A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Houston, we do NOT have a problem…

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 31, 2010

I thought we played a pretty good game last night. After the 2nd inning they got ONE run off us. Our bullpen was amazing. We hit the same number of bombs that they did, the difference in the game is that they had 2 guys on for one of them. We kept coming at them all night, with a run in the 7th and the 8th. It just wasn’t quite enough. Big deal.

Pat Burrell has 8 strikeouts in 9 World Series at bats. That has to be a record, right? He’s fairly balanced in most of those swing throughs so it’s not like he’s being fooled. He’s re-incarnated the ghost of Rajai Davis sans the speed. But the fact is, and we know this, Burrell is going to keep playing because that’s what Bochy does and it’s not like he has a sure-fire alternative to replace him. Hopefully though, we’ve seen the last of Panda. I think we might see Ishikawa at first with Huff DH’ing (although even that seems like a stretch since Bochy sees Ishi as invaluable as our most important PH).  So I don’t know what today looks like, maybe the same LU……..

Texas CANNOT win 2 straight in our park. Win one of the next two, we are all good………

1. xootsuit said, on October 31, 2010 at 8:43 am

Bochy being interviewed last night touched on this: Sanchez had to deal with American League baseball last night and didn’t. With two outs, he walked Benji. In the NL, he would’ve faced the pitcher next, and, usually, that break in the offense would’ve given him the chance to get out of the jam. In fact, in the NL, he might’ve walked Benji intentionally. In the AL park, after the walk he faced a decent hitting rookie firstbaseman, who took pitches and fouled many good pitches off until Jonathan made a mistake.

In the late innnings, things change in the NL as PHs and double switches come into play. But for the first three innings of close games, the NL and AL styles of baseball are very different. In the AL you just don’t get that pitcher’s spot break in the batting order cycle you’re used to exploiting. It’s a challenge. Lincecum, when he’s on, certainly has the focus and tenacity to meet that challenge, to pitch right through the AL lineup without a break. In my gut, I believe Bumgarner does too.

2. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:20 am

Alright, pay fucking attention:
    It doesn’t matter if Pat Fucking Burrell is 0 for 30 with 30 Ks…Got it? He should play against a kid who gives up a HR every 6 innings. Pat Burrell has 290 home runs, Nate Cocksucker Shitholtz has 9…. IF there were to be a change, it certainly MUST be either Rowand or Huff with Torres and Ross in the other OF spots( Huff in left if Panda DHs, Torres in left if it’s Huff to DH). Nate is a defensive replacement. PERIOD. End of story, don’t bring it up again.
    So of course Bonehead will fuck this up, Nate will start, he’ll hit a slam, save the motherfucker with a catch over the RF wall, and slip a cancer stricken kid a fucking Mars bar in the process….
    but if you’re a betting man, you may not wanna go that way…

3. willied said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:29 am

Agreed. Pat starts, calms down, gets either the big hit or imp BB in a rally/big inning. Rent was 1-16 vs. Philly, but gets the big hits still. Rowand can take one out of this yard, and might get a look in CF or even to DH. The LU is whatever it is, as we’ve argued ad infinitum…..guys in there make plays, or they don’t. But Nate’s not one of them, until maybe ST.

I think bum dominates. Tex has not seen him, and he shuts them down for a good 5, pen takes over and guides them home after we shell Hunter. It’s still all about pitching, and ours is better, top to bottom.

4. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:40 am

I’m only trying to help the poor souls on this deadly day, I hope you all understand that. Thing is, Wash is a goddamn idiot. Did you see what they’re throwing Burrell, ferchrissakes? They are begging him to hit it out. No, they’re pleading on hands and knees. Hunter will be no different. As I said last night: Pat could take another sombrero AND win the motherfucker with a HR…

5. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:40 am

Happy Halloween. I’m handing out lineup cards with Rowand leading off, Shitholtz in RF, NO Whitey behind the dish and Shinjo back at DH. That should scare the shit outta those little fuckers.

6. Flavor said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:40 am

texas got lucky last night. We couldn’t chase Lewis till 2 gone in the 8th. Hunter sucks, he’s a big, fat guy who we should have no problem getting to now that we’ve got a game under our belt in that park. Again, it was US who finished last night strong not them……..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:42 am

true…and one pitch in that game was the whole difference

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:41 am

I want Rowand in the OF, Huff as DH, and Ishi at first. (Been sick; just opening laptop first time in days.) Miller / Morgan were noting in Game 2 on radio that at that point Pat had not even put the ball in play. (Well, um, keeps us out of the DP.)

8. Nipper said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:43 am

In a short series, anything can happen. We all know this. Throw out the conventional.

9. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:47 am

I would have been more surprised if Texas didn’t win last night. 1st game in AL setting for SF in a while, the home crowd, shrub in attendance. All that shit. Get one of the next two and it’s all good.

10. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:51 am

Chuckles: send me your address, I’m going to drop a couple things to you. Don’t worry, you’ll be happy. Some fun shit for your PC..

11. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 9:56 am

Dirty just wasn’t the disaster some are making it out to be. Damn, you HAVE to give Moreland some fucking credit. Dirty threw him good pitch after good pitch.. the dude just had a great AB… otherwise, we might stlil be watching… and it was hardly just the Bat: Buster, Panda, Rent, Uribe, several players had very poor at bats, none worse than two of Posey’s… I’ll add however: he missed giving them a 2 zip lead in the first by about three feet… Yungo is ready to break out…

12. Macdog said, on October 31, 2010 at 10:06 am

The pressure is still on Texas. If the Bat is gonna stay in, then he has to move behind Ross in the order as Twin suggested yesterday. Giants won the toss-up Game 4 with Phils, and since this will probably come down to the ‘pens there’s no reason why they take this one.

I’m very stok . . . er, psyched for tonight ’cause it’s the first one I’ll actually get to watch at home, normal broadcast, start to finish. Between daughter’s soccer game, NFL later and Halloween, it’ll be no trouble killing the hours ’til game time. Go get ’em Giants!

• Macdog said, on October 31, 2010 at 10:08 am

. . . there’s no reason why they can’t take this one. I need a copy editor. Calling Pawlie?

13. stixwiz said, on October 31, 2010 at 10:20 am

HAPPY HALLOWEEN. Time to rev up the machine. True enough, the Giants were a bit like a fish out of water last night. Not horrid. Not even bad. Just not quite good enough to get the job done. Sanchez walks Bengie and then throws pitch after pitch to Moreland who takes him out on one of the few bad calls Buster has made in the Post Season. And yes, it was the DeRangers night to howl.

In some ways that kid from North Carolina looks to be cast in the mold of the Horse from Alabama. Big ol’ countryboy who gave his bride a bullcalf for a wedding present and at all of 21 seems about as excitable as one of those faces on Mount Rushmore. “Imperturbable” was the adjective used to describe Cainer after his gem the other evening. Take a look at the stats for Bumgarner when he has runners on base, even in scoring position. For a kid that young to consistently keep from losing his cool in high-pressure situations ~ amazing.

Don’t know much about this Hunter feller that the DeRangers are running out there tonight, except that he had an excellent W-L record for a hard-hitting team and a better than fair ERA ~ all in the regular season. So far in the P.S. he’s been lit up like a Chinese New Year’s celebration. Giants bats should warm up nicely. He does throw strikes, so even the hackers should find something to like.

Burrell is notoriously streaky. And, guess what, he picked a damned poor time to go into one of his funks. No telling when that will change. Pablo may have been eating hearty lately, but not getting those magical bamboo shoots which transform into the Panda. IMHO, he sits tonight, even if this Hunter is around the plate most of the time.

Working the count does not necessarily mean looking at something fat and juicy on the first pitch ~ maybe unless the hurler has something nasty that just LOOKS edible. But guys like Franchez, Posey and Huff need to foul off pitch after pitch like that Texas first baseman did last night. Build up that pitch count. Plate some runs early and then devour that bullpen.

Its Halloween, gang. Time for the Giants to make it happen.

14. willied said, on October 31, 2010 at 10:35 am

Sing still stuck in woody hayes mode. Nice to see westbrook get on the field–this guy can play, make more use of him, as rec if nothing else. Good to have walker back too, he can get open.

15. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 10:53 am

Sing wil figger out a way to make sure Denver has a chance.

16. TedSpe said, on October 31, 2010 at 10:53 am

TALES OF TERROR
    Happy Halloween

17. Kevin said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:00 pm

TF, yes and Sing just did it!!
    Reading Twin’s earlier posts, your 9:20 Am, post, I don’t know if you were blunt enough with why you play Burrell and not Nate!

18. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Well, I woke up with Zeke in my fucking face… I love the drooler but he needs to give me a minute.. the thing about benching the Bat: they would never know- and I simply propose that Pat at 0 for 30 is more apt to go deep than Nate… and I want the power bats in tonight…

19. willied said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Really, tho, think about it. Nate’s had two years here, and what has he done? He’s a spray hitter, no power, and not very patient, low OB hacker. He runs well, but that does not translate into steals either. He has great D range and a good arm, but does not always use it wisely either.

Just like Rowand, he’ll be lucky to be here next year. He’s fine right where he is…on the bench for 6 plus.

Story is going to be bum, who will bum out tex and their fans.

20. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Hey. Nice zip by Smith there,…..

21. Kevin said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Well, the way I look at it is that the Giants pitching staff shut down Atlanta supposed power bat and they shut down Philiadelpia’s power bat. I am not saying Pat is the Giants power bat but he will be fine

22. bigSarge said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Missed most of the game, got strong armed by the misses into taking the kids to the mall. The energy even reaches out here to the isles of aloha. I was at dinner Friday night wearing my hat and golf shirt and a got a fist bump from a random stranger wearing a t shirt. Great stuff. As for the game, I’m not sharp enough to figure out who does what against who. I know the Bat is not doing anything right now but has a lot of potential to be dangerous. Panda looks clueless from the at bat that I saw. But it sounds like they played pretty well yesterday. I think Bum is going to give them grief today.

23. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I’ve told you guys over and over that Smith was the man.

• snarkk said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Today, I saw more athleticism and football instinct to make a play in a coupla series from the new Smith than 5 years of the old Smith. Old Smith is now in charge of the clipboard supply locker the remainder of his tenure with the Niners…

24. max808 said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Reasonably sure the 49er’s won’t blow this one.

• JBat said, on October 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Lol. Still sure?

• bigSarge said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:09 pm

They are trying their damndest to give the game back

25. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:09 pm

They’re workin’ on it.

26. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm

So what’s the guess on tonight’s lineup? I say ya just Xerox the card from last night’s shitty group and send ’em out again. I’d even have NO Whitey trot it out to the home plate ump for good measure.

27. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Trick or treat.

Torres cf, F Sanchez 2b, Huff DH, Posey c, Ross lf, Uribe 3b, Ishikawa 1b, Renteria ss, Schierholtz rf, Bumgarner

28. snarkk said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Time for Ishi to step up. The way this season has gone, I’m not doubting that possibility. This lineup is so wacky, it might work…

29. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:31 pm

This is a BIG gamble by Bochy. Ishi hasn’t started a game since 8/14, and Shitholtz is, well, he’s Shitholtz.
    Suffice to say, this lineup sucks.

30. Sportdude said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Burrel needs a day off. Shitz is bad, but this isn’t the 1st time Burrel has done nothing in a WS. 8/9 k’s is enough.

PS I was at game 2. Flew up with my 75 yo parkinson’s / walker using dad, and my brother. What a trooper he is. less than 24 hour turnaround. Walking in airport, to park (taxi wouldn’t gt closer than a block away). Stadium steps, to hotel, wake up at 4:45 for 6 am flight. Memories to cherish for ever!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

saw lots of that sort of bonding at Gm 1; good for you all

31. sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Ishi & Shier sure is a gamble but I’ve learned to believe in Boch – he’s been gold this PS. I would have liked to see Pat still in there because I think he is good for at least one HR in the WS, but maybe a day off will help him regroup. Hunter is toast today & if Bum gives us a quality 5 we take this game. Just don’t let these TX fucks think they can win this … this is the most important game of the series. With Lee going tomorrow I don’t expect another G1 performance from him.

32. Flavor said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Bochy just went all-in with defense. I kinda like it.. That alone could win this game for us…..

33. Flavor said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm

having said that, I think this is going to be a high scoring game. 7-6, 9-7 something like that….

34. Sportdude said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm

He was forced to because Burrel and Panda has been so bad. A bummer to be sure. Boch has been living large so far.

I believe we MUST win today. Beat Lee back to back? Depend on Dirty in a game 7? Win tonight, and win in game 6 with big game Cain. That is our recipe for a WS win. Of course I hope I am wrong if they don’t win today, but sure will make it an up hill battle.

35. Flavor said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm

o/u is 9……. 🙂

36. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm

My goodness, Nate and Ishikawa both. I told ya.

37. sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Yeah Flavor – I love the D too. Right now I think either Ishi or S-Holtz can go yard to make a huge impact too. Different hero every game. No one said this would B – ezzzzzy …

38. Bozo said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Giving Pat a night off probably isn’t that bad (although, I keep thinking he is gonna break out, in a big way). Though I think using the Gamer (as Twin and others have said) instead of Nate makes more sense. Anyway, it’s time for the Giants to kick a little tail (up your ass).
    Sorry, yesterday the wife (we’re both over 50 so I hate to use the term girlfriend) and I decided to end every sentence with – up your ass. So excuse me if I’m still sorta still in that mode. It was a what would you dooo, with a Klondike bar (up your ass), kinda day. We live in a small town.

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I know I’m new but “Up your ass” Bozo. No offense intended. Maybe it’s good luck.

• Bozo said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Since – It’s all good. Why most of the regs used to just end their rants with Fuck, Bozo (is that right Dennis?).

• delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:24 pm

You couldn’t be 100% more correct, my friend. That said, fuck our lineup, fuck NO Whitey and fuck you, Bozo!

39. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Wow, that is one horseshit lineup! In my mind tonight is a borderline must game.

40. snarkk said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Ishi started the year with a dinger in Houston. Could he help end it with another dinger in Texas to that short porch?….

41. TedSpe said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:24 pm

He’s not in the starting lineup but..
    Pat will Bat
    Oh yes
    Pat will Bat

42. ferrethead said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:28 pm

It’s not just about the D – we got some extra lefties in the lineup. Apparently, lefties hit Hunter really well – Ishi & Nate get a couple in that jetstream out to right, and it’s all good…

43. ferrethead said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I may be taking this superstition stuff a little far:

My aunt invited me to go with them to their friend’s house to watch the game tonight. I have actually sat down to watch three games this year, and the guys lost all three! Now, obviously, they have lost a lot more than three with me listening on the radio, but KNBR has not let me down so far this PS, and I’m not messing with the magic for game 4!!!

Being a good fan or mentally ill – such a fine line. 😀

44. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Sheirholtz AND Ishi?

Wow. I figured Burrell was out, but didn’t think Schitholz would replace him.

Guess they want the lefties in there . . . .

They need just ONE of 3 here in Tejas . . .

45. alleykat said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I like the LU.Burrell is out of whack,lunging at pitches,totally out of sync.Could use the mental blow.He’ll be back in to face Lee in game 5.Adding extra defense in the OF and 1st base is a plus,along with stacking more lefties,and adding speed is a bonus.Have a feeling Nate comes up big tonight.

46. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:51 pm

So, this isnl;t a must win.

47. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Again, though, the G’s need to get on top of the strangers early.

Make THEM sweat. WE are in the driver’s seat.

48. stixwiz said, on October 31, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Gonna actually WATCH the game tonight at a friend’s place. He was stationed in the Bay area during his Navy stint. They did lose to Philly when i viewed portions of the game at the local pub. But the place was mostly twenty and thirty something badly raised football fanciers who never got educated to the National Pastime. Too many parents employ the boobtoob as their first and primary babysitter, and as we all know, with all the smash-grab action football is very well suited for folks with short attention spans and miniscule appreciation for nuance.

Will be wearing a Giants Tee picked up at a sale somewhere back in time and a cap purchased in The City back in ’89. Not expecting any earthquakes in Texas and hoping that Bochy’s selection of Ishi and Nate works the same magic he has crafted so far this Post Season.

Imagine being front and center on the national stage in the middle game of the W.S. at the ripe old age of just barely 21. Believing that Bumgarner can handle the assignment and that the Giants hit Hunter.

• zumarust said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:02 pm

“Gonna actually WATCH the game tonight at a friend’s place.”

Now, we’re talking, Stix! No more of this “I climbed a tree, and hung up a short-wave radio antenna made out of recycled bees hives, and used an ax to fight off an angry grizzly bear in the process” stuff. (grin)

• DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Great, Zumie…

• Bozo said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Wow Zum – “I climbed a tree, and hung up a short-wave radio antenna made out of recycled bees hives, and used an ax to fight off an angry grizzly bear in the process”. Wow, is all I have for that.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:31 pm

yeah

49. sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:02 pm

We need to chase Hunter & get to the TX bullpen – Holland, O’Day, Lowe .. whoever … they all suck. Just don’t let Feliz make a Halloween appearance.

50. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I am completely amenable to being dead wrong and ridden mercilessly about it…
    and I know you won’t let me down. I love the Ishikawa part which means he’ll take the sombrero and Nate wins the game for them…
    Kevin, Macdog, Stix: PC updates please…

51. zumarust said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Hey, I love Stix’s descriptions of the woodsy life.
    Although, I disagree with him about football. I really like the seasonal aspect of sports. When one sport is over, shifting gears to another sport. Heck, the Niners have won two in a row. No way!

• delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm

No way is right, they lost last week to the previously winless Panthers.
      Singletary calls a worse game than NO Whitey.

52. sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 3:59 pm

In the Halloween spirit … “Ah! The doctor is in! Don’t scream, don’t move. Stay tuned for channel 68’s Halloween Eve movie marathon! I’m your host, your ghost ghost, with the most, Dr. Wolfenstein! I will be with you until the end!”

Go Giants! Go Bum!

53. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Broccoli? Check…
    Coin? Check! Caramel Apples? Check!
    Myers dead, uh… maybe not…

54. Craig said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:15 pm

This has to be a good omen: I was just at a friends house and her dad came over. She was telling him about the blog, big giants fan etc (she was dying me beard and my hair black again). Anyway, he tells me a great story about when he was 17—his neighbor called and and was too sick to use his ticket to the world series game. His mom packed him a sack lunch and he went by himself. Sat lower reserve but back far, along the left field line. He told me that he absolutely knew he was witnessing a historic catch when he saw mays catch that ball. But what stuck in his memory wasn’t so much the catch but the fact that he threw the ball on one hop to second and that his hat fell off during the throw. Great story, I couldn’t stop asking the guy questions….

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Awesome how history travels across the country with Giants fans – my Dad was at that game @ the Polo Grounds in ’54. But as Willie would say, he made a lot of better catches than that .. maybe not in bigger situations though.

• ferrethead said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I heard Willie say once that his throw in was WAY better than the catch. Your friend’s dad was a very astute observer of the game!

• Bozo said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Yup Flav, Your pal and FH are right. Willie always said he knew he had it but the throw, the throw was what he was proudest of (they never show the throw on the replays. Don’t know why).

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:21 pm

He was there? Wow. Great stuff. Remember: everyone favored Cleveland to win after they had won 111 games. I think it’s fair to say we rather relish underdog status. But I confess to having some jangled nerves today. Maybe because I’ve been in bed two days. Up and at ’em!

56. Craig said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Great to see u up and about, PK. I’m not worried one fuck about tonight’s gm. I have complete faith that we win one of the next two and cainer ends this in game 6. I’m more worried about the bet I made on the ‘over’ than what’s going to happen in this series. We are winning this series, my random encounter an hour ago with one of the 55000 people or so who attended the Mays catch gm has confirmed it for me..

57. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:33 pm

People are always lying about being at major sporting events. Did the guy tell you anything that we haven’t seen on the replay 10,000 times? Why wasn’t he in school like every other 17 year old? And why can’t a 17 year old make his own sandwich?

58. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I was in Dealey Plaza on 11/22/63. I absolutely knew I was witnessing history when somebody blew the president’s head off.

59. Craig said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I’m disappointed in you loo. I would hope you’d have more faith in me. I’m sitting there looking this guy square in the eye, he’s 70 something— most honest looking guy I’ve ever seen in my life, he’s giving me details about that day like it was yesterday. But feel free to be bitter about it, I’d expect nothing less from you.

• DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:41 pm

What else did Mr. Madoff have to say?

60. max808 said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Don”t fuck with a good omen, Loo.

61. max808 said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:42 pm

It is true though, ‘everyone’ cut school and was at the Polo Grounds in 1951.

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Some actually were … the stadium wasn’t empty.

62. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I’ll confess that with all I’ve had going on outside of baseball and sports in general, it will be a mellow end for the season regardless of the outcome. Funny maybe, I was at my most foolishly optimistic when they were worst: 2007…of course I didn’t think I’d see 2008… now? whether it’s the torture of another lost chance or the joy of the long awaited championship, I’ll savor either and remember how fragile our hold is… one thing must happen, though: NO Whitey must play an inning before this ends or Vera will never give up the 4-Campbell Soup Chicken Divan Recipe…

• delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I’m hoping NO Whitey gets an inning so Vera will finally divulge her secret recipe for her Apple Betty.
      I hear they’re to do die for. Unlike like that Myers kid, he never dies.

63. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Well my dad, who made me a Giant fan, wasn’t cutting school to go to the game in 1951. He was busy with a little thing we had called the Korean conflict. Do you remember how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn’t cross the 38th parallel and push those rice-eaters back to the Great Wall of China?

• delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:59 pm

“All right. I’ll say it. ‘Cause Truman was too much of a *pussy wimp* to let MacArthur go in there and blow out those Commie bastards! “

• DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Good answer. Good answer. I like the way you think. I’m gonna be watching you, Denny.

• sinceseventy8 said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:05 pm

DJLoo – I respect your Dad’s service with ignorance of what side he was on. My Dad fought in WWII – he is 87 & he tells me a lot stories … a lot of bad memories & a lot of great friendships forged. I can still sense his pain though. Being 40 with a huge generational gap, sometimes it’s hard to understand everything. Nothing to do with baseball or tonight .. just thought I’d share something based on your post. Take it for what it’s worth … I don’t mean to intrude on your personal experience, everyone has their own cross to bear. Go Giants! – I think we can all agree on that.

• Bozo said, on October 31, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Geeze Loo, I thought it was because the catch/throw Mays made was in 1954

64. Sportdude said, on October 31, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Who will be the hero today? Huff and Posey.

No homers between them in the entire playoffs. Since Posey came up did they have a stretch of 15 games with zero homers and just a handful of RBI’s? We are talking maybe 3 extra base hits all post season?

Did we win 9/13 when our 2 best hitters failing against such great quality pitching? I think not!

Posey AND Huff go yard today…

65. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Way to hold a grudge, Loo . . .

66. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Karros is an idiot.

He sez whoever wins tonight wins the world series. Lose tonight and win tomorrow, and its in the bag.

67. twinfan said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I recall when the Twins came home down 3-2 in 1991. McCarver ceded the series to the Braves.. If it does get back to SF, the Giants will not lose. I still expect it to end tomorrow evening,however…

68. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Where’s NO Whitey to complete this shitty lineup?

Hit some goddamn HRs and go up 3-1 and WIN goddammit!

69. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Bunt on this fat fuck.

70. xootsuit said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:24 pm

One fan’s shaky 16mm film of The Catch clearly shows Mays’ throw bouncing twice before it reached the second baseman.

71. Macdog said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Sorry kiddies, but trick or treat just ended in this house. Or someone else get the damn door. And dog, will ya quit your barking!

72. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Hunter looks like Sidney Ponson. WTF is the little runt bunting? Do we really think it’s gonna be a 2-1 game?

73. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:31 pm

If Fruckie does his job, that’s a run. C’mon, Buster. We need this one.

74. alleykat said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Wtf, you get the steal.And Fruckie can’t move him to 3rd.Inexcusable

75. delmardennis said, on October 31, 2010 at 5:38 pm

If that’s gonna be Mike Winters strike zone all night, we might has well call it a night.