A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

FIRST PLACE

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 17, 2010

I find it doubly satisfying that the game SF wins to put me in the $ on the *over* for the season win total is also the win that bumps us into first place for the first time….all season? I think that’s right. There was a post about Bochy winning MOTY and I think that’s hard to argue when you look at what he’s done with the bullpen this year and how he’s mixing and matching the LU at the most critical time of the year. How many other managers in the league in September have to pencil in a new leadoff hitter every day? Renteria? I’ll mark that one down as a successful string pulled……

I made my peace with Bochy a couple of weeks ago with a mea culpa post about him. He’s not a flashy guy and he’s never going to argue with an umpire the way I’d like, but when it comes to running a team for the long haul and making a ton of decisions with a lot of different moving parts, it’s impossible to argue with his results this year……..

Milwaukee series coming up. This is OUR time, I’ve been talking about these Padre/Rockies road trips for weeks. I’d like to be greedy and say let’s take all 3 from the Brewers, a team that is doing nothing other than trying to pad their individual stats at this point. Sweeping them is totally doable…….

Quick housekeeping note: The esteemed Matriarch of the blog, Lady FerretHead, somehow ended up in my spam filter with some perfectly legitimate posts that shouldn’t have been zapped. 1000 apologies. Sometimes the filter zaps royalty when it should be zapping rubbish……

1. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Blake K’s, of course. Up to Kemp.

2. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm

And Kemp grounds out. Inning over 7-4.

3. Macdog said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm

And the Brewers keep their tragic number at 2 as they try to stave off elimination.

4. snarkk said, on September 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Missed most of the game in between dinner, friends and a couple bottles of syrah. Snippets I did see early looked like the game was going to be a weird funkathon, and it apparently was. The defense I saw from Franchez and Uribe looked sick. Blew a chance to get some breathing room in front of Pads. Oh well, gotta take the next two…

5. Sportdude said, on September 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm

We are dead if the remaining teams we play have some Lefties lined up against us…

6. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm

They just rocked the lefty Lilly last night, ferchrissakes.

7. zumarust said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Not that it matters, but is TellItGoodbye the same person as LiveFree on the Splash? They both have that similar “the opponent always sucks, all losses are the Giants’ fault” kind of theme to them.

8. TedSpe said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I just got home from the game.
    I blame Bochy for the loss.
    He should have put in Gomez.

• zumarust said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Tonight’s game had no giggity.

9. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I doubt he’s LiveFree. LF is relentless, AB after AB. And we haven’t heard “career mediocrity” from the Teller…
    Just got word my unclle, Hal Scott ( Pop’s younger brother) , is in his last days. He was a sportscaster, too, and a legend in Twin Cities bars. He became a great friend.

10. TedSpe said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Sorry, Michael. Who’d he broadcast for?

• TedSpe said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:45 pm

That’s okay. I googled him. The Vikings.
      Again, sorry

• TedSpe said, on September 18, 2010 at 12:03 am

And Michael, you take it easy, okay? It’s life, chief. You of all people know this.
      Giants, baby. And what the fuck. Go Twins!!
      Childish, perhaps, but being childish in spirit, without being a fucking idiot, is what makes us keep going. You have to be an adult for the major shit. But if you abandon the child you abandon hope. The inevitable is what it is. So…
      In the words of a really horrible TV commercial from the ’70’s with Tito Fuentes, Chris Speier and…I don’t remember…Dave Radar?
      “Eat, drink and be merry. At the D.Q….. Dairy Queen”
      Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

• TedSpe said, on September 18, 2010 at 12:26 am

I couldn’t sleep. Because something was gnawing at me. I had the wrong commercial, It was:
        “It’s a whole lot more than a hamburger store, it’s a Hurfys (sic).”
        And now…I am at peace

11. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:50 pm

He didn’t do much network stuff, longtime sports anchor at WCCO.

12. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Hey now …not ALL of the losses are the Giants’ fault … but this one had their fingerprints all over it. Is there an argument?

It’s another academic discussion …. is there something wrong with looking at how you, as an athlete or a team, could have avoided a loss? Isn’t there always something you could have done better? I suppose some people like sort of thing, and others think it’s pointless.

I think the Kershaw game was one where he was going to beat almost anyone. But was that true of Wolf tonight? Nah. Can we legitimately criticize a team for a really bad approach to Wolf and some horseshoe defense with 14 games left? Maybe the surprise of it turned me too sour … I was convinced these guys were going to roll over the riffraff in professional fashion.

But I’ll grant you … this is all for today’s postgame only. Tomorrow, new game, and no more complaining about this one. The Giants are in first place in September for the first time in a looooong time. Don’t think I’m not soaking that in.

13. Nipper said, on September 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

Spe looked out the window with the neon sign blinking. 2AM and Spe couldn’t sleep. He was thinking a hamburger store and yes his stomach was rumbling away in the dark. Spe put his pants on one leg at a time of course and opened the squeeking door and down the hall without lights he went. Spe was on a mission.