Glory today, But Destiny Awaits…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 24, 2010

The plan was to run down to the end of the street…..

After Uribe hit that bomb and I hit my daughter in the eye with an errant high five (fixed with an ice cream sandwich), I decided that we needed to dial this down a bit and an end-of-the-game celebration needed to be choreographed. I was thinking quickly but not skillfully, so if the Giants won the Pennant, THE PLAN was: Tear ass out of the house and run down to the end of the street. We took off our socks since only a fool would run in the rain with their socks on…..

Despite the two walks, I felt like the first two outs came rather easily…..

Ryan Howand……

I watched the game at a friend’s house–great guy but he’s not really a baseball fan. As Howard came to the plate and the homerless stat came up he commented, “Why worry about this guy?  He hasn’t hit a home run in 54 at bats.” I didn’t have time to explain to Dave the actual concern that Howard presented. So there we stood, three sockless chumps, praying for one more precious out. I don’t remember how many pitches it took, it’s all kind of a blank moment. But I do remember the most perfect pitch I’ve ever seen leave Bee-wheeezy’s hand….head toward the batter…..bend dramatically near the finish….and end up in Posey’s glove……

I didn’t see a second of what happened after that, I bolted out of Dave’s house, my daughter trailing  behind me, running in bare feet through the rain down to the end of the street. I’ll never forget that moment, it was a release I’ve never felt before. I can’t even describe what it felt like. It was like I was experiencing every moment of the 2010 season with each stride I took. I was re-living every hit, ever win, every loss, just….everything.

As I held Katie’s hand on the way back to Dave’s house (Dave broke our fellowship and didn’t join us in successful execution of  *THE PLAN*) I was thinking about Keith Law. If you’ve never read KLAW or listened to his live chats you should give it a whirl some time. He’s unbelievably smart, knows every stat imaginable, and translates the game brilliantly to the common fan. He’s also completely full of shit. He hates the Giants and has spent the last 2 years telling the world how bad they are and what a horrible GM Brian Sabean is. So as we walked back to Dave’s, I was wondering what KLAW was doing at that moment. I was fairly certain he wasn’t running through a nighttime storm in his bare feet. Has he finally accepted how wrong he was about this team? KLAW and all his national cronies have piled on the Giants and Sabean RELENTLESSLY for years now. Yet here we are, going to the World Series. There has never been a greater feeling of satisfaction than I had last night, celebrating my team’s victory in the rain with my daughter and knowing that the “KLAW’s” of the world had nothing but boring, dry feet to walk with……

We did it, my friends, we got here. Here we are. We are here. Don’t forget how you felt in the moment last night. When life sucks, people are pissing you off, nothing is going right…. take yourself back to that moment. No matter what happens next week we will always have that moment. It’s attached to my soul. There aren’t words invented that can explain how proud I am to be a San Francisco Giants fan this morning…..

My friend Shannon took this photo after the game

1. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m both thrilled for and jealous of Katie. To be going through this at such a young age. Giants baseball. Torture? Not to her and it never will be as she’ll always have 2010.

2. willied said, on October 24, 2010 at 8:59 am

Kruk at least credited SF for ruining his prediction, said they did everything better–pitching, fielding, timely hitting. Even Bobby V said that while SF will be underdog, they can’t be dismissed as lightly as before. And they all love Wilson…what a national stage he’s getting, interviews all over the place after closing out all the Ws in dramatic fashion.

So where the fuck IS Arlington? Near the central or north part of the state? Open air park, right? So why did AL decide to go there, with 100 degree summers when most resdients would rather watch some team practice football? It’s supposed to be raining and in the 80s in that part of the country….what exactly is weather report for fucking Arlington Texas in November? anyone ever been there? wilco?

• TedSpe said, on October 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

Vern and Vera went to Arlington by mistake for what they thought was was a NLDS game. Ask them.

3. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 9:02 am

WillieD I had the same conversation last night with Dave about where/what Arlington is. Time permitting, the newly grown beard is getting dyed today. Before and after pics to follow…….

4. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2010 at 9:05 am

5. Bozo said, on October 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

Mimosas for breakfast and Boozoo Chavis on the stereo this morning. I keep doing my little happy dance. Kept the village I live in, up last night.
    We’re going to the Ship, we’re going to the Ship.
    I’m one happy mother fucker this morning.
    Thanks y’all for putting up with me.
    Every 56 years like CLOCKWORK. Going to the Ship and this time, we win it .

6. Macdog said, on October 24, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’ll be out and about today rockin’ the orange and black here in my little piece of Jersey, hoping to draw some icy stares from the stunned Philly Phaithful. What a grand day to be a Giants fan!

7. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 9:58 am

that pic Shannon took of Coit tower last night is haunting and an absolutely perfect way to acknowledge the season

8. stixwiz said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:01 am

If you’re go-ing
    to San Fran Cisco
    be sure to wearrrrrrrrrr
    some black and orange gear.
    If you’re go-ing
    to San Fran Cisco
    LOVE THE GIANTS
    is all that you will hear.

(okay, gang, so i’m an old S.F. hippy from the Sixties and that piece of music ~or its original equivalent has been coursing through my mind since last night. Won’t be making it in person and haven’t lived there since the fall of ’69, but the spirit of The City is still within. Anybody else inspired by the tune is invited to add some lines. This is a day to let it all hang out. Join the fun. It’s all music to our ears cause the Giants are the National League Champions.

9. Sportdude said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:20 am

A little hung over…but worth it! Don’t know about the rest of you, but at first I was hoping the NY Tex series to go 7 so Lee wouldn’t go in game 1. Now I am kinda glad we get him game one. It becomes a MUST win for them. We beat Halliday game one when no one thought we would. Same recipe this time. Tex isn’t lights out at home. I think we split first two, take 2/3 in Tex, and win in game 6 again….

10. Sportdude said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:23 am

PS Same rotation as before. Dirty will dominate. We need him to pitch at home, so games 2 / 6 makes sense.

11. paulinasia said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:24 am

Ah, Flappers, after long silence (internet and computer problems galore in Saigon), I just wanted to stop by and say congrats. The team couldn’t have done it with out you. I am visiting my parents at the moment in Stroudsburg, PA. My Dad is a long-time Philly fan. He’s 94 years old. What fun it was watching these games with him this past week. Went thru several bottles of Laphroaig scotch together. Torture along the way, but in the end… pure joy. For me, anyway. Too many thoughts and observations to comment on, except this: I have never been so happy to see such a demonstrative and energetic strike-3 call from an umpire. Sweet to watch even the reply of just his call on that. Icing on the cake: I fly into SF on Wed. afternoon for 2 evenings before flying back to Saigon. Nice to be there at this time. Enjoy, ya’ll. And Michael… best wishes…

• TedSpe said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:35 am

paulinfuckinasia!!!!
      You were just steps away from becoming a myth

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Glad to hear from you Paul. I figured you for a classy guy, a little Laphroaig confirms it….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I was genuinely worried about Paulinasia. Welcome back. I’m flying in too. Meet me and Flavor (Magnus) et al. on Wednesday, okay?

12. stixwiz said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:29 am

Paul, good to hear from you again. Enjoy the moment.

13. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

I confess that I did not think they’d win last night, after the first inning. It had more to do with the Phils-I expected more from them. But then look at what we took away-the play by Torres to keep Rollins at third, clutch pitch after clutch pitch from the pen… and the indomitable Juan…
    I’ll post more on the season later but a note for Mr. Howard: that was in your wheelhouse, thank you very much and have a fine winter…

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

when I watched the replay, i too got to enjoy his stammer and turn to the ump. How the hell you don’t get of a swing when it’s your last one of the season is amazing to me

14. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:40 am

haha, the man knows when to make an entrance. Welcome back, Paul.

15. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

and don’t be such a stranger, Paul. I see you on facebook so I know you aren’t totally without internet access. If you hit facebook, hit the flap too!

• paulinasia said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

Well, Ted, I have indeed somewhat mythed the Flap… BF, my students drag me kicking and screaming into facebook.. but I will come back here. I think I got a little blogged-out awhile back. What a great fucking season this has been. On we go.

16. xootsuit said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

For those of you haven’t noticed, the video over on sfgiants.com of Uribe’s homer and the final perfect pitch includes three separate versions — first you get Buck’s Fox tv call, then Jon Miller’s call and last a Philly announcer’s call. Fun to watch over and over, of course. 😉 So that part’s fine. But the different tones are a kick too hear, too. Especially on Uribe’s homer. Buck’s voice has notes of alarm and disappointment from the the moment the ball leaves the bat. He sounds almost quizzical, as if he thought Uribe’s bomb was defying the laws of physics as it left the park. Jon Miller’s call, on the other hand, is perfect, arcing upward just the way the fly ball to RF arced, full of possibility and rising hope, and ending, loudly, in jubilation.

It’s just so cool to be on the side of jubilation this morning.

17. Bozo said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:49 am

I know this is sad BUT, I sure loved watching the Phillie phans sucking on their rally towels.
    I think I’ve watched Juan’s HR and BW’s last pitch about 4 times already today (just making sure I wasn’t dreaming).

18. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

Dude: send me your address
    twinfan1@hotmail.com.

And the rest of you: get in World Series pick: Giants’ runs, HRs, Buster hits. I’lll do system details later. If a previous winner wins, prize goes to second place, preevie gets a gift certificate. Let’s get some laggards in this one- I don’t want your daughters or your secrets…

19. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

XOOT–thanks for the heads up on the different “calls”…..
    Where’s San Diggity Dawg? Check in my man, I need me some Yamid Haad perspective!

20. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:05 am

Today is my birthday and I couldn’t be happier.

I got some nice gifts and phone calls but nothing beats the bomb that Uribe delivered last night. I’ve been jocking Uribe all year. Calling him this club’s MVP. There is no doubt about it.

I would like to take this opportunity to further point out the obvious. Bochy, Sabean and yes Bud “The AS Game Winner Gets Home Field Advantage” Selig are all geniuses.

HUMMM BABY!

21. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:10 am

One of the last baseball series the GREAT Buck, Jack, did was the 1991 World Series. I forget which game but it ended with a bang-bang call at the plate which Buck captured with an initial ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!!!! call followed by saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafe!!!!! It perfectly captured the closeness of the play, the drama, the hesitation by the umpire…and the fucking network changed it. They later deleted his initial out call to make it appear they had it right “all along”. I’ve never forgotten that.
    Joe is actually an extremely competent announcer but his smug priggishness permeates the broadcast. McCarver can be insightful but he needs a loosy-goosy partner, a man to cut the bull. He’d be fine with Miller..

22. xootsuit said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:16 am

I think Neukom’s standing pretty tall amid all of these clubhouse celebrations. He looks to me like a guy proudly watching his smart, audacious plans pay off. (Far different from Magowan, who always seemed somewhat dazed, but happy, to see Bonds and the rest of the team carry him so far.) Neukom deserves some props, too.

23. Kevin said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:17 am

Some Sports writer in the Bee just gave Ross a new nickname or not, I have not heard it, maybe one of you have called him this “Cody the Clutch”!! great name!!

24. Kevin said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:21 am

I am think the orange T-shirt with NL champs on front and Roster on the back!!

25. Billy said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:25 am

Does anyone even care if the niners win today? I’m firing down bloody marys like the giants won the pennant last night – which they did.

26. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:27 am

I am thonk

27. willied said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:36 am

NIce call on Howard….he likes to extend his arms and whack that pitch into LCF. He could have tied it or worse with a knock, didn’t even offer at it.

How cool for Juan Uribe with another GWRBI. According to FanGraphs, he was worth $12 mil this year (if I read it right), and as we all know on the open market for anyone to sign past off season, even after a stellar 2009 for SF. So were Huff and Burrell, and Ross was a waiver guy Marlins didn’t even bother to get anything for.

Sabean gets a lot of heat, not all of which is undeserved, but what about the rest of the GMs who passed up these guys, and overpaid for other alternatives? And yes, Benjie has to be thinking the same thing.

If the rotation stays the same, too much rest for Cain?

28. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:49 am

I seem to recall some remarks about “how depressing” when I posted that I thought Ross would be the RFer next year. Doesn’t seem so unappealing right now, does it?

• willied said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I was one that wasn’t too impressed with him at first. He wasn’t hitting much, hadn’t stolen any bases, lack of power despite FLA numbers, and blew the play in RF that cost us a game. Maybe he just needed to get comfortable and adjust, but he is sure dominating now. Hopefully this means final straw for Rowand—Sf can live without him, and give young guys a shot at back up OF (Nate’s role) slot.

Twin, I do think Burrell returns without question, and is starting LF next year. Sure he is slow in OF, but so many professional ABs and patience at the plate. I think he has at least one more good year left.

29. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 11:55 am

I was just over at the “old” blogspot location. Opening day predictions are interesting to read through. Here’s mine.

dirtnrocksnreno said…
    It is opening day. I am optomistic. So fucking shoot me.

91 Wins. Wild Card entry. First rounds exit.

Franchez will be a great addition when he finally laces ’em up and is injury free the rest of the year. Lincecum backslides a little (15 Ws) but Cain wins 18. Dirty goe for 14 wins. Zits achieves .500. Sandoval 29 hr.

If Sabean makes a move for a legit stick. NLDS here we come baby!

So I missed the wins by one and missed picking advancing to the WS. Being wrong has never felt so good.

I’m convinced that the positive vibes created by the Flapper Nation has sent some positive juju towards SF all season.

Flav, This site rocks. Thanks brother.

30. xootsuit said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm

“a skinny pitcher in his first postseason” last paragraph:

Years ago I heard Krukow say he loved his time with the Giants in large part because he loved being the bad guy, the guy in the black hat.

Of course, if GWBush shows up at the Tx games, the Giants will gain a whole lot of fans real quick.

31. ewisco said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm

so i’m thinking, what about cain and madbum at home, tim, sanchez, cain in TX . madbum back at home and timmie for game 7. that’s only one start for sanchez and i’m not sure he deserves more. puts a lot of pressure on madbum but he seems capable. of course, you could always swap him for zito : )

32. Michael said, on October 24, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’m hoping Matt gets game one. Everybody on full rest…

• JBat said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

That’s not a bad idea.

33. DJLoo said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm

A friend of mine, based on the stereotypes of the 2 cities, is calling the WS “Steers vs,. Queers”
    GO QUEERS!!!

34. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:05 pm

DIRT— Big Happy Birthday to you. This has been a great day. I still can’t get over how many people are into this. EVERY SINGLE PLACE I GO PEOPLE ARE TALKING GIANTS BASEBALL! It’s like the whole Bay Area has turned into the goddamn Flap….

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Building the Flavor Nation. One Flap at a time.

35. Michael said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Learning why he hasn’t gone to Carr..

36. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Somehow, the Niners have figured out how to lose this game. Jesus Christ!

37. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:14 pm

oh well, I’m dying my beard black, not red and gold. It’s still AAAAAALLLLLLLLMotherfuckingGood!!!!!!!!!!!

38. JBat said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

It’s time for Mike Singletary to go bye bye. 1-6.

39. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

They needed to let Carr throw earlier. If you have zero confidence, get rid of him. If Alex isn’t good to go next week, cue the Nate Davis era. Why not ?

40. DJLoo said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:18 pm

So many ways Bochy can go with the rotation. Cain should absolutely start Game One. You can get very creative after that…

41. alleykat said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Is there anyway the 49ers could just go to London and stay there?

42. delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Singletary is a goddamn embarrassment. He’s in so much over his head it’s not even funny any more. Yelling and screaming at his players and the refs is not coaching, it’s desperation. Losing to the unmentionable Panthers should be the final straw but he’ll last until after London. Sickening, that’s all I can conjure up when I think of the Niners, just plain sickening.

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Sing might as well stay in London and take a tour of jolly old England. He won’t be HC after the game at Wembley…

43. DJLoo said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Did Chuck’s Niner blog go out of business?

• delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

He went away for the weekend to LA, Loo. Everyone kind of took a bye as well.
      I’m sure he’ll have a few comments on Monday. Hey, your Chefs are looking mighty tough. They’re looking good for the AFC West. Now there’s some coaching going on over there. Great job by Haley, Weis and Crennel. That trifecta runs around the track twice against our Mr. Ed and company.

44. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Over 30 yards passing to that squad is a disgrace, 12 penalties…. this year is all on the coach. He has done what we thought he would-imposed his will on the team. But what has it wrought? A frightened team rising and falling on the emotion of virtually every play. They need Bonehead..

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Bonehead, no bluster, but competent. And in this post-season, he has pushed all the right buttons. I can’t argue with his success. The proof is in the pudding. My SF cap is tipped to the Bonehead.

As for Sing, all bluster, and nothing backing it up. He is so far from Bochy’s competence level, it’s scary. In Texas, he’s “all hat, no cattle”…

45. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I was just reading the box from last night. 18 players got into that game. Amazing.

46. blade3colorado said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:47 pm

A sore loser Rockies friend of mine is telling me that this is the “Steers Vs. Queers” World Series . . . I couldn’t help myself, but I did laugh 🙂 (Obligatory Gay Ass Smiley Face ).

47. DJLoo said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Does everybody have me on ignore?

48. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Just waiting for a trade, Loo.

49. delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Game 1 – Cain
    Game 2 – Timmy
    Game 3 – Bumgarner
    Game 4- Dirrrty

Bum HAS to pitch on the road. He just does. Whatever rhythm or reason—he pitches better on the road. And fuck the R/L shit. And Sanchez gets demoted to #4—just because.

And lastly, but not definitely not in the least—-NO Whitey on the roster. WTF has he done vs Atlanta and Philly? That’s right, absolutely nothing but take up space. Having NO Whitey is in essence rooting for Buster to literally die during the WS. That’s the only way NO Whitey comes in is if Buster gets carted off on a goddamn gurney. We could use Velez or Ford for some late inning speed on the base paths a lot more than a gray-bearded president from 1864 rooting from the dugout. John Wilkes Booth Vern and Vera’s only begotten son and get us someone who could actually help us out in the World Series. Sorry Mrs. Whiteside, your son needs to go. I promise to send flowers.

50. DJLoo said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Don’t forget the DH for 3 games. Resurrect Guillen?

51. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Sandoval is the DH.

52. snarkk said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I guess we, and the Giants, were right for Zito to sit out the playoffs….

53. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

fuck Guillen. He did almost nothing for us (except win one game) and that’s when he was happy and playing everyday. I think he hit 3 home runs for us in 40 something games……

54. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I’m beginning to agree with Snarkk on Buster. He’s too good to catch. Switch him and Panda next year and go get a real back up for Pablo. Sandoval should not be traded so forget Panda, Bumgarner, Wheeler, and Runzler for
    Garret Atkins, Loo-igi…

55. raymond said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm

yes!!!!!! jumped so high from my stressed crouched position last night, that almost pulled my cheek muscles!!!! so f-ing excited!!! btw told all I know that I’m dying my playoff beard black come ws!!! flav-I’ll send u the pic once I’ve done the deed tonight!!!

56. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 2:59 pm

So I just got tickets to game 1. Anyone else going but me? 🙂

57. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Awesome. I will post any picture sent to me by a dude who has dyed his hair black

58. delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

The fat little taco-eating bastard has to play. Either 3B (preferably) or DH, but we need the Orson Welles doppleganger’s bat. I love Rent’s leadership and professionalism, but he can’t swing the bat given his current state of affairs. In case you haven’t noticed, our lineup sucks. We can’t score any runs. Would ya rather have Rowand DH? Surely you jest.

Maybe the fat little fucker goes on a late-night enchilada run next. Red or green sauce for the portly Panda? He can have both for I’ll I care, but his fat ass best be in our lineup each night.

59. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:15 pm

OK, I’ll call the WS prize a “mid-level gamer”, get your picks in, I want 20 minimum. :
    Thermaltake V3 Black Midtower, 500W PSU
    2.6 GHZ AMD Quad Core Processor (that’s 4 cores at 2.6 per core)
    Asus AM3 DDR3 Motherboarsd
    2 GB DDR3 Memory
    250 GB SATA II Hard Drive ( I know that’s not big by today’s standards but externals are inexpensive now if you need more)
    22X DVD-RW ( burns and reads DVDs and CDs)
    All-in-One Card Reader
    1 GB ATI HD 4670 Graphics Card with DVI and HDMI
    Logitech Speakers and USB Keyboard/Mouse
    Windows 7 Home Premium

twinfan1@hotmail.com

Runs, HRs, Buster hits

60. delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm

The fucking “Steers” are -130, “Queers” +110 for the series.

No respect for us queers. Remember playing “smear the queer” when you were younger? I loved that football game. Nothing beats the shit outta six pubescent-hormone raging 12-year-olds gang-tackling the “queer” with the football. No personal foul for roughing the passer in that game. Smear that goddamn queer.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:13 pm

must object to this in light of certain well-reported events nationally, though I’m sure it was meant to be harmless

• delmardennis said, on October 24, 2010 at 6:09 pm

your objection is duly noted: no offense intended.

61. zumarust said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:32 pm

A couple of guys I know got their hair cut into mohawks today, in honor of the Giants going to the Series. They’re two guys in their 20s, and it’s cool to see their enthusiasm for the Giants. Their generation isn’t just all NFL and Ultimate fighting.

62. zumarust said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Call off the dogs, Raiders!!

63. xootsuit said, on October 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm

My older kid came home to visit last weekend sporting a black mohawk. His beard, however, looks about like Buster Posey’s, so I don’t think that’s gonna be as impressive. He’s really pressing hard to get me to spring for tickets. Man, four seats would run up quite a tab. . . .

Anyone interested in the issue of sports medicine malpractice and mlb might take a look over at the Drumbeat, where Dallas Braden’s recenlty filed complaint for negligence is the talk of the blog. (“Was there a game last night? Huh! Didn’t notice. But in A’s news . . . .”) Apparently a doctor tried to treat a simple cyst on Braden’s foot and accidentally severed an important nerve. Now there’s some damage to a person and a career, proximately caused.

64. JBat said, on October 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Dennis, no shocker whatsoever that the Rangers are the early favorite. They are the easy pick. After the Giants take ’em down, all those “prognosticators” can eat some fucking crow.

I played smear the queer all the time with my brother and friends when I was young. Ah, the times before political correctness reared its ugly head.

Is anyone concerned that Benji could give the Ranger hitters some dirt on the G pitchers that might actually help them?

65. stixwiz said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Over at MLBTR they did a poll of their readers on whether the DeRangers or the Gigantes would be the big winner. When i checked in early in the P.M it was running a thousand plus change for Texas and 500 + heavy change for S.F. So it’s almost a two to one margin by those fans who think they know baseball. Of course, the Giants have battled odds since game one.

Has anyone else noted that earlier in the season they tended to run a ways behind on one-run contests, but turned it around more and more as the season progressed? In the Division and Championship series they have been almost steadily winning the shavers. Texas has some pretty heavy offensive weaponry, no doubt. Giants pitchers have specialized in keeping most big bats quiet most of the time, with the LCS vs the Phillies being a prime example.

Average fans, particularly those tuned into the national sports media, tend to be wowed by the artillery and overlook defense and the guys on the hill. It’s almost a football mindset, expecting and awaiting the Big Bomb from some superstar slugger. Judging by that poll taken by MLBTR, it is not only the average fans who tend to place too much emphasis on hitting.

Texas bested a Yankees team with a fair to partly middling Phil Hughes; a slowly declining Andy Pettit, who still has his moments and a Carsten Sabathia who MAY not be as overpaid as Barry Zito, because, like Pettit, he can still bring it and occasionally dominate. Except for the gradually declining Mariano Rivera, the Yankees BP clearly sucks scheisskendorfers and was that team’s Achilles Heel throughout the season and P.S.

66. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Section 332. Wow, not the greatest section but we are on the rail and the best part is that my seat………is…….free……….

67. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Happy birthday, Reno. Welcome back, AsianPaul. Stroudsburg is 3 hours from me. My mom just turned 94….and is great. I’ll meet y’all Wed. w/ Magnus? BTW, Howard’s called strike reminded me of Bonds’s to end to 2000 season. YOU CANNOT TAKE A PITCH THAT CLOSE WITH THAT COUNT IN THAT SITUATION. I hate it when people keep caps lock on. I’m tired today but basking basking basking. Oh. And Magnus, beauty of a post today and thanks once again for this venue.

68. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

If any of you regs are going to be at the Game on Wednesday and want to hook up for a beer or five and just get to know each other a bit before game time, shoot me an email. Right now it’s just me and Pawlie (and my buddy who secured the seats) but any and all are welcome……..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm

They’d better have some soda, iced tea, or Pellegrino for me.

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

yeah, of course, whatever you’re having you have, I’ll have what I have. I just want to shake your hand dude, anything else is all good…..

69. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Fun reading the Philly papers on the ride home today. Mostly kind to their team, mostly condescending to us, calling more lucky than talented. They didn’t savage Howard. But all of them are stunned, aghast, players, fans, and press. They can’t believe it. One or more writer annoyingly said Phils had better pitching, hitting, defense, etc. Really? Pitching? Honestly? I still owe you all my Philadelphia Story. Some day, not today.

• snarkk said, on October 24, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Well, there WERE weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. We just didn’t find ’em…

70. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Pawlie, thanks man. I appreciate it. You were at the game last night? Details.

Good to see Paul from Asia make an appearance.

Where the he’ll is Chi?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I was at the Academy of Music, Market Street, seeing daughter perform. It was grand. Maybe it saved me from a coronary.

71. Macdog said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Hey Reno, same for me, Happy Birthday! What a heckuva present!

Just thought I’d share a couple game experiences from last night. Listening to the Phillies station in the 8th, about 10 minutes from home, and the Philly announcer says something about how Uribe is someone who can pop one. Within seconds, it’s Juan Gone time and that announcer must’ve turned as white as a Halloween ghost.

I get home just after Victorino’s hit off Timmy and plant myself on the couch. To the back right is a treadmill (folded up) and I hear something stirring, must be one of our two cats — a gray tiger and a whitish Siamese-Calico. Now it’s the mid-9th, I glance over to the treadmill and see . . . A BLACK CAT. As calmly as possible given the situation, I tell my wife there’s a black cat in the house. She says we’ve taken him in from a friend of hers who can no longer keep him. I say nothing.

Well, of course, the Giants won the pennant, and my wife was probably the most relieved person in all of Jersey. She then said, “See, the black cat was good luck because we gave him a home.”

72. Flavor said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm

great story, Mac. Sorry you can’t be out here to revel in all of this. It’s truly amazing what this team has turned the Bay Area into……..

• Macdog said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I have a friend who works at Continental Airlines and is tempting me to go out there. I’ll at least look into it.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Mac,
        I did Priceline for the very first time. $388 r/t from Rochester, NY. And that was THEIR price, no bidding, which I’d do as well as Clubber.

73. twinfan said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Lee is why. Beat him once and they win in 5. The other guys are just not the kind of finesse pitchers who seem to handle our guys. I look for the return of the long ball to the SF arsenal…
    I’m going to add to Xoot’s post and stress again the value of NOT trusting first opinions. They read my MRI up here at St. Helena as a recurrence of a brain tumor. If I did not have UCSF on board and had them the review the MRI, the oncologists here would be doing full brain radiation including radiating good issue….. on a dead tumor.

74. DJLoo said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:49 pm

All the Met fans I know are rooting for the Giants. They love them for knocking off the hated Braves and Philies. And of course they worship me.

• Macdog said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Same with me, Loo. Every Mets fan I know is relishing this — and the Yanks’ demise, of course.

75. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 24, 2010 at 5:53 pm

What is the deal with Lee? Is he a big time asshole or something? 4th team in what is it 3 years? With that talent?

I have seen some of his interviews and he seems like a confident guy.

I think this is going 7 with home field being the x factor.