A *Long* Loss

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 21, 2014

Bummer ending to what should have been a great win. Tyler Colvin sticks it to his old team in the top of the 9th, then Romo blows the lead and the game in the bottom of the 9th. I don’t know why, but it feels like a loss at Coors Field, especially a close one like last night, counts as more than one loss. Each game, in fact, feels like 2 or 3 games, right? Constant lead changes, a parade of pitchers, a huge outfield and just looooong games….

Weather in the forecast today, and with scattered thunderstorms (and possible lightning) I suppose we might have to own last night’s loss for an extra day. Seems SOP for Coors Field……

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:56 am

I’m not too worried about this series. Rockies still have a BAD pitching rotation and bullpen. Similarly, let’s see how they play away and not in the launching pad that Coors Field represents . . . Dollars to donuts, they fall apart like a cheap suit a bit after the All Star break and the real nemesis – the Dodgers make their presence known.

Like I said the other day – we win one out of three here, I will be satisfied. Especially in lieu of the fact, that we are undermanned (Pagan and Posey out) and Hudson coming back from injury at Sherpa Mountain. Oh, the baseball gods are so unfair. Grin. Anywho, the Rockies seem to be enjoying themselves. Check out the Cargo photo of him celebrating . . . Fuel for us Flappers. LOL

• stickman said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:12 am

Well taken, Steve. No blame, no shame on last night’s game. Even without our two ~ make it three with BB9~ most productive hitters the Giants went mano a mano with Colorado in the Box of Rox. Bumgarner was masterful vs Tulo with ducks on the pond. Machi bent bud did not break. Casilla was nails. Romo proved human is his second of what is it, 15 or 16 save opportunities. Your P.O.V. on one out of three vs the Rox is also in accord with my own. Afraid of flyball pitcher like Cain in this venue. An extreme groundball pitcher like Huddy should be okay.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:22 am

“Afraid of flyball pitcher like Cain in this venue. An extreme groundball pitcher like Huddy should be okay.”

Agree Stick . . . Looks like Hudson’s game offers us the best chance for a win. Nice summary/take as well (on last night’s game). :-)

2. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

I agree…not worried about the sherpas. That’s baseball. Lots of chatter this morning about whether or not someone besides Romo should close at Mt. Sherpa. I said last night (end of last thread) that I would trot Romo out there every time if he was available. On the drive this morning, the following was shared on KNBR: sherpas 1 for 9 with 3 Ks against Romo in Denver last year, and Romo 3 for 3 in save opportunities. Romo had ownage on Arenado going into that AB. Fuck it…dust if off, strap it on, and go get a win today.

I agree with Blade…not too worried about the Rox, but I do feel it important (especially when playing in-division) to get at least one win in a 3 game series. That swing game (diff between 1-2 and 0-3) is a two game swing in the standings).

I posted the home/road splits for the sherpas yesterday (batting):

Home: .352 / .396 / .585 / .981
    Away: 251 / .299 / .411 / .711

Here are the pitching splits:

While there is not a lot of difference in ERA and WHIP, the W/L split is difinitive…

Home: 16-6, ERA: 4.07, WHIP 1.37
    Away: 10-14, ERA: 4.11, WHIP 1.27

3. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:48 am

Giants splits:

W/L: Home – 14-8, Away 14-10

Batting:
    Home: .258, .323, .412, .734
    Away: .234, .304, .394, .699

Not setting the world on fire either way, but I did mention a few threads ago that the Giants lead the league in RBIs with 2 out and RISP. So, their overall stats may not jump out at you, but they have been killer in the clutch.

4. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:52 am

Off topic, but a big deal here in NorCal – Sacramento City Council voted unanimously last night to fund a new arena for the Kings. I have become disenfranchised with the Kings over the past ten years or so while the Magoof brothers ran the team into the ground and did every thing they could to move the team. The new ownership group seems very committed to putting a quality product on the hardwood.It would be cool to see Sac turn it around and become a team of relevance in the NBA, again.

And I am excited as hell about Sacramento becoming the Giants home for their AAA franchise. Will be interesting to see how that all shakes out.

• willedav said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:08 am

Chi, the Malone kid who coaches them was allegedly J. West’s choice to run Dubs in the first place and not Jax. Hope things work out up there–when Sac was good that was tough place to play for everyone.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:28 am

Chi, I’m happy for you guys over there . . . When I was the safety and health manager at Shasta Dam back in the mid-1990s, I would commute to our regional office in Sacramento frequently (1-2 times a month) and I would pass that “lone” edifice in the middle of prairie grass/suburban homes. No idea what the place was like inside, but it seemed like an idiotic location for an arena in the middle of nowhere.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:26 am

I also live in the Sacramento area and yes that is and was the stupidest place to put a stadium/arena. No public transportation out there. Had to drive around to find a place to eat. It was just awful to go there. When this whole Arena thing started, stopped, started, someone in the news suggested just upgrading the current arena. What an idiot!!

5. willedav said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:20 am

Sometimes I’ll follow along on cbs site game tracker, and they always have interesting situational AB stats for every player and opposing pitcher. When Craw was up late they showed numbers that said he is hitting .215-ish on the road and has similar numbers for this month…also that he is doing better in 7th slot .275 I think.

Tough night for Romo trying to locate, and I’m sure walking the leadoff guy (tulo) wasn’t the plan. It’s his second blown save out of 17 and first L.

But the way game is played today with defined roles for the pen, altering it would be a big deal. You gotta leave affeldt lopez casilla where they are, and Romo too. Like to see one more RH guy they can rely on late beside gutierrez/machi.

How is it that the Cubs with worst record in baseball pin first L on Tanaka after seeing him for second time now? And why the F have they played the Yanks twice now anyway?

6. willedav said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:42 am

That was Morneau who got the inning opening walk in 9th. tough hitter having good season, like cuddyer, who almost drove one out to deep RF. Solid LU for Rox. with Blackmon Rosario and arenado too. Posey out until Thursday and Pagan likely out til Wed., so this will be tough series.
    Hector and rest of middle order has to improve on the 0-fers.

7. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:51 am

As I said (and Blade) earlier…get one if this bandbox and get the hell outta dodge. Agree that Hudson probably represents their best bet at a W, althought Chacin hasn’t been a world-beater (0-2, 4.76/1.59). If Cain can keep the sherpas in the yard, could be another interesting and tight game. Hudson and De La Rosa should be a good match-up on the get-away day…

8. Bozo said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:19 am

One and done? No, sirs, Try, two and adieu. Cain and Hudson can both beat these guys.

9. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:12 am

I’d like to see at least one win in Coors this week, but if they get swept, it’s no biggie. As long as they are competitive games. So far, last night was. What I don’t want to see is the Rockies riding roughshod, giving them confidence they might use during the stretch run, if they’re in it. According to blade, we don’t need to worry about the Rox in a stretch drive, so I hope he’s right. I’m worried about it a little though, Tim Kurkjian of ESPN said this morning that he thought the Rox pitching won’t hold up — when ESPN “experts” say something, I usually figure the opposite will happen…

10. zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:35 am

Romo had a record of 5-8 last year, so you take the good and the bad with Romo. He’s going to get a lot of saves, and occasionally he gets lit up pretty well. He’s not a dominant closer, but he’s a good one. And one of his strong qualities seems to be an ability to have a short memory, and not hang on to tough outings like last night. If called upon tonight, Romo will be ready to go.

11. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

I beg to differ and would consider Romo a dominant closer. His number are easily top 10.

This year he is 3-1 with a 3.00 ERA/0.76 WHIP. He has converted 15 of 17 save opportunities.

Last year, he tied for 8th (MLB-wide) in saves with 38. He was, as Zumie said 5-8, but of the top 10 last year, only four had winning records. He had a 2.54 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP. He had 59 Ks to 12 BB and only gave up 5 HRs. Only Soriano and Kimbrel had more saves in the NL.

So, I would say Romo is better than “a good closer.” The proof is in the numbers.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:55 am

I think Romo is fine. I just don’t see a vast problem if Bochy figures only at Coors, he’s not the best closer option at altitude. His slider flattens out, so he’s very vulnerable. I’d go with a guy that throws gas, and maybe a cutter or curve. Casilla would be my choice for closer just at Coors. My approach to baseball is get an edge, anyway you can, and play the situation. Bochy’s approach is don’t rock the boat, go with the tried and true, no matter what, don’t rock the boat. Anyway, Miller said on radio last night just one pitch before the walk off double that Romo’s slider wasn’t doing anything, and that Coors is notorious for making sliders hittable. He was right…

• Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:11 am

As I said last night, and again today, I would not mess with my bullpen rotation just for Mt. Sherpa (or any other ballpark). As WillieD states in his 8:20…and I agree…altering it is a big deal.

And to take it one step farther, as I mentioned earlier in this thread…

The sherpas were 1 for 9 with 3 Ks against Romo in Denver last year, and Romo was 3 for 3 in save opportunities. Those are pretty damned good numbers, and IMO not worth fucking around with the bullpen pecking order.

12. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:51 am

Forgot to mention in the post above (cannot edit from work) that Romo is second in saves this year, MLB-wide.

13. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:07 am

This article by a Rockies fan/saber geek will provide solace to those who think the Rockies are going to be contenders, especially on a consistent basis annually. This article dispels that EVER happening, except where the Rockies have a team comparable to the 1927 Yankees. For James, who loves numbers – he will likely approve the wRC+ evaluation method and author’s conclusion (and jizz his undies afterwards . . . :-) ). For those of you who have eyes that glaze over whenever a stat is cited, here’s the author’s conclusion:

“I don’t want to call it a definite conclusion, but the data here seems to seriously suggest a worst case scenario – And we’re not even close to dealing with small sample sizes. If true, it may be many, many years before the Rockies ever win a division title, because even if they were run perfectly, they don’t just have to put a team on the field who can beat the other four teams in the division, they have to put a team on the field who can beat the other teams in the division by several games just to get on a level playing field.

They are playing against a casino, and the house holds all the cards. The differences are subtle year to year, but as more than a decade’s worth of evidence piles up, it seems to point to a clear and heart breaking message. For the Colorado Rockies, the game appears to be rigged.”

Enjoy . . . http://www.purplerow.com/2014/5/15/5712224/the-numbers-are-lying

• Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:20 am

Interesting. You know what I say…

Fuck the Rockies…

I sure would like to find out more about the humidor. If it is being monitored this year. And if it is, by whom (hopefully someone unbiased and not associated with the sherpas).

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

Chi, this was taken from a USA Today article, albeit, it is old – so the procedures might have changed . . .

The process
        - When Rockies employees receive a shipment of game balls (usually four to five per season), they put them immediately in the humidor, stamping each box of 12 balls with the date it was received.
        - They also create a test box, pulling balls from miscellaneous boxes. The test balls are weighed and measured each week, and those measurements are sent to Major League Baseball. MLB officials visit periodically to review the system.
        - All the balls from one shipment are stored in the same rack. The humidor has four racks. The balls are used on a first-in, first-out basis. They usually are stored in the humidor for up to two months.
        - On game day, the game balls to be used that day (10 to 12 dozen) are rubbed up with mud in the morning, then placed back in the humidor in a ball bag until they go out to the field with the umpire.
        - All unused game balls are returned to the humidor.
        - Any balls left in the humidor after the season ends are used for spring training.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:28 am

blade, what did the Rocks do the year they went to the WS that they won’t be able to do in the future?…

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

One word . . . “Rocktober.”

Or, if you want it spelled out, they played out of their minds like the 1927 Yankees I mentioned in my previous post, e.g., September was considered by many to be the best month of all-time for a ball club, after winning 21 of 22 games in the stretch; Colorado had an 11-game winning streak toward the end of the 2007 regular season, which set a franchise record for most consecutive wins in a season; and, the Rockies finished ahead of the Los Angeles Dodgers in the division for the first time in franchise history. By the by, they still have NOT won a division title (despite winning the pennant in 07).

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 11:45 am

OK, I forgot about that streak…

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Interesting article about impact of the altitude at home and on road. My question would be why wouldn’t the impact on offenses of altitude on the road teams at Coors and the impact on the Rox of no altitude when on the road just cancel out each other? He seems to be saying the impact of the no altitude on the road is much more of an obstacle to the Rocks offense and winning a division than is the advantage the Rox get from road teams having worse offense at Coors than at their home due to the unfamiliar impact of the high altitude. Maybe the Rox should dome Coors, and pump in 80% humidity and some air pressure to make it play as much as a sea level park as they can… ;)

14. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 12:09 pm

That article had the Giants wRC+ team stat between 2002-1014 averaging at 97 at ATT vs. 90 on the road, a 7 run differential, which is right in the middle of the pack of team average differentials. That surprises me. I would have thought it would be down near the bottom, as watching all these Giants games over the years, they seem to do better on the road offensively, especially in the HR department, and whatever wRC+ does to adjust for park impacts, the differential would still be on the low end…

15. pawliekokonuts said, on May 21, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I agree. Games at Sherpa Suds Bowl are bizarre and endless. Sigh.

16. gianthead said, on May 21, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Forgot to tell you alll this story…

If you all know Chuck Todd from MSNBC and he is NBC’s White House correpsondent and well known Dodger fan. I ran into him at my dry cleaner after my kids’ little league game and said that I was sorry to understand he was a Dodger fan. So I had to explain my Giant loyalties since I was wearing my Cubs coaching gear.

He proceeded to talk trash about the Giants not being able to keep it up for the season…classic, but he did do this with a smile on his face. But now that I know he lives somewhere near me, I will be looking to run him down:)

• SanDawg said, on May 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Todd is a Dodger fan too? Crap. I love me some Meet The Press, but I already have to put up with David Gregory sneaking in Dodger and Steve Garvey references, and now you are telling me Chuck Todd is one of them too?
      I actually like listening to what Todd has to say, but this latest development is disappointing.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 21, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Now I think both of those fruitcakes are even bigger douches.

• Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Yeah, I like listening to Todd, too, but this tarnises my thoughts on him now.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Great story GH . . . Jayson Stark has Bruce Bochy as his 1/4 baseball season completed “Manager Of The Year,” and said this about him and the Giants:

“If you want to amuse yourself (at our expense), feel free to check out the preseason predictions by 44 of us ever-psychic ESPN baseball geniuses. If you do, you’ll notice something: Exactly three of us picked the Giants to win the NL West. Three of 44. A bunch more of us did predict they’d be a wild-card team, so it’s not as if we all thought they were about to go 48-114. But almost none of us foresaw this — a team with the third-best record in baseball (28-18). And even if we had foreseen it, I guarantee you we wouldn’t have thought the Giants would have, or could have, done that in a season in which their vaunted rotation was tied for ninth in the league in quality starts (nine behind the Brewers). But that’s how this team has functioned under Bruce Bochy. No matter how the pieces fit together, he figures out a way to make it work. Some managers just get it. He’s at the top of that list.”

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Stark is usually one of the few at ESPN to give the Giants the time of day…

17. Macdog said, on May 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Another no-decision for Samardzija after Cubs blow a 2-0 lead to Yanks in the 9th. The MLB leader in ERA is still winless in 2014.

18. Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Good news – Crazy Horse is back in the line-up…

CF Pagan
    RF Pence
    3B Sandoval
    1B Morse
    C Sanchez
    LF Colvin,
    2B Hicks
    SS Crawford
    RH Cain

19. zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Regarding the Rockies’ humidor, the accusation is that it would be possible to give the homeplate ump baseballs that weren’t in the humidor at all, if not monitored. Regular “dry” baseballs that would travel farther could be introduced when the Rockies were batting, or had fallen behind in a game. MLB had no protocol regarding policing that until the Giants raised a stink. Lincecum believed he was thrown a ball by the ump that hadn’t come out of the humidor. He threw it back, with the now famous lip-read quote, said under his breath: “Effin’ juiced ball.”
    Rockies manager, Jim Tracy, after the game, trying to deflect blame, said “I have no idea how anything works with humidor.” That was his defense?! Pretty hilarious. The league officials had been totally caught with their pants down. And suddenly some people were looking back at that remarkable finish in the Rockies’ World Series year, and saying:”Hmmm….” But I’m not even sure the humidor was being used at that time. Does anyone here know?

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Humidor was implemented (supposedly for both teams . . . LOL) in 2002.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I’m generally not a conspiracy theorist type of person, but….before the Giants raised a stink in 2010, it would have been very easy for people connected to the Rockies to cheat with the humidored and un-humidored balls.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm

You know what Kruk (and others) always say in baseball: If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’…

20. zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Regarding the Sac Kings’ arena….sure it was built kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but one thing in favor of that is that it’s much EASIER to get an arena built when you’re building it out in the middle of nowhere. The Kings needed an arena in the Sacramento area, and they needed it built pronto. That’s what helped get the team to Sac in the firstplace. And I think they assumed the area around and near the arena would get developed into places that would have restaurants and whatnot. That’s happened a little, but I haven’t been to a Kings game in about 7 years, so I don’t know what the surrounding area looks like these days.
    But that’s exciting news about a downtown arena. There’s already a beautiful AAA ballpark for the RiverCats, plus the Old Town tourist area, and a huge mall. The new arena will be good for Sacramento, and the northern Central Valley in general.

21. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm

The real humidor procedure at Coors:

1. Each shipment of baseballs received is immediately put into a closed room off of the Rockies training area.
    There, in the middle of the night, the shipment is split in half by two Rockies employees into separate bins named “Rockies” and “Chumps”.
    2. The balls in the Chumps bin are all stamped with a UV/black light stamp entitled “Fuck U” that can only be seen under black light. The balls in the Rockies bin are not touched.
    3. All balls are then brought into the humidor. Rockies balls are placed on the top rack, the “Fuck U” balls are placed underneath on the second rack. This occurs the same way on the other two racks in the humidor.
    4. On the day of a night game, or night before a day game, Rockies employees take half of the expected balls needed for the game from the Rockies rack, and put them in several ovens in back of the concession area at 165 degrees for four hours. The baked Rockies balls are then cooled and returned to the humidor room for the mud treatment, which is applied at the same time to the other half of the game balls taken from the racks with the Chumps balls. For Giants’ series only, before the mud treatment, the half from the Chumps balls are thrown in the Rockies training room jacuzzis for a half hour soak, then toweled off and returned to the humidor.
    5. Before game time, Rockies employees put the baked Rockies balls into regular ball bags, and soaked Chumps balls into regular ball bags that also have an invisible UV/Black light stamp. The employees have a small black light embedded in the bill of their caps, which MLB auditors cannot see even if they witness the balls being loaded into the ball bags.
    6. Using the UV/black light ID process and their special caps, the Rockies employees make sure that the Chumps ball bags and balls are given to the bat boys so that they give them to the home plate umpire during the half inning in which the opposition bats.
    7. There may be overlap between half innings and ball bags where the Rockies employees can’t switch bags and balls, but in most cases, the Rockies are hitting the oven-treated Rockies balls, and the opposition Chumps are hitting the jacuzzied “Fuck U” balls…

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:18 pm

:) And when the Giants asked the league who’s monitoring the Rockies on this, the league said: “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…………………..”

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:44 pm

The same guys monitoring the vets’ treatment wait times at the Phoenix VA hospitals…

• Chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Hilarious…good work, Tom.

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 4:55 pm

to long to make it POTD so I’m fast tracking this bad boy to the POTD-best of. Nice.

22. zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Juan Uribe to the DL. I wonder if they would have called up Guerrero if he wasn’t getting an ear reconstructed.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm

They’re calling up Erisbel Arruebarruena. This being the Dodgers, they are already paying Arruebarruena 5 years/$25 million. He’s another of the several Cubans the Dodgers have managed to get ahold of. Yeah, nothing suspicious about that, either.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Sheez, if you’re on a minor league team but have a $25M contract already, you better be taking guys out to dinner a lot, else the clubhouse might get ugly. Oh, maybe it has…

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Good point. Could be a factor:
        Ear biter, Olivo, probably making the MLB minimum, on a 1-year deal.
        Ear bite-victim, Guerrero, getting paid 4 years/$28 million.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Yeah, could be there were 28 million reasons to bite that ear…

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Or he was just really hungry.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Same thing. You got the big contract, you better buy the dinner. The catcher generally has the pitcher’s ear, but that’s ridiculous — Guerrero is an infielder… ;)

23. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Tomorrow reveals:
    Secret memo to Walt Weiss on the “maintenance of and access to the corked bats broom closet”…

24. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Usually when I am in town, I just tune into the game, but I have been watching the pre-game show a bit more on this trip . . . Very impressed with Randy Winn (took me awhile to know who the bald headed guy was. Ha.), who is articulate and knowledgeable. Just my opinion, but I think he really has a future broadcasting career.

25. Bozo said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Hey Flav, logging in, I got a message that the blog would expire in 7 days. Don’t know if it’s just me or WordPress, but an FYI just in case.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Yep, I got the “warning”, too…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Me three

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I got it too…

26. Bozo said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Thank you, Hunter.

27. Bozo said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Oh, oh, Matt’s out.

28. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

John, not certain – but I think it is a cramp in the hamstring as one of the K&K team said . . . Quite common at altitude, especially if you are not constantly hydrating (even when you are not thirsty). I see this all the time while hiking, bicycling, playing softball, etc. Hopefully, just a precaution and he wont miss his next start.

• Bozo said, on May 21, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Steve, I’ve got the Denver team and all they’re doing is yuk, yuk, crap.
      Computer keeps crashing, so I’m out.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Yeah, that occasionally happens to me when I am in Denver on the PC. Sorry to hear that . . .

29. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:03 pm

First word on Cain: right hammy strain. Sounds like a DL situation to me…

30. Macdog said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:13 pm

No help from the Mets

31. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Good two out RBI hitting again for Gyros. Panda coming out of the funk with the HR?…

32. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Big SO.

33. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Petit doing yeoman work in an emergency situation. Nice.

34. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Craw with another dinger!
    Can we get some guys on base before hitting these?…

35. James said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:47 pm

“For James, who loves numbers – he will likely approve the wRC+ evaluation method and author’s conclusion (and jizz his undies afterwards . . . :-) ).”

If I could still jizz as often as others imply I’m capable of, I’d be jazzed.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Yo! You da man James!

• James said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Yeah, my age-adjusted numbers are undoubtedly pretty good.

36. Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Morse is almost a menace out there at first base. Time for that to end. I don’t want to see him play anymore first base and he’s a great example for the people who think anyone can play first base. I still get a kick out of the dudes who thought Bonds playing first base would have been a good idea……

• willedav said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Understand, but who takes over? Morse back in LF sends Colvin to bench too.
      What’s up with Ishi (d replacement late?) anyway?

• James said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I think that was BF’s way of saying he misses Belt.

37. willedav said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Rox bullpen giving up couple insurance runs, which always seem to come in handy, esp here.

couple days ago I saw something on fangraphs/hardball times section about saber stuff and Earl Weaver. Long article, but after a while they list a book he wrote “Weaver on Strategy” and give a bunch of interesting and some pretty funny quotes from it. Anybody familiar with this one? Bunch of the bloggers mention reading it and enjoying it, even guys who coached baseball. Sounds like a good read!

38. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

And here we go.

39. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I hate Colorado.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:18 pm

That’s why you moved, eh?

40. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Wow! I’ll take that (especially here).

41. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm

WOW!! I love Colorado.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:21 pm

lqtm.

42. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Silly K&K repartee . . . We all know James is “da man.”

43. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Usually those situations at Sherpa Mountain result in an avalanche of runs.

44. willedav said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Hope Kuip is right…looking forward to a Casilla AB.

45. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I hate Colorado. ..

46. James said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Do we hate Colorado again? Christ . . . .

47. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Ffffffffffffff

48. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:35 pm

We’re running out of players.

49. wswins said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:36 pm

that has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve seen….

50. Macdog said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:37 pm

What a goddamn stupid injury.

51. James said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Hustling on every play can be overrated.

52. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I do NOT NOT NOT NOT understand what just happened.
    I assume the coaches told Casilla to take three, or if not, just swing and don’t run. And, he disobeyed orders.
    If they did not give those orders, the coaches should be grilled endlessly.
    Maybe the stupidest play by the Giants in years…

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Hitting for Casilla has reached legendary status. His youtube hitting videos are viral. He smelled a hit and he was all-out. I don’t really question him on it, the baseball culture left common sense behind a long time ago. Shit happens.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I question it big time. Casilla may be the 2nd best Pen guy we have, and the Pen is our greatest strength. Why is he running balls out to first for essentially no reason except shits and grins with a 4 run lead?

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:52 pm

because that’s part of the game. Baseball players are “shits and gigglers”. They just are.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 pm

IMO, Bochy needs to be grilled hard for this, unless Casilla disobeyed orders. The radio guys were saying as the AB went on that they just wanted it to end without him getting hurt…

53. Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm

It’s 2014, do we really still need 2 random dudes carrying one of our multi-million dollar players off a field, into a dugout and down a precarious stairwell? WTF is that?

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm

That’s more baseball than shitting and giggling through a blown hammy.

54. Macdog said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm

What price victory?

55. wswins said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Hard to say congrats after this one..

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I haven’t read the word on Cain yet but this is hardly the end of the world (unless I find out that Cain is gone for a while). Casilla is important but he’s replaceable. Get over it. Win. Move on….

56. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Right. There’s no need for Casilla to be swinging OR busting ass down the line. 5-1 lead in the 9th and you blow out both hammies?

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:47 pm

read my 8:43. It’s the way shit is, when he came to the plate every fucking player was on the dugout steps with wide grins anticipating the outcome. It’s still a *game* at the end of the day.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:51 pm

In these cases this is where management is supposed to lend some sanity to the situation. Apparently not…

57. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 pm

If we’re lucky, Casilla is out for a regular DL stint with a major pull of some sort. If not, he’s out for the year with a torn achilles or something…

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:06 pm

If he didn’t pull both hammies, he tore one. Cain is the bigger concern, but shit, waddyagonnado?

Who gets the callup? Chris Heston? He pitched tonight in Fresno and is 4-2 3.28.

58. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Otherwise, a great win at Coors with fine pitching, good D and some heavy lumber brought out by the Gyros…

59. stickman said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Go figure. Can’t win for losing, eh? Two pitchers down in one game. Wires will be busy. So is wireless.
    Well, we did win a game several of us thought we might lose and Giants pitching in two games has largely stifled Tulo. AND the worst we will be after the series is holding a two game lead. Hudson perseveres and prevails and its four.

Just noticed where Phil Hughes threw a shutout vs the pesky Pads for the Twins and now they are up on .500 at 23-21. So back at the Bay even Minnesota may not be just a bunch of twinks. Yanks beat the Cubs, but the lovable losers have been giving the Evil Empire problems recently. Gee, just a week or two ago i was kinda looking forward to these next two home sets as cruising comfort. Just looks like more struggles now. Oh well, baseball fans learn not to take things for granted in this game.

60. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Who comes up?
    Kontos? Law?…

61. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Chris Heston? He pitched tonight in Fresno and is 4-2 3.28.

62. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Post game wrap says the scribes are quoting Bochy as saying he told Casilla to take 3 and not be a hero, so it looks like this is on Casilla…

63. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Pavlovic says it’s the right hamstring for Casilla. MRI tomorrow. Hopefully its a minor tear or a big strain, and not an achilles. If it’s a hammy, IMO something that looks that bad he’ll be out 2 months, torn achilles he’s done for the season. I blew out my right hammy right above my knee running to 2nd in a softball game about 15 years ago. I went down in a heap, felt like somebody stabbed me. Could barely walk. The back of my leg turned purple for about 3 weeks, and it took about 2 months before it was back to normal. Hopefully that’s all he’s got…

64. SanDawg said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm

What happened? I’m guessing he put it in play and went down in a heap busting his ass down the line? Does he still stand 4 feet away from the plate?

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Yeah, a high bouncer up the middle. He chopped his steps getting to the bag and went down like he was shot.

• sandog said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Was he safe? This sucks, but I’m in the “shit happens” camp on this one too. I don’t blame him for trying to get a legit hit.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I blame him. He gets paid to get people out. Not to try to leg out a meaningless infield hit against the manager’s orders…

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:54 pm

No, he was pretty much dead to rights. No chance of beating it out, so it was pretty stupid. Especially since it looks like he misses the rest of the year.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:25 pm

After listening to the post game repartee with Lurie on KNBR, I’m blaming both of them. If Bochy really told Casilla to do nothing, he should have stopped Casilla from disobeying orders as the AB went on. After all, the count went to 3-2 with Casilla swinging at a few and fouling them off. Bochy could have had Flannery call time out and tell Casilla to stop it. Bad moves all around…

65. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:23 pm

They just showed Bochy. He looked pretty pissed off about Casilla. Told him not to swing. Told him to jog.

66. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Denver media causing shit regarding Krukow’s comment about Tulo getting signs . . . Hilarious! Bring it on ya bunch of tools!

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I knew it, highly predictable. Kruk knew he was stirring up some S, but did it anyway…

67. DJLoo said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Dumb motherfucker.

• unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Casilla or Krukow?

• sansabes said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Bingo! Machismo kicked in.

68. DJLoo said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Ca-see-ya next year.

69. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Sherpas lost Cargo to injury. Not certain, but I think it is the same finger that kept him out for a couple of months last season.

70. snarkk said, on May 21, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Did the Giants have any significant injuries in 2010? I can’t seem to remember any. I’m on my second glass of Pinot, so maybe I’m not remembering much anyway…

71. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Wow…I had shit to do after the 8th and checked-out. Un Fucking Real. If Bochy specifically told Casilla not to run…that is just totally fucked-up on Casilla’s part. He is too damned valuable to the club to be pulling stupid shit like this. Bad enough what happened to Cain…this just literally add insult to injury.

72. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:43 pm

snarkk – I do not recall any significant injuries during 2010…

73. James said, on May 21, 2014 at 10:57 pm

We can always marvel at the odds of losing 2 bullpen guys to leg injuries while running out grounders in consecutive series against one team in their ballpark.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers