he even nudged his batting average over .200 for the first time I can remember. Then he has to exit with a big toe injury. It doesn’t sound serious but injuring your big toe, even a little bit, is a bigger deal for a professional athlete than it is for guys like you and me. This could set him back a few steps as he tries to finally get his contract drive going……

Miami comes into town today and I always feel like we play poorly against them. Maybe I’m just remembering all of the Ricky Nolasco beat downs we endured over the years. This Marlin team doesn’t play very well on the road and we should pad our lead in the West this weekend.

Sorry to everyone who has sent me pics lately, been too busy to upload them here or into the ‘bucket but I will get to that soon.

About these ads

1. Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:55 am

Awesome game yesterday in many facets. While Bum obviously did not have his best stuff, and the Braves were pesky for the first half of the game, the team again persevered. It was cool to see bombs by Pence, Morse and Mudbug, but I was equally, if not more impressed with the White Shark. Three stolen bags and three runs scored (you would have to go back quite a ways to see that from a SF Giant club).

Sounds like our Flappers on the scene had an awesome time, and it is cool that Blade and snarkk got to meet up with Zumie. Looking forward to the picts with Steve rocking the sombrero. I should have taken mine to the mini Flapalooza we had back in April. Next Flapalooza I suggest everyone who has a sombrero rocks it.

Looking at some of the match-up stuff for this series agains the Fish, and it still boggles my mind every time I see Cain listed as a starter with the 0-3 record. He has pitched pretty damned good of late…time for him to get off the schnide.

2. willedav said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:00 am

Yea, hope that is just precautionary move and not serious.

Glad to see Blanco contribute. I know I am in minority, but I think he can help the team in LF. His 2 yrs here his OB is high (.330-.340 range) and he plays well at ATT. Last year as season wore on his BA fell 30 points from first half to second; clearly he is not an every day guy but with .700 OPS/102 OPS plus a quality sub.

We’ll see about Colvin, but he had very extreme splits in 2012 season for Colo. Nice numbers over all, but significant drop off on the road–BA fell 100 points and OPS dropped from 1.032 to .687…in other words right into Blanco range. More pop, definitely…OB and defense, likely a drop off. Despite hot start, ATT just isn’t a good place for LH power guys. Right now ATT is playing small with warm weather that won’t last.
    Our boy Nate hit 20 HRs playing in friendly confines for Cubs last year, and colvin has been fortunate enough to play for both Cubs and Rox. Seeing what he can do here on part time basis worth a shot I guess.

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 am

I won’t speak for blade, but yesterday he said he wasn’t particularly thrilled with Colvin, having seen him in Denver with the Rocks. Apparently the guy is very streaky. In person, I noticed he’s got more than a bit of a herky jerky swing, there seems to be a hitch in that git along. Anyway, he got a couple of knocks including a rope double into right, so I’m hoping he’s on a good streak…

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:56 am

Yep, enjoy the ride with Colvin because it wont last.

• James said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:29 am

The 2 seasons Colvin has significant numbers of PAs, he’s been a fair to pretty good player. I’m also part of the minority that doesn’t see Blanco as some disastrous alternative — his numbers last year show that — but he’s still never put up a 114 OPS+ like Colvin.

Here, BTW are Colvin’s monthly splits for 2010 and 2012:

They look pretty normal to me.

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:42 am

“They look pretty normal to me”

Uhh huh. Guess that’s why he was traded along with DJ LeMahieu to the Sherpas for Casey Weathers (who?) and Ian Stewart in 2011. They liked him so much, he was outrighted off the roster on September 4, 2013. However, despite so many teams wanting him, the Giants were able to sign him to a minor-league deal in February.

• James said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:07 am

Yeah, his career numbers are not great, and I would hardly have high expectations for him, but what the stats show is that in the 2 years Colvin played a significant amount of time, he was not particularly streaky for long periods. He was also pretty good those years.

3. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:55 am

Stanton owns Cain. More important perhaps, Stanton is raking. as he has at least 2 hits in his last 4 games (3 in his last game) and is on a 16 game hitting streak.

Me? He is in such a zone, that I wouldn’t give him anything to hit . . . Shit, if you have to – walk him each time he comes up to bat.

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hey, blade, stay cool today, it’s going to be a hot one. I am totally into that kind of game plan. As in Timmy v. Goldschmidt — throw the guy nothing but garbage, and if you walk him, fine. Take your chances with somebody else beating you for a change. Teams walked Bonds constantly for a reason — when they threw him a strike, he’d murder the ball…

• stickman said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:34 am

With you on walking Giancarlo. Similar treatment for when Timmy faces Goldschmidt. Some hitters simply have ownage over particular pitchers.

4. Bozo said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:13 am

OK, I know this “lost scouting report” of Hunter Pence is a joke (at least I hope so) but I think it nailed him.

Gangly. Runs like a rotary telephone thrown into a running clothes dryer. Throws like an effete Frenchman throwing a bookcase uphill. Swings a bat like his elbows are stapled to his knees and his underwear is pulled over his head. Stares at you when you aren’t looking.

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:52 am

Pretty darned funny. :)

5. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:15 am

Yeah, the master plan today in my mom’s circa-1950s home is to open up both doors and all windows in the early morning, then close them around 11am . . . and hope for the best. This place rarely got hot when we had the large Magnolia tree in the front yard. Sucker cast a large shadow over the house and kept it cool . . . Not so much anymore when it had to be removed 5 years ago and it was replaced with a pip-squeak tree that barely clears the roof today. Sigh . . .

6. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:21 am

New Atlanta Stadium drawings. Nice. Turner Field will be dismantled apparently and sent to Oakland.

• Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:42 am

LMAO on the “dismantled and sent to Oakland.” You know they’ll want to move it to San Jose!

• Bozo said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm

First off, Turner field was built just before Atlanta had the Olympics (and no it wasn’t built FOR the Olympics, like the current owners say) My buddy who has had Field box season tickets for the Braves for more than 20 years, doesn’t plan on renewing when they move. He said the commute would be too great. He actually goes to the games (he doesn’t do the chop, so please put the torches away), so I’ll be curious to see how it works out for the Braves. They have trouble fillinng the stadium now, if they start losing the Season ticket holders that are 5 rows behind the plate, Atlanta’s next move might be Oakland.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:25 am

All this run scoring and slugging is weird.

8. Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

Agree on the slant on Stanton. Cain, Hudson, Timmy, and Vogs for this series. Nice that all the other teams in the West lost yesterday. Need to take at least 3 of 4 from the Fish to keep the pressure on.

Don’t look now, but second on the club in RBIs is none other than our beloved MudBug with 20 (Morse leads the club with 25).

9. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:48 am

Some more props for the guy that Macdog talked about yesterday, Anthony DeSclafani. He walked into Dodger Stadium, and pitched very well in his first big league game, and contributed to Marlin rallies with his bat. Hanging a loss on the Dodgers was very cool. It’s probably a nice break for the Giants that they don’t have to face him this week.
    The Marlins have beens struggling as of late, but as yesterday’s game vs. the Dodgers reminds everyone, they can be a dangerous team.

10. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:53 am

In the category of: They have a website for that? Here’s the latest on Pablo’s toe injury.

Gott love their tag line:

Every twist, snap, pop, break, ache, and pain – covered here.

11. Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks for the link, Charlie. End of the article it says the Fish are in town to start a three game series…actually a four gamer.

I read Bagg’s article…nothing noteworthy on Pablo’s condition.

Here is an article on Pablo from mlb.com. Bochy is optimistic that Pablo will be ready to go tonight, whereas Bagg’s piece is titled “Simmering Sandoval questionable to play vs. Marlins.”

12. stickman said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

Performances yesterday from El Tiburon Blanco and the Very High Most Reverend Underpants demonstrate well the strengths of this team. They can come at you from anywhere at most any time. They pick each other up. No overblown egos with this bunch. Long slumps not too likely because of this spread and also because of the presence of our stopper, the vintage Hudson Terraplane, helluva car in its day and still running smoothly for its third owner. Then there’s yesterday’s bulletproof bullpen.

Agree that the Fish have been a pest and a tormenting snag for SF these past few years ~ to say nothing of ’93. Under those circumstances i’d settle for a split, but hoping for a series win. A series win and most prognosticating poobahs out east will probably concede SF is the team to beat in the NL. Check out those team by team stats. Giants among the leaders in both pitching and run production. No discernable major weaknesses or serious imbalances, as compared with, say, the Rox and their monster home-road splits.

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 11:06 am

Nice post. Poetic. Do you know you have a “brother from another mother” in the Minnesota wilderness? :-)

• Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

Speaking of, where in the hell has stixman been?

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 11:56 am

It’s like Superman and Clark Kent; they can never be in the same room together. :)

13. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hey Flav, you checking to see if anyone’s paying attention? WTF are the Oakland A’s minor league stats doing in the blog roll?

• Flavor said, on May 15, 2014 at 4:51 pm

They’ve been there for 2 years so I’m glad you finally started to explore other sections of the blog. Lqtm

14. gianthead said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I noted the other day I was not thrilled with Stan Van Gundy as the next Warrior coach and preferred Kerr, so at least I think this is a better step. At least Lacob is showing they are willing to spend to get what they want…isnt Lebron a free agent?:)

15. gianthead said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I still would look to trade David Lee for Asik as my #1 target. Add Iguodola in the deal and be willing to take Jeremy Lin in the deal to back-up Curry, the Warriors would spend just $3 mill more next year (but then they dont need a Steve Blake or other vet back-up PG that they would likely spend money on) but save $27 mill over the two seasons after next.

Barnes could then get pushed back into the starting lineup to see if he can raise his game in his third year. Then you have Draymond who could then backup Asik and/or Barnes.

This would give the Warriors more flexibility over those next two years to really make a run at a championship by adding pieces to take them to the next level and also provide a big-time insurance for Bogut by having Asik.

16. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, me too. I just don’t think the players would thrive under Stan Van G’s heavy-handedness. I have no idea how Kerr will go about coaching, but $25 mill for 5 years is pretty pricey for a coach with 0 experience, but what the hell? As we’ve said before it ain’t my money.

• gianthead said, on May 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Agreed Chuckster

17. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm

It seems unbelievable that a full-court press could mess up an NBA team, but the Clippers made a huge turnover at the end of Game 5 against a press. Chris Paul jumping up to make a pass….what the heck was that? I don’t feel sorry for the Clippers at all. I hope they lose Game 6, too.The Thunder is my surrogate team in the NBA playoffs, although they have to rely on two main players so much.

• Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Having grown up in Oklahoma, I have got to pull for the Thunder now that the Dubs are outta the dance. Thunder UP! Fuck the Clippers – BEAT LA!

• gianthead said, on May 15, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I am still rooting for the Clips based on a 17-1 odds to get them and the Pacers into the finals..

18. Chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Interesting stat – Giants have hit 49 HRs (3rd in MLB). They are 21-8 in games they hit at least one HR. In games they do not hit a HR…they’re 5-7. Lends new meaning to the tune “When the Giants come to town…it’s bye bye baby…”

Giants are also 9-4 in series. 5-1 at home and 4-3 on the road. They have swept two series and have not been swept themselves.

19. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

For Throwback Thursday, a time when a player didn’t throw back. The hidden ball trick. It’s a classic:

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I like the look the baserunner gives the firstbase coach when the play is over. The look is like ‘just what exactly is your job?’

20. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 2:16 pm

The Braves should move back to Boston…

21. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 3:13 pm

It was a terrific Giants game yesterday, but I do have one minor quibble: there was a situation in the game, with Crawford on third, one out, Giants ahead by one or two runs, and Arias pinch-hitting. The situation just screamed for a suicide squeeze attempt, in my opinion. But, Bochy, as usual, chose not to do that. Arias popped out, for the second out, leaving it up to Blanco with two outs; not an ideal situation. Fortunately, Blanco bailed everyone out with a two-out hit to score the run. Bochy, the right choice, or just lucky that time? Whatever, as glad as I am that Blanco came through, I still think the suicide squeeze was the better call.
    The Giants should do it at least once in a great while just to make it a threat in the opponent’s mind. Give the defense more to worry about, in their positioning, and pitch selection. I hate it when other teams score a run against the Giants with the squeeze. It can be a back-breaker type of play in the right situation.

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Balls were literally screaming yesterday. Posey got under one that went to right field in the 1st, that easily would have gone out of the ball park into the adjacent yacht docks had he gotten all of it. Gattis hit one to right field which had HR written all over it, except it went foul. Crawford’s splash hit was in the water in a nano second.

Last, but not least – Morse’s shot to the farthest corner in right center (420 mark) went at least 440 and possibly 460 feet. Pence also went yard and summarized the day by saying this, “I don’t think there were any cheap homers.”

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:18 pm

One of the beefs I have with Bochy…his lack of using the suicide. One of my favorite plays in baseball. Agree…they should do it at least once in a while.

22. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Speaking of Boston, 2 more murder charges for Aaron Hernandez. I bet he won’t be a tight end in prison.

23. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I’d never heard of Tyler Sash, who played a couple of seasons in the NFL for the NY Giants. He was recently doing reckless drunken driving on his scooter. The story ends humorously:
    “The 25-year-old reportedly refused multiple orders to stop, though, and after a four-block chase he ditched the scooter and took off on foot. Police eventually found Sash hiding behind a tree, and when he refused to come out, they shot him with a Taser.”

24. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:27 pm

As blade and I were walking along on the Club level yesterday about an hour before the game, we happened to see Jon Miller walking briskly down the hallway and into a side door in back of the broadcast booth and press box area. He was wearing black shorts and shirt. Jon could do with a little exercise program, IMHO…

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Agree. Surprised his wife let him out of the house wearing that “get up.” If Miller went on a diet, a 3rd world country would have enough food to eat for a year.

• WilcoJoe said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I saw him before a game in Houston a few years back and he was wearing a dress shirt with khaki shorts and sandals. You couldn’t help but laugh at the sight of him.

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Yeah, I’ve seen Miller, too. He is NOT a fashion statement.

25. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Jeter just played a foul pop-up as if he’d already retired.

26. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I mentioned suicide squeeze earlier, but of course, there’s the safety squeeze, also.
    But as Blade said, the ball was flying all over the ballpark. Bochy wanted to see if Arias could drive something.

27. zumiee said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:45 pm

According to MLB app, Hudson is scratched from tomorrow’s game. Hip sprain. Petit starts.

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I saw that Zum . . . Damn. I was really counting on a start from Huddy (who is on one of my FL teams). Apparently, he’ll sit until his next scheduled start.

28. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:55 pm

With the Marlins coming in, here’s a link to Stanton hitting MLB’s longest jack of the year so far, estimated at 485 feet. This ball is crushed…

And, here he is again with the 4th longest so far this season, measured at around 470…

Here’s the ESPN home run tracker with video links…

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 5:57 pm

blade, this thing estimated Pence’s jack yesterday at only 421, but that’s the distance just to where the wall is out in Right Center. That thing was 20+ feet off the ground when it hit there in the pavillion, so I say it’s easily a 440 foot shot

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Yeah, that’s BS . . . It was easily 20 feet off the ground (as you said) and it went fairly deep into the pavilion area. No brainer that went at least 440 feet.

By the by, you made reference to “this thing?” Do you have a web site?

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Whoops, I just saw the site above. Sorry.

29. paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Steve and Snarkk, completely agree about pitching around Stanton. But that doesn’t seem to be the Giants’ way, either by strategy or inability. Every time we play AZ, everyone here on the Flap says “pitch around Goldschmidt” and bang, fastballs over the plate. The Giants of all teams should know the effectiveness of pitching around hot hitters, after watching other teams do it with Bonds for so many years. I’ll be amazed if they pitch around Stanton this series, and if they don’t, and if the weather is still warm there, he will likely hit some shots. He’s a stud. Imagine him playing the outfield for the Giants. He’d probably be the first to hit the mitt. Would love to see him in a G’s uni someday soon.

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Stanton would hit major shots out of ATT and anywhere else, paul. I would love to have that guy patrol LF for the Gyros. Not going to happen, he’ll require too much coin for the Giants “budget”. Dodgers? I would not put it past them to put him in Dodger Blue with a massive contract…

• Flavor said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I’m against pitching around Stanton (at least, never throwing him a strike). Go contrarian. He’s used to being pitched aorund. Pitch him backwards. Whatever.
      You can’t run scared and win. It never works.
      And Stanton is just a man. He’s just a man.

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Are you quoting from that song from Jesus Christ Superstar? :-)

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I don’t know how to take this
        I don’t see why he moves me
        He’s a man
        He’s just a man
        And I’ve had so many
        Men before
        In very many ways
        He’s just one more…

• Flavor said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I think I am quoting something from Rocky 3 when Apollo Creed tries to psych Rocky up before his second fight with Clubber Lang. But I might be mis-remembering.

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

You and George Bush…

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Yep, Snarkk, that’s the one… I actually always liked that song. And that singer. She also sang backup on Clapton’s reggae-y album way back when…

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Yvonne Elliman…

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Yeah, I could see that happening too. If there ever was one big splurge G’s management would do, signing him as preventive medicine just so the Dogs wouldn’t get him would be it.

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm

You da man, Snarkk, nice to see that. She was hot. She seemed to have kind of disappeared after appearing on the Clapton album, maybe had one solo album too, but don’t remember hearing about her after that…

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm

She had this big hit in ’78, written by the Bee Gees. From what I gather, this was after the tour with Clapton in the ’75 time frame. She pretty much dropped outta sight after the late ’70s…

She lives back in Hawaii as of a few years ago. You can drop in on her when you come to/from the states… ;)

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Yeah, huh. Hawaii is not a bad way station. I don’t remember that Bee Gees song at all. “Hello Stranger” is the one I remember. Nice song.

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

JC Superstar was brought back on Broadway a few years back, it’s touring again now in some form of a big arena show. Headed for SJose this July at the SAP Center. I guess A.L. Webber needs a few more millions…

30. Flavor said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm

One thing I really liked about yesterday’s game that no one seems to be discussing: the aggressiveness. Posey going from first to third–think he was trying to make up for his pussy play the night before? I do.Blanco running wild. I love that shit. Play hard. It works in everything but golf.

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Agree. Haven’t seem much of that, nice to see yesterday. It’s almost like Blanco was thinking, shit man, Colvin’s up, I’m riding the pine like forever, I’m going to make the best of this day…..

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Seen much…

31. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Well, didn’t take long for Cain to give up a dinger. Let’s hope that’s one and done with the big flies…

32. paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I know there have been discussions and stats about what kind of hitter should be hitting 2nd in the lineup and that maybe it doesn’t matter much, but I don’t dig Pence in that spot. His OBP is good, but he just doesn’t seem like the right fit there. Maybe I got used to Scoots doing a great job there. And with Belt out, not sure who else could do it. Crawford? If Colvin continues to hit?

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Agree Paul. I would like to see Crawford move up to 2nd. Along with destroying left handers this season (last I checked, he was batting .400 plus against them), Crawford has already matched his pre-All-Star break home run total (five) from a year ago. He is on pace to finally break the double-digit mark in long balls for the first time in his career.

• paulinasia said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I know you’re not big on Colvin (streaky, a face plant is inevitable, etc.) and maybe you’re right. But so far, in a VERY limited sample, I’m liking him and I’d put him in the 2nd spot… :-)

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Well, I’m definitely liking his hitting streak. As I said before, he can be “All World” for a month . . . then become invisible for weeks on end. Hopefully, he learned something after his two previous stops in Chicago and Colorado. :-)

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm

As I mentioned earlier, MudBug is second on the club in RBIs. Not sure how many opportunities he gets in the 2 hole. But yeah…he is one I think would be a good fit there.

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm

If he keeps hitting the way he has, they will have no choice.

33. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Cain on red alert. Sheesh . . . 3 earned runs already after 2 innings. Not good.

34. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Morse running the old roll right – screen left play…

35. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Cain has to get Salty (especially in lieu of the fact that Salty has really been slumping lately).

• DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Well that was a low sodium at bat, Blade…

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 pm

:-) . . . SDawg and I were discussing Salty yesterday related to FL . . . He was unbelievably hot in April and disappeared in May (that last AB makes him ZERO for 21).

36. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Morse sure loves being a Giant…

37. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm

That was in Row 12 of the bleachers at Yankee Stadium…

38. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Would you trade Bumgarner for Stanton?

• SanDawg said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:40 pm

No, but that is tempting.

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Agree, SanD…

39. pete said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Morse Pence get along like ’10 Huff Burrell and seem to bring a similar personality to the club.

40. pete said, on May 15, 2014 at 8:55 pm

FO looking good so far with Morse Colvin and Hicks. Total cost $7m?

41. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Better get a shutdown inning here. C’mon Matty.

42. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Buster smoked that double. Yesterday, he was uppercutting a bit, hit a few very high pops, just missing under the ball. Tonight he solved the puzzle and squared it up…

43. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Least he didn’t reach the stands.

44. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Panda not playing $95 million defense…

45. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Get the pen going..

46. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Fuck. This inning is getting away from them.

47. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Belt makes that play

48. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hoooooooo boy

49. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Coming up, Cain on very short leash now. At least he better be. Unusual for Cain to get this much run support, so of course he can’t keep the oppo under 4 runs so far…

50. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Pagan on base 3X so far. Not coincidental the Gyros have 6 runs…

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm

His on base percentage is approaching .380 I think. Nice.

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I think Pagan is the key piece to the team. Dude is the sparkplug, and his numbers are pretty damned good, too.

51. pete said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Weak buster

52. willedav said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Yes, Pagan is causing havoc with the OB and the steals. He is bringing a lot to the table right now.
    But there is where you miss Scut, who was reliable at hitting ball to right side and moving runner over. Craw as LH would likely be able to do same.
    Then the Marlins guy throws the wild pitch.
    And Posey can’t get the ball in the air. Argggh, couple bad ABs in a row behind Pagan.

53. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Damn…would have been nice to pick-up that run…

54. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Cain found some command there in the 7th…

55. DJLoo said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm

When Morse holds that bat up high he reminds me of one of those natives that would show up and chase Gilligan around the island every few weeks.

56. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Was surprised to see Cain in the 7th. Very surprised in the 8th.

57. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm

So, if Cain gets out of the inning with a pitch or two (under 110) do you trot him out to start the 9th?

58. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Yep…that’s the right move. Had Cain got a quick out, I would have brought him out to start the 9th.

59. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

7 2/3 is pretty good after hanging a bunch of pitches early.

60. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Absolutely, Charlie. Best outing by Cain in a loooong time. Dude got better as the game progressed. Now THAT is the Horse we all know and want to see regularly (sans the two mistakes that ended up on the wrong side of the fence).

61. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:50 pm

He;s been doing ahat a lot though. Leaving his offspeed shit up and it gets whacked.

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Agree. Way too often…

62. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Affeldt gets ‘er done!

63. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hell of a pitch there

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm

The last couple of weeks is some of the best I have seen from Affeldt. Dude is locked-in right now.

64. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Thunder trying to close out the Clips…up 10 with a little less than 6 to play…Thunder UP!

65. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Romo made Hechavarria look ridiculous on that SO.

66. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Ballgame! Fuck Yeah!

67. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Off to catch the end of the Thunder – Clippers game. Come on Thunder…I fucking cannot stand Blake Griffin or Chris Paul. Fuck em…

68. willedav said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Yeah! Cain finished strong, picks up a W.

Clips down 11 with 2 plus to go, Griffin fouls out. Close these chumps out, OKC pls.

69. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Nice come from behind win. Morse and Pence look like they are getting into a groove.
    And Cain gets a W in a game where he was throwing gopher balls early. Stanton kept in check, dots nice.
    They left too many on base (12), could have won this by 4 runs, if they had clutched up better.
    Keep the pedal to the metal…

• unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Down by 3 twice, it’s a little hard to complain. They did luck out on Pence not being called out on the grounder that hit his foot

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm

That play is apparently not reviewable, per Baggs’ tweet:
        Reading from replay rule: “Balls that first land in front of the set positions of the 1st/3rd base umpire shall not be subject to review.”

70. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:25 pm

See ya Clips…enjoy the off-season…

71. snarkk said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Giants 4th in NL in runs scored with 173, average 4.22 rpg. Marlins 2nd at 187 runs…

72. blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm

BEST RECORD IN MLB . . . YES, THAT’S YOUR SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!

• blade3colorado said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:35 pm

OK, I fudged a bit . . . Detroit has a better winning percentage, but we have more wins. Only noting this because James would take exception to the math. :-)

• chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Hell Yes! I realize it is early (barely a quarter of the season in the books), but I feel something very special materializing…I’ll leave the rest of it to your imagination…

73. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Good night Flappers. All is good. Giants win. Thunder eliminates the Clip job. Boo Yah!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers