A Weekend to Forget

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 16, 2014

One thing I never bought into: that our best record in baseball meant that we were the best team in baseball.

Another thing I’m not buying into: that we are so bad that we could get swept by the Rockies at home.

The only thing I really care about is that this doesn’t end up creeping into the minds of the players. They’re saying all the right things. “That’s baseball.” “Turn the page.” All that jazz.

I hope they really mean what they say.

None of it changes the sick feeling that we all probably have. Those were 3 galling loses. A day off with the team heading to Chicago is not what I need right now……

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 6:26 am

I was busy most of the weekend, so the “punch in the face” by the Sherpas was lessened considerably by not paying too much attention to baseball this weekend. Glad to see the Giants having a positive attitude about this series. It was a wake up call, but nothing more. You definitely don’t want their reaction to be, “woe is me.” At least I don’t. The Giants and their fans need to “wash” this series off and move forward.

Loved the Heat being schooled by the Spurs. I also was happy for Kawhi Leonard getting the MVP award. Dude has dedicated his life to getting better ever since his dad was murdered. According to ESPN, “Kawhi and his father, Mark Leonard, were very close. They played basketball together, trained together, hung out all the time. Mark Leonard owned a car wash and would take his son to work all the time. On the night he was murdered, he was at that car wash, trying to get off work in time to watch Kawhi’s game that night.”

2. Raymond said, on June 16, 2014 at 6:44 am

I agree with blade, gotten just wash this series off! I do see Casilla coming back as a good omen for the Gmen. He hasn’t been missed, based on W-L, but it stands out yesterday…I like Guterrez, but Casilla is more experienced, etc…Also, not that they were resting on their laurels, but this will keep them thinking and focused for the trade deadline too.

Thanks for sharing about Kawhi Leonard’s pops, I didn’t know the story. happy Spurs cleaned house in 5…some seems just right again in basketball.

3. willedav said, on June 16, 2014 at 7:22 am

Sherps definitely have some flaws, and each game I watched (no sat) Weiss made some head scratcher moves, but they did some things they have to be pretty happy about, the kind of things SF has done most of season.
    2 out rallies, late, for one. Their All Star, tulo, had a 2 run bomb off Bum yesterday and couple other LD hits despite terrible road BA. Their much maligned pen guys like Brothers Belisle and Hawkins (gulp) shut down Giants, while Giants late guys were ineffective.

Crawford had a rough day in the field–bobbling a ball that became IF hit, overthrowing wildly on play at the plate that bum eventually got an out on, and on the potential DP ball he couldn’t field that one cleanly either to get it started.

Time and again, pressure situations giants pitching and defense let them down. Even Bum, with a lead got knocked around. And as mentioned yesterday they had multiple chances to blow game wide open early and didn’t. Good time for a road trip!

4. Bozo said, on June 16, 2014 at 8:03 am

I don’t remember a team coughing up three wins to hand the other team a sweep, while at home. I’m sure it’s happened, I just don’t remember it.
    The Giants didn’t lose to the Rockies, they lost to themselves, which is fixable (probably not the right word, but I’m going with it). I think a road trip, with two games off this week will help with the mental aspect and also a bit with the minor dings.
    Now then, not scoring when bases are jacked and there are no outs, that should weigh heavy on the hitter’s mind, when you get a chance to pile it on, you gotta get it done.

5. willedav said, on June 16, 2014 at 8:11 am

end of the last thread wsw said Sf still is best team, and they do still have best record in baseball even after a crummy week like last one. Next two teams they face, ChiSox and DBax are both last in their divisions. Sox have lost 4 in a row and 7 of last 10. AZ finally managed to beat LA with some pop from golds. These are hitter friendly yards and SF hitters should enjoy the road. Hope pitching and D hold up their end.

Nats after leaving SF and looking like world beaters dropped all 3 games vs. Cards (whom the Giants pounded not so long ago) to stretch their losing streak to 4. Hey, if the Giants win 90 this year that still means 72 losses, and some are gonna hurt…esp on those off days

6. Chipower9 said, on June 16, 2014 at 8:14 am

Like Blade, I was busy most of the weekend. Most of the games I tried to follow via my phone. I did catch the end of Saturday’s game (top of the 9th anyway, and then had to scoot as my American Legion Post was pouring beer at the county fair).

I watched all of yesterday’s game. How damned disgusting to lose three in that fashion. I am with the Clown…cannot recall that happening before, especially to the Giants. And I am not tripping and wondering about this team, but I was (calming down now) pissed! It is just frustrating to have three games right there for a W, and blow all three.

Anyway, I agree with others…probably a good time for an off day and a little road trip.

7. Chipower9 said, on June 16, 2014 at 8:15 am

I have been calling for a new BBOTD for some time…with this recent POS home stand, I think it is definitely time to turn that page (not that I am superstitious or anything)…

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

Tony Gwynn dead.

Man…Too young. I always liked watching him play. RIP.

• wswins said, on June 16, 2014 at 9:24 am

Horrible news…way to young and out of no where…

• wswins said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:12 am

mouth tumors from the smokeless…not exactly out of no where… I forgot about that..

9. Alleykat said, on June 16, 2014 at 9:20 am

Sucks about Tony Gwynn!
    True gentlemen of the game, Magician with a bat in his hand..RIP Tony, and condolences to your family!

10. stickman said, on June 16, 2014 at 9:44 am

Rest in peace, Tony. Yes, as Kat notes, truly a magical batsman. It’s one thing to lose baseball greats of one’s childhood or youth, but a tad more when a relatively young man goes down. Been said around the horn that it may have been the dip that did him in. First Kirby Puckett and now Tony Gwynn, two of the greats of baseball’s not very distant past. Giants distressing losses over the weekend seem pretty picayune compared with this.

11. Chipower9 said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:02 am

Wow. Such sad news on Tony Gwynn. Truly one of the great ambassadors of the game. The man played the game as it was intended to be played. Peace and comfort to his family and friends.

Here is a good read on Tony from the NY Times:

12. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:29 am

The Giants have signed Cuban outfielder Daniel Carbonell to a Major League contract, the club announced. Carbonell will earn a guaranteed $3.5MM in the four-year deal, MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports, and the 23-year-old outfielder can earn another $3.5MM in bonuses.

13. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

Sad to hear about Tony Gwynn. One guy I looked forward to watch play against the Giants, as he had the totally right attitude toward baseball. He was serious about his hitting, but he ALWAYS had fun playing the game.

14. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

More about Daniel Carbonell:

23 yr old centerfielder (he’s played all 3 positions though, The 6’3″, 196-pound Carbonell is now on the Giants’ 40-man roster and he’ll report to camp in Arizona once he obtains his work visa, the team said.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:42 am

Interesting move. I wonder who that puts in play for a potential arm. Pagan, Morse, Belt, Blanco (I guess) or just Carbonell himself. Or maybe it’s a pick up to see if he’s legit and an eye towards next year.

• Chipower9 said, on June 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

Who knows, but as we have discussed much over the past couple of weeks, if the Giants are going to deal before the deadline, I would prefer to see them get a second baseman over an arm.

• snarkk said, on June 16, 2014 at 11:24 am

I doubt if this Carbonnell guy means much of anything. 23 year old Cuban? His stats are less than stellar, he’s a 5th OFer type from first blush…

15. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 10:50 am

Shocked about Tony Gwynn’s passing. One of my favorite players. For a number of reasons (hitting being the common denominator), I always admired Tony Oliva, Rod Carew and Tony Gwynn – all great hitters. One of the best things I loved about Tony was how he respected baseball’s past, especially how he sought out Ted Williams to chat about hitting . . . they became great friends. Here’s a short clip of them “shooting the shit” about hitting . . .

• Irish Kevin said, on June 16, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hah a loved the comment dumbest people in the ball park are the pitchers. Tony would not bite on that one, he knew he was still going to have to face those dumb pitchers. !! ha ha

• blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Yeah, good point Kev . . . Tony didn’t “bite” on that one.

16. snarkk said, on June 16, 2014 at 11:25 am

Gwynn had cancer of the mouth and salivary glands, per reports. Don’t do the chew, man. He was a good dude, and a great hitter. He will be missed…

17. snarkk said, on June 16, 2014 at 11:27 am

If you want to watch the World Cup games live on computer, you can link to Univision website. They have all the games live, except they are in Spanish, of course. Free. Look for the “en vivo” link on the home page…

18. gianthead said, on June 16, 2014 at 11:35 am

I was in the same boat with Blade spending most of the weekend beginning our move to rural Virginia. I think the only inning I had seen the whole weekend was that horrible 9th on Saturday on one of the few mistakes if only mistake I have seen Pagan make in the field. And those hits off Romo were ones they seem to have been reaching for pitches out of the strike zone and sounded like that happened Friday night as well.

But I think the bad bad week probably highlights the need probably for an offensive upgrade at second. I am not worried about the pen, just a bad weekend…

19. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 11:51 am

I’m still not convinced that 2nd base is the priority over our pitching woes (despite our MLB 3rd best ERA of 3.22). I hope this rumor turns out to be true regarding Samarwhatchamacallit . . .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I saw that too and am thought the same. Not a free agent until 2015 is pretty pricey I imagine.

• blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I like that he isn’t a free agent until AFTER the 2015 season . . . Consequently, I view it as him having to “make his bones” for the rest of this season and next season – if he wants the Brinks truck backing up to his house. Great situation for the Giants (or any team that signs him) in my opinion.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2014 at 12:33 pm

It would take Crick and who knows what else but I’ve read some conflicting reports on Crick so maybe he’s available.

• Chipower9 said, on June 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm

What exactly do you see as our pitching woes? Bullpen? Starters?? 4th/5th spots in the rotations???

20. Irish Kevin said, on June 16, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Damn, The Giants forgot to play defense and they forgot the the game goes for 9 innings not 8. With that said, like everyone else knows, 162 games, the Giants are not going to with 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 everytime. but that was some damn ugly baseball this weekend.

Rest in peace Tony. prayers to you and your family

21. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I wouldn’t say woes, but if one of the 3 top guys goes down, we’ll be in some trouble. The thing is, if we get Saramalamadingdong, Vogie’s likely odd man out.I guess. Or Tim Tim goes to the pen at the $17 mill long relief guy?

22. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Damn. Mouth cancer for Gwynn? Can’t even imagine how bad that was. Shit’s disgusting. Tried it a few times and was thoroughly grossed out. Not that smoking for 20+ years was a bright idea, but i did try smokeless as a way to quit the Camels . . .

23. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Chuck and Chuck . . . Recently? Yes, the bullpen. Lets be honest – it sucked against the Rockies. Insofar as starting pitching? You can never have enough of it. Just ask the Sherpas who are the walking wounded (both position players and starting pitching). Shit, even the Dodgers were without Kershaw for an entire month and a couple of weeks. The starting pitching has also been occasionally inconsistent.

Moreover, go ask Sabean . . . In short, why are all the major publications indicating the Giants are interested in SamarafuckIcan’tspellhisname? If he comes on board, I’m sure Sabes and Bochy will figure out his role, along with Tiny Tim and Voggy. Me? I’m all in, as Samarawhosyerdaddy is a stud.

• Bozo said, on June 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm

The problem I have with Samuraialphabet is that he’s a Cub. How about we bet the farm and go after David Price AND Ben Zobrist? That would pretty much clinch the West right there.

• blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 2:48 pm

That works too. I can also spell their names.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2014 at 2:48 pm

SamarafuckIcan’tspellhisname. lulz

24. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Casilla’s return will help immensely. Plus the 2 games off in 4 days. Barring a meltdown by the starters in Chi-town.

Romo may get shuffled back to set up guy in short order if this shit goes on any longer.

25. salty said, on June 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Goal USA…took 32 seconds

26. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 16, 2014 at 3:34 pm

The one trademark of the Bochy era is thaty he usually gets the team back on the beat after some nut-stomping losses. Like the last 6 of 7.

Let’s hope Chi-town gets them rolling once again. We got Matt the Horse on the hill to hopefully right the chuckwagon. Head ‘em off at the pass?

• Alleykat said, on June 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Rollin Rollin Rollin
      Keep them Doggie’s Rollin
      Rawhide!!
      Get em up move em out, get em up move em out, get em up move em out Rawhide!!
      Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Gates leading the cattle drive, Yee Hah!!

27. Nipper said, on June 16, 2014 at 4:44 pm

What weekend? I forgot it already. Down with soccer! Skinny little men kicking and bumping and running into each other. They use their heads as a point of contact. How stupid! BOO HISS!

28. stickman said, on June 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Not too worried about the pen. Casilla could easily take over the closer role if Romo coughs up one more hairball. So it would maybe be Sergio and Affeldt with perhaps a dose of Machi for 7th and 8th in most games. Then there currently are three or four fairly capable relievers in the pipeline. Runzler has experience (almost a must for #15) and has been having a good season. Then there’s Hembree, Hall, Strickland and possibly even Brett Bochy. So if SF does some trading it may not include top relievers from Richmond or Fresno.

29. Flavor said, on June 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Another one gone too soon: Tony Gwynn. Would love to hear San Dawg’s take on it from San Diego. Hopefully his passing will be a wake up call to those who continue to chew tobacco.
    I dipped one time in my life. I was 12, we were at soccer practice and someone was passing around a tin. I tried it and in like 5 minutes threw up all over the side of the goal. That was it for me……

30. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Anyone else tripping out about how bad Verlander has been the last 2 years (especially this season)? Timmy’s not the “Lone Ranger” trying to adjust to a not so fast fastball and other diminished skill set.

• wswins said, on June 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

It’s not so much the velocity as it is movement…

31. Flavor said, on June 16, 2014 at 6:03 pm

new thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers