.643?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 16, 2014

I was staring at the NL West standings this morning and I have to admit, this isn’t really adding up. To me anyway. 27-15? For a team that can’t hit and an under-performing pitching staff? And yet, here we sit atop one of the toughest divisions in baseball. If you had to list off the top 3 reasons for this unexpected start, what would your list look like?

I’d go:

1) team chemistry

2) rock solid bullpen

3) best manager in baseball

Of course there are other things. You might not even agree that those 3 things are contributing to playing .643 ball so far in 2014.

Whatever it is, I’ve come to expect wins. Put ‘em in the bank. See where we stand in September….

_______________________

Yuzzie-Pet goes today for an ailing Huddy.

Wither Huddy?

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 6:59 am

There are no “weak sisters” in this line-up. Yeah, Panda was scuffling, but he has a history of success. Here’s a mea culpa for you (and you’ve probably have had this dilemma as well Flavor) – I started Eovaldi in one of my fantasy leagues, thinking it was a “win win” situation, i.e., Eovaldi has been near lights out, he’s pitching at the Phone Park, which is a pitcher’s heaven, and I would root for the Giants to win (giving up that FL category). HAHAHA . . . Eovaldi got torched. I got burned.

However, my psychological firewall of thinking the Giants are a weak hitting team? That has gone the way of the Dodo bird. I will not doubt this team again this season. Morse rakes and is McCovery reincarnated . . . Posey is an MVP . . . Pagan is the best lead off hitter in the NL . . . Crawford hits lefties and has pop . . . Pence is acting like it’s September again . . . Colvin is on one of his hot streaks . . . Pablo is waking up from the dead . . . Hicks is a threat to go yard at every AB . . . and we have Belt to look forward to insofar as reinforcements. What’s not to like? This is not your typical torture 2010 and 2012 hitting team.

Then what you said – solid bullpen, team chemistry (love the new high 5 or whatever they call it) and the best manager in baseball. I like this paradigm. :-)

2. ewisco said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:08 am

I think the bullpen is key but there’s something missing. i’m not sure how to best describe it but it’s the hitters all contributing, though there’s nothing exciting about their batting averages and certainly nothing exciting about their RISP hitting.

btw, good article about Kerr: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10895607/golden-state-warriors-steve-kerr-tough-enough-nba-coaching

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:27 am

Actually, they are 1st in MLB with 68 RBIs w/2 out and RISP.

3. salty said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:51 am

Power helps. Can’t underestimate the lift it gives a team. Pagan Hudson Morse all deserving of team MVP votes. Romo, too. But you have to get the ball to him with the lead. The pen has been solid.
    And when a guy like Vogie or Pablo struggles and then turns it on, it inspires everyone. They don’t quit.
    A lot to like with this club.

4. willedav said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:01 am

Sabes comes through again with great pick ups in Morse and Hudson, and Giants haven’t much missed Scuts bat with Hicks nice OPS numbers. Crawford way different from struggling hitter of 2013, and his glove has been just terrific. He and Belt appear to have solid futures as good hitters and fielders.

Chem/success is a funny thing, not sure if chicken/egg. Buddy of mine who coaches very successful b-ball Asian girls club team talks often about how much kids all seem to like each other off the court. Couple families drive from SF to east san jose on Friday nights just to practice before a weekend tournament; I’ve coached teams with parents who wouldn’t drive across town for the same thing. I’ve seen his team play once this year, and they scored 33 points in an 8 minute quarter, 10th grade girls.

One weird thing I’ve noticed in Giants dugout–after successful AB/run scored, someone lifts off the guy’s batting helmet from behind him as he’s being high fived. ?

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:30 am

So he doesn’t get pounded om the head . . . they’ve been doing that for a while.

5. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:01 am

No Zito?

My picks in no particular order.
    The Bullpen and Hudson
    Not having to miss Marco because of what Hicks has been able to do.
    Pagan doing his thing at the top of the order.
    Having the deep threat bat of Morse
    The defensive positioning has been outstanding.
    Bonds working with Craw on hitting left handers. (this year, 1-8 in the LU can do some damage)
    Scoring more runs than we’ve allowed, and being third in HRs with Pac Bell as their home.

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:34 am

Good call on the defensive positioning. I don’t think many realize how important that really is in shortening and getting out of innings.

6. Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:32 am

All the things Flavor said, plus:

This is in MLB…NOT just NL…

10th in SLG
    11th in OPS
    8th in Runs Scored
    8th in Extra Base Hits
    3rd in HRs
    1st in RBIs with 2 out and RISP.

I mentioned last night that I think Pagan is the overall key. Many are contributing in many ways, but I think if you took him out of the equation, it would probably have a more dire effect than taking anyone else out.

And one not mentioned and it is one of those unmeasurable ones like chemistry (maybe it is an extension of chemistry), but this team just GRINDS! Rolling over and giving up is not in their make-up. They rallied from three down twice last night. I just love it that you really cannot count them out on almost any given night.

Only a tab past the quarter mark, but this club is something special. I’m loving it!

And I am not concerned about Hudson. He misses a second start and we’ll talk.

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:58 am

Absolutely, unequivocally agree with what you said about Pagan. Similar to the Star Wars opening –

“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….”

Myself and a couple of others (Flavor and Loo I think, maybe 1 or 2 more) were the only ones that endorsed the Andrés Torres and Ramón Ramírez trade for Pagan. Some even calling him a cancer on the Mets team (which I didn’t get, because those same team mates affectionately christened him “El Caballo Loco” (Spanish for “Crazy Horse”). In short, his Met team mates loved the guy. As you pointed out Chi, you take him out of the “equation” and I think we do a face plant. See last season for Exhibit A.

Reggie Jackson said once (paraphrasing here), “I am the straw that stirs the drink.” Pagan is the “straw” on this team in my opinion. Love his energy and the way he plays the game.

• pete said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:39 am

I don’t recall anyone not liking that trade.

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:39 am

Pete – you must not have been around when it was discussed here on the Flap, as there were a number of regulars who thought it was not a good idea.

7. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:35 am

Morse certainly givves the team some bad-ass presence. As in get-the fuck-out-of-our-way,-we’re-winning-this-fucking-game attitude. Something they lacked last year. But Hicks is the biggest surprise. Didn’t expect much out of him, at least power-wise, and he’s mashing. Colvin is nothing but gravy at this point. Werid injuries haven’t slowed them down. Just got to hope the wheels stay on for a while.

I think these guys gained a lot of confidence by rolling on that last roadie.

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:36 am

And Morse’s resmblance to Jack Clark is uncanny.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:36 am

His stance reminds me a lot of Scutaro’s. Remember that guy?

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:16 am

How quickly we forget . . .

8. Nipper said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:46 am

Pure luck. It’s early May….no pressure. Glad Matt finally got a win.

9. willedav said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:51 am

Those road teams they beat were all playoff teams last year, and SF really was afterthought in preseason rankings–WAS, STL, LA were supposedly NL big guns with ATL right behind them. Giants have severely messed with ATL and LA so far. And it seems like they are back to romping teams at home.

We’ve talked about adding such a guy before, but Morse as RH with pop is thriving at ATT. He is hitting .302 there with a .900 plus OPS, and his slash numbers are 50-100 points higher at home than on the road. He was off to bad start in May but seems to have righted things last couple days. With Belt out for another month Giants are going to need that big bat in middle order.

Flav, I’ll admit to being skeptical of Hudson and how long he can pitch so effectively. I hope he can stay healthy and continue his early run and he is really great to watch. Couple games this year he has gotten raked after not throwing many pitches (75-ish) and had to be removed because the other team started lining shots off him. Love to see what he could do in post season, backed up by Giants pen and strong LU.

10. willedav said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:21 am

Great finishes to NBA and NHL post seasons upcoming. 3 of original 6 in, and Mtl just eliminated a fourth (sorry Paul) in boston. Final 4 NBA teams well acquainted with each other…hope someone takes out LeBron and co.

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:39 am

Pacers have a decent shot. If they would stop stopping themselves.

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:41 am

Me too Willie . . . Can’t stand the Heat (no pun intended) and hope Wade breaks down physically.

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:45 am

I want to see a Thunder – Pacers final, with OKC winning their first title. Thunder UP!

11. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:41 am

I went back and looked at the Flap on this date last year. The topic on May 16, was WAR and how well “I*ShavedMyBALLS4This????” was doing in Flav’s Fantasy league. Reading the comments from that day it appears that we had a come from behind win against the Rocks. From the topic headings, it also appears that we were starting the slide. Topics like the next days “When Do We Pull The Trigger on Trading For an Established Starting Pitcher?” started coming in hot and heavy. We had a 1-5 roadie and wanted to get Brett Pill in there. By May 20th we had the Freak Out!-O-Meter poll and by the end of the month we were rooting for Chad Gaudin. We did have the inside-the-park walkoff, but man, what a difference a year makes, well that and having hair on the balls.

12. SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:45 am

Flav—you forgot to mention our horrible bench in your lead as well. It IS kind of hilarious that we are doing so well with all of our shortcomings, buy hey, lets ride this wave as long as we can.

FYI-I believe it was Mark Sweeney ( a big-time clubhouse glue-guy) who instituted the snatch of the batting helmet from behind bit.

13. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:09 am

Pete, in regard to your 9:39 am post, I can’t go back to the old Flap when the Pagan trade was made, i.e., this version of the Flap doesn’t go that far back . . . However, I suggest you read this Flap Post by Flavor, where he celebrates Pagan and then scroll down to his comment, which I have included here after the link:

“Flavor said, on May 20, 2012 at 8:12 am (Edit)
    I think you and I are the only regs here who have been behind Pagan for the entire year. But I’d be willing to be wrong about that if I’m forgetting someone.”

There were quite a few Flappers that didn’t like this trade.

• gianthead said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:21 am

Blade, you noted when that Pagan deal went down that I was very happy because of my fantasy love for Pagan as a Met:)

• gianthead said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:41 am

And of course in my two paid leagues this year, I have Pagan in both. Drafted in one and waiver wire in the other….

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:27 am

Steve, the Flap goes back to the trade 12/6/11. I didn’t go into the comments, but the poll asking if we supported the trade was 37 for and 4 against. Here’s the link.

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:44 am

No idea how you did that Clown. I went into the “Dashboard” and could only go back to late 2010. Anywho, this post proves initially that most Flappers were for it per the poll, albeit, the comments are interesting (thanks) . . . However, many bailed as indicated in the subsequent post I provided. Regardless, I think everyone is on board now.

*GH I see where you endorsed it too. :-)

• DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:45 am

There are some brilliant, insightful and humorous comments on that thread. Especially mine.

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:06 am

On the right, above Recent Posts, there is an Archive drop down menu, it goes back to May 2010. Looking back at the comments, I see I was still on the Pill band wagon. Well he did hit .336 with 11 dingers for Kia last year.

• snarkk said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I called it a WTF Not trade in that thread. Hey, that was a pretty good wishy washy call — I can say I approved the hell out of it… ;)

• twinfan1 said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I didn’t like it. No apologies. And no apologies for changing my mind.

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Good to see you here, Michael…you should stop by more often.

14. gianthead said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:16 am

The ease of winning reminds me of the ’93 team (except for that bloody last weekend) and the early 2000s with our man Bonds.

Those first years at ATT with Bonds-Kent tearing it up and Schmidt-Ortiz-Nenn anchoring the staff was a thing of beauty. And the ’93 team of Bonds-Clark-Williams (what a fearsome threesome that was) and Swift-Burkett-Beck anchoring the staff was equally awesome.

You get the felling that those teams would probably crush this Giants team. Of course if they did not have Dusty coaching them:)

15. gianthead said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:29 am

For those back home, isnt this hot weather also helping right now with the long ball? If it is July or August that Morse shot to right may have held up…but he is Mr. Power right now. The Jack Clark reference earlier is dead on…

16. Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:42 am

In regards to Charlie’s (Unca Chuck) post at 8:35 on Morse, I agree. I loved the part last night where Krukow was talking about Morse and they were discussing his propensity to hit a lot to RF, and they said not a lot of RH hitters can poke one out there in the Phone Park. Morse’s answer…”I will.” Love that attitude.

RE: Dirt’s comment on Morse’s stance reminding him of Scoots (9:36)…I have noticed that, and agree. What a great pick-up by Sabean…Morse and Hudson.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:15 am

Who is this Scoots guy everyone is referring to?…oh yeah the one I buried with my shovel. ha ha Just razzing you Chi!!

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Hey Kevin – Fuck You! Just kidding…I know you don’t get many opportunities to get your dig in, so it is all good.

This is all I need to say about Scoots…he will forever be a hero in my book of Giants lore…

• Irish Kevin said, on May 16, 2014 at 2:12 pm

That was a clip of the Theriot?? ha ha ha

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Kevin – get a cup of coffee and wake up. It was SCOOTS getting the hit that scored Theriot…

• twinfan1 said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:55 pm

OK- as the commercial says-if you mess up, fess up.3/8 of the starting line up consists of guys who I said I wouldn’t take if they were free ( Morse, Hicks, and Colvin ). *My* guys are hitting below the Mendoza’s Wife’s Line. On the other hand I aced the bullpen and won the over/under on when Pablo would hit the DL. The line was May 15.5 .I had the over. So leave me alone when Morse hits his 50th. I figure it’s even since I nailed Gutierrez ;-)

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Well, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who face planted on Colvin . . . However, as we both know Twin, the story isn’t complete on him yet (again, I hope I am proved wrong, but he wont continue to impress IMO . . . too many holes in that swing).

17. stickman said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:55 am

This ain’t last season’s team. Top of the third last night and Yahoo feed had us down to the Fish 4-1 with runners in scoring position and i’d seen this Marlin’s movie before. Arduous afternoon outdoors raking and such. A bit beat. Time to go and stay horizontal, i figured.

Didn’t even check the score right away on the PowerBook. Other stuff got first dibs. Got around to MLB sports, see the line “Cain gets first win. Giants power rally” and my first thought was Holy Sheeit!” Second thought was “we got us a monster”. A can’t lose proposition ~well not quite. But i do love the balance. Much digging on the fact that SF is high on the leader boards in most of the more important batting and pitching categories. Then there’s the defense, with Crawdaddy holding regular clinics.

Starting with Flav’s lead you guys have filled in most of the blanks. Chemistry has gone organic, with this cast of characters. They enjoy each other’s company and contributions. Though still scratching my head over some of his lineup arrangements, Bochy is a rock amidst the storm. The can-do, never quit attitude may start from the top or seep up from the likes of Brandon Hicks or El Tiburon Blanco. Then there’s Monster Masher Morse and it all starts at Home Buster along with constant pressure from Crazy Horse Pagan Baby.Cast of characters? Didn’t even mention a single pitcher ~ but you get the drift.

Good start on the series which was looking serious in the top of the Third last night with the appearance of Cain losing it big-time and no Hudson tonight. Vague fears of getting swept at home by the Marlins. Now it has a whole nother look with Matt the Horse having returned to an even keel and that scary lineup pulling the chestnuts outta the fire. Whole different feeling after last night’s game. It’s getting to be something like “who the hell’s gonna stop us?” Fortunately, no trips to Toronto are in the cards this year. Secondly, when it comes to bash downs in the Box of Rox we got the guns to match theirs. And a faaar better bunch of bullies to stifle their bashers if things look to be getting outta hand.

Monster season? Could just happen. These guys know how to win and like the feeling of those rings on their fingers

18. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:12 am

Shit, I am on the floor cracking up on the old Flap posts I cited and Bozo cited. We were all over the map, discussing Pujols, Buerhle, Harry Morgan, Huff, Pill, etc.

These conclusions can be made:

Nipper was hilarious back then.
    We need Twin to post more.
    We should have a “Throwback Flap Post” on a weekly basis ala Zumiee’s Throwback Thursday video. :-)

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:16 am

Under the thread is are links to related posts . . . They are generated by WordPress.

• Chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Absolutely on all counts. Would definitely like to see Twin here more often.

19. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:12 am

Gee, those comments are hysterical. I liked the trade for the fact that we needed more team speed. Torres certainly was fast but was habbled by injuries after the 2010 season, and never really hit for shit after 2010.

20. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:15 am

Stick, I was anything but confident watching Cain yesterday. He was leaving shit up early, and got away (and didn’t) with some high slop. He did start getting his shit down later in the game, and that was great, but early on they were rocketing balls off of him.

21. gianthead said, on May 16, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Chuck, the CLippers f’d me in that 17-1 bet:( So sad gambler….I got 450-1 odds on a Warriors-Nets final:(

22. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 12:57 pm

The new guys, Morse, Hudson, Hicks, and whoever else, in addition to their production on the field, bring an extra hunger to the team to get a World Series ring. In the same way the Giants had Pence, Scutaro, Vogelsong, and whoever else in 2012 that wanted their first ring. “First-timers” bring an extra something to the team chemistry. The guys who already have rings want badly to help their new teammates get one. It’s an infectious spirit that helps bring the team even closer together. We’d like to think that millionaire ballplayers are always giving everything they have on the field, but they’re human beings also, and sometimes people need that extra boost of morale when the going gets really tough. Like that character in the movie “North Dallas Forty,” (maybe the John Matusak character) who says something like: “It’s not just about money….I need some team spirit, too!”

• zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:02 pm

And, of course, the 2010 Giants had a WHOLE lot of “first-timers.” :)

23. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm

The Giants are at .643 and I just had pizza for lunch. Talk about a win/win situation!!

24. SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:27 pm

That thread from 2011 IS pretty damn funny. My only contribution was a lyric from a Cream song, which is kind of like pinch-running and then getting pulled from the game in an epic victory. Anyway, I’m in the box score, so I’ve got that going for me.

@Blade– you know that ain’t me that is posting as “pete”—right? I only post as SanDawg, or occasionally when the mood hits, The Great Mephisto, and I think one time I posted as NoahLowery taking a crack at the Giants medical staff.

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Oh yeah SD . . . I have only noticed Pete posting the last week or so? I’m glad he is here, because his posts are thoughtful. :-)

I think he questioned what I said because he was referencing Giant fans in the entire bay area and not only flappers (which despite that poll, many flappers were vocal about Pagan – both positive and negative).

25. snarkk said, on May 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I heard on radio that this hip “strain” for Hudson is something he’s battled before, even back to the A’s days. Apparently he was out two months with it during one season, don’t know if that was with A’s or Braves. So, we’ll see how it goes…

26. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Twin was certainly in fine form that day . . .

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Yep.

27. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 3:27 pm

NC softshells are in, I gotta get out and get me some before the area floods with tourons next week.

28. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 3:57 pm

“If you had to list off the top 3 reasons for this unexpected start, what would your list look like?”

It’s tough to pick only 3, but here goes:

-Higher homerun pace
    -Defense is improved from last season

And a bonus one: the team has that HUNGER again!

• DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Obviously it’s because we’re ALL TOGETHER – STRONGER TOGETHER…

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Together we are Giants.
      Softshell crabs
      Beer.

29. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Apropos of notning, Mike Sam sure looks like a fool for doing a reality show. It’s all about the football, Mike? Uh, No. It’s all about cashing in. Or something else. Play some football before embarking on this kind of attention. Or even make the team. How ’bout that?

If I’m Jeff Fisher, this would make me seriously think about cutting the guy. Notice that the Cleveland Browns are ‘restricting access’ to Johnny football?

Not that I want this for Sam, but really. How about you make the team before dragging a camera crew around with you? If Sam gets cut, what happens? Oh well. Another career cut short by greed?

I don’t know. Maybe I’m outta line here, but it sure feels like a big self-aggrandizing event brought to you by Oprah. I got the same feeling when Tim Tebow was buying Super Bowl commercials touting his religious views before he ever stepped foot on the field.

• Flavor said, on May 16, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I feel the same way and said so the day he was drafted.

30. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 4:20 pm

All that talk about Brett Butler during the broadcast last night; how did K&K leave this out?:

31. Flavor said, on May 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I didn’t go back and read those old threads you guys referenced but I’ve done that in the past and it’s usually a fun read.Takes ya back to where were all were *then* as Giants fans. Some old faces too, old faces that are long gone.
    Anyway, we’re all right and wrong all the time. I’ve always been a big Colvin fan and have several comments in the archives to prove it. His health has always slowed him down. But Blade’s right, he has a ton of holes in his swing. If I’m gonna rag on Ike Davis for having 700 million moving parts in his swing I shouldn’t let Colvin get away with the same thing.
    But whatever, I like Colvin, always have….

32. wswins said, on May 16, 2014 at 5:48 pm

The reason according to Mitch Williams….it’s an even year!

33. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

“-The starting pitching rotation has been giving the team a chance to win on a mostly regular basis.”

I nominate the bench players, who have provided just enough of a breather to the starting position players to enable them to hit 47 bombs.

• zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Maybe I’m looking at the starting pitching through rose-colored glasses, but as a unit, I’m liking them. Timmy and Vogey actually aren’t sucking every time out there, like they might have.
      Cainer struggled early last night, but battled throughout, and got the win. His stats aren’t great, but I liked his ability to hang in there last night, and, yes, give his team a chance to win. :)
      I like watching these guys pitch. They struggle sometimes, but they’re entertaining to watch. Some of them are the proverbial box of chocolates, you don’t know what you’re going to get that day, but all this stuff, ultimately, is entertainment. I’m looking forward to Petit’s start tonight. What will we get? The good stuff or the bad stuff? Who knows? The wondering is part of the deal.

• zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm

And I believe we can win a World Series with this starting rotation. They have to pitch up to perceived capabilities, but we’re seeing flashes of that.

• James said, on May 16, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I agree, Zumie, there is certainly no lack of narrative interest. But the line between exasperation and disappointment is as tenuous Jean Machi’s current ERA.

The amount of sheer misperception this crew of under performers has generated demands that my lonely, brave voice of reason point out just how shitty they are at every opportunity :-)

34. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm

wOBA vs. OPS . . . One story from the game I attended in LA. The friends we went with are not real big baseball fans, which kinda limits the friendly antagonistic fun you can have. Instead, you wind up talking about things like the positive qualities of the ballpark.

I noticed that the LA scoreboard — unlike ATT — actually posts the players’ OPSs. Right as I was pointing this out, I realized that I would inevitably be asked “What does OPS stand for?” I also realized that I had not a fucking clue how to answer. Before the question could be asked, I explained in quick succession that OPS was the total of two other statistics blah blah, and then moved on to the next topic.

35. Macdog said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:18 pm

That didn’t take long.

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I barely got seated.

36. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Pablo.

37. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Local bay area folks – what channel is the game on? I am on Direct TV . . . Thanks.

38. Flavor said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:49 pm

NBC

39. Flavor said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm

try “3”

40. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Ahh. Thanks James and Flavor! :-)

41. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Actually close enough . . . It was on 11. LOL

42. Flavor said, on May 16, 2014 at 7:57 pm

San Diego is busy getting 1 hit by shitty De laRosa in Colorado and they’re in the 8th inning. Seriously, they need to blow those hitters up

43. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Petit is always around the plate and doesn’t seem to pitch inside very much. Hitters get too comfortable with that. Once in a while you gotta move a guy back.

• Flavor said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm

conversely, Henderson Alvarez (um, who has a first name of *Henderson*?) throws 95 and his pitches don’t miss too many bats.
      So, just another solid point to consider……

• James said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:19 pm

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Only James would cite the percentage of babies rocking the name “Henderson.” Apparently, the name’s use reached a high water mark of approximately .023% in 1883 per Jame’s baby naming site.

44. Macdog said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Forget Stanton, maybe the Giants should pitch around Dietrich.

45. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Fuck Brett Butler, he was one of very few players I didn’t like as a Giant.

46. paulinasia said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:14 pm

7 of the G’s 9 outs so far by ground-outs. What’s the weather like? Seems like Marlin hitters are getting some (long) lift on some of their hits. G’s might want to try to do more of the same.

• blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Cooled off Paul from the day before yesterday (where there was a heat wave).

47. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Panda, doubling up.

48. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Panda doesn’t really “slide” head first. He kind of splatters…

49. chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Need to cash in with a couple of runs this inning…

50. chipower9 said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:30 pm

And there is the Colvin that Blade has mentioned…

• James said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:36 pm

He is a hacker.

51. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Pagan is the best head first slider I’ve ever seen. Like I’ve said many times, he actually seems to pick up speed when he hits the ground, which is physically impossible. They used to say the same thing about ground balls on Astro-turf.

52. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm

WTG Hicks.

53. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I know it’s a cheap laugh, but “as much sink as anyone in the National League East” deserves a shout out.

54. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Every time I hear the name “Barksdale,” I think of this guy:

• zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Awesome show. I consider “The Wire” and “Breaking Bad” to be the two best TV dramas that I’ve seen. There are shows out there that I haven’t seen.

55. SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Brett Butler follow-up:
    I was at a game down here while I was in college and Butler was on the Giants. I had great seats a few rows behind the Giants dugout. At one point Butler was jogging in at the end of the inning. As he approached the dugout, he spit out a big wad of gum and kicked it over my head into the stands. Then, when he left the Giants for the Dodgers, he announced he “always wanted to be a Dodger.”
    I don’t like the guy either.

Kuip just made a good call, comparing Yelich to Von Hayes.

• DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:53 pm

No matter what the sport, you almost never hear white guys compared to black guys. Biggest example is NFL quarterbacks. A notable exception from the past was Mays and Mantle.

• James said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:59 pm

“Thug” Butler.

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:16 pm

He tried to sue Brett Butler the comedian to not use their shared name because he didn’t like her humor. On his radio show, he’d talk about the devil being in the Giants bats when they were in a slump and yeah, he made that big deal about always wanting to be a Dodger. And now, I hear that he attacked you with gum? Fuck Brett Butler and his tiny shoes.

• Macdog said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Plus he made the last out of the ’89 World Series.

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Good call Mac. Fuck him.

56. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm

The Huddy injury bit the Giants tonight. Petit’s very hittable tonight.

57. paulinasia said, on May 16, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Always frustrating when the G’s score and then the pitcher gives one right back the next inning. Always erases such frustration if the G’s can counter that now…..

58. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Twice we’ve been deprived of seeing the Saltalamacchia Swipe.

59. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm

The Dodgers are giving their usual whipping to the Diamondbacks. The D-Backs are pathetic this season.

60. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Speaking of TV series and inverted given names, wouldn’t it have been cool if Jerrod’s parents had christened him Baccala Saltalamacchia?

61. SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Yelich = Dexter Fowler?

• zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Remember when the Kings’ Jason Williams was being called “White Chocolate” and the Kings squelched that? I thought White Chocolate was a pretty cool name. I didn’t see it as offensive, and I’m guessing black people were probably amused by it. But the Kings got nervous about it.

62. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Fleming’s definition of a “stressful inning” is any base runner with less than 2 out…

63. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Weird facts:
    The Dodgers are paying Andruw Jones $3.2 million this season. And the Red Sox are paying the Dodgers $3.8 million this season.

64. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm

That image of Duvall looks like he’s snapping off a curveball.

65. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Colvin looks a little like Chevy Chase.

66. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Was that a pumpkin loosening up in the Giant bullpen?

67. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Make em pay, Gregor.

68. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Yeah baby.

69. zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Blanco, I take back every friggin’ thing I said about you!!

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm

No shit. Mi compadre’s been on a roll last couple days. Good to see . . . Let’s hear it for the bench!!!

Yeah, I bumped into Brett Butler while he was still a Giant. Tiny little guy. Never liked him either. All those fucking years on the Braves and TBS, Skip Carey. Blaaaaaaaaaaah!

70. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I really hope I didn’t curse Machi . . . .

71. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Way to boost that UZR!

72. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Hell of a catch. WTG Pagan.

73. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Pagan was born to be a San Francisco Giant.

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm

And you knew it all along. Way to go, Mr. Loo.

74. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Clubhouse cancer, indeed.

75. SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:38 pm

My daughter, who is 14 and doesn’t pay much attention to baseball, acts like Pagan is far and away the best player on the team—which cracks me up– and I do nothing to discourage her thinking.

• zumiee said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I’ve been told he’s dreamy.

• SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Yeah, that might have something to do with it.

76. SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Bochy Loves Machi!

77. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm

• SanDawg said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:49 pm

The vocals are a little harsh, but I can appreciate that groove.

Now I remember why I stayed out of the fray after the Crazy Horse trade. I had never heard of him before the trade. Now that I’m playing Fantasy bball, I’m getting my chops back as far as knowing everyone’s roster. If we swing a trade for Trevor Ploufe or Yan Gomes, I’ll have some strong opinions to share.

• paulinasia said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Trevor Ploufe….. funny, SanDawg… :-)

• unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Trevor Ploufe? Latter day Yhamid Saad?

78. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Ump lost the strike zone there.

79. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Oh yeah, a little double play action.

80. snarkk said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Casilla saving Affeldt’s bacon on that one…

• DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hopefully he’ll slice it for him also.

• James said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:09 pm

It’s separating the frozen slices that might present a challenge for Jeremy.

81. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Now that we are in the Creek, there’s a radio station (college station?) 90.5 the edge that plays nothing but speed thrash metal just like this. Kinda fun to crank this while stuck in traffic at 7:30 in the morning.

Nice recovery by Casilla

82. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Wow. Umps usually expand the strike zone the later the games go.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Nice play

83. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I’m calling unassisted triple play…

84. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Fuuuuck.

85. James said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Casilla’s 0.81 ERA went up tonight.

• Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Hopefully it doesn’t get worse.

86. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Damn, I hate the Marlins.

87. snarkk said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Rare bad efforts from the Pen. Marlins are 4-16 on the road — how?…

88. DJLoo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm

If Adrianza’s leading off, what was the point of the double switch?

• snarkk said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:28 pm

And, Bochy hit Hector for him. (Sound of head scratching…)

89. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Crawfish with a coupe doinks tonight. Not sure if he would have gotten him anyway . . .

90. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:27 pm

pinch runner?

91. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Scheist . . .

92. Bozo said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Get em tomorrow, Giants.

93. snarkk said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Marlins play like the ’27 Yanks at ATT…

94. paulinasia said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Yep, can’t win ‘em all. Scoreboard watching: 6 shut-outs tonight (if Rays close it out in LA), all lost by the home team. Including D-backs, who have still amazingly won only 4 games at home this year. G’s came back from another deficit but couldn’t close it out. Need to stop giving up 4 runs in the early innings. Tomorrow….

95. blade3colorado said, on May 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Hard fought game. Bullpen was bound to bend eventually . . . Tomorrow’s another day. :-)

96. willedav said, on May 16, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Marlins hit the ball pretty hard tonite, esp top of the order. Giants couldn’t get salty out either, and I thought he had been in a big slump. Giants hit their share of shots too (Pablo had a couple and scored off the sac fly), just not quite enough of them at right times. Good ballgame, lot of action and exciting plays. Helluva grab by Pagan who went a long ways to get that one.

Miami is building something, tho. Appear to have guys in front of Stanton to get on for him and if they ever find someone to hit behind him, look out. Cishek is kinda like Romo, very effective if funky and unconventional. They have other young pitchers that throw hard, and of course the ace kid who has to have TJ.

Gotta hope Hudson returns soon, and TL and vogs (gulp) don’t tax the pen. Should be good series this weekend.

97. blade3colorado said, on May 17, 2014 at 8:30 am

Pissed off. MLB sends me an email with a video link to Stanton’s catch in right field (no doubt a good catch), but in this frickin’ email, no mention of Pagan’s waaaaaaaaaaaay better catch in center. Go figure . . .

• DJLoo said, on May 17, 2014 at 8:41 am

Don’t let it spoil your day. Something else usually comes along that’ll do it.

• blade3colorado said, on May 17, 2014 at 8:53 am

Loo, on the “scale of disappointment,” Pagan’s video highlight not being included in the MLB email ranks about 247 spots lower then not getting this hot chick’s phone number I saw this morning while walking my mom’s dogs at the park.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers