A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Pablo and Tim

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 27, 2010

Baggs wrote an interesting piece today at the Merc. It’s a comprehensive piece on what Tim and Pablo need to focus on this off season. It suggests that they are having down years as a result of their bodies (Pablo too fat, Tim not conditioned correctly).

Now I love Baggs, I think he’s the best beat writer we have by a mile. When they pan to the writers at the games, Baggerly just LOOKS like he’s about 10 times smarter than everyone in that room. But I think that article is off base. It’s not that I don’t think Panda should lose weight or that Tim shouldn’t work on his conditioning. They should. But the deficits in their respective bodies don’t explain the problems they’ve had this year…..

His velocity has dropped from year to year and the theory is that he’s not conditioned correctly to handle the rigors of a 162 game season year in and year out. Couldn’t it be better explained by the fact that he’s thrown the third most pitches in baseball over the last 3 seasons? This guy weighs about as much as my left bicep, how much conditioning is he gonna have to do to keep up that type of pace at the Cy Young level we’re accustomed to? Baggs uses Oswalt as a comparison but Tim looks like a dwarf compared to Oswalt. A buddy of mine saw Tim at a restaurant in SF last year and couldn’t believe how tiny he was. And forget his listed height and weight, there’s no freaking way he’s 5’11, 170. This dude just doesn’t have the body to throw that many pitches every year no matter how many squats he does or how many miles he runs. And as he ages it’s only going to get worse…….

Panda’s problem, as I’ve identified many times, is nothing more than focus. He was going through a tough emotional time at the start of the year and struggled through that for most of the season. Quite simply, his focus wasn’t 100% on the game of baseball and in this game, if you’re even at 95%, that’s going to ruin you. He hit .330 with the same body last year and I think he’s a little thinner this year. Yet now he’s swinging through hit-me strikes that he killed last year? No way. And as we see him coming out of his year long fog, the “time heals all wounds” theory is making more and more sense. I’d worry about Pablo’s weight as he hits his 30’s. Right now, it’s not as big of a deal as it is for him to get his head straight. And it looks like he’s well on his way to doing that right now just in time for the stretch run……..

Could Tim get stronger/better conditioned legs? Sure. But if he doesn’t start locating his slower pitches better, he’s screwed. And Pablo is already showing that he’s finally got his focus back. Lose some weight, sure. I’d rather see him lose some *dead* emotional weight in his head……..

1. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Fuck!

2. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Fuck him and his two goddamn Cy Young Awards. Walks two, then a meatball.
    I’ve had it with his shit. Ace my motherfucking ass. He sucks. And, yes, Get a goddamn haircut!

3. snarkk said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I think I’ll go get another Scotch…

4. xootsuit said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Did I hear FP joke about Tim’s hair? “Forget cuttin the hair, cut his fuckin head off.” Swear I heard that in the background. Just about FP’s style.

5. blade3colorado said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Snarkk, ask Dennis to join you.

6. blade3colorado said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Dollars to donuts the Giants still win this game or my name isn’t Pawlie Kokonuts.

7. blade3colorado said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm

One big thing in Timmie’s favor – The snakes just love to swing and miss.

8. Michael said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Hard to see where Enright’s numbers come from. He has nothing.

9. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Guillen can’t even get a decent jog going. Jesus. Any more Inter league games on the schedule?

10. Michael said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:49 pm

They need to cut Guillen NOW. This guy cannot move at all. It’s embarassing.

11. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I know this has no chance of happening, but if he were to cut his hair prior to his next start, I would make a SUBSTANTIAL wager on him winning that start. Don’t even know who he’s facing, don’t care. I’d make that wager simply on the entire change/psychological/bullshit/horseshit/means nothing/factor of gambling.

I would make that wager in a heartbeat. Please Timmy, cut your hair, I could use the money.

12. Michael said, on August 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm

It’s a trollaganza over at the Splash.

13. bigflavor said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm

What’s unfolding is pretty much what I posted yesterday. Kruk had a great take on Timmy this am. Without velocity he can still be awesomely successful but he has to change his speeds with better location. And I agree about Enright, don’t know what his deal is. He’s effective though….

14. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:05 pm

The little shit better get this bunt down.

15. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Helluva job. C’mon, Yungo. Get us back in this one.

16. xootsuit said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Interesting sidebar story about the crowd along the LF line who watched Lincecum warm up this evening. Apparently they shouted things like “cut your fucking hair” and “got your contract so you think you can coast now, right?” and “two CYs don’t mean shit, little shit.” No. Sorry. I misheard the story line. The crowd was just the opposite. They gave him encouragement and a standing ovation. The negative comments were coming from a few assholes wearing Dodger hats.

17. blade3colorado said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Twin and Flav, agree with regard to Enright. I don’t know how he does it, but last week he did the same thing to the Rockies.

18. Michael said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Getting pretty outrageous at the Splash. This is a “new” troll. Starting with chemo, cancer, etc. now.

19. bigflavor said, on August 27, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I’ve said this for his last 3 starts: the focus isn’t on the game it’s on lincecum. That’s not how an offense succeeds. He’s been beaten again by an inferior pitcher. Though it’s getting harder and harder to call them inferior pitchers…

20. freshtodef80 said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I think BFE has been banned on The Splash.

21. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm

It doesn’t help when they’re down 3-0, and 4-0 vs. the Cubs, before they even get a chance to hit.

22. bigflavor said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm

It’s happening every game he pitches lately. St Louis didn’t get a hit till what? The 5th inning?

23. xootsuit said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Strasburg pitched 1/4 of a season and went down for the next 1 1/2; probably never be the same. Compare that to Lincecum (compare the money, too, given Strasburg’s $15M signing bonus). Lincecum’s not an ace now. That’s a fact. So he’s not gonna carry the team. He’s still the guy who made the past three seasons exciting. He’s still battling now. He’s still a starter. (Or would you rather have Wellemeyer?)

24. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Carpenter’s obviously better than these other guys, and he might’ve been extra stoked for that matchup. The Pads game they were down 4-0 after just 1 1/2 innings. They fall behind and probably start pressing a little.

25. Michael said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Well, he’s back as twinkie69, whoever it was. I’m calling Monday.

26. bigflavor said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Strasburg is going to be fine when he comes back, probably better. tJ surgury isn’t a bad thing (other than the time u miss). These TJ guys come back stronger…
    Mac. I’m not doing it now but let’s look at the # of runs the giants have scored in his last 6 starts or so. Sittin on the couch, don’t feel like gettin up right now

• delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:25 pm

1,2,6,2 in his last four losses; 6,3,7,2,15 all in his previous 5 wins.

Is everyone else hearing the Spanish version as well? Nothing going right.

• delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Those are all in consc. order as well. L to R. 1—–>15

27. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:20 pm

This is just disappointing. My anger from the first inning has dissipated and has been replaced with depression and despair. Looking at five straight loses from our ace. I don’t have any answers.

Did Kuip just take a jab the Irish? He stumbled over saying it’s “Irish Heritage Night,” and said something like “I’m sounding like one now” which I took as being drunk. I’m Irish, I could give a shit. Actually provided me with a little chuckle amidst all this doom and gloom. I could use another good drunk Irish joke.

• TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Oooookay dennis:
      Here’s an oldie but a goodie:

The first gay bar was finally opened in Dublin. Every Gaelic in town goes there. It’s called:
      SODOM AND BEGORRA

• TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:33 pm

There was a young coleen named Flynn
        Who thought fornication a sin
        But when she was tight
        It seemed quite alright
        So everyone filled her with gin

• TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:36 pm

“All right, McQuinlan” said the judge, “You’ve been brought here for drinking!”
        “Well, you honor” said McQuinlan, “What are we waiting for? Let’s get startin’!”

• TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Fogerty began to drop in at Barney’s bar regularly and his order was always the same. 2 martinis. Barney asked him why he didn’t just order a double.
        “It;s a sentimental thing” said Fogerty. “A very dear friend of mine died a few weeks ago and before his death, he asked that when I have a drink, I have one for him too.”
        A week later, Fogarty dropped into the bat and ordered only one drink. The bartender asked “Why only one? What about your dead buddy?”
        Fogarty said “This *is* my buddy’s drink. I’m on the wagon”

28. TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:22 pm

huh

29. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:35 pm

One time Pablo, one time.

30. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Flav, no need to look it up, they haven’t scored much in 4 of his last 5 starts. The Cubs game was the exception, they scored more than enough but Lincecum and then Mota couldn’t keep it close. The Atlanta game which started Lincecum’s slide the Giants couldn’t hit worth a damn the whole 4-game series. It’s really just the Padres game when they couldn’t hit a mediocre pitcher. Enright? Who knows, but he’s off to a good start for his caereer.

31. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm

That was easy to see coming. How many times have they struck out on these high pitches tonight?

32. eddacker415 said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Nice looking crowd tonight, I am proud of you bay area fans.
    Can we give them something in the ninth?
    seems like AZ wants to play the spoiler like a good team would.

33. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:50 pm

CSN must have put a new on-field mic or something, another curse, this time a “fuck” made it on air. There were a couple of others just the other day that made it as well. Someone with delicate ears such as myself might be offended. I hope they remedy this problem soon.

34. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Lidge balks in tying run with 2 outs in 9th, 2-2.

35. wswinb4igo said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm

an IBB, HBP, and a balk ties it for SD in bot 9th…incredible

36. TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm

And can I just say…fuck?

37. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:57 pm

And I think it was 0-2 on the HBP.

• wswinb4igo said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:59 pm

yes…it was

38. mrmrbill said, on August 27, 2010 at 9:59 pm

So… I guess no three-peat for the CY this year? :/

39. wswinb4igo said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm

After the 1st, he actually didn’t pitch bad. I’m more encouraged by this outing than any other since ATL…They had chances…the o didn’t deliver.

40. bigflavor said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:02 pm

intentional bb, HBP, balk. That’s gonna go over real well with the Philly fans….

• Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:07 pm

LQTM, I’m getting angry texts from my Phils colleague for not leaving in Oswalt in the 9th.

41. TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:05 pm

uh huh.
    So what

42. TedSpe said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm

dennis,…hope you enjoyed my drunken Irish jokes
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

• delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Yes I did, Ted. Thanks. Maybe Kuip will poke fun of bald people tomorrow.
      You can send some of those my way as well. Better still, if ya have any bald, drunk Irish jokes, that’d be swill.

43. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm

First Strasburg earlier today, now Buster gets dinged. “Mild” forearm strain sounds harmless and benign, but harmless and benign = Vern and Vera. Man, my head is literally drooping into my hands. What’s that they call it, a face palm? Zitshit going tomorrow night. I think his picture is listed next to “face palm” in good old Merriam-Webster.

44. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Flav, I think you’re right about the team being tense and waiting when Timmy pitches. They certainly didn’t look like a bunch who’d scored 38 runs the previous three games. Nor did their defense: Posey’s first throw to second was way wide, and I thought Pablo should have had that late ball down the first base line. Nevertheless, I didn’t think Lincecum pitched badly.

I watched the game in a pub owned by a Phillies guy. So their game was on too. Lidge is unbelievable. Anyone notice that he seems to throw with his shoulder rather than his arm? Also a nice touch: since it was the Phils’ broadcast, when Matt Stairs came up they showed his playoff blast off Broxton at Chavez Ravine. The meltdown has a history.

45. unca chuck said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Oh, come on:

What’s Irish and stays out all night?

Paddy O’Furniture . . .

Didja hear about the 2 Irish homos?

Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick

What’s an Irish 7 course meal?

A six-pack and a potato

Forearm strain for Posey? Day to day? Sorry no joke there…

Shit. Another loss for Tim. Missed all but the 9th. Enright?ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………….

46. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Phils win anyway. There goes the wild-card lead.

47. unca chuck said, on August 27, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Hey Ed. I got to say, I didn;t buy it when Flav said it, and I don;t buy it now. What’s this hitters are ‘tense’ shit with Timmy? These guys have gone cold for everyone on the staff. They make errors behind everyone on the staff. Frigging Zito had at least 3-4 games early on where he got no support. Sanchez lost a one-hitter for God’s sake. There’s been countless games where the pitchers are left hanging.

Timmy’s having problems, definitely. But to say the hitting’s going south BECAUSE he’s on the mound is ludicrous. If that’s the case, then the hitters should be doing a hell of a lot more about it due to all the times TIM kept the other teams from scoring in all those other games.

It’s Timmy’s fault they don’t score runs because they are all waiting for him to fuck up? If that’s the case, then they all have very short memories.

48. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Unca, I don’t know if its tense, but I think they’re waiting around for him to perform–as we all are. I missed the first, but thought he pitched decently tonight, gutted it out pretty well. Even so, I thought Enright pitched more confidently–hitting his spots and knowing he could do so. That letter-high fastball to Guillen was right where the target was. You want to think that these are professionals, etc., but this is an emotional game as we know and they’re not immune.

49. Macdog said, on August 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

So much for Rapunzel. Instead we get repugnant.

50. zumarust said, on August 27, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I missed the game. I’ve got it recorded, but doubt that I’ll watch it. Tomorrow’s another day. I won’t be at the game, but I gave it a serious look. It’s tough passing on a Joe Dimaggio Seals bobblehead, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

51. delmardennis said, on August 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Did you hear about the Irish water polo team?
    All their horses drowned.

52. dirtnrocksnreno said, on August 27, 2010 at 11:49 pm

From the 1st on Lincecum pitched well tonight. Tough loss. Ran into Amy G out by the bricks. She was looking good tonight. Highlight of the game for me was telling an usher to fuck off after he got up in my face about stepping over some yellow fucking line. I’m like “dude chill, you work with the public. You should actually LIKE people.”

53. Michael said, on August 28, 2010 at 12:09 am

It’s one game. OK, one lousy game. Not to worry, Zito goes tomorrow…

54. Michael said, on August 28, 2010 at 12:10 am

Did I forget to insert the gay ass fuckwad smiley face?

55. unca chuck said, on August 28, 2010 at 12:21 am

If you didn’t, I would have.

Yeah, it’s one game, but its 5 losses in a row for Tim…

56. unca chuck said, on August 28, 2010 at 12:26 am

Immune to what, Ed? The collective mind-fuck of thinking, “Oh shit, Timmy’s pitching”?

Enright pitched great. But this team has a knack for making fair to middling guys look like Cy Young. Why are they on one day and off the next? I don’t know, but the games before the 38 runs in 3 games were 1 run in 2 games. Like I said, if its down to these guys playing scared or tense or whatever when he comes in, then they have very short memories. He was still dealing last month.