A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Going for the Sweep……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 25, 2010

Yesterday was one of the few games I’ve missed this year. I picked the POTG just off the box score– probably got it wrong. We’ve got some nice separation from 3rd place in the West and are even atop the Wild Card Standings…..

It’s a tired subject, but what’s everyone think  we need right now? A bat? A reliever? A SP? I’ll throw a poll up there. Loo, have you made it through the archives yet? 🙂

1. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I’m sorry, but this is not the right call. As well as Timmy pitched in the 7th, 2-2 game in the T8 calls for a PH. This once again shows Bochy’s lack of faith in our pen. I know we’re hurting down there, but that’s no excuse. Rowand or someone else needed to hit. I’ll say it again for the umpteenth time, we need another arm.

2. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I was holding back my anger, but lead off double isn’t helping matters.

We need another arm.

3. Sportdude said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Un believable. Just as I was warming to Boch her turns back into a moron. How can anyone think this is the right move????

4. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Rox lose!

5. JBat said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Timmy doesn’t look like the same pitcher he was, at least not right now.

6. zumarust said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Oh yeah!!!!

7. wswinb4igo said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm

fuck yea

8. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Well, at least Timmy held up his end.

9. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Some Houdini act there. That still doesn’t make it right, though. Timmy should have been pinch hit for.

10. Sportdude said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Cool…

11. stixwiz said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm

There’s a reason why Timmy won consecutive Cy’s ~ hair and all. There was also reasoning behind Bochy letting him go for the 8th. Whew!

12. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Oh Hell yes!!! What a time for the DP!!! I was shocked Upton didn’t steal 2nd with no outs.I doub’t they would have thrown threw.But hey it’s all GOOD!!!

13. Sportdude said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Just checked Dodger box. Mets had 7 hits including 3 doubles, and still got shut out.

14. willied said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Dude, it was the right move all along. Tim just had a great fast inning….and after the blip, he just had another. Gibson must wonder WTF he got himself into. Bautista can go back and sit down, and SF bats can try and win this.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

It was not the right move. Tie game, T8 on the road, you go for the lead and have the pen finish the 8th and 9th.

Wee need another arm.

15. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

This is the Arizona bullpen we’re talking about. They give up runs on accident. Somebody needs to run into one.

16. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

What I’d really like to know, is why Bochy called back Rowand. His first instinct was the right one.

17. stixwiz said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Batters look a bit burned out from the road today. Should have slammed the soft bullpen.

18. willied said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Besides Wilson, who is it you trust out there in such a situation?

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm

That’s the problem, Bochy has no trust. We need another arm.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm

So the other night Bochy allows Romo to hit because JA got hurt and he didn’t have faith in anyone else. Today, he allows Timmy to hit because he didn’t want to use Romo in the 8th. One day it’s Romo is my best option, the next; I don’t want to see Romo. I see a problem with that.

19. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Fucking Romo. We need another arm, preferably one with a brain. Son of a bitch.

• willied said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm

A reliable one, agreed. Just awfully tough to find. But I don’t blame Bochy for holding out as long as he could to use the pen he has.

20. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Fuck Romo get in the game!

21. wswinb4igo said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm

oh my…

22. willied said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm

These are the DBax hitters too….we all know what they lead the world in.

23. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Brain fart and all, nice job Sergio. Now let’s score some runs in the 10th!

24. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm

That was some well awarded Torture geez.

25. stixwiz said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Time to take a Bromo after Romo.

26. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Houdini, Part II.

27. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm

That kid is amazing.

28. stixwiz said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Buster! But how the hell can a rookie catcher, called up games into the season possibly win the MVP?

29. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

God delivers again!

30. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

This run better get in now.

31. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I never thought I’d see Bochy PR Whitey for Buster again. I stand corrected. He damn well better score.

32. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Henry just tweeted:

33. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:14 pm

1. Hair. I’m with Stix. Had too many arguments about it with my father in the Sixties. for that reason alone, i had to go for the A’s against the Reds in 1972. 2. why on earth bat Lincy? I’m with Dennis on that. Why? in a 2-2 game. Baffling. 3. Why have el presidente pinch run? Posey can run, and you’ve taken out your best bat if the game goes longer. Plus, you’ve burned through a bench player. Why? 4. Posey! 5. I wish I were gogiants11 or whatever at the Splash, just to show Twin I honestly don’t hate on him (I’m Don_Taussig_1958). 6. I want this W. Bad.

34. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm

IBB Nate to get to Ishi? Muchas gracias, Kirk.

35. wswinb4igo said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Ishi!!!!!

36. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I’m addressing my envelope now…

Ishi saves Bochy.

37. stixwiz said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Nate: Tradem. Ishi: Keeper.

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

‘Kawa bunga!

39. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Wow Ishi just bailed out this inning. Great job!

40. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

“Ishi saves Bochy.” And Schierdoltz.

41. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Just because (because of prior experience [but all experience is prior, Pawlie! yes, I’m an editor; I know]), I’m preparing my loins and dendrites for a HAIRy bottom of the ninth.

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm

well, I’m so smart I just tuned in to justin.tv — now I can get nervous visually and aurally

43. twinfan said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Bochy? It’s all on Nate, throw bounces and he’s still out by three feet? Horrid jump.
    Why the fuck woul;d you hate me, Pawlie? That’s fucking weird. Only morons hate me.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Ishi saved Bochy for PRing Whitey for Buster…again! Nate is a Dumbshit But if Whitey doesn’t score….

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

we can wear the orange-billed hats on Sundays? I thought it was freaky Fridays?

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Twin, we’re all good. I was just trying to persist in pointing out that i was not out to ban you (cf. earlier this week). But my wife and kids do think i’m a moron sometimes. even i concur at times.

46. wswinb4igo said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Congrats…OUTSTANDING roady

47. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

How do spell victory? W-i-N.

48. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:26 pm

SWEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I’m almost at the point I do not want to see a trade we’re playing so well.

50. stixwiz said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

BROOMHILDA RIDES AGAIN

51. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeep! Good start by our mane man and a close shave in all, but they got ‘er done. Bring on the Fish!

52. twinfan said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm

And Buster IS slow, I have shown some numbers, he’s considerably slower than Ishikawa even.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I don’t care that he IS slow, you don’t do that again, but he did.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm

is he? I don’t see enough games. I figured ’cause he was young and skinny he had to be fast. I was. But I couldn’t catch or hit. Just run and throw.

53. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:29 pm

POTG: Whitey. After all, he did score the winning run. Start him tomorrow Boch.

54. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Now I hope the Cubs grizzle the Cards. I’m out guys. Gonna walk Maggie and then do some work and then watch “Mad Men” — and drool over Joan, the redhead. Have a grand evening, comrades in arms. One final note — and someone has stats on this, I’m sure — the Giants for the last 20-30 years have a pretty darn good record on Sundays, who knows why. Go, tell it on the mountain.

55. wswinb4igo said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:38 pm

twin…if they did that to you on the splash, stay away a few days. Bet the posts are few and far between…

56. mrmrbill said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Guess Schulman wasn’t pleased w/ that Posey/Whiteside switch, tweets: “Whiteside pinch-running for Posey. Send letters to Bruce Bochy c/o SF Giants, 24 Willie Mays PLaza, SF, CA 94107”

• mrmrbill said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

ah… guess I’m late on that. Sry.

57. twinfan said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Sorry, but he knows more than you do, Dennis. And waaaaaay more than FuckPaul Santangelo.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Yes he does, but that still doesn’t make it right. No way Timmy should have hit there in the 8th and you know it.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm

So if Bochy would have stuck with his first inclination and batted Rowand, that would have been right too, I suppose. Heads Bochy wins, tails I lose. Can’t beat the house.

• willied said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:32 pm

One out I might have done it, dennis. Two, no The odds of Rowand getting a two out RISP hit aren’t very good, imo. I’d rather leave Tim in and let top of the order get it done next inning.

And the other part is who you bring in…frreaking Bautista was warming up. AZ would have loved to have gotten Tim out the game, they hadn’t done shit. Not until he’s gassed, imo.

58. zumarust said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm

We have to have the daily Dennis freak-out. Goes without saying.

59. snarkk said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Fine roadie. They’ve got some good karma going. Ishi bailed Bonehead out of another Whitey for Posey PR debacle potential, and the idiotic steal attempt by Nate. If Sholtz stole on his own, he should be put on a fire anthill clothed in honey. If Bonehead called the steal, Ishi should start for a month straight for saving his bacon. I still think they need another OFer before the deadline…

60. zumarust said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Yes, F.P., we know you’re a former player, you don’t have to remind us every 10 seconds.

61. delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Buster’s July: 38-for-81 for a .469 Batting Avg.

Better send in Whitey to run for him.

62. twinfan said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:03 pm

They’re 15-3 behind Bonehead’s mismanagement. You fuckbraiins pretending you wanted “Raghand” to hit is a motherfucking joke. Sit down and stay in the seat until I release you.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I never pretended to want “Raghand” to hit, that was Bochy’s first choice, not mine. Why Bochy reconsidered, I don’t know.

63. snarkk said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Bochy was right to hit Timmy in the 8th. No problem with it here. Timmy just had snapped off his best breaking balls of the game of the 7th, he had an inning left for sure, vs. bringing in a couple of shaky Pen arms. And Timmy had just as good a chance at a hit as Rohand (Kuip said he was 1-11 as PH for the year), and you gotta keep some bench players around in case of extras. Anybody that thinks Rohand had a good shot at a Phit w/RBI there is smoking crack. Clear also that Bochy rightly has little onfidence in Rohand gettin’ it done in the clutch….

64. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm

why couldn’t Rohlinger PH? anyway, I really don’t care. We won; that’s all that matters. And I didn’t walk the dog; my wife did semicolon I was so generous in letting her get the exercise semicolon and never said, “It’ll be good for you, hon” what I saint I am.

65. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

We’re 15-21 in the NL West. Getting better, but just imagine if we didn’t sweep. It goes without saying our record in the division will likely determine our fate. (So why did I say it?)

66. twinfan said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:27 pm

The deficit in the West is entirely due to the record against San Diego. Earlier in the year, that made sense because neither team could score and the Pads had both the speed and pen edge. The Giants are a far different team now offensively.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:38 pm

well, not 100%; losses to LA and Rox contributed to that deficit too. But, yes, the whole team has a different feel to it now, not just offensively.

67. Macdog said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Two 4-game sweeps on the road — and in the same month! Elias likely scurrying trying to find out the last time Giants pulled off such a feat.

68. snarkk said, on July 25, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Whatever Buster is eating, drinking, reading, whatever, keep doin’ it. And don’t let Bam Bam Meulens get within 100 yards of him…

69. twinfan said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Soph’s attacks on me have gotten ourt of control over there. It’s frustrating not being able to respond. I can deal with and thrive on back and forth. But claiming that I have sent “private” abusive notes is slander.

• delmardennis said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I didn’t see what transpired today, by the time I got there all the comments had already been removed. Just tried to catch up now. Soph is now claiming that “private” note you allegedly sent was under the “Reply” section. How the fuck is that private? Didn’t you say you unearthed that barryforever is/was an SFGate employee? I find that outrageous, as those two are one in the same.

70. DJLoo said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:03 pm

When Rowand was called back, the AZ announcers said that Gibson had called Bochy’s bluff. They didn’t think he changed his mind.

71. DJLoo said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Romo looks like one of those kids who had a moustache when he was 7 years old.

72. DJLoo said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Stix: I’ve been thinking about your “dink hit” question from yesterday. I can’t imagine how it could be look-uppable, but in my memory Thurman Munson was real good at it.

73. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm

7 Concussions for FP
    Explains alot actually.

74. alleykat said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm

You just have laugh at how pathetic the D-Backs are.And to top it off they were raped by the Angels in the Dan Haren trade.Joe Saunders? are you kidding me,Patrick Corbin Rafael Rodriguez and the famous PTBNL not named Mike Trout i might add is a joke.This deal blows.Especially considering who they gave up to the A’s to get Haren in the first place…..Brett Anderson,Carlos Gonzalez,Chris Carter and more.

75. dirtnrocksnreno said, on July 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm

SF treated AZ like the cellar dwelling humps that they are. Way to win and sweep the series.

Nice to see Ishikawa come through. The missing piece for him is confidence.

4 for 5. Are you kidding me? How long until Posey is in the 3 hole?

He is the one……..(insert church choir music and the gates of heaven opening here)