A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Take 3……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 2, 2010

When Darren Ford improbably took off for third, ultimately heading home as the winning run last night, the first thing I thought of was Will Clark hitting a HR off Nolan Ryan– I know, I know, lots of differences but that’s what I first thought of. That goddamn ball rolled maybe 5 feet away from Olivo. There’s no WAY you take off and make it safe to third. And how does a guy in his first freaking major league game even have the balls to attempt that play? And then it just sort of magically unfolded, ironically, in slow motion. At least to me…..

Bochy deserves credit for putting Ford in as a PR but what the hell was he even doing on the team? This guy was hitting .251 with a .680 OPS in freaking Richmond! Everyone has heard about his speed but you don’t really get it till you see a play like last night. Would he have been out if the throw had been on the money? Probably, but we’ll never know…..

I’ve got no clue if Ford will ever do anything at this level. I think I saw he had a neck tattoo. I hate guys with neck tats. And it doesn’t really matter how fast you are if you can’t get on base and that .251 ba/.315 OBP/680 OPS from Richmond is uninspiring at best.  But for one play, for one moment in time, the dude showed up with the most exciting rookie debut since Will Clark’s. I’ll never forget last night’s play……

1. TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Did my queef joke kill the blog?

2. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Hello?

3. delmardennis said, on September 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Don’t look at me, I didn’t use the italics again. Maybe it’s the weather, it’s too goddamn hot.

4. snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm

WTF is going on here today? First, italics everywhere. Now all the posts disappear. Maybe the NSA geeks monitoring us hit the global delete…

5. TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Did you know? A moof monster is a vague and indefinable source of trouble for users of information technology.
    Spoooooooooooky

6. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I zapped the last thread. I was deleting some posts and I did the quick method and it fucked up the order of all the other posts. So this is take 3. Just as well, the last thread had a bunch of non baseball related bulkshit that no one is interested in

• TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm

It *was* my queef joke (insert gay ass smiley face)

7. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:03 pm

LV(that stands for “very”)QTMS

• bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

No need for the “s” at the end though….lvqtm covers it, right? 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Correcto almundo per Flavor . . . LVQTM

8. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Ted you might have to post it again, I missed it. Also, could one of u guys explain all the gomez jokes?

• Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Snarkk called Ramirez “Gomez”…

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Well, if I did, whatever. Was that after my first or second tumbler??? Maybe I thought I was on the Addams Family blog…

• blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm

You read my mind . . . Not certain it was alleykat, but a few days ago he mentioned Pepper Gomez and it brought back fond memories of going to the wrestling matches at the old civic center in San Jose and the Cow Palace in SSF. However, what’s with all the other Gomez’s??????

9. snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Speaking of non baseball related bullshit, Bow Tie is now on KNBR…

10. DJLoo said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Should the Giants make the PS and depending on when they clinch, isn’t it highly possible that Bochy will change the rotation? Think he’d delete Zito entirely?

11. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Obviously Cain and lincecum would be in the rotation. They will shut madbum down. That leaves a choice between dirrrrty and zito with the loser going long relief out of the pen. Zito would go to the pen…

12. TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

That’s a decision he’s still got a month to evaluate

13. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm

With 4-5 starts each, it’s way early to know how the rotation would go in the post season. As of today, Timmy went from the shaky 4 to the 2. They still have to consider Cain the 1 right now. Problem with Zitfuck in the pen is obvious: he’d be a terrible reliever. Sanchez could be as good any pitcher in baseball if you want ONE LHer out and that’s all he has to do. But I doubt they go with a 3 man rotation anyway. So as of now it’s Cain, Lincecum, Zitfuck, Sanchez. Flavor is probably right: they don’t cut back on Bumgarner at all right now, pitch him through the regular season and then shut him down.

14. snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm

If they make the playoffs, I’ll be shocked if Zito doesn’t make a start. He’s making too much money not to. The Giants are good at defying reality in the playoffs when it comes to starters, with disastrous results. Hammaker, Salomon Torres, Livan. He’ll start…

• DJLoo said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:32 pm

The Torres disaster was pre-playoffs, Snarkie…

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm

It was a playoff type do or die situation, Loo. Lose, you don’t get in. Same deal…

15. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:24 pm

My angle with Zito is, he only pitches if one of your starters gets blown out–you’d never send him into a situation where you have to count on him. If none of the SP’s get rocked early, he never sees the mound……

16. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:27 pm

They will never go with a 3 man rotation PERIOD so it’s Zito or Bumgarner…

17. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Aren’t there a lot more days off during the PS and WS than there used to be? Maybe I’m imagining that. I was thinking it would be easy to go with a 3 man rotation. Either way, Zito is a gas can, I will never have any faith in him again. He’s come up ant-small in Aug, he’s been way worse than Timmy. That last start was a fucking joke……

18. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:32 pm

But Snarkk is dead wrong again, it has nothing to do with $. Based on that bullshit , Rowand and Rent start, too. Zito would pitch because they need 4 guys. He’ll be the 3 or 4 depending on this last month.

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Of course it has to do with money. That’s why he’s still here after 3 seasons of mostly horse manure performance. Sanchez is the better option over Zito, but they’ll go with Zito. And Bumgarner, too. Putting him off liimits for starting in the playoffs would be a bad move. Who has the better chance to win — Zito or Bum?

• Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Being here this year and whether he starts in the play offs are not the same thing. And two of the 3 are starting anyway, saying it’s Zito OR Sanchez is bullshit, It will be both. Now accept reality and move on. Bumgarner is having his innings limited, as all teams do and should do.

19. eddacker415 said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Gee, and I thought the off day piss fest was much tamer than it used to be.
    LOL
    This road series is barely a travel day, the team has to stay with momentum, spirit and focus. A practice for the post season travels that await. And a pounding at the door with the pads series.
    This team has lots of heart; no stopping now.

20. snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:38 pm

At this point, I’d take a playoff start by Walkemeyer over one by Zitoid, if it were a home start. That’s pretty freakin bad, but at least Walkemeyer has some stuff. Zito’s got nuttin’ the last few starts. What are they going to do with this putz for another 4 seasons? 4 seasons!!! When his fastball hits 75 mph (next year?), he can be a good BP thrower, I suppose…

21. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:39 pm

To my knowledge, there is never more than one day off in a row. So in a 3 man they all pitch on just 3 days rest. They’ll never go that way.
    NLDS Game One Wednesday, October 6 TBS TBA

NLCS Game Three Tuesday, October 19 FOX TBA
    NLCS Game Four Wednesday, October 20 FOX TBA
    NLCS Game Five* Thursday, October 21 FOX TBA
    NLCS Game Six* Saturday, October 23 FOX TBA
    NLCS Game Seven* Sunday, October 24 FOX TBA

22. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm

The good news and bad news are one and the same for us vis a vis the Zitfuck: he’s due for his decent month in September…

23. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:03 pm

There comes a time when it doesn’t fucking matter what the team might do tomorrow. That’s true in the postseson and it’s true at about this time in the regular season. If winning the game at hand means that the staritng pitcher tomorrow will be Jose Guillen, you live with it. This is to say that who fucking gets the starts in the postseason is a decision a million years away,…

24. snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Where’s friggin Rent? Bochy said he was ready, but Fontenot starts at SS last night. He got a key hit, solid. But, Fontenot basically can’t throw most runners out from deep in the hole, and his range is limited. He’s not a MLB quality SS, just an emergency start guy. I suspect Rent is not really ready. Get Uribe back in there…

25. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Key hit and the walk that started the winning rally. You’re a piece of work Snarkklefuck. And all it WAS was to give Uribe a blow, with the rough RIGHT HANDER Jimenez going.

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm

That’s what I said. Emergency. So get Uribe back in there, Rent can keep sitting where he belongs. I didn’t see in the beginning WTF Fontenot adds to the picture. Rohlinger makes more sense at SS. I’m leary of ex Cubs as a policy matter…

26. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Uribe is draggin like a motherfucker, fontenot has been fine. Renteria hits the ball about as far as fontenot at this point in his career and he’s slower with worse range.

27. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Who said Uribe WASN’T back in tomorrow ? It was a big hit AND the walk that started the winning rally, BTW. God, what a bitch you are.

• freshtodef80 said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm

When does the Renteria bashing End.

• Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Fresh, it can get pretty incredible, more so with Rowand, I’ve seen Rowand savaged while his game winning HR is STILL IN THE AIR. ..
        With Aaron, it’s now just plain mean. As I said, he’s buried deeper than Hoffa, he pinch hits when they’re 3 ahead ONLY because it was him or Whitseide, and he gets more comments than the Pope on Easter Sunday,..
        but on Rent, it would not surprise me at all if he was the starting SS in the postseason.
        I can definitely envision:
        Torres CF
        Fruckie 2B
        Huff RF
        Burrell LF
        Posey C
        Sandoval 1B
        Uribe 3B
        Renteria SS

28. snarkk said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Time to turn attention to the Niner game. With Alex sitting, we’ll probably see some decent QB play tonite. Adios…

• Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, that 105 rating last week sucked…

29. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Tell you what was hilarious-during the TD drive that Smith led at the end of the 1st half of last week’s Niner game, I think he was like 5 of 6 with the TD to Morgan. Snarkk’s sister Soph was going through contortions being excited about the drive without mentioning Smith’s name as being a part of it. Really funny stuff. 5 guys caught passes that nobody threw…

30. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Rent will play some down the stretch and probably win a game or few for them.

31. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Twin, at your convenience, I sent you an email.

32. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Saw it, Blade. I’ll get back to you later this evening.

33. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Thank you!

34. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Rooster’s shitty beimel-fuck is in the process of fuckjng up this win vs Philly

35. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I just saw that mike Hampton is getting called up by the dbacks. Why in the fucking hell is that guy still playing? He’s made like 150 million or whatever, he’s completely done, and yet he’s farting around the Reno aces pitching staff. Unreal.

• James said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Maybe he enjoys baseball more than softball?

36. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm

The Rockies bullpen is a fucking abominable joke…

37. DJLoo said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm

The Rooster seemed like a decent enough person…

38. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Why the criticism of Hampton? I say it’s to his credit that he’s perservering after all he’s endured. It’s obviously no longer about money, he still wants to compete…

39. DJLoo said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm

And he’s one of the best hitting pitchers in modern history. Almost as good as my first Giant autograph, Ron Herbel.

40. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’m sort of watching the Rockies game. Very good “shit and giggles” comedic value. For example, in the 7th inning, Philadelphia scored 9 runs. One of the hapless relievers (M. Delcarmen) now has a 12.00 WHIP and 108.00 ERA for the season. I’m imagining him pounding the pavement next year at each of the MLB clubs saying, “Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah . . . We could talk about ERA and that stupid sabermetric stuff, but I would like to chat about my sterling leadership abilities in the clubhouse.”

41. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Hampton and Delcarmen could easily be pitching together on the same staff next year. Hampton can buy the dude some drinks…….

42. max808 said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Loo, That’s right up there with my Frank Reberger.

• DJLoo said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Damn! Always wanted Reberger….Did you get it at Shea?

43. max808 said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Anyone enjoying some BBW tonight?

44. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm

No Max . . . Only DP for me 😉

45. blade3colorado said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Rockies just lost the game . . . 12-11 Phils.

46. bigflavor said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Colorado sucks ass. Their bullpen is pathetic….

47. delmardennis said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:19 pm

12-11. Sounds like Alex Smith’s TD/INT ratio.

Enjoy that TF with your next cup of tea.

48. max808 said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Rocks had a shot in the 9th against Lidge. Atlanta lost anyway. I still think they are finishing behind Philly.

49. James said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I am so grateful and relieved (and entirely unapologetic) that I was able to cut the ties with football once Steve Young left. The tattered Gene Washington poster is tacked indifferently to my son’s bedroom door, a memorial to many wasted hours.

50. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Funny that The Birther thinks that ragging on Smith bothers me. Alex is the starter, fuck. I’m delighted. Supporting a third string subliterate who hasn’t figgered out the 12 page Raye playbook in over a year? Priceless..

51. zumarust said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Man, Singletary really wants to win this preseason game, with all the blitzing the Niners are doing. Can’t remember ever seeing so much blitzing in a preseason game before.

52. unca chuck said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Don;t look now, James. The Niners are close . . .

53. zumarust said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Speaking of the unexpected…..I was watching Jeopardy tonight and Cheech Martin thrashed Anderson Cooper in celebrity Jeopardy. I like Cooper but he was clearly over-matched.

54. unca chuck said, on September 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Yeah, Zumie, if this is our new-look defense, I like it. The corners not named Spenser are a little iffy (and Paymah is gone), and they need to tighten things up a little, but I love the max pressure. It’ll create more turnovers than it hurts them.

55. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

That’s a repeat, Z. I saw that one. I was astounded, Cooper is a moron.

56. James said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

This celebrity Jeopardy thing . . . tell me more about it, I’ve been looking for a new sport to follow for a while now.

57. unca chuck said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, the comedians seem to kick ass on Jeopardy. The news people suck.

58. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Most of the celebs are idiots, then come the college kids, which is interesting because the teens are smart. In fact the downturn seems to begin at about age 8 and they don’t get smart again until 63 YO..

59. unca chuck said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Smarts are wasted on the old?

60. zumarust said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Yeah, Cooper seemed slow and dumbfounded. Like the Raiders headcoach.

61. zumarust said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:25 pm

The dream will die tonight for a bunch of the guys in this football game.

62. zumarust said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I flipped over to the Raider game in time to see a Seahawk return a kick for a touchdown. And Pete Carroll looked pretty pleased. He’s having a good time coaching the Seahawks after leaving USC in ruins.

63. Michael said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Nate MIGHT have saved his job as the 3 with that last drive. But, as we’ve seen, Mike isn’t just a numbers guy. He didn’t look particularly happy with Davis still.

64. TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm

READER ALERT! THIS MAY COME ACROSS AS SOMEWHAT INSENSITIVE TO…NON-CAUCASIONS:
    You know, calling Ramirez “Gomez” reminds me of something I heard someone say about east coasters that they always use some sort of…euphimism, generally with a well known name to make a point when dealing with a non-white individual. And they have no idea they’re actually being somewhat insulting. Cases in point? The following:

AT A CHINESE DINING ESTABLISHMENT:
    “YO!! Lucy Liu?!? How’s abouts the check!
    AT THE OFFICE:
    “Yeah, this is Mickey in IT. The lights went out in the copy room. When Jimmy Smits gets free, what you say he comes up here to change it?”
    LEAVING THE MOVIE THEATRE:
    “Yeah, it was a pretty suspenseful flic. But Queen Latifah and her kids kept ruining it foe me what with all the yelling”
    IN A CAB:
    “Whaddya say, Khadafi? Maybe the Brooklyn tunnel dis time?”
    AT A PIZZA JOINT:
    “Say, Mussolini, got enough olives here?”
    AT A GERMAN DELI:
    “And remind fucking Von Stroheim over there, extra pickles!!”

• TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Actually, there were acouple of caucasions in there. But you get my point:
      AT A GREEK RESTAURANT:
      “Yo Zorba! A little more feta over here??!!”

65. zumarust said, on September 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Pretty funny ending to the Niner game. The guy intercepts it, and tries to run it back in traffic like he’s Gale Sayers, and one of his teammates just throws him to the ground, like….go down and don’t fumble, dude.
    Remember that game a few years ago when the Niner receiver caught a pass with about 20 seconds left and instead of going down quickly or getting out of bounds, he ran all over the place like he was going to break away, and he got tackled and ran the clock out, costing the team a chance to win at the end? That was a typical thing from the Mike Nolan era.

66. James said, on September 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Von Stroheim?! Has “Foolish Wives” recently been remade in 3D at its original length? I guess two mid 20th century fascist dictators would have been repetitive.

• TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm

In response in order
      …no
      …yes

• TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I realize you actually asked 3 questions, but I took the first one rhetorically

67. TedSpe said, on September 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Scene from the GHOST BREAKERS:

Bob Hope: Zombies??!! What are they?
    Scientist: Well, they’re…the walking dead. They wander around. Unknowing. Unfeeling. They simply obey orders without question. Without a will of their own. They simply follow orders no matter what has been asked of them.
    Bob Hope: You mean like Republicans?

(paraphrased)

68. delmardennis said, on September 2, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Paraphrased? Ha! More like taking liberties my friend. Let’s try it again.

• TedSpe said, on September 3, 2010 at 12:07 am

Still paraphrased. Lighten up, Reginald

69. delmardennis said, on September 3, 2010 at 12:23 am

Here’s a typical late night conversation at my place. I never seem to get the last word.

70. TedSpe said, on September 3, 2010 at 12:33 am

Dennis, I love you man but you’re trying to pit your brain against mine. Remember, I got the brain…you got the pit.
    Don’t try to push *me* round. My dues are paid too, you know.
    I know you love walnuts. Cuz you can crack them in your guns. But I’ll bring you some leech nuts. You can crack them in your eyelids. It’s more fun.
    -Bob Hope (PARAPHRASED!!)

71. TedSpe said, on September 3, 2010 at 12:38 am

Hope pulls a gun out on 5 guys:
    “Okay, I’m packing! Back up! Back up you guys!! I’m telling I’ll shoot if you don’t back up!! For the last time, back up!!…Okay I’ll back up…”

72. raymond said, on September 3, 2010 at 6:22 am

u bet flav!! I rewound at least a dozen times…it felt like slowmo to me as well!