A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Rules Question

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 6, 2010

I’ve gotten in multiple arguments with certain people over the last 24 hours regarding this question. I’m certain one of you will know the answer or be able to find it in a rule book:

There’s no outs and a runner on third base. The batter hits a line drive to 2nd base which he catches. the base runner on third, instead of freezing, takes a few steps towards home plate. Seeing this, the 2nd baseman hurriedly throws the ball to third to try to double him up. But his throw is wild and goes half way up the line foul. The runner decides to try to score. Question: does he have to tag up first or can he just scamper home?

I won’t color the answers with my take on this. I talked to a buddy who played college ball and he wasn’t certain of the answer but he had an opinion. In fact, NO ONE I’ve talked to can say for certain what the runner on third has to do in this situation. Thoughts?

1. twinfan said, on June 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm

“Once Bochy figures out how to sweep away the cobwebs and come up with a fairly consistent batting order, this could be quite a team.” That would normally get you an overnight stay with Chuckles and PGF, Stix; but I’m remodeling the room so they get a better view of the fine dinner my guests will be enjoying this evening…. The *players* make the decision to go with a consistent batting order. Bochy wants it more than you do. It’s performance. When they have 8 guys who seperate themselves from the other 5,you’lll see that consistency in the order ( although when Rent is back there will be some fluidity by necessity…

2. Nipper said, on June 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Yeah Wilson is going to blow a few. It happens to the best closers and the public doesn’t understand. It never understands a blown save. They only understand the pain. Today Wilson was the one who needed saving and in doing so we all understand the word “teamwork” a bit better. Anyone on the roster can be called upon to shine and succeed and you never know when.

3. willied said, on June 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Mota and Casilla are fine, but just be careful how much you use them. Casilla stats last 2 years with Oakland are not pretty–the league hit .300 off the guy and he gave up 160 baserunners in just under 100 innings. ERA last year almost 6.00.

One (actually more than that) reason you can’t banish/trade Wilson is because there isn’t anyone to take over that spot on consistent basis. Remember all the guys here who thought Runzler could close given the chance? Affeldt? Romo? These guys are all having quite enough difficulty setting up right now…leave Wilson the job.

4. Craig said, on June 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Wilson is the guy. But for a lot of reasons I hammered the extension when it happened. Idiotic to ever give that to a young closer we already had control over anyways….

5. alleykat said, on June 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm

So did anyone hear what FP said earlier? He just said one of the most insulting things I think i have heard a broadcaster say:

“Freddy Sanchez showing the Pirates players,that if you play well you will eventually get to play for a good team.”

I mean it’s one thing for a fan to say an entire team sucks and they are looking for ways off the terrible team,but I do not think FP or other broadcasters should be insulting an entire team.

6. DaddyO said, on June 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Another Dodger walk-off. That’s a shame.

7. stixwiz said, on June 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Alley: Santangelo was waaaay off base on that one. Doesn’t matter if there is some element of truth to the statement. It is the sort of thing which can fire up an otherwise mediocre team and come back to haunt somebody.

8. Michael said, on June 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Well, we don’t play them again so who gives a fuck? I’d guess that that thought goes through McCutcheon’s head 24/7. Pittsburgh is one of the Room B franchises in baseball. They deserve all the scorn they get-the weasel owners just pocket the revenue $…

9. freshtodef80 said, on June 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I wish the Splash had a Room B, there are so many deserving applicants.

10. Unca Chuck said, on June 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Chuck’s comment was redirected to his home, Room B…

11. twinfan said, on June 6, 2010 at 7:31 pm

You are just in Room B for the night, Chuckles. I’m going to let you out in the morning.