Off to St Louis

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 29, 2014

Grinding series coming up in St Louis and with no off day it’s go-time against Jaime Garcia tonight. I still remember a few years ago, it may even have been 2010, where we got completely shut down by Garcia. He pitched a complete game and I want to say he did it in 81 pitches. I recall being disgusted with our effort and venting long and loudly about it on the blog…..

And Garcia is arguably the EASY starting pitcher we have to face in St Louis. He’s a couple of starts back from torn labrum surgery last year. After Garcia, we *get* to face Wainwright, then Wacha, then Lynn. Actually, I guess Lynn is the weak link in that foursome.

The reason you don’t discount beating up on hapless teams like the Cubs is that you need those wins in the bank when you go on tough road trips like this one. I don’t see this series with the Cardinals as a measuring stick. I see it as something to survive, get through uninjured and move on through the rest of a long 162 game season.

Just don’t get swept, I’d consider that a victory…….

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:59 am

Over the years it seems weird things have happened on our trips to St Lou. The team plane left right after yesterdays game, so hopefully they got settled in early enough to not feel it today and hopefully nothing weird happens.

In 2012, I went to the July games in DC, it was hot, hell the game on the fourth must have been 150 degrees outside, the team melted and we got swept. However, we did go on to win the WS that year, so yes, during the long season there are some series that you just want to survive. Then again, this team can grind with the best of them so maybe it’ll be a fun road trip with some of our hitters just going off in both St Louis and Cinci. 4 and 3 would be good, 5 and 2 would be better, so that’s what I’m rooting for.

2. stickman said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:58 am

Been anticipating a split in St. Louis for some weeks now. Cards always play tough down by the Arch. StL sends out some tough hurlers as Flav points out. Wainwright/Bumgarner should be a showcase of Aces. Giants do have the power edge and probably with our bullpen as well.

Side note: Did a bit of stat searching again this morning and noted that SF now significantly tops the league in run differential. Glants have scored 47 more than given up. This looks pretty spiffy till you check the AL stats in that category and one team stands out ~ Oakland incredibly has outscored its opponents by 101 tallies. Unreal.

3. Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:32 am

Good thread Flavor. I remember that game… it was August of 2010. I believe it was Garcia’s first complete game, and a shut-out to boot. I don’t recall the exact score, but it was an old fashioned ass whoopin’ if memory serves me correctly. But we did win the WS that year. I agree…these trips to the midwest are all about survival. A split has to be considered a victory, especially if no one gets hurt, and you don’t over-tax your bullpen.

VogelStrong gets it going tonight for the Gigantes. Let’s hope that Nicole sent him with a care package of chicken enchiladas. Garcia’s stats (granted he only has two starts this year due to the injury mentioned above) look pedestrian on the surface, but the one stat that jumps out is the 0.87 WHIP.

Big Country and Wainwright looks like a hell of a match-up in game 2. And Cain is currently slated (per MLB) to pitch in game 3 (from talk the past couple of days, I was kind of surprised he didn’t end up on the 15 day again). Hudson and Lynn close out the series in another intriguing match-up.

I will be very happy with a split. Take 3 of 4 there would be fantastic.

3-4 for the trip would not be the end of the world, as long as they came out of it with no injuries and a somewhap fresh bullpen. 4-3 would be very good and anything over that would be a kick-ass roadie. Thank goodness for the off day on Monday.

4. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:47 am

Tough roadie, but I don’t see this team getting crushed. They know what they’re up against. The Cards series could be an early window on the playoffs. Tighten up the D, get some double plays, and they’ll be OK. You can’t play shoddy D against the Cards. To .500 on the road is always the goal. Looks like it won’t be hot as a furnace back there, that’s a plus…

5. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:15 am

Surprised to see Cinn ranked 28th in hitting… Stl 20th. Should be an interesting test. After the past 7-3, RT, think they will be fine. And unlike in past yrs, they won’t be overpowered. Posey unlocked obviously would help.

6. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

Latos in Cincy has been injured, now on minor league rehab. Can’t tell if he’ll be activated for Giants series. It would be nice to kick his butt just coming off rehab. That playoff win against him in Cincy when Buster pounded that upper deck Slam and Romo closed the door in the 9th was IMO one of the greatest, most exciting SF Giants wins ever. My fingernails are still chewed back from that one…

• Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:29 am

Awesome video…kindled up some great memories. Thanks for sharing, snarkk. I agree…would love to see the Giants punk Latos.

7. Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:41 am

I did not see or hear any pre- or post-game yesterday, but did see this morning that Cain threw a BP session yesterday (about 40 pitches, including breaking balls). He also played long-toss at about 120 feet with Big Country. The Horse supposedly looked strong and reported no discomfort. That’s great news…now to see him really get on track and have a string of dominating starts.

8. stickman said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:48 am

Some sweet memories in that video. Wondering whether the Giants may be just a bit in the heads of both the Cards and the Reds after those stunning series wins in the 2012 Playoffs. Oddly, this time around, SF holds the considerable edge in hitting, particularly in the long-ball. Nevertheless, i’d be happy enough to go 3-4 on this leg and delighted with a 4-3 edge over this next week of games.

9. ewisco said, on May 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

it will be interesting to see if Morse’s off field power becomes a factor. dude can go oppo.

10. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2014 at 10:39 am

Yeah, better now than July-Aug in St Looie. My only visit to St Loo was back in the late 70s on a 2 hour layover. It was 103ยบ and raining . . .

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 11:58 am

Chuck, I thought you would be interested in this SI link about Bill Walsh. Specifically, Bill Walsh taped EVERY team meeting and practice in his entire 49er coaching career. There is also a team meeting video of him telling the players what to expect on their trip to New York, where they met the Giants on Monday Night Football. Wonderful stuff! Here’s the link . . . http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/28/nfl-history-95-objects-bill-walsh-49ers-coaching-tapes/

11. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 11:31 am

I’d be thrilled with a 3-4 roadie. The Reds don’t seem all that strong, although Chapman was off the charts last night, closing out the Dodgers. Hitting 102 consistently on his fastball, and 95 (!) on his slider. He was a hot knife through soft butter. It was like watching something fictional.
    The Reds seem like the Phillies; window closing on an aging core.
    The Cardinals are the Cardinals. They remind me of the Washington Redskins of the ’80s and ’90s. Never spectacular, but whenever the rest of the teams stumble, there they are getting to play for a championship.
    —–
    I was talking to a Dodger fan the other day who feels like the Dodgers can pull another 42-8 streak out of their rear-end when they need to. My counterpoint to that is that last year’s 42-8 streak was fueled by two main things: bringing up Puig, and Ramirez having a strong second half of the season. Well, Puig has been up all 2014 season. Unless the Dodgers have another Puig in the minors, they’re already getting the full-Puig. Ramirez? He’s another year older, and seems to be swinging for the fences every at-bat. Big uppercut swing and low batting average. Gonzalez, Kemp, Ethier, Crawford? All another year older, and not playing at their back-of-the-baseball-card best.
    Kershaw, so far, is not the Kershaw of last year. And hot-shot reliever Withrow has torn a ligament, and needs Tommy John surgery.
    On the plus side for the Dodgers, Dee Gordon has been better than expected, and the back of their rotation is better than last year. But still, Dodger fans may be disappointed waiting for that 42-8 surge.

• stickman said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Another 42-8 run or even something vaguely similar would be like expecting lightning to strike the same scene twice. Points about Puig, Ramirez and Gordon are well taken. Giants edges are a bit more power throughout most of the lineup, better bullpen and that oft-cited chemistry. Dodgers starting pitching may hold a slight edge, but nothing like it seemed going into the season.

At 34-19 currently if SF goes just a hair over .500 the rest of the way they finish at 91-71. Keeping up the current pace and they go 102-60. Splitting the difference a bit conservatively places them at 96-66. That seems pretty attainable. Think the LaBumbos got it in them to go 97-65? Realistically, they just about hafta do that well to top the Giants.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, and a case can be made that when the Giants get to June, the Giants will have weathered the toughest part of their schedule.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I hadn’t heard about Withrow. Wow. This TJ epidemic stuff is crazy…

12. Irish Kevin said, on May 29, 2014 at 11:37 am

Not a lot to cmplain about with this team. Improvements needed? maybe. with this team the injury bug is about the only thing they need to worry about. Pitching is becoming solid and the hitting is solid. GO GIANTS

• Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 11:44 am

They need to tighten-up their D…it has been way too sloppy of late…

13. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 11:52 am

The Dodger fan you were chatting with Zumiee is delusional. The 42-8 streak is an oddity, along the lines of the Sherpa’s 2007 Rocktober and Tibet’s Yeti (Abominable Snowman). In short, not going to happen. As we speak, you can add Crawford to the walking wounded, as he just went on the DL (again). They have quite a few players that are hurting right now. Tough cheese . . .

I also agree with you about Kershaw. He isn’t the same, albeit, he is still very good, Yes, his ERA is 3.57, which is high for him. However, his peripheral stats 46:7 K:BB in 35.1 innings and his FIP of 1.77 shows just how dominant he’s really been this season. Indirectly, he was responsible for winning me some money last night – I had Brandon Phillips on my Fan Duel team and he went yard against that chump with a 2 run blast. The Reds would tack on a run later in the game and that was enough to send him and the Bums to the showers with a loss. Tonight, I am looking forward to Gerrit Cole kicking some Dodger ass.

• willedav said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Watched Kazmir dominate Detroit and then pick up the complete game W when A’s rallied for 3 in 9th off Nathan. I remember you talking him up…if he’s the type of solid vet they can use to (finally) take down Tigers, look out. Hope Hudson can remain strong into post season too.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, I wish we had gotten us some Kazmir. However, with only 5 rotation slots, that would have been tough to do (especially with the commitment to Voggy – which fortunately, has worked out for us). Willie, I’m more upset about my 2 FL teams being shut out of the Kazmir sweepstakes. LOL. Seriously, Kazmir is a “feel good” story as his reemergence last year should have won him Comeback Player Of The Year honors in my opinion. Nevertheless, he has found a home in Oakland and I’m happy for him.

14. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Yeah, Blade, Dodger fans got their cock-of-the-walk confidence back last season and brought it into this season (for their team that last went to the World Series during the Reagan administration.)
    One of the other things the Dodger fans aren’t factoring in is that the NL West is going to compete with the Dodgers for the division title. The title wasn’t contested last season. It’s still relatively early in the season, but for sure the Giants have the fire and hunger back again, and a reloaded team, fully capable of taking the division title. No cakewalk for the Dodgers this season.

15. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I’ll preface this by saying the Cards will be tough for us, if only because the Giants have to travel to this mid-West middle of nowhere out post. Couple that with the arm pit humidity, yeah, I agree this will be a tough nut to crack. However, the Cards are NOT playing outstanding baseball . . . At least, it isn’t on par with what they did last year. Most of their position players are having sub par years (e.g., Matt Holliday has 3 freakin’ home runs). Additionally, new faces haven’t lived up to expectations (Peralta, Wong, Bourjos). The team as a whole is 20th in runs and 24th in slugging percentage.

However, pitching is another story, e.g., WHIP of 1.18 and ERA of 3.25 is excellent. If the Giants can solve their pitching, then I think we can expect a split in this 4 game series.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I don’t know about Zummie but not much to report on yesterdays game. The Giants dominated to close out the series as they should have considering they’ve lost as many games as the Cubs have won. It was a blue sky day by the bay. The men in SF still dress like nerds and the women are still beautiful.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:21 pm

You had excellent seats Dirt . . . Sounds like a great day.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Yeah, those were pretty sweet. My wife’s uncle has been talking those up (without offering them I might add) for a couple of years now. Even his brother (FIL) thought he was full of it. We got in on the group this year and got 5 games. It works out to like $42 per game. Pretty sweet deal. We’re hoping to stay in the group next year.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Another beautiful day for baseball by the Bay, even with some Cubs fans in my group. :) You gotta like Cubs fans keepin’ the faith. But don’t feel sorry for Cubs fans. They’re the same fans who enjoyed 6 Bulls championships with Jordan, and the Bears winning in ’85. That’s 7 times experiencing championship glory. The same way the Niners sustained us through the ’80s and ’90s.

Then the Rockies and Dodgers losing last night made for a marvelous day of baseball.
      My next game at the yard is looking to be July 3rd, vs. St. Louis.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 2:16 pm

$42 per seat? Where you guys were? WOW! You buy from the POS scalpers on SubHub a day or two before the game and they charge you $180 plus (along with your first born male) where you guys were at. Hilarious. I was surprised when snarkk got us the upper club seats for $50 (or $52) looking down on the 1st base bag.

17. Nipper said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Hunter’s got his scooter back and all is well.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Yes, we were all wondering how the multi-millionaire would recover from such a loss. :)

18. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Who would have envisioned end of May and SF15 games over .500 already? Not me. This team looks like it is not going to crater like last year. It’s already surviving loss of Belt, and most of the season so far with subpar jobs by Panda and Posey. They should improve, Panda already is. I think even if Pagan went down for a short period of time, the team would survive it. Long term, that would still be a major problem — there’s nobody close that could replace the energy he brings. Upshot — things look good, and barring major injury to a couple of key position players and/or rotation guys, the Giants should be in the hunt in September. Sabes likely will do his normal thing and pick up somebody at the deadline to bolster the bench…

19. Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm

To continue with the thought of Stickman’s 12:26 post.

Say the Giants do play .500 (will have to be one game over since they have 109 games left) and go 55-54. They end up 89-73.

For the Dodgers to take the West with a 90-72 record, they would have to go 61-47 rest of the way.

It is still early as we’re creeping up on the 1/3 mark of the season, but the way the Giants are assembled, and the way they are playing…I like what I see.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:36 pm

The Pen, IMO, is the strength of the team. Even with Casilla down for maybe a month, Kontos comes up and has been nails — has some new pitches, and an improved slider — so far so good. The only Pen worry I have is a slight one, it’s Lopez, he’s apparently had elbow issues, but looked good in his last appearance after some pretty flat performances. He’s only exposed to LHBs anyway, so I’m not too worried about it. Hembree, Runzler and Law are down below, plus a coupla other decent arms, so there’s pretty good backup ammo if somebody else goes down…

20. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:34 pm

The Rockies had a devastating loss to the Phillies yesterday. Two Rockies errors in the ninth (one by Tulo) gave the Phillies 5 outs, and the Phillies ended up tying the game, and then eventually winning on a Howard walk-off HR.
    Man, that’s rough. :)

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Especially by has been Howard. Shit, in fantasy league, Howard is on the waiver wire (prior to his injury, this would NEVER have happened). Zum, your earlier point about the Phillies not being pro-active about replacing their stars is spot on. Additionally, the ridiculous contract they gave Howard BEFORE HIS INJURY was brain dead as well. Usually, the Giants don’t make that mistake of falling in love with their player’s baseball card hype.

21. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:45 pm

The A’s suck. They’re not broadcasting today’s game on TV? And I can’t watch the Tigers’ broadcast of the game because all A’s opponents’ broadcasts (like the Giants) are automatically blacked out on the MLB package in my area.

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Pagan CF
    Pence RF
    Sandoval 3B
    Morse 1B
    Sanchez C
    Hicks 2B
    Crawford SS
    Blanco LF
    Vogelsong RHP

Posey out again. Either the back is still an issue or something else.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I wish Blanco and Adrianza would look at video of Dee Gordon. Gordon shows bunt enough to get the 3rd baseman really playing in, creating more space in the hole to slap hits to the opposite field. Instead we get a lot of fly outs and strike outs from Blanco and Adrianza. I don’t get it. USE the speed you have. It’s a weapon!

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Thank you. What I don’t get even more is why the coaches and manager aren’t pushing that agenda. If they are pushing it, then why isn’t it displayed on the field? If they aren’t pushing it, then I don’t understand that at all…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 29, 2014 at 3:28 pm

When Adrianza came up late in the game with the bases juiced (if I remember right) I said to my FIL, hit the ball on the ground through the infield here and he might play tomorrow. Sure enough, fly ball to left. Then when Affeldt came in I said that I expected him to promptly lose the no hitter and get yanked. Sure enough that happened too. lol.

I thought Bochy got a little bullpen happy yesterday but I think sometimes he does that thinking ahead to playing a team like the Cardinals. He wants to get as many arms in there are possible and shake the cobwebs loose.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Dirt, I dunno, I called Bochy on it at the time. Overmanaging? Kontos was pitching nails, got through the 6th like a knife through butter, not many pitches. But, nope, Kontos is done. Bochy brings in Affeldt on the double switch in the 7th with Blanco put in LF, Blanco takes Kontos’ #9 hole due up in bottom 7th. Blanco DID start the 3-run rally in bottom 7th with a single, but he could have done that PHing for Kontos, then taken over LF in top 8th. It’s knee jerk time sometimes with Bochy. He switches because he can. Felipe was a terrible pen manager, he went with “feel” a lot, not by the book. But, sometimes “feel” is good. If Kontos is dealing, let him deal onemore inning, he had an easy 6th. No. So, Bochy burned Affeldt after two guys got on in the 7th, and then had to burn Machi and Guitierrez in succession to finish the game. If he leaves Kontos in, Kontos finishes the 7th. Then Gutierrez could maybe have done 8th and 9th, since SF took the 5-0 lead in bottom 7th. Machi maybe never even has to get up. All’s well that ends well, I suppose, but it seemed too forced of a move or unecessay to me.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I agree on pulling Kontos. We were saying pretty much the same in the seats. He looked good and was doing well. Bochy does over manage the BP a bit but he manages those arms well so it is hard to take issue. When he trots Lopez out to face a RH hitter it always bewilders me though. To me it’s not so much that they hit him better (which they do) but their OBP is something like .400 against him so if he fails, whoever comes in behind him is starting out behind. Lopez should not be facing RH hitters at all in my opinion.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Lopez should never face a RH hitter unless the game is out of hand…

23. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Blade, that’s an awesome article about Bill Walsh. Thanks! Great primary-source insight into a brilliant coach.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, I’ve always been fascinated by Walsh’s genius. This article really illuminated how instrumental he was in putting together a once in a lifetime football dynasty. His “learning tree” will bear fruit (i.e., today and tomorrow’s coaches) for years and years. The only negative was when the author highlighted the fact that this period of time was 30 years ago. Sheesh, did I feel old. :-)

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 3:21 pm

It was certainly a magical time. Likely never to be repeated here, or anywhere…

24. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Yeah, Posey had what they are calling a ‘flare up’ of his back issues. He’s available to PH.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Uh oh. Maybe kicked up by the 3 hour flight? Again, nobody in the beat writer corps is onto the details of what this is all about. At least not that I’ve seen. Bochy said the other day he was fine. Right. A bad back in a catcher is very uncool…

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Schulman’s twitter says “no shot needed” for Posey. Great — so encouraging, so enlightening. Shot where? In the arm, in the ass, neck, upper back, shoulder, lower back? Great reporting…

25. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:18 pm

right now Hector is more of offensive threat that Marco Posey.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:23 pm

HAHAHA . . . POTD for me. Good one Salty. I have him on one of my FL teams and if it isn’t his 0fers, then it’s his MIAs. I have no idea what’s wrong with Posey, but since the end of last season, he essentially has just been “another guy.”

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm

he hit in the .240’s in the second half of last season so he’s been “another guy” for a while now……

26. Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 4:59 pm

RE: Salt’s 4:18. Posey has always been a streaky hitter. He’ll be fine.

And Hector does not pose the threat that Posey does. He gets into one on occasion, but his numbers don’t stack up to Buster’s…even with Buster slumping.

Hector:
    .247, .280, .400, .680 (BA, OBP, SLG, OPS) – 2 HRs

Buster:
    .254, .333, .396, .730 7 HRs

• salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Well, I was joking. Sort of.

I was wrong…Posey last 7 days .094. Hector .091.

27. Chipower9 said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Outta here for my the rehearsal dinner for my son’s wedding. He ties the knot on Saturday.

Catch you Flappers on the flip-side.

GO GIANTS! Whoop some DeadBird ass!

28. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I’m going to refer Posey to my chiropractor. Holistic healer…

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnnnn. Works for me too.

29. Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Cardinals fans have to hate the Giants more than Giants fans hate the Cardinals, right? Didn’t 2012 heal a lot of old wounds for you guys? It did for me. I’ll never forget Matheny standing on those dugout stairs soaking wet, not moving an inch, just doing a slow, sad burn as his team was eliminated…..

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Oh yeah, 2012 squared things up, IMO. 2002 started the process, when the Giants eliminated the Cardinals, then 2012 sealed the deal.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I dunno. I think the Giants need to burn the Cards in one more NLCS for me to really forget the Jose Oquendo 1987 NLCS game 7 HR and his + Ozzie’s 1988 ChickenS attack on the Thrill at 2nd base…

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Not a favorite moment of Cardinals fans: :)

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm

that was such a magical night. It was almost like a dream.

30. Macdog said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Morse power!

31. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Nice hit, Blanco!
    (Not sure what he was doing after he rounded first, though.)

32. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Steve Ballmer, ex CEO of Microsoft, reportedly has an offer on the table for the Clippers at $2.0 billion. For the Clipjoint? I don’t know how that pencils out. The Kings (2013) and Bucks (just sold recently) sold in the $550M range. I figured around $1 billion tops, not knowing anything about what the Clips cable TV deal is. The Dodgers were bought at $2.15 billion a year and a half ago. At least one source reports Sterling says he won’t sell, another $2 billion isn’t changing his life. I need a Makers…

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Apparently, he doesn’t want to sell because the tax bite could be as much as $500 million smackeroos. He wants to leave the franchise to his heirs where the IRS only gets a fraction of that amount. On the other end of the spectrum – the Buffalo Bills are going to be lucky to get $800 million for their NFL franchise from the news sources I have. That seems like a great deal, especially if someone can turn that franchise around. I would much rather have an NFL franchise at that price then any NBA franchise not named the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks. .

33. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Uh oh, the bad Vogelsong is popping up…

34. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Anybody with me in questioning why not Panda throw home with that grounder, get the DP that way and avoid the run scoring?…

35. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Missing Belt at 1b hurt right there…

36. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Yes, Mr Sandoval!

37. Macdog said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Panda power!

38. Bozo said, on May 29, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Panda!

39. Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Hey, they’re hanging in there. Battling. Maybe we steal this one late…..

40. paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:37 pm

There are two recent disses of the Giants that will always stand out for me, both in 2012. The first was that July 4th series in DC that Bozo mentioned. I was visiting my folks in NJ, and my Dad and I were watching, getting the Nats’ announcers. They were actually laughing at the Giants, mocking them, and talking about how the Nats were definitely going to the Series. I had never heard such arrogance from announcers. The second was right before game 5 of the NLCS in St. Louis. There was one quick camera shot of the Cards’ dugout, and a few of the players were doing a mock job of Pence’s pre-game pep talk stuff, laughing it up. Hah. Getting the last and best laugh that year was so sweet. So sweet, that I want to see it again this year.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Didn’t know about either incident (particularly the 2nd). Fuck ‘em both.

• Bozo said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Paul that whole series the fans, ushers etc, were very cool to me. that last game, where the Nats came from behind got a bit iffy. I still smoked at the time and the Nats guys in the smoking section turned to complete assholes. Weird.
      I’ll be at the August games this year, so if you are in DC let me know.

• paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Will do, Bozo.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:21 pm

DAMN

41. Bozo said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Morse.

42. Macdog said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Rally time!

43. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:45 pm

That was pick your poison for metheny,…hot panda or Morse with risp 2 outs.

44. paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Ah, just talking about the playoffs in 2012 and then Morse with the big hit, feels like playoff baseball already… :-) Yeah, fuck the Dead Birds.

45. stickman said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Maybe its time to learn Morse Code. Vogelsong was getting slightly outpitched but kept us in the game. For whatever unaccountable reason Matheney went with a reliever who could not hold em and Monster Michael Morse made em pay for walking Panda. Now imagine this lineup with Belt in the middle of things. This is becoming a team that can do it all.

46. Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Machi is unreal. Where has he been all our lives? lol

47. Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I’m down with Machi but I’m not down with all this all star stuff. He has no role, how does a pitcher ever get elected to the AS game with no role?

48. paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:57 pm

One good thing about Morse playing 1B instead of LF is Bochy isn’t pulling him in the 6th inning anymore….

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm

that lame move has to get discarded once Belt comes back…..

• paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Agree. His bat in the lineup late in the game will tend to generate more runs than the occasional shoddy play in left, I would think.

49. Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Morse is one of the worst celebrators at 2nd base I’ve ever seen. He’s into it, he’s genuine, but his 2nd base celebration is hardly in the “Pagan” territory. It’s a little less than a salute. It’s like Elaine dancing in a Seinfeld episode……..

50. Alleykat said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Jean Machi has been a “Lights out” A+++ player for us all year! For rating a Giant “He is the Man” in a league of his own right now!

51. Bozo said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:07 pm

OK Romo, make the two hold up.

52. Macdog said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:08 pm

C’mon Sergio.

53. Flavor said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Kirk Reuter was not a very good pitcher. He wasn’t nearly the pitcher for the Giants that Kruk and Kuip remember. That fucking shed is clouding their memory.

54. paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Romo still makes me nervous as the closer, but I feel a bit better tonight with a 2-run lead….. :-)

55. stickman said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Machi is almost unfair. Wondering what Casilla would bring on the open market in 3-4 weeks. But why sacrifice him? He can close too, you know. Noted earlier today that bullpen and power bats consist of Giants edge over St. Louis.

On Belt’s return that bench looks pretty formidable. Give El Tiburon Blanco a start here and there to rest the regulars and the results may resemble tonight’s. Blanco, Colvin and Hector make for not too bad backups. At this point who knows about Adrianza. As the only pure shortstop high in the pipeline and very capable on the field his defensive value is close to outweighing his offensive deficiency. Would like to see a move to one less Bully and one more position player. Still liking the idea of picking up an aging playmaker from a team which is not likely to see October.

56. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Get nervous when Romo exceeds about 15 pitches

57. paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:21 pm

And starting to feel a bit less good about just the 2-run lead… sheesh, Romo.

58. Macdog said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Whew!

59. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Whew’..Wilsonian torture

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I’m going on Twitter to bruit that about, borrowing your phrase, sorta.

60. Bozo said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Game one, is won.

61. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Nice. :-)

62. salty said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Awesome netting the first one…

63. paulinasia said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, a very good win to start the roadie….

64. pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Easy-peasy, from a hotel in Stamford, CT. (Tnx, Macdog, for alerting me to free MLB. Caught the TORTURE of the 9th.) G’night, girls, and Tedspe wherever you are, gentleman question mark.

65. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Any people in the public who think baseball is boring have NO IDEA WHAT THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT. :)

66. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I’m thinking…..Flapalooza……at Woody’s shed!!

67. stickman said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Now it can be admitted. Tonight’s was one of the two i was counting on for that 2-2 split in St. Louis. Romo bent but ultimately did not break vs a very good team which has an engrained habit of winning. Winner, meet the winner. As of tonight we are back in their heads, rallying in the 8th, making music with Machi and then struggling with Romo to hang onto it. Bullpen roles may transform some while before this season’s over. Like Salty noted, winning that first one is awesome.

Next question: Do the Giants pass the Wainwright test? With some Panda power happening we did not do badly vs Samalphabetsoup and Kershaw’s magic vs SF has dipped a bit this year. So maybe it comes down to Country Snotrockets matching the Card’s ace and at least one Giants batter picking on the Redbird.

68. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Reuter was sort of the anti-Cain. Reuter could have an ERA of 4, and win 14 games. His teammates got him some runs.
    Still wanted Reuter instead of Livan in Game 7, 2002 W.S……

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Good point. Except I think that Game 7 was not to be won…. WAIT.
      ALL THAT HAS BEEN EXORCISED. TWICE.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Very good point, Pawlie. Perhaps if the Giants had won it all in 2002, then things might have played out differently and they don’t win the second ring. The butterfly-wing effect and all that.
        Mind = blown.

69. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Russell Martin HRs, and Pirates lead Dodgers 3-2. Go Bucs! :)

70. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Puig thinks he hit a homerun, and does a massive bat-flip, but…..the ball’s in the park and he has to race around for a double. The Pirates did not dig the bat-flip. Puig is a jackass.

71. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I was making spinach enchiladas for the snarkkettes while the game was finishing. Morse is a Horse. A good point was made above that I and others have made before — taking him out as of the 7th frame or so when ahead is bullcrap. Leave him in for another AB, unless the game is a laugher. He’s adequate with the glove in LF, well worth another AB late, if needed. Panda has found whatever he lost, and is building his case nightly for a big payday. If he ends up north of .285 at season end, and still in shape, he’ll be inundated with contract offers > $100M. Hopefully, Voggy can find next start whatever it was he lost tonight, though he arguably kept the squad in the game…

72. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Machi is at 0.33 ERA — Holy Enchiladas! Romo is off his feed right now…

73. zumiee said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Brandon League pitched like Vin Scully, and the Bucs lead 6-3. Do the Pirates have a bullpen?

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:34 pm

A good one, albeit, not as good as last season (Grilli and Melancon).

74. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Cards fans are ripping Matheny on the St. Louis blogs. That ain’t good. But, they are calling the Giants a “good” team. I agree…

75. snarkk said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:34 pm

On the highlights, you can see Kuiper is starting to lose it a little. He’s calling Blanco “Pagan”…

76. SanDawg said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Tentative deal in place to sell the Clippers for not one, but TWO billion dollars! That is some serious coin. I kinda scoffed when Flav said he thought they’d fetch a billion, easy.
    My hopes for a protracted, ugly, public, court battle are dwindling. I’m so disappointed.

• Nipper said, on May 29, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Yeah Sterling is too pathetic to put up a battle for anything let alone a sports franchise.

77. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Shit, a part of me thinks Sterling did this shit on purpose to drive up the value of the team. Create a huge con-tro-ver-sy and watch the doo-gooders swoop in and throw down. Fucking Oprah offered 1.4 bill.

Between the 10 billionth truckload of shit I’ve been moving, I managed to catch Pagan’s game tying base hit, and Morse’s wicked double. These guys are smokin hot..

And, shit, I’m still baffled that Reuter is the winningest lefty in Giants history.

• Nipper said, on May 30, 2014 at 8:15 am

Moving a whole lot of Shit?

78. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Plus, old friend El Tiburon Blanco is batting .221!!

79. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Doggers lose! 6-3 . . .

80. willedav said, on May 30, 2014 at 7:21 am

Only caught the end of this one on TV, but flems and miller said the pitcher blocked Molina from seeing the ball when Blanco scored. Matheny confirmed it, guy should have been behind him backing up the plate. walking Sandoval, way hot and with an HR earlier, was not a dumb move–Morse made them pay for it.. Matheny’s players cost him this one.
    Romo doesn’t seem to be able to control his slider, esp vs. LH, where he leaves it over the plate. Hector has the target down and in (back foot) and instead it’s up and out over the plate. To RHs he was still bending it down/out away from their reach.
    Good for Blanco. I’ve said before he is a better player than he has shown so far and he comes thru with colvin on bench. Bochy pushing all the right buttons lately–Adrianza singled stole a base and scored the other night, Hector catches Lincecum and then all night yesterday and SF wins without Posey, again. Love seeing SF kick STL ass.

81. James said, on May 30, 2014 at 7:34 am

This year’s team after 54 games has scored 234 runs and has a 35-19 record. Last year after 54 games, they had 243 runs scored and a 29-25 record. The difference, of course, is that this year’s team has given up only 186 runs as opposed to the 245 they’d allowed last year to this point.

82. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 30, 2014 at 9:23 am

Coming back three times. Are you kidding me? What a game last night.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers