A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

And that’s why they play the game…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 6, 2010

Baseball is a trip. How the hell does a team come into a game totally and completely gassed and yet win fairly easily? And your starting pitcher gets the win with a WHIP of nearly 2.00 for the game? Of course, the guy who looked most gassed in Colorado, Huff, is easily the POTG. Yesterday’s game is a good example of why betting on baseball is d-u-m-b.  But what a great win….

I think Posey’s wrist is something we need to be more concerned about. They say it was nothing but I’ve dealt with wrist injuries my whole life. In fact, about 5 years ago I tore my right wrist lig playing in a softball game diving for a ball. I didn’t know the damage at the time. I ended up getting 2 more at bats in the game hitting a home run in my final at bat. Had a cast on for 6 weeks after that.  That was the first thing I thought of when I saw what Posey did yesterday. Obviously totally different situations but my point is that just because he hit a bomb after the “grimace” that doesn’t mean he’s all good. He may have irritated a different spot in the wrist. Oh well, I guess we’ll see how that shakes out…..

So I’m wondering if, on an Atlanta Braves blog, they did the same kind of all star game contest we did. Which dude had Omar Infante, lol? What a joke…..

1. twinfan said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

115 pitches and Bochy is letting him go for the CG shut out, I like it…

2. willied said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Nice swing from travis, and he cracked that one off wolf (the lefty) too that went off Week’s glove. If he hits anything like this at home, look out. I give him a ton of credit for hanging in there, making the most of his PHs, and shining when given an opp to get in the lineup.

3. Macdog said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Fer chrissakes!

4. alleykat said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Yeah well that didn’t happen Twin.Bochy won’t even give the kid his shining moment.Now Bautista will fuck up the shut out.

5. Sportdude said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm

stepped away. Listening to the game on internet. Romo up and down twice in the 8th. Bautista comes in??? I know the onus is on the player to get the job done, but that makes no sense..

6. zumarust said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm

It’s Giants baseball. It can’t ever be easy! (grin)

7. zumarust said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm

115 pitches was enough for the kid tonight. Bochy can’t be faulted for taking him out.

8. dirtnrocksnreno said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Nice Romo. Way to throw fucking strikes.

9. willied said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Back in the day, buddies of mine used to watch the Braves when they were really bad on TBS. Used to call this shit the “curse of the pitching coach”….Eric Davis would be up, two or three guys on, PC comes out to the mound to deliver his message, then BANG. And Skip Caray says, “and now the Braves trail 8-2…you have to throw strikes but you don’t want to put it there” yadda yadda

10. Sportdude said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Taking Bum out wasn’t the issue. Bring in Romo if you had him up twice in the game already. Note I made that comment before Romo came in and did well…

11. JBat said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Jesus, Bum really stepped tonight, and against a good hitting team in a hitters park. Way to go kid.

12. Macdog said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Hey, didn’t Sadowski shut out this team last year? 😉

What a great first W by MadBum, hopefully the start of many, many more.

13. wswinb4igo said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm

congrats…he got no rest in the top of 9th…he may have done it if he did…

14. JBat said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm

First win of the year for Madison.

15. Sportdude said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Congrats to Bumgarner

16. dirtnrocksnreno said, on July 6, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Call your wife? Dude, go bang some chicks!

17. Craig said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Lol, potd dirt. Dude I’m driving up to sun valley this weekend. Stopping in Reno for a night of poker. Hit me if u want to get a beer and watch the first few innings of the game

18. dirtnrocksnreno said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Flav, if you come up at the end of the month let me know. In-laws in town this weekend.

19. Craig said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Ok. I’m also playing in some of the ‘pot of gold’ tournies the weekend of the 23rd so we can hook up then

20. stixwiz said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Historical night for Bumgarner. He did prove to be the stopper for this Rotation. Very nice win, even though a chunk of it was due to bad defense on the part of the Brewskis. At 17-7, against that bunch, the Giants OWN the Central Division. Didn’t usta be that way not so long ago. Odd thing is that the record against the NLC is virtually the flipside of that against their intradivision rivals. They gotta turn that one around.

Gonna be tough for Bochy to sit Travis tomorrow. Wonder if Schulman can come with some good excuse if he does do that. Even without a hit, Torres drawing that 6th inning walk and then leading the double steal, contributes again. Posey drives in another run. More and more he’s reminding me of the younger version of Chipper Jones as a hitter. Both Georgia boys.

Denny Bautista sure was El Sloppo tonight. I’m wondering if it isn’t him that will hit that Fresno bus once this road trip is over. Hey! Guess what? Giants are 3-3 on the Trek that most of us thought would drive the spike into the coffin. Maybe Timmy will have the kinda pride which will goad him into not letting a fresh young kid show him up. Sure would be nice to see him with 9 wins going into the Break. Would make him look more like an A.S. The W. would also be nice. Six games out. Colorado is trailing St. L. But the LaBumbos are putting it to Florida. One game at a time, gang.

21. pickledgringo said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Ishi is pleasantly and surprisingly looking like a MLB hitter recently, and not like a deer in the headlights. The thing I hated about him is the tentative look and demeanor he always showed, as if always afraid of making a mistake and playing with zero confidence. He’s either hoping to be traded, or finally saying ‘fuck it and fuck you Bochy, I’ve had enough’.

The evidence continues to mount that Bochy fucks up young players unless given the ultimatum by Sabean (ala Posey). I’ve been Ishi’s worse critic but there seems to be some hope there he actually does have a chip on his shoulder…

22. Craig said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Ishikawa is a young player. He dominated at hone last year. He sucked on the road. The “deer in the headlight” shit is called youth. He might be taking advatage of a great opportunity right now, one that I’ve called for many times recently.

23. Craig said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Marty lurie is an idiot. He’s on chron live saying dirrrrrty pitched well yesterday. I guess Marty thinks a near 2.00 whip is pitching well. He called him the lh version of lincecum. It is absurd that this fool has a media job that reaches so many peopke

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 6, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Madisonian pitchocracy: gets my vote tonight.

25. twinfan said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Gringo: the shit you’ve posted was so far outta line on Ishikawa, there is no way you weasel out with that piece of shit post.

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Historic vs. historical? It would be pedantic of me to get frantic [think of this forced rhyming as bad Bob Dylan or less-than-mediocre rap]

27. James said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:25 pm

“Wait, I forgot. Madison doesn’t throw 98. Fuck him.” I think we need to credit Posey for his adroit handling of a fragile talent. Buster has a bright future — he may one day graduate to become someone’s personal catcher.

28. Macdog said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Rockies score 9 in the 9th to win 12-9.

29. pickledgringo said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I said Ishi did not appear to be a MLB hitter, and further, it made no sense to waste a roster spot on a defensive-only 1st baseman. This team still needs a real first baseman but thought I’d give him his props for actually looking like a hitter for the last few games. Will he keep it up? Track record says not even remotely but he looks different than he has ever had (personal opinion only of course) and a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

For those panning a possible trade with the Brewers regardless of who would go….whatever. Braun, Fielder, and Hart are all better hitters than anyone we have on the team right now not named Posey or Huff. If they could get Braun or Fielder for Sanchez and a couple high rated prospects, you do it in a heartbeat. Hart for Dirrty? Absolutely

30. James said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm

BF, I don’t really know who Marty Lurie is, but I’d consider his over the top praise for Sanchez as an antidote to Kruk’s relentless criticisms. Dirrrty does have a better WHIP than Lincecum so far this season and currently has the second best ERA of the starters.

31. delmardennis said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Rocks score 9, that’s NINE in the B9 to beat the Cards. LaRussa better not get behind the wheel tonight.
    Unbelievable.

32. James said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:44 pm

“Hart for Dirrty? Absolutely” Man, I’m not usually one for personal invective, but you are a fucking retard, dude.

33. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:47 pm

9 in the bottom of the 9th is simply unfair, like some kind of cosmic aberrational steroid asteroid voodoo

34. twinfan said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:48 pm

“I said Ishi did not appear to be a MLB hitter” That is not what you said, you lying fuckshit.
    “Hart for Dirrty? Absolutely” With Zito pitching as he has the last month, they’d be fucking nuts to trade Sanchez for Hart straight up. Sosa just got bombed, then suspended and now is back in relief so they have only Wellefuck or Martinez to replace Sanchez. Absolutey NOT.
    James, to expand on your comments: 7-6 3.15 1.27 WHIP for Dirty. And he’s the FOUR. All Lurie said was he “pitched well”. One game is not a WHIP contest. He held ’em to one run. It’s the kind of outing that Favor has wet his pants over if Zits threw it.

35. twinfan said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:50 pm

“9 in the bottom of the 9th”.. and Rowand and Renteria had nothing to do with the collapse.

36. Sportdude said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Giants have to go 48 – 31 rest of the way for 91 wins to win wild card. That would give them slim margin. That is a .607 pace for half a season, a feat only the Yankees were able to do in the 1st half. Actually we are 2 games into the .617 we need after being 41-40. I am always an optimist, but that math is tough.

ONLY chance we have is for our star players to pick it up, and that means Pablo has to turn back into the Panda. If he is hitting like last year he would have around 95-100 runs / rbi’s at this point, instead of the measly 75 now. 20-25 runs in half a season is around 4-5 more wins I’m guessing. It isn’t reasonable to expect more out of Torres / Huff / Uribe than we have.

Lets hope the Giants obsession with pitch selection and losing weight didn’t mess him up for good…

37. delmardennis said, on July 6, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Don’t be too sure, they probably had the game on in their hotel room and jinxed it.
    Renteria saw a total of 8, that’s EIGHT pitches in his four at-bats tonight. The plane for D.C. doesn’t leave for another day. Someone should tell him that.

38. willied said, on July 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm

James, Sanchez did hold down the brewers until SF scored (with a lot of help from shoddy D), exactly what the team asks of the starter…unlike what he gave them in toronto or in LA finale at home. I think that is what drives fans crazy—the league does not hit him very well at all, and if he could hold down the dreaded pitch count he would have complete game Ws, which to me should be every starter’s goal. But when you walk 6, it isn’t going to happen, the D is standing around a lot and you are always in the stretch.

Your post from yesterday mentioned how tough it is to watch opposing batters take so many pitches against him….so what would be your solution? I liked best what he did to McG, who could not handle fastball either away or in.

39. twinfan said, on July 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm

“Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News says (via Twitter) that the Brewers will only deal Hart this week if a team overpays. The Giants, who don’t seem entirely convinced that Hart would have as much success in their ballpark, probably aren’t going to do that. Schulman, meanwhile, tweets that it would likely take “Sanchez-plus” to pry Hart from the Brew Crew.”
    Obviously, they are paying attention to splits now. Of Hart’s 86 career HRs, 50 are straight away or opposite field. That will not “fly” here. He’d help them, make no mistake, but he’s just not worth Sanchez, let alone “Sanchez PLUS”.

40. James said, on July 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm

willied, For all of the concern over his inability to go deep into a game, Sanchez has pitched 10 fewer innings than Lincecum or Zito. I think the relative lack of command combined with his excellent stuff dictate a strategy of waiting Sanchez out. Swing throughs, fouls, close pitches taken for balls drive up the pitch count. In part, my frustration in watching Sanchez lies with the Giants’ unwillingness to employ said strategy against opposing pitchers.

Sanchez has made slow steady progress for the Giants. Some just take more time to refine their skills through repetition. I’m 50, and can shoot free throws better now than when I was 25. The window for a professional is of course much narrower. Fortunately, Sanchez is only 27. Anyway, that’s my stupid ass theory.

41. James said, on July 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Hart is another Rowand.

42. twinfan said, on July 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Splits were similar, James. Rowand then screwed himself up even more by trying to change his tendencies. Last year he became an almost exclusive pull hitter after a career going to all fields. Hence those grounders to the left side that drive grown men to codeine syrup.

43. James said, on July 6, 2010 at 11:00 pm

BTW, I may as well comment on your Reggie Jackson/Bob Gibson post. Apart from the generational conservatism of their remarks, it’s interesting to (what else) look at the numbers. Jackson finished with a career 262 BA and 356 OBP. He averaged 79 BBs per 162 games. While not exactly another Ted Williams, Reggie took more than his share of walks. In fact, his greatest year by far was 1969, when he walked 114 times. Selectively looking for pitches early in the count and a patient approach are not mutually exclusive.

• willied said, on July 7, 2010 at 8:01 am

Defintely true….it’s hard for me to watch guys take that first strike when it turns out to be the best pitch they see in an AB. It’s like they screw themselves up with one stupid move. Gibson’s point was that being ahead in the count was important advantage for the pitcher; Reggie admits to changing his approach with two strikes as opposed to looking for a certain pitch (away from him) earlier.

Interesting to me that Sanchez is basically walking the same amount of guys he always has, but that his WHIP has improved last two years significantly. Throwing less hittable strikes? Better command of the corners, or certain pitches to LH/RH? Getting ahead?Confidence and mental strength/concentration?

44. delmardennis said, on July 6, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Aaron “Purple Dank” Rowand. Sounds about right.

45. zumarust said, on July 7, 2010 at 12:25 am

It’s got to fry Sabean that he has a shortstop crisis. All Renteria had to do was be mediocre and that would hold the fort. But he can’t even perform at a mediocre level anymore. And now Uribe is showing wear and tear. It’s unreal. This ship is always springing leaks it seems like. But that’s the risk of older players. They’re more susceptible to injuries.

46. zumarust said, on July 7, 2010 at 12:28 am

If Renteria can’t function, then he has to be released. He has little value as a bench player. His roster spot is too valuable.