Great Cody Ross Story

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 19, 2010

Many of you guys have seen some posts from “bird dog”–he’s one of my few friends, maybe my only 3-D friend, who posts on the blog more than once a year. Anyway, ‘Bird lives in Portland and decided last night to take his son, who’s a huge Giants fan, to the game today—a few clicks at stubhub and some frequent flier miles later, they are sitting in the arcade for today’s game.

‘Bird, I hope someday Clayton understands what a kick ass dad you are…..

Anyway, the 6th inning is about to start, Ross is warming up and as he’s setting up to throw the ball into the stands he makes eye contact with ‘Bird who points to his son, Ross nods reassuringly, and throws the ball to Clayton. The ball is flying through the air, Clayton holds his glove up the same way he’s done a thousand times in Little League, a fantastic moment is about to unfold! One problem: Ross throws the ball about 4 feet over Clayton’s head into the hands of a fortunate fan who ran off into the afternoon sun with his found prize…..

buzkill……..

Inning starts, Polanco grounds out to 2nd. Howard grounds out to 2nd…Werth flies out to ROSS in right…..Inning over but Ross, still cognizant of his gaffe, turns to ‘Bird and makes eye contact with him and nods his head a few times finally tossing the ball to Clayton (for a second attempt). ‘Bird doesn’t wait for it to happen this time, he jumps up and snags the ball from Ross immediately handing it to his son who beamed with a smile that stretched from the SF  to Portland…….

Cody Ross is one cool fucking dude……..

The last out ended and ‘Bird made a bee-line to a stand that sold Cody Ross jerseys. No luck, there weren’t any. I’m positive that right now as I type this he’s sitting in the Oakland airport trying to buy one online……..

1. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’m going to repeat this from the last thread: I want updates from Stix, John, and Kevin on their PCs. I’ve given up on Ferret. But it’s fucking rude, boys. If you don’t know how to hook up or operate a goddamn computer, don’t enter a contest to win one.

• Kevin said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

It is all hooked up!!

2. snarkk said, on October 19, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Great Story. Baseball and kids have always and hopefully will forever, go hand and hand. Here’s to The Cody, The Codster, The ??? Whatever nickname he gets, that messed up flyball against Colorado is but a distant memory. This dude is seriously goosing his contract drive…

3. stixwiz said, on October 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Michael: Current: “Your computer was unable to start. Startup Repair is checking your system for problems.”

Great story about your friend, his kid and Ross, Flav. That boy will be in love with the game ~ and the Giants ~ for as long as he’s around.

4. stixwiz said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Micheal: Windows just re-opened, even said “Welcome”. Hope that lasts. Problems have arisen when i’ve deleted msn. com at the top and substituted Yahoo so i can get to the game. Will just let it run on msn for awhile and see if that helps.

5. delmardennis said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:25 pm

That story brought a smile to my face as wide as Clayton’s. Heartwarming moment and a sure-fire Giants fan for life right there. Cody Ross–bravo my man, bravo.

6. stixwiz said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Just read Ken Rosenthal’s take on the NLCS, going into it. He did a position by position comparison, pretty much totally dissed the Giants offense and even went so far as asserting that their Big 3 starters being better than those of the Giants. He picked the Fillies in five. HA!

7. Flavor said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Clayton lived in the Bay Area till he was about 5, last 5 years in Portland.
    ‘Bird bought the mlb package and has kept his son’s commitment to our team in tact. Great move by you dude to make the effort to be at this game. And you were rewarded with a story you both can tell for a lifetime……..

8. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Wow. Bengie!

• delmardennis said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:42 pm

That’s what they get for disrespecting the Big Titty. I guess I really should call him by his true nickname, Big Money, That was truly BIG. Happy for the big guy. I think I have a soft spot for the generously portioned. As they say, just more to love.

• alex said, on October 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

I wonder if any in Giants management are haunted by the rude dismissal of Big Money? Not to say there is much he can do to hurt us, but oh yeah, there is a lot he can do next week. I bet Benjie is counting the days. Bad juju there.

9. max808 said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm

NY looks fucked.

10. stixwiz said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Whodda thunk it? Grand Tetons blasting a 3-run shot against the Evil Empire in the ALCS. Bengie couldn’t jack shit when he was with SF. And now Buster has slowed down. Baseball. Go figure.

11. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Great lead, Flav. Got to give that win to Bochy. His moves all paid off.

I was listening to Miller on the radio and he glossed Molina “Big Money” for the national audience. You could hear him smiling through the radio. It’s feeling more and more like a date with destiny and big titty to me.

12. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:56 pm

That was a wonderful story, Craig…
    What a group that Sabean and Bochy have put together. There’s not a guy who put on the SF uniform this year who hasn’t contributed.
    Side note: totally unexplainable thus far but after the seizure, my foot pain completely subsided.

• 3bagger said, on October 19, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I couldn’t agree more. When the season ended we all talked about the great stories and characters on this team…and the post season yields another one.

And glad to hear about your foot.

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:04 pm

What a perfect story Flav.
      Baseball.
      It’s not who you know it’s…where am I going with this?

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Just fucking around. Great baseball story flav. I’ve never had anything close. The best I ever got was a piece of junk mail tossed at my head by HacMan at the San Carlos post office in 1990

13. delmardennis said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:10 pm

You can just smell the sweat emanating from the pores of the Yankees and their fans.
    I can smell their sweat of shock and dismay from across our great land. I’d lend them some of my deodorant, but I don’t think it’d do any good to conceal the stench of their pitching.

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:13 pm

dennis…I know what you mean but…that’s slightly disgusting

• alex said, on October 20, 2010 at 10:43 am

You sound like you could use some fresh air.

14. willied said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:11 pm

How about right to Joba? Robertson gives up an HR to Hamilton, so Joba comes in and gives up a double to the wall from Vlad, followed by a BB and a bloop, and it’s 7-3 Texas to go up 3-1, in Yankee Stadium.

fucking awesome…just like SF today…and the kid’s ball..

The Great Karmatic Equalizer has smiled upon your form.

15. stixwiz said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Bengie opens the 8th with his third hit of the game. He’s already scored a couple times and drove in 3 with the mashed Tater. Unless the Yankees can pull off another late rally against a questionable Texas bullpen; this is looking to be a case of “oh how the mighty have fallen”.

Unless they get their slimy mitts on Cliff Lee and probably at least one more quality starter they might could use Zito. Who knows, maybe he could resurrect his career in NY. He sure doesn’t seem to be doing it in SF and now that he’s off the PS roster, Z. might never produce for the Giants again. He would still draw that paycheck, though.

16. Flavor said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I really don’t want to face the Rangers in the WS. Their uniforms are disgustingly similar to the 2002 Angels team, at least in my nightmares.

17. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:35 pm

There’s been a lot of revisionism here on Bengie but he was mocked even when he really was “Big Money”… he’s near the end of his career but I’m delighted to see what he’s doing in the postseason. If we get to the WS and face him- beware.

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:37 pm

No revisionism from me, my friend. I’ve been a Big Titty fan, in more ways then one, for my entire life

18. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm

It’s not directed at anyone in particular.

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I know. It was just an opportunity to make a crude joke. Speaking of which:
      I’m pretty sure Ron “Yeah I inhaled and then I drank the bongwater” Washington will get MofY in the AL

• Unca Chuck said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

He was railing, not smoking . . .

• alex said, on October 20, 2010 at 10:46 am

Not sure what Mr. Ryan could do since his pal GWB made it to the white house and never came clean over the same issue. I wonder if W weighed in on Nolan’s decision? Nah, that would have required honesty and class.

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm

MagnusFlavoris,
    Wonderful story that nearly gave me chills. The say life imitates fiction. True, because there was a similar scene about Willie Mays in my short story — all imagined — but this was better than a gauzy Hallmark greeting card commercial. Wonderful. Grand. Thanks for sharing it.

And I’m happy for Bengie, and not at all surprised. Reminds me of the Big Money HR he hit at CitiField when I was there last year.

p.s. I think Chron writers may be voyeurs here; someone mentioned the Mark Lemke Factor. Shulman? Give me props, Henry. Anyway, revise that to the Cody Ross Syndrome.

• ewisco said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm

dude, you had me at magnus. outfuckingstanding.

• ewisco said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm

you sure it’s not flavoris maximus (all hail)?

20. Unca Chuck said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm

How fucking crazy would that be to face Bengie in the WS?

Never ever woulda thunk it . . .

Yanks trying to come back. 3 walks???

Just turned this on . . .

That story put my Diog one to shame.

Hell of a cool move by your friend, Flav.

Wow. Got him in the cuff…

• alex said, on October 20, 2010 at 11:04 am

Crazy? No, that just sounds like the Gods of baseball doing their thing. If you’re not superstitious in this game, you’re not paying attention.

21. Unca Chuck said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Sabean started the bengie talk with the ‘moving on’ comment last November.

Wooo! Nice D there.

22. Unca Chuck said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Crankee stadium is really emptyingout fast,isn’t it?

Dinger #2 for Josh!

23. Unca Chuck said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Shit, whoever faces these guys are in for a time.

They got some hitters.

24. delmardennis said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I think George Steinbrenner just fired Joe Girardi from his grave. Ouch.

25. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

No, it started with a remark the year before when he said something about Bengie’s “clock” winding down. Doesn’t even matter if it was true. Bad move. Bengie was disrespected even when he indeed was their best RBI man.

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Bengie carried the team as their best power hitter for 3 years. I wasn’t glad that he had that burden but I always championed him for doing his best to carry it. ANd he did.
      Fucking Molina was a Giant that deserves to be remembered as a dude who was given a great burden and held his piece.
      That being said…
      He’s still Big Titty
      And always will be
      With affection.
      As much as…..anyone. Yeah… Santiago comes to mind.. They didn’t *need* Santiago. He came through like a fucking champ. But he was one of many.
      They needed Molina….and he came through for the Giants.
      No shit *ever* should be talked about Molina. Except for one thing.
      Calling Molina _Big Titty is fucking funny!!!!
      And Twexas takes down the Yankees as I write this.
      Fuckin’ A

26. Unca Chuck said, on October 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Wow . . .

27. ewisco said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm

wife and kids big yankees fan (though one boy got a ball from willie mays traveling around in a cart, so they’re kind of on the fence about that one). I’m clearly in another room.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Life imitates art, the sequel. In my story, Willie tosses a ball from the cart [wait, from a Cadillac!], at the All-Star Game, but the protagonist just misses it. My daughter, living here in Upstate NY, is a default Yankees fan, when she’s not a Giants fan, wearing a Lincecum jersey.

28. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

What would’ve happened if Girardi had yanked Burnett? It was in the 5th and I’m sure he wanted to give the guy a chance for a W. Incidentally, I’ve grown to like Ron Darling and John Smoltz as analysts. Smoltz especially is extremely perceptive, in my view.

Yeah, real front-runners, those fans.

Imagine if there was a HR by Hamilton after that guy in the stands caught the foul in the 7th [?]. That guy would’ve needed the National Guard to escort him home.

29. stixwiz said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Evil Empire is sure getting DeRangered tonight. They took some huge dumps and are rubbing the Yanks faces into em. This is almost macabre. Looked like the E.E. was gonna mount a rally against the bedraggled Texas BP in the 8th, but this time Darren Oliver did what they pay him to do. Weird thing is that i damned near feel sorry for NY ~ not really. Getting humiliated couldn’t happen to a better bunch of millionaire mercenaries. They probably really could use Zito.

• TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm

There’s a disturbance in the force

30. TedSpe said, on October 19, 2010 at 9:41 pm

It’s all it is. The NATION owes the Giants one really simple thing.
    Fucking respect.
    Well, we all got our ferrett “woo hoo” so the day is done.
    Sweep in S.F.?
    Not beyond question. Not at all.
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

31. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Watching the game again- Ross just drove in Edgar, who looks very comfy in the postseason, doesn’t he? I’d think about sitting Juan tomorrow and giving Panda a start against Blanton. In any case, I’m not sure Rent sits again this series…

32. Sportdude said, on October 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm

My friend and I were thinking the same thing. Renteria has been clutch in the past. His bunt was the play of the Atlanta game, that would have been all the buzz if the Giants had held on to win.Go Panda!

33. mrmrbill said, on October 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Gawd these Fox announcers are just pathetic. Chris Rose has always been an idiot, no matter what the network. Eric Karros actually *played* baseball? Couldn’t tell by the announcing. I’ve heard better play coverage from Marcel Marceaux.

34. ewisco said, on October 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Still basking. Good night all. Sleep well tf.

35. willied said, on October 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Fuck NY. They have that competitiveness that says to everyone else, “You’re good, but not like us.” And don’t tell me EC hasn’t looked down it’s nose at SF and Texas since before they even got in the playoffs and thought the same thing. Sure, you’re here now, but not for long.

And now both NY and Philly about to get fucking bounced out on their ears like drunks in the old westerns, thrown through saloon doors out into the dust of the street.

36. Michael said, on October 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm

He’s pitched pretty well in the postseason and against SF, but I still think they’re going to rock Blanton tomorrow. Night all, M.