At 4:57pm, the World ENDS!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 23, 2010

Or apparently that’s what it will feel like to some of you if we lose today based off the posts yesterday and some emails that I got. I guess I’m with the minority, I just am not gonna be devastated if they don’t make it to the World Series. And it won’t be a choke-job, either. Philly is a very good team, if they can beat Lincecum/Dirrrrrty/Cain successively, more power to them. I am still just too busy enjoying the Hell out of post season baseball to sweat “what if?”

But I will tell you that despite hating them with a passion, I started growing a beard last Saturday. It’s just about grown full in and I WILL be dying it black if/when we make it to the World Series. Flavor doesn’t roll with the phony beard look…….

And if we don’t make it? I just shave this bad boy off and look back on one of the top three baseball seasons I have ever had the pleasure of watching as a Giants fan. Don’t *player hate*, my friends, *dominate* and if that doesn’t work for ya, or you don’t get it, then just go back to worrying about the sky caving in on you later tonight. If there’s a Game 7, instead of worrying about a loss, focus on the rare electricity and the feeling of finality that you get to experience for about 3 hours. You know what? I hope it does go 7……..

1. slo_roll said, on October 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Another total team effort tonight… lots of heros tonight. i respect the phillies as a team, how can’t you after the last 3 years but their fans deserved this big time, for them i am feeling good. it will be fun facing benji and the rangers. i am on the east coast and it is all “if it is giants and rangers, baseball is ruined”……… fuck them big time, let them eat their brown air. i love this team.

2. delmardennis said, on October 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Hey, my new favorite Giant got the win tonight. LOOGY got the W. How great has Lopez been since the day we got ’em. I kept screaming all spring, “we need another arm, we need another arm.” Well, we got the arm in Javier Lopez. LOOGY has been nothing short of spectacular. Just wonderful.

Damn, I don’t know if it’s sunk in yet. We’re going to the World Series.

3. stixwiz said, on October 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Unbelievable game. Sanchez’ problems drove me to the other room where i prepared dinner and prepared for the worst. When i returned to see how bad things had gotten the Giants had just tied the game at 2-2. Rescued some honor, anyway, i figured. Checked back from time to time as i sat carving in the other room and listening to NPR doing a special on John Coltrane, who had a major Philadelphia connexion.

Affeldt truly saved the game with his two innings of no-give. Doing so, he earned his hefty paycheck in one outing, the most important one of his career. Somehow Bumgarner survived the torture rack. Lopez kept them cold. About that time NPR took their news break and then went into part two on Coltrane: “Giant Steps and Beyond”. Time to check the Yahoo feed again on the ol’ iMac and ~~~ OOOOOORRREEEEEBAYYYY. I had taken that “Giant Steps” as an omen and sure nuff.

Bochy took almost the same gamble that Manuel did the other night and did the Oswalt with Timmy. As we all know it worked for the first batter and then started going sour. Incredible situation with Wilson in for another torture session and then” induces” Ruiz to LINE into that DP.

Ninth inning summed up the entire ballgame as the G-men dinked a couple singles around outs and then the IBB by Lidge so he could give Bochy a nasty choice with the bases loaded and Wilson due to bat. Big Bruce Bit the Bullet and let Wilson swing away. Groundout. Bottom of the ninth was another trip to the torture chamber as two of the tough Fillies hitters reached base around a couple walks. The Sarah Bernhardt dramatic presentation finally came to a crescendo as Wilson K-ed Philadelphia’s cleanup man, Ryan Howard.

There have been exciting baseball games and there have been dramatic baseball games, but there has never in the history of the game been a post-season contest between two almost perfectly matched teams with the combination of wild, roaring excitement and sitting on the edge of the seat drama as this one did. And i couldn’t follow it directly after those first couple innings cause a little voice in the head said “no”. What a crazy way to “witness” another NL Championship for the team which has won more games than any other in baseball history: My Giants. Our Giants. We’ll be running around like crazies tonight, dangling One Flap Down.

4. blade3colorado said, on October 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Love Botchy’s interview line, “Castoffs and Misfits . . .” The Giants play this season and playoffs have put an exclamation mark on TEAM effort and execution.

Yeah Kat, I’m Speechless . . . and still have tears of joy processing this.

5. snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I’m opening a new bottle of Scotch. The good shit. Giants in the fuckin World Series? Pinch me. Unbelievable, but I believe it!…..

• blade3colorado said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Snarkk, not only are we in the World Series, but we didn’t go through the Poor Sisters of Mercy to get there . . . We beat the two-time consecutive pennant winning Phillies to do it. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

6. twinfan said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm

A quick personal note: I went from what the paramedics thought was a severe stroke to what turned about to be a brain seizure to recurrence of the tumor to now just some edema. I’m not out of the woods but so blessed. As I said: right now, I am just HAPPY, no other word to describe it.. well, one more: TORTURE>>>

• Bozo said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Hang tough Twin – Stay happy my friend.

• JBat said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re okay, Michael. Like I said the other day, what you are going through puts baseball in perspective.

We’re going to the World Series!!

7. DJLoo said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Betcha Cain starts Game 1. Timmy 2…

8. snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:06 pm

When Huff n’ Puff took down that liner in the 8th and turned it into the DP, I thought maybe the baseball gods were with us. Then, I needed the usual nitroglycerine in the 9th with Wilson getting guys on 1st and 2nd. What a 3-2 pitch to Howard, total Wilson brass balls slider for the callled K. I jumped up and down and hugged my older daughter and wife in a group hug and shouted like a 10 year old. Even my avatar dog i was jumping up and down with us….

9. slo_roll said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm

i like cain in game 1 – leaves tim for a game 6 clinch

10. sprtdude said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I so hope we win this. Our year for sure! So happy I could cry! Hang in there Michael…

11. alleykat said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

God I’m so ecstatic right now.I even love Todd Wellemeyer!!!

12. ferrethead said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Wow – I don’t know what else to say. I started to choke up watching the guys, the relief, the joy, the torture…I love it all!!! What a great fucking season!!!

Woo-HOO!!!!!!! NL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I have a whole, surreal Philadelphia Story to relate [since we are here], but the short version is HALLELUJAH! Love you all. Thanks for making all this Rapturous Torture bearable. I mean that. Now, time to check flights.

14. Kevin said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm

As much as we talk about how Huff needs to get it going think about Philly fans and Howard!! The dude didn’t do a whole lot against the Giants!!

15. JBat said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm

National League Champs. What an incredible ride this has been, and what a phenomenal 3-2 pitch Wilson made to whiff Howard. Holy crap.

16. JBat said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

And Juan Uribe. What a huge, clutch homer. That one is already an instant classic in SF Giants history. Just amazing. Winning a game like that, in a hostile environment with everything on the line. Just a testament to the heart this team has.

17. snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

ESPN is still trying to explain why Philly lost, rather than why the Giants kicked their ass. FFFFF UUUUU East Coast bias! Giants in the Series. Eat it!…..

18. Bozo said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:28 pm

All I have to say is we have 4 more to go.
    That’s it, well and FLAP ON GIANTS.

19. slo_roll said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:29 pm

affeldt was huge tonite – he doesn’t do what he did, the game is close to out of control. pulled the jints out of the fire.

20. stixwiz said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:31 pm

It clinks and clanks and huffs and puffs and wheezes like a pinholed pipeorgan, but the HALLOWEEN MACHINE rocks and rolls onward into Championship of the National League and a World Series beginning at #24 Willie Mays Plaza on McCovey Cove on Wednesday as the Orange and Black October charms the baseball world.

21. Kevin said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm

October colors have always been Black and Orange!! Home field advantage too!! could not ask for more luck!!

22. zumarust said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Snarkk, if you have MLB network, their coverage tonight is far superior. They seem absolutely thrilled for the Giants. Orlando Hudson is cracking me up with his enthusiasm.

• snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Zuma, I don’t have MLB. But, CSNBA is doing a fine job with the coverage. I check out ESPN to see how much crow they’re eatin’. I’m lovin’ every friggin minute of this!…

• snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I’m watching CSNBA, and their coverage is gettin it done just fine. I tune into ESPN off and on to watch for eating of crow. I’m lovin all this coverage, radio, CSNBA, etc…

23. ewisco said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Jazz hands!!

oh, Doctor!! just now settling back down. In the immortal words of someone or other: we came, we saw, we kicked their ass !

we’re playing, they’re not!!!

• DJLoo said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Bill Murray in Ghostbusters!

24. zumarust said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm

The Giants have battled so much adversity this season, it’s unreal. Watching the highlights being replayed, I can’t believe how that throw from centerfield took a perfect bounce right off the mound to nail Torres. How often does a throw bounce that perfectly off the mound to home?
    But we still won! Yeah!!

25. snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:42 pm

It’s cool, Zuma. I don’t have MLB, but the local CSNBA is doing a great job. I’m gettin it all. I look in at ESPN now and again to see how much crow they’re eatin’. I’m lovin’ it all…

26. zumarust said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Jazz Hands got it done!

27. snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Uribe. Fuckin Uribe. That game in LA that we won 5-4 in September, maybe the biggest hit of the regular season. Then tonite, the game winner to win the Pennant. The dude has been huge. He deserves major, major props….

28. oldsealsfan said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hey, old friends! Special nite! Here is my comments from the driver of the doomer bus.

“Hahahahahaha!!” I just said/sang that in my kitchen! That’s MOST I’ve laughed in a lifetime! Cannot believe it.

Not to say I haven’t been happier, but NEVER did I expect this to happen.

For Giants fan it’s really great. But. for some of us that have been following the SF Giants since they came to San Fransico (note the full spelling) this has to be special. THEY HAVE A CHANCE, AGAIN, to win a WS!

THe first loss on my watch was in 1962. Since I arrived on Lackland AFB a few days before the series I saw almost nothing. It took me 2-3 days to find out that McCovey hit the shot to Richardson.

In Tampa I watched the FU’d earthwake series and the bizarre Rally Monkey series.

Now here it comes again!!!!!

We have another chance to win a World Series!.

Drinks all around!!

Serve them them up Nipper.

• swickman said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Seal, it’s not too late to put a brick on the pedal and send the doomer bus over a cliff.

• swickman said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Seal, it’s not too late to put a brick on the gas pedal and drive the doomer bus off a cliff.

• shaman_138 said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:01 am

How are you tonight, Daddy?

29. twinfan said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm

.214 BA and my vote for MVP-Uribe. He has a chance every fucking time up. And how I loved his uncle…

30. stixwiz said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm

A little echo of the immortal words from ’51 are in order after this thriller:
    ” THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT. THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT. THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT.”
    And this time we won’t be facing the Evil Empire to win the World Series.

31. swickman said, on October 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Just got a text from my boss that I’m going to Game 2! Anybody else here planning to go to that game?

• shaman_138 said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:07 am

I’ll probably be around that area, at the water or pub.

32. twinfan said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Did I thank you for the Twins’ card, Craig? Thanks if I didn’t. Arrived today…

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 6:41 am

Bozo sent it to me, along with some others, at the start of the season. I was going through them the other day, saw that one and thought you’d like it…..

33. snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

BTW, I had a friggin hard on when Torres drag bunted for a hit in the 9th. Awesome. I’ve been yelling for him to do that for 3 months. Then, he hurts himself slidin into first doin it. Argggghhhh. Hopefully, he’ll recover from what sounds like a groin injury over the next 3+ days. The scotch is kicikin in, I’m going to go onto a Phillies blog and harass their asses!….

34. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I missed all but the last half inning. Then almost got my and my 13 yo daughter’s ass kicked in Philly. I’ve booked my flight and hotel. Why not?!

• snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:24 pm

You got tix, Pawlie? StubHub currently showing cheapest tix (SRO) at $514!… Ouch…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm

no tix; does not matter; I’ll wander ’round the stadium…that’ll work

• snarkk said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Let us know when you’re goin to be around. Maybe we can tipple one together over at the yard, even if we can’t get in…

35. swickman said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Man, I’m speechless after that game. Pure fucking torture is what it was!

I had to hear a fritatta Dodger fan at my kid’s soccer game this morning spend the entire soccer game talking about how crappy the Giants are – how he was sure they wouldn’t beat the Padres and Braves and they weren’t going to get past Philly. All fucking soccer game.

Well, Eddie, the Giants are in the World Series and your Dodgers just signed Ted Lilly. All things considered, I’d rather be a Giants fan.

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm

or lightning will strike from a business connection in SF and I get a seat

37. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm

good night, all
    It’s 1:28 a.m.
    But how to fall asleep?

38. ewisco said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm

so many great comments. so many great memories. i remember them coming out of the dugout at candlestick to the william tell overture. i remember the origins of the uuuuh,,rrrribaaayyy chant. i was there when brenly had his three errors and won the game anyway. i was in the left field bleachers at the all star game and we howled at bob and he growled back, so stoked to be there.

we’re going to sizzler!

39. alleykat said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Brilliant move by Bochy,throwing 4 straight lefties at the Phils to start this game.Really worked to perfection.

40. xootsuit said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Wilson shut the door, sealed the deal.

41. freshtodef80 said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm

How Sweet It Is!!

42. TedSpe said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Who won?

43. twinfan said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Good night, my friends.

44. Extend bochy said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm

wow i hated on bochy and sabean but i will eat my humble pie and absolutely thankful they both proved me wrong …….. GO GIANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TedSpe said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Yeah, well go fuck yourself.Flappers questioned, pondered and felt quiziacle. But never hated.
      So again..go FUCK YOURSELF!!!
      GIANTS!!!

• TedSpe said, on October 23, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Sorry. Typing drunk. That should be “quizzical”.
      But again…
      GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!
      And I mean that with all due respec…..shit, no I don’t
      GO FUCK YOURSELF

45. ewisco said, on October 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm

dodgerblonde,

i want to make sure you get credit for calling a ws before the first pitch was thrown.

atta babe!

46. TedSpe said, on October 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

POTG? Affeldt
    POTD? All of them

47. TedSpe said, on October 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I can’t fucking sleep.

Thanks Flav/Craig for giving us the ONEFLAPDOWN77.COM

It’s so weird. All you mofos have taught me so much and cracked me up all year. It was like fucking kismet. All the arguements about fucking lineups and screw ups and fuckups and this ups and that ups but this group of mofos….
    The comradery has been incredible. Oh, sweet Lord, we must win the World Series. It’s hard to define but I truly, truly feel that the (Beach Boy reference unavoidable) good vibrations of all the Flappers this year has not only caused the Giants to win the pennant…but guarantees a World Series win!!!
    I pray that statement causes not a jinx.But all of us. We held through. We thought positive. We loved our Giants.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in San Francisco and throughout the land now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

Funny. I had to memorize that for an acting class way back when. And I finally get it. I finally get it.

I love the Giants. But, in a way…I love the Flap even more.
    Again, thanks Flav/Craig

• TedSpe said, on October 23, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Ah, yes. But I was remiss

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

48. zumarust said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:01 am

Party on, Ted! The night is young!

• shaman_138 said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:04 am

I’m still partying on and it’s 5. I think I’m getting too young for this.

49. snarkk said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

To the Giants organization, and their fans ’round the world, it could not be more true and appropos, that in the inimitable words of WC Fields: “All things considered, I’d rather be in Philadelphia”….

• TedSpe said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:21 am

And as he laiyeth on his deathbed, reading the Bible, a friend asketh… why? And he sayeth:”Looking for some loopeholes”

I can’t sleep

50. shaman_138 said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:05 am

TedSpe, it’s five thirty, I’m still drunk, I can’t sleep! We’re gonna CRUSH the Rangers! Fuck TX and their GWB baseball team, the series is OURS!!

51. delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 7:57 am

There best not be another goddamn game today—I can’t this shit any more!

We’re going to the World Series! We’re going to the World Series! W’re going to the World Series!

Damn, that’s sounds pretty good.