A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Another Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 24, 2010

We’re doing what we need to against this team. I hit the sack early so I missed the end. Today, we get to enjoy the beginning of Bumgarner’s Farewell Tour. I’m out the door, I’ll catch up with you guys later…..

Welcome back, Mr. Loo. Your rightful spot at POTD has been warmed by many but filled by no one…. 🙂

1. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2010 at 7:29 am

Welcome back DJLoo . . . What do ya say? What do ya hear?

2. Giant Head said, on July 24, 2010 at 8:17 am

Breaks are going our way. Let’s get another and for you bastards back home it was 94 at 10:30 am. Heat Index heading to 110 temp at 103.

• vrrbrcrrr said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:10 am

Sounds like where I’m at!! ~ H O T ~ and it ain’t a dry heat!

3. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 8:58 am

That’s nothing, GH. My Heat Index reached at least 150 last night when Romo batted. Thankfully for one and all, a cold front moved in and I’m now sitting at a comfortable 99. Next high pressure system should move its way in tonight around the 8th inning when Mota bats tonight.

4. dirtnrocksnreno said, on July 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

Much like the GOP, Sabean says one thing and means the complete opposite. Not moving a starting pitcher…Looking for a left handed bat…Maybe a left for the pen. I guess we can expect a trade for Oswalt to go down or a move for a light hitting shortstop.

If the rumors are true and DeJesus was to be acquired for a couple of prospect then that would have been fine. I don’t like to see players get injured but Hart and DeJesus getting dinged up is good news to me.

5. stixwiz said, on July 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

After Sanchez’ stretched-out 5 innings last night and Affeldt getting a whatzit owwie, any plans of holding Bumgarner to a short-stint tonight may be in abeyance. DeJ. would have been alright by me, Dirt, but agreed on Hart.

Nice to see Huff and Torres come through again last night so no Buster was no huge deal. Giants need to keep making hay in Aridzona while the Pads get to play the Pirates. Couple huge road-trips come up next month: First is early on to the Box of Rox and then four in Hotlanta. A road split might be the best we could hope for on that one. Later on, there’s one going to St. Louis and Philadelphia.

6. alleykat said, on July 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

Just amazing stuff Aubrey Huff has accomplished for the Giants this year.(based on qualifying AB’s) Huff leads the team with a .305 Avg 19 HR’s 103 Hits 47 BB’s .550 SLG 942 OPS 2nd in triple 3 and 2nd in SB 5.Sabean sure hit the pot of gold with Huff.

My guess is the pride of Danville Nate Scheirholtz will be moved at the deadline.Probably just for that LH relief pitcher,either Will Ohman, Scott Downs ,or maybe Sean Marshall.

• wswinb4igo said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:23 am

that would be sweet…but nate couldn’t fetch a bone.

7. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 9:40 am

My POTD was plagiarized from a Son of Sam letter. Are there no standards here anymore?
    How do you add your picture on this thing?

Hi Flav & Alleykat & Blade and everyone else. Hugs to all! (giggle)

• TedSpe said, on July 24, 2010 at 9:54 am

Fuck Loo! A soph parody for your comeback is somewhat…disappointing. Man Up MOFO!!!!
      Welcome back

8. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 9:54 am

Loo, might need to get an account with WordPress for the picture. And you know goddamn well there weren’t any standards here to begin with.

9. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 10:01 am

Disappointing is my middle name, Ted.

10. Nipper said, on July 24, 2010 at 10:42 am

Huff sure is a nice addition to this team. Torres is a great surprise. Of course Sabean is behind all these moves.

11. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 10:50 am

Way past due for Freddy to get a blow, and frankly he should be close to Rowand-like playing time soon. And BTW, one of the dimmer bulbs here once tried to “get” me because I, too, was supposedly LU bashing because my LU was different from Bochy’s LU… no, I make suggestions but understand that the REAL manager actually knows his guys better than I do. He’s privy to information, some of which he may not share with the media. He sees the guys, he doesn’t just read the splits. And you know what-these guys are young males, they go out, they sometimes drink too much. He just MAY sit a fuck because he showed up looking like you do every Sunday morning…
    Anyway, Freddy can use a sit-maybe for the weekend. Give Eugenio one of the starts and bat him in the 2….

12. ferrethead said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:11 am

I don’t know if any of you listen to FP after the games on KNBR, but he said something that struck me as especially stupid (it is FP, after all). He was saying that it was dumb of the Giants to cut MadBum off, since he’d never thrown 200 innings before, and if he wasn’t ready at such a young age when would he be, etc. Then, towards the end of the show, someone called and complained about them resting Buster, and FP said that it was smart because Buster hadn’t played a whole 162 game season before and you needed to pace him before you burned him out.

Now, if this was over the course of a couple of nights or whatever, it probably wouldn’t have stuck in my craw quite so much, but within the same freakin’ show?!?!? So, Flappers, set me straight – are these really two completely different things, or – as I strongly suspect – does Frank Paul just have his head up is ass?

Nice to see you, DJLoo!!! You had these guys really worried. (Not me of course. I couldn’t really give a rat’s ass…lol!)

• wswinb4igo said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:27 am

The difference is…Posey can drain mentally, tons more responsibility) as well as physically…Bum is just physical.

13. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:16 am

How far into your craw is it stuck?

• ferrethead said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:22 am

Why? Do you have some useful item that might be used to dislodge it? (Oops! That sounded kinda dirty…giggle!) (Apologies to TedSpe for the ‘giggle’ – I couldn’t resist)

Well, far enough that I still have enough energy to write up a mini-rant about it the following morning. Usually with FP it’s in one ear and out the other. I guess I should give him props for being able to do a radio show with his head wedged so firmly…

14. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:26 am

Well, how are you, FH? Did you ever move into your new home? And I apologiize for my stupid & unfunny comment a few minutes ago. Does anybody moderate this thing?

• ferrethead said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

Wow, I guess that makes me stupid & unfunny, too – ‘cuz I laughed!

I’m great – finally bought a condo in January. It was a total pit & $15k later, it’s a palace fit for a ferret – and her two cats.

• DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:40 am

I’m glad that worked out. You might be too nice for this place (Earth).

15. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:31 am

The people who bash the pitch count thing are idiots, pure and simple. Look, here’s the deal: it’s like bashing the “earth is round”. It’s accepted science, boys. It would be an issue worth discussing if it was a “Botchy thing”, but based on how he handles his staff, you can bet he hates the reliance on it more than you do. I’m not going to do your research for you, but PAP ( pitcher abuse points) has been studied, parsed, restudied: for pitchers under 25, it holds up. If you’re the manager and you have one of the 2 or 3 top SP prospects under control for six years and you DON’T protect him, you should not have your job.

• ferrethead said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:34 am

You tell ’em, Twinnie!!!!

16. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 11:38 am

Pitchers used to get “sore arms” and just flame out. Guys like Jim Maloney, Steve Barber were washed up at 30.

17. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:07 pm

With the natural evolution of man (bigger, faster, stronger) and the advances of modern health, medicine and science (diet, conditioning, etc.) pitchers *should* be capable of throwing more pitches. Clearly a big reason they don’t is chiefly societal. Or as I am apt to say, pussification. Pitchers don’t throw enough in the minors for reasons previously noted (protect investment, early call-ups, bullpen specialization, etc.) so there’s no built in arm strength. It’d be like asking a horse to break its maiden going a mile and an eighth off of two four furlong works, not going to fly. If we want pitchers to be capable of logging more innings, they need to throw more, not less.

18. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, we always hear about 3 or 4 workhorses from the 50’s and 60’s and nothing of the hundreds of guys who wore out by the time they had their 5th shave. Many of the relief pitchers were just starters who couldn’t break a window pane with their fast ball anymore. And of course, a LOT of those innings eaters also SUCKED…
    Dennis’ modern science has not changed how our bodies are structured. A human arm is not designed to throw baseballs thousands of times. Never was, isn’t now. It is minds that are pussified by reading bullshit as above.

19. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Forgot to add that baseball isn’t getting the % of the best athletes as it once did. More potential players have gravitated to the other major sports. Not to mention all the other “sports” that keep popping up on a regular basis. I’m sure there’s countless of inning throwers out there riding a dirt bike or skateboard that won’t ever pick up a baseball.

20. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm

You can contact Dennis at http://www.theearthisflat.com

• delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:42 pm

“You’re a regular riot, Alice.” I’ll take two.

21. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm

That’s if the kids today even leave the house. Modern technology, the best babysitter known to mankind.

22. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Gee, who knew that was a weight loss website? Well, PGF can use it, I’m sure.

23. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Every bar has one 90-year old chain smoking drunk whose never been sick a day in his life. He’s the exception.

• TedSpe said, on July 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Why you be profiling me?

24. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Actually, that guy is really 36, Loo…

25. stixwiz said, on July 24, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Left-handed reliever. MLB experienced. Two tours, as per my memory glands. Started out in The Show pretty decently and then apparently the hitters caught onto him somewhat. Been toiling in AAA this year and almost all of the last. Currently sporting a 2.58 ERA with nice BB-K ratio. Just under one hit per IP. Look no further: Geno Espineli, currently at Fresno. Though Steve Edlefsen boasts a lower ERA by a good margin, his BB-K ratio is only middling-fair and he’s right-handed. Geno has paid his dues. He may be ready.

26. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 1:10 pm

90 is the new 36 as they say.

“40 is the new 30.” Ever a crock of shit if I heard.

27. TedSpe said, on July 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Dead is the new 87

28. stixwiz said, on July 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

More notes from the farm: At Richmond, Brandon Belt currently has an OPS in the range of 1.125 in some 70 ABs, Again, the numbers are similar to Panda’s in AA a couple years back. We may well see this kid by September. Brett Pill is having a decent season at Fresno, but Belt is a first baseman with a huge upside, almost certainly a comer.

Down at San Jose in the Cali League, a couple position players are having standout seasons. Speedster outfielder Francisco Peguero is now definitely overshadowing his counterpart at Richmond, Darren Ford. With 36 SBs to 13 CS, he appears to have that knack. He also has no fewer than 14 TRIPLES, so it would appear that this kid is made in heaven for the broad stretches at China Basin. His OBP is quite acceptable for a leadoff man at .349 and his SP is a delightful surprise at .484.

The other guy tearing it up at SJ is also endangering the status of Fresno second baseman Brock Bond (who has a good batting-eye and very nice OBP) on the Organizational depth chart. Charlie Culberson currently has 26 doubles, four triples and fourteen taters ~ not bad at all for a middle-infielder. His runs scored and batted-in even out perfectly at 61 each. He has a good touch of speed and some smarts on the basepaths as his SB-CS ratio is 18-5. Very nice. Also nice are his OBP and SP figures at .373 and .536 respectably. Freddie Sanchez has another year on his contract. The timing looks just about right.

29. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Torres RF, Renteria SS, Huff 1B, Posey C, Uribe 2B, Burrell LF, Sandoval 3B, Rowand CF, Bumgarner P

• TedSpe said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm

ROWAND??!! ROWAND??!!

30. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm

You know, I kinda miss Bengie on a day like this- a chance at the LU Doomer Trifecta…

• TedSpe said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Oops. Sorry. Forgot.
      RENTERIA??!! RENTERIA??!!

31. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Ted.You’ve no idea how badly I wanted to post this LU and stand back:
    Torres RF, Renteria SS, Huff 1B, Molina C, Uribe 2B, Burrell LF, Sandoval 3B, Rowand CF, Bumgarner P

32. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Ted: that’s Raghand and Rentardia…

33. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Wellemeyer on the hill, of course.

34. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:19 pm

“The Todd” is going tonight for the Grizzlies. I hope he gets shelled and sent to Room B.
    Force the brass to go with Plan B. What’s Plan B? As long as it isn’t “The Todd,” I don’t care.

35. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Funny how both he and Bumgarner are pitching on the same night. Could see his sorry ass as early as next Thursday vs the Fish. I’ll set my clock.

36. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Check out some of those lineups from 2008 and you’ll never complain again.

• zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Ha! I did that recently, going through some old scorecards from ballgames I went to. I had one from 2008 that had Ortmeier at firstbase and Bocock at shortstop. Did the Giants win that game? Do you have to ask?

37. zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Jeepers, Dennis, didn’t you read the article last year in SI that had Timmy on the cover? They covered this topic in detail. Sure, pitchers can have stronger muscles and be more fit and more athletic all that these days; but they are still limited by TENDONS and LIGAMENTS that are not evolving at the same rate.

38. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm

15 minutes to Rachel, Denny. No TV here.

• delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm

About to load the gate now, Loo. She’s 1/9. Huge – show pool.

39. Unca Chuck said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

No Ray Ray, Mike?

I’m disappoited.

40. zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Would we take Ray over Franchez right now? I think just maybe I would.

41. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Some guy named Ivan Ochoa played 40+ games at SS & 2B in 2008. I have ZERO recollection of him.

42. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Ho-hum 3 1/2 length win for Rachel. The field was highly suspect to say the least. Queen Martha ran a credible race to finish second though. Looking forward to the Eddie Read coming up a bit later at Del Mar. I like Loup Breton (IRE) to rebound. I’d say to “Book it!,” but I think Ivan Ochoa has a better average than I do.

• DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Slow time. Just not the same horse.

43. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Hot off the press from Baggarly: Jeremy Affeldt to DL with slight tear in left oblique. Joe Martinez en route, will arrive during game.

We need another arm or two now.

44. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Preferably a portsider.

45. DJLoo said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Here’s an idea you’ll like, Denny… Why not insert Todd into the rotation and let Bum fill the lefty void in the pen?

• delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm

You beat me outta the gate, Loo. I must have broke in a tangle again. To use a new Flap favorite, “why not, it can’t fucking hurt.”

46. max808 said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Baltimore just increased their demand for Ohman.

47. San Dog said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm

What’s going on with Hinshaw these days? Is he in the mix to come up and help the pen? He’s a lefty, and at times, he has impressed the hell out of me.
    (Plus he’s an SDSU Aztec, which never hurts)

48. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Well, if they insist on limiting Madison’s innings and force Wellemeyer upon us, stick Bum in the pen.

49. stixwiz said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm

After Casilla’s performance last night, he gets maybe one more shot and then i think they should bring up Geno Espineli. Cited his bona fides if you care to scroll back.

50. stixwiz said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm

San: When it comes to Fresno lefties Espineli has it all over Hinshaw. Compare the stats.

51. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm

More from Baggs: As of this afternoon, Giants were not close to deal for LHP. Affeldt said 15 days is a hope, but not a realistic one. My guess: 3-4 weeks.

52. alleykat said, on July 24, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Hinshaw’s been just to wild pitching for the Grizzlies San Dog….27 walks in 40 innings not gonna cut it.Maybe the way he wears his cap throws him off kilter.We have enough problem now with the BP walking guys,no need to add more gas to the fire.

53. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 4:11 pm

LH or RH is far less important than strike thrower, that’s why Joe is on the way. Espinelli was less than adequate up here before and he was coming off a better year in AAA then.

• TedSpe said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Actually, that’s true. Better an all around good pitcher then a token “loogy”

54. zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I’m watching the San Diego/Pittsburgh game, and they’re interviewing a Pirates player in the dugout during the game. If I was the manager of the Pirates, I wouldn’t allow it. The Pirates suck, and there shouldn’t be any interviews during the game until they stop sucking.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:04 pm

agreed; I’m not crazy about the moves their manager Russell makes

55. zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

How hurting are the Angels these days? They started Fransden at firstbase the other night.

56. zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I thought Dennis took the Affeldt injury quite well. I was expecting another freak-out. (grin)

57. James said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I suspect that there’s a fine line between “attacking the strike zone” and “making mistakes out over the middle of the plate.”

58. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Yeah, the unemployment line. [rim shot]

59. James said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Kennedy is attacking the backstop.

60. stixwiz said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Rental Agent and Huff the Magic Dragon combine for one and Posey just added to his streak. Not a bad way to start the game.

61. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Looks like we’ll be minus a Panda for a few days.

Bruce Bochy mentioned on KNBR pregame that Pablo Sandoval will leave the club after the game. Maybe bereavement?

62. zumarust said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm

It’s frickin’ funny how K&K break down Pablo’s hitting problems, on video, and they NEVER do that to Rowand. Ever. Rowand’s been pounding the ball to the thirdbaseman for two years, and not a peep from K&K.

63. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 5:56 pm

What a Cf Rowand is playing. Bummer, huh?

64. max808 said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Give Renteria and Rowand credit. They aren’t crying about their reduced role and come ready to play.

65. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:06 pm

does anyone seriously ever hear anything about Mark DeRosa? Mark DeRosa. Remember him?

66. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:07 pm

welcome back, sweet Loo

67. twinfan said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Can I suggest a moratorium on critical comment until we know about Velez? This doesn’t look very good.

68. delmardennis said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I hope Velez is OK. Sure didn’t look too good. Our poor guys are dropping like flies.

69. wswinb4igo said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Baggs tweets…

Think a good thought for Velez, everyone. 2 minutes ago
    Velez got hit by Pat Burrell’s line drive and is still down, being attended to. Other players pointing to their temples while discussing it. 3 minutes ago
    Eugenio Velez is the injured Giant.

70. ferrethead said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I sure hope Eugenio is okay! Damn, that’s some scary shit!!!

71. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

what happened? Velez is my boy

72. alleykat said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Thoughts and prayers for Eugenio!

73. max808 said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Wow, update please. No TV here.

74. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm