A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Losing With One Hand Tied Behind Your Back

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 12, 2010

I loved Baggs’ description of the strike zone yesterday: “more like a rectangle than a square”.  How could we expect to do anything at the plate when Crawford’s dumbass is calling pitches 6 inches (or more) off the plate? And today we get the ridiculous Cuzzi who went to the “How much effort are they putting into making the play” School of Umpiring.  Go google “Cuzzi blown call” and you’ll see there are countless fuck ups by this tool….

THe O/U is 5.5 for today’s game. I don’t know if I’ve seen one that low. And I think I’m taking the under……

8 percentage points out of first place. That sounds much worse than one game back…….

“Nice effort”

1. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Rocks have San Diego at home for 3 and then hit the road for 10 of the last 16. San Diego has a brutal schedule. It all favors the Giants. By 5, natch.

2. Giant Head said, on September 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Has Ford even had one major league at bat yet??? May be asking too much and agree with Twin that him off the bench may be more valuable. I don’t oppose giving him a start, but not against Kershaw.

How is this for an idea? Give Burriss a start at short and lead off? He won’t be intimidated hitting lead off nor I think be too intimidated by the pennant pressure…

3. bigflavor said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Ford obviously doesn’t lack for confidence– and no at bats means no book on him yet. He could hit .400 and steal 10 bases in 10 days before anyone bothers to find the multiple holes in his swing…..
    I still say Bochy just goes with Rowand, at least for the first 2 or 3 games…..

4. DJLoo said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Bochy has been a little more decisive this year. I think Rowand stays in CF (strictly for defense) but drops to 8th in the order. Bums pitch 3 lefties…

5. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Denny, I don’t want o be a despot with my prize. You’re back in, just give me a break and go fuck Alex on Chucklefuck’s blog.

6. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I’ve been saying it won’t be Ford all day but hey why not throw Schierholtz out there in CF for a look? Didn’t he play CF in the Olympics when he somewhat famously blew up that dude at home? Plus he’s got some positive mojo going the last couple of days.

• DJLoo said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Mr. Mojo Risin?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Rider on The Storm…

7. Big Flavor said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Nate has a decent enough role right now coming off the bench to take over for WB #2 around the 8th inning. Plus, he can’t leadoff. With Torres out, this isn’t so much about who can play CF but more about who Bochy is cool with having leadoff

8. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:48 pm

If it is between Rowand, Ross and Ford then Shierholtz may as well get in the mix too. His OBP is better the 2 of the 3 with Ford being slightly better at nothing higher than AA.

9. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 7:54 pm

This is not the time for “what the fuck, can’t hurt”. Nate’s a RFer. I think he’s earned a start there but on the other hand, it’s working using him as he’s being used now.
    ROY: too close to call now
    Buster 353 AB 12 HR 57 RBI .321 BA .365 OBP .500 Slugging .865 OPS
    Heyward 454 AB 17 HR 68 RBI .286 BA .395 OBP .476 Slugging .871 OPS

Heyward has the jump start, and extra plate appearances. Buster has his position. Numbers are almost even all in all. Last 3 weeks decides it.

10. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I’m not saying “what the fuck, can’t hurt”. Dude has played center well enough to represent our country, has a good arm (well at least he can airmail it around the yard same as Rowand) and will get on base as good or better than the other options.

Heck, somebody has got to lead off. If they are going to go with a round robin approach to find the hot hand then Schierholtz should get a look too.

11. DJLoo said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:18 pm

What’s Harvey Kuenn up to these days?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Did you see the game today on TV? They threw up a stat for 200 strike out seasons in a row and Lincecum had tied Mathewson (I think) with 3. Marichal had 4. The other dude went all the way back to 1890.

• DJLoo said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I did see it dirt, and I was surprised Schmidt wasn’t on the list. Turns out he just missed with 196 in 2002. Fanned 208 & 251 the next 2 years…

• willied said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Good one. He did hit some lead off didn’t he?
      Wasn’t he mgr of the Brewers when they made the World Series? Isn’t that their one and only?

12. DJLoo said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm

CF defense is the key with the 2 buffalos on the flanks. Rowand stays in CF.
    Torres’ replacement doesn’t have to bat leadoff. Sanchez makes the most sense to me…

13. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:28 pm

He has never played Cf in the majors. It won’t start now. Actually, Fontenot might be the best to lead off but where to play him?

14. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Obviously, wnning and losing has to do with more than Aaron Rowand. Winning percentage when he starts: .589 Overall .563

15. DJLoo said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Not to diminish how great he’s been, but Yungo was in an 18-99 slide.

• Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm

We know that. Every hitter in the LU has had similar slumps, even Buster had an 8 for 52. You ARE trying to diminish it, it’s what you do. And Torres brings a LOT more to the table than anyone else even when he’s not hitting.

16. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 12, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Twin, I hear ya. Its a boring intellectual circle anyway. It will be Rowand. Maybe he and Pat capture some old Phillie mojo.

17. delmardennis said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm

As much as I rag on the sorry sumbitch, I really do consider him to be a “good Giant.” God, I hate that cliché. But it’s true, Rowand is a good Giant. The players like him, Bochy likes him and true be told, I like him. May not come across that way, but it’s true. Pencil him in atop the lineup card in Torres’ absence and wish the sorry sack of shit the best. I think that was a compliment.

“Leading off and playing center field for your San Francisco Giants, #33, Aaron Rowand.”

I’m gonna have a fucking field day with that shit. Go Rowand!

18. willied said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:14 pm

About halfway through the Mays bio, just where they hit SF. Great story, good read. It’s amazing to see how quickly he picked stuff up once he hit the bigs, and how he adjusted his fielding position based on pitches thrown by his own staff, etc.

I’m struck by how new everything has to be to Ford….he hasn’t seen any of these pitchers, either, nor none of the parks he would supposedly be playing in, nor any of the hitters, nor his own guys on the mound. With torres out, who would help this guy play CF. I think asking him to start right away is a bit much…maybe after a couple home games when he has had a chance to run around out there some, esp if he is surrounded by a pair of WBs.

19. delmardennis said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Just for your edification, it’s not, “what the fuck, can’t hurt”. It’s “why not, it can’t fucking hurt.”

If you’re gonna toss around Flapper clichés, you could at least have the common decency to get them right.

So, what do you guys think about batting Aaron Rowand lead off while Torres is sidelined?

“Why not, it can’t fucking hurt.”

20. JBat said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Snark said:

“Totally agree. Unfortunately, this is exactly the situation where Bonehead normally can’t bring himself to pull the trigger on a personnel move that is out of the ordinary. He’s comfortable playing a vet, even Rohand. I say he’s friggin afraid of something blowing up, rather settle for Rohand having a string of worthless 1 for 4 and 0 for 4 games than Ford maybe making a costly rookie defensive mistake. I say go for it…”

“Bonehead’s” team just went 7-3 on the biggest road trip of the year, and the Giants are smack-dab in the middle of a tight pennant race. How about you drop the bonehead bullshit?

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Apples and oranges. I already congatulated the squad. When Bonehead puts Ford in to leadoff, I’ll congratulate on him thinking out of the box…

21. unca chuck said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:18 pm

The beauty of baseball is, even this late, there’s tomorrow.

The 49ers lay the biggest shittiest game on us fans, and it lasts ALL FUCKING WEEK.

Next, the Niners have the defending Super Bowl champs.

Do I like our chances? 4 trips to the red zone got SF 6 points!

22. snarkk said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

The only “good Giant” is one that gets on base and has a good OBP. Rohand fails miserably in those categories, hence he is most decisively NOT a good Giant….

23. willied said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm

As James mentioned, Guillen’s slide has dropped his OBP back to his career avg., .320 (3 BBs in 80 ABs will do that to you). His OPS for SF is below .700, worse than FS. What he has done so far is hit well at home and vs. RHP. Nate actually hits LHP better than Guillen does too. See what happens, but I’d suspect OF by committee until Andres can play again.

24. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Of course it will b be OF by committee. Right now Burrell and Guillen will still get the most time, though. If I were to list the OFers in terms of most starts, as of tonight, it’s:
    1. Burrell
    2.Guillen
    3. Ross
    4. Rowand
    5. Nate
    6. Velez
    7. Ford
    But it’s fragile. One big night by a guy getting a spot start can change it all. Or another appendectomy..

25. mrmrbill said, on September 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Schulman tweets a suggestion that’s as good as any other: “Randy Moss wearing a Giants cap in postgame interview. Leadoff candidate? He has speed and can take over a game.”

26. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

From Baggs:
    “Aaron Rowand remains a perfectly adequate center fielder, but he can’t run down balls like Torres can. I’d expect Cody Ross and Rowand would split time in center; I’m pretty certain you won’t see Darren Ford doing anything other than pinch running.”
    But he also speculates that Colleti might take Waldis or Hinshaw and give us Posednik for two weeks…

27. delmardennis said, on September 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I’d give ’em Hinshaw, but not Waldis. Wild or not, there’s talent to be harnessed.
    Hinshaw? Asshole can’t even wear his hat straight. Never liked him for that fact alone.
    In order to be a major leaguer, you must first look like one. He looks like a cheap knockoff wannabe version of Eminem.

28. Michael said, on September 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Baggs also talks about a Ross/Schierholtz platoon in rght, sitting Guillen. I’ve seen Guillen’s at bats. He’s hit the ball a lot better than the numbers show.Missed three HRs the other night by total 10 feet. A guy on the Splash put up this LU, somebody here also liked Fruckie in the 1. It’s not the worst of the suggestions:

F. Sanchez 2B