A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Maddening Loss….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 2, 2010

I’ll post something later about it. I just wanted to get a new post up. We are obviously finding some glitches in the new blog, especially the “upward stutter” thing (it’s actually a lot like “inward singing” –Tenacious D reference, probably nobody got it)….I think the stutter is due to the theme and the number of posts, the tech guys think it will sort itself out. Until I figure it out I’ll throw a few posts up there a day, it seemed to get much worse once we got a lot of post going……..

Also, there are at least 2 of you who I missed on adding into the contest— will update later today.

1. raymond said, on June 2, 2010 at 7:19 am

i don’t get it either! wtf is up with this team right now!! wilson gets into and out of jam, but we don’t keep them at bay…i must admit i was following on my phone at the end (atbat), as it’s too early to see pain in the season, easier to seeing in green, red and blue…

2. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2010 at 7:59 am

Got home late and last I heard it was tied . . . WTF? Cain will pitch good tonight, but he needs run support. I hope the hitters don’t repeat their May 22nd Oakland game, i.e., Matt allowing one unearned run in eight innings of a 1-0 defeat while losing his third straight start. Pitching is outstanding, but unless they are perfect, it is hard to overcome mediocre situational hitting.

3. willied said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:18 am

Craig, re: Loo and Mora…

I always thought Balt would be a perfect trading partner for SF, because they have young hitters not outrageously priced, no pitching, and are going nowhere fast in a murderous division. To make playoffs, they have to beat out two of NY, Bos, and Tampa. They spent $$ to pick up Millwood and Tejada, and are worse than ever.

The guys I wanted were Roberts, Scott, Reimold or Markakis. Loo loved Mora, who had his absolute worst year in a long time 2009: OBP down to .320, OPS below .700 and for the first time in 7 years less than double digit HRs, playing in a hitter park. Plus, bloggers on MLBTR seemed to think he didn’t play very hard. I just thought this guy was the anithesis of who could help us…plus he’s 38 as of Feb this year.

Results: Scott is at ho hum .270, Reimold is in the minors, Roberts is hurt, and Markakis signed a new contract, while Mora is killing us with the Rox. He was the one that got the hit where Torres/Molina saved the winning run, to with a double and a BB. Looks like our long lost and lamented Loo saw something I didn’t.

4. pickledgringo said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

1 run in two days is a frightening trend we see all to often. I was little more optimistic in the offensive capability even up to a week ago, but these prolonged ‘slumps’ (though that’s like calling a 5 run game a binge) can’t go on if they have any chance at the playoffs. And if and when they do get into the playoffs, I can’t feel good they will be able to do anything offensively against ‘geeked up’ pitching staffs unless they make some permanent changes/additions.

Bring up Burrell but stick him in the lineup and see if he has anything left – he has more power than the other options available and certainly better plate discipline. He reminds me of what everyone was saying about Huff – bat with a bad year, no defense, ‘just another guy’ – can lightning strike twice?

5. Max808 said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:24 am

“…Mediocre situation hitting…”

You’re being too kind Blade.

6. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:27 am

Having to dodge bullets all night has to be extremely taxing on a pitching staff, no matter how talented. WTF is with Pablo? Hits into two killer DPs with Sanchez on board, the final killer being in the bottom of the 11th. Here he was smacking the ball all over the place against Ubaldo and then he goes crappy against dink pitchers last night. Molina played decent D. , but he is mired in a hitting slump which cries out “rest those grand tetons”. This bunch has got to do it for Matt the Horse tonight. Otherwise we are looking at a road trip which could drop the team into contention with the Snakes to stay outta the pit.

7. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:30 am

Beats running Rowand out there. Well, it mght . . . only one way to find out.

8. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:30 am

Burrell that is . . . .

9. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

LOL . . . Yeah, probably Max.

Stix, where were you when I needed ya this morning???? I was making a crock pot corned beef and cabbage and forgot the ingredients (uhh . . . except for the corned beef and cabbage of course). Consequently, I could have used our resident Giants baseball chef . . . instead, I got the “run of the mill” recipe off the internet.

10. San Dog said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:13 am

Chuck–you’re calling for Burrell too? Killing me, man.
    Hey, it worked out so well the last time we brought in a guy who put up good numbers in Philly—-let’s try it again!!

11. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Blade: Wait a minute. Don’t label me as resident chef when about all i know how to cook is with stuff from my garden, plus extra ingredients. My cabbage barely got planted a week ago, so its far from ready. Never have made that dish, per se, but it seems to me that i have encountered caraway seeds in some preparations. It would also seem to need potatoes. Maybe the Giants hitters are not getting the right nutrition, the way they flopped and flailed last night. But they won’t be facing Aaron Cook on this visit. May Cainer’s heat keep Colorado bats in the kitchen tonight and not ranging all over China Basin. By the way, its high time to get those SF bats outta the freezer. Warm em up with a friendly game of pepper.

12. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:23 am

‘Dog, how much more of Rowand can you take? He may be the next pile of shit at the plate, but the worse this gets, the better guys like Burrell and Dye look.

13. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:24 am

Rowand is overmatched about 90% of the time. He doesn’t recognize breaking balls anymore.

14. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

After the AZ series the team was back up to 4.28 RPG average. I’m trying to tell you: that’s about where it’s goung to be, so they are going to have some games like last night. Actually, I think they have a shot at 4.5 now, with more than half a year of Posey, Renteria returning, perhaps Burrell . So mellow out, long way to go, they will be in the postseason.

15. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

‘some’?

I can’t take it. My head will explode by September . . .

16. delmardennis said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

Baggarly was on KNBR this morning for the better part of 15 minutes. In a nutshell:

• Rowand’s a “core guy,” he’s going to play. Stop whining about it.
    • DeRosa’s going to have surgery, couldn’t foretell another injury. Shit happens. Get over it.
    • Pat Burrell? “Why not, he can’t fucking hurt” Fans will bitch whether he’s here or not.
    • Sabean can’t win for losing. Fans too concerned with player contracts. Didn’t even bother about “quit yer bitchin'” about Sabean. Saved his breath.
    • People on his blog are tired, angry fucks who drone on with tedious complaints in a never-ending futile attempt to prove they could do a better job. You can’t.
    • Enjoy the game more.

17. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

Corned Beef and Cabbage is basically just “Chicken Shit Haggis”… if you must have cabbage with the corned beef, make some good cole slaw ( or as granny used to call it: “Cold Slaw”… then just poach the corned beef with the little spice packet seeds and stuff that come with it. ONLY get a Corned Beef Brisket, no other cut. It will take a long time: 4 or 5 hours. Have a glaze ready, as you would use on a ham. Heat your oven to 500. Score the CB on the fatty side and spread it with a thick coating of the glaze. Heat the rest to droozle over the slices on your plates. Just give the brisket about 10-15 minutes to set the glaze a little. Some tiny little boiled new pototoes rolled in chopped mint or rosemary and melted butter when they’re done, the cole slaw, and the glazed Corned Beef.. perfect…

18. gianthead said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:38 am

“Mr. Burrell, pack your bags and meet us in Pittsbugh…”

19. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

Baggarly must read my posts.

20. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

Blade, we used that two on one technique pretty well this morning. Coaxed the covert kitchen guru right out there for the world to see. TF knows CB&C.

21. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:47 am

Schulman seems on board-he expects Burrell to be up by the Pittsburgh series. As he noted, last night held no better exanmple. Bochy went to Bowker and Tracy countered with Beimel. All we had is Whiteside so Bochy had to stay with Bowker. He could have swent Pat up and they were stuck with Beimel,

22. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:50 am

Sorry, they did alsp have Downs but RH pop off the bench has been a problem and still is.

23. delmardennis said, on June 2, 2010 at 9:53 am

Brennan’s in Berkeley makes a pretty decent corned beef. Good Irish Coffee as well. Secret is their whipping cream, pretty damn tasty.

24. bigflavor said, on June 2, 2010 at 10:46 am

Rowand is amazingly consistent. if he’s facing a RH pitcher and he’s got 2 strikes on him there is a 100% probability that he will be seeing a slider and he swings the exact same way, missing by the exact same amount, every single time…..

25. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 11:17 am

Well, let him know, Flavor…
    Anyway, he’s 6 for 11 with 4 doubles off the lefty Francis, I’m sure he’ll be in tonight..
    Others:
    Sanchez 4 for 14 1-3
    Sandoval 1 for 3 (double)
    Huff 1 for 3 0-1
    Uribe 0 for 5
    Molina 3 for 16 (2 HR) 2-3

26. zumarust said, on June 2, 2010 at 11:42 am

“Fans too concerned with player contracts.”

Well, I’VE made that point myself a few times. But contracts DO matter. Rowand is going to get all season to try to grind his way out of his batting troubles because of his contract.
    But having said that- Baggs is understandibly weary of his blog commenters going on and on about it. They are a negative boring repetitive group over at Baggs’ blog.

27. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 11:53 am

It’s boring and repetive wherever it is. But I think the overall point he’s making is “face reality”. And those who seem most unwilling to deal with reality are those who preach it the most. Of COURSE a lot of it is about the contract. They’d be the dumbest fucks on the planet if they bailed on millions of dollars the way the unwashed want them to.
    Anyway, Rowand won’t get all year UNLESS the dipshits like Bowker and Nate continue to suck when given their chances. If one of them gives Bochy an excuse, he’ll play him..

28. Kevin said, on June 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I am off to the game, spend sometime in SF then head to the park, my Son’s birthday is today he turns 20. No more teenager. His Name is Mike. I hope I get to see some offense tonight. Section 123

29. bigflavor said, on June 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm

good luck, Kev and Happy Birthday to your son.

30. Nipper said, on June 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Burrell is creating a negative vibe for the GM. They expect much more from Sabean. Why not a power hitter, they cry? Yeah and lets get 10 years younger and double our net worth. Fans are down about this offense for sure. They want results, and they want them now!

31. delmardennis said, on June 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

We all like to bitch and moan about, “How long are they gonna stick with so-and-so?” Well, how long is Flav gonna stick with the new blog if we continue to lose? We’re 0-2 since the switchover. If we don’t get off the Schneid here soon, I’m going back to the old one. 🙂

32. twinfan said, on June 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

To be clear, this month’s prize is now the Asus Netbook. I added an external DVD burner to it because these netbooks don’t have optical drives. It has XP Home installed. I don’t recommend trying Windows 7, you’d get slow performance….
    James’ HTPC will be on the way to him tomorrow. I want to thank Ted for graciously declining his prize rather than just selling it or giving it away. He didn’t need it so he gave me permission to give it to the second place winner. I’m delighted with that because I had felt badly – I had offered to sell James an HTPC beforte the contests began. That he was able to win one worked out great for everybody. Thanks again, Ted…

33. alleykat said, on June 2, 2010 at 1:07 pm

The May totals are in for Bengie and Aaron and they are really disgusting.

Bengie Molina- .250OBP-.263 SLG-.513 OPS-.184 BA
    Aaron Rowand-.228 OBP-.370 SLG-.598 OPS-.194 BA

The Giants played 28 games in May.Rowand played in 26 and Molina 24.Rowand had 114 PA.He made 90 outs including 3 GDP.That’s unbelievable.And it’s no fluke.He has been going downhill every year,and this is it apparently,no longer able to ketch up with a fastball even at 92 mph cockshot that everybody in the park knows is coming.The slider is used only by the most sadistic hurlers these days,it is an unnecessary strain on their arm.

Molina has not been quite as damaging.Simply because he only started 20 of the 28 games.Nevertheless,he managed to make 63 0uts in 84 AB’s including 1 GDP.

So between the two of them and their combined 18 M ,salaries they accounted for 153 outs in 198 plate appearances.That’s a rate of 77.7 pct.And here’s the kicker from Bochy on Molina.And of course nothing said about Gamer.
    “He’s getting better AB’S,he’s swinging better.”

“Say good night Gracie.”
    “Good night Gracie.”

34. bigflavor said, on June 2, 2010 at 1:35 pm

that’s awesome that it worked out that way for James…..My tech guy bailed on me today so we aren’t going to see any changes to the blog till tomorrow at the earliest. I’ll change the thread again at game time, I really think the stutter up thing was just too many posts. And once we can change some things around in the HTML that should be fixed……

35. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 2:05 pm

XP rocks. 7 is ehhhhhh . . .Better than Vista I suppose.

I like the preview windows below, circa Mac OS 2 in ’88 . . .

36. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Who the hell is doing the TU/TD thing?

And yeah, I get like 2 seconds of stutter now.

37. delmardennis said, on June 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm

You and Mel Tillis would make quite a pair, Chuck.

38. bigflavor said, on June 2, 2010 at 2:17 pm

i didn’t get any stutter until after about 125 yesterday.

39. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Th-th-th-th-th-th-that’s all, folks!

40. Michael said, on June 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Windows 7 is much better if you do a lot of multimedia.. just installed 7 Ultimate on a Solid State drive on my PC. I got an extra SSD when I ordered for the architect’s work stations, it’s awesome. SSD’s are pricey but coming down, I just got a 64GB Kingston SSD for about $150.00. With external drives as cheap as they are, it’s a good way to go. Put the OS and applications on the SSD and everything else on the external..

41. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Work has locked me out of the Flap all day as a “social network” but I tried again and bingo. So a belated thanks for the kind words twin. It was my pleasure and I’m glad James got something he already had his eyes on. twin, are you now posting as both twinfan *and* Michael?

42. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm

And today I can’t see anyone’s avatars. But at least I can read the posts

43. zumarust said, on June 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love this post from the ExtraBaggs comments section today:

“SOMEONE PLEASE BEACH ARRON ROWAND AND FIRE BOCH AND SEBEAN!!”

It’s almost accidentally poetic. You see- the writer seems to be saying that Rowand needs to be “beached,” because, alas, he is lost at sea at the moment.

44. DaddyO said, on June 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Wow, Dodgers over D-Backs 1 – 0 in 14. Third consecutive walkoff to sweep the series.

*The Dodgers swept the D-backs, winning each of the three games with a walkoff. Four of the Dodgers’ five walkoffs this season have come against the D-backs, including Tuesday’s 10-inning, 1-0 victory.*

45. Max808 said, on June 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Big Flavor, I frwd my losing June prediction to your “correct” e-mail. SOrry about the mix-up.