Standard Time Tim

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 4, 2014

Last night, Timmy was awful and there’s no way to defend that performance. Of course, it wasn’t too hard to predict, he’s always horrendous against the Reds (regular season). He’s never beaten them. For a guy with 93 wins and 2 CY wins, that’s almost hard to believe…..

At 17 million a year we should expect, as a bare minimum, better consistency from him. He was pretty consistent in May, better than that actually. His ERA was 2.86 for the month. But it’s hard to give that stat too much credit after games like last night.

As Giants fans, we’re conditioned to expect greatness from all starting pitchers not-named-Zito. Big Tim Timmy Jim is no longer *great* and he hasn’t been for some time now. But everyone thought Voggy was done a month ago and I don’t think too many of us are saying that now.

Timmy isn’t done. He’s not awful. He doesn’t suck. He’s like a lot of pitchers on every staff in the league. He’s average. And it’s hard to purge *average* from your pitching staff unless you want to go with a 2 man rotation all year long……

__________________

ps–you guys filled up the “walk down concert memory lane” stat sheet last night. Lot’s of great tales told and as Macdog said, “the comments far outweighed the game…”

About these ads

1. willedav said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:11 am

TL may still be capable of the occasional gem, but I think that’s only deodorant that hides the ugly smelling rest of his body of work. His ERA is back over 5.00, and we are now into the 3rd season of suckitude or *average* if you want to put it that way. With one and a half to go…
    I didn’t see yesterday and the defense obviously didn’t help him, tho he hurt himself defensively and that has never been a strength of his, like holding runners on. The other night tho with bum on the mound Crawford and Hicks screwed up a potential DP ball, all hands were safe, and Bum pitched his way out of it. Lincecum is more like J Sanchez was, when errors just seemed to ignite an explosion of hits walks runs around him.

Flav, if the playoffs started today (with healthy Cain), isn’t this 2012 all over again with Lincecum exiled to the pen for short series? I really think Blade and Snarkk are onto something–he needs to simplify the motion to regain command. I’m sure Bochy and Rags would love to help him figure out how to stay productive and finish out the contract, but I don’t know if that is possible in starting rotation. This isn’t a new development for them either.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:15 am

If The playoffs started today and Tim could do what he did from the BP in 2012 I think we’d celebrate him wildly.

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:32 am

Agree about the bullpen move (if we could only find someone to take his place in the rotation), but this isn’t likely to happen.

I’ll double down on what I said last night – by any reasonable measure, Tim has “sucked” this season (and for the last 3 seasons as Willie noted). Not certain, but last night’s outing, put him over a 5.00 ERA. Wow! I think Morales of the Sherpas has the distinction of leading the league at over 6.00, but you can’t disguise a 5.00 plus ERA as anything but terrible.

However, I think there is hope. He does need to simplify his motion, as I said last night, but this is a long term process, better addressed in the off-season. It isn’t going to happen during the season. Hey, there are many examples of former great pitchers making the transition to a “finesse” style pitcher and succeeding wonderfully. Timmy is a frickin’ 2-time CY Young award winner. In short, if anyone can do this, he can. At the end of the season, if he is where he is now – he’ll need to look in the mirror and recognize that change is needed . . . Not always easy to do (as most people are afraid of change).

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:20 am

Agree on the need to make changes…excellent points, Blade. And as you noted, easier said than done. You have a guy who has a very unorthodox pitching motion that was created by his dad (with whom he is very close). I can see how someone like Timmy says to himself “Fuck it! I was a mow ‘em down power pitcher before and I can be one again.” Which I think is the wrong fucking answer. He doesn’t have the fastball velocity he once had. He will have to change and get by on location and mixing his pitches. It could happen, but with his history and make-up, I am not holding my breath. I think the best place for him in that final year of his two year deal is as a late-inning specialist.

2. Nipper said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:41 am

Timmy sucks.

3. salty said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:42 am

I have to disagree about the motion /delivery change. Without the unique delivery that gives him added torgue and takes pressure off his arm, he probably throws 82 mph and blows out a shoulder.

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:23 am

I disagree. See Greg Maddux as an example. I think Tim does need to modify his delivery (and as I stated earlier on this thread) learn to win with control and mixing his pitches. Regarding the days of him being a dominate strike ‘em out starter, well that dog won’t hunt.

• salty said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

Frankly, I think we saw in April Tim’s attempt to be more like Greg. Or the other Tim. This was supposed to be the year his transition from power guy to finesse was completed, not started. It began last yr. Giants were banking on it.

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:06 am

Salt – I do not recall any talk about big changes in reworking Timmy’s delivery, etc. Maybe in everyone’s mind this was the year for that transition to happen, but again, I do not recall lots of dialogue on the topic.

4. salty said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:44 am

Even with the 2.86 Era, the WHIP was in scary territory at 1.47 because of 22 walks, 29 hits in 34 inn. Guess you could say he was plucky. He has also been getting good run support.

Was getting lit up in April, but just 6 walks. I guess that was Tim trying to pitch to contact. Looks like he went back to trying to fool hitters in May, which results in 100 pitch in 5-6 innings type games.
    So now what? Last night nothing worked.
    He’s fortunate he pitches at ATT.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:51 am

If only he would listen to Hudson.

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:28 am

If only it was that simple. I think Tim making the changes to allow him to gain control and REALLY spot his pitches (which is what he must do to be successful going forward) is going to be a challenge.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:32 am

I know Chi. If only it were that simple. Should have used the sarcasm font.

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:07 am

Yeah, the sarcasim font is quite helpful. Without it, it can be hard to discern.

6. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:01 am

I’m not going to “Freak” out about it but salty brings up a good point. I mean, where did that fastball go? Did his motion change or did it cause him to lose a few feet off of it? Without the fastball his changeup isn’t as effective so he’s really lost his two main pitches. We are talking about a guy who won two Cy’s and now needs to learn how to pitch? That’s kinda strange, isn’t it? Has he become just average or is he more like D-Train and Mark Fidrych, a couple of dominating years to bust? You know, if we were in the Playoffs right now, he might not even be on the roster.

7. salty said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:11 am

As I recall, Zito fiddled with his delivery a lot ( remember the squat?) but ultimately was the same guy–capable of some gems but over 30 starts, well, not so good.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:20 am

I don’t know what this is all about but the Big Unit in Japanese subtitles with a throat slash is pretty awesome.

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:31 am

That’s fucking hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

Iron Unit…

9. willedav said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:35 am

This is the Reds without Votto remember. Outside of mesoraco and Frazier, not one guy in LU has OPS over .700 even after yesterday. They are next to last in the league in runs scored. Hamilton, Bruce (batting .206) Phillips all hit doubles and Mes homers out of their 6 hits. TL used to eat these type guys for lunch.

Flav I’d agree with you whole heartedly, Lincecum pitching out of the pen as effectively as he did in 2012 would be a great thing to see. What I’m asking is, does he deserve a start vs. playoff caliber teams (unlike the Reds) this year based on what he’s done so far?

I feel for Bochy and Rags because Bochy I think really has a soft spot for him and desperately wants him to succeed and avoid all the scrutiny from outings like yesterday. But the *struggles* aren’t anything new, so I don’t know where they go…back to no windup?

10. Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:45 am

If you go back and look at Timmy’s splits over the past couple of years, it really is not until 2012 that he really starts to slide.

2010 – 3.43/1.272, BB/9 – 3.2, HR/9 – 0.8

2011 – 2.74/1.207, BB/9 – 3.6, HR/9 – 0.6

2012 – 5.18/1.1.468, BB/9 – 4.4, HR/9 – 1.1

2013 – 4.37/1.315, BB/9 – 3.5, HR/9 – 1.0

2014 – 5.01/1.577, BB/9 – 4.3, HR/9 – 1.1

And you can go look at the monthly splits, too (I did) just too much to list here. But bottom line, since 2012, bascially he has sucked. Sure. He had a gem “here and there,” but overall, he is really a 4 or 5 slot rotation guy who is getting paid handsomely at 17 mil per. But you know that he is valued for his marketability almost as much as he is for his two CYs, etc.

I think the ideal place for him would be as a short set-up guy (7th and 8th inning). But it won’t happen this year, except for maybe in the playoffs.

Escobar has been pretty damned good of late, and he may be able to take over that spot in the rotation when rosters expand, and certainly that may be the case next year.

Any way you slice it, it is sad. I was going through some boxes of things (purging, reorganizing, etc. from our move in December), and found my bright orange shirt with the outline of Timmy making his delivery blazoned with the large “FUCK YEAH” letters. I miss that dominance. Hard to believe just a few short years ago we all would have almost guaranteed a win any time Big Time Timmy Jim took the bump.

11. Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:56 am

Anyway, G-men need to get back on track and get a win today. As WillieD pointed out, these guys are far from world-beaters.

Cingrani (starter for the Reds today) hasn’t had a win in his last four starts, and his ERA/WHIP is 4.01/1.46. Giants should tattoo this guy. Vogey has been very good of late with a 3.45 ERA and 1.28 WHIP (2-0 with a ND in his last three starts) Absolutely no reason Giants don’t win this game, unless they play like the fucking Keystone Kops (as they did yesterday). That (solid fundamentals and D) is the area in which I feel they really need to tighten shit up.

For the finale tomorrow, we have Big Country vs. Leake. Leake’s numbers over the entire year really have not been too bad (he is a victim of that shitty run support – lack of it – that WillieD pointed out). But against the NL Pitcher of the Month, Giants should take that game, too.

Just take one and the Giants go home with a 4-3 roadie. I’ll take that any day in the early daze of summer in St. Lou and Cincy. Win the series, and go home 5-2. THAT’S what I am talking about.

• Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 11:10 am

“Win the series, and go home 5-2. THAT’S what I am talking about.”

Good on you Chi, that’s what I was talking about at the start of the trip.

12. gianthead said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:33 am

Catching up on yesterday’s comments…very enjoyable reads. Thankfully I missed the Giants game as my little league team went down to defeat (of course we lost to the Giants for some sound karma) in the opening game of the playoffs 9-3….

Recommendation to Zumiee because I also have gotten into the wonderful alt-country sounds…saw Jason Isbell a couple of months ago here in DC. Bar none, one of the greatest shows I have ever seen and his last record Southeastern I believe is an instant classic…also saw Radiohead in a shit-hole dive in DC for the Bends tour summer of ’86..they were phenomenal and intense show….

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:09 am

Wasn’t Isbell a member of the Drive By Truckers?

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

Yeah, he and Patterson Hood turned the Truckers into a huge force to be reckoned with. I saw them in concert at the Fillmore, blowing the roof off the place for about 3 hours. Incredible.
        I wasn’t surprised that Isbell left to pursue a solo career; a talented songwriter like that is eventually going to want to keep spreading his wings.
        Patterson has the Truckers still truckin’ along very well.
        So…..I’m on it, GH! Thanks for the recommendation, anyway. :)
        And I would have loved to have seen Radiohead in concert during the Bends/OK Computer era, when they were a guitar-driven band. Radiohead eventually became very electronic-keyboard-oriented, and kind of lost me along the way.

• gianthead said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:49 am

You are right Zumiee. OK Computer was their zenith and they decided to throw it all away and go completely off the wall. Enjoy Isbell. You Tubing his live performances will give you a sense of his greatness. Bunch of people here in DC love the Truckers but I have not gotten into it…

13. wswins said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:51 am

The troubles for Lincy become worse out of the stretch…How simpler the delivery do you want it…I don’t think that’s the answer.

• Chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:13 am

If it is not a change in motion WSW, then it must be something mechanical in his current delivery. Bottom line, the stats show the definitive fall-off on all the major stats (and velocity). Something has to give. Not sure the answer, but moving forward as is, is not a long-term option. I say not a long-term option, as I do not see any changes in Tim being in the rotation this year. If there were, it would be no sooner than when rosters expand, or a spot in the bullpen if they make the playoffs. While I used to look forward to a Lincecum start (and almost always felt it was a guaranteed W, now I cringe thinking about him taking his turn). That suck almost as much as the lost velocity of his FB…

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:26 am

The thing about the stretch is that several years ago he DID pitch several games only out of the stretch when he was messed up then. And, it seemed to straighten him out. When he’s in the stretch now, it means there’s men on base. And, they run wild on him. That pressurizes the defense, and as we’ve seen this season and last, the defense plays poorly when Tim pitches. Maybe it’s the Zito defense syndrome, the D feels like it is pressurized to make plays when Timmy pitches, so they DON’T make the plays. So, maybe if he pitched in the stretch ALL the time for a while, he’d relax and make pitches when he’s in the stretch with men on base. I think a lot of this is mental. When the wheels start coming off, Timmy just can’t grit through it anymore, he’s flummoxed and bad shit happens as a result of his concentration flying out of the stadium, along with HRs off him…

14. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:58 am

I don’t see Timmy getting a playoff start should we get there. Unless there’s some kind of sea change regarding his results. Bochy isn’t afraid to bench/leave guys off a la Panda and Zito so Timmy would be odd man out. Of the rotation. long relief? Sure. Even then, I’d have him on a short leash. Vogie is above him by far at this point.

Besidses, if changing his motion is the answer, he should have started that process a year ago when he started losing his fastball. Not this far into his sucking.

15. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

Lincecum’s situation is a puzzlement. What to do? I dunno. Rags has had two years to fix this, hasn’t so far. So, will a light bulb suddenly go off after 2 1/2 years? Maybe. Maybe not. Anyway, I heard a stat on KNBR this morning that is mind blowing. This season so far Timmy’s first inning ERA is 9. That’s NINE. All other innings it’s something like 3.5. So, change something in his warmup, whatever. Krukow said he gets too amped up for the start of the game for some reason. Well, not sure I’m buying that, after he’s pitched in huge pressure situations many times, but if so, then warm up so you’re NOT amped up. Just by observation, I think we probably can all agree if Timmy escapes the first inning or two with no to minor damage, he settles in pretty much and keeps the team in games through 6 or so. The first inning is a killer for him. They’ve got to figure that out. Plus, I won’t rant more on his keeping runners close. He just doesn’t do it. I don’t know why Bochy won’t call for throws to first or second from the bench to get Tim’s attention on this. Rags and Bochy I assume must, must have gone over this runners on base shit with him many times, so it’s mostly on Lincecum, IMO. This is the big leagues…

16. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:30 am

Also, somebody mentioned on radio this morning that teams are hitting .300+ something against Timmy when he’s got an 0-2 count. I knew it was not good, but that is WTF territory. He can’t finish the job when he gets ahead, and often makes a bonehead hit me pitch in the zone that the batter crushes. I assume they’re aware of this and working to figure out the right pitch calls and location to stop that. Evenso, he has to execute when he’s ahead, and not go from there to 3-2 counts, which jacks up his pitch count early. You can’t pitch a good start if you get guys in a hole, and then they hit .300+ on you. That’s just crazy…

• gianthead said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:52 am

Snarkk those numbers resemble my little league team. I kept trying to teach them and especially my catchers when they get ahead of the count, start to throw the f outside….so I had a code for my catchers to set up outside. 80% of the time when I passed on the code, they would look at me dumbfounded. And of course we gave up way too many hits at 0-2 and 1-2 …

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 am

I thought this quote from Lincecum on the the merc blog was interesting.

“I think a lot of people think that there’s a big space in between being good and not being good,” he said. “And in this game it’s a small fraction of space to make up. I’ve just got to look at that.”

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 11:52 am

Dirt, I heard him say that on the CSN video and it made me rethink my position a bit about him doing a total revamp of his pitching motion. Don’t get me wrong – I still think significant work is necessary and it will probably involve tweaking his pitching motion. I also think this is something which will require more work, then in-between his starts. In other words, I still think he will have to address this in the off season/spring training.

Somewhat regressing here . . . So, his statement is true in 2 parts – one part is optimistic and the other part is pessimistic (my opinion only): 1. Optimistic in that he can make “fine” adjustments where his location and pitch selection are better . . . How he does that, I don’t know. Snarkk brought up some good points with regard to warming up differently (to address being “jacked up” and having his adrenalin running like a bunny rabbit in the 1st inning). He also mentioned being on hyper alert and executing where he has been vulnerable (the 0-2 count); and, 2. Pessimistic – He has lost a few miles on his fast ball. No way, no how, will he get those few MPH back.

In effect, Tim is right – the separation from being good and being bad in MLB is very small indeed. This is true for all Major League players. Think about it . . . These are the best of the best. Approximately 800 players in the world that have achieved the highest level of competitive baseball. However, this doesn’t help Tim saying this or recognizing it. It only helps if he can close that “small fraction of space.” To date, he hasn’t been able to do that.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 11:59 am

Good breakdown of the statement and for the most part I agree. I’ve always thought that the mental part of the game is what separates the top tier player. With his seeming inability to hold runners and other brain farts like the 2010 playoffs when he ran the ball back to Uribe at 3rd (I can’t remember the exact scenario and there have been others), Lincecum has never really shown that he’s got the whole mental side of the game down. He came out like a super nova and survived on raw, undeniable talent. Now he’s floundering and gripping for a solution, any solution.

18. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm

THe mental shit last year was plainly obvious. It hasn’t been spo bad this year, but yesterday he had his “Jesus fucking Christ” moment in the 5th inning.

I finally saw the replay of the throw by TImmy into CF that scored Hamilton (?) from 2nd, and that was just AWFUL. You are taught in Little League, Minors, Pony League, whatever, to run toward the baserunner, make him pick a base and throw to it. Or just fucking TAG him. Don’t throw to the trailing bag. Basic shit like that gets him into worlds of trouble. It is so Sanchez-like as to be alarming. 5-alarm bell alarming.

19. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Some of the draft pundits think the Giants will have available at the 14th pick a couple of pitchers: Holmes or Hoffman, an outfielder Zimmer, and they might possibly also have their eye on firstbaseman Casey Gillaspie, Conor’s brother. I’d say take a pass on Gillaspie; he’s a corner infielder who hits for average, but little power, just like his brother. I’m glad Conor’s found a home with the White Sox, but he didn’t show much with the Giants, and I haven’t been impressed with Conor in the Sox’s first two games with the Dodgers. He cost the Sox the first game with his boneheaded decision and throwing error, and he’s 0-for the series so far. His batting average is .335 or something, so he’s getting some hits somewhere; hopefully he’ll get a few against the Dodgers tonight.
    I said some negative things about Beckham yesterday, but he had a stellar game against the Dodgers last night. Two hits, and a game-saving diving catch.
    Kudos to the Sox for that win last night. They endured a tough loss the night before, and they came right back and played a terrific game, getting the victory, sending the Dodgers back to two games over .500.

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm

It turns out Zimmer went to Univ. of San Fran., but I’d never heard of him, not that I follow college baseball all that much, or even at all. :)
      From a draft website:

Name: Bradley Zimmer
      Born: November 27, 1992 (21), La Jolla, California
      Height/Weight: 6’5″/205 lbs
      Position: Outfield
      Bats/Throws: Left/Right
      School: University of San Francisco (California)

20. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm

USA Today mock draft has the Giants taking Hoffman, a guy who was going to go higher in the draft but had Tommy John surgery (!) I guess it would be a gamble with a possible great upside to it, if the Giants want to take a chance with the pick.

“14. San Francisco Giants
    RHP Jeff Hoffman
    East Carolina
    Hoffman, who could go anywhere in the draft, was rumored to go in the first few picks before having Tommy John elbow surgery. The 6-4 righty was a top performer in the Cape Cod League last year. He will go high, and it should pay off for whoever selects him, but which team is willing to take the gamble?”

21. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

The Sporting News mock draft has the Giants taking Haitian-American Touki Toussaint, a pitcher.
    “The right-hander was more carnival act than pitcher before this spring, throwing in the mid-90s but never knowing where the ball was headed; this year, however, he’s cleaned up his arm stroke and is throwing strikes with a better curveball and even showing a feel for a change.”

22. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Bleacher Report has somebody else entirely for the Giants:
    “14. San Francisco Giants: RHP Tyler Beede, Vanderbilt
    Beede was drafted out of high school in 2011, but he instead chose to attend college. Vanderbilt is sure glad he did. Beede led the team with 106 strikeouts this season.
    His fastball touches 97 mph, and he has great size at 6’5″ and 215 pounds.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I’m excited about the draft. I think. When is it? :)

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Starts tomorrow at 3:00 PT. MLB network is covering the first round live for sure, I don’t know about after that. The baseball draft takes several days.

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:37 pm

The pundits are saying the draft is fairly strong on pitching, and fairly weak on hitters. One pundit called it the weakest draft of hitters in a couple of decades.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Well, that is good for the Giants with it being their strong suit.

I was just kidding you about the draft and when it is. MLB does a terrible job with promotion of it.

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:53 pm

They also, with the NCAA, do a terrible job of promoting the college world series. It’s going on now, who cares? The round-robin style of the college world series greatly lowers the interest level. If I’m watching a random college world series game, I have no idea what the game means. NCAA basketball March Madness is so awesome because it’s single elimination. Every game is huge. College baseball could do that sort of thing if it wanted to, and it could create a lot more interest in their tournament.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Pagan CF
    Pence RF
    Posey C
    Sandoval 3B
    Morse 1B
    Hicks 2B
    Perez LF
    Crawford SS
    Vogelsong RHP

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Another opportunity for Perez to show he belongs. He needs to shorten his swing, and think small-game. If he’s up there swinging for the fences again, it’s not going to work for him.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Add Belt back into the LU and it’s going to be even deeper.

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I wasn’t aware Perez got called up? Dirt, when did this happen?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Not sure but the LU is same at the Merc and Splash

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:55 pm

When Cain went DL, I think. Then when Cain comes back, Huff could go down instead of Perez, if Perez shows something. The Giants are carrying 13 pitchers at the moment, I think.

24. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Ahh. Thanks guys :-)

25. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Anyone else catch the Warsaw, Poland photos of our president working out? I didn’t know he was so strong. :-)

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Look at those guns. The President obviously cant wear a jacket without a concealed weapon license. :/

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I can’t read Polish, so who filmed that — the Polish CIA? If that’s really Obama in Poland, I would think somebody’s in trouble…

26. salty said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Consensus of the draft is there is no bleeping consensus. ;). NFL is hard enough to predict, baseball nearly impossible.

Baseball America thinks it knows. They have the Giants taking Derek Hill, HS OF from Sacramento. His dad is a scout for the Bums. Kid looks like a young Bobby Bonds. Or another Darren Lewis.

• salty said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Can see at McCovey Chronicles.

27. paulinasia said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Chi, from yesterday’s string (and any other Flappers in the Bay Area), I’ll be in Sonoma from about July 31st to August 20th. Craig and I already talked briefly about a mini-Flapalooza, not to a game but just to a local watering hole to watch it on the tube. I would be very up for that. Or to a game also.

28. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Maybe the Giants will surprise with drafting a stud position player in Round 1. Slim chance of that, even if this draft had a good number of position studs — which it apparently doesn’t per the above discussions. I’m not picky; just another Giancarlo “Mike” Stanton, please…

29. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Very nice pitch by Voggy.

30. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Long half inning by Vogs there. But good outcome.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:38 pm

The reason I did not chime in on any of yesterday’s comments was because I was watching the first-place Syracuse Chiefs (with Emmanuel Burriss) defeat the first-place Indianapolis Indians. Bucs prospect Gregory Polanco contributed a defensive gem, crashing into the wall in right field. Lucky if 2,000 fans were there. A summer shower lasted through most of one inning. They kept playing. Sunlight and rain, then the rainbow over right. Gorgeous. I went on a whim. Ended up meeting baseball author Hart Seely and former mayoral candidate Pat Hogan, of Tipp Hill. Macdog and others provided updates of the Giants’ loss. Hart, Hogan, former Post-Standard photog Jim Commentucci, “Doc,” and I settled ourselves directly in back of the visitors’ bullpen. We did not taunt them. Some drank Red Bull. Some spat. The five of us traded baseball stories, with direct or one-step-removed stories of Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Steve Carlton, Don Drysdale, Whitey Herzog, Willie Mays, Tommy Fecking Lasorda, Vin Scully, Cookie Lavagetto, Willie Horton, and others. It was brilliant. One of the best times I’ve ever had at a ballgame. Laid-back, witty, conversational — and the home-team wins, almost as an afterthought. Hell. I might go back tonight. It’s not too late.

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Envy you getting a chance to see Polanco. In my opinion, he is better then Springer.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:44 pm

He flubbed one early in the game but was like a gazelle for the rest. Author Stewart O’Nan, a Pirates and Red Sox fan who contributed to “Baseball’s Starry Night,” emailed me after the game saying that the Bucs are going to put Polanco in RF and have him bat leadoff (maybe as soon as this weekend), neither of which he has done much of. Such is the Pirates’ way of doing things.

32. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:40 pm

p.s. Speaking of former Giants bearing rings, like Manny Burriss, I see the Cubs brought up el Presidente. The turnaround begins.

33. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

An error already? Christ. And WTF is going on woith wordpress? I have to re-enter my email every damn post. When I use the W icon, I can’t post my shit.

On mine as well. Pain in the fucking ass . . .

• Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Is that Notify me of new posts via email box checked? Otherwise, I haven’t a clue.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:30 pm

maybe it’s the browser you use? you are one of the only guys who ever seems to have any problems posting. Is it also a problem at your blog?

34. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Not a bad inning.

35. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Man, the guys are playing like they ate way too much of Skyline’s chili and cheddar cheese over spaghetti.

36. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Sheesh, how embarrassing. Just hold onto the fucking ball whenever he hits anything in play.

37. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Much better. :-)

38. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Has this Hamilton guy been wreaking havoc on the other teams playing the Reds? Or is it just the Giants?…

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:13 pm

He started off slow snarkk, but has picked up the pace. I think he has 22 or 23 SBs and his batting average is around .260.

• Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm

When he gets on, he is a wreaking ball.

39. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I thought the Reds couldn’t hit or score…

40. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Get em back, Giants.

41. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Ok. Let’s overcome this riverfront Ohio hoodoo hoax of a hex. #beatCincy

42. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Someone get in touch with Nicole, I think our man is in need of mas enchiladas.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Every ballpark has some gamer babes, even in the minors.

43. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Sheesh Perez . . . SWING! Do something while yer up there.

44. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:46 pm

This guy leads the league in percentage of fastballs thrown. Perez should know that. Clueless at bat.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Perez is Darren Ford-Eugenio Velez-Ehire Adrianza. But not quite wither one.

45. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Takes the damned pitcher to get some offense going? WTH, with the lack of it, you take it any way you can get it. Time to score some runs…

46. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Where did it go George? Where did it go George? Hilarious.

47. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Don Zimmer, dead. Pedro Martinez a pallbearer?

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Seriously Pawlie? I loved Zimmer (Dude stood up to Steinbrenner and was just a really good dude).

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Yes, TB Rays peeps confirming it on Twitter.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Our offense is dead, too.

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm

RIP Don.

48. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm

DJLoo must be creaming over his Rangers, up 2-0. Macdog too, maybe.

49. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Time to get into their bullpen.

• Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Called that one.

50. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:08 pm

RIP Zim.

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Ditto. He was 3rd base coach, I think, for the division winning ’87 Giants under Roger Craig. Props to him…

51. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm

The Beast!

52. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Much better! Redemption is sweet Perez.

53. gianthead said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Nice shot….

54. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm

whatthefuck, Perez made a fool of me, and I am glad!

55. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Hamilton looks like he could be the guy Darren Ford was supposed to be, but because of lack of talent never even had a snowball’s chance to be…

56. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Hey, we finally got that offense. Thank you Darren Ford-Eugenio Velez-Ehire Adrianza! Sorry Pawlie…couldn’t resist…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:45 pm

leading with my chin . . . should be title of autobiography

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm

You write it. I’ll buy it. Guaranteed! And on top of that, I will shamelessly push it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:54 pm

hahaha thanks. Actually, for 2 years or so been working on My Life as a Fan but have slowed to a crawl. Waiting for WS3, I guess.

57. Flavor said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Voggy battled his ass off tonight. 5 innings felt like 9. Nine k’s through 5, not bad at all…..

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Agree…not bad, especially for your number 5 guy…

58. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:23 pm

The Giants penchant for making errors lately is a might troubling. That has to stop…

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Exactly snarkk – if you look at the past few threads, on a number of occasions I mentioned that the area in which they need to improve most is in tightening up the D…need to play clean, fundamental ball.

59. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Lets get some more.

60. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Nice outing by Voggy.

61. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm

At least this close game is not happening at 1 am. Not yet.

62. Macdog said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:55 pm

If the Giants can hang on, Gutierrez might be my Player of the Game for finally getting that pain-in-the-ass Hamilton out.

63. Flavor said, on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Don Zimmer stole 45 bases in his mlb career. That’s a little hard to fathom……

64. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I’ve got a bullpen and I’m going to use it.

65. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:09 pm

It’s a good thing I do not possess firearms; otherwise, I would’ve skipped calling the police and shot up the car with the loud, sexist, racist, stoopid, offensive “music.” I’ve become Walt Kowalski.

66. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Machi’s ERA is 0.33. Let me repeat that: zero point three three.

67. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Good idea on the bunt, took a good play to get the out.

68. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Let’s go, Romo!

69. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Isn’t a “Golden Sombrero” 4 strike outs? If so, what is 5 SOs?

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Platinum with rhinestones…

70. Macdog said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Reds announcer: “A whimper in the 9th inning.” Lol,

71. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Nice win on a sad night.

72. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Reversed that riverfront hex. (Well, we certainly did in 2012 when it counted most.) Wonderful W.

73. Flavor said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm

new thread up, some quickie Zimmer thoughts

74. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Yep, a very nice win.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 487 other followers