The Aftermath

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 3, 2010

Yesterday was so much fun. The “small town” feel of this ride has sustained itself. I had people I didn’t know yelling “Go Giants!” and “World Series Champs, baby!” out of their car windows as they drove by me on the street. It seemed like 80% of the Bay Area, at least on the west side, had their Giants gear proudly on display….

I couldn’t help thinking a lot about Rod Beck yesterday. It’s just too bad he never got to experience this, even just as a former Giant alum. He had 199 saves for us but only got to pitch in one playoff game for the Giants. And if there was ever a guy who would have fit into this team, identified with the personality of the 2010 guys, it was Shooter…….

Everyone who *made it* to November 2nd, 2o1o and got to wake up to the brilliance of this accomplishment should take the time to appreciate it. So many great Giants and great Giants fans weren’t as fortunate…..

All right, so let’s start talkin’ some baseball. Who do we keep? Who gets let go? I imagine Huff and Ross get resigned, The Bat and Uribe don’t, Renteria retires and Aaron Rowand….uh…..just disappears. But we’ll see. Mark DeRosa’s flexibility WILL factor into what they do with the decisions related to the guys above…….

I know the Giants would love to have Uribe return but I think the cat is out of the bag on him and he’ll get a multi-year deal for more than Sabean is willing to pay…..

1. ferrethead said, on November 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm

What a great day! Couldn’t see or hear the speeches, but clapped and cheered when the crowd did. (During an especially lusty ‘boo’ my friend said “Who’s that?” I turned to her “Must be The Governator” – nailed it) The crowd was jolly, the weather beautiful, and the air fragrant. (I’ve never been more grateful they don’t do urinalysis where I work – total contact high.)

I am not a parade person, or a crowd person, but I had to be there today. I couldn’t imagine my guys winning the WS, the town throwing this party and me at work. I prefer to regret things I did and not things I didn’t do, and now I’ll never have to wish I had done this. I am so grateful that I am in a position in my life that I was able to be there – and, trust me, for any of you who weren’t, I cheered enough for ALL of us!!!

I couldn’t wait to come home and share this with you guys, and when my friend sends me her pictures I’ll talk to flav about sharing some of them. She got some great video of Timmy and Burrell. (I think all my pictures will be out of focus, but fingers crossed…)

I’m sweaty, exhausted, and sooooooo happy! (Does anyone know how long this silly grin will stay on my face? I’m not complaining, but people are going to start questioning my sanity soon…) 😀

• Bozo said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:08 pm

FH – I think Wilson eluded to the smell of prop 19 in the air. Where were you camped out at? Good on you for going. I had the KTVU feed (thanks Xoot) going here in NC.

• blade3colorado said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm

“I prefer to regret things I did and not things I didn’t do, and now I’ll never have to wish I had done this.”

– I’ve seen this quote once before but can’t remember who said it . . . Regardless, these are words to live by . . . Jean, thank you for telling us about your experience at the parade. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

2. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm

FerretHead,
    Thanks so much for your first-rate, purely fantastic chronicle of The Event. Wooo-hoooo!

3. twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:17 pm

The Warriors are just no substitute quite yet. And Sing just doesn’t get it. Throw a guy under the bus, all the way, Mike. He’s now got 4 quarterbacks who have no idea where they really stand. I think I’ll be watching a lot of baseball the next three months…

4. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I saw quite a bit on MLB.com via my computer, then my wife said, hey, it’s probably on cable. It was. Channel 100. We DVRed the latter third or so; have not seen major segments. When it is snowing and the wind-chill temp. is -20 [a balmy day for Stixwix], it will make for some very warm viewing.

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Um, I’m a self-employed verbal artisan, wordsmith architect, and message distiller. Good Lawd! Haven’t billed too many hours these past two weeks. Not that I’m complaining. Time for capitalism, starting, er, tomorrow. Yeah. Tomorrow. For at least part of the day. (Can’t I squeeze in one nap?)

• blade3colorado said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm

You did nap today Pawlie and I have the evidence (email from you stating same. Ha.).

6. ferrethead said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Thanks everybody, for your kind words. And, flav, POTD?!?! Wow, I’m honored.

I’m glad my friend dvr’d it – I’m trying to figure out if she can transfer it to video for me. She thinks she just needs a coaxial cable…yeesh, I have bunches of those I could have brought one with me. If not, that’s what commemorative dvds are for. Yep, MLB is going to make a fortune off of me this year…

Good night, ladies and gentlemen (!)

Woo-Hoo!!!!!!

7. xootsuit said, on November 3, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I agree with Chuck, I wish the people at City Hall had the Giants Balls to play Ashkon’s version of “Don’t Stop Believin.” Several of us in the office would’ve been singing along to our favorite lines (“hands down — Rookie of the Year!”). I get the feeling the copyright counsel done put the cease and desist kibosh on such things. But that’s about the only minor gripe I got. Great way to spend a couple of hours at the computer while that other work in the background idled. Tremendous crowd. Was it Neukom who lauded the diversity of the City and of the Giants fan nation? Beautiful thing to behold, 500,000 strong, or whatever it was. And it was easy to imagine how many millions more were following by tv, computer, or even radio. What was it Buster said? “Let’s enjoy this now, for a week, for a month. Then let’s get back to work and do it again!” Yeah. Hey, now that I think about it, maybe it is time to get to work . . . .

btw, the kid told me today as we drove to school that he thinks wants to get a new Giants hat. Time to retire the lucky one he wore all season to the trophy case, I guess, and start on next season. “2010 World Championship Hat.”

8. Flavor said, on November 3, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Ashkon would have performed that song in a nanosecond— the giants brass whiffed on not including him. And where was Kent? Too much Texas failure for him I guess. Bonds? I think Barry is going to be a epic and constant feature for the Giants once his absurd legal issues get resolved. But Barry belonged there today……
    Hackman wheelin’ it BIG from Reno had me tappin’ the rewind button many times……..

• wswinb4igo said, on November 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I read where he, and Perry, were trying to worki, out a copyright thing regarding that….the Giants were/are in hold mode on that…

What a glorius year this has been…may have to change my screen name to sawmywswin-wecandoitagain…

9. Bozo said, on November 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Your World Champion San Francisco GIANTS!

Damn, I’m just loving those words
    Night all.

10. Flavor said, on November 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

can’t believe I forgot about her………

11. twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I thought about Sue a lot- she died within days of her diagnosis. Last stage. That’s one of the truly scary things with that disaease- few know they have it until they present at hospital in unrecoverable status. Long time smokers are always sick and expect it to be so…

12. twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

It was a fine couple of weeks- I went from near catastrophic news to nearly joyful, I saw my daughter, did a few things for some of you, enjoyed some great baseball, cried and laughed and ate and paraded… bit the dog and chewed the cat, kissed my friends, cursed Myers, and dined on the head of Nosferatu… it was, as is said: not fucking bad…

13. Billy said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm

What a parade! What a season! World Champs! Thanks to everyone here and their insight for making it that much more enjoyable. Too early to start talking contracts?

• twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Hell, FA season is on 5 days after the series. No filing even. They’re out there by the weekend…
      Bring me the head of Carl Crawford, I’m finally ready…

14. Kevin said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I recorded the parade shown on Comcast Sports Net, even those guys said it must be destiny, they said it was a beautiful day in SF weather wise!! This is so cool. I will never delete this!! I think I have the 49ers first SB on a VCR tape.

15. Kevin said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

The annoucer on CSN said that until you support a loser you don’t know what this feeling is like, I think that is so true!! I watched the Giants for sooooooooooo long that this is…incredible!!

16. twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

They can deny it, they can call me a liar, they can insult my daughter, poison my dog: but Joe was trying to throw it away..

• TedSpe said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about but I will defend to the *death* your right to say it

• TedSpe said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm

(you know, he’s talking about…..(hush)…..the……catc…..h)

17. twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm

That extra month is pretty cool. Remember when our holiday season went all the way to Spring Training when the Niners were in it every year? This weekend we can be taliking Hot Stove already, there are highlights galore, get the MLB package and you can see about any game you want-sans torture… I’m just about to watch Travis go deep on Ubaldo…

18. TedSpe said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Huff’s Theme. Sung to the tune of….”Say A Little Prayer”:

This morning I woke up
    The thong wasn’t feelin’ too choked up
    I KNEW A SMALL PARADE WAS TO BE

And as I just threw up
    My balls were athletically held up
    I KNEW A SMALL PARADE WAS TO BEEEEEE

FOREVER, FOREVER, FEELING OH FUCKED UP, YA
    FOREVER, FOREVER, SEALING THE TUCKED UP SHIRT, OH YEAH
    FOREVER, FOREVER…for meeeeeeeeeee

And now that I’m yawning…I see a little lite beer can calling
    I KNEW A SMALL PARADE WAS TO BEEEEEE

FOREVER, FOREVER, FEELING OH FUCKED UP, YA
    FOREVER, FOREVER, SEALING THE TUCKED UP SHIRT, OH YEAH
    FOREVER, FOREVER…for meeeeeeeeeee

19. TedSpe said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:49 pm

And allow me just to say…with none of my usual profanity.
    Giants.
    The San Francisco Giants.

That’s all there really is to say.

Goodnight, gentlemen

QUESTION MARK!!!!
    (gay ass smiley face)
    🙂

20. Kevin said, on November 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm

The sun is going to shine all the way to spring training!

21. twinfan said, on November 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Every year I think we will get the Camelot rain in the evening and the sun all day. Here it’s nice-it’s a Big Sky so even in the storms there is light and breadth in the air, unlike the city… the fish love the rain and come to surface even in the dead of winter when ice will form.. Zeke battles the stream like the madman he is and Mickey watches him, knowing the fool Zeke is… Zekey cannot really SWIM, see: he fights, battles, beats, paddles, whips, froths, and dominates the water: lest he sink like a stone. The late Kirby was a ballerina of the creek:effortless, no moving parts.. his head sailed above the waterline and it’s all you saw. Kirby was Torres, Zeke is Dunn…

22. zumarust said, on November 4, 2010 at 12:54 am

Rob Schneider was a revelation in the parade coverage on CSN. He knows his stuff.

• zumarust said, on November 4, 2010 at 12:55 am

I’m finally getting around to watching the parade coverage at this late hour.

23. Craig said, on November 4, 2010 at 1:44 am

I can’t sleep. “Kirby was torres, zeke is Dunn”— that just might have me LQT—myself to sleep 🙂