Romo Is The Man

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 14, 2014

Romo gas can’s the game and Flapper Nation mires in disrepair…..

While painful, I’m not really sweating that blown save. Henry Schulman pointed out (on Twitter) that Romo hadn’t blown a save at home in 11 months. For a closer, you take that all day long.

He then posted Romo’s career save percentage: 88.9%. For reference, the great Mariano Rivera will punch his first ballot HOF ticket with an 89.5% all time save percentage. All closers fuck up games in the career. If they fuck up a lot of games over a long career it probably means they were very good at closing (otherwise, they would not have had a long closing career, right?)

I think we are naturally a little biased against Romo and his frisbee slider. We think he’s gimmicky and are conditioned to want to see closers heaving gas with every pitch.

I was skeptical of Romo early in his career and certainly when he took over the closer job after Bee-Idiot got hurt. But he has more than proven himself to me. I trust him in any closer situation and, like him, want to see him out there sooner rather than later to put the ugly memory of last night behind us all as quickly as possible……

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm

If you need further confirmation regarding Romo’s importance, here is Mr. Wilson’s season stats as of today:

22 innings pitched, 28 hits, 15 runs, 17 walks, 27 K – put that in your saber calculator and it works out to a 6.14 ERA and 2.05 WHIP.

Wowza!

2. Cristin said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Agreed. His record speaks for him. Post-game interview was so painful, I wanted to cover my ears/eyes.

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I totally agree Cristin, I almost mentioned that in the main thread. You could tell this was just killing him and while he’s blown off the media in the past I felt like he was being as genuine as he could be in that interview

3. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Bochy announced his support (today) for Hicks as the starting 2nd baseman. But really, what’s he gonna say? He can’t hand over the reigns to Adrianza and if he tells Hicks he’s out that would absolutely ruin any confidence (or value to the team) that he might have left.
    But second base is a huge, huge problem. He can’t strike out at a 37% rate (unless he also happens to bang out 3 or 4 dongs a week).

4. Nipper said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Oh well……

5. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I’m not saying it means anything, and I’m not NOT saying it means anything, but I read on the web that all of Romo’s blown saves were with Sanchez catching. If that’s true, that’s sorta quasi-interesting.

6. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Blanco and Adrianza are both in the lineup today. I don’t get why Colvin doesn’t get the start after his nice game on Friday. And why Adrianza instead of Arias? Is it possible they’re showcasing Adrianza? Yeah, I know, I just had to make you laugh there.

7. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm

And, yeah, I know Buster ain’t all that lately, but he still does things to help the team win. He legged out an infield hit and later scored, last night. In a different AB he advanced Pence to third on a groundout, setting up the next hitter with a one-out RBI opportunity. Pence scored on a wild pitch.

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

And last night should have been a win. :)

• Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Agreed.

8. sammy said, on June 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Posey legging out an infield hit…now that’s HOF stuff

9. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 1:37 pm

getting a little tired of Pagan’s outfield fuck ups.

10. Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Tied it up. Nice hit Buster.

11. blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm

No TV or video feed, but I heard Posey’s shot at over 5000 feet altitude in Colorado. :-)

12. Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Back to hitting dingers again, we’re going to wins this puppy.

13. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Holy Bill James, what were the Rockies thinking with that double-steal attempt??

14. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Bochy catches shit sometimes but can you ever fathom him doing something so dumb as Weiss just did with that double steal?

15. Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Let’s go, Romo.

16. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Romo’s had a couple of blown saves against the Rocks in the past year or so. Bochy putting him back on the saddle here…

• snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Absolutely unbelievable…

17. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Dramatic inning

18. Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Are you shitting me?

19. Manny said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Fucking Pagan another misplayed ball, he is to good a player to be doing this shit.

20. Macdog said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Oh lord.

21. Macdog said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Maybe they should put Morse in CF for late-inning defense.

22. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Hicks being a strike out artist now causes ripples. That prompted Sanchez to PH. Now Lincecum has to PRun for Sanchez. Not sure if you want $17M to be running under pressure…

23. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Maybe Pagan just doesn’t like Romo very much. :)
    Overturn this motherfucker

24. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Fuck my ass. How do you not overturn that?

25. Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Bogus.

• Bozo said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Fuck it, you know what? I take it back. The Giants didn’t play nine innings these two games, the loss is on them, not the replay.

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Yeah, agreed. I’m not sweatin’ the replay other than it was the wrong call. They gotta get that shit tweaked right or chuck the system.
        These 2 games have got to just be killing Romo, I feel so badly for him

26. sammy said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Mid-June swoon is in full bloom.

27. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Replay shows Pagan jagged in a bit to start towards the ball, then a straight type angle, he should have taken an angle more towards the Cove to make sure it gets cut off since there’s two outs. Really bad play there. Looks like he’s running OK, so can’t say the knee was a problem. Still, Rockies definitely have Romo’s number, and that slider hung on the outside corner. If there’s a save tomorrow, I don’t put him in there. Win the damn game…

28. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:36 pm

SF defense has hit a big speed bump the last few weeks. That one there was a huge pot hole…

29. stickman said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Go figure. Though Romo’s WHIP is below 1.0 his ERA currently has run up over 5.0. Bochy has to do some serious evaluation now. Casilla is up soon and Machi has been nails. Now we have questions about Pagan’s routes in CF. Second base situation needs to be addressed. At least Buster and Pence got off the HR schneid today so hopefully the power outage is behind us.

Some multiparty organizational talks are in order. Sabean, a couple of his better evaluators, Bochy and the entire coaching staff. Decision time looms.

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Well the season couldn’t be all puppy dogs and cotton candy now could it? :)

30. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm

He made a nice catch today but Pagan’s routes to the ball right now are hard to explain. It looks like paths I’d take. Albeit with more speed

31. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Yep, we knew that streak of everything going right wasn’t possible all year, neither is this crap streak…

32. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I really feel like this is just an atrocious 2 game set. Shit happens. Romo is a good closer. Pagan is a very good defender. None of this will keep happening. I’m saying this, of course, over and over in the dark. rocking back and forth with candles lit around me.

33. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I could use a little “twin tonic” to help explain all this. And it’s beneath me to cut and paste a comment from another site so he’s going to have to post it here himself. :)

34. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I actually didn’t see that ITPHR until just now. I was driving my daughter’s friend home and had pulled into a parking lot once 2 were out. Blackmon got on and I just didn’t want to hear anything bad, I went into the store. Clerk saw my Giants shirt and asked what was going on in the game. Told him what was up. Walked out to my car and they were in commercial and I thought “thank God, he finished them off.”
    Then my phone *twitters away* saying Barnes had hit an ITPHR (the twitter feed on HR’s can be up to a min or two behind real time). I sat there staring at my phone not believing what I was reading.
    Started driving, Miller came on (or whoever I was in a daze) and I start hearing all the ugly details.
    Got home, sat in my driveway again as I had to sweat out that replay review. Came inside, had 2 beers, watched the replay of the ITPHR and here are my thoughts:
    How the fuck did that shitty hit turn into an ITPHR? All he did was put a bat on the ball. Pagan doesn’t get a pass on this one, that ball wasn’t hit hard. Maybe something is going on in his personal life or something that’s shaking his concentration. That’s cool, we all have that. But get it straightened out and start playing ball again. His routes to balls lately have been a joke.
    And Romo, he’s a little off maybe but I’m just not sweatin’ his two appearances. The balls that got hit weren’t hit hard.

35. blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Just my opinion, but I have zero concerns about anyone in this division overtaking the Giants, especially the walking wounded Sherpa brigade . . . http://espn.go.com/mlb/injuries/_/team/col . . . The last two days are reminiscent of the Alamo, where the Rockies reenact the roles of Crockett, Bowie, Travis, et. al. Great fight initially, but eventually they were overwhelmed by Santa Ana’s forces (that be us).

Similarly, the hapless Dodgers with their 14-19 dismal home record are not exactly setting the world on fire with their one game winning streak against the clueless Snakes. Hopefully, the Giants send the Sherpas back to the Rockies with their tails between their legs, along with the 800 number for Obama Care. Go Giants!

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I WANT the Dodgers to keep winning. At least enough games to keep Two-Trips at the helm. The last thing we need is him to get fired and have them make a run with a new guy in charge. I’m very unconcerned with them though, they just don’t have the right mix of players. Too many guys passed their prime, too many me-first guys. It’s just not their year (or quarter century).

36. Macdog said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm

It’s one thing to get beat, like what happened against the Nats. But it’s another thing entirely to piss two games away against the reeling Rockies with two inexplicable plays by Pagan — the first on a needless throw to 3rd and the second not cutting off the ball with the tying run on base. These are mistakes that just should not happen in the major leagues.

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:33 pm

hear you. That’s why I think it might be something mental. He doesn’t get a pass on that shit play today (and there were 2 of them) but he’s earned respect from us. If something’s going on personally, I just hope he works it out quickly.

37. snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Lost in this Pagan/Romo stuff is that after a streak of good starts, Voggy has had two very shaky starts in a row…

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:45 pm

true, but he was even worse against Colorado earlier in the season and they do have a stacked LU. And Washington just came in here hot as fuck.
      I’m only marginally making excuses for him, but since he’s like a 4/5 guy I feel like you just have to avoid the shit starts with guys like this and be thankful for the good starts. And if we consider him a 4/5 he’s performed fine this year, better than comparable 4/5’s on other teams……

38. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Pagan’s made some great plays this week, too. It was just bad judgment on his part in two ninth innings in a row. There’s a time to go for the great play, and a time to play it conservatively and settle for the tie. He tried to make the great play and failed. And that’s how bad defense happens sometimes. I’ve called it before “fishing where there aren’t any fish,” and Pagan was trying to catch a fish that wasn’t there.

Hey, we’re Giants fans; over the years, how often have things come easy for this team? :)
    We hunker down, we power through, we endure!!

39. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm

It feels like the D-Backs have played the Dodgers about 50 times this season. Maybe the D-Backs come through tonight. The pitching match-up seems about equal.

40. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 5:57 pm

The Giants’ ballpark is built for triples and inside-the-park homeruns. They’re going to happen sometimes, if a fielder makes a miscalculation. Conor Gillaspie hit one there!

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:01 pm

And it kind of bugged me that Gillaspie wouldn’t smile after he it. The camera stayed on him. No smile. He went for the “I’m cool; I do this kind of thing all the time; ain’t no big thing” look. His teammates were going crazy, and he’s acting like he’s Mr. Cool. I thought it was kind of lame behavior by him, myself. He could have at least cracked a brief smile, shared the moment more.

41. Flavor said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Zumiee– I just don’t think that play in the 9th today was Pagan trying to make a great play. he ust completely misplayed it. I think any CF with even average wheels gets to that ball. And it was hit so softly, he just has no excuse for fucking that up

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Looking at it again, it looks to me like he was initially going to play it conservatively, for the first step or so, then he seems to change his mind, like “That ball’s not hit as hard as I thought, I can get that sooner,” and, of course, then results the colossal FUBAR.
      By “great play,” I just meant he was trying to cut it off sooner to save the tying run, but he made the decision too late. He zig-zagged a bit. If he had just gone straight for the ball, then yeah, he makes the play and it wouldn’t be considered “great,” probably.

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm

When Pagan is hitting well, his occasional flubs in the outfield become a lot easier to take. But he’s been struggling at the plate lately. Maybe that’s affected his concentration on defense. He shouldn’t allow that to happen, if that’s what happened.

42. zumiee said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

They showed a stat during the game yesterday that 46% of the challenged calls have been overturned. That’s almost half, and is not a great endorsement of the umpiring. That call at the end today should have been overturned. The umps got a free pass on that one.

• DJLoo said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I didn’t think any of the replays were definitive enough to overturn it no matter which way they called it originally. At least this game helped get rid of the memory of Friday’s disaster. BTW, Krukow was pushing Romo for the All Star Game during the 9th today…

• snarkk said, on June 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm

First base calls are consistently wrong to a larger extent than even I expected, and I expected a lot of wrong calls at 1B. Bang Bang calls, and some not so Bang Bang, where the ball is still a foot or 18″ away from the glove and the batter’s foot is on the bag…

43. blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I can’t really comment on the game, since my usual video feed was down today. However, 3 fools at the Post were talking smack about the Giants and how their “. . . nightmare appears to be over.” Uhh huh . . . Well, I couldn’t let that pass, so I had to comment:

blade3colorado Ctaj • 3 minutes ago
    Are you serious? You win 4 games straight and “. . . the nightmare appears to be over?” Hilarious.

By the by, there are 3 comments here (props to you guys), but approx. 60 at the SF Gate (SF Chronicle). Giants could lose all season long and the fans would still be supporting them/commenting about the games. Typically, there are hundreds of comments for each article. What’s up here?

44. paulinasia said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Just hope the team doesn’t let these two give-aways stay in their heads for long. That’s how team-wide slumps start. Honestly, looking at the replay of the Rox’ game-winner, I wouldn’t say that anyone involved in that play showed much urgency; Pagan’s poor approach (the ball did slice a bit away from him on the bounce), Pence’s picking up the ball and subsequent throw wasn’t exactly at top speed, and Hicks just kind of heaved a rather poor throw as if the play was a lost cause. Kind of weak all around. For the 2nd series in a row, at home, they’ll try to avoid a sweep. I think it was Bozo who said earlier that the team didn’t play all 9 innings these past two games. Gotta finish them off, boys, and that takes full concentration and effort all the way til the end. Get ‘em tomorrow, show a little focus and energy here, and get that steamroller rollin’ again….

45. sportdude said, on June 14, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thanks I guess to Zummie for the video. AUGH….

46. paulinasia said, on June 15, 2014 at 3:08 am

I realize that I’m writing into the Bay Area ether in the middle of the night there, but something is bothering me. Last year, the wheels came off the Giants Express right after Pagan’s ITPHR (he was gone for months as you remember, and the team pretty much tanked for a couple of months after that, coincidence or not). I (and others) have previously said here that it’s very cool watching Crazy Horse round 3rd and sprint home. But the last time he did that was… the last time he did that. He bruised his kneecap, apparently no big thing. But he has definitely not been performing well since then, and many here have said “as Pagan goes, so the team goes”, and we’re witnessing 5 losses out of the last 6 games. If Angel needs to rest for a bit (physically or mentally), he should. They need him for the long haul.

Come the end of September, if none of us even remembers these last 2 games, that will be a good thing, because it will mean they didn’t matter and the G’s made the playoffs. If they finish a game or two out of it and don’t make it, obviously you could point to any of their losses during the long season, but we will likely remember these 2. I’m thinking these 2 games were just fuck-ups and the team will right itself just fine. I’m just not lovin’ those Crazy Horse dashes home as much as I used to…..

47. paulinasia said, on June 15, 2014 at 3:26 am

Oh, and, happy 25th anniversary to “Field of Dreams”. Oddly enough, on a whim, I watched it again just last week, streaming on a Chinese website. I remember exactly which cinema and which girlfriend I saw that with lo all those years ago. It was a trade-off: she said she’d come with me to see it if I went with her to watch “Dirty Dancing”. Um… yeah, it was a trade-off.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers