Why is This a Big Deal?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 20, 2014

Can anyone explain to me what the big deal is with 3 guys being named “Brandon” on the same team? Marty Lurie invites callers to “weigh in” on this stupid topic all the time. Callers like to debate the “odds” of this happening and I get a kick out of there being such a wide range of odds set by the callers on this chance encounter. Now Alex Pavlovic  is writing a story about it at his blog today. I don’t get the interest. It’s not like they’re named “DickSucker” or something truly unique. I know lots of guys named “Brandon”. It’s a normal name sans controversy. Anyway, I don’t get it. Maybe these guys do:

brandonpower

__________________________

On to more important things. Colorado. The stadium the Sherpa’s built. Tonight two lefties face off, one of them good (ours) and one of them not very good (theirs). As usual in Colorado, I have no feel or idea for what’s in store. Predictions?

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:28 am

Flavor, I have to mention this, since you have Marty Lurie in your opening monologue . . . My cousin, Greg had dinner with Marty Lurie last night. Snarkk, myself, and possibly Willie are going to the San Jose Giants game this Friday and my cuz knows this ball park (as well as the Phone Park and Candlestick Park) like the back of his hand. Specifically, I had questions about directions/access to the stadium, parking, a good place to meet friends, food, etc. He wrote this email to me:

“Hi Steve,

Sorry I couldn’t call you since I just got home from having dinner with Marty Lurie in SF at Original Joe’s.
    I had answered a trivia question about a month ago for the chance to have dinner with Marty.
    I ended up going with Steven, the guy who I coach with (you were my next choice if he couldn’t make it).
    Dinner was held in a private room with about 15 of us telling SF Giant stories. Unfortunately, I/we will not be able to join you on Friday. (his daughter redacted) has softball practice from 5-7pm. Thanks for the invite!

How long are you in town for? I would definitely want to have you over for dinner or go to a ballgame before you leave.

Love,

Greg”

No, I don’t know if “Beer Can” was in attendance. Yes, I am pissed I didn’t get to go (especially, if the lovely “Beer Can” was in attendance).

• Flavor said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:47 am

that’s awesome! I’ve heard about that contest, they seem to run lots of trivia questions for it. Sounds like he had a great time.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

Flav, I haven’t spoken with him yet, but I know he probably enjoyed it. He had dinner with Jeff Kent and other old timers about a month ago. My cuz has KNBR on speed dial for these contests. I would say 75-80% of his ball game tickets are via contests that he has won (and he plays just about all of them). One season, he won a contest to either Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe for a vacation. I also have to mention this, his daughter is a great softball player and I am hoping she gets a college scholarship (she’s that good) after she graduates high school.

• Flavor said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:17 am

It’s nice to know those contests aren’t rigged. I always wondered that

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:11 am

Just spoke to my cousin and yes, Beer Can was there. He agrees that she is hot! LOL.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:17 am

That is an awesome story blade.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

Thanks Dirt and Chi . . . Greg wanted to know the web URL of the Flap, so I know he appreciates the comments!

• Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:51 am

Cool-ass story…

2. WilcoJoe said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:27 am

That’s pretty cool Blade. Most of you probably remember the “Team KNBR” promo that they ran during the nineties. If you signed up, you were automatically entered into all kinds of contests. One morning during the Frank and Mike show, they called out my buddies name, in which he had ten minutes to call back and claim his prize. I woke him up (it was like 7am) and told him to call the number. Low and behold he won a trip for two to Atlantic City for a boxing match at Trump Plaza. We both were nineteen and had a blast on that trip. I can’t even remember the title fighters, one was a white guy who had won a gold in the Olympics in 94 I think…The previous year Pete Franklin called out my dad’s name and he ended up winning a baseball signed by the 1993 Giants. Though he got “flushed” by Pete when asked what he thought of the prize and my dad said he didn’t even know what he had just won :)

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:34 am

That is awesome WJ! I have never been to Atlantic city and I would love to visit, especially to see a boxing match. Cool story about your dad too!

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:27 am

good story.

• Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:52 am

Great story…and I do remember Pete flushing folks…”Flush the Bum!”

3. sarge said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:39 am

that is awesome! The only thing i ever won in one of those contests was a pair of tickets to see The Roots back in ’99 from kmel. Don’t think there are too many hip-hop flappers on here…..as far as the game is concerned, I predict another Zits shutout (insert gay ass smiley face)…btw hey guys

• Irish Kevin said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:44 am

KMEL a hip hop station? Say it aint so!! It was a Rock station in the 60’s and 70’s.

4. willedav said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:03 am

Rox O has been great, with tulo and Blackmon at top of BA leaders with Morneau not far behind, and the Arenado kid had that long hit streak. Pagan, btw, is currently 8th at .321. Rosario usually hurts SF, but often gives it back with his D.
    Loo brought up Nate without a bomb yet…if Tulowitzki (currently at .393) went on a Nate like 4-40 slump, he’d still be hitting over .300. He is also league leader with 13 HRs in 42 games, a pace that would mean 40 +. These numbers aren’t sustainable, so it’s about time SF got his slump started along with few others.

Blade, from Fair Oaks on 101 I’d take 87 exit for the Airport to 280 south. At that point on 280 you can stay to the right and hit 7th street exit which comes up right away. Take a right at 7th and you’re 5 minutes from the park. 280 is f-ed up that time of day and I’d avoid it if possible; 101 is too but you won’t be on it for long.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:09 am

Thanks Willie. Just got off the phone with my cuz and he endorsed 280 as well. Question – Do you think I should back track to 85 from 101 and access 280?

• willedav said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:41 am

Nah, 85 south sucks. I’d stay on 101 to the Hwy 87 SJ airport exit and from there I think it’s relatively smooth sailing.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:47 am

Fantastic! What time do you and snarkk want to meet there? I’m easy as far as the time goes. My cuz said there is only one entrance into the stadium, so meet outside there before buying tickets? Parking is out beyond the outfield and he said it costs about $5. Let me know what works best for you guys . . .

5. pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:15 am

Wow, that is very cool, Steve. You’re right, “Beer Can” would have provided a tall glass of Good Lookin’ but may’ve distracted the congregants, and they may have therefore committed a verbal faux pas or two, as Archie Bunker did when Sammy Davis Jr. came to his house (“would you like some sugar with that eye?”).

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:21 am

Pawlie, my cousin asked about you, e.g., spelling of your name and name of your books . . . I think you just rang up a couple of sales on 2 of your baseball books. Smiles.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:26 am

Deep bow. How is he related to Aunt Mary, if at all?

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:28 am

Nephew to her. He lives in Santa Clara near Troy Tulowitski’s dad and is on a first name basis with him.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:30 am

No, I am actually in the SF bay area (Sunnyvale). I am going to the SJ Giants minor league game with Willie and snarkk on Friday though. Pawlie, I wont return home until next Tuesday (so the Giants match up is out).

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:41 am

I should learn how to pay attention better.

6. pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:16 am

Whatever we predict for the game tonight will be predictably unpredictable in a predictable way, give or take. Surprises will abound.

7. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:18 am

Heard on KNBR that Tulo is hitting .571 at Coors so far. Kruk semi-alleged that that kind of average is not possible this far into the season without getting the signs. Could be a cheating controversy now, instituted by Kruk. BTW blade, how far into the season before Tulo pulls a groin or something?…

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:23 am

I am praying this happens for tonight (albeit, I don’t wish permanent damage to anyone, especially a Fremont High alumnus).

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:28 am

Are you going to the game? I’ve said before, I’d not be opposed to a Flapalooza in Denver.

• Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:37 am

Tulo has openly panned on the Giants…him having “dislike” for them would be putting it mildly. I get it that he is a local guy, but if he has that much disdain for a local club (OUR Giants)…fuck him. I could give a shit less what happens to his sorry ass.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:19 am

Wait, so you’re saying there are a bunch of players named Brandon on the big club? A good contest would be a caption for the pic in the lead. Thunder Cats Are Gooooo!?!?

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:22 am

Isn’t every other boy child now named Brandon?…

9. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:21 am

Rockies team BA is .299, second in NL is Miami with .263. How does one team hit 36 points higher than the second place team? Is there another humidor controversy brewing?…

• Irish Kevin said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:49 am

Is there somewhere that breaks down there home BA vs their away BA? just wondering.

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:03 am

Click on the “select split” button to toggle home vs away stats…

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

Baseball reference site I think does Kevin. The disparity is unbelievable, e.g., as snarkk points out – Tulo is batting .571 at Coors . . . Away? He is batting .255. Meh. I get in arguments all the time with Sherpa fans who say the altitude has a minimal effect on stats. I usually respond, “What cave did you just exit from?” They are totally delusional about anything having to do with altitude.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:24 am

By the by, Arenado and Rutledge (who doesn’t play much) are 2 of only a few players in Colorado that have better road stats then away. An anomaly.

• zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:33 am

It would be a joke if Helton made the Hall of Fame. I know he has some good road numbers, too. But still. There’s no way he didn’t benefit greatly from the thin air of the ballpark.

10. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:38 am

Tulo’s OPS at Coors is 1.705…

11. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:30 am

“Kruk semi-alleged that that kind of average is not possible this far into the season without getting the signs.”
    Ah, Krukow and his sign-stealing obsession. Even Kuiper has started laughing about it during the broadcasts. Krukow is kind of intriguing in this regard. How much of his act is just an act? All this supposed insider knowledge about each umpire, that you never hear anyone in MLB talking about. Where does he get that information? Has he ever said? And his “so and so takes 3.4 seconds to get to second, and catcher so and so takes 1.3 seconds to throw to second.” Where does he get those numbers? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Kuiper chuckle about that a time or two.
    —-
    Regarding the humidor…..one of the many great moments of 2010 was when the Giants challenged the league on whether anyone was monitoring the Rockies’ use of the humidor, and it turns out the league had total egg on its face; no outside monitor was keeping a watch on what the Rockies were doing. Lincecum challenged it during a game, and the Giants challenged it after the game, and the Rockies suddenly had a league monitor. And “coincidentally” the Rockies’ went into a tailspin that they’ve only recently been coming out of.

• zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:31 am

It COULD have been a coincidence. But it just LOOKED bad.

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:46 am

zum, I don’t know, but wouldn’t be surprised that Fangraphs or some site somewhere has info on every pitchers average time from stretch move to plate to ball in catcher’s glove, and catchers’ average “unload” time to second on steals. They’ve got just about everything else these days…

• James said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:52 am

It would be amusing to check Kruk’s evals of individual umps for consistency over the years.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:59 am

I think I have seen Kruk with a stop watch in the booth from time to time so maybe he is doing his own timing on the pitch delivery. Who knows?

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

He could be timing how long it takes Kuip to chow down a Brat with kraut while broadcasting…

12. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:36 am

Is the league still monitoring the humidor, and which balls come out of there? If the league has gone lax on that, it’s a legitimate issue to be raised by other teams.

13. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:57 am

Rosario’s batting average is .417 (5-for-12) vs. Bumgarner since last season. Arenado is slugging .500 in 14 ABs against Bum since last season. Tulo also has a .500 slugging % in 12 ABs against Bum.

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:21 am

blade, the Thai army just declared martial law in Bangkok, and has taken over the city.
      Any real impact on anything over there?…

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:27 am

Really? I hadn’t heard the latest . . . Paul was there before this latest clash and he indicated it wasn’t a big issue, especially in the tourist areas. However, this is different and I would imagine that tourists are staying away. That being said, I would love to hear Paul’s take on what is going on . . .

• DJLoo said, on May 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Has Nixon gotten us out of Cambodia yet?

14. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

Just my take, but I agree with Zumiee regarding the Humidor. I recall the incident where the Giants questioned it’s use and asked about whether it was being monitored. Sherpas were resentful of this (and embarrassed as Zum pointed out). Fuck them. I’ve always maintained that baseball shouldn’t be played there and if they are going to play there, then GET RID OF THAT FRICKIN’ CIGAR HOUSING.” In my opinion, drying out the baseballs is the same thing as a pitcher using a spitball.

I also agree that Todd Helton does NOT deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. His .287 away BA is run of the mill compared to his home .345 BA. Next . . . By the by Chi – Regarding Tulo, he HATES all teams that he competes against. Ironically, fans in Colorado – who are very laid back – dislike him for speaking his mind. Personally, I am sort of fiery too when it comes to competing (I will run over your grandmother if it means a score in football, basketball, baseball or tiddly winks), so I admire guys like him and Pedroia of the Red Sox. Same deal with Pence – I wish all players would show their appreciation of playing baseball by running out every fucking grounder to short or 2nd. Very few show that passion. Anywho, I like Tulo . . . except, as you said, when he is competing against the Giants.

• Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:12 am

I’ll tip my cap to his talent as a ball player, but it ends there for me with an emphatic FUCK YOU, TULO!

15. Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:09 am

Blade mentioned Tulo’s stats (home/away) at 9:21. Here’s the breakdown home/away for the team:

Home: .352 / .396 / .585 / .981

Away: 251 / .299 / .411 / .711

So, in that same post, Blade mentions the Sherpa fans not seeing how the altitude can make a difference. I think these numbers shine just a “tad bit” of light on the topic (100 points lower in road average and OBP, almost 200 points lower in SLG, and almost 300 points lower in OPS. Yeah right…the altitude doesn’t play into it at all.

I would be curiuos to know the answer about whether or not the humidor is being monitored by someone other than a Sherpa lacky (I say, I say…there’s a rooster in my hen house)…

16. Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:20 am

Rox are 15-6 at Coors, 2nd only to the Marlins for best home record in all of MLB. So yeah, when the Rox are feeling good about themselves — and they clearly are — there’s probably no tougher place to play. I’m always satisfied when the Giants escape that altitude-aided bandbox with one win. Strange, too, how the Giants, with the season a little more than a quarter of the way through, will have already made two visits each to Denver and L.A.

Cool stories from Blade and Wilco. Blade, if you’re ever coming all the way to Jersey, Cape May and Wildwood are much better options than A.C., unless you’re hell-bent on gambling and boxing. Although you could probably see a much better fight for free any weekend summer night in Wildwood.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:35 am

Good info (especially about Wildwood . . . LOL). :-)

17. Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:00 pm

As for the three Brandons: Better that than three Armandos.

18. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Speaking of Brandons….great diving catch by Brandon Phillips yesterday to save the game for the Reds. Hamilton made a great diving catch in centerfield to save the game, also. With no Giants game yesterday, the MLB package delivered a good substitute game.
    By the time the extra inning game was over, the ballpark had almost completely emptied out.

• zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:12 pm

In the past, I’ve said that diving catches by good hitters generally aren’t worth it in the long run (a la Pagan’s injury), but obviously that’s a hard thing to think of at the time. The player is just thinking “I’ve got to make the play.” But, in general, players need to be wise about it. Blanco diving is different than Pagan diving.

19. Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Short video by Tim Kurkjian on Bochy’s big head: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10942009

• zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:19 pm

• WilcoJoe said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm

That’s great.

• Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm

New rock band…Big Head Bochy and the Bay City Bombers…

20. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I’ve been reading Donna Tartt’s excellent novel “The Goldfinch.” Here’s another book to add to my baseball reading list. It was published this month:

• unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Whoever wrote the blurb for the book has the Cleveland Indians winning the 1954 world series. . .

Doh!

21. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Winning tonight just got tougher. No Pagan and no Posey in the lineup. No word on what’s keeping Posey out of the lineup.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 20, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Yeast infection? I kid, I kid.

• WilcoJoe said, on May 20, 2014 at 2:35 pm

• zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 2:37 pm

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Frickin’ fantastic . . . I had a friend visit me from Sacramento and I wasn’t able to take advantage of this early red flag from Zumiee. Instead, I have Posey starting on 2 Fan Duel tournaments, so I’m screwed royally before the games have barely started.

22. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Nerve irritation for Posey in his back. Day to day . . . Which means a month?

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm

It’s all those swipe tags…

23. Chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

News on Posey, and also Hudson (says he is ready to go Thursday), plus the line-up…

24. salty said, on May 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Colvin Blanco and Sanchez vs Pagan Belt and Posey? No problem. Could see a big game from the scrubs.

25. salty said, on May 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Fortunately Morales is a Rh.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Umm . . . Last I checked Salty, he was a lefty.

26. paulinasia said, on May 20, 2014 at 3:52 pm

As for the Brandon thing, yeah, no biggee, but I do think the double play bit of Brandon to Brandon to Brandon is kinda cool. As for the situation in Thailand, the Thai Army supports the anti-government Yellow Shirts, while the Bangkok Police support the current Red Shirts government. Seems like the Army is just deciding enough already with the protests, we’re going to shut them all down. You could visit Bangkok and walk around freely and would hardly notice. The key thing worth watching will be if this new martial law order is a precursor to the Army declaring another coup to oust the current gov’t… which would only bring the Red Shirts back out in full force, and that’s when it could get nasty. I’m glad I got there a few weekends ago. I think I’ll stay away until Fall, as these next few months could get testy again. Their political situation is completely fucked up. Too bad, I love the Thai people.

27. DJLoo said, on May 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Not as cool as 3 outfielders named “DickSucker”…

• unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Kinda puts the all Gary outfield to shame . . .

• unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Although, at a previous job I did work with Bruce and Brenda Cobbledick.

28. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

So, the Giants are down to two guys on the bench (Arias and Adrianza). I’m sorry I jinxed it last week by mentioning after Belt’s thumb what would happen if any of the regulars go down? This better not be a barn burner game, else Bochy’s gonna run out of double switches pretty fast with only two bench dudes available. Bum should be on PH duty tonight…

29. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 5:46 pm

More strangeness in the Dodger organization. One of the all-time dugout fights:

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Olivo can say bye bye. Umm, let’s see – do we keep the one eared prospect or the 35 year old has been?

• zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, definitely not a good career move for Olivo.

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I believe firmly that there is no steroid or HGH use in the minor leagues…

30. zumiee said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Just what we all predicted: a pitchers’ duel. :)

31. pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Let’s go, Mets.

32. pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:49 pm

How many teams has Randy Wolf been on? 13? Some name, too.

33. Flavor said, on May 20, 2014 at 6:57 pm

just catching up on the game now. I’m fairly certain Belt would have done a better job than Morse on that bunt/throw to first base. Not certain, but pretty sure. #Morsecan’tplayfirstbase

34. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:01 pm

MadBum may be the second most dangerous hitter in this lineup tonight. So far, nobody looks too dangerous…

35. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Lakers got the 7th pick in the NBA draft, Cleveland got the first pick for the 3rd time in 4 years. Somebody must have mixed up the envelope to put in the freezer…

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Or? Making it more attractive for LeBron to opt out and go back to Cleveland after this year’s finals? I just read that Cleveland had < 2% chance of getting the first pick this year…

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:20 pm

My exact thoughts. By the by, did you and Willie see my earlier post at 8:47am about the game Friday?

36. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Bum had the green light at 3-0 with guys on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Maybe Blanco can do something…

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:13 pm

He DID do something! Clutch triple for Blanco and 2 RBIs…

37. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Blanco comes through.

38. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Eat that Tulo.

39. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Pence with the speed and infield hit — nice RBI there…

40. pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm

The White Shark strikes!!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I like him, rooting for him.

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I like him, I don’t like his .135 BA…

41. pawliekokonuts said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Tanaka Human; Losing to Cubs.

42. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Waaa waaa waaa . . . Fuck Cuddyer.

43. sandy said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm

The LH bat’s lead the way. Like I said earlier, good thing Morales is a Rhp. ;)

44. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Well, hitting Tulo saved a coupla pitches to walk him…

45. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Alright Bum.

46. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm

So the Dodger problems hit AAA Albuquerque now, Miguel Olivo bit part of Alex Guerrero’s ear off. Wow.

47. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:48 pm

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Protest the frickin’ play dammit!

48. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Unbelievable luck . . . At Coors Launching Pad, that type of inning typically turns into a 5 spot for the Sherpas. :-)

49. James said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I’m a pussy Berkeley left-winger, but I do love the fact that MadBum can stomp the shit out of anyone else.

50. James said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Machi teasing the rest of the staff by stranding the runners *he* put on base.

51. DJLoo said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm

They used to call that getting “lowbridged”
    Hope Petit’s watching…

52. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Colvin with a great at bat. Yes.

53. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Colvin! Revenge of the ex-Sherpa!!!

54. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:57 pm

All right, the Social Security eligible pitcher doesn’t get over on us . . . LOL

55. Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Colvin in the clutch!

56. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Why didn’t Colvin get 3rd?

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:01 pm

No shit. Tulo must have shown him his pay stub, while telling him who he was.

57. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Close it out, Mr. Romo.

58. DJLoo said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Buckle up….

59. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Romoromoromo. Not a good start.

60. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Fuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrk

61. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:11 pm

2 inches…..

62. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Mistake there.

63. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Romo’s hanging shit…

64. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Down and away

65. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:15 pm

You gotta be kidding me.

66. DJLoo said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:16 pm

You could see it coming.

67. Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:16 pm

That about sums up my sports day.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:20 pm

You’re not the lone ranger Mac . . . Also, sums up my activity in the stock market today. Fuck!

• Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm

My daughter’s HS softball team blew an 8-0 lead in the final inning and lost 10-8.

• blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Damn . . . Sorry to hear that. How’s she doing?

• Macdog said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:26 pm

She’s fine. Soccer’s her main sport anyway.

68. Bozo said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Well that sucked.

69. sportdude said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Kept willing him to throw it further outside. Nope. Bozo summed it up. That sucked

70. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Don’t know why he even got near the strike zone. Ahhhhh fuck.

71. blade3colorado said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Three times he threw his slider in the strike zone and on numero 3, Arenado did not miss.

72. James said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Well, there’s still time to watch an obscure, but satisfying, low budget 75 minute 1950’s flick before retiring tonight.

73. unca_chuck said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm

The Blob?

Not feeling good about Matty tomorrow. He’s hanging shit at sea level.

74. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Bochy might consider that Romo’s slider doesn’t slide much at 5280 feet. If you keep throwing frisbees in the zone, one of ‘em is going to get hit. That last one was right over the plate middle in with a neon “hit-me” sign. I’d put Machi or Casilla in to close at this altitude…

75. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I didn’t see that bottom 9th possible double play that Hicks apparently did not throw well to Crawford, so Crawford didn’t throw to first. Was that a doable DP, and Hicks botched it? If they make the DP, they win…

• chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I didn’t think that Hicks could have gotten it to Craw any quicker, or quick enough to turn the DP…

• snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Thanks Chi…

76. snarkk said, on May 20, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Posey and Pagan may not play tomorrow, either. Not good when facing these mashers…

77. chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Tough loss…but Romo does not do that often. He is second in MLB in saves and only two blown opportunities. I disagree on going with someone else…I would trot Romo out there if he was available every time….

78. chipower9 said, on May 20, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Get ‘em tomorrow…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers