San Francisco: Where Outfielders Go to Die

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 7, 2014

Here’s a look at our first 10 picks in the 2014 draft:

draftpicks

Only 5 pitchers drafted in the first 10 picks. This disappoints me. All 10 should be pitchers, at least in the first 10 rounds. Use the final 40 rounds (or whatever it is) to supply your minor league system with depth. It’s a little early, but I’m going to call out Dylan Davis as a total waste of a pick. Same with Seth Harrison and Austin Slater. If you’re an outfielder, and you get drafted by the Giants, you should be so bummed. All your hopes and dreams, dashed.

The Giants are either the unluckiest team in the world when it comes to drafting outfielders or they have no idea how to develop them. Or they have no idea how to identify outfield talent. It has to be one of the 3, maybe a combo of the three. The odds are nearly 100% that if you get drafted by SF as an outfielder, your career is over before it starts. I’m waiting for one of our drafted outfielders to immediately switch positions upon finding out he was drafted by the Giants. Go “Jason Lane” on them. Most of these guys pitched in Little League, why not find out if ya still got it?

Because if Sabean drafts you, and you are an outfielder, you don’t got it. You so don’t got it.

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:33 am

The Draft….. who has time to wait for these guys?

2. wswins said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

Bochy must have his mind on Belmont day after this quote from last nite….

Brandon Hicks and Brandon Crawford combined to generate the Giants’ first pair of runs, both off Mets starter Jon Niese.

“We had quite a quinella with those two,” Bochy said.

And the Giants must also…why else would they draft Dylan Davis…Isn’t he a jockey riding at Churchill Downs?!!

3. DJLoo said, on June 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

You don’t get enough credit for your sense of humor, BF…

4. Macdog said, on June 7, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Giants drafted a RHP from Wake Forest, Connor Kaden, in the 27th round, he went to a nearby HS in NJ, same one as Todd Frazier. My HS baseball expert colleague remembers him as a hard thrower who has some control issues.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Fraz hit another dong today. I like that dude a lot, he’s coming around finally

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Most hard throwers have control issues early on…

5. James said, on June 7, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Annual trip to the ballpark with my Mets fan bro. Last year’s event was the Brandon Belt 5K, 16 inning special that even Wilco would have been tormented by. I still remember the early drive off of Harvey that Belt hit to the 404 sign . . . . little did we know how much agony everyone was in for because that ball didn’t travel a few more feet.

Looks good with Hudson tonight.

• WilcoJoe said, on June 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm

;)

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Should be a good game James –pitchers’ duel, which you should like, Hudson v. Colon.
      Watch it end up a slugfest… ;)

6. snarkk said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Tend to agree with you BF. There must be a reason or reasons that the Giants can’t develop OFers under Sabean. The track record is too long for this to be random failure. It’s consistent failure for near 2 decades. When you look with nostalgia at home grown OFers like Marvin Benard and Schierholtz, that’s weak. Freddles? Teams like the Cards, Rays or Marlins seem to bring up some young stud OFer every season or every other season like clockwork. One can argue that 2 WS wins out of 4 years means it doesn’t matter, and you’d have a point. But, it sure is nice when you have a home grown stud hitting and running OFer that you can control for 6 years or whatever it is before he’s a FA…

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm

i think they just don’t know how to identify them. And remember, they treated the draft like a disease for 10 years and then they just started going heavy on pitchers, so that could have something to do with it.
      But Christ, you’d think at least one of them would risk going on some max steroid cycle just to rise above the bullshit, get called up and make it big time in SF

• wswins said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:55 pm

7. Flavor said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:12 pm

both Puke and Gordon hurt today in Colorado.

8. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Unfrickingbelievable. Sherpas seemingly cruising to their 1st victory in 8-9 games (I lost track) and the Dodgers explode for 4 runs in the 7th to take the lead, 4-3.

9. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:20 pm

By the by ya muggs, Chi is having a birthday tomorrow. I think he is 39 (again). :-)

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:13 pm

You’re close. I’ll be 40. And you might ask how it is that I have a son who will be 31 in December…LOL…

I have never been one to trip on BDs or age…none have affected me. We’ll see if 60 (a few years away) has that effect, but I suspect not.

10. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I was at SF Intl picking up my son and his new bride last night. Did catch most of the game at an airport watering hole, and caught the finish (Buster’s HR) on the radio.

Went and checked the finish of yesterday’s thread. Amazing how many jumped on the Buster Bandwagon. Hell, there were probably a half dozen of you who wanted to trade his ass a week or so ago.

I told you then (and numerous times before) that Buster is a streaky hitter. Get used to it…there is no way in hell he will ever be traded (unless he green lights it…as he has a full no trade clause).

GO GIANTS!

11. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm

A friend of mine (big Packers and nominal Brewers fan) is volunteering tomorrow at the Tulo bobblehead giveaway game. He gets a free ticket to the game tomorrow and will get a bobblehead (maybe more) as well. Although terribly conflicted – hate the Dodgers, despise the Rockies – I stayed away from the game, but did ask him to score me a Tulo bobblehead. I collect them and moreover, I might give it to my cousin or another friend in the SF bay area, whom are all friends of the Tulo family. :-)

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:11 pm

My understanding is Tulo grew up an A’s fan, and I have heard him be quite harsh in talking about the Giants. I really cannot stand the dude to be honest. Fuck Tulo and the jackass he rode in on.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I probably dislike him more then you do, but like I said, I collect bobbleheads and I could give a rat’s ass from where they come from (team).

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I’ve heard before that Tulo dislikes the Giants, but what’s the reason for it?…

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Being serious here snarkk – he is very, very competitive. He would run over his grand mother if it meant winning a game of scrabble. Many Colorado fans (not all) are laid back and they detest his competitive nature. They view it as boorish. Me? If he was on the Giants, I would be rooting the loudest for him, as I like guys who go all out on every play (like our Hunter Pence).

By the by, maybe the Sherpas will do me a favor today and win. They came back and tied the Dodgers.

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm

So, he only dislikes the Gyros because they are the “other”? Does he dislike the other teams in the West the same? Growing up on the peninsula, you’d think he would have had a boyhood like of the Giants….

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

snarkk – I have seen him interviewed and answer the question about the Giants. It is because he grew up an A’s fan (posted that earlier), and he detests the Giants. Yeah Steve, IF he was a Giant, I would be rooting for him like hell.

12. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm

1 A. Pagan (S) $3.2K (OF)
    2 H. Pence (R) $3.6K (OF)
    3 B. Posey (R) $3.6K (C)
    4 P. Sandoval (S) $3.7K (3B)
    5 M. Morse (R) $3.7K (1B)
    6 T. Colvin (L) $2.3K (OF)
    7 B. Crawford (L) $3K (SS)
    8 B. Hicks (R) $2.7K (2B)
    9 T. Hudson (R) $7.6K (P)

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:10 pm

What are the money figures, Blade?

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I took the line up from RotoGrinders – people that play Fan Duel and other daily tournaments want to know what the “salary” (mythical) is, so they can put their team together . . . In short, a 9 player team can NOT go over the salary cap. Go back a few threads and Flavor posted a similar line up from Rotogrinders in his opening monologue.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Also, each player’s “salary” changes day to day, i.e., based upon current performance, BVP against the pitcher, road/home splits, etc. That being said, I am not certain of all the factors, but dollars to donuts they have a mathematical formula comparable to what the Las Vegas odds makers use for their sporting events.

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 8:34 pm

That’s cool…no need to go back and check it out…I really am not plugged-in with the whole fantasy thing. I know you guys are..it’s all good. Was just curious what the $$ numbers meant, as they really seemed to have no correlation to reality…

13. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Sherpas win with a walk off hit by Barnes. :-)

14. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2014 at 5:34 pm

“They use to have nothing but great outfielders for decades, they never won a thing…the feeling is you can always get one or two from anywhere via trade or FA..”

Excellent comment wswins and more important, accurate in my opinion (especially the part about “. . . you can always get one or two from anywhere via trade or FA.” ).

15. paulinasia said, on June 7, 2014 at 7:48 pm

A little surprised no comments here about the Belmont running (and Chrome’s owners remarks afterwards).

16. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I didn’t hang out to watch the post-race commentary, but heard one of Chrome’s owners made an ass of himself. Whatever…does not take away from the story of the horse. Too bad CC didn’t get it done.

17. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Isn’t Colon like 105 years old? And even Super Man (Hudson) has his off days. Unreal the way his pitch count is up, etc. Dude has been money for a long time

18. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Bases juiced…no out. Got to capitalize here. Oh wait…this is the 2014 Giants…we’ll have to wait until there are two outs…

19. Manny said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Need us a big inning here and now before this game slips away.

• paulinasia said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Well, got a semi-big inning…. :-)

20. WilcoJoe said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Maybe Flav or Loo can chime in, but I agree with CC’s owner comments. I have always hated how few Belmont horses ran in the previous triple crown races especially in recent years. That being said, I really thought the Wilford Brimley lookalike was about to slap his wife on national TV.

• wswins said, on June 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm

The stakes races stand on their own merit,,,the owner is way out of line…sore loser he is, Loo was right the guy is a jerk

21. willedav said, on June 7, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Just caught Flems during Kontos inning saying colon is 5th oldest active in all of baseball. LaTroy Hawkins, bobby Abreu, raul Ibanez, and Jason giambi (at 43) is oldest.

22. wswins said, on June 7, 2014 at 10:40 pm

how ’bout that! congrats…great win

23. Macdog said, on June 7, 2014 at 10:49 pm

What a crazy win.

24. chipower9 said, on June 8, 2014 at 12:30 am

Boys! I got way-laid and just got back to see the 8th and 9th innings. Wow…what a WIN! Me, superstitious? Thinking that putting on my new Giants hoodie (BD gift from Gail) in the bottom of the 9th would have any impact on the game? Nah…couldn’t. Right? And I hear the team is printing up “May the Morse Be With You” t-shirts. I want one of those bad boys. I remember years ago (not sure of the year…it was when Willie McGee was with the Giants), the team printed up t-shirts in Spring Training that said “Dusty’s Thugs.” Morse in the post-game said it is a good indicator when teams are doing goofy shit like that. It shows they are loose and having fun (and winning!).

I was telling Gail earlier that there are SO MANY things to like about this team, but the one that I really dig is the tenacity. Quiting. Giving-up. Just not in this team’s vocabulary. And they get contributions from up and down the line-up.

And I think I saw where Steve said that the Sherpas had won earlier over the bums. Great night in SF Giant baseball.

Let’s sweep the Metropolitans all the way back to NY!

25. chipower9 said, on June 8, 2014 at 12:53 am

Watching the post-game wrap…even they were giddy. 20 games over .500. And I have read where there were four walk-off wins in the NL West tonight. Of course, The Gigantes is the big one, but the Sherpas coming back on the bumbinos is awfully sweet, too. And I read where Puig hurt his leg (although it does not appear to be anything serious).

Good night ladies.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers