A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Steamroll Time…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 2, 2010

Man, “Hello driver’s seat”….At least in term of the Wild Card and the NL West. I know SD is still ahead of us but I am telling you, they are not to be feared. Admittedly, I didn’t think they’d last this long.  But the ace in the hole in the innings pitched their young pitching staff is accumulating. Latos and Richard are going to be putting on innings in September that those arms haven’t seen before. And the Pads aren’t going to be led through Sept by Garland and Correia. We probably steamroll them before Sept 1 but I’l certainly take it when the season ends, too. And the teams underneath us in the NL West just don’t inspire me. We’ve got the upper hand on everyone right now, as far as I’m concerned…..

Cain finally gets his first win against the Dodgers. He’s now 1-8. But his career ERA vs them is only a half a run worse than his career ERA against everyone else. 1-8 is not a fate this guy deserves……

1. delmardennis said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Will Venable with a 3-run tatter and Tejada is already paying dividends. and you guys want them to win?
    I’m still praying for their plane to crash. Fucking Costanza owes me.

• unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Not me. Fuck the Pawds. Anything to slow their roll…

2. stixwiz said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Kuroda has crashed and burned. Way they’re going tonight, the LaBumbos will be lucky to salvage one out of four at their own Latrine. Pads’ lead will stretch to 2 games tonight. Looks like the 3 in China Basin took all the stuffing outta the Bums ~ whatever they had left.

3. IH1978 said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:31 pm

UC: The ’71 cruiser was/is a terrific OHV. My wife has a 96 cruiser.

4. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I think gloating rooster is trying to break the guiness book of worlds record for Longest Continuous Dinner of all Time

• wswinb4igo said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Ya Flav…He’s been “out” all year…

5. delmardennis said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm

The Giants & Grizzlies signed a 2 year extension of their player development contract.
    Not exactly sure what that means, but I think Velez has a home for another two years. How’s he doing anyway?

6. stixwiz said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Will the Giants call up Brandon Belt before September? Henry has a somewhat bogus line going at the Chronsite about the Giants maybe picking up Adam Dunn from the Nats on waivers. Even few of the Splashers are enthused about that scenario.

But 22 y.o. Belt appears to be a horse of a different color. He’s over 100 ABs now at Richmond so his stats there, combined with the ones at San Jose appear to be a fair assessment of his skills and his progress. In 371 ABs between the two teams he is currently batting a composite .372 with 79 runs on 138 hits. 58 of the 138 are for extra bases, including 33 doubles, ten triples and 15 dingers. With all these fireworks he has driven in 82 runs. Add the runs scored and driven in and divide by those 371 ABs and you get a Bondsian RP/AB figure of .433. Incredible.

Belt’s batting eye is something else again, evidently. His walks to strikeouts ratio has declined slightly from SJ to Richmond and is now slightly below, rather than a bit above par at 67-72. Is there anything this long, lanky Texan cannot do? He does have a slight, minor little turn of speed with those 10 triples + 19 stolen bases. So what’s not to like?

Graduated stats: Combined OBP is through the roof at .470. Again, Bondsian numbers.
    His slugging percentage compares pretty nicely with any ML first baseman not named Albert Pujols. It’s a mere .636. All adds up to an OPS of 1.106.

It’s possible that if he gets the call this month, he would flop against ML pitching. But with similar stats in high A and AA, Pablo Sandoval did ok in that situation. And this guy has a better batting eye plus a good turn of speed. Imagine Belt getting the call this month, so that if he does do well, he gets a shot at the Post-Season. Imagine Brandon batting in that troublesome 2-hole, sandwiched between Torres and Huff with Posey backing them up. I like that vision. Belt could just possibly be the reason Sabean did not sacrifice a pitcher or even good prospects to get that magic bat. It may already be in the pipeline.

7. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Yeah, IH, might get a mid 80s FJ60 wagon to fix up.

The old iron pigs are too far gone now.

8. JBat said, on August 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Those are some pretty wow numbers from Belt. We may have a sleeper on our hands.

9. wswinb4igo said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Belt is no sleeper…when the conversation shifted from a SP, his was probably the very next name wanted…He’s close. How close? Wouldn’t shock me, or Mike and apparently stix if he’s here sooner than later.

10. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm

If A-rod is gonna fiddle around this much trying to get to 600 I think barrys record is safe…

11. blade3colorado said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Great info Stix . . . thanks for the breakdown on Belt 🙂

12. oldsealsfan said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:13 pm

10-2 Pods! They most be close to riots in LA.

Chuck, ha-ha-ha. After all I did for you on the Splash.

13. blade3colorado said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

A-Rod’s HR rate has gone sooooooooooooooooouth since last year. Now that everyone knows he is a “juice” creation, his legacy will keep going south too. I doubt he gets into the Hall of Fame in my lifetime.

14. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Yeah, A Rod was a shoe in to pass Bonds a couple years ago. Now? Not so much.

15. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Riots in LA? Naah they’ll just stop showing up.

16. blade3colorado said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Chuck and Flav, without the juice, baseball will go back to “normal” (or worse, since they can’t even take “greenies” and other uppers anymore). No more “40 is the new 30.” Just about everyone will age the same now . . . book it.

17. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:26 pm

“Only in Cali where we riot not rally to live and die in LA..”…..sorry, I love my rap from the 90’s………

18. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Blade– go check out the Adderall-wave that’s sweeping the bigs. They’re always one step ahead……

19. blade3colorado said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Had no idea . . . Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine) is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Flav, is this stuff undetectable by MLB drug testing?

20. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

and obviously Adderall isn’t a steroid but it’s a schedule 2 drug, it’s legalized speed, and it IS performance enhancing to someone who DOESN’T have ADD. I’m sure some MLB players have ADD and that’s why they take it. Unfortunately, a lot of guys DON’T have ADD and still get doctors to write them the prescription and MLB has to go along with it. Adderall affects a non-ADD person much differently that a person with ADD…….

21. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Blade– you can take Adderall legally and play baseball with a prescription. It has to be documented and you go on a list but the number of players in MLB who now have “ADD” has like quadrupled in the last couple of years. Ridiculous…….

22. blade3colorado said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Ahh . . . OK, I get your drift now.

23. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Adderall is the explanation for Andres Torres’ big year.

• TedSpe said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm

i knew it!!!!
      Thanks for the reply, by theway

24. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

they are two separate issues. He may or may not be cheating with it. But it’s idiotic to think that it’s not the new cheat-drug. If he’s got ADD and a prescription that isn’t from a bullshit doctor, good on him…….

25. Macdog said, on August 2, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Nice info, Flav, you’re on top of this one: http://tinyurl.com/23kd58n

26. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Thanks MAC– the last time I brought this up someone said I didn’t know what I was talking about and that it was an “outrageous accusation”…….

27. delmardennis said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Speaking of Andres, I think I saw where his numbers make him a NL WAR OFer along with Byrd and Holliday.
    With Torres on Adderall, I can only imagine what those two guys are taking. 😉

28. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm

He was diagnosed in 2002. Don’t get hissy. I have made two calm, non asccusatory statements.

29. stixwiz said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm

SS LaBumbos is listing to starboard, down by the bow, has her propellers out of synch and a partly jammed rudder. S.O.S.

30. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

If Andres has been on Adderall since 2002, then the effects don;t seem to be the reason for his resergence . . .

But, I also heard that the number of ball players with ADD or ADHD is like 500% over the national average.

31. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I’d love to see the lsit of the 130+ guys or whatever it is that are on Adderall (legally). Byrd is a “Conte-guy”–dude put on 30 lbs of muscle using Victor’s new *formula*. Hey, it’s gotta be legit right? Either that or those dudes have balls of steel. Look, the Steroid era is over but it left behind all the reasons in the world to question performance for the rest of time…….

32. Macdog said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Kemp having a helluva game in what will be a losing effort. Kinda like that cycle for Johnson.

33. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Uncanny, eh?

34. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Andres wasn’t on Adderall since 2002 that’s just when he was diagnosed. He started taking it in…..2008. Surprise. But like I said, maybe he’s legitimately got ADD though the drug just helps you focus if you have ADD. FOr everyone else it’s basically legalized speed…….

35. bigflavor said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm

goodnight you guys, I’m hitting the sack. We can talk about all the schedule 2 drugs you want to talk about tomorrow morning……..

36. Macdog said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Looking at tonight’s scores, the best part of the schedule is that the Giants have seven games against the gutless Cubs.

37. delmardennis said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Speak of the devil, Baggs just came out with a good read on Torres. Of note, his middle name is actually “Yungo,” not “Vungo” as noted in the media guide. Actually, it’s a nickname given to him by his friends back home in Puerto Rico.

38. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I did not say he’s been on it since 2002. I said he was diagnosed in 2002. According to the story, he did not take the meds for it until 2007. That it helped is hardly fucking proof that he’s cheating. He is now a spokesman for ADHD. I believe I said that accusing him without proof was outrageous. I sill think it is, but whatever. As Loo said, everyone is suspect these days so why not Andres.

39. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm

It was said by others that he forgot the signals as soon as they were given until he started getting the meds. But again, whatever. With the HGH and who knows what other currently undetectable, untested, new, or otherwise unchallenged meds, he’s maybe 1 of 700 players taking SOMETHING. There are many completely legal PEDs.

40. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Well, I just assumed if they diagnosed him in 02, that’s when he started on it.

41. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm

My point about being diagnosed in 2002 is that it doesn’t fit wih the notion that it was a flavor of the day bogus diagnosis. If I were making an accusation that Torres was using adderall illicitly, I think I’d want to research the facts. But that’s just me. As far as I can tell, he was diagnosed several years ago but didn’t take any meds for it until 2007. Certainly his performance then got better. It would be expected to. Duh. That’s hardly proof of anything other than the medicine prescribed for his condition was effective. It now would be in the court of an accuser to show he doesn’t have ADHD. Or, just smear with innuendo.

42. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Now I do not expect to be attacked in the morning over my calm, reasoned words. But ya nevah know. Nighty.

43. unca chuck said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm

It’s not so much him as it is the 150 guys who suddenly get diagnosed with it and are now on it because of what they’ve heard.

For every legit case, there will now be 50 guys who get a scrip to get it under false pretenses.

44. eddacker415 said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm

An off day, a chance to reflect

July was a great month, despite any weakness anywhere in the organizartion I can’t be anything but elated about the record, our chances and especially about the way this team has jelled *as a team*.

We’ve never seen what an ‘off’ year might look like for the freak:
    22 games 11W 4L 152K – whip and era a tiny bit high, wins a tiny bit low (in what most are calling an off year)

The Panda missed on his weight loss program and started missing baseballs, too. But the team was carried on by Huff and Torres and Uribe. Timely help came from almost every other spot in the lineup.

And while the pen looked spotty and everyone howled at Wilson for ‘the torture’ and a certain loss he went to the all star game and leads the league with 31 saves in 47IP with 66K and 2 wins.

Then up came a rookie named Buster and a rookie named Madison and what’s wrong with that? too late you say? too late for that doomer comment!
    We even saw botchy throw a woop-de-do into his slow and steady style.

I SAY GO GIANTS!

so when you are too close to the action, when you are juding every inning or every play you can miss the bigger picture. SF Giants fans always fear the future: we play well, but have never won a WS in recent memory (damn Loma Prieta).

Not this year, this year you have to see a team that can win.
    Ya gotta Believe!

45. Michael said, on August 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Well, you have to wipe out a couple generations of “greenie” numbers, don’t you? And I still say that “The Babe” hitting like 50 when the other guys are hitting FOUR is kinda suspicious, kids. I’m declaring Hank Greenberg the new all time HR leader as all I can find that might have helped him are potato knishes.

46. Unca Chuck said, on August 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

Don’t kid yourself, Mike. Cocaine was big in the 20s. . . .