Doing Something Dumb Isn’t Specific to Casilla. It’s Baseball.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 22, 2014

Functional hammy’s were on short supply last night at Coors Field. Still don’t know the severity of either but Cain and Casilla will likely miss some time. After the game, Bochy said he told Casilla not to swing and that he’s “never seen him run like that before.”

No one has. And no one should ever run like that again…..

I doubt that Casilla flat out ignored a direct order to not swing.  Bochy probably advised against it or drawled out something like, “Shoot, don’t feel like ya hafta swing.” Something like that. In the end, Casilla did want he wanted to do—try to add to his already legendary batting status. Maybe the *joke* was just busting down the line like an idiot with no real chance of legging out that hit. Who knows. It’s done and over with. And while I don’t support him trying to leg out a hit in a meaningless moment, I understand why he did it completely. Baseball players are not the brightest bunch. Half their jokes are idiotic pranks on each other. Giving each other shit back and forth is part of the game. They find status in strange places. Casilla has found his nitch in his rare at bats. I doubt Casilla ever gets to bat again. Not because he sucks at it. Bochy probably knows that if giving another at bat, even after what happened last night and the lesson he should have earned, Casilla probably wouldn’t be able to help himself from doing something stupid again.

To me, this is another reminder of how dumb it is to have pitchers hit. They aren’t hitters they are pitchers. That’s the simplest reason ever for the NL to finally adopt the DH.

It’s probably the only way to keep relievers like Casilla from being idiots in the batters box or on a baseline…..

About these ads

1. willedav said, on May 22, 2014 at 7:58 am

File this one alongside all the dumb freaky injuries that happen to today’s *athletes*( like guys who jack themselves in the on deck circle), esp those on giants pitching staff. A guy can’t run 90 feet? Where IS the Groper these days anyway? I really like Casilla too, that was just unreal to watch.
    Pitchers still run in pre game and stretch, right? Most guys stretch out some in pen before they start throwing, and you would think be capable of hustling over to cover 1b on a ball hit to right side of IF.
    And you know at some point after he’s recovered his buddies are gonna get him over this…and having to look Bochy in the eye isn’t gonna be easy.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:00 am

I can see your point on the DH but I still think a player that fields their position should also bat. I just think that is how the game should be played and is one of the main reasons I enjoy NL baseball over AL. The whole hamstring debacle last night is a huge blow for the club. Cain was starting to pull it together over the last 4 starts but I think Casilla is the bigger loss. He could of stepped into the closer role if Romo faltered and is a guy that Bochy depends on. If they really told him not to swing or whatever it sure didn’t seem that way with all the yukking it up in the dugout during his AB. Flannery could just as well have come down the line and told Casilla to stop f-ing around.

Heath Hembree come on down?

3. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:03 am

Well, we all have our opinions, but I totally disagree on “they aren’t hitters they are pitchers.” The DH IMNSHO is a bastarization of the game as it was original designed (and played) for over 100 years. You take the field with a glove, you fucking bat. It is that simple.

We will probably never know the dialogue between Bochy and Casilla last night, but Casilla should learn from this. He will hurt his club by being out for ANY period of time, and if he is out for an extended time, it could have a profound effect on the bullpen. This team is running strong and the last thing it needed was a bone-headed move like this, when the team is already facing losing Cain for a period of time.

Will be interesting to see what kind of moves they make. I have not really been following Fresno that closely…wonder if Hembre is a candidate to come up.

Hudson against De La Rosa today. Should be a good match-up. Would be huge to get the series win, but even if they drop this rubber match…they leave with a two game cushion, but four would be oh so much better.

4. salty said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:06 am

About 99.99999999% of the time these not too bright pitchers just jog half way to first in that type of situation. Or take a strike 3. This was just inexplicably, mind-boggingly stupid. And Bochy had reminded him–no need to be a hero.
    They ought to void the dumbfuck’s salary while he’s out. ;)

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:11 am

Salt – I was going to suggest fining him, but not sure what type of negative effect that might have on, by all appearances, a really positive vibe in the dugout/clubhouse. I think Bochy just needs to have a 1-on-1 with Casilla behind closed doors and read him the fucking riot act.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:29 am

I agree that the whole thing was idiotic but I don’t agree with the idea of fining or voiding salary. It doesn’t seem like Bochy’s style and I think it sends the wrong message.

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:59 am

Agree, Dirt. That is why I said I think Bochy just needs to have a little 1-on-1 with Casilla behind closed doors.

5. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:07 am

Also, it is not just the simple point of having a hitter hit for the pitcher. The DH takes a lot of strategy out of the game when, in the NL, it comes time to decide on keeping a pitcher in who is throwing a good game, or pinch hitting for him in a key spot when the potential is there to score a run. I know it it probably coming sooner or later, but I will be absolutely pissed if it does come to pass (DH in all of MLB).

6. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:09 am

And I am really enjoying watching Crawford blossom. I have been in this guy’s corner since he got his first call-up. He made a couple of stellar plays last night (one that had to be almost perfrect on a slow roller to him) and then the start of the double play where he flipped the ball from his glove to Hicks. Add the second deck HR and again…just really love watching the kid. And the thing that makes it especially sweet is that he is a NorCal kid who had dreams and visions of playing for the Giants. It doesn’t get much better than that.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:15 am

I have to admit, I was all for having him platoon this season if he continued to flail and miss against left handers. Wrongo. Not certain, but I think snarkk pointed out that he is actually hitting them better then righties this season. Amazing transformation! I hope he makes the All Star team as a reserve.

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:29 am

Yep, since Bochy sat him a few times against lefties, he has been on a tear, and is hitting lefties better than righties, except starters (which is kind of odd).

VS LHP he is hitting .360, .439, .700, 1.139 (non-starters). This in 57 ABs.

VS RHP he is hitting .192, .270, .333, .603 (again, non-starters). This in 115 ABs.

Against starters:

LH – 54 AB: .241, .333, .519, .852
        RH – 95 AB: .253, .321, .421, .742 (higher BA but lower OPS).

Regardles…just really loving watching this kid play…especially in the field.

Agree…hope he makes the AS team as a reserve.

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:10 am

He worked with Bonds in ST on hitting lefties. Bonds gave him some drills that apparently helped.

7. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:12 am

I’m down with what Dirt and Chi said – I don’t want anything to do with the DH. It may be inevitable, but to me, it is the continued bastardization of the game. If you can’t half-assed throw, field, hit and run, then you shouldn’t be in the fucking game. Again, just my opinion – but let the American League continue to “jazz up” their game with silly new rules to attract fans. By the by, how’s that working for them (see Oakland A’s)?

OK, your turn Nipper . . .

8. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:19 am

MRIs today will really drive the moves. If Cain and Casilla end up on the DL, then two arms will be brought up. I suspect the immediate pool being considered is Dunning, Kontos and Hembre.

9. Nipper said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:20 am

The DH can’t come soon enough. Pitchers should just pitch period and this is the latest example. BLEEP!

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:30 am

FUCK the DH. Keep that bastardized BULLSHIT in the Junior Circuit…

10. ewisco said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:29 am

The DH is a joke. your DESIGNATED HITTER is hitting in the low .200’s for most teams. And the Casilla injury actually makes the point about why it’s important for everyone to hit: stuff happens. The good teams can roll with it and the bad teams can’t and that’s one of the separators at the end of the year. I love the idea of eliminating the DH and adding more players to the roster.

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:31 am

Absolutely. Can the DH and expand rosters to 27 or 28 players.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:02 am

I’m down with expanding to 27, keep the DH out of the NL. If Adrianza has 2 brothers, we can get them to join him on the end of the bench doing nothing…

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:23 am

Excellent post Eric.

11. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:32 am

Just for Bochy saying what he said last night showed how he felt. He rarely dogs anyone unless they fuck up badly, and that was a collosal fuckup by Casilla. As far as this being the death knell for no DH? Fuck that. These guys all run pre-game. They all stretch. They all should be in good enough shape to run to 1st. He just did something majorly stupid to the team.

12. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:53 am

Agree with Chuck that Bochy rarely blast a player in public, unless he has Belt as a last name. So, he must have said something to Casilla. Given the weak ass nature of the Giants beat writer crew, we’ll probably not know exactly what happened between the two. Aubry Huff said on radio this am that Casilla’s English isn’t bad, but not great, maybe something got lost in translation. Whatever, this is on both Casilla and Bochy. If Bochy did in fact tell Casilla to do nothing, then BF is right, Casilla’s a tool for ignoring the order, if he understood it. A player can’t ignore a manager’s direct order, that ain’t cool, no matter who the player is. Anyway, after Casilla’s first swing of the AB, Bochy should have told Flannery to call Casilla over for an in your face talk. That didn’t happen. Why not? The snapped hammy happened on a 3-2 pitch after a couple of swings, so Bochy’s got no excuse that he didn’t have time to set Casilla straight during the AB. The dugout was yucking it up over Casilla’s AB, so Bochy obviously just let it go maybe with his fingers crossed, and it blew up in his face. Miller on radio almost predicted Casilla getting hurt during the AB, was obviously leery about the risk. Casilla’s been the 2nd best dude in the Pen so far next to Romo, so this is not a small loss. Absolutely stoooopid move all around. Sabean rightly has reason to chew Bochy’s ass on this one…

13. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:11 am

I grew up watching NL ball with pitchers hitting, double switches, bunts, moving runners, walking or pitching around the #8 guy to get to the pitcher with 2 outs, etc. That’s baseball, in my book. A little bit of strategy, not Nobel prize winning, but it definitely adds something to the game. This AL style of ball with the DH sucks. It’s brainless. The games average nearly 4 hours long. Football type scores. There’s way fewer manager moves to analyze and criticize in hindsight, which is a big part of being a fan of the game. Give the MLBPA a bone with 2 extra guys to 27 on the roster, but make it a special 2 so that you can move them up and down from the minors without option impact, and restrict their salaries somehow so they can only earn MLB minimum or something. Give and take so both sides are happy. Just keep the dang DH in the AL, whatever it takes…

14. WilcoJoe said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:35 am

The interesting thing was Kuipers reaction during the at bat. As the camera kept panning to the players lined up along the dugout screen, being entertained by Casilla’s antics, Kuip was like the disapproving father. It was almost as if he sensed something bad was going to happen. He even mentioned something to the effect of “let’s hope he doesn’t get hurt.” And then when Casilla tumbled as he crossed the bag and rolled over like a kid in a fire drill, my first thought was he was joking. I thought he fell on purpose…Kuiper knew right away it was no joke and he went dead silent. I half expected him to say, “I told you so.” Instead he let his silence do the talking. It was Emmy worthy, I thought.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:38 am

Strange, I was listening on radio. Miller and Flemm were saying the exact same stuff. They both were saying they just hoped he didn’t get hurt, just get off the field onto the mound to finish the game. It was like they had a premonition. I had the exact same response when Miller said Casilla was on the ground hurt. I thought he was following up by making a joke. How is it the entire TV and radio broadcast crews (in different broadcast booths so I assume came to the same conclusion independently) had this figured out, but the manager couldn’t stop it?…

• WilcoJoe said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:50 am

If you haven’t already, check out the video feed of the play. They don’t go back the whole at bat, just the play itself. You can hear either Kruk or Kuip turn off their microphone during the period of dead air. I would have loved to hear what they were “really” saying.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:48 am

I thought Casilla was clowning around at first as well. Obviously he wasn’t and there was no sniper involved. Do they put the bases in the humidor too? Maybe it was slippery.

15. Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hell no to the DH. Yet another reason against this abomination is what happened the other night with MadBum. When a pitcher hits the opposing team’s star player in the NL, whether intentional or not, he better be prepared to face the music in his next AB, unlike in the AL where the pitcher can just hide in the dugout.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:00 am

Another excellent point!

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:19 am

Agreed. Especially when Clemens was hitting guys while he was an AL pitcher and acting tough when he couldn’t face the opposing pitcher — what a joke…

16. Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:56 am

From Pav: Giants make it official: Casilla to DL, @G_Kontos called up. He had 35 strikeouts, 3 walks in 23 2/3 Triple-A innings.

17. willedav said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:57 am

I’m not into the blame game. It was a 4 run lead in Coors, where anything can happen. Rox are scorching the ball there and just the night before erased a Giants lead with their ace closer on the mound. Casilla thought he had a hit and ran as fast as he could trying to get one. Given how so many of today’s millionaires play the game it’s kind of ironic to blow up on Bochy when one his guys actually does hustle. It’s obvious Casilla did this on his own; it’s too bad he got hurt but there’s 24 other guys to pick him up til he returns.
    How many guys have the A’s lost on their pitching staff in last 6 months? The guy they signed for $10 mil to be closer is now a set up guy without a defined role. So for SF somebody else gets to have the ball in their hands and show what they can do to help the team win, and maybe another Petit or Machi emerge from shadows.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:01 am

Yeah, that is why I don’t agree with a fine or some sort of salary void as mentioned above. Casilla is a baseball player doing baseball things. Things went wrong all around but hey, whatareyagonna do? Read him the riot act and move on. Which is what most likely will happen. If it hasn’t already.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:01 am

Shit happens. I get it. Guys get hurt, it happens all the time, it’s basically unavoidable in a long season. But, this shit was bonehead stoopid and definitely avoidable…

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Willie, I can’t find your email and I’d like to discuss the SJ Giants game tomorrow . . . blade3colorado@yahoo.com

Thanks . . . Steve

18. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:58 am

Maybe I’m a nag, but I don’t like what I’m reading about Casilla after the injury in the clubhouse. Apparently joking around about what happened. Maybe that attitude explains why it happened, as per BFs analysis above. The guy is a key dude in the Pen, knows he shouldn’t get hurt, but risks it anyway, maybe against direct manager orders, is lost to the team because of his idiotic move — and he’s joking about it. Per Pavlovic: “Casilla was in a good mood, all things considered. He popped into the clubhouse when reporters were talking to Cain, loudly joking with teammates and taking the harassment from those who were still making fun of the way he runs. “He’s handling it well,” one Giant said. “He was doing great. He told us he’ll be back in a few weeks.”
    Clueless…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:03 am

Casilla has never really struck me as the most brilliant guy so that doesn’t surprise me.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yeah, since baseball began, I doubt many have believed the player rosters were studded with brilliance. I don’t know which sport has the lower intelligence level on rosters — baseball or hockey. Hockey guys are tough and all that, but when I hear them interviewed, whoa, it’s usually not very enlightening. Football players get slammed for not being too bright, but I dunno — they have to learn tons of plays and situational changes — even the defensive guys. All baseball guys have to do is remember to hit the cutoff man, and swing at your pitch — and lots can’t even do that…

19. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:14 am

I read a quote earlier (cannot find it now) where Bochy said he explicitly told Casilla not to swing.

Posey back in the line-up.

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    2. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Michael Morse (R) 1B
    5. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    6. Brandon Hicks (R) 2B
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Tyler Colvin (L) LF
    9. RHP — Tim Hudson (4-2, 2.09 ERA)

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:17 am

The way these guys are hitting HRs, I’d take that LU into a playoff game with Hudson on the mound, no problem…

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’d hit Crawford ahead of Hicks. Craw is raking lately (at .248) ;) and with pop, and his OBP is decent (.326) considering his BA. Hicks has the pop, but his BA is Mendoza like with an OBP that is not good, but decent (.318) considering the BA…

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:40 am

Actually, I would bump Colvin up to 7th (as long as he is on this hot streak) and drop Hicks one more back to 8th in the lineup. Eventually, I would like to see Craw get a chance at the 2 spot and move Pence to 5th.

20. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:34 am

OK, I am getting greedy here, i.e., I would like to get the win today and win this series. It would be the first series loss for the Sherpas and moreover, would send a clear message to them.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:41 am

I was thinking that same thing this morning. Posey back in, Hudson on the bump. No reason the Giants can’t take this game and head outta town on a Happy Flight.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:47 am

Dirt, in Thailand and Vietnam, an outstanding massage are the ones that end with a “Happy Ending.” Hey, no idea if this is available to the players on those charter flights the Giants contract for, but I am all for it when they win road series. :-)

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:48 am

I don’t remember a blog post about that on your ’round the world blog. ;)

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:24 am

First HOME series loss, I assume…

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:28 am

Yep.

21. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:14 am

Lost in the Casilla business last night was Petit. 3 innings, no runs. Nice job. He seems to do better when it’s a spur of the moment deal…

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:25 am

Stupid as it all may be I am pretty bummed for Casilla (and Cain of course). Dude has become one of my favorite players on the club and I really thought he would slide into the closer role at some point this year. Good thing about this LU is they can probably weather the storm.

23. Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:27 am

Not sure why, but to me Casilla always seemed like an injury waiting to happen.

Get two and adieu.

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:28 am

If/when the DH is added to the NL, in my mind baseball will have become a sport similar to bowling. Nothing wrong with bowling, but it’s not baseball.

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Great posts, clown…hope life is treating you good on the right coast.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

“If the DH had been around in 1914, nobody would have known that Babe Ruth could hit.”

Epic statement! Best argument I’ve heard today for eliminating the DH.

24. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:36 am

Surprise! Doghairs just cut ear-biter Miguel Olivo.
    Giants record so far:
    When scoring first: 24-1
    When oppo scores first: 8-14
    This supports my case for Bochy to get into some small ball once in a while and move runners early in the game to get a first run on the board…

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Well, from the numbers they obviously do it more often than not.

25. wswins said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:45 am

Posted on May 22, 2014 by Alex Pavlovic

This might be shaping up as a “good news” day for a team that was shell shocked last night. Buster Posey is back in the lineup, Matt Cain is walking without a limp and Santiago Casilla is taking a ton of crap from teammates for being overly dramatic, so maybe the hamstring isn’t as bad as it looked. We’ll see. More injury updates coming on Twitter shortly

• wswins said, on May 22, 2014 at 11:48 am

Cain has grade 1 strain of hamstring, will get treatment for a couple of days. Hasn’t been ruled out for next start yet.

Casilla MRI showed grade 2 strain of right hamstring. Likely out about four weeks.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I’d say that’s about as good as the news gets on those two. I’d guess Cain skips at least one start, Petit fills in. Careful with hammy on a $20M man is the way to go. Four weeks on Casilla looks great compared to how it looked season ending last night. Given the Giants medico history, it’s probably 5-6 weeks…

From Pulled Hammy Central (sportsinjuryclinic.net):
        Pulled hamstrings are graded 1, 2 or 3 depending on severity. Grade 1 consists of minor tears within the muscle. A grade 2 is a partial tear and grade 3 is a severe or complete rupture.

Grade 1 — the athlete may have tightness in back of the thigh but will be able to walk normally. They will be aware of some discomfort and unable to operate at full speed. There will be little swelling and trying to bend the knee against resistance is unlikely to produce much pain.

Grade 2 — the athlete’s gait will be affected and they will most likely be limping. Sudden twinges of pain during activity will be present. They may notice some swelling and pain will be produced when pressing in on the hamstring muscle as well as trying to bend the knee against resistance.

Grade 3 — a severe injury involving a tear to half or all of the muscle. The athlete may need crutches to walk and will feel severe pain and weakness in the muscle. Swelling will be noticeable immediately and bruising will usually appear within 24 hours.

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for the update, Dr. Tom. So, do you suggest 2-3 fingers of Makers as part of the rehab plan for these two?

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Sure, Chi. A wee dram of Makers both before and after the hammy massage administered by 10 fingers of a 23 year old CMT masseuse. A dose of Makers ON the hammy during massage probably would be therapeutic, too… ;)

26. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I saw where De La Rosa is lifetime 8-1 against the Giants at Mt. Sherpa. Time to make it 8-2.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Hudson has a poor record at Coors, the sinker doesn’t do well at altitude…

27. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I won’t use the H word, but I cannot stand Troy Fucking Tulowiski. Fuck him.

28. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Whew, good escape by Hudson out of a tough jam…

29. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Not a good first inning. Hudson 26 pitches. De La Rosa 8. Giants need to get De La Rosa outta the game and get into the sherpa bullpen.

30. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I forgot the Grade 4 hamstring pull, aka the “blade pull”. That requires a trip to Bangkok and Vietnam with minimum six weeks of intense physical therapy…

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Hmmm…I think I have one of those. Steve – when’s the next “rehab” trip to SE Asia? Of course, Gail may not approve of the rehab methods used there…

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Soon. Very soon.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:38 pm

lqtm

31. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Panda-Monium with the BIG FLY!

32. Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Listening to radio-cast. Miller said Rockies are gonna appeal the HR?

33. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Why don’t they just put a small camera ON each foul pole, shooting upward, and you can tell immediately what side of the pole the ball was on when it flew by…

• Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Because it would make too much fucking sense…

34. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm

WTF. Anyone watching the game? Was it really foul?

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Yes, it was foul. The wind pushed it.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Miller on radio said it was obviously foul, didn’t know why the review was taking so long. Flemm suggested the NY replay umps were on a bathroom break…

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:16 pm

One view (home plate)looked like it was two or three feet foul (although construction on an all white building behind the pole made the whole flight of the ball, tough to see). Another one, shot from the foul side, looked like the ball disappeared as it went by the pole (which would have made it fair). That side view had to be slowed way down to be able to see the ball pass the poll (foul).
        Still, it did take a long time.

35. Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I wonder why I’m getting the Giants feed today? Not complaining, just wondering.

36. Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Hudson fortunate this is only 1-0.

37. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Agree Mac. Way too many pitches by Hudson…need a couple of short innings for him, and score some fucking runs off of De La Hoser…

38. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Entire pitching staff, especially Lincecum, should take notes on how Huddy doesn’t ignore base runners. Same thing with that muffed grounder by Morse, which didn’t matter because Hudson did his job going to first. His baseball IQ is Einstein level.

39. Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Talk about small ball, these hits by the Rocks are just dinks and dunks.

40. Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm

The Great Hud-ini.

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:24 pm

So true.

41. Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Time to get some runs, before the storm hits em.

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Here comes the tarps.

42. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 1:27 pm

This is likely a storm cell and will probably last 15-30 minutes. If it goes longer than an hour, say adios to Huddy. No idea who they will bring in . . . Anywho, time for a nap. See ya on the flip side.

43. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Scheist. Looks like another hit to the pen. Is Kontos even here (there) yet?

44. Irish Kevin said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Wow, the DH thing coming up over an injury? Really. Well I go with NO DH. The DH was created so some Fat fuck who couldn’t field a position but could still hit for power extend his carreer, There is absolutely no strategy needed in the AL. The NL, score is tied in the 7th inning 2 men on 2 outs. Your Starting pitcher is pitching lights out ball. Do you pull him for a PH or let him hit. The AL has no such problems.

45. WilcoJoe said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:30 pm

They just said game will start back in fifteen minutes but Hudson will not be back. How long was the delay? Doesn’t seem long enough to cause you to lose your starter.

46. Irish Kevin said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm

This injury could have happen if he was running to cover 1st base. What if he had gotten off the mound late? Who was it that got hurt doing just that for the Giants. It has been awhile. Pulled a ham or hyper extended the knee I think when he touched the base.. Anyway like someone else pointed out, players get hurt. He was going all out due to the fact he does not get to hit very often. No big deal.

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:51 pm

It is when he;s your set up guy. What’s even worse is he pretty much blew off Bochy saying don;t swing and don’t run.

Shit I have ro re-enter my fricking info every time I post now. WTF?

47. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:48 pm

It was a little over an hour so that’s enough time to warrant swithching him out.

HUNTER!!

• WilcoJoe said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Didn’t realize it was that long. I took a business call and when I came back they were taking the tarp off.

48. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Stay hot Panda

49. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Morse was booking around those bases.

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Tell me he didn’t pull anything . . .

50. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 2:58 pm

WHOOT! Last I check…rain delay. Head off for a 1/2 hour meeting and come back to the game in progress and Giants up 2-1. Fuck yeah! Bury these motherfucker sherpas…

51. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Nothing like walking the bases loaded to face the hottest guy on the planet.

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:08 pm

52. Chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Huff channeling Hudson…as long as the sherpas don’t score, it is all good…

53. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Hudson is reported fine, they just pulled him due to the long delay. He wasn’t doing well anyway, that sinker doesn’t obey orders at 5280 feet…

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Which is why you bring in Casilla in the 9th.

Uh . . . . . . . see above . . .

54. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm

GOt the DP anyway. Limit the damage . . .

55. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Prince Fielder reported to have season ending disc surgery next week. That trade and contract is turning out well for Texas, isn’t it?. Even when healthy, Belt for $3 million, or Fielder for $24 millon? Hmmm…

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Fielder was supposedly healthy last year and still did a massive season long face plant. Sandoval should have his picture in his wallet as a warning about carrying extra weight . . . Or better yet, Fielder’s agent on speed dial. :-)

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Fielder supposedly is a vegetarian. What the hell is he eating — a pound of cashews per day?…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm

A lot of vegetarians eat tons of unhealthy food like curry and cheeses.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I’m shocked (if this is true). The only vegetable I can think of which is fatty, albeit, good fat, is avocado. He must be eating a ton of them. Now, you said vegetarian – so on 2nd thought, this means he must be eating either some dairy (e.g., cheese, eggs, milk), chicken, and/or fish. If he was Vegan, all of the aforementioned would be out. Shit, real vegans wont even eat honey, because of the ethics dilemma in that some honey bees are killed during the harvesting of the honey. Ridiculous.

56. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Another delay?

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Yep.

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Sheesh One on, no out? Gameday gets all hosed up when there;s a delay

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I think there is 2 out, with Cuddyer at 1st and Arenado coming to the plate.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:59 pm

blade is right…

57. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 3:57 pm

These multiple rain delay deals are BS. After two separate ones, in a tie like this after an official game is in they ought to call it a day, continue the game next time the Giants are in (early September). The game shouldn’t be potentially decided on who lucks out and has the lead when the rain comes back and stays and wipes out the rest of the game …

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Frickin’ rain today . . . Yesterday, it was tornadoes, hail, and lightening. Tomorrow? Locusts?

58. Flavor said, on May 22, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Morse punches Posey in the face as Posey catches the ball. As I have said twice now, Morse is a menace at 1B. Get him the fuck out of there

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Doubtful with all the other guys out. Unless Colvin can play 1st. Isn’t there still a rain delay?

Did Morse punch Posey putting his 1st baseman’s glove on?

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Posey can play first, Hector behind dish. Fucking Morse is a menace out there…..

59. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Mark Kiszla is a columnist at the Denver Post. In the last 12 months alone, he has “stirred the pot” with the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Utah Jazz, and Seattle Seahawks – calling each of them a number of insulting names and boasting about how the Broncos, Nuggets and now, Rockies will destroy the teams they play. He just wrote a column directed at the Giants and in the comment section, I gave him my opinion . . . http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_25811754/coors-field-beastly-its-visitors-again

• WilcoJoe said, on May 22, 2014 at 5:53 pm

He looks like a younger Bruce Jenkins…Too bad he doesn’t write like him.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Kiszla can KISZ ass. Fuck him. Two World Series in four years, bitches. Come back and talk when you’ve done the same.

60. Flavor said, on May 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I’ve never had a hammy injury so I’m talkin’ in the dark here but I read that Cain had a Grade 1 hammy strain and Casilla had a grade 2 hammy strain. These are strains, right? And yet one of them walks off the pitchers mound with some slight discomfort, under his own power, into the dugout. The other one writhes around on the ground in extreme pain, flip floppin’ like a fish out of water for 2 minutes and then needs TWO guys to carry him off the field, into the dugout, down the stairwell and into the locker room. And a half hour later this same guy is seen joking around about the play and the injury….
    So, either Casilla is a total pussy who can’t tolerate a little pain or he was embarrassed as fuck and over-acted that whole scene to draw attention away from what an idiot he looked like during the entirety of the play.
    So Casilla, which one of those guys do you want to be?

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:43 pm

According to the 1 to 3 hammy pull scale, I definitely had a 3 many years ago. Huge purple bruising from just above the back of my knee halfway up the back of my thigh — took weeks to go away, and I couldn’t really walk for about 6 weeks without pain. I can attest to major, sharp pain when it happened. I was running from first to second in a softball game, and boom — like I got knifed in the leg, and I went down in a heap. I can vouch for Casilla — it’s major pain in a major muscle group. The worst part was Mrs. snarkk told me as I left for the game “don’t hurt yourself”, and I gave her a waive off, as in “I can do this, hell, I used to be an athlete”. Then, I slinked back home, limping big time, and elevated my leg and asked for an icebag. She gave the ice to me, and at least had the decency to wait an hour before giving me the “I told you” treatment…

61. Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Puig having quite the adventure on the bases tonight. He’s twice been doubled off second off Hanley lineouts for a double play.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy…

62. zumiee said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Kemp played some lousy defense tonight. It was cool seeing the Dodgers lose on a Greinke start.
    And always enjoyable listening to the Mets broadcast crew.

The Padres busted out their retro-dookie unis tonight. Always a bad look.

My thought on Casilla: you’d think a pro athlete could run 30 yards and step on a base without getting injured. It’s not Beck Weathers surviving a climb of Mt. Everest and having to get both hands amputated.

63. zumiee said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:25 pm

The Giants/Rockies game will be resumed in early September, as part of a double-header. Both teams will have expanded rosters to help out. Should be very interesting.

64. zumiee said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I like interleague games, but I would admit that sometimes you get games that have almost no context to them. The Giants gave some context to the Cleveland series by working in the Kuiper connection. And as enjoyable as it was watching the Giants beat up on Cleveland, when the series was over, I didn’t feel like I really knew much more about the Cleveland team than when the series started. And now the Twins come in, and it will be another interleague series without context. There COULD have been context, had the Giants won the playoff series against the Cardinals in ’87, putting the Giants into the World Series against the Twins. The World Series match-up that never happened.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I’d rather see the Twins come in than the Pads or Dbacks for the umpteenth time…

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I see that point. :)

• Macdog said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:10 pm

The Giants considered moving to Minnesota before O’Malley talked Stoneham into going to California, so there’s that.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Thank you Mr. O’Malley…

65. zumiee said, on May 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

There was also some context to the Giants/Cleveland series, too, of course, in regards to the 60th anniversary of the Giants defeating Cleveland in the ’54 World Series, with Willie’s legendary catch.

66. snarkk said, on May 22, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Speaking of Kemp, what’s happened to this dude? He was all world, a near MVP two years ago, then tons of injuries since. Could the MLB enhanced testing regime have anything to do with anything?…

67. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I had the post game show recorded from last night so fired it up. The recording started in the top of the 9th with Craw up, so I got to see the entire Casilla AB with audio, etc. Knowing that Bochy specifically told him to not swing…I will say it one more time…what a dumbfuck move.

68. willedav said, on May 23, 2014 at 7:11 am

?: do the Giants get the entire AL Central this year? Cuz that would be a good thing, as most of them (including Tribe that was already here) are very mediocre except Detroit. And an SF-Det rematch would definitely have some context!
    And tho I dislike interleague it would be cool to see new look Royals and ChiSox. Wonder how many times those guys play in a full yard? Certainly not when they visit the A’s.

69. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 23, 2014 at 7:56 am

I don’t know what’s up with this renew message but I keep getting it am not allowed to renew when I click the link.

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2014 at 8:53 am

haha, thanks for clicking on it. I’ll renew it today.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 23, 2014 at 9:34 am

I suspected a Nigerian lottery scam but went for it anyway.

70. Chipower9 said, on May 23, 2014 at 8:42 am

I (and many others) were getting the renewal message. I sent Flavor an email on this, and he said not to worry that he would handle it. Keep On Flappin’!

71. Chipower9 said, on May 23, 2014 at 8:51 am

Willie – Yes, Giants do play all the AL Central teams this year.

Tribe was here (mini Flapalooza in April).
    Twins here next series.
    White Sox – Away in June and here in August.
    Royals – Away in August.
    Tigers – Away in Sept.

So, while we face them all, the Royals and Tigers do not visit the Phone Park.

The entire month of September, outside of the three games in Detroit, are all against NL West teams.

72. Flavor said, on May 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

thanks for the heads up on the notices. I’ve been super busy, haven’t dealt with it until just now. Renewed the domain mapping and the custom design of the blog. You shouldn’t see another message like that for another year.

73. snarkk said, on May 23, 2014 at 9:03 am

The Flap lives on!…

74. unca_chuck said, on May 23, 2014 at 9:15 am

Now, about that BBOTD . . .

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers