A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

SF Giants: 2010 World Series Champions

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 2, 2010

We did it. It’s been done. The magnitude of this accomplishment can’t be understated. And I’m not talking about the team winning the World Series, I’m talking about the perseverance of SF Giants fans. This is a group that has supported utter failure for 56 freaking years with unwavering support. That kind of commitment is hard to find….

I stopped being a Giants fan, simply because of the sport, a long time ago. Maybe it started out that way. But it evolved into something that became a part of me, something that wasn’t an option or a job, it was just……my consciousness. I suspect it is that way for all of you. Did we NEED this World Series win? Of course not, we would never demand anything in return for our commitment as fans to this team. But now that we have been given this gift by this unreal collection of men, it felt right for me to appreciate all of us who have  supported the team for all this time. This is something that we EARNED—try to count up all the hours that you’ve devoted to this team. Who works for free for THAT many hours???? And yet this morning, for the first time ever, you get to wake up a champion. So today, take a moment to salute yourselves. I have complete confidence that our love for this team, our utter devotion to the history and future of the Giants, played a role in this magical year and how it ultimately unfolded…..

“I am a San Francisco Giants fan”…….you have no idea how much pride I exude when I say those 7 words……….

1. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 6:57 am

/Users/stevenmelikean/Downloads/Kuiper Radio Call on KNBR.m4a

2. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 6:58 am

I don’t think it’s working . . . If someone with more pc expertise than me (e.g., Twin) gives me directions on how to do it, let me know.

3. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 6:58 am

My two favorite moments from last night (besides the obvious strikeout to end the game): Burrell hugging Renteria after he hit that bomb and Lincecum walking off the mound in the 7th with a look of absolute determination…..

4. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:01 am

Hey TWIN– Blade has the radio call of Kuip to the end the game. I listened to it this morning, it brought tears to my eyes. I tried to upload it here and failed (he did too). Any ideas on how to download and/or post it on the blog?

5. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:02 am

Yahoo had an excellent article about “Murph,” their clubhouse manager . . . Quite a few Giants (new and old) said this Championship was for him. The dude is 78 years old and started as a batboy for the Giants. Wow!

6. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:04 am

actually, don’t worry about it—sfgiants.com has it along with the Fox call and the Texas broadcast call. Blade’s clip is better though, it’s much longer……..

7. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:04 am

Flav, I just noticed that the second time I pasted the radio file, it says, “waiting for moderation.” Perhaps it did work, but needs to be approved by you.

8. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:47 am

BTW, if anyone thought they were just having a drunken hallucination, I just checked todays’s paper. The Giant’s *DID* win the World Series

9. 3bagger said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:54 am

They just replayed the bottom of the 9th on KNBR. I got goose bumps again.

10. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:59 am

Cody Ross jumping around like a kid as he crossed home plate was classic!!!

Unreal unbelievable fantastic spectacular.

The Comcast guys were talking to Bonds, and he brought up Murphy as well. Said the hiostory he’s witnessed, and to finally win it all was pretty cool.

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:33 am

That might be my favorite moment from the game last night, Chuck. Pure, unbridled joy. I really hope the team brings him back next year.

11. DJLoo said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:07 am

Kuip actually blew the call. Said 52 years instead of 56. Can’t believe how easy the 9th inning went down. Completely torture-free.
    Lost in the shuffle: Huff’s incredible sac bunt, the first of his career.

BF: Thanks for all you’ve done here.

• Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

52 since they moved west . . .

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

Seriously.

12. max808 said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:21 am

48 yrs of watching and waiting and obsessing…

Looking at the replays over and over and it’s just surreal.

13. JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

I’m still stunned the morning after.

I put so much emotion and energy into this post season that right now I’m mostly just beat and drained. And joyful. But it’s a peaceful kind of happiness, which I did not expect. My loudest moment last night came when Rent’s dinger just snuck over the fence in left center. I bellowed out a “Yes!”, stood up too fast, the blood drained out of my head, and I quite literally nearly blacked out. I had to sit down very quickly, so I didn’t crack my coconut on the coffee table.

When Willie struck out Cruz to end it, I just turned to my wife (a lifelong Dodger fan, remember, who was behind me the whole way during the playoffs; that’s true love, my friends) and said, ” 56 years of misery is over.” I’m 49 years old, and there were many times in my life when I thought I’d never see this day. But it’s here, and it’s a sweet feeling indeed. And in a lot of ways, wholly unexpected. This team, of all the terrific SF Giants team of the past, is the one that finally got it done. After 43 years of passionate fandom, the great game of baseball continues to amaze, surprise and bedevil me.

Like Flavor said, as a die-hard fan, you put so much of yourself into the team and it takes a lot of energy. You live and die with them. A lot of people just don’t understand that, but I know everyone here does.

Giants Baseball: Torture. If this is torture, I hope it never stops.

Your San Francisco Giants,

2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Thanks, Flappers, for giving a transplanted, lifelong G’s fan a place to share this special moment.

~John

14. willied said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:30 am

Wow. I gotta hear the radio version of the end, thx I was gonna ask about that. Kuiper was pretty fired up when Tim got through the 8th (I was driving home from work and only saw the 9th). I’m happy for them (broadcasters) too, it was a tortuous year, as have been the last few.

So from now on for a whole year whenever anyone says something about the Giants, I can go, “Oh…you mean the defending world series CHAMPION SF Giants?”

Thx again to Craig for keeping this going. It’s often the most enjoyable thing I do all day, checking in and reading what’s been posted, including some flat out LOL funny shit.

MLB net was really cool, Zum was right. They are all over the Giants, Plesac and Reynolds, etc. Pitching and D, plus timely hitting and smart baseball players (and mgr) doing what they did all year.

15. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

Kat: I need your address. Craig: something will go out to you as well…
    I’ll talk more than you want as the days go by, my friends..now, I’m sure I’m like most-some disbelief, joy, how many guys last night said “surreal”?
    This morning: Bochy. We saw the obvious, but even the little shit, the guy didn’t miss. When he lost confidence in his RH guys in the pen: fuck that, “I’m not using ’em”…short series, this dude who works a pen like no other said he’s going with studs only and that as much as anything won this thing. The difference between two managers has never been more stark.. Bruce schooled Wash…

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Yes he did, Mike. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a disparity between managers in a WS as this. Bochy was just brilliant for the entire post season. I’m so happy for him and for the team.

16. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:39 am

go watch the field celebration again. Check out the embrace Huff and Burrell give eachother. That is some serious man-love between two dudes who have enough man-points between them to build 5 regular men…..

• alex said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:44 am

what’s a “man-point?”

• Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

obviously it’s something I just made up…..

17. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

it took me 5 minutes just to click the “like” button at facebook on all the posts—so many great posts coming from my facebook friends…..

18. alex said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:43 am

Congrats to all on an amazing Giants year. I’m still a little buzzed from last night but reading the columns today is pretty cool finally. I can just imagine what managers are thinking this morning though, now that the free agents log has come out. I don’t guess Sabean’s office gets much rest, but what a feast of players out there.

19. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

I keep flashing to images of these young men as they return for the reunions… and those who won’t… like Juan’s uncle, Chris Brown, so many more… as I posted, these are men who will be heroes beyond the grave… this was a special group, we’ll not see it again. So much talk about misfits and cast offs and all so very true. Yes, they’re wealthy men, athletes whose lives have been blessed with a talent most of us can only dream of… but they’re loved because they made us forget that, Aaron Rowand would have *paid* 12 million to start last night… Barry Zito prepared like he was on the roster.. Aubrey Huff??!! His first bunt in his LIFE? And fucking PERFECT!!!?? Pat Burrell had as bad a series as a man can have and he was as happy as a man can be…
    and there is Edgar. What can be said? The biggest hit in the history of the San Francisco Giants.. and Edgar wil use that to bring children in his country to the game he’s loved. Every man last night said it and it is the ultimate compliment:
    Renteria is a professional baseball player… and man.

20. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

for that one swing from Rent—-he didn’t make enough in his two years here…….

21. JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

Just thinking about the contrast between all the crap Renteria has taken in his two years with the team and the fact that his home run last night was the biggest hit in SF Giants team history is mind boggling. I have so much respect for this humble man. I wish I could tell him that face to face.

22. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:00 am

“It’s Magic Inside” sounded corny as hell when they trotted out that slogan to start this season. Little did they know, and as we all found out, it sure came to pass. The team coalesced from a core of strong homegrown pitching to role players and interchangeable heros from day to day to a unsung yet tough as nails bullpen, that, win or lose, kept the team in just about every game they played. Sabes did and excellent job of getting these guys together from the proverbial scrap heap.

They really played up the team concept as guys like Rowand and Ishikawa, nominal starters at the beginning of the year, didn’t complain or bemaon their fate when Bochy benched them in favor of the hotter hands. Rent and Sanchez battled through injuries, and their backups, the ever revolving door of infielders and outfielders, kept the defense solid amid all the changes. DeRosa? Guillen? Even they contributed in their own small but crucial ways.

World Champs, baby!!! My daughter was sending me pics from Market St last night as she joined in the revelry. I told my son (amid the screaming and yelling and dancing with my wife), don’t forget this moment, you NEVER know if it’ll happen again. I have the game, and like 3 hours of post-game saved on the DVR.

Flav, major props to you for doing this. This place is an oasis of Giants heaven in a sea of doubters. You stuck through all the bullshit and animosity, highs and lows, to guide us loonies all the way to the WORLD SERIES VICTORY, BABY!!!

23. wswinb4igo said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

I keep singing the words of Dylan….

“How Does it Feel?…to be on your own…

24. Kevin said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

The other vision I have is Buster coming out of his crouch, tearing off his mask looking around, yelling. They all looked like kids in a candy shop!! Mike and Craig you two are also the Greatest! Thanks for bringing all these Giants fans together!!

25. JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:12 am

I’m seriously considering flying down from Seattle early tomorrow to catch the parade. Anyone else going?

26. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:16 am

I don’t think I can make the parade– to much work to do and, frankly, I think that with all the emotion I’ve experienced over the last day or so, it might be a little underwhelming for me. But we’ll see…..

27. slo_roll said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

Just some personal ramblings about this team. To me it seemed like they started jelling last year when with that crap offense they made a run at the PS with mainly pitching and determination. I liked that about the team and I remember spending many a night blogging over at bagg’s site trying to defend against the hate against Sabean, Bochy, Renteria, Rowand, Zito, Franchez, Benji, well the list goes on.

And I remember wandering over to the splash at the end of the year and reading one of Micheal’s great essays on what it meant to be a fan— feeling bad for your hero’s when they failed not hating them because of that failure. Well that rang so true to me. As they have scaled the heights, we the fans who wallowed in the failure with them, now can rejoice in the success with them. You guys are deserving of that.

28. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

Are you kidding me? I work 2 block from the parade sight (if those asshole executives at my last job a few months ago hadn’t been greedy crooks, the parade would have gone right by my work’s front door). It’s going to be a looooong lunch tomorrow.

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

Ted, how do you think moving around near city hall would be? I see on the maps there’s a BART station pretty close to it, and I think I could just hoof it from there. Do you know if the train leaves fom SFO and goes right downtown?

• Bozo said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:08 am

Bat – The BART train stops at Civic Center. After you’re done their grab the MUNI metro N Judah train over to the ballpark. I would think most of the players would be going there after the parade to empty out their lockers.
        Just a thought.

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:11 am

You’re right Bozo but you’re forgetting the Keys to the City ceremony following the parade. After *that* the players might be going back to ATT

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thanks guys. BART goes straight to the Civic Center from SFO, which is perfect. I don’t know if I could make the ballpark after (tempting though), because the flight back to Seattle is at 5:35.

• Bozo said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Ted – You’re right. Fuck the locker, with the keys to the city I’d go to a high end watering hole and tell them my tab will be picked up by the city.

Come to think of it. These guys should NEVER have to pay for a drink in SF ever again.

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

JBat. Yes it goes straight downtown. So if you got off at the Montgomery station, it’ll be crowded but you’ll be right where the parade ends. But the Civic Center BART station is not precisely at City Hall but it’s a short walk. It shouldn’t be a problem. The steps of City Hall are on Van Ness Ave

29. snarkk said, on November 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

I am seriously thinking of going to the parade. If I do, I’m taking the two Snarkettes outta school and making a day. This is truly a once in a lifetime deal. There will NEVER NEVER be another FIRST World Series Championship celebration. 50 years from now, they won’t miss the day of school. They’ll remember Pops yelling his lungs out for the Gyros first championship. And, I usually don’t like parades…

30. ferrethead said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

I got tomorrow off! I’m driving down to SF tonight, and my buddy Deb and I are going to the parade. I’m not that high on crowds in general, but I may never get another chance – and, as Snarkk so eloquently put it, there can only be on ‘First’…

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:09 am

Yeah, I haven’t been to a parade since the Niners first super bowl. But…hey!! This is THE GIANTS!!

31. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

Yes, the cassoulet was memorable… I have one confit duck leg left, it is all mine-I will crisp it up andf serve it over a sweet and bitter bed of arugula, sprinkled with raspberry vinegar, and a slice of apple tart for dessert. That’s, uh, breakfast…

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

Heck of a breakfast. 😀

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

…and a nice Chianti

32. 3bagger said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

What a great game and a truely incredible season. Total elation last night, but today I just hate the fact that it’s over. Pitchers and catchers don’t report until Feb 13! What will I do?

• max808 said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

There’s always the Warriors. 🙂

33. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’ve said I’m not in this PC thing to make money from you guys but is anyone up for an auction? I have a very nice dual core system I’ll let go for whatever the high bid is: 100 bucks, 50, I don’t care… This is in a full size tower, an AMD dual core 4800 CPU, 2 Gigs RAM, DVD burner and DVD-Rom, 250 GB hard drive, 6800 GS graphics card ( mid level, good card)…6 USB rear, 2 front… Windows 7 ….you can have it for high bid plus shipping..let me know if any are interested…

34. stixwiz said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Saving the best for last.

Logging on this morning, i slogged and misted through all the Yahoo coverage. Their ‘cover’ photo of rockstar Timmy riding the shoulder of a team-mate, with a triumphant smile on his face and his slender right arm held high, fingers saluting victory, was a classic. Other good stuff there too, like the piece on Murphy that Blade pointed out.

From Yahoo coverage it was over to the Chronicle site and ultimately to the Splash where i gloated a bit, statistically, about Pollys and Doomers. As Michael’s anointed “Uber-Polly” i took that on as my duty; but conceded in the next paragraph that “we’re all Pollys now.”

But saving the best for last, as is my wont, it was a matter of coming home to One Flap Down. Again, Craig, thank you for this labor of love and for providing this true home for the most cerebrally and emotionally fanatical of all Giants fans. You give. We give back. And last night the Giants gave us the answer to our collective dreams as the Black and Orange Halloween Machine extended their October colors one day into November; when all the spirits of the storied history of our team brought home the long-elusive World Championship to the City of St. Francis on the Bay on All-Saints Day.

Baseball is sacred, in its way. It is the hallmark of dedication and devotion and sometimes even deification. But it is not idolatry. We do not so much idolize these gifted athletes and their feats as we adore the spirits that move them to perform the way they do. Ultimately, the spiritual triumphs over the material. All the experts picked the other guys in this most blessed Post-Season. But it was the team with the most character, the largest number of characters and the greatest spirit which became World Champions.

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Well said, stix. Bruce Jenkins made a keen observation about Giants’ fans this morning:
      “Without question, thousands of Bay Area fans harbored secret, dangerous hopes that the Series would return to San Francisco, simply because it was so much fun, the collective bonding experience around AT&T Park were so unforgettable. Then again, you don’t play around with history, especially if you’re a Giants fan. When it arrives at your doorstep, after years of cruel neglect, you welcome it wholeheartedly.

And if it happens to take place 1,750 miles away, so be it.”

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

Nice stix.

35. Sierra Nevada said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:46 am

Congrats to all Giants fans, and especially the Flappers.

Living in the Sierras – no tv reception, I listen to the Giants on the radio, and go to a few games a year with my kids, but I miss a lot of games because of family and work commitments. Reading this blog late at night after games allowed me to keep up as a fan. Thanks for creating this blog, Flavor.

Early this morning my 9 year old son’s class went off for a field trip down to the Academy of Sciences. It was great to send him off in his Giants cap and orange sweater down to the city, proud of his team and proud and happy to be a Giants fan.

36. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Amazing what’s out there on the internets . . .

Before my time, but Marichal is there along with a buch of guys, I have no idea . . . The music gets old FAST . . .

37. JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 11:09 am

Another nice piece by Jayson Stark, one of the saner minds at ESPN:

38. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

Carstie, you always nail it best…
    I tried to touch on what you put so eloquently… I have never seen a sports team that so subjugated individual glory for the greater good, a team that truly became just that, a team. And baseball, despite the talk, is NOT a team sport as basketball, football, hockey are. One man can win it with virtually no help… what told Aubrey Huff to bunt? What spirit made that only bunt one of the great bunts? And Pat? His 10th stike out and without it, Edgar maybe never gets the HR… a STRIKE OUT was a huge at bat… did you watch the man after his K? Class in defeat. Others touched on this as well: his hug of Rent. I didn’t see it as “thanks for saving me”, I saw it as just “Thanks”… now I’ll think of Andres and Juan and tthe effervesecent Panda, Murph, the Thrill, Barry’s jubilation, Frandsen in the clubhouse and enjoying it with the men he had to leave, Velez and near death, Bip said it well: the Giants take care of those who have served… star and scrub alike. And I’ll say a prayer for the Shooter, for Frank Williams, for Chris, and Jose, and so many who enriched our summers for so many years…

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 11:35 am

Very nice

39. delmardennis said, on November 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

Our manager never ceases to amaze me. Forget his wonderful use of the pen; forget his magical juggling of the lineup; forget his ever calming, yet commanding presence in the clubhouse; forget all that stuff—now “Blockhead” is a laugh riot comedian.

This from Cam Inman’s piece in today’s Bay Area News Group: A day after a young Rangers fan dressed up for Halloween as Rangers manager Ron Washington, how could a kid make a worthy costume of Giants manager Bruce Bochy? “Well, he’d have to blow his head up somehow,” joked Bochy. What time does our skipper open up at the Punch Line? I’ll take two down front.

One final note about the Bay Area News Group: I’m thinking about cancelling my subscription.
    They quoted me in this morning’s edition. My, how the newspaper industry has fallen.

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Why I’d never join a club that would have me as a member

40. JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

Chris Lincecum was just interviewed on local sports radio. A few highlights:

-He said he’s never seen Tim’s mechanics sharper.

-Chris asked him after the game if he was upset about being pulled for BW in the 9th. Time said no way, it was all good. But given how sharp Timmy was, his dad thought he should have gone out for the 9th.

-They talked the night before the game, and Chris asked him if he was nervous. Tim said, “No, this is destiny, dad. We are destined to win.”

-Chris said Rags told him that before the game he told Tim that he needed Tim to let it go, to pitch with adrenaline. Don’t hold anything back. I think it’s safe to say that’s exactly what we saw.

-Chris said, while the team may tinker with the mechanics of other pitchers on the staff, they leave Tim alone. If he’s having problems, they just show him pictures, and tell him, “This is what you were doing, and this is what you’re doing now.” He fixes it himself. Pretty cool.

-The last thing he said was, “He beat Superman.”

His dad sounded incredibly proud. It was cool to listen to his insights.

• xootsuit said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm

The photo of the group celebration on the field with Lincecum alone lifted high above, thrusting his arm skyward, sure is popular with the newspapers and websites today. That fact pleases me. The long-haired left-coast warlock was triumphant.

41. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Having big winters: Guzman again, Belt, Charlie Culberson, Edlefson… who won’t be back? What, if anything, can they get for the Gamer? A good reserve catcher maybe? I don’t see Pat, Whitey, Guillen, Mota back. Huff/Belt/Travis all in the first base picture, Huff or Belt in left, I can see Neal challenging Nate for a spot. I don’t see them going for a SS in a bad market: Juan and Burriss…maybe even Rent on a make good one year….

42. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm

My wife woke me up at 6:00 am this morning, and said, “Did it really happen?”

My son has his Giants 2010 NL Pennant Champs shirt on this morning (no hats allowed) . . .

Even if for a small slice of time, all is right with the world. . . .

43. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm

One more time….

44. TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This may sound at first like I’m bitching. I’m not. I actually found it funny. Ande a reminder of how things work.
    I subsribe to the Chronicle so I had my paper in my apartment lobby this morning. But I needed to pick up 3 more copies for out of town friends. So on the way to work, I grabbed a handful of quarters and walked the streets. Naturally all the machines were empty. So in the Financial District, I went to the nearby smokeshop around 10. “Sorry” she said, “We sold out by 9. But the owner went to pick up some more. Come back in an hour” So 11 rolls along. I make the quick jaunt up the block and a half and there are 4 left, so I got there *just* in time. I grab my 3, take it to the counter and the clerk sheepishly says “That’ll be $15.” I said “WHAT??!!” And she said “I know, I know. But the owner told me I have to sell them for $5 apiece. And he’s keeping track so it’s out of my pocket if I give anyone a break”
    Long story short (too late) I gave her the $15 and went back to work.
    I figure, what the fuck? The Giants may be heading to Dynasty World, but this was the beginning. Worth every penny to share with my friends.
    Good times

• Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I can get ya a good deal on some Sac Bees, Ted . . .

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I appreciate it, chuck. But…it’s just not the same

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Sheeesh, that’s disheartening that you’d be gouged like that. But thanks for your dogged determination. And generosity. (They still have some nerve….)

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Robbery, but you’re right. Being out of town, I went for the special SFGate is running, one day-after paper and a t-shirt for $20.

45. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Don’t I know it . . .

46. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:47 pm

this is that Ashkon dude in some “behind the scenes” shots. When he says “this could be the season” in his song I get choked up every time……

47. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:47 pm

sorry, here it is, you might have already seen it

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm

wow! that really captures the mood of the street and the whole atmosphere; thanks!

48. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:58 pm

One of my fave moments last night: 6th or 7th inning, Timmy races off the mound to field a dribbler and lasers a seed to Huff. It was a statement and had some swagger. Lots of swagger. “We ain’t losing. You an’t messing with us. Not on my watch, boy. Take that!” Loved it. And that must still be hurting Huff’s hand.

49. dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I still can’t put this whole thing into words.

My favorite moment last night was watching Bochy and Lincecum embrace on the field after the win. Bochy is a much bigger man and was just shaking Lincecum like a rag doll. Lincecum the young kid with a lightning bolt in his arm. Driven by his father to succeed by his father and coming through with it all on the line. Rising to the occasion and kicking down the door to a championship.

My personal moment was a call from my brother after the victory. He was never much of a baseball fan as we were growing up. I played through high school and he dutifully attended games to support me but I am sure he wasn’t enjoying it. We were at the sea on ending clincher against SD and he was excited. Then and there I thought SF could win it all. Anyway, he calls me last night after the win screaming and yelling. I could tell there were tears running down his face. Naturally i cried like a little girl. It was what baseball is all about for me as a fan. It brings family together. It brings friends together. It has brought all of us together.

A season of torture leads to The Giants laying waste to the competition in the post season.

Your 2010 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:08 pm

one of a zillion wonder-filled stories and I thank you; I, a writer, have not even begun to articulate this

50. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Kat has opted against the prize, evidently PC shipments are not accepted at Santa Rita 😉
    Blade captured second so the prize is his. Please send your address…
    Specs again:
    Thermaltake V3 Black Midtower, 500W PSU
    2.6 GHZ AMD Triple Core Processor (that’s 3 cores at 2.6 per core)
    Asus AM3 DDR3 Motherboard
    4 GB DDR3 Memory
    I TB SATA II Hard Drive
    (2) 22X DVD-RW ( burns and reads DVDs and CDs)- with two you can burn disk to disk
    All-in-One Card Reader
    Sapphire Radeon HD5670 Ultimate 1GB DDR5 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
    USB Keyboard/Mouse
    Windows 7 Ultimate

51. max808 said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great shot of Lincecum with his fist raised. Took me back to 72 when a friend and I, hair to our shoulders, we’re passing through Texas. We ended getting a police escort out of town.

52. JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Well, I’m taking the plunge. I’ll be hopping an early plane tomorrow from Seattle and should be arriving at SFO at 8:30. I’m looking forward to celebrating with all the other G fans. I just hope I can see something!

53. stixwiz said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

JBat: Thanx for the tip on Jayson Stark at ESPN and his wrap on the game and the series. This is the second piece i’ve read by him and IMHO this guy could very well be the best baseball writer out there. AND: Either he has a totally encyclopedic knowledge of the game or he is a not so totally secret Giants fan.

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Yeah, stix, he does a nice job. I liked the positive spin of this article. A welcome change from most of the crap written and said about the Giants this playoffs.

54. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Pawlie, I got your voicemail– I’m sorry I’m not technologically sound enough to replay that on the blog– and I am absolutely in the same boat with you, my man……

55. wswinb4igo said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’m thinking Ash should revise his lyric from division champions, to 2010 World Series Champions….

I’m grabbin my “young lady” and we’re flyin up from L.A for the parade. I’m 55 but feel 18…fuck yea…2010 Giants WTFN

56. blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

OMG . . . I was just communicating with Carstie about politics (via email) and switching back and forth to the blog, catching up on all of your posts. I just saw Twin’s post about the PC contest and I’m shocked that Kat turned down the pc and apparently, I get the prize (I would never say that I won, because Kat won).

Kat thank you so much . . . you probably don’t know this, but my pc is figuratively held together by “duct tape and baling wire, i.e., I have owned it since 2002 or 2003 (I’ve forgotten – it’s been so long).

Twin, I don’t know what to say, except thank you very much. I am so very grateful for your generosity. Last night while watching the game I didn’t know who was ahead in the contest, albeit, I knew I was close. However, I ONLY WANTED MORE RUNS (it’s that “torture” thing ya know).

Anyway, thank you both for making this happen 🙂

I do have a question Twin – I am leaving on a 3-4 week road trip to visit a dying friend in Arizona, then onto the SF bay area to visit family and friends – is it possible to hold off on sending me the pc until I return or picking it up at your house? Besides I would love to meet you. Your call. Again, thank you.

57. max808 said, on November 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm

God, I do hate parades and large crowds, but I feel the pull. Maybe North Beach for breakfast, some bloody mary’s at Gino and Carlo’s, then mosey on down. What the hell, a once in a lifetime, [water flowing underground].

• Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

heh heh heh

Same as it ever was???

Hardly!!!

58. ferrethead said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This from Tim Flannery: “I can’t believe it,” he said. “When you think about all the people … (breaks down, regains his composure). You know what we did? We respected the game. The game of baseball is sacred, and if you honor it, a little window opens up. Tonight, the world opened up for us.”

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

This from Bochy, noting the disparity between a North Carolina drawl and a heavy Dominican accent. After Bumgarner walked Elvis on 4 pitches Uribe went to the mound to say something to MadBum. The press asked Bochy what great words of wisdom transpired and Bochy said “Oh, I couldn’t tell you. I don’t know if Madison could tell you, to be honest.”

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Awesome quote ferrethead.

59. DJLoo said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Sabean: “This buries the bones of 2002, 1989, and 1962.”

Exactly how I feel, especially 2002. Just like 2004 buried 1986 for Bosox fans.

60. Bozo said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Your World Champion San Francisco Giants.

Sorry, I just love saying that, typing it and feeling it.

61. Kevin said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Just think this feeling will last, for some all the way to spring training, but then Opening day at home will bring it back just as strong as today!!

62. Flavor said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

this buzz hasn’t worn off in the slightest. But I have had a few “choked up” moments that have snuck up on me at random moments— in the car, at the store, at work, pretty much all day long……

• ferrethead said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Flav – that quote from Flannery got me…

63. dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Listening to Bonds on the call in was great last night. I got the feeling he genuinely was happy for SF and didn’t care that he wasn’t playing. Sure he wanted to bring the championship home as a player but last night even Barry was a fan.

64. snarkk said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm

If anybody wants to try to meet up tomorrow in SF before/during/after the parade, shoot e-mail to snarkk44@hotmail.com.

Beware, Snarkettes will be in tow, but beers are still possible…

65. Nipper said, on November 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Orange and Black……..YES!

66. Kristen said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I wore my Sandoval jersey to work today in Houston, made even better because I had to give a presentation, for which I added my old school SF hat.

• TedSpe said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I wore my Huff rally thong to work today in San Francisco, made even better because I had to give a presentation…no one noticed

• swickman said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Come on, Ted…those see through white pants…you know they noticed…

• Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm

If you were installing refrigerators, they noticed . . .

• swickman said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I wore my Lincecum jersey!

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Kristen, that is fantastic!

• JBat said, on November 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Awesome Kristen! I wore my new Giants World Series cap to work today. It felt great!

67. Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

As usual, my daughters will be there. Damned kids hace all the fun . . .

Told ’em to take their cameras . . .

68. swickman said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm

THAT WAS AWESOME! I went with my brother and a couple of friends over to Clubhouse 56 here in Sacramento. The place was jam-packed and we were lucky to find seats at the bar. When Renteria hit his HR, it was pure pandemonium there, more so after Wilson’s last pitch. High fives everywhere and Jimmy, the bartender, poured champagne for everyone.

I did not see this coming this year. I just didn’t. I joked at the beginning of the year, “Wouldn’t it figure that after all those great teams let us down, it’d be a year like this one where we win the World Series?” But I wasn’t serious. I’ve only dreamed of this day. The 9th inning was almost too fast. I wanted to savor every pitch. Every excruciating pitch. I wanted to let it sink in that we were only 3 outs, only 2 outs, only 1 out away from winning it. But it was fast. With the final swing, everyone around me jumped up and down but I could only sit there in disbelief with my arms raised high.

Thank you, misfits and castoffs, for bringing me so much happiness. Thank you, San Francisco, for being so kickass. Thank you, Flav, for hosting this blog. Thank you, Flappers, for calling each other fuckwads while still being united in your support of the Giants.

I could only begin to put this into words this afternoon because I’ve been walking around shellshocked since last night.

69. snarkk said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I heard on that ESPN radio show “Mike and Mike” this morning, a horrible show BTW, one of the hosts congratulating the Giants, and saying “that closer” with the beard was “scary”. “That closer”? Typical of ECoast tools that have a national mouthpiece. The guy doesn’t even know Wilson’s name. He probably knows Mariano Rivera’s hat size. Weak…

• Unca Chuck said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, typical. Much like the 250 year old nuns they showed in the stands yesterday.

In Texas, it’s God-fearing old ladies bangning on cute little drums.

In SF, it’s scary freaks and crazies smoking pot, making crazy-ass videos, and running amok through the streets and in the stands.

Come to think of it, nevermind . . .

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Screw the pundits SF doesn’t need their respect. They’re the champs and nothing is ever going to change that.

70. swickman said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm

All the anguish this year. Anguish over the losing out on the chance to overpay LaRoche, signing Huff (Sabean’s second choice to most), the Molina signing, the Renteria contract, Sanchez’s shoulder and lack of spring training, Bumgarner’s slow start, Wellemeyer’s even worse start, Torres’ terrible start, Bowker over Schierholtz, Posey in the minors, Posey at first, Denny fucking Bautista, Velez up, Velez down, Velez up, the inability to beat the goddamn Padres, the Phil Cuzzi game, Lincecum’s poor mid-season, Lincecum’s tipping pitches.

It’s all worth it. It’s all worth it.

71. Kevin said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I have to say that I don’t have to listen to A’s fans bragg about their championship years anymore!!

• swickman said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I can’t wait to go pick up my kid from soccer practice tonight. One of her friend’s parents is a complete prick of a Dodger fan. He’s been saying all along how the Giants suck and aren’t capable of winning. It’s going to be so great to be able to just say “1988” to him. So great.

72. swickman said, on November 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Who was it who wanted Brad Penny instead of Bumgarner? How would that deal have worked out?

• Bozo said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I don’t know, but if we has a better coached team, like the Padres, just think how far we could have gone.
      Oh really? Never mind.

• snarkk said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I said early on to sign Penny to a one and one. But, it wasn’t in place of Bumgarner. Penny would have had the spot eventually taken by Walkenmeyer. At that point, it looked like Bum was not even going to make it to SF this year, and if you remember, there was some talk of him maybe having some sort of physical issue. Penny didn’t work out for the Cards, that’s for sure. It probably was a good thing Sabes didn’t listen to me on that one…

73. twinfan said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Blade: I’ll hold onto it, let me know when you want it. As far as picking it up here, it depends on how I am. I’m not always open to visitors. If I’m walkin’ and talkin’ and all that, probably yeah…

• blade3colorado said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I just sent you an email and yes, your suggestion about sending it tomorrow will work too. Thanks Mike.

74. Craig said, on November 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm

And that look on wilson’s face as posey ran towards him was priceless. Timeless. I’ll never forget that…