A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

FIRST PLACE

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 17, 2010

I find it doubly satisfying that the game SF wins to put me in the $ on the *over* for the season win total is also the win that bumps us into first place for the first time….all season? I think that’s right. There was a post about Bochy winning MOTY and I think that’s hard to argue when you look at what he’s done with the bullpen this year and how he’s mixing and matching the LU at the most critical time of the year. How many other managers in the league in September have to pencil in a new leadoff hitter every day? Renteria? I’ll mark that one down as a successful string pulled……

I made my peace with Bochy a couple of weeks ago with a mea culpa post about him. He’s not a flashy guy and he’s never going to argue with an umpire the way I’d like, but when it comes to running a team for the long haul and making a ton of decisions with a lot of different moving parts, it’s impossible to argue with his results this year……..

Milwaukee series coming up. This is OUR time, I’ve been talking about these Padre/Rockies road trips for weeks. I’d like to be greedy and say let’s take all 3 from the Brewers, a team that is doing nothing other than trying to pad their individual stats at this point. Sweeping them is totally doable…….

Quick housekeeping note: The esteemed Matriarch of the blog, Lady FerretHead, somehow ended up in my spam filter with some perfectly legitimate posts that shouldn’t have been zapped. 1000 apologies. Sometimes the filter zaps royalty when it should be zapping rubbish……

1. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm

First I thought bunt was a bad idea considering the runners and the likelihood that Bum would be on the bases. He’s supposedly a decent hitter. Then I thought it was probably the best way to stay out of the DP. Never mind.

2. alleykat said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Just a horrible bunt by Bumgarner.Easy DP.

3. delmardennis said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:01 pm

You can add Guillen watching his hit at the plate while you’re at it. No excuse for him at least not trying for two. That whole goddamn inning was the shits.

• TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Maybe … but I admit, I called single when I saw it hit off the wall. Guillen is not a running kinda guy, obviously.

4. Craig said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Sitting here, tired, just got hit with the most frightening thought: what must huff’s thong smell like after a game? And is he not washing it like a baseball cap? Ugh. We could send all our troops home and replace them with a bunch of skillfully placed huff-used game thongs; just lay them around anywhere and probably win whatever war we’re fighting wherever in a jiffy…..

• Bozo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Wow BF, that is some weird shit. That is way past whack sock stuff.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm

go to bed fer feck sake

5. willied said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Wow what a nice pitch from bum, and he finally gets the call to K Hart.

Boz, I hear you. Pirates haven’t won since they dumped Bonds, huh?

But, if i had a kid coming up looked as good as Walker, I’d dump Franchez ass in NY minute.

• Bozo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

The Bonds jinx? Watch out Willie. all those Ruth fans will be coming atcha with an asterisk.

6. eddacker415 said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

did Kuiper just say ‘Huff takes a bender for a strike’?
    I think I have done that

7. EdGdsnInExile said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

One thing I notice about our hitters, especially as the season has worn on–and tightened–is they are pressing. This is more usual than unusual, especially with teams that are young or who haven’t had to play for anything in a while. Some hitters, like Pablo, tend to exaggerate it when they are under intense scrutiny. Everyone is trying TOO hard, not so much to be a hero, but to do something. And as a fan, when I see the Pads pounded and the Dodgers competing for once, I REALLY want our guys to hit and win against this lesser team. But I’m going to try to send ‘do your thing’, ‘its all good’ sorts of vibes their way–and let Boche deal with it if they screw it up!

• eddacker415 said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm

which is something I wonder: do you go for all you got or do you take the sac fly?

8. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Will someone tell Braun it’s Yom Kippur?

9. willied said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

With my socks on and adding up the numbers, it looks like Bum threw 140 innings last season btw minors and SF. So far, 175 (82 Fresneck 93 SF)….so that’s about 30% increase. Hmmmmn…..

• xootsuit said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

If I recall correctly, Bum’s FB has a couple mph up right now over what he threw at the end of last season, too.

10. JBat said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Wow, Mat Latos got shelled tonight. 1.1 IP 8 earned.

11. delmardennis said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Lowest ERA for September? That’s an easy one, 1.58. Second lowest? Goddamn Brewers at 2.95

And I’ve had it with the orange jersey bullshit. The magic has worn off. Bust out the black ones from ST. It’s do or die time anyway. Might as well be dressed for the occasion should it arise.

12. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Fruckie Suckie.

13. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Rentie Too, Jesus Christ, boyz

14. alleykat said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Damm it Freddy put some mustard on that throw!.Just cost us a run!

15. JBat said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I see Randy Wolf is as tough as ever on the G’s.

• TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Well, that was literally unearned, no matter what the stats say.

16. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Any self respecting ump calls that first pitch a strike just for the batter running out of the strike zone. It was sure as hell close enough to call

17. delmardennis said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm

That shit has got to be turned by the runt and/or Huff. Bad throw and no help with the scoop. Now WTF was that? Renteria gets no outs. This shit is going south.
    Fucking orange jerseys.

18. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:23 pm

That’s a great fucking inning for MadBum. We win now.

19. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Bum is so composed…

20. bigflavor said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:24 pm

hey, I didn’t say it wasn’t some weird shit. I just started trippin out on the thong and the….ugh…smell….and all of a sudden……I dunno, I kinda blacked out after that. Continue on.,…..

21. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm

So 5 innings, and Bum has gotten what, 18 outs!? 🙂

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I was pulling a Craig and intuiting the game from comments here. Sheeesh. Reading these posts, you’d think we were down 16-0.

23. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Every infielder has fucked up on defense. It’s a frigging miracle it’s just 2-0..

24. JBat said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

The old rally killer. Rox up, G’s down. Time to get this shit going.

25. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I guess Villalona wears orange every day…

26. xootsuit said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Bum is one tough-minded kid. And I still think he looks ready to make every start from here to early Nov. with his best stuff.

27. Craig said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I’m not near a computer but can one of u guys look up the last time we scored a run when bum was actually pitching in a game? It’s like 30 innings right? Or am I still in a fog from the thong trip?

28. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Pitcher who averages almost 17 pitches per inning getting by with 10 per tonight … so is he tough on the Giants, or are they just tough on themselves tonight?

29. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Braun’s OPS is 130 points higher vs. righties, unless I can’t read (which is possible)

30. alleykat said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm

It’s not like Bum got hit real hard.And the D cost him both runs.But the pitch count did him in.Still a good job with bad luck.

• TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I believe I’da still had him try to get out of the inning with one more hitter.

31. Bozo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm

OK, were the guys out doing a serious party last night? If I’m Bum, I’m bummed.

32. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm

This ump is a complete piece of shit!!

33. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Don’t look, Denny…

34. delmardennis said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I think Wolf’s pitch count is about negative 4.

35. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Rowand’s mind is gone.

36. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:45 pm

OK, now that’s starting to be stupid … 3 pitches, 2 outs.

37. xootsuit said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:47 pm

So we’ll all cheerfully welcome Pablo back to 3B tomorrow night? (Gallardo’s a righty.) Man, this game is the opposite of last night.

38. delmardennis said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Only one error thus far in the box score, but our defense has stunk up the joint tonight.

39. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm

what’s the deal with Runzler anyway? is he on the roster? if not, why not? [sounds like an essay question]

40. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Fucking Uribe can’t even get a tag down.

41. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Dodgers clawing back against the Rockies. But it won’t last.

42. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm

You know, we’re told about Milwaukee’s offense, but that’s 4 pretty bad hitters at the bottom of the order. If you keep them in the park, you should win.

43. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm

He and Fruckie have been just awful tonight.

44. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Gomez may have been safe, but the umpire had no idea from where he was … and on the move, I might add.

45. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Lopez has almost made Jeremy an Aff-terthought.
    Is Runzler still on this team?
    Over the winter, a couple of people here (not me) were trading Wilson and making Runzler the closer. Yikes!

46. Craig said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Uribe’s defense tonight reminds me of brenly’s 4 error game sans the 4 errors. He’s been abysmal. Maybe he wins it with his bat. His head is somewhere else right now though….

47. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Awful terrible shit.

48. freshtodef80 said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm

My God!!

49. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Well, that was good “around the horn” practice.
    What a fuckin’ display.

50. delmardennis said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:01 pm

It’s a motherfucking disease tonight. Goddamn bocce ball tournament taking place.

51. Craig said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Loo. I thought runzler could be the heir to the throne, not take over the job in 2010. Obviously I was way off. And trading Wilson would have been equally idiotic as trading dirrrrty. I don’t have a problem admitting when I’m wrong.

52. xootsuit said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Little League execution at the start of the fucking season.

53. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Ought to be 13-0.

54. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Could Jeremy had thrown it any harder? What was he, about 40 yards away?

Oh well … if the Giants had a decent offensive plan and had Wolf out of the game, they’d have a decent shot. You might swing at the first strike when you have a control pitcher or someone with strikeout stuff. Wolf is neither.

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm

not watching…what the heck is the defense’s problem? too much fog? not enough? too much bong? not enough?

56. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm

40 feet I meant

57. alleykat said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Fucking Sanchez Defense is just as bad as Uribe tonight.He makes the DP throw they don’t score.He ketches Ross throw to second and that runners out as well and they don’t score.

58. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

at this rate, Mr. Belvidere can get our guys out

59. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

How many DPs has Affeldt induced this year? Amazing how much him and Sandoval have fallen off.

60. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Well, he got 3 ground balls there

61. unca chuck said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Yeeesh. What a deflating game.

The G’s should be down by 7, though, so there’s a little hope.

Keep it within 3 and they’ll get Hoffman.

62. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Did Braun always have such a pronounced uppercut? He looks like fuckin’ Kingman…

63. DJLoo said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:21 pm

The pelican says it all…

64. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Rohlinger and not Pablo? That’s just wrong.

• TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I think swinging 2-0 with the tying run on deck was worse. But either way

• Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Down 3, Ross had to take at least 1 after 2-0. I agree.

65. unca chuck said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Any of these runs earned?

66. alleykat said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I agree Tell …Give yourself one crack to get the tying run on base,Swinging 2-0 down three is just dumb.

• TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Im guessing no one has a take sign any more … but that was the place for one.

This latest pitching change brought to you by Overmanagers Anonymous

67. unca chuck said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Gomez!?!?!?

68. JBat said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:34 pm

And here come the Rockies. What a let down after the Dodger series.

69. unca chuck said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Fucking Dogs. 7-4 rox…

70. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm

For the 2435th time,though: settle down. Part of the price you pay for the power they added is the erratic offense. Too many nervous nellies here.

• TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Michael, I know you’re right … but even hackers can make a guy work a little bit. Just not fun to watch, so nothing else to do but bitch about the Giants letting a pitcher do to them what no other team has allowed him to do to them FOR YEARS … even those with more power. When you beat yourself, you beat yourself. I think it’s fair enough to say.

71. unca chuck said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Panda with the PH granny?

Sure, it’ll happen…

72. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Edgar, a HR is no better than a walk now. Team wide idiocy and ineptitude tonight. And no Panda to blame.

73. unca chuck said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, biscuits…

I just hope they keep up with the lose-the1st-game-of-the-series-and-win-the-next-two deal…..

74. Michael said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Bases loaded for the Bums, down 3.

75. TellItGoodbye said, on September 17, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Just don’t tell me how “masterful” Wolf was.

And just for an academic discussion … DOES any team have a take sign in today’s game?