Matching Up With Texas

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 25, 2010

It’s only Monday, still almost 3 days away from GAME ONE, but I have heard quite enough about Cliff Lee. We’ve beaten Ubaldo, Halladay, Oswalt, Wainwright….the list is long if you’re listing off all the stud pitchers the Giants have beaten this year. Lee’s stuff is good, I wouldn’t call it outstanding. Ubaldo Jimenez, for example, has more electric stuff. The problem with facing Lee is that he’s probably the smartest pitcher in the league. Krukow will be beside himself trying to describe how good a pitcher Lee is. If you watched the Tex/TB game (specifically the 2nd one) there was a shot of Lee walking off the mound in the 8th inning where he was laughing and shaking his head. He just couldn’t believe how easy it was to fool the young Tampa hitters and how simple it was to get them to chase his pitches. We could definitely have a problem with that if we take our usual “HR or Bust” attitude to the plate……

But after Lee, they’ve got nothing in the starting rotation. As we know, the #4 guy can often shut us down the same way the #1 guy can do it. But, the good thing about our hitters is you usually get the same type of production out of them game in, game out. It always feels like we’ve got about 2 hits by the 7th inning then someone, somehow, hits a solo bomb to put us ahead or we scratch out a run off an opponent mistake. We’ll get our 2 or 3 runs a game in the World Series. Will that be enough?

Most people would say “Hell no, Texas has too good of an offense”. But here’s the deal: Texas hasn’t EVER faced a pitching staff like this: top to bottom, from the first inning to Bee-Weeezy, there is no break whatsoever. I’m counting on our pitchers shutting down the Rangers the same way we shut down the *other* team that was supposed to be SOOOOO strong offensively (Ryan Howard, are you gonna keep that bat on your shoulder all Winter?).

The other argument against us is that the AL is much stronger than the NL. We’ll see. I don’t buy that. Again, the AL has their flashy bats to be sure. But none of them have faced a staff like this. So I like our chances. Our bats will do what they always do—just enough. Their bats will be WORSE than they usually are thanks to our neutralizing pitching staff. I think that’s the difference and that’s what’s going to get us our first crown here in San Francisco. I can’t wait to watch the hero’s emerge……..

1. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:03 am

I wish I had your optimism Flav…but I am a Giants fan!!!

2. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:23 am

I had a number of Yankee fans here in DC say, “Oh yeah, cant wait to face Lee, we will kill him.” Cliff Lee is as close to unhittable as it comes in baseball and the their lineup is nowhere near as vulnerable from one side of the plate as the Phillies proved to be.

We have two major things going our way:

1) Home Field….Vlad now has to either sit or play right field!

2) Cliff Lee looks like will only start Games 1 and 5. We could surive two Lee losses and still get back to SF and win at home.

We have two major things going against us:

1) Bengie Molina and his thorough knowledge of our pitching and hitting and the negative karma of trading him this season/

2) Our history of coming up short and now we once again face an AL West team who has not only never won a World Series, they have never been to the World Series.

This Ranger lineup is so much better than the Philies. Josh Hamilton is the most dangerous hitter in baseball right now and add in Cruz, Kinsler, Young and Vlad free swinging, they are such more dangerous than the Phillies and we have no book on them with our pitchers.

And I think their pitching is going to surprise you Flav. CJ Wilson and Colby Lewis are legit. Jonathan has been the weak link and pitching him Game 3 in Texas may be a mistake…

Beating the Rangers will be a much bigger upset than the Phillies, but I will pray for victory in seven games without Cliff Lee.

3. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:25 am

I will close this morning with the suggestion that they need to start Matt Cain in Game 1 and consider pitching Cain in Games 4 and 7 and have Bumgarner available in Game 3 in Texas if Sanchez pulls another Salomon Torres…

4. ewisco said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:34 am

Cain in one but it’s timmie time in 3 and 7. As i said yesterday, i’d go cain, madbum, tim, sanchez (heck i’d take a long look at zito in arlington with sanchez available for relief?), cain, madbum and timmie.

we beat lee in game one and that’s going to rock TX world. Cain loses in game one, no big deal.

5. Kevin said, on October 25, 2010 at 8:46 am

I think the Giants hitters thrive on the fact that they get no respect (Hello Rodney). I agree with BF, Texas has not seen a starting 3-4 pitchers like what the Giants have. I also would like to see Matt start game 1. I don’t put much stock in what order you start your rotation. this is the WS, if the giants are up 3-2 like with Phiilly, every starter will be in the bull pen!! I have a question. Who will DH when in Texas? I kinda of see Rowand in that spot.

6. alleykat said, on October 25, 2010 at 8:53 am

He who forces the most mistakes wins the most.Look at Victorino,and Ibanez.Two dropped flyballs they normally catch,lead to Giants runs in one-run victory games.Sometimes its that simple.

7. willied said, on October 25, 2010 at 8:57 am

One analysis I read said Texas has way more “free swing” type of hitters, less discipline than Philly/NY. We can usually handle those guys better than high OB types like Braves (at full strength of course). Trying to whack one out of ATT in November, at night, isn’t like hitting in Texas or Yankee bandbox.

But, GH has a good point…the other SPs of Texas pitched very well vs. NY and their monster LU. They had the first game won vs. CC til the pen blew it.

I’d be more concerned about keeping the disruptive speed guys off the bases (still can’t forget J Damon and last year), and it will be interesting to see how Bochy plays the LU when he gets to use DH. And I’m with Dennis…leave Panda in there and let Uribe play SS. I don’t think you lose much on D with that set up and he’s hitting way better than Rent.

8. JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:01 am

The Giants remind me of th ’97 Marlins, but with better pitching.

9. Kevin said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:04 am

There are going to be some very disappointed Texas hitters at AT&T park. I say you leave the rotation the way it ended, So Cain, Bum, Tim, that way Tim pitches the first game in Texas and Sanchez does not have to worry about the first road game. Also Bum at home is better also. IMO. I don’t know about 3rd base. Was this Fontenot’s first playoffs, was he nervous. Panda did show more patience at the plate the last two games. So I say let Bochy work his magic and go with it.

10. xootsuit said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:12 am

The left side of the IF grabs my attention. Uribe plays — case closed, no further argument. But Renteria’s a problem. (17 PA in this postseason with one single and one BB.) And Pablo’s a problem. (You all understand that, as well or better than I do.) And Fontenot’s not the solution. If Rent’s healthy, does Bochy just go with SP matchups — Pablo vs. RH, Rent, LH? Or do we see Pablo only as the DH in Tx and only pinch hitting at home?

Otherwise, I’m pretty sanguine. The Rangers just don’t have the pitching depth in the rotation or in the bullpen necessary to shut the Giants down for 4 games. (Keep Elvis off the basepaths and Hamilton in the park, however.)

• Nipper said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

sanguine?

11. blade3colorado said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:19 am

Kat and Willied make good points about the team that makes the least mistakes will probably win; and, limiting the damage or opportunities their “speed” guys have (best way to do that is keep them off the bases . . . Once they are on, it obviously becomes more diffiicult).

Related to the Rangers outstanding speed, I forgot exactly what Twin said, but I thought he suggested that Velez be added to the roster to bolster our own overall speed . . . I think that would be a good idea for Botchy and Sabean to consider.

12. Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:26 am

Kevin, there’s no way the Giants don’t lead off with Timmy.

Texas’ team speed is a problem. The Giants were fairly successful at keeping Victorino off teh bases. They MUST do the same with their speed guys. It will likely come down to the defense. The Giants CANNOT give outs away. Not with their speed. Fontenot was terrible, and Sandoval was shakey at best. Is Rent hurt? Uribe at 3rd and Rent as SS may be the way to go, but Rent’s bicep apparently fell off, or some shit.

Texas’ pen was shakey, and gave away a ton of baserunners, but NY didn’t take full advantage. That is key for the G’s. Take the walks, move the runners, drive them in. The Giants did well in that respect in most of these playoff games. They weren’t as dependent on the bombs as they were down the stretch.

And someone tell Torres to go get a Barry Bonds 32 oz. bat. You ain’t Willie McCovey, Andres . . .

• snarkk said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:43 am

In the Philly series, Rent generally looked like he was a guy about ready to retire. Which he is. No pop, no energy, though he still takes a good AB. When he makes contact, it looks like the ball barely comes off his bat. Rent should play a backbencher role in this Series, if health of the other infielders allows it…

13. Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:30 am

What was true for the Giants in Philly is true for the Rangers here. All they want is one win here.

Texas heading home 0-2 would be a nice start. Then it’s up to the Giants to take one there to get it to 6 here.

Giants in 6 . . .

14. zumarust said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:35 am

We need outstanding performances from our starting pitchers. It could happen. It has happened before. And it will be nice seeing the first time one of their hitters gets “AT&T-ed” and walks back to the dugout with Gumby shoulders.

15. zumarust said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

The Giants beat the Phillies without getting all that much from our 3,4,5 hitters. Just imagine if ONE of those guys has a terrific series. That alone would be huge.

16. zumarust said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:42 am

But having said all that. I’m just going to enjoy being in the World Series. Savor every day of it. I’m just not going to get super tense about it. ’02 was too heartbreaking to go through all that again. I just hope the foundation of our team is as good as it seems to be, and we have a chance to be a regular playoff team for years to come, and keep getting chances at a title. The Braves were able to turn a bunch of playoff appearances into a title. The key is to keep positioning yourself with that chance. Don’t have long gaps between playoff appearances.

17. alleykat said, on October 25, 2010 at 9:56 am

Manager Ron Washington has said Vlad will start at least one game in the OF of the first two games in SF.With David Murphy likely starting the other game. Guerrero started 16 games in R/F and one in L/F.He last played the OF Oct 2 against the Angels.Good luck with that one Rangers! Vlad with a glove? In the ATT Park OF? With it’s Triples Alley? And its in play bullpens? Major advantage Giants!!

Blade…I too would consider adding speed,,either Velez or Burriss.What the hell do we still need Mota on the roster.ON the last 2 series rosters,warmed up twice never got in a game.Wasted spot if you ask me.Of course you can say that about NO WHITEY as well.

18. JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:03 am

I’m going to try to savor it as well. Winning the pennant was pretty unexpected at the start of the season, and it’s one hell of an achievement for any team. As for the WS, ’02 lingers like a bad memory, and being up 5-0 late in game 6 is honestly the last time I really let myself believe the Giants could win it all. I gave them everything that night, and losing that game was devastating emotionally for me, and for others here, as well, I suspect. I have every game from that series on VHS and still haven’t been able to watch them. Most disappointed I’ve ever been as a sports fan.

But I’m starting to get that feeling again. With this group, and all they’ve done, it’s hard not to start thinking that this might finally be the team that goes all the way. It would be fitting for the San Francisco Giants franchise. With all those great teams they’ve had over the years, especially in the 60’s, but in ’02, also, teams that always came up just a bit short, it would take a rag-tag bunch like this, that believe in themselves, is bereft of any real superstars and scraps and claws and fights for everything they get, to win the World Series. It would be fitting indeed for this team to be the one that puts the Giants in the history books. Why the hell not.

In spite of all the talent the Rangers have, I think the G’s are going to get it done. After the Phillies series, I believe these guys can do anything. If they believe, why shouldn’t we?

19. delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:18 am

It’s only Monday morning and I’m already a complete nervous wreck. Let me see if I can get across one coherent cogent comment. Start the Horse Game 1. A) It gives Timmy an extra day. We’ve all seen how that works in his favor. B) It keeps the Horse on a more “normal” schedule. C) Should we lose to Lee in Game 1 [God forbid, no jinx] that would leave us our ace for Game 2 in what essentially would be a “must win” game. D) Should we beat Lee in Game 1 [please God, I really do believe in jinxes] that leaves us our ace for Game 2 in what essentially would be a “drive the first nail in” game.

That’s why this horse would start the Horse for Game 1.

Horse
    Timmy
    Bum
    Dirrrty

20. alleykat said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:22 am

Zumie and J Bat great post…..How long of a Baseball season has it been,to finally get this close to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for the Giants and their 1st World Series championship in SF?

Including 35 ST games,10 LDS and LCS games and 162 regulars season games,that all started last winter that’s 207 Major League games in 236 days.”Think about it” No wonder we are all going crazy but still excited at the same time.4 more Wins anyway,anyhow, just getter done! The Flap has your back!!

21. stixwiz said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

Texas looks like a classic W.S. team: Three blasters in the middle of the L.U.; an ace dreaded by everyone; couple of pretty decent S.P.’s backing him up; talented young closer and very good team speed. Giants counter with an ensemble of spare-part characters on the field and at the plate; best pitching staff in MLB and a driving, coherent team spirit characterized by a bunch of characters demonstrating character in game after game.

Interesting matchup. Most of the commentariat as well as two outta three of the more engaged fans of the game give a big edge to the DeRangers. Even here on the Flap, the mystique of Cliff Lee has many bloggers virtually conceding the games he starts. Sure, he’s smart, but he’s not unhittable. Bengie has his book, but not on Posey, Burrell and Ross. Watch those three batting against the Texas ace. Smart, careful, measured A.B.’s is what i expect to see from them. Possibly Huff as well. Come to think of it, Molina did not see that much of Franchez either. So by the early middle innings, anyway, those five may match up pretty well against him.

By the way: Lee will not be matched up against Barry Zito. Whether it’s Matt the Horse or Timmy the Freak, those maulers from the Lone Star State are not going to face the usual A.L. slurvers. No free lunch for those boys.
    As for the rest of the Texas rotation ~ couple of em are decent enough, but not better than the hurlers the Giants faced in a regular and sustained basis in the NL West. Wear those guys down. Build up their pitch count and soon enough Giants hitters will be facing a relief corps which the Yankees found to be quite delicious.

If it comes down to close-fought, grueling, hard-won games, one of these two teams has demonstrated time and again that it has the edge in those situations and as the season and P.S. progressed they became better and better in those torture sessions. No Flapper needs to be told the identity of that squad. Perhaps when all is said and done, baseball fans across the fruited plain will also be in on the secret of baseball in the dungeon.

22. Kevin said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:28 am

So Chuck your rotation is Tim, Jonathan, Matt, Bum. That may work. Sanchez doesn’t have to listen to the Texas fans that way

23. bigSarge said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

I have to agree with Jbat on believing. I’m not much for statistical analysis. But this team just has the feel of a team that won’t be denied. It an overall intangible, that I cant’t word any better than that. But I just feel that there is no way they don’t win the whole thing. As this season has proven, it won’t be easy nor pretty. But it will be 25 guys doing battle.

24. bigSarge said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

25. JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

That really puts it in perspective, Kat. 207 games in 236 days is the definition of a grind.

Go get ’em boys! 4 more wins for baseball immortality!

26. bigSarge said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

Sorry for the double post. I’m using my new phone, still getting used to it.

• Nipper said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:50 am

Never say you’re sorry. At least to this bunch.

• bigSarge said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:03 am

Well in that case, sue me!

27. snarkk said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:37 am

The fact that in Texas, the Giants get a DH, and here at ATT Texas loses a DH, I think can only be a positive checkmark for the Giants in this Series….

28. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:42 am

Regardless of what all the idiots in the national media say…Cain has to start Game 1!

29. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:47 am

He has only two post-season starts, both brilliant. He has the arm that can pitch three games if necessary.

If you are planning on 4 starters, then Lincecum pitching Game 3 in Texas and being ready for Game 7 at home is the way to go. I think after Sanchez’ two rough road starts, we would be better off having him go game 2 in SF unless we lose Game 1. We have to keep Sanchez’ mental outlook in tact because he will be a big part of our team next year and bumping him to the 4th starter behind Bumgarner will just mess him up. Who cares what Zito’s makeup will be for next year as he is the 5th starter.

If we are losing the series 1-2 going into Game 4, I think you have to go Cain in Game 4, Bum or Sanchez in Game 5 in Texas, Lincecum Game 6 in SF and Cain to close it out in Game 7.

30. snarkk said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:52 am

Bengie’s knowledge of the Giants hitters adds very little to the equation. After watching tape of the Giants and Phills series, plus all the scouts watching in the stands, Texas knows very well how to approach Giants hitters, whether Bengie were there with them or not. Same for his knowledge of the SF pitchers. Uh, let’s see. An entire season of video shows Pablo swinging at 59′ breaking shit, and eye-high fastballs away. Duh, Wash, why don’t we try that, too? Hell, WE know how to pitch to Bengielena. Breaking shit outside in the dirt, and sliders low and off the corner….

31. stixwiz said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:53 am

Four more Wins!
    Four more Wins!
    Four more Wins!
    Giants ’93 regular season record would equal 2010 World Champs.

32. Nipper said, on October 25, 2010 at 10:54 am

NL should adopt the DH.

• snarkk said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

Why?

• JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:12 am

Fuck that.

• Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm

What the Hell Nipper???? Sacrilege!

• blade3colorado said, on October 25, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Agree . . . Fuck that.

33. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:00 am

Clearly if Renteria is hurt, he can be replaced in the lineup…but as I said previously in September about shaking things up when Torres was hurt, we should go with Burriss because he can play short while Velez cannot and Burriss is as quick Velez.

But Renteria seems to have been ok at the plate though and with Cliff Lee and CJ Wilson likely pitching the first two games, I doubt Panda and Fontenot will play. Add in Holland as a potential #4 starter and another lefty, Panda may only get a start against Colby Lewis, but he may have some huge pinch-hit opportunities.

If Renteria cant play the field and has to be replaced and with the lefty-heavy Ranger starters, we may be forced to start Burriss as an injury replcement to Renteria or pull Fontenot from the roster.

I also see no reason to have Mota on the roster. I suggested we carry 10 pitchers in the shorter Braves series and they never used Mota in the longer Phillies series and were ready to go to Bum and Linceucm when needed before Mota.

But with the convuluted playoff roster rules, Mota would have to be shown to be hurt or Guillen would have to be brought in as an extra bat and I dont see that happening after his typical Jose Guiillen on a deserted island routine…

34. Nipper said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:07 am

Taking away Texas use of the DH is cruel and unusual punishment. It’s not fair. Their pitchers are not used to such treatment! Lets play fair. NL is wrong. Dead wrong.

• snarkk said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:29 am

Ok, Nippy. If you say so…

35. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:07 am

I think the whole Bengie has intimate knowledge of the PS is over rated. He’s not going to give them much they can’t see on film.

36. Nipper said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

I hope Bengie has a big series and the Giants still win big.

• delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I hope Nipper has a nice big plate of BBQ ribs and a never-ending supply of cheap cold ones for the WS.

Me? I’ll continue to eat what little fingernails I have left.

37. JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:13 am

To quote the indomitable Tug McGraw, “Ya gotta believe!”

38. Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:17 am

Flav, the thing is, the ‘HR or Bust’ mentality didn’t come to pass in all these playoff games. They (for the most part) scratched out runs and took advantage of what the other teams gave them.

As long as they keep that approach, and hit a shitload of ball to Vlad the flailer in RF, then the games here should work out well.

Cliff Lee? Shit, the Giants beat Halladay. He was ‘unhittable’ as well. The Reds were the hottest team coming into the playoffs and couldn’t do anything.

Again, these guys aren’t going to alter their SP lineup. Back in the old days when there was only 2 day break between playoff series, the order was subject to changes due to fluxuations. The time off guarantees they go with what got them through Philly.

Timmy, Drrrty, Matt, Bummie

• ewisco said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm

chuck, i’d much rather have cain at home (where he was masterful last start) and timmie on the road (where he’s proven to be successful) and I’d rather see bum get the two starts than sanchez.

39. Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:19 am

Yeah, I don’t know what Bengie can tell Texas that they don’t already know.

Bengie and Posey didn’t really spend too much time together, and it isn’t like Bengie mentored Buster and gave him any huge insight as to how to call our staff.

40. JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:26 am

I can dig the “We beat Halladay and Jimenez so why not Lee” mentality, but have you guys been watching him this post season? He’s never lost a playoff start, and he’s as pitching as well as any starter I’ve ever seen, at this point. What he did in August means nothing right now. His control is ungodly and he has plenty of stuff. He’s also a horse on the mound. He was at 119 pitches (I think) in game 4 of the ALCS and they were ready to send him out for the 9th, before Texas blew it open.

I think the G’s will likely need to beat him one time to have a shot at this series, and I think they can do that. He’s bound to lose sometime. But underestimating him is foolish. He’s just brilliant right now.

• TedSpe said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:37 am

Yeah, well Oswalt never lost at Citizens either so you never know

• JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

And he still hasn’t, but I see your point.

• delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Yeah, Madson was tagged with the L, not Oswalt. But I see your point as well, Ted.

In baseball, you don’t know nothing.
        ~Yogi Berra

• TedSpe said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Well, you’re right, of course but yeah, but, well, you know I meant

41. xootsuit said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:29 am

Hey, you know, Whitey could catch Sanchez in Tx. while Buster DHs. Maybe that would settle the head case down. More seriously, I am not real confident in Jonathan’s ability to handle adversity on the road in the playoffs. Hope the team shrinks (Will Clark and Shawon Dunston) are working on him.

• delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:01 pm

NO Whitey start a game in Texas? Counselor, surely you jest. Thanks for the chuckle.

42. zumarust said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:30 am

I agree that it CAN be done. The ’69 Mets and ’88 Dodgers showed what dominating pitching can do against a favored opponent. Heck, that Dodger team won in 5 games. It would be nice to see a return of the occasional 3-run HR from the Giants. Where have the HRs gone? Someone needs to go all Cody Ross on the Rangers.

43. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 11:53 am

Haven’t read the other posts: I like everyone on normal rest. Granted, our pen and Bochy’s use of it allows him more flexibility than most, he can go Tim for 5 or 6. But why? We have dual aces. Go with Matt..
    Other notes: Vlad in RF with Huff/Buster 3/4-love it…I can definitely see a defensive miscue swinging a game.
    More later-only 4 WS contestants, get it going. If a gamer is not your cup o’ tea, let me know. I’ll let you vote: the gamer or another HTPC.

44. Giant Head said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

DH…with two lefties likely pitching in Texas, Burrell is the more likely DH. Could Rowand then start in center?

If Sanchez does get a start in Texas, then Posey could start at first and Huff in right or left…and El Presidente behind the dish…

• delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Now you’re ushering out the play NO Whitey behind the dish? With Rowand in center, you’re replacing Ross or Torres’ bat with NO Whitey.

To quote Susan Powter, “Stop the Insanity!”

45. Kevin said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

My work has the vegas bookies blocked, what are the current Odds for the Giants winning the WS?

• delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Kev, Rangers -140 Giants +120. That’s up from -130/+110 from yesterday.

Still NO Rodney Dangerfield respect coming our way. And still NO Whitey.

46. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Vern and Vera’s boy will get a start int he World Series right after I do….

47. alex said, on October 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I don’t see this going more than 4-5 games. Giants in 5 is my bet and if anyone is looking for action, lemme know.

• JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Now that’s confidence.

48. wswinb4igo said, on October 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm

The Giants and Rangers have a limited, but historic history. The two teams met in the first interleague game ever, back in 1997, and Darren Oliver, now a left-handed bullpen specialist with Texas, threw the first interleague pitcher ever, starting that game for the Rangers in Arlington.

They have met only 22 times in regular-season play, the Giants winning 15 of those, including the past 11 games the two teams have played in San Francisco. The Giants swept a three-game series at AT&T Park from the Rangers in 2006 and 2009, the last two times the teams played during the regular season.

Giants and rangers both hit 162 HR during the season…so much for the rangers power dominance….

Current roster of Giants have hit .270 against cliff lee…

The next ranger to get a hit off B Wilson will be the 1st…they are 0/19 against him….

rangers pitching should be a welcome relief after the last 3 staffs the G’s have faced…

current odds at sbook…rangers -140 Giants +120…it opened at 130 and 110…

Hope Cain does start game 1, but won’t cry if he doesn’t….This should be the easiest of the 3 series to win….That’s what worries me…But if both teams play to form….You guys will be celebrating in San Francisco.

49. delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This from Baggs: To those wondering: There is a ZERO percent chance Jose Guillen returns to DH in the World Series. Sabean told me he’s out of their plans.

No shocker there. I gave Guillen returning to DH a less than zero chance. “Less Than Zero?” I think that’s been a book, film and song. I’m still lobbying for the Horse to start Game 1. Though the sportsbook has the line set (-125/+115) with Lee and Timmy going respectively. There’s been no official announcement. Workout scheduled for 5 PM later today at the yard. Maybe the skipper will tip his hand then.

50. JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Guillen not returning? Good.

• alex said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Do you know what actually happened to Guillen? Only thing I heard was how much he contributed, then he hurt his neck, then he was included with Zito on not making the roster and he “chose” not to make the trip? Never did see any more than that?

51. Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Hey, did anyone scalp tix at the NLDS?

I’m wondering what my chances would be to go down there w/my son and scalp Wednesday night.

I heard that game tix were going for barely over face value close to game time. . .

52. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm

The motherfucking pundits, oddsmakers, and experts combined know a little less than I do. And there is no way to handicap a WS. When guys like Boone win games, it’s a total crapshoot. Matt Treanor could win it for Texas or Nate Schierholtz for us. Timmy and Cliff Lee could get rocked, Dirty go no-no. That’s the joy and the torture.. with that said, Giants in 5. Return of the long ball…

• JBat said, on October 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I like the way you think, Mike. I can stand 5. If it goes 7, I may have a heart attack. Mind if I ask what you predicted in ’02?

53. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I don’t mind if you ask as long as you don’t mind a lie.. oh, hell, I don’t think I called anything. I just rooted. I still had season tix then… I had my personal parade route planned. Ended at Le Central for cassoulet and cider…

54. Flavor said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I just got out of the Giants dugout store at Stanford Shopping Center– it was a madhouse, I went in there to get me one of those snappy orange tees and I stood in line for 30 minutes……

55. bigSarge said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Ok , so I was listening to colin cow-turd in the car this morning (I hate that I can’t listen to knbr in the car here) and I’m really getting the sense that once again the national punditry gives us a snowball’s chance in hell to win this series. First off, Timmy, Cainer, MadBum, and Dirrty. Secondly, we have 25 guys that aren’t going to quit until out number 27. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the derangers pretty much cruised from September on. They haven’t really been tested yet. Third, we have big head and his wad of gum. The guy knows what the hell he’s doing.

• TedSpe said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

KNBR isn’t always much better. Most of the talk shows are hosted by and called into by complete tools. I realized something about myself this year. Out of habit, I rarely call the Giants “we”. I always call them the team or the Giants. One of the reason is all the yahoos who call these radio shows. “Bochy has to let us swing at the first pitches. We have to be more aggressive. Except for Sandoval. He’s kiling us. If we don’t start….”ad nauseum.

But somehow, it doesn’t bother me when someone on the Flap says “we” or “us”. And if I read the Splash, if zum says “we”, cool. If Soph says “we”, vomit.

• Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm

a) Who is Colin Cowturd
      b) Where is here?

Shit, I haven’t really paid much attention to the butt-rangers, but for a little in the playoffs, and the Bengie factor. Hamilton and Lee are the only guys I really know not named ‘big titty.’

Keep their speed off the bases. Pitch around Hamilton. Stay tight on defense.

Giants in 6!!!

What was that Philly blog?

Oh yeah, http://www.thefightins.com
      ———————————————–

Another Let Down Philadelphia says:
      October 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm
      Every single fan should boo on opening day. This team was the most disappointing team in Philadelphia and do not deserve our support until they win it back. We have given them too many free pases since 2008 and it needs to stop. Please everyone boo everyone from Rollins to Victorino to Howard to Utley to Ibanez to Polanco (all the bums who cannot hit or baserum). Boo Werth when he first comes back. Thanks 2010 Phillies for the worst, most disappoint season in Philadelphia history.

Or this one:

Heathcliff Slocumb says:
      October 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm
      Quit whining and making excuses. This team was lucky to even make it to the NLCS. The bats went cold – all of them. Meanwhile, San Fran’s did not. It’s not surprising, given the huge layover between clinching and the start of the playoffs, but that’s the way it went down. For this week in October, the Giants were definitely the better team.

That being said, go Rangers. And just for fun, Fuck the Yankees.

• TedSpe said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm

The worst most disappointing season in Philadelphia history? Geez. That’s pushing it. I mean what the fuck, someone had to lose. I’m just glad it was them

• bigSarge said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Colin cowherd he’s a radio/tv talking head from espn…..here is Honolulu

56. Unca Chuck said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for pointing out the calls from the keys points in game 6 on the Giants website, whoever that was.

I was too busy pushing the ball over the fence with my mind to notice the disappointment in McFuckwad’s voice as Uribe’s ball cleared the fence. HA ha.

What a treat that was. Just a few more vids to check out (along with Ashkon) to gear up for the WORLD FUCKING SERIES!!!!!

Yeah, baby!!!

• xootsuit said, on October 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Hey, I think that may have been me, Chuck. I really enjoyed the difference between the Fox call and the Jon Miller call on that HR. Miller (and Morgan) will be on the radio for the WS. I think I may have to just put up with the time delay between them and the video.

57. max808 said, on October 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Not everyone is going with Tex. Dan Plesac, a former player and very astute MLB Network analyst is going Giants in 7. He likes Texas on paper, but feels the G’s will just find a way to get it done. I’m with him.

58. delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Bochy: “Timmy, Matt, Sanchez, Bum.”

I don’t like it. Of course I don’t like it. And of course I’m going to bitch and moan about it.
    I wouldn’t be true to myself and to you guys if I didn’t.

59. delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

And for those who would like to start booing and possibly start blaming early:

Series umps according to AP: Sam Holbrook, Bill Miller, John Hirschbeck, Gary Darling, Mike Winters and Jeff Kellogg.

60. alleykat said, on October 25, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Here’s a humorous twist on the playoffs:

From a blog called the Big Lead:(the big lead.com)

Philadelphia fans were great as usual.”A table of women at DelFrisco’s asked a server to put ExLax in the food of Giants Pat Burrell, Brian Wilson and several of their teammates who sat in the main dining room Friday night.”Classy Ladies.Atleast their plan worked–the Giants SHIT all over the Phillies on Saturday.”

61. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 25, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I think we need Bozo to break down the math for the WS.

• Bozo said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:36 pm

reno, one might think this is an easy one, but it has a few twist. Make sure the clown wannabe plays every game (and is pitched low and inside). Bad Vlad in right, now that could just be a clown in the making, but in a good way for us. Skip Font for Burris, don’t need any Cubs on the roster. When Dirty pitches, ROY has to tell the batter to go ahead and dig in. NO Whitey and just win four from these guys.
      I think that’ll do it.
      All they have to do reno, is win the first one and every other one after that.
      This is the year my Flap brothers and sister (and the not sures), YEEE HAW

62. DJLoo said, on October 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Hope were on the right side of the inevitable umpire screw-up.

63. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 6:12 pm

The shuffling for Bochy will be Panda, Uribe, Fontenot,Renteria… he has to get lucky. Uribe is in-the other three pose huge issues of different kinds. But again, game 6 vaulted Bochy into the elite of big game managers- 3 starting pitchers,3 relievers, chaos, and he was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

• delmardennis said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Fontenot? I don’t think he factors into the equation at all—at least I hope not. Knowing “Bonehead” like I think I know “Bonehead” he’ll start Rent vs the lefties Lee and Wilson, and Taco Boy will get the nod vs the right-handers Lewis and Hunters. And although I’d prefer to see “El Gordo” receive the combo plate and start the full complement of games, he’ll have to settle for a single item of the menu with a small side of rice and beans.

64. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Fellas, I need picks- just 5 so far.
    twinfan1@hotmail.com
    I’m not doing this for 8 or 9 entries.This isn’t shit you’re getting, ask some winners.

65. DJLoo said, on October 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Just for the hell of it I checked how Brenly deployed his 2 ace rotation in 2001. I don’t remember if this was improvised as he went along. AZ had home field, same spacing of days off as this year’s WS. The home team won every game.

1) Schilling
    2) RJ
    3) Anderson
    4) Schilling
    5) Batista
    6) RJ
    7) Schilling

66. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 25, 2010 at 6:32 pm

The Giants’ Series rotation will be Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez and Madison Bumgarner, in that order.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=75443#ixzz13QMzWUKv

67. Flavor said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm

twin can you give me the specs again on the contest? I’ll it on the main page. I must’ve missed when you did that and I don’t have time to go back and scroll through all the comments

68. Flavor said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:11 pm

nevermind, i found it

69. twinfan said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm

OK, I’m upgrading a bit:
    This will be a fine gamer.

Thermaltake V3 Black Midtower, 500W PSU
    2.6 GHZ AMD Quad Core Processor (that’s 4 cores at 2.6 per core)
    Asus AM3 DDR3 Motherboarsd
    4 GB DDR3 Memory
    I TB SATA II Hard Drive
    (2) 22X DVD-RW ( burns and reads DVDs and CDs)- with two you can burn disk to disk
    All-in-One Card Reader
    Sapphire Radeon HD5670 Ultimate 1GB DDR5 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
    Logitech Speakers and USB Keyboard/Mouse
    USB Wireless Adapter
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    twinfan1@hotmail.com

Runs, HRs, Buster hits

70. DJLoo said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:40 pm

So Bochy’s thinking outside the bun, Dennis?

71. Bozo said, on October 25, 2010 at 7:43 pm

“In Arlington, the Let’s Move With the Mayor Program was indeed a success for the city, involving more than 4,500 student participants, their friends and family.

On September 3, I had the privilege of going into schools and surprising the top movers in their classrooms.”
    Well I’m thankful Mayor Cluck didn’t visit me and my movements, but I gotta give the guy credit. Watching the movements of not only 4,500 students but also their friends and families. That is one mayor interested in shit.

72. eddacker415 said, on October 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm

ok I am late to the party, but after pissing off my wife, my boss and most of my neighbors who heard me yelling ‘YES!’, ‘SHIT!’ and more at 3am I must say:

goddamn right fucking Giants!
    emphasis on the ‘right’ my friends.

The: freak, horse, dirrrrrrty, rook, roy, thong, bearded B-willie, bat, torres, franchez, code D, U ribb eh?, rent man and panda, blockhead, romo and loogy and friends; not to mention NO (fill in the blanks) and the others: Row, Ishi, Schierholtz, and the unicorn cheerleader. Fuck me; wadda team.

just my opinion – pre WS win goddamnit

73. Sichere Geldanlage in Deutschland said, on October 26, 2010 at 1:57 am

Every time I see blogs as good as this because I should stop bludging and start working on mine.Thanks

74. JBat said, on October 26, 2010 at 8:42 am