Rock Bottom. I Hope. And A Poem by “Bobby Bowden”

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 29, 2014

I just took my “LostAgain” facebook profile pic down. It’s pretty hard to mock the Dodgers with that as my profile pic when we are the worst team in baseball. And we are. The shitty Rockies took 3 from us at home. Fucking San Diego took 2 of 3 and the only way we got even one W was the no hitter. And now the Reds, a good but not great team, sweep us in 4 IN OUR OWN FUCKING PARK!!!! It’s madness I tell you….
I think they need to go on the road, let the dudes get drunk together, miss some curfews, maybe bang a slump buster or two. But whoops, that’s not going to happen. We stay banished in “Hell’s Phone Park” for another series against the Cardinals who, for all their struggles, are a much better team than we are.
It’s times like these that I’m glad to be able to immerse myself in fantasy baseball and distance myself from the misery that is my home team…..

_________________________________

In these dark days, I turn to my elder statesman for guidance. Here’s the email I got from my dad this morning:

On Monday, June 30, 2014 5:58 AM, WV <> wrote:
the tide comes in
the tide goes out
the sun has set
__________________
That was the entire email. Thank you, Dad. Somewhere down in San Diego, San Dawg is lqth.
Read this epic poem out loud and do it in your best Bobby Bowden voice and you will know what it’s like to be my dad…..
__________________________________
and finally, a very interesting graph that I stole off Pav’s blog:
tj
About these ads

1. stickman said, on June 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Bochy had another bright idea: Closer by committee. Closer to a guaranteed loss with some lefties in the lineup for the Reds getting him to trot out Affeldt. Casilla had to come in to try clean up the mess. He should close until and unless he proves otherwise.

Not that the closer role made any severious difference in today’s debacle but there is one game less than half the season to go and i hope BB15 has learned his lesson. Meanwhile there is a much needed day off from the madness and then a visit from St. Louis is in the Cards. We need Pagan and Belt back stat.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm

the closer job is like one of the last things I’m worried about. I’d be fine with a few games in a row where we are headed to the 9th with a lead. Right now, getting a 2-3 run lead late in a game seems almost an impossible task.

2. Nipper said, on June 29, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Yeah it sucks……..June…..Giants play.

3. zumiee said, on June 29, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Isn’t Morse getting close to a month without an HR? There’s so many leaks now sprung in our balloon that it’s hard to catalog all of them.

I’ve been reading the “Wilt, 1962″ book, and finding it very interesting. What a different smaller world the NBA was in those days. Teams often booked doubleheaders, 4 teams on the bill, to try to boost attendance. Sometimes the 2nd game was a Globetrotter game. Teams would sometimes schedule homegames in other cities to try to help promote the NBA. That’s why Chamberlain’s 100-point game was played in Hershey, PA, in a minor league hockey arena. The Lakers hosted a few homegames in Portland (!) Well, I guess that actually helped, as Portland eventually got an expansion team.

4. blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I mentioned this yesterday, comparing it to the Dutch boy plugging a leaking dyke with his finger . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Brinker,_or_The_Silver_Skates#mediaviewer/File:Hans_Brinker_Madurodam.jpg

We have so many holes though right now, that one Dutch boy couldn’t possibly “catalog” (as you said) all the leaks, much less plug them. In any event, I have no answers, other then the players need to get back to playing some semblance of the type of baseball they were playing in the 1st part of the season. This shit ain’t cutting it.

5. Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I think it’s probably at least reasonable to consider the possibility that Romo has a cranky elbow right now. His sliders just don’t look like the devastating pitches they used to look like—and it’s been noticeable the last few weeks (at least I think it’s been noticeable). Maybe he needs a break. The Giants don’t ever talk about injuries so maybe they’re keeping this under wraps. And that’s a good thing, if he’s healthy enough to pitch you don’t want the opposition to know he’s hurting, that just gives them an advantage.And it’s possible Sergio is keeping this to himself.
    But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it turned out his elbow is hurting……

• stickman said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:33 pm

“Keeping it to himself.” Hope not. In the interests of the team a pitcher who is not quite up to snuff should share the info with the pitching coach ~ particularly a closer and to some fair degree setup men as well.

6. Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I don’t know if it was the lighting or the chick or what. But the new BBOTD had the right vibe to hopefully pull us out of the abyss. We’ll see if she works!

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm

A masterpiece Flav! You obviously are turning a new leaf as this slut is a high price $$$$ hooker compared with some of the previous hags that have graced BBOTD.

7. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:14 pm

This may be the worst June since ATT started. I don’t know. Somebody will probably figure that out.
    I wouldn’t doubt if it is near the worst stretch of home games in any one month since ATT started. That’s the killer — this stretch has been suffered mostly at home…

8. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I was at a brew pub half watching the WCup and guys faking injuries left and right, while also watching another screen with the last innings of the latest Giants debacle. I missed some, but it looked like Affeldt was doing his on again off again act, this time pretty off, including the fairly regular wild pitch scud. We have another season (2015) of this guy, right? Why is it that the Giants can’t hit Homer Bailey, yet the league has handled him pretty well this year?…

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Wow, reading the game recap, glad I missed the Affeldt hit batter and balk. Along with the wild pitch, a trifecta of suckage for Affeldt. Maybe the Pen is already gassed, and coming apart now…

9. unca_chuck said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Oh well. took a complete day off from baseball, took my son to chinatown, and realized there was a parade. Took a little while to get around market, but we walked around Chinatown, looked at stuff, had a late lunch at the 4 Seas, and he bought a little sword. Figured I’d tune into the news about the game on the drive home, and it was hari kari time.

First thing they say is the lead is gone. What do we do? What should we get? Yadda yadda yadda.

I tell ya. for all the good Bochy has done, we’ve seen this style of not doing a hell of a lot regarding the lineup. Not that shuffling the deck chairs will save the day, but at what point do you move Blanco put of lead off? When do you put your RBI guy (Pence) lower in the order?

Yeah, we’re banged up. Yeah, the hope is Belt comes back on fire. And Pagan gets right. I know James will hate this, but we aren’t hitting. We won’t win when ALL the pressure is on the pitching to keep scores close. 4 runs in 4 games? You can’t win of you get no-hit through 5 innings every fucking game.

I still don;t know what the score was today other than we scored 1 run again?

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Optimist.
      It was 4-0.
      Bailey with his first complete game and shutout since his no-hitter vs. SF one year ago…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:45 pm

he was no hitting them again till like into the 7th

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Last day of the month and an off day couldn’t come at a better time. Gotta regroup. Or something.

11. Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm

We’ve had worse June’s to be sure. But this one feels like the worst because we were fooled into false hopes of *coasting* to the finish line. Thank Hank Schulman for using the fucking “C-word”. We went into this tailspin after he said that…..

12. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:51 pm

At least they’ve cratered early. Still time to recover, though they’ll have to do it after blowing the best home park stretch of the year. Obviously they can’t play this poorly through the balance of the season. Panik isn’t giving me warm fuzzies at 2nd yet. What is inexplicable to me is how a team offense can crater so immediately, then so long almost throughout the lineup, save Posey. Early on, looked like this team was going to be nails at scoring runs…

• stickman said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Again, i would not panic on our second baseman until after he escapes for awhile from the ATT effect. Let’s see what he can do on the road before making any hasty decisions. When the team expresses general suckage (like our Beastie Boy lately in particular) it’s a bit much to expect a fast takeoff from a rookie who probably would rather be playing at Willie Mays Field.

13. blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Angel Pagan (back) is hopeful to return to the Giants’ starting lineup Tuesday versus the Cardinals. Belt not as quick if you believe what I’m reading about him being back next weekend in San Diego. Shit, I thought he was already doing well in his rehab and would be back Tuesday as well. Anyone else know more?

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm

In the broadcast, K & K, or maybe it was Amy G., said that Bochy wants Belt back earlier this week than originally planned. Bochy hears about Belt tearing it up in the minors, and Bochy’s ready for some of that at the big league level ASAP.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:09 pm

He’ll probably come back and press and suck shit just like the rest of them. Sorry, I am not in a good mood about this team right now….

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Zum . . . shit travels slow across the Sierras . . . break . . . Flavor, you’re not the lone ranger. I think it is hard for all of us to digest this shit. It’s like a 3 week combination nightmare/groundhog day.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:10 pm

They were thinking cautiously for Belt based on the thought that they brought Panda up too soon after his last wrist surgery, and he went 3 for 30 or something (isn’t he doing that now?). Anyway, I think the thing that might keep Belt down a bit is whether his thumb is healed enough to allow for control of his throws. Here’s a vid of yesterday in Fresno of Belt, if you can handle the background noise. He talks about a stiff wrist from the cast taking a while to loosen up…

14. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm

The Cards are coming in here, after getting worked by LA 2 of 3. They won’t be in a mood to lay down. And, Wainright is pitching one game. This next series isn’t looking good for a series win, IMO…

• Rooster said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:31 am

Actually, The Dodgers won 3 of 4, outscoring the Cards 17-4 in the series.

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Fuck the Fucking Fuck Dodgers.

15. blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Well, the good news is that the Dodgers have both Ramirez and their new phenom, Justin Turner, addressing health maladies. Turner actually went on the DL and Ramirez is day to day. In the month of June, Turner was hitting .389 with 10 RBIs in 54 at-bats. On the season, Turner is hitting .302 with three home runs and 21 RBIs in 59 games, and has been a source of solid defense. Nice to know the Bums wont have his services for awhile.

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, that’s the thing, the Dodgers aren’t the greatest thing since sliced bread. I’d hate to see the Giants just fizzle out and hand the division over this season. IF the Giants can keep pressure on the Dodgers throughout the season, the Dodgers are vulnerable.
      BUT- I’m reminded of that famous video of Jim Mora being asked about his team’s fading playoff chances.
      “PLAYOFFS?! PLAYOFFS?! We’re just trying to win a game!”
      The Giants, unfortunately, are in “just trying to win a game” mode.

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:31 am

Well, all winning streaks are started by “just winning a game.” Let’s start by taking the first from the Redbirds and take it from there.

16. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Actually, Panda is hitting just above .300 for June, though at .238 for the past week…

17. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Seemed to me that the rise in hitting for Posey the last few weeks coincided with Hector taking more of the catching load with Belt out. I assume there’s a stat somewhere on this…

18. Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Retweeted by Larry Krueger
    ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 3h
    Clayton Kershaw: 6-0, 0.82, 61 K in June

1 of 4 Pitchers to go 6-0, 50 K, sub-1 ERA in month (Hideo Nomo, Randy Johnson, Justin Verlander)

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Koufax’ love child?…

19. snarkk said, on June 29, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Tonight, Belt has hit another HR for Fresno.
    Sheezus, if he can throw, get him up here. I’d rather watch him strike out than more pop ups by Blanco…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm

well that doesn’t really solve the Blanco problem. Pagan needs to get straight and be able to play to put Blanco back on the bench.

20. unca_chuck said, on June 29, 2014 at 10:24 pm

4-0? Shit. Glad I didn’t bother. The good news is June is over for the Giants and baseball.

What’s crazy is the 10 game roadie early in the year was supposed to define the team and its chances, and they killed it. Get this big homestand and they absolutely fuck it up beyond recognition.

21. James said, on June 29, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Chuck, re your earlier post, the 2013 and 2014 editions of the team had nearly identical Junes:

2013: 10-17, 90 runs scored, 109 allowed
    2014: 10-16, 93 runs scored, 116 allowed

The reason this year’s team isn’t in the shitter (yet), is because, unlike last year, the good offense of April and May was matched by good pitching.

93 runs scored isn’t very good nor is the 116 allowed. The team would have finished at 500 this month if either the offense or pitching had continued to perform on par with April and May, i.e., either 93 runs scored off set by ~ 90 runs allowed or 116 runs allowed balanced by ~115 runs scored. In each of those scenarios, you’d have a clear culprit for the drop off to 500.

I hold no special belief that good pitching is more important than hitting. You can have very good pitching and a decent offense, or ok pitching and a great offense to succeed. The job of a GM is to ensure that the roster produces a ratio of runs scored to runs allowed that is optimized over a season.

22. Rooster said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:27 am

Well, it’s the half-way point, so I figure I better check in and talk you guys back from the ledge. Still a whole lotta baseball to go. All even at the top of the division, should make for a good, exciting race to the finish. Looking forward to it.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2014 at 6:33 am

dinner at Rooster’s house is complete and he is ready to talk about baseball. Perfect timing my man! lol

• willedav said, on June 30, 2014 at 7:08 am

Yeah, adding insult to injury, we get rooster posts again.
        2 words–MIchael Wacha.
        The rook that outdueled LA Cy guy Kershaw, not once but twice. And sent their sorry quarter billion dollar payroll asses packing yet again for the umpteenth year since Reagan era.

• wswins said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:37 am

Now we have a chance to pull out of this slump…rooster crowing bullshit….always a good sign.

23. willedav said, on June 30, 2014 at 7:02 am

Hudson deserved better fate, he had a great game.
    And credit where it’s due, reds made all the plays in the field. Honest, I had a bad feeling after Scumaker made that grab at the wall off Posey in the first, wondering if SF would get many more. Which of course they didn’t.
    Once again, their bottom of the order guys did damage. Cozart at .229 had a great series in field and at bat. Their clean up guy Bruce is only hitting .244. Their pitching stood out though. all weekend.

BB is a breath of fresh air, and hey if she paid for them, they’re hers.

A blond gal with similar came in store at work Friday, said she couldn’t find her (expensive) suitcase at home and wondered if we had it. Which we did–she had brought it in for repairs 3 months ago, we had called her twice after it got fixed. Headlights were definitely on, though not a lot at home I don’t think.

Zum, glad you enjoy Wilt book. A lot of new stuff in there for me too. Attles always joked he went 8-8 from the floor that night but nobody cared. I always liked Wilt, uncoachable as he was. NBA was a trip in those days–Warriors used to come to San Jose for preseason game at Civic arena that held maybe 5K tops. And I can remember going to games at SF Civic that wasn’t much bigger with folding chairs and a pre game with AAU guys/former local college stars.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:25 am

Great book, Willie, thanks for the recommendation. The book really takes the reader to the time and place, in basketball and society. The book is surprisingly poignant in its telling of the story of many lives that came together that night. It’s interesting how that works: a single sporting event brings so many threads together.
      Pomerantz’s last paragraph about Wilt’s death, in 1999, was poignant and insightful:

“Three days later, the Dipper died alone. On a table by his bed was a picture of his mother. Huey (a friend) believed Wilt would have chosen to die alone, that as he had held life to himself, so, too, would he make death his and his alone.”

24. Alleykat said, on June 30, 2014 at 8:02 am

Well what the hell, Timmy pitches tomorrow with 6 days rest working on his 2nd straight no hitter to match Johnny Van Der Mear back to back, lookin for any positive right now!

25. Nipper said, on June 30, 2014 at 8:45 am

Rooster is back posting here. That about says it all.

26. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:08 am

Yeah, and we had an ODB/Hanger sighting recently.

Signs of the apocalypse, I suppose.

27. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:09 am

Nice poem. . . .

I mean, except for the obvious implications. Another sign?

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:16 am

Jeez, I hope he was talking about the giants season. Maybe he was talking about his life. I should give him a call and make sure he’s ok. :) :) :)

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:31 am

Wonderful empathy your dad showed for you, BF. He knew you’d be hurting after that Reds series.

My mom was asking me what’s wrong with the Giants. It’s hard to come up with a concise answer, other than sounding like Marty Lurie: “That’s baseball.”

28. wswins said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:39 am

Rooster showing up gives me hope of pulling out of this slump pronto….and having the dogs and us reverse trends.

29. Flavor said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:51 am

Time for Rooster to get sent on another nice, long dinner. Only way to make that happen is for the Giants to start winning again

30. pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:54 am

Your father is a zen sensei. I’m a zen wannabe. I have one word for this slump: phuckmehard.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:06 am

You got a great email and so did I, one that came last night but I opened today. It came from a stranger, a lady in Texas. It’s about . . . well, here it is, below. I do not think she will mind. I redacted it so that names and places are obscured. I told her this would be included in the book if it were ever to be revised; not possible, though. I know we Giants fans and Cardinals fans have our differences, even animosities. But this is a human story, and it reminds me my books are not about sales. And baseball is not just about winning or losing.

“Thank you for writing Baseball’s Starry Night. I was raised in a family of longtime Cardinal fans and have passed this trait to my oldest son. He is a native Austinite where I moved in 1981 to attend the University of Texas. My soon to be husband followed in 1982 and we never left. We made a trek back to Missouri to see Mark McGuire hit #37
    in 1998. We travelled to Houston to see Pujols quiet the crowd in the playoffs in game 5 with his home run. But it is September 28, 2011 that evokes the most emotion for me.
    My son had been home less than a month from a four year stint in the Navy. He was living with friends south of Austin and struggling with independence. Contact with me was minimal, yet he responded to my text within 30 seconds, when I texted, “Want to drive to Houston to see the Cards clinch the wildcard tonight?” with one word…”YES!”
    He was in my office at by 3pm. My husband arrived with Cardinal shirts for us to wear and off my son and I headed on Hwy 290 toward Houston. He talked the entire trip about Navy experiences, funny, sad and scary. We revisited Cardinal moments we had shared. We talked about the future.
    Parking was easy, not many Houston fans were going to the game. The short walk to Minutemaid Park was filled with other fans in Cardinal Red. Carp was flawless and the Cardinal bats were hot. The drama came from afar and cheers would go up from the Cardinal faithful when developments would appear on phones before the scoreboard. The highlight being the Braves game being tied. The bases were empty and the crowd roared. Carp turned, Molina stepped out in front of the plate…all eyes were on the scoreboard as it switched to 3-3! What a night. What a memory!!!! The chant of “Let’s Go Cardinals” resounded. The Cards stayed on the field to acknowledge the fan base after the game.
    My son and I were able to pick up ESPN radio on the drive back (and yes, we were still following updates by phone) and were thrilled when, indeed, the Cards did win the Wildcard. I will always remember this night. Yes, I was happy the Cards won, but this was the night I got my son back!

Thank you for writing about it.”

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:41 am

Very cool story (email) Pawlie (even coming from a DeadBird fan). Thanks for sharing.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Danke, Chuck.

32. Irish Kevin said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:07 am

Yes, I would agree that this is one of the worst June swoons I have seen. So when Belt and Pagan. The field will have Morse in left, Pagan in Center, Belt at first and Panik at second. Does everyone agree with this or should the Giants be looking for a 2nd baseman as Marty Lurie stated on the radio. I think you stick with Panik. What is really needed is a backup leadoff hitter for when Pagan goes down or needs a day off. The Giants have absolutely no one to back up Pagan.

33. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:17 am

* Besides Smardge, the Cubs are probably going to put Nate up for sale. Takers?
    *Our 1 percentage point lead is going to present a tough hill to climb if the Dodgers hope to take the lead
    *From Baggs: “Last year Sergio Romo threw 506 sliders &1 got taken deep. This year? Five HRs/244.”
    * If another starting pitcher is to be traded for at the deadline, it would probably come from the Jason Hammel’s of the league. Why bother?

34. pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:17 am

I am not sold on Panik in the slightest and was mildly surprised at the naive and orgasmic praise for him here AFTER ONE FECKING GAME.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:40 am

On the other hand, Bochy has been criticized for not giving the kids a real chance. Considering the current alternatives for 2nd base, I’d say that Panik be given until the deadline before thinking about a change, Of course if Scutaro really does come back there would be a fall back if Panik doesn’t work out.

35. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:22 am

Naive and orgasmic?

Love it.

36. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:23 am

Flavor, yes my post was regarding your dad commenting on your state of being after the latest Giants debacle.

Hope all is well otherwise.

37. Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:43 am

I know there have been worse June Swoons, but I’ll be damned if I can recall one off the top of my head.

It’s one thing to have one facet of your game tank over an extended period (be it SP, bullpen, or hitters), but this fucking team decided to do it simultaneously in EVERY FUCKING FACET UNDER THE SUN.

So glad for the day off.

I am not one to leave a game early when I attend, and I typically will watch a game through from beginning to end on the boob tube, but these past couple of games I turned the games off early is utter disgust. Fucking pathetic excuse for MLB-level baseball. It has been a loooong time since my dauber has been this far down.

The only positive…it is still early, and the team is not in a hole in the division. I feel it can only get better…can’t get much worse!

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

That’s what is weird to me, Chi. For the second year in a row, Gyros go through an extended period where the wheels just come completely off of everything. No HRs, no hitting, the starters had an ERA over 5 for a stretch in there, now they’re back, but now Romo and the Pen have been bringing in a sprayer of 91 octane. I can see that with a really bad team, but this team is pretty good before you get to the bench. A 4 or 5 game stretch of suckage is common for any good team during a season, but 4-15? That’s just weird…

38. Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

I read (and shared the link I belive) late last week (maybe Friday) that Belt’s first series back was going to be PHing only, and that he would slowing work into playing in the field. The hold-up on his return was being able to throw the ball…not swing the bat. I have not seen any recent updates on how he is progressing in this regards.

Get Belt and Pagan back. Blanco really has to go back to the bench, or (as has been discussed much here) put someone else in the lead-off. Crawford, Panik, ANYONE except Blanco.

39. snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:55 am

What if Pagan can’t come back, or has chronic back issues (of course we don’t know what’s really wrong) for the rest of his contract? There’s nobody to take his place, supplant him, on the present horizon. Gary Brown? No. Blanco? Hell no. Nobody in the system. To have one guy that valuable to team performance, and I think he is for some reason, based on this year and last, is strange to me. Can’t explain it. I don’t think they will go out and get anyone worth a darn that can back him up and be a decent leadoff guy, because then they’ll need to make a LT move for this outfield. I wouldn’t miss Blanco in the slightest, if he had to be moved to make room for somebody else that can actually lead off in Pagan’s stead. I assume he made that ill advised steal try of 3rd on his own yesterday, with Posey, the ONLY guy hitting, at the plate. There’s trying something, then there’s trying something dumb with a big downside and little upside. That move was in the latter category…

40. salty said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:03 am

I’m concerned Pagan comes back and the back problem reoccurs. To need epidural one week, then back running twisting etc soon after…seems overly optimistic to me. Kinda like expecting Scoots to be ready OD.

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

I have had spinal epidurals. I don’t think it out of reason to beleive he can come back and play at a high level (if there truly was no structural damage, etc. to the spine, vertabrae, etc.).

41. Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:07 am

snarkk – we won’t know on Pagan until he makes his return. Let’s just hope that it was something minor and that he comes back fully healthy and ready to contribute.

I read this in one of Baggs’ recent pieces, and it is absolutely true:

“There seems to be growing fan discontent over Blanco, who has flatlined once again when asked to play every day in Angel Pagan’s absence. But any wrath shouldn’t be directed at Blanco, or even at Bochy for playing him. The Giants’ lack of depth in this area is an organizational failure. Former first-rounder Gary Brown, a leadoff hitting center fielder, was supposed to be ready by now. He isn’t. That is an issue that goes beyond Blanco and Bochy.”

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:12 am

I don’t think there’s any fan wrath directed at Blanco. A little hyperbole there from Baggs. I certainly don’t have wrath directed at the guy. It’s not his fault he’s put in a position by Sabean that we knew last year he couldn’t succeed — everyday player. He’s just not very good, he’s a 5th OFer. Sabean chose to roll the dice again and go with Morse as the only OF upgrade, and cross fingers that Pagan wouldn’t get hurt again. Ooops. If they could get somebody better, I wouldn’t miss Blanco, but wish him well. This Pagan problem would be the best opportunity for Brown, but him not coming up here for a try at taking over the backup role is quite telling. Confirms to me he’s got no future in this organization. He must realize it for sure, and should be agitating to somehow get into another organization after this season…

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:24 pm

He’s a fourth OFer. Perez is a 5th OFer, Colvin is a 5th OFer. Brown has done nothing to merit a call up. The guy who really needs to step it up is The Beast. As I think I mentioned yesterday, he’s on a 0 run 0 RBI 0 HR streak since June 14, now 11 games.

• unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:16 am

Right. Blanco is what he is. A 4th-5th OFer. If anything fans are pulling for him. Sure, he’s not getting on base like he should, but NO ONE is hitting on this homestand.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:19 am

Compared to Pagan in good health, Colvin/Blanco is not close to being able to get it done. IMO both are 5th OFers, with Blanco offering above average defense. Blanco’s speed as a hitter is pretty much wasted, because he doesn’t use it much to try to get on base…

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Are you responding to me? I never said anything about Colvin and Blanco being comparable to a Pagan in good health. But Pagan’s physical health concerns me much less than his “head health”. Ever since he started with the bat flinging he looked like a guy not quite with it. His performance in the Rockies series was extremely perplexing and none of it could be explained by a stiff back.

42. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:14 am

I hear ya, Chuck. If not for being able to hang out with San Dawg Jr and my daughter we would have split the game early a week ago. It just looks so blaaaah when they consistently roll over pitches and ground out every stinking AB. Made it to 4 games this year, and 3 were flat awful. My only win this year was the Flapapalooza, and it was over way too fast. 2 shutouts and a 6-2 loss.

I think Pagan i snot coming back any time soon, irregardless of what the brass says. I’d love to be wrong, but back issues are not easy to overcome. And he doesn’t seems to be responding well to the epidural.

43. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:24 am

The day after . . . I am feeling bad for Sergio Romo. Sergio, if you read this blog – thanks for the amazing run man. You did one hell of a job as the closer and you may be back doing it again. You’re a gamer and the Giants will still benefit from your skills as we go forward. I know Miggy Cabrera will never forget you. Hang in there dude!

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:35 am

Somebody above wondered if he’s got an injured wing, what with the slider not working that well. Maybe rest will do the elbow some good. I’d DL the guy if for nothing else to decompress. Get Kontos up here, he can’t do any worse, can he?…

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:52 am

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Through May 9, he had a 1.65 ERA and 0.61 WHIP. Phenomenal numbers. Since then, a 9.00 ERA and 1.47 WHIP. Something doesn’t compute and I definitely don’t buy “. . . he has become predictable with the slider.” Bullshit. He either is hurt or something is screwy with his mechanics. Remember, this is a guy that is smaller then Tim Lincecum. I would imagine he weighs 160 lbs. wet. Also remember, the same shit happened with Brian Wilson, i.e., he played hurt and his performance showed it.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 11:55 am

The other theory I have is that the opposition is stealing signs some way, some how or he is “communicating” what he is going to throw by some delivery mannerism.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Why would Kontos even be considered for the closer role? I have to think that you’re joking.

• unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Not as the closer, as a call-up for Romo.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm

“Get Kontos up here, he can’t do any worse, can he?…”: that certainly suggests that he meant that Kontos would close.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:46 pm

No, not Kontos for closer. Heavens no. Just take Romo’s spot in the Pen. Casilla is closer, or by committee. Kontos is 6th inning material, or 7th with a big lead or deficit…

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Another who played (pitched) hurt, and it showed, and he ended up being done afterwards was Nen.

• James said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Nice post, Blade. Romo’s been just about the most consistently good bullpen guy in the NL over the last 6 years.

His fastball is still at 88, so any injury is not reflected in the velocity. I’m hopeful he’s just hit the kind of concentrated bad stretch that might affect a starter over a couple of games, and then be forgotten.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm

He is throwing awful pitches far too often. Simple.

• James said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:36 pm

True, but those awful pitches have occurred in a very small number of innings over the last few weeks.

Good to see you posting again, TF.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm

TY James. It’s a conundrum and I don’t pretend to know the answer why he was pitching lights out through mid May and then went south since then. On the other hand, other MLB closers have done the same thing, so it’s not like he is the first to face plant.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Agree about the problem not being his 88 MPH fastball, since that was the exact pitch he struck out Miggy with (chuckling here).

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

This in response to Blade’s 12:40. You got it…Romo has tons of company re: other closers who have struggled of late. And nice post at 11:24. Agree whole-heartedly.

44. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Well, the slider is the hardest pitch on the arm, so there’s the possiblibty that he’s hurt and/or spent.

Yeah, give him some rest and see if he can snap it off later.

Kontos? Uhhhhhhh. Hembree?

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Hembree has been face planting in the minors.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Three years in AAA pretty much tells the story.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:46 pm

True Mike.

45. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Well, as opposed to Kontos? Not that we even know if Romo is going on the DL, but . . .

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Problem is, there is no relief pitcher in Fresno who merits a call up. So I guess it could be Kontos by default. A long shot might be Cody Hall who is on a tear in Richmond. Unscored on in last 10 games.

46. Irish Kevin said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Okay so Panik after 4-5 games is not hitting .300. IMO with guys like Pence, Sandoval, Posey, Belt and Morse in your line up you should not be relying on a 2nd baseman to bring you over the top. Plus the Giants have Crawford who is turning into a fine steady hitter. So I say leave Panik in at 2nd base. It is time for the guys who have been here longer than 2 week to step up.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm

IMO, Panik is the 2nd baseman until further notice, or the trade deadline and somebody else arrives to take the job, or Scutaro returns from Lourdes with a cured disk. We know what Hicks and Adrianza can do at the MLB level. If Panik eventually can’t perform better than they can at the plate, say by end July, well, at least his excuse is he can go back down and maybe get better. Hicks, that doesn’t work, and Adrianza — uh, probably not either after his 7 or 8 years in the minors, whatever it is. BTW, those two guys are collecting dust while the team craters — what’s up with 2 position players doing nothing during a nosedive? BF mentioned that at least a week ago — three 2nd basemen on the 25 + Scutaro floating out there?…

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I agree. 2nd base is Panik’s until they get someone better via the trade, or Scoots comes back and play regularly (I don’t think that will happen…I see him PHing and playing occasionally, but not for long stretches).

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:59 pm

That’s not to say Panik does not need to pick it up soon. 4 for 23 = .174 = not great. He got 2 hits his first start in Ariz., 2 more since. Mays was 0-20 when he started, so Panik gets some slack for a while…

47. snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Speaking of the TJ surgeries histogram, I probably missed it here, but Derek Law just got TJ surgery last week. I didn’t know until just now. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/2114069/derek-law. I assume it was Dr. Andrews, since he gave a second opinion, but haven’t seen that for sure. Too bad. Hope the surgery takes and he’s got stuff again when he finishes rehab. Too many sliders?…

48. zumiee said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Awesome email from a reader of your book, Pawlie. That alone would have made your book worth the effort of writing and publishing, IMO. And lots of others have enjoyed your books, too. I’ve read “World Serious” a couple of times, and enjoyed the second time just as much as the first time.

49. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Shit, bat Panik/Crawford 1/2. Get Pence lower in the order. Bat Blanco 8th. At some point same old/same old doesn’t cut it.

Panik
    Crawford
    Posey
    Pablo
    Pence
    Morse
    Colvin/Duval
    Blanco

50. zumiee said, on June 30, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Both ESPN and the MLB network are in Dodgergasm mode today, giving the Dodgers a parade and throwing flower petals on them.
    Whatever. They’re still a bunch of chokers until they prove otherwise.

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Zum, thank God I “cut the cord” with cable/satellite and can be selective about what I tune into on ESPN and MLB network via the internet..

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Whenever I tune into ESPN radio, it’s usually a Lebron fest. They can’t go 10 minutes without a Lebron update, a Lebron speculation, a Lebron sighting, whatever. Just weird. The Spurs just throttled Lebron and the Heat, but it’s as if that never happened. Spurs? Who are they? Just like when the Giants won in 2010 and 2012. For ESPN, those two WS wins never happened. Then, it’s a Yankees or RedSox status report. Ooh, that Tanaka is good. Then a Jets/Giants/Patriots puff piece 6 weeks out from camps opening. Otherwise, MLB gets the scores read, and that’s pretty much it. A’s? Best record in MLB, a total ESPN secret. Lincecum’s no-hitter barely registered, from what I heard. If CC Sabathia threw a no-no, the ESPN world would explode…

• blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:22 pm

You just reminded me of another thing that amuses me about ESPN . . . They now have these “city” (or regional) pages, for example, “ESPN New York, ESPN Los Angeles, ESPN Chicago” despite the fact that none of these areas have won squat in years. Hilarious.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Yet, apparently 70% of the LA basin still can’t see Doghair games on TV because of the cable TV spat. I assume that’s still the case, haven’t seen anything where that’s been resolved…

51. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:12 pm

See you guys later. It’s our 42nd anniversary and we’re going to get down and boogie. I have no idea how we’ll get up is all..

• Irish Kevin said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Ha ha, have a great time Twin, and congrats on 42

• salty said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Happy 42nd to you and the missus, tf. Enjoy!

• Chipower9 said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:46 pm

That is awesome Michael. Congrats to you and Merna.

• Alleykat said, on June 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Congrats Michael,42 big ones, quite an achievement!!

52. Alleykat said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Well Romo did throw 6 straight sliders to Phillips with the 6th being a bomb and blown save, so he was to predictable when a FB might of frozen his ass like Cabera in the W/S.

53. salty said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Lincecum might be the exception. He still has that rock star appeal. I recall ESPN mlb si usa today CBS sports…all did front page glowing puffery on the no no.

54. snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I was thinking why not Runzler coming up to fill out the Pen while Romo takes a DL rest? Nah. Runzler’s last 10 games with Fresno: 10.2 frames, 14 hits, 9 earnies, .318 average against. Ouch…

55. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Funny, with the Giants downturn, I can’t watch any highlights. My son is 24/7 NFL Network, and my wife is 24/7 Game of Thrones so I see a lot of those . . . I’ve see about every 3rd Game of Thrones so I’m utterly confused. I thihnk I’d be more informed if I just skipped them all.

56. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Congrats, Mike! Coming up on 25 next year . . .

57. zumiee said, on June 30, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Bullpen guys on any team have kind of bemused me over the years. You’d think a guy could come in and get a few guys out just about every time, but it doesn’t always happen. It’s always a reminder of how hard the sport actually is.
    One of the things I remind myself is how small the plate looks from the pitchers mound. Then there’s a bunch of homeplate umpires who read the strikezone differently, or can’t read the pitcher’s ball movement very well. Then I think, sheesh, it’s a wonder they can get anybody out.

• James said, on June 30, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Let me beat Pawlie to it, and note with appreciation the correct use of the word bemused.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2014 at 2:52 pm

duly — not dually — noted

58. snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I thought it was a long time since the Doghairs were in a WSeries = 25 years (1988). But, 42 years at anything has that beat. May both the LA and Oracle’s respective streaks continue… ;)

59. pawliekokonuts said, on June 30, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Twin, happy 42nd anniversary.

60. snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Germans and French win through to meet each other next in WCup quarterfinals. The French have looked good, where the Germans had all they could handle today from Algeria to squeak a 2-1 win in extra time. Should be a good one. Though they might be whipped a little from today’s extra time, I’m going with the Germans…

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I was really rooting for Algeria. Bored this morning, I decided to look up the English translation of their national anthem. Man, they give it to the French pretty good in their anthem. Woulda been classic to sing it to them before a soccer match.
      Oh well, it wasn’t to be

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 4:26 pm

The final score was close, but the Germans had the attack on most of the game. They missed a bunch of goal opportunities. Probably should have been at least 3-1, maybe 4-1. That’s what is weird about soccer IMO, at the WCup level. One team can dominate play the whole game, yet not score, as the weaker team just focuses in on defending. So, in PKs, the weaker team can win the game. In American football, the better team can dominate field position, and in so doing will at least score field goal points, which makes the weaker team have to score something, somehow — maybe a special teams score or two, to win…

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm

For France v. Germany lunch, should it be quiche with a Bavarian weisbier, or kraut and a brat with an Alsatian Pinot Gris?..

61. DJLoo said, on June 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm

While Twin was busy getting married, Jim Howarth was hitting his first and only ML homer leading the Giants to an 8-4 victory over the Dodgers.

• 2 WS titles said, on July 1, 2014 at 8:44 am

Well heck then twin needs to provide a tasteful shot of Merna for the BBOTD. Get this thing rolling again .;)

62. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Chacin of SherpaLand (near Space Mountain) is going on the DL (with Franklin Morales replacing him), which means that the Sherpas have all lefties on their starting rotation. Ridiculous.

63. zumiee said, on June 30, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Good week to be on the big league club. Fresno Grizzlies and the Sac RiverCats dealing with the 100+ degree temperature and humidity.

64. Flavor said, on June 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm

and the email follow up. He’s a man of few words. And now we know, some of them are not his own. lqtm
    WV
    To Me
    Today at 5:53 PM
    read it on mlb.com
    thanks for the recognition
    Show message history

65. DJLoo said, on June 30, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Well, I’m very convinced Chase Utley will be a San Francisco Giant in July, and I’m all for it.

• DJLoo said, on June 30, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Might as well spend the money they saved stiffing Bumgarner.

66. DJLoo said, on June 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Nice to see Cock-A-Doodle-Dope has returned…

67. blade3colorado said, on June 30, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Speaking of dicks, the Dodgers just blew a chance to take an early lead against the Indians in the 4th.

68. willedav said, on June 30, 2014 at 8:48 pm

If you want some out of box thinking and your tired of Blanco in CF/leadoff…how about giving both jobs to Pence? His OB is consistently high and he runs well for a big guy. He’d hustle enough to cover the ground.
    Hey, the Giants hit Bobby Bonds at lead off, and he did not get cheated up there or go looking for a walk. Pence won’t match his numbers for bombs/steals, but it might work out. And throw another corner OF to RF if Pagan isn’t full strength or needs more time.

As others mentioned above, the problem isn’t Blanco, it’s that no one else can take his job away.

When Dean Smith won his first NCAA title, he said “All of a sudden I’m a lot smarter.”
    In the same vein I don’t think bochy has gotten dumber since June 8 42-21. But the guys he has put out there to hit pitch and field have not gotten it done. I can live with Panik and Adrianza, but replacing Hector at C (Susac?) and back up OF would be where I’d add to try and improve bench.

Chase Utley would surely help the LU, but dropping $20 mil plus for this year and next at 2b, I dunno. SF just seems to have bad luck with old guys they give deals to at that position. Spending that money on SP, fine.

As to France/Germany, KSJO DJ gal Laurie Roberts line was for her BF Hugo’s b-day she’d dress up as France and he’d invade her.

69. DJLoo said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I believe the Giants have tons of money to spend. They better go for it now because the window is closing. Cain and Lincecum are on the downsides of their careers. Hudson and Vogs are near the end. Romo, Affeldt and Lopez could be shot. Posey is getting pummeled to death behind the plate. Panda is likely to be gone as a FA. Sabean should go all out this year for one more title before we enter an era of shit.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Totally agree. Next season could be into the toidy. There is merde in the farm system to replenish this club…

70. Macdog said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Dan Haren is dealing a 1-hitter, and now some guy named Clint Robinson gets his first major league hit to give the Bums a 1-0 lead. We’re toast.

71. Macdog said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Billy Ripken on MLB Network show, who can forget this?

• unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2014 at 8:28 am

That is too fucking funny, Mac. Never saw that before.

72. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Well, 2nd place. June is over. maybe they get the wake up call.

73. willedav said, on June 30, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Loo/Snarkk, that’s a worst case scenario. I think Pablo stays, along side Belt Posey Crawford and Pence. Pagan’s health, as always, a major issue.
    dodgers aren’t that young either. Hanley and Agon, plus Kemp Ethier Crawford Uribe almost done. Puig Gordon Van slyke kid only young stalwarts, giants core group of position players looks more solid to me.

Difference would be pitching. Greinke can’t seem to stay anywhere for more than 2 years without wearing out welcome. Kershaw and Ryu are better than bum, and Jansen has edge at closer, but pen depth a push.

Sabes has always been able to buy his way into suitable replacements–Uribe ross Burrell Huff Glass Pence Scut Pagan…He’s smarter than Ned, maybe luckier too.

74. Bozo said, on July 1, 2014 at 4:19 am

Baggs and Rags. Don’t know if someone else mentioned this, but I found it to be an interesting read.

75. Nipper said, on July 1, 2014 at 5:44 am

A new day and a chance for a Giants victory! Yea team! A new month!

76. blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2014 at 6:48 am

Agree with Willie. The Dodgers are more likely to have the “era of shit” versus the Giants. Moreover, the ONLY thing the Dodgers lead in is the size of their wallets. Too bad wallets don’t play baseball. :-)

• Alleykat said, on July 1, 2014 at 7:21 am

Yeah but unfortunately the freakin Doghairs also lead the NL West this morning! WTF I feel like” Hannibal Lechter ate part of my brain for dessert”

• blade3colorado said, on July 1, 2014 at 7:29 am

Hopefully AK, Hannibal is munching on the part of your brain housing unit that controls memory . . . Dodgers caught us, but they got a lot of problems too, especially with HanRam.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers