A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Revisiting an Old Blog Post

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 2, 2010

I wrote this on June 17th.  Read the last sentence. That’s why I re-posted it today…..

“I liked Huff’s quote in the paper today:

“At this time of year, I’m used to being 20 games out,” Huff said. “I’ve never been a part of something like this.

“It’s an amazing experience. I used to be counting the days until vacation by now.”

I’m guessing Franchez is having a similar ride….

Huff’s re-birth has been one of the great sidebars of this season. He’s been like a left handed Ellis Burks lately. You know, when Barry, Kent, Alou, JT etc were on the team it was great because we were winning and who doesn’t like that? But it was never easy to like most of the players on those great teams just as *people*, you know?

This team is different. It’s EASY to like what we know about the fellas on this team. You can root for these players as “people”, not just players who play on your favorite team….

I’ll remember that when we go on a 6 game losing streak– it’ll make it a little easier to tolerate. :)

1. pickledgringo said, on July 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm

James – a big reason they are so low in OPS is due to who has been getting the bulk of the playing time (Molina, Rowand, etc, etc), which IS decided by the manager, among every other on field and tactical decision. You can share any numbers you like in whatever context you want to present them, they don’t mean shit. The only thing that matters is W-L record, being in 4th place, and being 6 games out with the best rotation in a division that should be theirs. Oh and yeah, they can’t fucking find a way to win in their own division.

2. Craig said, on July 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm

And gringo you’re a million miles off being right about so many thing right now. If I had the patience to keep typing on my iPhone I’d educate u but I have shit to do tonight so let’s catch up tomorrow. ‘night all

3. twinfan said, on July 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Look at Willie’s post. And you wonder why he stuck with Affeldt? That whole pen has been fucking up. Saying after the fact that Affeldt shouldn’t have been out for the 8th is BS. Before tonight he’d had 5 straight scoreless innings over 4 appearances.

4. delmardennis said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Seriously, what manager could win with teams that simply cannot score? Our offense has been a goddamn laughing stock four years running. Who assembled that horrendous 4-year group of crap? He needs to go.

5. delmardennis said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Correct me if I wrong, but isn’t Sabean the longest tenured GM at like 20 years running or some such? That statement alone in and of itself is a joke. And why was he retained again? I dunno. Maybe Flavor could put up a new poll regarding our current concerns.

6. delmardennis said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Sorry, I just realized how silly my last sentence must of sounded. “Put up a poll, that’ll get the team back on track.”

7. pickledgringo said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Seriously, what manager COULDN’T win with the pitching staff? And it’s been a 6 year piece of crap for the record, not 4. I’m okay with Sabean going if it means Bochy is gone as well. The Joker said it best…’this town needs an anema!’.

8. twinfan said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm

“And it’s been a 6 year piece of crap for the record” As much as you might like to, fuckwad, it’s pretty tough to blame Bochy for the years before he was here.

9. James said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Gringo, who were the alternatives for most of the season? Bochy does do some stupid shit like bench Torres for 2 straight games, but for the most part the team’s offense is what it is. Baseball tactics are irrelevant to a team’s overall performance.

Willied, they are not at 500 right now solely because of this losing streak — they lost more than a few well pitched games, even when things weren’t as grim. Until the staff’s collective numbers actually drop to the middle of the pack or below, blaming the pitching makes no sense.

Just for the heck of it: Franchez’s OPS is at 704 right now.

10. zumarust said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

If Blake DeWitt ends the season with a higher batting average than Franchez then….well, that stinks.

11. pickledgringo said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Alternatives? How about Decker to name one? I’d argue not many if any could be worse for this team at this time.

12. twinfan said, on July 2, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Gotta confess I don’t get the gaga over Freddy’s defense. He does that whirly gig shit on every fucking ground ball. He’s like a little terrier I used to have, Sammy would circle his food bowl real fast before he dug in. A lotta wasted motion. Freddy even runs like that dog did. Much ado to go nowhere…

13. delmardennis said, on July 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Yeah, might be some unnecessary motion, but I’m guessing just like Sammy the dog, he’s pretty damn reliable. 0 errors on 157 total chances coming into tonight. Freddy may wag his tail a bit funny, but the paper and slippers always get delivered.

14. James said, on July 2, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Gringo, I meant alternatives to Molina and Rowand. And I’ll be the first to say Posey’s numbers thus far are dishearteningly Franchez-like. 3 walks to go with that 300 avg. I just looked up Will Clark’s early BB totals as a point of comparison, and was reminded of his hilarious SB stats in 1987: he was 5 for 22. Ahh, Roger Craig, . . . what was I saying about tactics?

You could make a case that Bochy should have stuck with Bowker. The “starting” RFer got 88 PAs. He certainly held more promise than either Nate or Velez.

I have fond memories of a second baseman from the early part of the century, a fellow with “limited range.”

15. ferrethead said, on July 2, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Great, now I know who to blame for this unholy mess!!!

Sorry I haven’t been around, this has just been too painful for me. For me to turn off a game when we’re only one run out shows that I don’t have a whole lot of faith in the team right now. Oh well, tomorrow is another day…(sigh)

Bye, bye Bengie. I thought you were a really good Giant & I wish you all the best in Texas…

16. zumarust said, on July 3, 2010 at 12:39 am

Here’s a dancing boobie to cheer everyone up: