A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Home Run or No Run

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 23, 2010

If you talk with little kids or people that don’t know anything about baseball, you’ll see that they mistakenly think the only way runs are scored in baseball is by way of the home run. It seems the Giants are taking the same approach in this stretch run. I did a quick post last night about the 45 inning thing but I was shocked when I looked at the entire month of September.

When you look at how many runs were produced by position players with hits other than a home run, it will blow your mind…

9/1: Fontenot basehit produces 1 run

9/2: Posey hit produces 2 runs

9/4: 0 runs produced by a basehit (this was the 4 bomb LA win)

9/5: 0 runs produced by a basehit

9/6: 0 runs produced by a basehit during regulation. Nate tripled in the 12th to score two though

9/7: 1 hit for 1 RBI

9/8: 0 runs produced by a basehit

9/9: 1 hit for 1 RBI

9/10: 0 runs produced by a basehit

9/11: 0 runs produced by a basehit

9/12: 0 runs produced by a basehit (timmy had 2 rbi’s but I’m only looking at the pos players)

9/14: 0 runs produced by a basehit

9/15: 1 hit for 1 RBI

9/16: this was the big *explosion*– Posey had 1 hit for an RBI and Franchez had a hit for 2 rbi’s. 3 total for game

9/17: 0

9/18: 0

9/19: 0

9/21: 0

9/22: 0

So, if you don’t count Nate’s triple (and I’m not going to, it was the 12 inning and we hadn’t produced a run in the first 11 innings), by my count the Giants have 7 non-HR basehits in 19 September games for a total of 9 RBI’s. My mind is just blown by this utter offensive failure at the plate. In fact, all our minds should be collectively blown by this. We’re talking about almost a complete breakdown of one of the cornerstones of the game: a clean base hit for an RBI. 7 hits in the entire month for 9 rbi’s. And 3 of the 9 RBI’s came in the first 2 days of the month! And I’m not going back and checking but i THINK the only non-HR rbi’s came from exactly 3 players: Posey, Franchez and Fontenot. What. World. Is. This….

1. Big Giggity said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:06 pm

If rowand isn’t on the roster why couldn’t ford be on it? He’d be infinitely more valuable as a secret weapon late inning guy

2. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm

With tonight’s 13 runs on 19 hits, the Giants just passed the Chicago Cubs for 9th in Rs and 7th in Hs. Four dingers for a total of 143 just eclipsed both the Cubbies and the Cards for 6th in that category. Hopefully, the lumber will remain limber in the Humidor house.

3. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Again, I’m not being an advocate necessarily. You guys have several dead messengers this year. One thing for sure: if Rowand isn’t on the PS roster, he’s gone. But if it got down to Rowand OR someone, Velez is in front of Ford.

4. snarkk said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I’m not saying Ford should be on the PS roster, but he should have gotten an AB tonite. That’s just baloney that he didn’t in a blowout of this proportion. Rohand should not be on the PS roster, he’s useless. I’d take Velez over him. The team needed one like this. Hope this takes the pressure off, and they can head into Denver with a more relaxed hitting approach. Awesome win…

5. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm

According to APs game coverage, the Giants pitching staff just set a modern Major League record for giving up three or fewer runs in 17 consecutive games. If the lumberyard continues a performance even half as potent as tonight’s eruption over the next 9 games this team could get a lot of homefield advantage in the PS.

Congratulations to the staff. May they continue to expand that record over the next 9 and then go on to better it next year.

6. DJLoo said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Seems like we haven’t heard the name “Rags” around here all year.
    No credit, no blame, no nuthin’.

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Uhm…you were away for a while.
      Rags’ name was spoken in vain here.
      Oh yes.
      Spoken in vain

7. DJLoo said, on September 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm

It could come down to Rowand or a reliever…

8. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:07 pm

It would seem that 10 pitchers should be plenty for the postseason. So Lincecum,Cain, Sanchez, Zits, Wilson,Romo, Lopez, Ramirez, Affeldt, Casilla is my guess.
    Then it’s Posey, Huff, Sanchez, Uribe, Sandoval, Renteria, Fontenot, Burrell, Torres, Ross, Guillen, Schierholtz, Rowand, Ishikawa, Whiteside. Leaving Velez, Ford, Burriss, Rohlinger out.

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:13 pm

That reads like two of the worse law firms ever established.
      Rowand in Burriss out?
      Please to explain? Some kind of defense thing?

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Wait. Don’t answer that. I mixed up Burrell and Burriss. I agree with your assumption
        GOD DAMN YOU GUYS WHO’S NAMES START WITH BU AND HAVE THEIR 3,4,6,7 LETTERS DOUBLED!!

• vrrbrcrrr said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm

…yes, that looks about right.

9. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Gibson pulled Kennedy after 4. So a two run lead is entrusted to the DBack pen. The’d better score some more…
    Dodgers take lead over SD, 2-1.

10. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I have thought that different players are this club’s MVP: Torres, Huff, Posey, Cain but when I think of an all around leader with performance and clubhouse presence I think Uribe. Teeing off for the second HR today was fudge on the sunday, gravy on the taters, red sauce on the burrito. Where would this club be without this dude?

Renteria crash and burn. Who steps in? Uribe!
    Sandoval can’t hit his ahem, weight? Who fills the void? Uribe!
    If SF needs a huge hit to slam the door on the dodger who’s your man? Uribe!

He may be hitting .250 but 22 HR and 83 RBI? That is some loud thump in that bat. Dude is the FUCKING MAN.

Viva Uribe!!!

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I think you’re still high off the resin of today’s game. Don’t get me wrong, Uribe was a *huge* asset but…Club MVP for the year? Not for me. The pitching staff (less Zito), Torres, Posey, Huff…

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Looks down that bench and where else are you getting the HR and RBIs to fill the Sandoval void? Dude has been nails.

• vrrbrcrrr said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm

…the pitching staff PLUS Zito.

11. DJLoo said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I’d be a little surprised if they scaled down to 10 pitchers considering that they’ve been as high as 13. Would be nice to have Bum available if Zito is floundering early. Maybe bring him in before a game gets out of hand. In the playoffs, you can’t pack it in down 4-0 in the 3rd inning.

12. alleykat said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Agree Loo…Nothin to complain about Rags.Done a marvelous job with this staff all year.He get’s a pass on Wellemeyer,no pitching coach could help that stiff.

As far as the Postseason roster assuming Torres will be healthy here’s how i see it possibly shaking out

C Posey,Whiteside
    2B Sanchez
    1B Huff,Ishi
    SS Uribe,Renteria
    3B Sandoval
    LF Burrell,Ross
    CF Torres
    RF Guillen,Schierholtz
    SP Lincecum,Cain,Zito, Sanchez
    RP Wilson,Romo,Ramirez, Casilla,Lopez ,Affeldt,Ray, Bumgarner

Now there’s 25 right there.Without Rowand or Fontenot, so i guess you could tweak the re levers down Ray for Rowand and Fontenot for Bumgarner?But i doub’t Bochy would go with just 10 pitchers.Should be interesting who he fucks over.

13. DJLoo said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

What makes a King out of a slave? Uribe
    What makes the flag on the mast wave? Uribe

14. Big Giggity said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Velez/Ford, whatever. It would be Velez–and that would be fine with me. Ford can’t even get an at bat in a 13 million to nuthin blow out. But I think it’s totally reasonable for Rowand to get left off unless there’s something contractual we don’t know about.

15. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I don’t have a problem leaving him off, I just don’t see them doing it.

16. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm

7-2 AZ, 5th.

17. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:54 pm

It’s Torres, Huff, Posey, Wilson, Uribe. I don’t even give a shit about what order anymore…

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I never did

18. max808 said, on September 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Postseason, you go with the experience. Somewhere down the line I could see Rowand getting a big hit and/or making a key catch. Velez? He’s far more likely to do something utterly fucking stupid.

19. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Latos is outta the game for the Dagos and the Dodgers got a run walked in and now lead 3-1 after six. Arizona lead over Colorado is now 8-2. Maybe there is a god and she doesn’t hate the Giants after all (but loves torture).

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Aaaah.
      But here’s what bothers me.
      Rockies can’t sustain toooooo long of a losing streak.
      I have no stats to back that up. But…
      I kinda hope they win

20. Unca Chuck said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Nawww. Other teams losing is always good.

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

It’s kinda funny. When the Giants were ahead 10 zip. I got bored
      I, for some reason…don’t like laughers
      They bore me
      Granted..it’s baseball and anything can happen and there’s no way I wiuld leave the game but…
      laughers bore me

• Unca Chuck said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Boring is good right about now . . .

21. Unca Chuck said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm

That’s what Churchill said, anyway . . .

22. wswinb4igo said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Congrats on the huge win…I otta shame the offense more I guess…I wouldn’t talk of PS rosters until it’s time…but I will say some of you will be surprised, and that Bum will be on it with a PS of 11….Kat…Ray has no chance of being on it. That’s all I’ll say until it’s time.

• TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Bum, if he pitches in the PS…will be a reliever

23. Unca Chuck said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Rox coming back. 8-6 now

24. max808 said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Dbacks right back with a HR. Ha ha…Rocks pen is a mess.

25. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Kuo pitching for the Dodgers in the 9th. Pads have 2 outs left.

26. snarkk said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I, too don’t want to jinx things with talk of PO rosters, but I’d take Velez over Rohand if it came down to those two, simply because of speed. Ross is already a better Rohand. Winning a playoff game or series could very well depend on one run scoring from first on a double or long single, or from second on a hard single to right, or a short sac fly, etc. Literally, a run could score or not because of an extra step of a PRunner. The only one available with that speed is Velez, maybe Burriss. Depending on health of infielders, maybe Burriss is the speed guy to take, or even take Fontenot if Rent’s elbow is in the tank…

27. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Back in first.

28. wswinb4igo said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

1st again..

29. max808 said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Velez is always a big threat to get picked off.

30. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Fontenot is already in, ferchrissakes. Again, the only way Rowand isn’t on the roster is if they plan to release him.

31. max808 said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm

The dreaded first place. Hope we score some runs tomorrow night.

32. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Second place Dagos all Bummed out tonight.

33. Unca Chuck said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Let’s hope they start scoring runs when they are IN 1st place.

34. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Heilman shuts down the Rox in the 8th. 9-6 Arizona with 3 outs to go when the 9th rolls in.

35. TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

36. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

If you want the speed guy: Velez, Burriss, or Ford, pray they go with 10 pitchers. And there’s not a goddamn reason in the world they need more than 6 relievers.

37. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Octavio Do Tell gives up a dinger to Young in the bottom of the 8th (thanks, Dogs) giving the Snakes a 10-6 lead. Lookin good in the desert. Colorado BP going down in flames.

38. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Are you watching it on the HTPC, Stix? How are you liking it?

39. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Jesus, Heilman walks the first two in the 9th.

40. TedSpe said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Fuck
    After signing off here, I checked out the Splash.
    Made an ass out of myself. Probably get myself banned
    I….FUCKING..HATE..THE..SPLASH
    Assholes
    ‘night.
    Really, huh? Who gives a fuck?
    Night

• vrrbrcrrr said, on September 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

…yes, you did make a fool of yourself over on the Splash ~ everyone was having a good time celebrating the win, ‘cept you, Ted… but you didn’t say anything that would get you banned.

41. delmardennis said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm

You guys talkin’ post-season rosters, I could just come through your monitors and just kicked you in the goddamn teeth with my hoof. Fucking fuckwads the whole lot of ya.

The one and only one thing that I’ll discuss about the post-season is the dates. According to what I’ve seen, we’d (no jinx, God strike me dead if I do) only need three starters in the NLDS. And starters #1 and 2 would each have 4 days each to pitch again in games 4 and 5 respectively. Can anyone confirm or deny please?

I’m about ready to donkey punch the goddamn Arz. pen. Throw strikes!

42. max808 said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Damn, looks like another Rocky comeback.

43. freshtodef80 said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

D-Backs baseball ………. torture!

44. Macdog said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Finally!

45. Michael said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Whew… 10-9

46. wswinb4igo said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm

rox lose..heartbreaker not

47. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Rocky Racoon, came into the room, only to end up with a heartbreak.

48. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Michael; Nope, i was just following the Yahoo coverage tonight. No Kostaz after three or four innings, so it got shut down for the evening. Damn! I’d gotten used to that site. Still haven’t found the time to really explore the system. It’s mostly a matter of attempting to overlay a 66 yr old hard-drive with contemporary software. As days shorten and nights get longer there will be more time for me to arc up that learning curve. Funny thing. When i’ve been able to get the video the Giants have won almost all the games. So i’ve got a really good feeling about the system on that account.

49. delmardennis said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Loo’s Melvin Mora goes downing swinging. If that little shit woulda got the GW hit…
    “There Will Be Blood.” My $9.99 Ginsu Slicer can go back into it’s sheath…for tonight anyway.

• delmardennis said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Goes “downing?” Where’s Brian Downing these days? He never had a 100 RBI season, not once.
      I woulda lost bet. His career OPS was under .800. strike two. Nicknamed “The Incredible Hulk” That’s strike three on general principles.

50. xootsuit said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm

So whattya think? Willl Lincecum win the Captain Morgan award for best pirate hair?

51. stixwiz said, on September 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Disillusioned Rox are gonna have a long flight from Phoenix to Denver. CarGo couldn’t Salami the second time around and somehow all that desert heat cooled off Tulo’s timber. Go figure. 3.5 game lead over those guys now. Their best pitcher going into the series tomorrow night will be Chacin. He’s up against Timmy. Giants pretty much need to take at least one in Denver. Rox MUST take all three to be 1/2 game behind SF. Dagos factor in somewhere in between.

52. xootsuit said, on September 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Watching the news here, the sliver of time they give the sportscaster now reminds me of life before the internet, before cable for that matter. Remember those days? If you missed the game, you could see all the highlights and catch up on all of the other relevant wins and losses in 10 minutes. Now what do the sports segments get? 1 minute? 2 minutes? Still, on a night like tonight, even two minutes on the WD race was cool.