A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Guest Author For Game 3….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 10, 2010

“STIX” posted this last night (see below).  I thought it was too good for the POTD so I am putting it here. I read it several times. It reminded me of why I love this team so much. The history, the players—over all these years they’ve helped form indelible moments in my memory. Stix was out here in ’89, I was up in Portland, Oregon going to school. Our passions for this team were rock solid then as they are now. Now he’s living a million miles away and I’m back in the bay Area–still with a passion for this team that couldn’t be extinguished with any known element. His post made me wonder where all of you were in ’89. And here it is, 2010, and we’ve found a space to share our passion for our team with something other than the walls of the room we watch the games in….

The players from ’89 are gone, and as he suggested, Will Clark et al ain’t coming into that clubhouse to save them. And who would want them to? THESE our the guys who created this magical year– The Bat, Dirrrrrty, Panda, Timmy, Cain, Bee-Weeezy, Long-thong (I just made that up), Torres, Rent, Uribe, etc–THIS is your team. And you always support your team (unless you’re Jose Guillen). I really have no idea or feeling of what’s going to happen with the rest of this series. But I’m not going to spend a second ‘doomin it up or second guessing what Bochy might have done or what the unknown outcome of that fantasy move would have been. I’m enjoying every second of this and when it’s all over, win or lose, the bond and connection I have to this team and it’s history will be at it’s peak……..

“stixwiz said, on October 9, 2010 at 6:10 pm (Edit)

Let’s go back 21 years. Twenty-one is legal for most anything, isn’t it? I was still out there in and outta the System doing antiques road shows, mostly at shopping malls, sometimes lahdedah paid admission shows where i usually wore a camelhair sportjacket, suitable headwear and a late 50′s Zuni turquoise, silver and bearclaw bolo. Last Giants game i took in personally was on a mid-summer chilly, leatherjacket evening at the Stick. In a couple days i’d be set up at an exhibition at the Cow Palace.

1989. Watched the Giants lose to the Phillies and Terry Mulholland. Mid September somewhere. Stuck in the craw a bit as Philadelphia had got him via a trade with SF, recently enough that bodies were still warm. Can’t honestly remember who took the mound for the hometeam that night. But i do think the final was something like 4-2. Giants recovered from that setback and featuring pitchers like Big Daddy Rick Reuschel and Caveman Don along with Will the Thrill and a pretty decent supporting cast; remained Best in the West, went on to cop the Pennant and headed into the World Series.

By then i was down the road, doing a spate of shows in SoCal and then heading back to the Northwoods of Minnesota, where my connexion to the game was by way of radio.

Earthquake.

Imagine that tomorrow night at the ChopShop accessed by the busiest air terminal in the country, Reuschel or Robinson or perhaps Livan Hernandez of 8 years ago was on the mound for the Giants facing Tim Hudson……or maybe even a certain former rotation-mate from their days across the Bay would have had the call against Atlanta’s starter. Not a very pretty prospect in my estimation ~~ unless the Giants lineup contained some of the guys from the ’89 and ’02 squads who had magically walked into a time machine back in the day and emerged at #24 Willie Mays Plaza in uniform and ready to have at their 93-model tormentors.

Well, that ain’t gonna happen. It’s a fantasy. What is real is more a matter of who is real. Scheduled starter for San Francisco has earned himself the nickname of “Dirrrty”. There is some argument over the number of “r”s in the appellation, but general agreement around the league is that the snappy loogie has gone from a great stuff prospect with a ways to go, to an emerging ace who gives up fewer base hits per inning than any other hurler in The Show. Name is Sanchez. Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez of the Padres bulletin board. The pitcher who won the wild, wild West.

1. Craig said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm

My body just feels like i had some kind of total body orgasm right then

• ferrethead said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Flav – you can ask my neighbor, I’m sure that’s exactly what I just sounded like! ;-D

2. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm

What did Tim yell out?

• zumarust said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Something that started with F.

3. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

This IS fuckin Torture! Huff, you just earned your entire season’s salary right there. Unfrigginreal….

4. Craig said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Great call on that hit by miller on the radio, btw

5. Michael said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Travis isn’t fast but he’s a very good base runner. Now ROY can bring it all home…

6. Kevin said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Timmy, into it big time, just like us fans!! I like it!!

7. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Giants baseball is water board torture . . .

8. tizzle said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:43 pm

One thing that I think gets overlooked when people talk about what makes this team special this year..how many GREAT ABs has Ishi put up in pinch hitting situations this year? Taking that walk was huge, and not too surprising

9. Billy said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:43 pm

i still think romo and bochy should be forced to battle eachother with dull knives.

10. Billy said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:43 pm

…to the death.

11. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Romo is now Huff’s biatch for the foreseeable future….

12. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Conrad is God.

13. tizzle said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I will say this though. I haven’t been a big fan of Nate coming in for pat in 6th/7th innings lately. We need Pat’s bat too much in critical spots.

14. wswinb4igo said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

oph my…poor kid..not!

15. zumarust said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Conrad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Conrad is the Lord thy motherfucking God. Thank you Jesus.

17. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

How funny thathis first name is Brooks!

18. Billy said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm

i’m just glad the 2b of the braves is not wearing black and orange. I almost feel sorry for that dude.

19. Macdog said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

What a big errah!

20. freshtodef80 said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Buckner Play.

21. Kevin said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Visions of??? I can’t think of the guys name, world series playing first base??

22. James said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

It worked FH!!!!!!

23. willied said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I will never doubt the power of Ms. ferret again.

24. Craig said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Conrad. Wow. They should put him on suicide watch and/0r sone kind of police protection program

25. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thank God we got that run . . . and hopefully God didn’t hear or was busy somewhere else when delmardennis cussed him out.

26. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Get some more, stomp on their necks!!!!

27. Michael said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’m with Ferret, I feel so so so sorry for Brooks. Damn…just awful. Poor guy.
    🙂

28. zumarust said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Ha! Farnsworth and Nate both have the same douche-bag GQ stubble.

29. James said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I set the neighbor’s dog off with my “Score, you motherfucker!” exhortation on Huff’s hit. He hasn’t shut up yet.

30. Craig said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Conrad shouldn’t even be playing 2nd, he’s been put in a tough position and is getting fucked for it. Not his fault

31. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Of course the Braves have the heart of the order up. No matter. Get ‘er done BW…

32. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:52 pm

More like Leon Durham than Buckner.

33. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

It all started with #10 on 10/10/10. Time for Wilson to redeem himself. End this motherfucking godforsaken shit. I literally can’t handle it.

34. wswinb4igo said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

ironic… save the win for Romo

35. Kevin said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Is he playing out of position??

36. James said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Hold the Donnie Moore sentiments until *after* Wilson nails it down.

37. Kevin said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm

If he is yeah he should not be blamed, but if he is an infielder then I am sorry but he has to make those plays!!

38. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Sit your worthless POS ass down. You suck.

• delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Ditto to Lee.

39. tizzle said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I love the table TBS that says Wilson has “more guts than stuff”. Kid’s got a ton of guts no doubt, but what do you call a 90 mph slider??? Junkball?

40. stixwiz said, on October 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Was outside doing homestead chores after the double Romo. Come in to find Ishi walk + Huff the Magic Dragon + Braves’ defense =

41. willied said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm

That’s the back up C as PR…notice Posey is setting up down and away..it’ll take 3 more of those to tie it.

42. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

End Game.

43. max808 said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Stick those tomahawks UP YOUR ARSE!

44. ferrethead said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Whew – Fuckin’ – Hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I breathe now?!?!?!

45. Craig said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Fuck my motherfucking ass YES!!!!

46. wswinb4igo said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

congrats….FUCK YEA

47. Macdog said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

VIC-TO-RY!

48. freshtodef80 said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

49. Michael said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

We’ll take it. Ishi, Fruckie, Huff, Conrad: drinks are on Jack Crabby.

50. Billy said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

‘phew. instant classic.

51. tizzle said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Romo with the win!

52. willied said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

And it ain’t gonna happen. What a W! Bum tmw to close it out and send Broderick Crawford off into the sunset.
    How many times have braves hitters K’d this series so far?

53. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I feel like hugging somebody. Even Oracle. WTF did I just say?… Unfuckinbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

54. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I was right, God was in Afghanistan or some other Islamic country when his name was used in vain here.

• delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm

And I’ll use it again and again and again if it gets us a W.

55. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm

PsOTG? Sanchee #1. Franchez and Huff for those 2 out 9th inning clutch hits…

56. giant head said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm

My 11-year old over the last 3 or so hours just learned what it means to be a Giants fan!!!!

• ferrethead said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Good thing your kid wasn’t watching over here – they would have learned a whole new vocabulary – which generally comes with being a fan this year.

Glad to know you’re raising your kid right!!!

• giant head said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I had to point out to him Lincecum’s verbal, “Fuck Yes, Shut Up” from the dugout…classic Giants moment!

57. xootsuit said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Wow. I really didn’t expect them pull that one out. Sanchez sure deserved it.

As to our Atl friend at 2B, can you imagine having the name Brooks and playing like that?

58. slo_roll said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm

what a fucking game: the starting pitching on this team are unbelievable. freddy, huff-daddy even ishi came up huge. that hr should have ripped the guts out of them and the braves ( with huge hand from conrad ) gave it back….wow. hope we see madison tommorrow and it is good that at the least there will be a game 5 in s.f. braves are major scrappers and despite no closer, injuries and players playing where they shouldn’t be – its a struggle here.

59. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm

This game today is why baseball is my favorite game for life. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, you haven’t….

60. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I vote for Bumgarner tomorrow. Maybe Flav can put up a quick poll before it’s announced.

61. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Bum tomorrow. Got to. At worst, you’ve got Timmy at home on full rest to close it out. At best, Timmy is fully rested to start against (probably) the Phills…

62. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Henry and Baggs tweet it will be Madison.

63. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Ditto on Bum . . . You use Lincecum when are backs are against the wall or his regular start (whichever comes first).

64. Michael said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm

WTF is “even Ishi”? His walk got it going. HUGE fucking AB and great jump on Huff’s hit. I guarantee that most of you thought he’d be out. Scored standing up.

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm

The throw was way up the first base line. If the throw is at the plate, it’s a close play. Props to Ishi for the walk, no doubt…

65. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm

our*

66. Bozo said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Almost a team loss, turns into a team win.
    WTG GIANTS

67. Kevin said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I am glad it is Bum!! the Giants need Tim rested and ready to go if needed. Also gets him extra rest if the Giants win tomorrow. Who wants to see Romo in tomorrow??

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Romo is now Huff AND Conrad’s biatch….

68. slo_roll said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Yeah I agree it was a huge moment in the game – maybe i shouldn’t have used the “even ishi” statement – unfortunately I had radio only today but kruk and kuip both said he was motoring… ishikawa has had some big moments this year

69. giant head said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Romo is back in the doghouse as far as I am concerned with any game on the line…glad to see the Bum goes tomorrow, has to be him…we will win tomorrow!

Lowest starter era in division playoff history so far…keep it going Bum!

70. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Romo sucks, but Bochy should’ve known that was a bad match-up. To Romo’s minimal credit, he at least hung in there and retired the side after the homer.
    BTW, does Romo shower after a game, or does he just lick himself clean?

71. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:32 pm

GH, the “key” phrase is, “. . . with any game on the line.” Good point.

He will be used again (if the Giants are still in the playoffs going forward), but it will likely be in a non-critical situation(s) to re-build his confidence . . . That’s what I like about Botchy – he doesn’t seem to carry a resentment or other non-sensical attitude when making his line-up or in-game substitutions.

72. stixwiz said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Got people- interrupted again with two outs in the ninth and BW on the mound. So i come back to the puter and find out what i was anticipating was correct. Big “W”. I think BW’s much better when he’s not overly rested. As for our “winning” pitcher, i do wish there were some discretion on the part of scorekeepers when it comes to one pitcher deserving the win more than another. Clearly, Drrrrty did everything i expected of him in my posting last night. Although the game ultimately came out positive with kudos to Ishi, Franchez and Huff the Magic Dragon + Braves’ D.; i do believe that a certain unnamed Mgr. lost my etheric vote for MOY with that Double Romo he ordered up.

But the stars were shining on the Giants there at the ChopShop. At the ultimate moment these guys proved that they too, can mount a rally and provide sufficient margin for the best closer in baseball. Wilson being called in as a six-out fireman and then getting “blessed” with a bad throw from third may have lost him his edge briefly last night. Both on that lamentable evening and tonight, however, he proved his 9th inning mettle.

Now the momentum has switched once again in this nail-biting series of pitching excellence. The Braves just got beat at their own game in their own yard. Who do they have on the mound tomorrow? Can’t remember the guy’s name off hand. It isn’t that scared kid the Giants ran up against the LaBumbos in the last game of the 93′ season. Maybe his distant cousin?
    Giants counter with a 21 year-old Tarheel with a kinda weird name. They tend to put backnames in as frontnames down there in the South. Don’t know if there were any members of James Madison’s direct or collateral descendants in the kid’s family tree. Only one state away, so it could be so. Now Bumgarner is definitely a southern-fried corruption of a very meaningful German or possibly Dutch name “Baumgartner”. Literally, it says “tree-gardener” or as translated: Orchardist. Tomorrow he’s due to cook up some peach marmalade over there at the ChopShop, just down the holler from Peachtree Street.

Harvest Moon is beginning to wax into a Black and Orange October once again.

73. delmardennis said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Any chance Conrad still starts tomorrow? I’ll make that my #1 prayer for the evening.

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm

There ya go Den . . . Keep positive (grin).

74. giant head said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Agreed Blade. It is like when he gave up the homer to Ramirez (think that was the fool in LA that hit it out eearlier in the year), he had his good moments after that. But right now, there is just no way I have the confidence to go to him…he will be a key asset in the pen next year…

I thought we were getting all the calls the first two games and then they were going the Braves way most of today, but we got some helpful pitch calls with Wilson there in the 9th….

Bochy sticking with Huff there in the 9th against the lefty was really the call of the game when he had Renteria and Rowand on the bench. May have saved the entire season…I hate to say it but Boch is the man.

How about Cox not going with Farnsworth to start the 9th? Cox pulled a Blockhead…

• zumarust said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I don’t think there was much chance of Huff being pinch-hit for there. You dance with the one that brought you, in the most critical game of the year.

75. snarkk said, on October 10, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Giants now have some kind of mojo going. Not sure what it is, but it’s overall good. Billy Wagner injured and out means today’s top o the 9th happens. If he’s in, it doesn’t happen and SF’s down 2 games to 1. Let the karma kontinue….

• zumarust said, on October 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Plus, we can rest Timmy, and throw another nasty lefthanded starter against Heyward and McCann.

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Snarkk, I agree with your point about Wagner. I had him as a reliever most of FB season and if I recall correctly, he struck out the side on at least 2 (possibly 3) save situations. He was money most of the season.