A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Roy Halladay is Just a Man

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 14, 2010

“He’s just a man! He’s just a man!”. That quote from Rocky 3 keeps popping into my head when I think about Saturday’s match up. Roy Halladay is getting propped up by the national media as this unstoppable force, impossible to beat. Hogwash. Yes, he threw a perfect game in the regular season and everyone saw  his no hitter vs The Reds, but he’s had plenty of games where he gave up 3 or 4 runs in 7 innings or so. In fact, pre-post season no hitter he’d gone 6 straight starts  of giving up either 3 or 4 runs a game. Those are all wins for us, baby. Not to mention the fact that we hammered his ass back in April for his first loss of the year….

The fact that we are the only team in baseball to beat all 3 of their aces in 2010 has got to be a psychological edge for us. And their offense is hardly much better than ours, in fact I’d say the offenses are about even. They hit 3 percentages points higher than we did (.260 > .257). They hit 4 more bombs han we did (166 > 162) and their slugging % was barely better (.413 > .408). Plus they play in a much more hitter friendly park/division. And if our team had been together all year we would have steamrolled past them in all three of those categories. They dominate us on speed and that accounts for their run differential edge  (772 > 697) but Posey will make them think twice about stealing after his shows off that rocket launcher a few times…..

Throw in a Brad Lidge implosion or two (which could happen at any time) and I am just not that worried about The Phillies……

1. Giant Head said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:46 am

Not worried? We are not go to just roll over them either? They have the playoff vet experience beyond what our guys have. That counts for something, but no doubt we can hang with them.

We win one of the first two, Phillie Land is going to be shocked…hilarious listening on the national sports shows that most of the Phillie fans think our pitching is just mediocre…hah!

2. TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:57 am

Halladay’s a fag.
    Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
    Still…

3. max808 said, on October 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

Well, they are hyping game 1 as one of the great pitching matchups of all time, so obviously Timmy is getting plenty of respect.

In fact, NYTimes wrote that Timmy’s14k effort was more impressive than Hollyfield’s no hitter.

I respect Halladay, but don’t fear Ozwalt and Hamels.

My feeling now is G’s can take this in 5 or 6.

4. TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

Lincecum’s 14K effort *was* more impressive than Hallapray’s no-no. Not to downplay no hitters but…I’m going to downplay no hitters. Yes they’re impressive but they also involve, luck, odds and great defense from 9 guys. Lincecum’s game? It was like a Satchel Paige Negro League game. He could have gone on that field without Sandoval, Uribe and Sanchez and *still* he would have won that game.
    That, my friends, is domination.

5. DJLoo said, on October 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

Millar on MLB network did a side by side comparison of lineups and gave SF the edge everywhere but 2B, 3B, and CF. When he took Huff over Howard, someone offscreen said “you need to pee into a cup”.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

Obviously, you’ve never seen Howard’s thong

6. Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

OK, Cody Ross is now my newest bestest Giant –

SAN FRANCISCO — The Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association’s loss was the Major Leagues’ gain.

Outfielder Cody Ross, the Giants’ offensive savior in the National League Division Series against Atlanta, formerly harbored dreams of being a rodeo clown. For the uninitiated, a rodeo clown distracts a bull from a fallen rider. This naturally puts the clown at great risk. So there’s nothing funny about the job.

“I guess I thought that riding the bull is too dangerous,” Ross said Wednesday. “I just liked the mentality [the clowns] had — no fear. That’s probably the reason I was drawn to them.”

• eddacker415 said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I think that deserves pancakes
      with horns

7. Flavor said, on October 14, 2010 at 8:57 am

Bochy just said ford is a definite possibilty for this series

• DJLoo said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

He’s just fuckin’ with you…

• delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:19 am

And you can pencil in Runzler’s name for the NLCS as well. Zito best get set to break out his orange and black $18,500,000 pompoms once again.

• snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:16 am

If that happens, I’ll fall off my chair…

8. DJLoo said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

Just looked at the Phillies roster. They are old, too. How many of you knew that Ryan Howard was pushing 31? Rollins, Utley pushing 32.
    Very few guys born in the 70’s…

• DJLoo said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:29 am

I meant ’80’s. Lots of ’70’s….

9. stixwiz said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

Pinch me. Oh, but i am awake. It is real. Giants are in it. Predicted it, but wow, it is happening. National media still mostly wowed about the defending league Champs, as well they should. Lese’ Majeste’ other wise, dontcha know. But i think a lot of the commentariat has this nagging feeling that all their hosannas and encomiums for the Beast from the East may just be a bit off-key when their favorites come up against the Best of the West.

When it comes to those men in red themselves, there probably is a bit less bravado than amongst the babblers or the fan-base. Drrrty Sanchez being moved up to pitch the second game in their Citizens bandbox gets em a bit gulpy when they face the prospect of batting against the base-hit stingiest pitcher in all of baseball. Their switch-hitters are going to have to bat from the starboard side against him. Facing Sanchez would not be so dire a prospect if they were not up against the Freak in the opener. To be efficiently mowed down like so much longstem prairie grass is not their idea of a good time either. Yes, they have their ‘Doc’ to face off against Timmy,but it’s still no consolation for their hitters.

Limping out to the City by the Bay may be what the Philthies are looking at. They will be happy if they can eke out a split in their own yard, as neither Oswalt nor Hamels look to overshadow Sanchez. Game One is anybody’s guess. Then they get to face Matt the Horse in his own playpen. Those long fly balls into right center will arc up smack into Torres territory, also known as Death Valley for lefthanded power hitters. Game Four and they get a look at more long flys to right center, courtesy of the 21 year-old Tarheel, giving up the occasional hit, but tough as a grizzled 31 year-old once someone gets on base. Will Madison face Halladay? Phils won’t have much choice if they’re down two games to one.

Short by one Ace compared with the Giants, Philadelphia could be looking at a nasty situation in game Five if they do pitch Doc against countryboy. That’s the case and then its Oswalt or Hamels against Timmy. Can’t quite say “no contest” as those two are way better than average hurlers, but unless the Beast from the East’s mercenary Ace can best Lincecum in Game One in a bit over 50 hours time, there might not be a Game Six to go back to in Philadelphia.

10. willied said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

This is doable, provided you split in Philly. Phillies have not hit well in SF last couple years, esp. the LHs. SF handled them last year, and did OK this year as well. I remember a Zito meltdown in Philly in a game we led, which obviously won’t happen now. And speaking of meltdown, that’s Lidge middle name.

Keep the ball in the park! Only thing hurt us vs. ATL were the bombs. And yeah, I’d take Huff over Howard too. Our lefties embarrassed the guy…put Huff in the middle of their LU, in hot weather bandbox, and away from ATT and SD, and see what kind of numbers he puts up.

Ross deserves the props. I’d move him up to 2 spot and dump FS back to 8. He can hit behind Fontenot if he’s at 3B, or he can sit if Sando/Rent are in there.

11. Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:05 am

A little love from Bonds.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:18 am

And a lot of hate from the comments. Assholes. Jealous little fucking dweebs

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:36 am

The second page of comments had the Giants fans.

• snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:57 am

Any commenter to TMZ has no credibility, by definition, from the fact that they are TMZ commenters….

• xootsuit said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

The judge in the BBonds case has been acting as if she does not expect the US Atty to pursue that trial. Barry deserves to walk. He also deserves some significant face time in the owners’ box next week (and during the WS), next to Willie and Neuk.

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:43 am

xoot, I thought the trial date was set (next March). Can they still drop it?

What I would love to see is BB sitting next to Selig.

• xootsuit said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:59 am

The judge essentially has another trial set for the same time in March.

• xootsuit said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

And yeah the new US Atty for the Northern Dist. of Calif could work a deal to get rid of the case or drop it. (The new US Atty already is gearing up for wholesale white-collar prosecution — think securities and mortgage fraud. Stuff just a bit more important to the taxpayer than Barry Bonds’s evasive answers before a grand jury.)

12. Macdog said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:14 am

For people to say the Giants have little or no shot, as I saw John Kruk smugly declare on one of the local Phily news shows last night, is ridiculous. This ain’t the fuckin’ Dodgers standing in the Phils’ way. But so too is this dissing of the Phillies.

The only reason they’re not 2-time defending WS champs is because Hamels sucked last year. Anybody check out how he did in the Great American Bandbox the other night?

And I could care less about their regular season stats. Rollins missed 74 games, Utley 47, Polanco 30, Howard 19. That may have a little something to do with their lower than usual numbers.

This is a team that has won 30 of its last 38 games, including the Reds sweep, with an 11-game winning streak along the way. They were barely trying the final weekend and still almost swept a Braves team that was fighting for the wild card, the same Braves we struggled like hell to score against and every game felt like a 15-round prizefight.

Believe me, I like our chances as much as anyone here, but this is going to be one damn tough team to beat.

• eddacker415 said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

ah, HA! the truth be told. This series will be fought all by itself.
      The Phils going great and SF pitching at its peak.
      I am so glad the NLDS did not go to a Wednesday game.
      Who better to gather the players together and remind them who they are?
      Bochy, that’s who. And do not forget our character!
      A timely hit or two will complement the SPs.
      Game on!

13. TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:22 am

John Kruk. Career high of 21 dingers. Okay career BA but everyone treats him like he’s fucking Mantle or something. Just cuz he’s glib.
    I’ve said it before. Looks Like Babe Ruth. Bats like Ruth Gordon.

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

We should have Randy Johnson on retainer just to throw at Kruk any time he’s talking shit about the Giants.

14. snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

Boch must be readin’ the flap, Dirrrrty to go in game #2. Didn’t we have that dissected here before the local media even brought up the possibility? Answer: Yes…

15. snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 10:42 am

Let all the punkdits pontificate about the lock the Phillies have on the Pennant. Let’s play one game at a time, and we’ll see what happens. Most of those media tools back east probably haven’t even seen the Giants play outside of the Braves series, and they probably didn’t even see much of that in between tears for the departure of Cox…

16. delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:12 am

Phils now going with Hamels for Game 2.

Is that news or am I arriving at the barn late once again?

17. Unca Chuck said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:16 am

Giants in 5 . . .

If it goes to 6, I don’t like our chances . . .

Who knows?

The thing is, the Giants have played OK in their yard, and they have played like shit in ours. Take care of the home games, and the rest is gravy. And keep Victorino off the basepaths . . .

The Giants are used to the pressure, as the entire month of September was pretty much win or your out.

Strong D and timely hitting (better than the Atl series), and these guys will pull it off.

18. willied said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:45 am

Boz, I’d like to see Selig sitting in Mac’s Cove….without a kayak.

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:48 am

And no water dogs either.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

When you say Bud,
      There’s nothing left that you can ever say.
      When you say Bud,
      You know the King of Clods is right on his little merry way!
      Let’s play till December 1st, make baseball bad to worst
      Double headers are so passe, All-Star games finally pay
      When you say Buuuuuud Selig

You’ve said it all.

19. Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:00 pm

If Velez and Ford aren’t eligible why is EVERYBODY talking like they are? Baggs, FP, the rest of the Comcast guys, now Bochy… I’ve puzzled this and here’s the answer ( I think):
    Ford or Velez ( or Burriss) could be on the roster if the Giants choose to replace DeRosa’s spot since DeRosa is on the 60 day DL. In fact, every position player who was on the roster at the end of the season is eligible for that reason. It’s confusing but it’s basically a loophole in the rules.This is as per Bobby Evans as explained to Urban…

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Didn’t you already say that yesterday? I thought it was you. Someone did.

• Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Late last night, but it was the last post of the day so I reposted with elaboration.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Damn! I was hoping it was an original thought by me.

20. Nipper said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Just expect the unexpected. The little known hitter that hits like Babe Ruth. The relief pitcher that gets a key out. Somebody makes a key error or steals a base at the right time can change everything. It all can happen in a short series.

• ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

the mark lemke syndrome. ross is sort of this guy right now. i hope he doesn’t start to press, thinking he can MAKE things happen.

• willied said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Kind of like a grand slam by Chuck Hiller?

21. Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm

To elaborate a litttle, it”s because DeRosa is eligible to come off the 60 day that they can use his spot. At any rate, any of the speedsters ARE eligible. While I prefer Velez, all 3 have their advantages.

22. ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I think you have to expect to win two in their yard to win the series. I just don’t see a sweep at home for the g’s. But as chuck said, the g’s have been playing “must win” games for some time now. They don’t have an ounce of quit in them and there hasn’t been any deflating play or loss that’s kept them down for long. They’ve also beat the best pitchers in the NL this season so the thought of doc, oswalt and hamels isn’t going to intimidate them.

I’ve been wondering to myself, is this series a matter of the hitters scoring more runs than the phils or the pitchers allowing fewer runs than the phils? It amounts to the same thing but I think there’s a difference.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm

It amounts to the same thing but I think there’s a difference.
      —————————————————————————-
      Hello, I must be going,
      I cannot stay, I came to say, I must be going.
      I’m glad I came, but just the same I must be going.
      I’ll stay a week or two,
      I’ll stay the summer thru,
      But I am telling you,
      I must be going.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm

It’s definately a complimentary piece but there are subtle dabs of bullshit sprinkled about. But what the hell

• snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Feel good article appropos of the playoff time. I might argue with Panda being called a “portly slugger”. For the “slugger” part….

23. Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm

So it’s actually in the rule:
    “The only exception is that a player on the 60-day disabled list may be replaced by another player from the team’s 40-man roster (as of August 31) who plays the same position (i.e. position player for position player, or pitcher for pitcher), with the approval of the commissioner of baseball.”

24. Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm

It seems that Guillen didn’t accompany the team to Atlanta because an ounce of quit was discovered in his carry-on bag…

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm

That idiot. Why couldn’t he have put it besides the pounds of instability in his checked luggage?

• ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

On his last team, you were allowed to carry-on a maximum of 2 oz of quit, as long as it was visible in a sealed plastic bag.

25. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Twin, good info. Thanks.

I would rather see Velez too. He could be the X factor Sandoval should be giving the club. The dude is a fucking mystery though. He’s got speed and power and can get red hot. You don’t know what you’ll get but he could totally take over a couple of games. Ford will give you speed on the bases and that’s it.

I like the Giants chances in this series. The phillies don’t run finesse guys out to the mound. They’ve got power arms that are in or around the zone with plus stuff. This plays right into the Giants hacking ways. If SF can take the first game and the SPs feed off of Lincecum I see it going 5.

26. ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Isn’t it a least friday by now?

27. Unca Chuck said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

More importantly, did anyone else see this?

Super glue the bad boy . . .

• snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Sounds like possibly some deking going on…

28. Unca Chuck said, on October 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I thought I saw Guillen on the bench, but maybe that was in SF . . .

29. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Other than him not giving the club shit since coming over. I didn’t really have an opinion on him either way. I was at the October 3rd clinching game and they sent some young kids out to the field postions to start the game. Guillen spent more time with the kid in right than any player except Torres. I thought that was cool.

That said. What a chump. Dude wrote his own pink slip out of the game with his post season act in SF.

30. Kevin said, on October 14, 2010 at 1:23 pm

This is the thing with the Giants. It all comes down to hitting. Cain’s start was an aboration of the bull pen. Usually when the Giants score 4 or more runs the win is a lock. With Tim and then Jonathan nothing is impossible, even a sweep. That is how good the Giants pitching is. So like Chuck said about Atlanta, Score early and often. Or what that about the Niners, or both??

• delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Can ya imagine the Giants with Mike Singletary as manager and Alex Smith batting clean up?

We’d never fucking score.

• Kevin said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:04 pm

But that would only be because Sing would be giving Alex the Take sign!!

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Kevin, agree with you there. The Giants have been in a bit of a lull at the plate for bit now. This rest between series could be the remedy and they come out and start spraying balls all over the place and slam the door on Philly early.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

An abortion of the bull pen?

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm

What trimester?

31. ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

am watching “around the horn” and they were discussing who the most valuable pitcher might be in the upcoming series and the only pitchers discussed were yankees.

32. delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

So Runzler for Mota and Ford for Rowand, and everything’s copacetic.

33. Unca Chuck said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Sounds good to me. . .

34. Bozo said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Me thinks Rowand will be on the roster in Philly.

• Kevin said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Definitely, probably!!

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I actually want Rowand; he’s been Mark Lemke’ed.

36. snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm

If it’s the Rangers v. Giants in the WS, then ESPN will run only an update every hour on the WS games in between wall to wall coverage of the latest on Favre’s sexting problems…

• eddacker415 said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:48 pm

as ESPN is my only feed via cable here: no shit; fuck sportscasts for profit – give us the feed. We know what’s going on and don’t need you telling us how to watch.

37. delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Umpiring crews have been announced. You all can relax now, no Phil Cuzzi.

38. Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I’ve got 4 fucking entries for the NLCS contest. Get picks in or I’ll send it to Soph so she can octotask..

• delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Maybe she can handle that task while she’s at the Bryn Mawr Oktoberfest.

39. bigSarge said, on October 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I’m working on trying not to curse, but FUCK ESPN!! I can’t stand those east coast biased, west coast hating douchebags. I hate that I moved and they won’t let me have my satellite here in my new place. I miss csn bay area and chronicle live. espn can eat a dick between two slices of bread

40. eddacker415 said, on October 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm

giants 2010:
    So unbelievable things like that happen. But you have to believe it first. Not wait until you see it first, then touch it, then believe it… You have to say it from the big inning.”

41. Flavor said, on October 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm

twin I’ll post something about the contest in tomorrow’s main thread……..

42. delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 4:26 pm

So now I see it’s back to Oswalt for Game 2, and Hamels here for Game 3. Why don’t that sorry excuse for a country bumpkin Unca_Charlie make up is goddamn mind. Next thing coming outta that boob’s mouth will be that Phat Joe Blanton is scheduled to start Game 4. Oh wait, he is.

43. snarkk said, on October 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm

If it’s Blanton v. Bum, I’ll take that matchup in a heartbeat…

44. DJLoo said, on October 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

The 10th race at Monticello today was won by: “SF Sure Thing”

• delmardennis said, on October 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Sorry to report, the 3rd at Charles Town tonight was won by “Philly Princess” ($4.60).

45. Flavor said, on October 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm

if youda told me at the start of the season that with four teams remaining in the playoffs, Benjie Molina and Buster Posey would be the starting catchers for 2 of the 4, Ida called you a loon…….

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Kind of nice, though. I’m happy for Molina

46. alleykat said, on October 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm

According to Cal Ripken Jr…This will be a boring series.

I guess playing a thousand +straight games for a crappy Orioles team,probably induces stupidity.

47. zumarust said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Overall, MLB network’s coverage continues to be good. It was a nice feeling to see that camera shot of the inside of the empty Phillies ballpark. The reality of being in this series just sinks in even more.

48. Flavor said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Ripkin is a dipshit. I’m not listing off all the reasons why, I think u all know them. This series has all the makings of a classic. Literally every game could be won by a single hit or a single mistake.

49. ferrethead said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I don’t know if anybody is interested by FP will have Woody (Rueter) on at 8.

50. willied said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Only in Berkeley: over at the Ashkenaz Club on San Pablo there is a Peter Tosh B-day (19th) party. Legalize it mon, and perhaps brudda Tim will advertise it.

I realize Philly has had two great years and is in position again, but I would file that under the heading of “mgr. is basically irrelevant non-factor to team success.”

51. Flavor said, on October 14, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Look at it this way: our hitters aren’t going to be intimidated hitting in that park. And our pitchers aren’t intimidated by anything, they know they’re the best staff in baseball, home or road. Sounds like it’s toe 2 toe time. Philly is riding the east coast bullshit biased perspective. Once they find out this team doesn’t blink or waver, then we find out what’s hiding behind the fillies hubris….

52. ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:09 pm

well said bf. they don’t have an ounce of blink or waver. they may suck at times but they just don’t quit. and that’s when the bully starts to wonder . . .

53. TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Ferrett, thanks for the head’s up about FP’s show. But the sad thing is….I cannot stand that vainglorious transexual.
    Not that there’s anything wrong with that

54. ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:16 pm

mlb network: “if they locate and throw strikes, it’s over.” “they’re the best rotation in baseball”

they were talking about the phillies.

kind of a big “if”

so if the giants locate and throw strikes, what? Best rotation in baseball?

not so fast my young friend.

55. alleykat said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:24 pm

The only issue right now is Tim’s blister problem.Should it affect his grip and he can’t throw his slider which puts the most pressure on his index finger,giving the Phils an advantage eliminating one of his devastating out pitches or even his finger just worsens during the game,then Bochy might be forced to use Bum early in this game and fuck up everything in the rotation, meaning Zito might have to be an option added to the roster for insurance in case he’s needed to start game 4.Let’s hope and pray Timmy holds up.Everyone wants this dream match up not be affected by an injury.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Oh my little friend. Thou art so naive

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Praeith not agaiiiinst thus blister. Worry more, my possum, of Howardian triumphs agaiiiiinst fooling change ups and deafening sinkers.
      Forsooth and beckon.
      Thy children may be over whelmed.
      Let it not be so.
      To take a pitch. Or not to take a pitch.
      Aye, that is the question.
      Tis…

56. TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:28 pm

What was really cool today was the last guy they pulled out of the Chile mine.
    Atlee Hammaker

57. Michael said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Difference wil be that we can hit better there than they can hit here, IMO. Significant stat I put up a couple days ago: Giants led the NL in road home runs. Giants in 5.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I swear to God, Michael. You are such an idiot! Giants in 3.

58. stixwiz said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:37 pm

It’s unanimous, so they must be right, right? Yahoo Sports panel of baseball ‘experts’ all pick the Fillies to win. Only one of the four even gives the Giants the benefit of being likely to make a fight outta the NLCS. Not so fast there, boys. It does not matter how good their hitting happens to be (just a squeak and a tad better than S.F.’s judging by the stats) ~ when the horsehide enters the equation superior pitching normally dominates superior hitting.

Let’s compare the rotations: Timmy had a bad August. Since the beginning of September he has brought his Cy Young stuff. Already having won the award in the dink hitter league, Halladay is the odds-on favorite for the Cy this year. This one’s a wash, gang. Most likely the game will be decided by some otherwise small and unusually unlikely factor, most probably involving a lucky break for somebody.

Hamels is their #2 starter. He does not compare favorably to Sanchez. Close but no cigar. Hamels does give up base hits on a moderately regular basis. Drrrrty is about as close to impossible as they get.

Roy Oswalt vs Matt Cain: Oswalt can be very, very tough when he is on. Not so scary when he’s not. Cain CAN be had once in a blue-moon ~ but his birthday is not coming up again for about 50 weeks.

Starter #4: Oh please. Do we even need to go there? We’re talking a Ton of Bland vs a 21 Y.O. loogie who has the command, control and composure of a ten year veteran. No contest. No way.

Closer and setup: Out on a Lidge vs Sarah Bernhardt with the Blackbeard attitude. Halloween colors prevail in October. Ryan Madson vs one of three: Sergio Romo (went sour in Atlanta); Ramon Ramirez ( has been steady since coming to S.F., though Bochy went an inning too far in that Atlanta game); Santiago Casilla (dreadfully nasty, killer stuff, but sometimes goes walkathon). Slight edge to Phillies on setup man, but that edge depends on vicissitudes.

Rest of Bullpen: Not even pretending to beginning to be close. Most of the Bastardos & Co. have ERA’s well over 3.00 while those of the Giants tend to be about a full run lower, on average. Definite Giants advantage.

Pitching is the name of the game. Some of those experts may find themselves dining on fricassee of Corvine.

• TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Will there be a test after we read this?
      Kidding.
      Love you man but I usually have to have my girlfriend break your fucking posts out.
      I feel like Larry on JEOPARDY
      Anyone else reade PEARLS BEFORE SWINE?

• ewisco said, on October 14, 2010 at 11:11 pm

me no can reed!

59. TedSpe said, on October 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Goooooodnight, ladies and gentlemen.

Question mark