Remembering Matt Cain’s Perfecto…

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on June 13, 2014

Two years ago today The Horse, Matt Cain, pitched the first perfect game in the entire 130 year history of the Giants baseball franchise, and only the 23rd (22nd at that time) perfect game in major league history.

I remember vividly sitting at my place in Diamond Springs with my son Zach as we watched the entire game. What a magic night in not only SF Giant baseball history, but in baseball history overall.

Here is a short video that encapsulates all 27 outs. Check out the catches by Cabrera in the 4th and 6th…not bad, but then check out Blanco’s dive for the first out in the 7th. It is nothing short of spectacular. And then Arias’ play at 3rd for the final out doesn’t come without just a little bit of torture.

About these ads

1. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Sorry all, after getting home and seeing how the game ended, and then reading some of the comments, I just had to throw up (pun intended) a new thread, and thought the anniversary of The Horse’s perfect game was appropriate.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Tonight’s game was terrific until the 9th. It was looking like groovy Giants baseball for the win.

2. snarkk said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Chi, nice memory to take away the bad taste of tonight’s 9th…

3. zumiee said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:52 pm

What a 2012 for Cainer. Perfect game. Starting and winning pitcher in the All-Star game. Won several big games in the playoffs, and a World Series ring. Have a season, Matt Cain!

4. snarkk said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Hicks tonight striking out with RISP. Troubling…

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:54 pm

He’s like a tire that’s sprung a leak.

5. zumiee said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:57 pm

That’s a cool Cainer perfect game display on the Club level at the ballpark, with all those artifacts from the game. There’s a lot to dig about that Club level.

• chipower9 said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:01 am

Yeah, I have really mixed feelings. There is a part of me that loves being down in the lower boxes along the 3rd base line. I always thought my “dream seats” would be either right behind the Giant’s dugout, or at the end of the dugout near where they come out of the clubhouse. But I do love the Club Level, too. It is so nice to be able to step inside if you want, and the food and booze offerings are some of the best in the yard.

6. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2014 at 11:58 pm

What in the hell is going on with Romo. He has had a few hiccups of late, but this was more like a total meltdown. Damn…

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:02 am

It’s probably heading towards closer-by-committee. Machi deserves a shot at some 9th inning action. He’s been incredible.

• stickman said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:47 am

Managers don’t like to show up their closers, but i’m intrigued with Bochy not using Machi in the latter innings of close games, thus keeping him on hand to back up Romo in case he coughs up a hairball. It would be vaguely similar to a double-indemnity insurance policy. Casilla has to be champing at the bit and has had a fair bit of 9th inning action. Both of these guys could go the 9th or come in to put out a fire.

7. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:00 am

Could be a big development in the game tonight regarding Tulo’s injury. We might not see him for the rest of the series.

• chipower9 said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:02 am

Yeah, I think Krukow may have called that one correctly in suspecting that the injury happened at the end of the swing. There was a little strange/odd extension there, much like the extension Cain had on his leg when he recently tweaked his hammy…

• snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:03 am

I said the other day he was about due for some kind of serious quad or other leg injury. Not sure what it is this time. blade will have it figured out…

8. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:04 am

2b is truly becoming a black hole. Hicks, Adrianza, Arias. WTF? I might even take the days of Stone Hands Durham over this. Sabes has got to be looking at what he can do to fix it…

• chipower9 said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:08 am

I know. During those conversations over the past couple of days, I was completely feeling that 2nd base is the area most needing an upgrade (the conversation started when Utley and the Giants were mentioned in the same breath). Other Flappers felt a SP was more crucial. I still think it is 2nd.

• snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:22 am

HIcks now at 69 Ks for 185 ABs = 37.3% K rate.
      Holy Strike out!…

9. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:06 am

Alright Flappers. I am calling it a night. Gotta be up early to go with my dog to a barn hunt (canine competition where the dog has to scent out a rat). And no, the rat does not get harmed. May have the living hell scared outta him, but not harmed.

Get ‘em tomorrow, Giants. VogelStrong on the bump. I suspect Nicole is up cooking a tray or two of enchiladas.

Make it an awesome Saturday, all.

• DJLoo said, on June 14, 2014 at 7:28 am

Certainly wouldn’t want to see a rat harmed. The ones on the subway are so lovable.

10. willedav said, on June 14, 2014 at 7:33 am

Few times lately all Hicks had to do was make contact and Giants would have scored. Instead he’s whiffing or watching called strike 3 go by. Panik isn’t going to happen til Sept, so I imagine Sabes has his scouts on 2b.

What’s more troubling to me is C. Hector, the more I see of him behind the plate the less I like, and Flav called this a long time ago. He has his share of clutch hits but very low OB and not much pop either. Ugly. I’d bring up a C before I’d promote Panik.

I don’t know what’s wrong with Posey, but his numbers at home are troubling. He’s hitting around Mendoza line with an OPS hovering .600. Everyone else around him in LU–Pagan Pence Sando Morse– hit the ball hard at least once last night, yet Posey could not get ball out of IF vs. Rockies. I mentioned Hector’s OB–well, Posey this month in 47 ABs has not taken one walk, tho his avg before last night was .300 in June. What’s up with that? His OPS 2 years ago was out of sight–now it’s dropped to low .700s, 6th on the team. WTF?
    Giants have back to back day games before getaway, so I’m guessing Hector is at C for one. Hope these guys figure things out and adjust, because the park ain’t changing.

11. paulinasia said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:24 am

Agree, Willie, just a couple troubling things for our “best in baseball” Giants, not negative, but things that will need to be addressed if the team does indeed want to continue its roll. Posey is one of them, especially batting 3rd. I posted last night about how Belt’s return will give Bochy the chance to kind of reshuffle the lineup based on who’s doing what, and wondering just how that will go. And yeah… 2nd base and the absence of Scutaro, the team’s planned and appointed 2nd baseman, wasn’t a problem as long as a) the team was steamrolling and b) Hicks would occasionally get a key hit. But the steamroller has slowed and Hicks is miserable. Don’t even talk about Adrianza and Arias. Bochy and Sabean often speak and act in slow motion re: making changes, but I’m guessing they’re seriously looking at these situations and hopefully they won’t wait if the big lead in the division dwindles to nothing before making some kind of change. Barring that, it’s up to the players to step up, as always, and as they mostly have so far this season. Losing 4 of 5 will tend to sour things a bit in our perspective of things, but all teams go through this kind of spell, as long as it isn’t a long-term trend.

• Nipper said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

It’s still early. You guys are having heart attacks in June?

• paulinasia said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:51 am

Nip, go back to sleep, no heart attacks here…

12. paulinasia said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:32 am

And, sorry, Romo as closer needs also to be looked at. He doesn’t look comfortable out there, and it’s not just the meltdown last night, he hasn’t been performing very well just in recent weeks. Bochy is the man at managing the ‘pen, so I trust him about that, but when you got a guy like Machi who has seemed almost unhittable, plus Casilla returning soon… “the committee” should probably be an option once again. It worked in 2012…..

13. blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:43 am

Unfrickingbelievable! I was in Black Hawk gambling last night and saw the disaster in the 9th. Per X-rays, Tulo doesn’t have a break in his big toe, but he is out for awhile . . . Too bad – because guess what? Tulo is 0 for 10 against Voggy lifetime. His replacement, probably Rutledge, will likely have a career day. Sigh.

14. paulinasia said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:54 am

Ah, gambling in Black Hawk. I remember it well. Steve, hopefully your night there was not as disastrous as the team’s…. :-p

• blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:57 am

Paul, ironically I was at the bar losing my ass at video “double double” poker (after already giving a sizable donation to the black jack tables), when my “ship came into port.” As the 9th inning ended, I hit 4 of a kind with a deuce (which paid more) and . . . umm, I forgot about the Giants loss. :-)

• paulinasia said, on June 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

“That ain’t workin’… that’s the way you do it..”… :-)

15. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

thanks Chi, but I’m posting a new thread. Gotta give some long for my main man Romo

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers