A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

SF Giants: 2010 World Series Champions

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 2, 2010

We did it. It’s been done. The magnitude of this accomplishment can’t be understated. And I’m not talking about the team winning the World Series, I’m talking about the perseverance of SF Giants fans. This is a group that has supported utter failure for 56 freaking years with unwavering support. That kind of commitment is hard to find….

I stopped being a Giants fan, simply because of the sport, a long time ago. Maybe it started out that way. But it evolved into something that became a part of me, something that wasn’t an option or a job, it was just……my consciousness. I suspect it is that way for all of you. Did we NEED this World Series win? Of course not, we would never demand anything in return for our commitment as fans to this team. But now that we have been given this gift by this unreal collection of men, it felt right for me to appreciate all of us who have  supported the team for all this time. This is something that we EARNED—try to count up all the hours that you’ve devoted to this team. Who works for free for THAT many hours???? And yet this morning, for the first time ever, you get to wake up a champion. So today, take a moment to salute yourselves. I have complete confidence that our love for this team, our utter devotion to the history and future of the Giants, played a role in this magical year and how it ultimately unfolded…..

“I am a San Francisco Giants fan”…….you have no idea how much pride I exude when I say those 7 words……….

1. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm

et tu, Obama?
    Apparently the President of the United States skipped the tradition of a call of congrats to the World Series winning Giants last night. It would be fairly obvious why W would boycott. But Obama?
    My guess? He was upset about one of Bochy’s managerial decisions.
    NO Whitey

• snarkk said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Politics the night before the election. Can’t be seen speakin’ to anything San Francisco…

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm

You’re probably right. He can call Bochy on his cell phone during the Keys to the City ceremony tomorrow

2. Craig said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Just had a wonderful conversation with Michael. This has been such a great day to be a giants fan. I feel like giants nation, something that always felt so sprawled out to me, has turned into me and a few buddies sitting on the porch talking baseball.

3. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm

we weren’t alone before; we are bonded now

4. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’ll be home in a little more than a week . . . Betting dollar to donuts that my Mom will have some Giants “swag” such as a t-shirt, sweat shirt, etc., waiting for me with the obligatory San Francisco Giants, along with “2010 World Series Champion” stenciled on same.

I will have a lot of fun next year at Coors Field wearing my new gear . . . grin.

HAHAHAHAHA . . . OH, I AM LOVING THIS 🙂

5. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Forget the PC auction, Craig is geting that computer, Blade gets the WS prize, Chuckles gets a time release virus, and SanDog gets a gift certificate… however, I am working on a monster gamer, might still do an auction if you folks are up for it… 6-core CPU, 4 GIGS RAM, 2 terabyte hard drives, Blu-Ray, dual graphics cards.. killer…all in a kick ass gaming tower

6. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Idiot witch, Christine O’Donnell gets her ass kicked all over Delaware by the Democrat Coons and makes a “concession” speech that sounds like she won. Go figure.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled Giants celebration.

7. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm

twin, I’ll contact you later about the gaming center. I’m not a gamer but I consult with a special ed school of AWESOME kids who would love it, I’ll buy it for them….
    I just watched all the interviews after the last pitch—bummed I didn’t get to see the Will Clark interview. Anyway, it was just such a joy to watch The City celebrate this victory. I have so much love for this team right now……

8. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I do try to kep my politics out but my God, this O’Donnell is a piece of work. The gift that is Sarah Palin just never stops giving.

9. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Gonna be a fast winter: in just a few days, free agents can negotiate with anybody..

10. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Not World Series related. But baseball/Giants related. From the 10/11/2010 New Yorker. Interesting (and somewhat edited to avoid ennui and obviousness to Giants fans):
    ——————————————————————————————-
    When Marvin Miller took over as the head of the Major League Baseball’s Player’s Association, in 1966, he quickly realized that his members did not know what being in a union meant…One season, when Miller was making his annual rounds of the spring-training sites, he decided to put his arguement to the players as plainly as he could. He was visiting the San Francisco Giants, in Phoenix, Arizona. “The right fielder for the Giants was Bobby Bonds, a nice man,” Miller says. “I knew what Bonds’ salary was. And considering that he was a really prime ballplayer-that he had hit more home-runs as a lead-off man than anyone had ever hit in the major leagues, that he was a speedy base runner- the number shocked me. I was always shocked when I looked at salaries in those days. So I said ‘I want to tell you something. Take any of you-take Bobby Bonds. I’m going to make a prediction'”. The prediction was about Bobby Bonds’s son. The Giants owner encouraged his players to bring their families to spring training, so Miller knew Bonds’s son well. He was just a little kid but already it was clear that he was something special. “I said, ‘If we can get rid of the system as we know it, the Bobby Bonds’s son, if he makes it to the majors, will make more in one year than Bobby will in his whole career.’ And eyebrows went up”…And Miller was absolutely right: he ended up making in one year then all the members of his father’s San Francisco Ginats team made in their entire careers, combined. That was Marvin Miller’s revolution-and nearly half a century later, we are still dealing with its consequences.
    —————————————————————————————–
    Interesting, no? And I bring this to all your attention because of all the bitching and moaning about certain people’s salaries that I’ve been listening to and of which I’ve had no part of. There’s a certain gentlemen who had and has been getting a shitload of pain for a couple of years about his bloated salary but the Giants would *not* be the motherfucking World Series Champions if it were not for him. You all know who I’m talking about.

And I think each and every one of you who did this bitching and moaning owes a huge, and I mean *huge* apology. To…

Barry Zito

11. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Buck Weaver: You get out there, and the stands are full and everybody’s cheerin’. It’s like everybody in the world come to see you. And inside of that there’s the players, they’re yakkin’ it up. The pitcher throws and you look for that pill… suddenly there’s nothing else in the ballpark but you and it. Sometimes, when you feel right, there’s a groove there, and the bat just eases into it and meets that ball. When the bat meets that ball and you feel that ball just give, you know it’s going to go a long way. Damn, if you don’t feel like you’re going to live forever.

12. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I’m so tired now. And happy. It’s just Zeke and Mickey and me again, dishes are still waiting ( LISA!!! Never any good at cleaning up after Dad).. I’ll let Zeke lick plates, then into the dishwasher… tomorrow I finish the system for Louisiana, build the new Gamer, ship to Blade, Craig, Chuckles, SanDog’s certificate…

• blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Mike, again thank you for the PC . . . I’ve been spending the last couple of hours reading reviews on the PC components that will comprise my completed pc . . . Very impressed and it blows everything out of the water I’ve owned to date. Love the fact that the tower has a small “window” to see how everything is “humming” (Hum baby . . . ha).

13. Craig said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I’m a freak about germs, an absolute germ freak, if we ever have dinner together we’re using paper plates….
    Twin is shipping me a home system, minus the small shit, and I can’t wait to fire it up. Twinner, you are a complicated man. But I love ya….

14. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Funny about the germs-the fucking Decadron made me pyscho about it last time around. I was washing a dish 6 times before I’d put food on it. A rare burger? Forget that: sawdust, baby. Maybe because I have Temazepam with it this time, it’s mellower so far.

15. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I went on the Splash earlier today…I know, I know, shut the fuck up!
    ‘Coupla things hit me.
    First of all, I read it once in a while to see what this fucking fuckwad curmudgeon, jackcrabby, has to say but I just wanted to get a feel of the reactions for the plethora of asswipes what resides there upon.
    First off..that creature soph had a couple of nice things to say.
    That’s actually quite appropriate. This soph fella’s whole personification is to be a pretend Giants fan (and, in truth may just be one. Just likes yankin’ people’s chains. Enjoys being an internet anonymous fuckhead) continues, and I applaud it, for having the fucking nerve of even showing up. And still, the soph thing managed to diss the Giants offense while hypocritically stating somehow Bochy’s a good manager.
    Brilliant. Too bad its only audience is the rest of the fuckhead’s there (unless this is a side comfort and in reality, it’s Jaime Kennedy. Encouraging assholes.

But what bothered me was this asshole who calls itself TheTroll.
    This fuckface dissed the Flap. Said it was a realist and all us was nothing but Pollys.
    And then it hit me. The fucking *huge* difference between these “realists”, as this troll, this soph (who’s just a personification, so it really doesn’t matter) and others don’t get it.
    I read we were not “right”. We were “lucky”.
    Uh huh.
    Yup, but you know what????????
    We FLAPPERS KNOW WE WERE LUCKY!!!!!
    We ain’t stupid. The Giants won the World Series through combinations of luck, timing, this, that, the other…
    But what *most* of us knew, and that’s a *HUGE* difference between the Splash and the Flap…
    we also knew that Bochy (and true Flappers, unless joking, never called him Botchy) and Sabean actually fucking knew what they were doing with acqusitions, lineups and bullpens.
    This wasn’t luck with a bunch of Bozo’s (no offense intended bozo).
    Sure. There was luck involved. There’s always luck involved unless you’re dealing with the 1919 World Series (that we know of).
    The Flappers knew. Not at first. Yeah it was just good vibrations at first, with a little trepidarity of the lineup, but once all the move were made and the chemistry kicked in…the Flappers knew.
    This is a team that can win the World Series!!!!
    And guess what? The Giants did.
    P.S.
    Vern and Vera caught a Greyhound and are now headed straight to Michigan. Unfortunately, they live in Indiana

16. Craig said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Ted: you’re the man. You guys always thank me for the blog. I want you all to know that I thank YOU. You all are the ones that make this thing hum….

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm

This blog rocks man. Thank you for it.

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Thank you, Craig. But please know, it’s from the heart and soul

17. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Flav’s the grerm freak so I get the virus????

18. snarkk said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm

It’s official. Definitely goin’ to the parade. Probably heading for Civic Center to see the speechifying and the players on the stage. Then maybe down to ATT and pack in a few souvies and gear for the Snarkettes. I will be calling the school — Orange and Black flu is the cause of the absence. This is the kind of thing my father would never do for/with me. So, I am damn sure goin’ to make it happen with the Snarkettes, and dammit, anyway I want to be a part of the celebration, too. Like I said before, this is a lifetime event for Giants fans, if you CAN do it, why not? 500,000 or more can’t be wrong!…

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Snarkk. What can I say?
      U ROCK

19. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Good night all. Now I need Plan Z: what the fuck to do for 13 weeks? We know Myers lives, I’ll work on that… and bring me the head of Carlos Villarías…

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I just read that.
      Ha ha
      twinfan, you crack me up
      U D man
      Peckinpah forever

20. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Okay.
    No more baseball. As it should be since…
    THE GIANTS ARE THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
    So…what to do, what to do.
    I know! Watch a Bowery Boys movie. Why? Well let’s disect. I think I’ll watch BOWERY BATTALION.
    And here’s why. Think of the cast.
    Leo Gorcey…Slip
    Huntz Hall…Sach
    David Gorcey…Chuck
    Billy Benedict..ahem
    Bllly Benedict (cough)
    Billy Benedict….WHITEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YES Whitey!!
    P.S.
    Vern and Vera realized their mistake and got transfers.
    They now have tickets to…

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Instanbul was Constantinople now it’s Instabul not Constantiople…

21. James said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:51 pm

“I do try to keep my politics out . . . ” a worthy goal but then again, I’ll bet there are few other match ups that would generate this:

22. Nipper said, on November 3, 2010 at 4:56 am

Enjoy the parade for those who will attend. Watch on TV for the rest of us.

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 3, 2010 at 6:28 am

Enjoy the parade. I predict it will be emotional beyond reckoning. Wish I could be there.