A Forgettable Game and Waiting For the All Star Game to Be Over

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 24, 2014

I’m not going to look up that dude’s minor league stats (mostly because I can’t spell his name) but I recall some twitidiots saying he had a problem with control, walked a lot of dudes (also k’d a lot). So what do the Giants do? They go up like brain dead lemming hackers. It’s like they didn’t even bother to read a scouting report. Whatever, losing to that pathetic offense is inexcusable. And Matt Cain sucks. And the Giants have some “Desplainin’” to do….

Question for you all: Does anyone care if any Giants make the all star team? Are any of you voting? I could care less about the all star game. I’d rather have my team rest instead of engage in all that bullshit. I think I cared more about Giants all stars BEFORE 2010– it was the only way we really got recognized nationally. But after you win 2 world series in three years you stop caring about what the rest of the country thinks. The all star game, especially the home run derby, is pretty underwhelming for me at this point. Additionally, voting has become a joke. Back in the day, you earned your vote by going to the game and freezing your ass off waiting for the usher to bring you some punch out cards. I don’t vote these days but I think all you have to do is point and click from the comfort of your home. 25 votes max. Every day. Is that correct? If so, it’s lame.

Here’s how to fix the HR Derby: Fire Chris Berman immediately. And just make it one round. You get 30 swings. That’s it.

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:09 am

I don’t give a fig about the AS game. It’s all pitching mowing down hitting. Giving the winner of this joke of a game the WS home field is a joke. Meanwhile, the Giants rotation during this 10 of 13 loss string has an ERA of 5+. This rotation needs to right the ship, or it’s running aground…

2. James said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:18 am

I always seem to be working late the night of the All Star game.

3. Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:25 am

I stopped caring about the All Star game after interleague games were forced on me.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:27 am

I don’t vote for the ASG but snagged a ballot at a minor league game, for archival purposes.

Concerning our recent and perhaps still-current deadspin, I remember seeing the Giants in Pittsburgh, just before the ASG, in 2012. (Met K&K and Steve Blass.) The Giants were pretty awful. Bedraggled. Lost. Tired. A mess. But things turned out pretty sweet, I must remind myself.

• Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:38 am

Good perspective Pawlie. Losing 9 of 10 is a prime indication that it can change ever so quickly. And what is to say that it does not change for our boys in a positive manner.

5. salty said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:31 am

Yeah, ASG used to be a cool thing as a kid. Always had to watch and see what Mays did. And maybe that’s still what is important now- the excitement for kids seeing their favorite players.

6. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:32 am

The dude (Deplane! Deplane!) may have control problems, but he was ahead of everyone all night last night. Guys were taking ptiches early, but they would fall behind immediately.

Cain was fine until one guy got on base. Then he completely fell apart. He was consistently in the 91-92 range but they spanked fat pitches.

Speaking of head case, there’s something wrong with Cain. He can’t pitch out of the stretch.

• Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:39 am

His velocity isn’t that bad. It is what it has been for the past year or so. But now, his pitches just seem to have no movement…they just dance up there with HIT ME written all over the them.

• UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:59 am

Yeah, the annoying theing was seeing Cain get ahead if hitters and serve up a cripple pitch. Timmy falls victim to the same shit. It;’s like they are relieved to get to 2 strikes, and expect the hitter to think they are going to waste one, so they pipe it.

I don’t get it. Cain didn’t start nibbling til he gave up some hits.

7. Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:34 am

Awesome thread, Craig. I agree about the AS game. With the voting (and you are right…25 per day) it is a fucking joke. And the HR derby SUCKS. I like your idea…one round, get Berman the fuck outta there, etc.

Before I comment on some of the comments from last night, I want to say that snarkk’s 11:15 PM comment should be POTD. That was a beautifully written post that I agree with 110%.

So, I went back and read some of the comments yesterday. We all have our opinions. And I wanted to weigh in on some of the late comments re: stats and chemisty. I can appreciate stats, but I don’t pour over them every day. And I disagree with James whole-heartedly in regards to chemistry. Blade had a really great follow-up on this, too (told James he was FOS…and he was delivery this as a friend). I damned near fell outta my chair laughing.

Don’t take this wrong James…I appreciate all you bring to the blog, but I do disagree big time with you re: chemistry. I think Pagan brings a TON of it to the team. There are thing he does just in being around the guys, his mannerisms (the salute), etc. that are not measurable by statistics, but I think they have a huge impact on this team’s mojo.

So, regarding stats and chemistry, wherever you stand on that, we can just agree to disagree, because all the fucking stats in the world will never change my mind about chemistry being a huge component to the success of a baseball team.

Cain – for a couple of weeks I have been saying that he needs to get his shit together. Each start I am hopeful that this is that start. And it is sad because I think the dude may be done. He certainly isn’t a top of the rotation guy. I know I was calling 2nd base as the priority a couple of weeks ago, but since the (the losing trend and only have two quality starters), I have changed that tune. I think it VERY important that Sabes goes and gets another starter. The sooner the better.

And the question was asked last night that if the Giants were going into the playoffs, who would be my third starter. For me it would probably be Timmy, with Vogey a close second. Sorry Cain…you’re riding the pine my friend. Hell, anyone got Zito on speed dial? Paging Barry Zito, paging Barry Zito. Mr. Zito, please put down your purple stuffed animal and pick up the pink courtesy phone.

• James said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:24 am

If most of you agreed with me, I’d get bored, Chi. ;-)

Angel can salute all he wants. It has no bearing on someone else’s split second ability to hit a 92 mph fastball well, or to decide to lay off of an 88 mph slider because it breaks a few inches below the knees. The salute also has no effect on whether or not that well hit ball finds a gap or is at one of the OFers.

• Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:30 am

The salute is a minor piece. My point is (and you have said many times you disagree) that Pagan, IMNSHO, brings something to the party that is NOT measurable is stats. And those things add to chemistry. I (and I believe, a majority of Flappers) believe in it.

I’m not changing your point of view, and you are not chaning mine. So again, we agree to disagree.

You cannot deny, based on W-L record, that the team performs better when Caballo Loco is leading off for the team.

8. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:34 am

Bummie and Posey are probably the only one going, unless Morse gets picked as a bench guy. Posey needs the rest. I hope he doesn’t go.

• Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:58 am

Game on went to on Fathers Day, I picked up a A/S ballot and noticed Posey on the HR Derby contest, really WTF he’s been battling a tweak back/ Neck most of the year.
      He doesn’t need to be in that BS contest, and fuck him self up more!!

9. Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:43 am

Well, at least the powers that be have acknowledged that change was required, but I don’t think this is the answer.

10. Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:54 am

Just saw this. I had no idea that MudBug was second in AS votes for SS.

11. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:01 am

I think my favorite home run derby moment of the past 12 years was Barry Bonds basically telling Bud Selig to suck it by blowing the thing off in 2007.

• Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:28 am

LMFAO Chuck
      Great for Barry to tell Bud to basically FUCK OFF!!!

12. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:15 am

Yeah BF, Agree to the max on Chris back back back back back back back back back back back back back back Berman!!!
    Fire his fat ass, he just a corporate tool now and takes on the enjoyment out of the contest, which isn’t much anyway…

13. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:58 am

Here’s a couple pics from last night . . . not sure if I remember how to do this. yes, a very forgettable game. But at least it was over quickly. My son is getting pissed. The last 3 games we’ve seen have been, 5-1, 4-1, and now 6-0 losses.

14. willedav said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:08 am

Chemistry re: sports teams is a pretty funny thing. In baseball, where you are around same guys every day for 6 months, keeping issues to a minimum is good…but so are 3 run HRs. Rally thong was cool but so was the fact that Huff hit 26 bombs. What role did chemistry have in Pablo hitting 3 HRs off Verlander?

Look no further than Red Sox epic tank that cost Francona his job couple years ago. Until last month or so everything was fine, that all of sudden come the reports that clubhouse ran wild. I still think Madden is right, “Winning is the great deodorant” that hides all the other stuff that doesn’t smell so good.

I’ve coached teams that got along great and partied together after losses when they didn’t play well because some players took the edge off and kept others from gripping. Last HS team I coached won the league and half of the principal players couldn’t stand each other. It was an f-ing nightmare.

Giants Ls lately have far less to do with chemistry than not playing the game well— let downs from SPs, pen, defense and last night zero offense combined with all of above. Like to see them finish homestand well. Only 1 day off Monday before another 13 in a row before AS break, including STL here Pads there 4 split with Oaktown and AZ back here. This will be a grind, esp because LA and others must be smelling blood.

15. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

Well, that’s the thing, James. It’s why they are called intangibles. I liken it to when the Warriors traded Chris Webber for Googs. Both were forwards. Both put up similar numbers the year they were swapped, but no one in their right mind would think Googs was the same as Weber. Not in a million years.

If the players give just a little extra effort because Pence gets them fired up in the dugout, or Panda waves his boots around, who’s to say that tiny bit of spark doesn’t make the ball go 6″ further to be a double rather than an out?

I mean, look what is happening now. Losing certainly feeds off of itself. When they were rolling, they GOT the extra hit. They MADE the timely pitch. Now they are scuffling. They don’t get the balls to drop. I mean, it certainly isn’t magic, but it also isn’t as cut-and-dried as you seem to portray it. Emotions DO play a part in this and any other competition.

• UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:53 am

Weird. Willie, I didn’t see your comment when I posted mine, but it sorta fits anyway.

There’s always outliers. Some teams overcome their infighting by being that much better than their competition.

Some (like, say, the last two Giants WS teams) seem to parlay their camraderie into a synergistic outcome. Certainly no one gave the Giants a chance in either postseason. Because on paper they weren’t the dominant team in most of the series’s (s’s).

16. UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:37 am

LEt’s try this agin . . .

Garrett, San Dawg Jr, Allison Kathy, Unca

• UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:44 am

Nevermind. I put some pics in the Photo bucket.

• willedav said, on June 24, 2014 at 11:44 am

Thx man, those are great. Such a beautiful yard, that pic of Cain warming up is great. Family (potential future one included) too man.

• UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 1:54 pm

AhhhhGH! Shhhhhhhh! Thanks.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:38 am

I’ve never voted for the All-Star Game, probably never will and honestly could care less about the game itself. I am all for anything that involves shit canning Chris Berman.

18. Nipper said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:49 am

Fire Chris Berman immediately………I like it!

19. willedav said, on June 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

I like Pagan, but the more relevant stat would be that SF wins when Pagan is doing well. His OPS when they win is .900, in losses it’s in the .500s. He got off to great start this year but May/June OB and slugging have dropped off. It definitely does make a difference when he is not in there, but SF won twice in AZ over the weekend without him too. And he was on the field during the Sherpas sweep here.
    I think good mgrs. minimize this stuff and get more out of all the others, pitchers included. I’ve repeated this one, but Kruk tells the story of when he was in Philly, team wasn’t winning, hitters were scuffling and mgr. called a team meeting. K and his buddies were expecting hitters to get the brunt of it but instead mgr. called out the pitchers instead–”Hey you know they aren’t doing well right now so pick them up” type of message.

And I think that applies to Giants. Hey, blanco isn’t going to turn into Andrew McCutchen while Pagan is out. So it’s up to everyone to pick up the slack, rest of the LU SPs and pen included.

20. James said, on June 24, 2014 at 1:44 pm

The camera shot we see — the pitcher versus the batter — is a huge percentage of the game. Baseball is a team sport predicated on a one on one face off that requires extraordinary concentration. If anything, it’s about keeping your emotions contained. It doesn’t have much in common with football or basketball. Your team mates have little to do with how well you hit the ball or conversely how well you prevent a batter from making good contact.

It is also played over an incredibly long 162 game season. Success is built on collective skill and fair bit of luck. If there’s any team sport where individual personalities are a sideshow, it’s baseball. It’s kind’ve All-American and Commie to an extreme at the same time. Which is another thing that makes it cool in my book.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:01 pm

So you don’t believe in chemistry? :)

• UncaChucks NinerPage said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Well, the point of these points is to point out the point that when Pagan went down last year, so did the team. They weren’t lapping the field like this year, but the point remains that when Pagan went down, the Giants were in 1st place. After he hit the DL, they sank. Are they related? The stats don’t tell us much, other than Blanco didn’t quite live up to Pagan. But the Giants as a team started losing games.

ERAs and BAs, OBPs, OPSs and all that mean whatever they mean individually, but the stat that the Giants went into a tailspin when they lost Pagan last year isn’t relevant?

The same pattern seems to be upon us. Pagan has been out or slowed by injury. The team again is struggling

• blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Good post (especially love “. . . the point of these points is to point out the point . . .” :-) )

21. Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Same line-up as last night…hopefully different results. Again, against a recent call-up who the Giants have not seen before…

1.Blanco CF
    2.Pence RF
    3.Posey C
    4.Sandoval 3B
    5.Morse 1B
    6.Colvin LF
    7.Crawford SS
    8.Panik 2B
    9.Hudson P

22. Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:32 pm

My last thought on chemistry. There is no way to definitively measure whether or not chemistry contributes to a team’s success or not. Some feel that it is a big component. Others believe it has no bearing on a baseball team. And others (probably most) are somewhere in the middle.

Regardless of what all the fucking stats in the world say, I believe that chemistry has an impact on baseball clubs.

23. Chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Will probably catch you Flappers during the game. We have decided to foster a dog, so off to meet the misses and pick out a pooch. Hoping that the chemistry between the foster dog and our three terriers is good. Because you know how chemistry affects things…don’t you…

24. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Love the shit storm this has started. Ha. Chuck used a word, “synergistic” – which means, “An effect arising between two or more agents, entities, factors, or substances that produces an effect greater than the sum of their individual effects.” For example, we used this term frequently in the occupational safety and health field (of which I was a part), e.g., smoking cigarettes and being exposed to asbestos has a synergistic effect. In other words, one plus one does NOT equal two . . . but rather, it is far greater then two. What that number is can’t be accurately expressed, but studies have shown it is far greater then being exposed to only one agent/substance.

Same thing with baseball. You can’t quantitatively measure the “chemistry” between a team’s players, but the sum total (negative or positive) is greater with a certain group of players then another group. We have quotations about this, such as “one bad apple spoils the whole barrel.” Another is, “When the character of the person is not clear to you, look at his friends.” In short, all baseball GMs try to have good chemistry. Shit, we’ve all heard about the “God Squads,” e.g., Sherpas in the mid-2000s.

The bottom line is this, no one here is going to convince James he is wrong (by the way, I like that you are resolute in your argument James . . . I wouldn’t respect you otherwise), but I have always disagreed with this point and will continue to call him on it when I think he is spouting BS as I did last night. :-)

My last argument – borrowed from snarkk, “Why go to games then? Just read the box scores and beat off to Fangraphs?…” Classic!

• chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I loved that part of snarkk’s post last night too. No beating off here…I put the game on pause, and go tear off a piece…

• James said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hey, Blade, this always seems to get lost in the back and forth, but there’s a difference between grasping why a team is successful and the pleasure of watching a game.

25. Irish Kevin said, on June 24, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Oh my, Team Chemistry and baseball players. NO SUCH THING. If there was how do you explain the 2002 team. Bonds and J Kent could not stand each other. And most of the other players on the team just tolerated Bonds because management told them to!! For the most part James is right. It is one on one, pitcher verse Batter. Where is the team chemistry in that. Now Camaraderie between players that is a whole other story. Do these guys like each other? I would say yes. do the players want their fellow players to do well? Yes they do.

• chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm

One instance (2002 example) doesn’t cut it, Kevin. Sorry, but I saw all types of good chemistry on both the 2010 and 2012 World Series Champion teams. Now you can go check out the box scores with James and beat off. Ha….

• blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:41 pm

lol

26. Flavor said, on June 24, 2014 at 5:54 pm

team chemistry can be the thing that takes you over the top and wins you the world series or a team can have no team chemistry and win the world series. Or both teams can lose because of it or without it. Come on, I’m assuming most of you played sports, everyone understands the value of team chemistry. You just can’t put a value on it.
    Dig?

• chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:29 pm

You nailed it Craig…

27. WilcoJoe said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Great pictures of the family Chuck! Very cute couple and still mind blowing to think how small this universe really is. Though I’am sure James would disagree ;)

• DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm

James knows the exact measurement.

• James said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Wilco, I agree that Pagan is a good player and the Giants line up is better with him in it. :-)

• James said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Loo, the measure of Pagan’s contribution is his 767 OPS. If Blanco had produced the exact same stats and results as Pagan, I believe his White Shark gesture would have had the exact same effect as Angel’s salute.

• DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Well what if Pagan switches to the Icky Shuffle?

28. chipower9 said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I still think (Loo was the first to call for it) that snarkk’s post from last night at 11:15 (I think) is classic shit and definitely POTD material.

• Flavor said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Too long for POTD but I put it in the POTD–best of. Still my favorite section of the blog.

• Chipower9 said, on June 25, 2014 at 7:48 am

Well, it seems there were some lengthy POTD, but that is cool. And yes…one of my favorite places on the blog.

29. Flavor said, on June 24, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Chuck– love the new photos you dumped into the bucket from the game last night. You and Diggity have great looking kids. Looks like you had fun.

30. zumiee said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:15 pm

When the Giants chose to not activate Melky for the 2012 playoffs, they were showing faith in the synergy of the team to prevail. It was cool how the Giants were rewarded for that decision.

• DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I agree – but it can’t be proven. With Melky, they might have swept every series.

31. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Chuck.. Real nice pics in the Flap Bucket!
    One thing I see is real nice “Chemistry” between your daughter& Diggty Jr!!
    James care to comment ?

• blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:20 pm

• Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Nice work Blade !!
        Loved Lost in Space,I had real chemistry going with Judy Robinson😛

32. zumiee said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Panik gets his first error. That was pretty quick.

• zumiee said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:18 pm

DP, and no problem.

33. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Nothing like making up for your 1st big league error for Panik!
    The pitchers best friend a DP follows!

34. zumiee said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Waiting for the All Star Game to be over? It’s all about waiting the way they have it set up now. All the teams get the Thursday off now. So, after the last regular game is over on Sunday, fans have to wait until FRIDAY NIGHT for the next real game. That’s ridiculous. One of the big selling points of the sport is its everyday-ness. To put that big of a gap in the schedule is a slap in the face to fans, in my opinion. More of the fans getting taken for granted and treated like crap.

35. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Jesse Hahn?
    No relation to Jessica Hahn I assume?
    Man this game better not go like last night with another nobody dominating us!

36. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Damm that was a nasty curveball to freeze Buster!
    Who are these guys?

37. Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Nice DP. Panik and Craw work well together.

38. zumiee said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Earlier today I heard a broadcaster say “The batter hit a 5-iron there.” Which means nothing to me. I’ve heard baseball broadcasters say that several times over the years; so and so hit a 9-iron, so and so hit a 7-iron.
    All I can say is pfffffft. Golf metaphors are mostly lost on me.

• Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I will break it down for you Zumie if I can since I golf..
      A 5 iron is more of a line drive
      A 7 iron medium depth some height
      A 9 iron or a Wedge a pop-up

39. zumiee said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm

We’re having a lot of trouble with these 1927 YankPadres.

40. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Five strike outs from the guy just out of the witness protection program. Fuck.

41. Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Fucking hell. Nothing says shit on a stick like getting no hit by the Pads.

42. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Good to see us picking up right where we left off yesterday in being completely baffled.

Chemistry, chemicals, they have to do something soon.

43. stickman said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

That top of the 3rd may have been illustrative of the current difference between Cain and Hudson. There were runners on 2nd and third with one out. Run scored on a sac fly. Next one out. Inning over. Damage control limited to one tally for SD. Now if those Giants hitters can get going on THIS kid pitcher…

44. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Huh? What’s that about? Dude’s hitting corners all day and he goes at the head?

45. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Shit, That’s right where we were sitting yesterday.

46. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Oh fuck this. We’re alreasdy looking like we’re toast.

47. pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I mean, for fecksake, is this the new normal: be no-hit every night for four innings? I mean, whatthefuckingfuck.

48. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Thank God for the DP.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I will use discretion and not make a vulgar joke. nope. not me. nosiree.

• blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Go ahead. That never stopped anyone here. :-)

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:15 pm

offline, yes

49. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Not only are we losing to Cy Young Hahn, I’ve just been kicked off my big screen, so my daughter and her friends can watch Pretty Little Bitches, well that’s what I call it, Actually Pretty little Liars?
    Fuck life is cruel, though they are making a bad ass dinner, my post will continue from my bedroom TV for now..,

50. Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Hey this guy for the Pads has a no hit game going.

51. Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:14 pm

No hits, no runs. That sounds kinda special, is it? The No hit I mean.

• Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Well I guess the no runs could be considered kinda special. But no hits, imagine that.

52. Macdog said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm

They’re making progress — no one struck out that inning.

53. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Rookie should have had it. Shit.

54. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Too many double penetr . . . double plays?

Ahhh. Great. We don’t look like a 1st place team all of a sudden.

• blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:28 pm

You and Pawlie with the double entendres (not to be confused with the double pen . . . umm, never mind).

55. pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:24 pm

This is so fucking 2008-09.

56. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:25 pm

If the runner ar 3rd isn’t running, the guy at 2nd isn’t.

57. DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:25 pm

When they look like shit, they really look like shit…

58. paulinasia said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:26 pm

You really gotta love baseball to be a manager. Night after night, Bochy stands there watching the game he once played. When it’s going great, as it was not too long ago, it’s great; a couple weeks ago, he allowed the very understated comment “I have no complaints”. Maybe he shouldn’t have said that. Now he gets to stand there, night after night, watching some rather inept baseball. As he had to do for much of last year. We joke here about it being time for him to upturn the food spread after the game, and yet, he never seems to lose his cool. At all. Wonder what goes through his mind inside that big skull as he stands there, watching, especially another game like this one so far. Such patience. I always thought I would’ve loved to be a baseball manager, but no way I have the patience Bochy appears to have.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I’d be going berserk and die of a heart attack my first week.

59. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Wow. A bridge rtoo far.. Nice play though.

60. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Well, the 1st AZ game it looked like Bochy could have chewed up a few baseball bats.

61. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:27 pm

This game blows!
    2 errors for Panik,that second one he looked scared staying in there, granted Pablo could of given him a better throw, but Fuck this is the big leagues kid!

62. pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Why does this game have a deja vu all over again, sick-to-my-stomach feel to it? Maybe it is bedtime for Bozo. And me.

63. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Minimizing the damage at this point means losing by 3 instead of 6.

64. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Fuck, that inning lasted two days.

65. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:32 pm

If I’m every other Giants opponent the rest of the year, I call up some young unknown pitcher every goddamn day and let him throw a complete game shut out against us.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:45 pm

potd

• Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Nailed that Post Chuck!
      I was thinking the same thing, they show no patience when we face an unknown!
      Who fucking scouts for us in the minors?, that can’t relay some decent info on these guys..

66. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:33 pm

. . .and the crowd goes wild!

67. salty said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:33 pm

As I feared Hudson now looking like he did 2012-13. Down to one quality starter.

68. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:33 pm

That’s the Padres I love. Waaaay to go Panda!

69. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:38 pm

14 innings, 1 run.

70. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Unless Huddy can help his cause here/.

71. pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:47 pm

It’s all just building up to a Hector Sanchez walkoff, right?

72. DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I wonder if Bonds was ever intentionally walked when he lead off an inning.

• Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Not sure Loo,
      Do recall when Buck Showalter walked him with the base loaded, turned out workin for the D-Bucks that night..

73. salty said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Should have PH for Cain. I mean Hudson.

74. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Where are the callups that we can throw out there to toss shutouts?

This rotation is leaking oil, has a blown gasket, and the timing chain is about to break.

Oh, fuck me. An IF single? Right.

Joe Amarista DiMaggio. It’s hard not to think this team isn’t done.

• salty said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Tums and Boggy to follow. No wonder Bochy didn’t want to go to the pen.

• DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:33 pm

That pitcher’s hat looks like one of those Rasta beanies.
      This one ain’t over yet…

75. pawliekokonuts said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:55 pm

That’s it. I’m out. Exeunt omnes. Baseball sabbatical. Sayonara. Adios.

76. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:55 pm

When it’s time for a change, think whiskey, and lots of it.

77. Alleykat said, on June 24, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hey BF..
    Is this Forgettable game part 2?

78. SanDawg said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:02 pm

What a mess.
    Thanks for the pics Chuck, good to see you all there even though the game was lousy. Funny that Cain pitched as he always seems to pitch when I take the kids to see the Giants. A few reactions to some recent topics:
    I do think Pagan brings a certain X factor to the team, BUT I also think that as a group here, we make a bit bigger deal out of him than he actually is.
    I usually watch the all star game and still like to see what the Giants players do, but totally agree it ain’t as big of a deal as it was before we won a couple of rings. My favorite recent all star moment was Heath Bell sprinting in from the bullpen and doing a pop-up slide at the mound. I haven’t voted in years and I’ve been to about 8 Padre games this year. Just doesn’t interest me to vote anymore. Agree that online voting is bs and am totally down with taking Berman off any live sporting event. Restrict him to Sportscenter only.

• unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Yeah, we had a good time, even though the game was a total shit job.

ASG? This is the closest to an actual ASG that matters, but I’ve pretty mcuh soured on it.

It’s like Mark Cuban said about the NFL. When the pugs get greedy, the pigs get slaughtered. The home run derby, all the other bullshit, just makes the whole thing a bore.

79. Bozo said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Well, I’ve gotta say, statistically and also chemistry wise, this game sucks. Pulling the plug.

80. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm

No shit, think I’ll jerk off to fan graphs.

• Chipower9 said, on June 25, 2014 at 7:56 am

LMAO…mix in a little porn, and I am right there with you.

81. willedav said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Chuck I’m gonna disagree with you on Hudson. He’s given up his share of line drive rockets tonite, started every inning in the stretch, hit a guy and his defense has turned DPs behind him and thrown a guy out at the plate on a ball that almost left the yard. And once again put SF in a big deficit.
    I always wondered how many effective innings he would have this year, and I still do.

• unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, yer right. he couldn’t stop the bleeding, He’s been shakey as well as everyone not named snot rocket.

82. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I think they should wear hockey masks with Friday The 13th scars or that mask Hannibal Lecter wore.

83. paulinasia said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Seems like it wasn’t all that long ago that even if the team was down a few runs with a few innings to go, it was worth watching, because they had “come back” in them. Not sure why that seems unlikely these days. Somebody needs to start stepping up and get it done to overcome the big holes the pitching has been creating of late. And, obviously, the pitching needs to stop digging those holes… kind of a team-wide failure right now.

• blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, you’re right . . . Since the Colorado series, there’s been no sense of a potential comeback ability by this team. This is only one area. The pitching has sucked, sans Bum, and the relief pitching has been shaky too. If we were playing an elite team right now, I wouldn’t feel as shitty about our situation, but this is the sad sack Padres. Meh.

• paulinasia said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:40 pm

And they’re playing at home. Double meh….

84. Macdog said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:33 pm

A diversion — Phish is on Letterman!

85. blade3colorado said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Great. Now our own fans are fucking us in the shitter.

86. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Not here. Yet

87. DJLoo said, on June 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm

K & K are out of their minds. Colvin was 2 feet away from touching that ball.

88. unca_chuck said, on June 24, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Since we’ve seen Juan Marichal and Nolan Ryan, do we get Bob Gibson tomorrow.?

Funny thing about the interference, the guy I was sitting next to yesterday,when the same thing happened, and we got to talking about why even build it so fans CAN interfere? I get the foul lines, but don’t build it so fans can interfere. It isn’t that hard to do, and it doesn’t take away from the fan ‘experience.’

He said he was at the Cain perfecto and that he;s gone downhill since then. He also said he was at the Gaylord Perry no-no in ’68. The one where Sam Washburn threw a no-no the next day against the Giants.

Tim Tim tomorrow? I’m sick of saying someone needs to right the ship. Pagan has missed what, 12 gmaes? He’d be ready to come off the DL if he went on it. I think he’s done.\

• DJLoo said, on June 25, 2014 at 3:59 am

If you ever see that guy again, tell him it was Ray Washburn.

89. Nipper said, on June 25, 2014 at 4:53 am

So far…….June SUCKS! ……Lets go back to May.

90. willedav said, on June 25, 2014 at 7:14 am

I liked Paul’s post about bochy and his patience as mgr., which is being sorely tested these days.
    You know your team can play better than this because you’ve seen it but it’s not happening in any phase of the game. Lesser teams are beating yours at home and on the road and the team right behind you is rapidly gaining ground.
    It’s tough for us to watch for a couple hours but Bochy’s gotta live it 24/7. How you get things to turn around and keep everyone from gripping and grinding a bat into sawdust etc. is a skill only the best and most experienced possess.

91. Chipower9 said, on June 25, 2014 at 8:06 am

Wow. I am still just a bit flabbergassed as to how the wheels came off in almost every facet of the game so quickly. Shit, two and a half weeks ago our boys were making hay and had a 9.5 game lead on the bums.

And we have gone from three solid top of the rotation starters to two, and now, possibly down to one.

As many have mentioned, the Giants have always had the propensity to make a young pitcher they have never seen look like Cy fucking Young. But to have your team give up 6+ to one of the worst hitting teams in the majors on back-to-back nights. WTF.

If we get swept at home by the fucking Padres, it may be time to start scouting out ledges.

Only positive – the dog we fostered (picked her up last night) is just wonderful. All of the dogs, including our three terrorists (terriers) acclimated to one another wonderfully. She is a smart dog, and gorgeous (Border Collie and English Shepherd mix, I believe). I will be very surprised if she is not adopted this weekend.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…Go Timmy, Go Giants!

World Series Champions. Again.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers