A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Lots to Like About Last Night…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 6, 2010

I woke up this morning feeling like we won that game last night. I doubt the 9th inning happens last night if the Friday night comeback didn’t happen. You could *feel* it happening and I don’t mind saying that I was certain Freddy Sanchez was going to hit a grand slam when he came up in the 9th. When the ball left his bat I didn’t even flinch, I KNEW it was gone. And then…

And I liked the way Bochy MANAGED the game yesterday. Batting Pablo 8th? Good move, Pablo has sucked all year. Batting 3rd isn’t a right, you earn it. Sitting Rowand? Always deserving of a prop from me. Pinch hitting for Molina in the 6th in an easy RBI spot? I know he said he’s saving him to catch today but that doesn’t wash with me. When you are the #4 hitter and Matt Downs pinch hits for you and you are replaced by Eli Whiteside–I don’t care what the circumstances are, the message to you should be clear: start playing better or you’re gone……

1. xootsuit said, on June 6, 2010 at 8:37 am

I woke up this morning wondering if the many individual pieces of this team will ever stop shifting amorphously from week to week, game to game, and finally fit together in a combination that will win consistently enough to make the playoffs. Right now Freddy’s return looks great. He is consistent, and excellent, in all apsects of the game. Torres has been very good, across the board. Huff and Uribe join this group, too. As do Cain, Ziito (!) and (benefit of the doubt here) Wilson. Everyone else, everyone, has been inconsistent, no, fucking erratic. (Posey’s iimpressive, yet strangely modest, methodical .400+ BA is too little too early to judge.) Of course, Eli the Anomaly is beyond logical explanation. This team needs to pull together. Shaking things up, as Bochy has been doing (and, as Sabean has done, with Burrell’s addition) is only the first step toward finding a way to fit the pieces together. With this crew, lineups will shift, hot hitters will get the extra chance to produce, etc. But the core group needs to settle in: Lincecum and Pablo, in particular, have to bounce back.

btw, I also disagree with you, BF, about Pablo. In 22 games in April he tore the cover off the ball. .368 BA 1.008 OPS. Mixed in with the super-charged hitting were 6 GIDPs. We hardly noticed them, then. And remember, all of that eye-sight tinkering started in ST, well before his great April. He hasn’t “sucked all year.” He should be able to pull out of this slump.

So as the Giants rumble toward another up and down, but ultimately over-.500 month, I think we’re really waiting for them to kick it into a higher gear. I am.

2. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 8:37 am

Back to normal for today. Go Timmeh!

RF Torres
    2B Sanchez
    3B Sandoval
    LF Huff
    SS Uribe
    C Molina
    1B Posey
    CF Rowand
    P Lincecum

3. San Dog said, on June 6, 2010 at 8:41 am

It’s cool that they continue to show a lot of fight and give us hope until the last out. Like everyone else, I thought that ball was gone and was reaching for my phone as it got hauled in. I have been pleasantly surprised to see Franchez playing so well so soon, and I’m totally down with Pablo in the 8 hole.
    Can’t wait to see what happens today with Tim. Him getting back to his dominating ways and leading the way to taking 2 out of 3 will put me in a great frame of mind regarding the Orange and Black. Another rough outing will be another story….
    I actually thought Kawakami’s recent column about how much Lincecum means to the psyche of the team was right on. I usually don’t care for Kawakami’s columns about the Giants as he seems to get off on ripping them and making things worse than they really are, but I thought that column was fair.
    I think the line-up is going to be a daily crap shoot for the time being. At this point, I’ve made my peace with it. All I care about is that Uribe is not the odd man out at any point.

4. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 8:41 am

BTW, who the hell is “Jack Hollywood,” and why can’t I see his pic? Anyways…if KNBR is any indication, “Iron Head” Joe will be starting in Cincy, and Madison will start at home vs the O’s in a “friendly environment.” We’ll see…

5. bigflavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 8:58 am

Jack is my friend’s son and I thought it was a cute pic. Not sure why you can’t see it, maybe it’s your browser. According to wordpress, firefox is the best browser to use. I use chrome.

6. bigflavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:11 am

XOOT– agreed, he had a stellar April. He’s sucked for most of the year, how about that? 87 at bats in April, 127 at bats since…….

7. pickledgringo said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:12 am

I have no problems with shifting the lineup as a a strategy to get the right guys in the right spots, but like Flav, would much rather have a consistent lineup. I think the problem is the way guys are moved and where, and the inconsistency in the handling of the players there which is what opens up the scrutiny, at least from me. Give Bowker one game as starter (which he hit a homerun in to boot), give Molina 40 and counting – I understand vets have earned more leash but the bias is ridiculous and irresponsible.

8. bigflavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:22 am

Molina got pinch hit for by freaking Matt Downs in the 6th inning. That’s huge writing on the wall for him. Bochy mumbled something about saving him for this early start game today but he had the game off the day before, I doubt he’d be gassed for today’s game if he had to play only 3 more innings yesterday after getting Fri night off…….

9. willied said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

I think Bochy likes this lineup and the players in it the best. Other than shuffling in the Prez and Nate once in a while, til Rent gets back this is the “regulars”.

Poor Pablo. Didn’t see much of yesterday, but he did have a nice hit last AB…still swung at a bad pitch. I know he thinks he can hit everything, but he just makes things harder on himself. Realize he has the same number of RBIs as …Rowand, in 45 more ABs…and one less HR. That’s unbelievable to me. Sophomore jinx?

Rox, btw, dropped another one on the road to the DBax. Chacin now 3-4.

Chuck, outside of AGon, Diego offense is the shits, and will probably stay that way and just pitch around him. I give Black a lot of credit, but I think they finish 4th.

And Geren, with his great bullpen, is clueless, and cut the cojones off his pitcher. If I was Ziegler I’d demand a meeting with him, pronto. You don’t think I can get out mlb hitter, with no one on? You ask me to do that all the time with RISP….WTF?

10. San Dog said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:28 am

The whole Molina deal yesterday was a trip. I interpreted the batting 4th deal as a message of “we still believe in you as a run producer” message in hopes of getting the guy going. Then they pinch-hit for him with Scarecrow Downs in that situation—-which I agree sends more of a “we’re seriously considering DFA’ing your ass” message.
    I don’t know what the hell is going on. But if Rent is coming back soon and if there is a chance DeRosa may be back up before long, some drastic roster moves will need to be made.

11. Macdog said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

I thought Molina was taken out in a double switch with Bautista, since Molina had batted the previous inning. Downs then pinch-hit for Bautista. Whatever, Molina had to be a bit miffed at that move, whch by the end had Ishi as the clean-up hitter.

12. wswinb4igo said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:40 am

Molina was not PH for….he came out in a double switch when Well was replaced…

Molina was in the 4 spot because he entered the game batting over 400 against LHP…

13. Cal_Stim25 said, on June 6, 2010 at 9:54 am

They could have double switched Huff seeing as he made the last out of the inning. It easily couldve been Schierholtz coming in to RF for Huff, but it was Molina because his bat is frozen.

14. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:03 am

The fact that Molina was not pinch hit for was pointed out yesterday, a couple times. Don’t know why you’re ignoring that, Flavor…
    ” I understand vets have earned more leash but the bias is ridiculous and irresponsible.” You don’t understand or you wouldn’t say stupid shit like this…

15. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

It’s also because they have 3 catchers, 4 with Pablo. Some idiot on the Splash was bitching that the “genius Botchy” had used up all his back up catchers when Whitey entered. Two others were on the field, that kind of switch is what everybody has been praying for being able to do, Bochy does it, and the whole Bay Area goes Room B… they don’t get it…
    It’s turning into a GringoFuck world..

16. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

I prefer the Marshmallow World Dean Martin would sing about during Christmas time…

17. ferrethead said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

Go Giants!!!

I can hear Centerfield in the background; I dare you to hear that song and not smile 😉

18. willied said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:43 am

Nice shot, Pablo….solid AB.

19. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Burrell hit the cover off the ball yesterday, so of course Rohand is back in the LU today at the throwaway 8th. Nobody, nobody would miss Rohand more than a day or two if he got traded or just dumped. An OBP under .260? Ridiculous. 2 1/2 years is long enough — this guy is a horrendous bust. And I thought Posey stayed down to learn how to catch and call games? Now he’s here, basically playing first. Whiteside is playing way over his expectation, so why not trade Bengie and his punchless 44DDs before he proves untradeable, get Posey behind the dish? It’s too bad this team continues inito the Summer to be managed by contracts, not performance. As for Franchez, he looks to be a fragile dude, but as for playing when he’s in there, I want more “pussies” like this guy…

20. willied said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Nice rbi! Be patient vs. this fuckwad, the guy has slop and a high WHIP. SF got two BBs all last night, and Huff in the 9th scored on one. Paciencia, mijo.

21. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:49 am

Last two balls caught by the Bucs have saved a total of five runs.
    I think they’ve used their fill. Nice to give Tim the lead.

22. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:50 am

Flavor, send me an E-Mail on how we’re going to manage Room B.

23. ferrethead said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:57 am

Okay, I’m seriously hatin’ on this Walker dude!

24. wswinb4igo said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:59 am

snarkk….when Lincy pitches, it’s more about the “D” than the “O”…

25. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 10:59 am

Rohand should look at Posey’s approach to ABs. He could learn something…

26. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

I’m tired of the “D” arguments. Plus, Timmy’s been struggling lately. Give me some freekin hits and runs. That’s why Posey is up here and they’ve rolled the dice on Burrell…

27. alleykat said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:28 am

Nice aggressive base running by Torres, 2 steals,Panda Good AB for the Sac Fly.Yeah it would be good to see some extra discipline at the plate from Panda.And Rohand would be the next project.But it’s probably to late to fix his mess.

28. alleykat said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:36 am

Another stellar AB Rohand.

29. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:39 am

As I posted before Burrell came up, Rowand WILL lose starts to him. That AB alone could mean one game.,, Milledge is actually a terrible LFer, BTW. The Pablo ball should have been routine, he circled that one from Timmy, even last night’s he kinda dumbed into it…

30. stumillersgust said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:41 am

If LaRussa had filled out the Giants’ lineup card today, that run would have scored. Batting 8th in the NL is a hard job, Rowand isn’t up to the task.

31. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:46 am

Now we have fuckwads getting on Bochy for batting Rowand EIGHTH??!@!
    Get over to Room B, Stu.

32. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 11:59 am

Panda shoulda fucking cut his hair a month ago. Sometimes, it’s as simple as that. 😉

33. bigflavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

twin– you should be set up and good to go. Check your email.

34. bigflavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’m out for a few hours, I’ll check back and see if you figured it out later. Check under “pages” or something like that— you should be able to manage it from there……

35. JBat said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Worst slump of Lincecum’s career? He can’t beat anybody right now.

36. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, Bengielena in today for “D” with the Lincecum start — nice miss of that low fastball by Timmy into a passed ball. Bengie’s not too far from becoming a joke of a player offensively and defensively….

37. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm

He should be shot. No questions ask. Fucking asinine play by Panda. Jesus H. Christ.

38. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Panda’s hitting 3rd and bunting? WTF?…

39. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I nominate Pablo Sandoval to be Twin’s first “guest” in his Room B Dungeon.

Unmotherfuckingbelievable.

40. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I don’t blame him AT ALL.. Huff and Uribe have been the money RBI guys.

41. Big Flavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:49 pm

TWIN– what are the rules of entry/discharge into and out of Room B?

42. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Time for Molina to do something and show why he should get outta the doghouse for playing time. A dinger here would be nice…

43. delmardennis said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm

He’s our #3 hitter and he bunted (unsuccessfully) in the T7 of a tied ballgame and you don’t blame him AT ALL?

You’ve been hangin’ out with Bob Geren too much with that logic.

44. Cal_Stim25 said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Umm, yeah. Pablo should not have bunted there. Period.

He can score with one swing of the bat and change the whole game around. Bunting a ball 2 feet is a waste.

45. willied said, on June 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm

mmmmm….Nate must be in here to steal….what’s up?
    I know Lincecum spot is after Rowand so he can double switch in, but taking Posey out is kind of a funny move.

46. snarkk said, on June 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

WTF? Take Posey out for a PR in front of Rohand? Head scratch time…

47. bigflavor said, on June 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

new thread up with a rules question. Knock yourself out with trying to answer it, it’s stumped me for 24 hours…….

48. ferrethead said, on June 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Would that be a ‘seeing eye pop fly’?

49. ferrethead said, on June 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm