Unwinding from an Amazing Season

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 7, 2010

Without the allure of the post season, at least one of you was watching re-runs of last Summer’s baseball games. Another of you was re-reading a newspaper that a virtual friend sent you months ago. I was watching horses run around counter-clockwise over and over. And how about that Zenyatta race? Epic. I had hoped she would win, I supported her through all that Rachel Alexander nonsense, but it wasn’t to be. I hope some of you took solace in my longshot pick of the day  (Fly Down) hitting 3rd at 29-1, the tri and super helped ease some of my pain. But I digress…..

Regretfully, I am starting to let go of the 2010 season. It’ll always be with me but the daily routine—waking up early to put together a thread,  pouring over stats, preparing for the games, watching the games, manically blogging……that’s all coming to an end for the long, monotonous Winter. I’ll keep the threads fresh though they might not be changed everyday. I know that even without them actually playing, this is a great spot to talk baseball or anything else that someone is interested in discussing. The hot stove talk probably won’t involve us that much. Maybe someone can get a live feed to the Camp Panda Project; and by “live feed” I don’t mean a video of him eating a midnight snack…..

All right guys, off to the day. A baseball-less day. A rainy day. Ugh. I think I’ll bedazzle myself with the new Countdown Page to the right……

1. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 6:36 am

here’s a link to the Important Baseball dates this Winter

2. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 7:23 am

Long before we knew this truly was special in a baseball sense, 2010 was a very special and important season for me, as I’ve recounted far more often than is/was fair to so many here who quietly bear their own problems with health and family. Once again, I thank you all for your indulgence and do hope that at least some of what I’ve shared may help in even the smallest way, your health is too important to trust to the system…
    On November 29 I will have another MRI and there is reason for optimism, according to both UCSF and St. Helena, that the remaining tumor died when my seizure occurred. If that be the case, I’ll be able to wean from the decadron once again and recommence what people tell me they call “real life”.
    😉
    Final note on this for today: I truly do believe in the power of the collective spirit and everyone of you imbued me with it day after day. As Andres would say:
    “It’s a bless”…
    Thanks for a great blog, Craig…

• TedSpe said, on November 7, 2010 at 12:17 pm

We love you twin

3. willied said, on November 7, 2010 at 8:58 am

Nice one Zum from the last thread about the FSN-type lunatices on Baggs blog and elsewhere. How many times over last 2 years have we heard over and over SF is not good enough because they need a true middle order bat, yadda yadda?

Hopefully Sf win is a wake up call that you don’t need billionaire FA guys to win every year. Middle order payroll, draft and sign good players, pitch play D and smart baseball trumps everyone. Guys like Huff, Burrell, Ross, Uribe could have wound up anywhere on any team that wanted them. And I hope they all wind up here for 2011, too.

My only question about Adam LaRoche (who raked here, remember) is why does this guy get moved so often? Why is it that every team the guy plays for doesn’t want him back?

• twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

No chin.

4. stixwiz said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:08 am

Next several days i won’t have much to offer the blog unless something dramatic and totally unexpected occurs. Reason: Winter comes soon to the Northwoods of Minnesota. In about a week weather prognosticators indicate our temps will be primarily below freezing. Got a bit of gardening wrapup to do; a small roof repair; straw-bale banking around the foundation of the old shack; general cleanup of stuff around the place not to be left outdoors over winter, etc.

It’s been one helluva season and what just a handful of us thought might occur actually happened and now Giants fans are on a buzz for the next 99 days and then anticipation and speculation take over once again. With the core six players all on the sunny side of 30, SF is set to contend for years to come and with a couple of the right decisions and breaks could dominate for the better part of a decade. Much thanx to Craig for the blog and to Michael for helping keep us on an even keel and for his generosity.

It’s a great time to be a Giants fan.

5. Macdog said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:23 am

Best wishes, TF.

I love football season, especially in December and even more so if I can get to a couple of games with all the tailgating and the large crowds. But I’m having some kind of withdrawal now that this incredible baseball season is finally over, one that ended with a first-time experience for all of us: the San Francisco Giants winning the very last game.

For the better part of the last seven months, I’ve been following and watching and reading about this team’s daily exploits, celebrating the wins and agonizing over the losses. And now it’s over. I really do miss watching this crazy cast of characters playing the game as hard and as passionately as any I’ve ever seen. And the pitching, of course, was otherworldly. This truly was a one-of-a-kind season.

But enough of that. Time to move on and start work on the dynasty. A repeat? Why the hell not!

6. Sportdude said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:23 am

MLB showed SF Giants recaps, playoff games etc for 24 straight hours from 9 last night till tonight. Cool!

Keep all the arb eligible but fontenot. Why do we need him?

Great off season to all. Thanks again Craig…

7. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:36 am

I see that Edgar has announced that he is not retiring… hardly a surprise.
    Trying to get my work room in order today, finished up the HTPC and a killler gamer I had discussed.
    I definitely have some baseball withdrawal. I know that when ST begins I’ll recharge again and we’ll do it all again but it will still be the second kiss of our lifetimes, whatever happens to this wonderful group….

8. James said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:57 am

willied, in part, I think LaRoche gets moved a lot because his numbers do not stand our for the position he plays.

Oddly, he had a relatively poor year in Arizona, walking only once more than Panda did. His power numbers also dropped despite the more aggressive approach and the stadium (The over hyped Bank One actually favored pitchers in 2010). He had a good year with RISP and had a lot of runners on base (31 more than the league avg. for the number of PAs) hence the 100 RBIs.

I still like the idea of bringing LaRoche on board. He’ll be a much better deal than someone like Crawford, and do just as much to help the team win.

9. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 10:00 am

Didn’t LaRoche basically tell Sabean to go fuck himself by taking a lot less money? Maybe I’m not remembering that correctly. I like the idea of a fast outfield and Huff at first base. A lot of guys can do what LaRoche does, for a lot less $$$….

• willied said, on November 7, 2010 at 11:28 am

Like who? SF won last year with double water buffaloes in OF. As long as Ross stays, that allows you to rest Torres once in a while. Huff is more than capable in OF, and I don’t think Belt (or sando for that matter) would put up better OPS numbers than LaRoche. And I think the success of Huff (and the whole team) and his 26 HRs might convince LH hitters you can have a good season at ATT without being Barry Bonds.

10. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 10:04 am

in fact, outside of Crawford who I would take a big swing at, there really isn’t anyone out there who I’d want Sabean to pay too much for. Fielder wants 200 million? Fuck that shit. Go get Crawford or just stand pat. It’s not like we need to add a lot of pieces, we just won the freaking World Series.

11. xootsuit said, on November 7, 2010 at 10:04 am

Hey, Craig. You have the Big Game to look forward to. I suspect some long-pent frustration will channel into hard work and preparation this week and leave the Snodfart squad with a keen edge, ready for revenge. One meaning of “palo” is “club,” and I foresee a very big club crushing down on Cal. No matter how ludicrous the point spread gets, bet on Stanford. I’ve always believed in luck; Stanford’s got the good stuff this year. I hope the Cal game turns out to be just a warm-up for a much bigger game they’ll play later this year. And I’m not referring to the Alamo Bowl.

• ewisco said, on November 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm

i haven’t seen snodfart in years. i used to have a buddy who printed tee-shirts back in the 70’s and we took the stanford decal and cut it up and printed snodfart tees.

Go Indians (I still have two pennants with indians on them.)

• xootsuit said, on November 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I first saw it in the back window of a volvo parked in a crowd of cars near a big house in Santa Cruz. I was walking home one night, in the 1970s. I could see a small crowd of people through a welll-lit window. Didn’t look like party goers; more like a group gathered around an accident. Suddenly a woman screamed: “Well why don’t you take your back pack!” Sound of a book or something like that, standing in for the backpack, hitting the inner wall of the house. “And your Kerouac shoes!” Whatever that meant; same sound. “And your goddamned fear of commitment!” Same sound. “And get the fuck out of my life!” Close as I ever got to an encounter group.

12. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 10:05 am

between Belt, Sandoval, and De Rosa, at least one of those guys will step up and make our offense better than it was this year…….

13. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 10:07 am

XOOT— I haven’t looked too closely yet at the bowl possibilities but I think the ALamo bowl is our most likely game. “Palo Club”– my little league team name…..
    I don’t bet on the Big Game, ever. Or at least I try not to. But I agree with you, I just can’t see Cal making a go of it against this squad. And Harbaugh is coaching his ass off right now, he showed AZ stuff last night that they haven’t done all year.

• willied said, on November 7, 2010 at 11:22 am

Cal almost lost to freaking Wazzu yesterday. They trailed at half, the first time WSU has led a real team that late in like 3 fucking years. Only way Cal stays in it is if they can run the ball and keep Luck off the field (or fuck him up). See if they can hold Oregon under 100.

14. alleykat said, on November 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

Giants should make a play for that SS from Japan,Hiroyuki Nakajima 28. Best possible F/A SS available if Sebui Lions let him negoiate with MLB teams.Which sounds like they will.

Last 3 years
    2008- AB’s 486 R 75 H 161 2B 32 HR’s 21 RBI’s 81 SB 25 BA.331 OBP .410 SLG .527 OPS .937
    2009- AB’s 560 R 100 H 173 2B 31 HR’s 22 RBI’s 92 SB 20 BA. .309 OBP .398 SLG .493 OPS .937
    2010- AB’s 503 R 80 H 158 2B 33 HR’s 20 RBI’s 93 SB 15 BA .314 OBP .385 SLG .511 OPS .896

This dude can flat out hit.Has power and speed and just won a gold glove to boot. Doesn’t speak English,but that’s alright too,Cause are hitting coach Bam Bam Muelens speaks Japanese.A perfect fit to help him make the adjustments to American ball.

• ewisco said, on November 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm

akat, great pull! any idea if the g’s would have to pay the lions some fee first? I remember boston paying 50 mil just to negotiate with the pitcher and i don’t see the g’s doing that.

15. TedSpe said, on November 7, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Emotianally, none of this hit me until today.
    I’ve been on cloud 9 all week.
    But around 8:30 this morning, I went outside to bask in the rain and read the Sporting Green.
    And it finally hit me. It finally hit me. I was reading Scott Ostlers rundown of the season and I starting welling up. It’s no longer a dream. It’s no longer a fantasy. The World Champions of Major League Baseball are my beloved San Francisco Giants.
    I know. Old news.
    But it just hit me in the heart this morning. And while I type this. I’ve stated before, I rarely say “we” when it comes to the Giants. But I have to say…”we” did it. We really, really did it.

16. Craig said, on November 7, 2010 at 12:29 pm

When I get home that’s an easy potd ted.

17. bigSarge said, on November 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Flav, thanks for that spring training count down. Today is a great Sunday to work on the car, clean up the house a little, maybe head to the beach. No baseball and no Niners. This is going to be a relatively boring off season for the G’s. Sit back and enjoy football and basketball flappers.

18. eddacker415 said, on November 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm

It hit me hard, too. Watching the series and one of the teams winning was my team. Wow.
    Being able to follow the season with ALL of you on this blog made me feel a part of the SF fandom. Not many people here in real UK life even know baseball exists, much less that the team I have given my heart to my entire life has now done it all. Wow.

I always imagine a group of us sitting around a pub or living room or at the ballpark and then I could get to converse game by game. Here on the blog I don’t need to converse so much, you guys say it all and I love listening.
    I have been the last post many times and the first post only once when I was off work in an afternoon. In between is meat to my ears.

I was invited to a fantasy team in 1991 but didn’t join. FB has changed much since then, but still not my thing. And although I was a math major in college I have avoided the statistical things about this game (that part has changed; stats are fun now). I am, however, a great fan of the game, the players, coaches, ball bounces, intangibles and garlic fries.

When I tell someone I am a SF Giants fan all the way, I no longer have to think _blush_ yeah, I know. Now I can truly, with chest puffed out, say it knowing MY team has done it all. They always had greatness. Now they have it more.

19. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I’m pretty spent and lacking enthusiasm for the other sports,even the Warrior’s fine start. Maybe I need to marry again 😉
    Bea would do it but it would be a convenience thing. Her husband died of cancer and I think she does not need the remembrances…alas, Zeke and Mickey are my mates now… Zeke is staring at me now, he knows it’s close to stick time…

20. zumarust said, on November 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Today’s Chronicle is full of Giants-mania. I dig those orange pages. And it was cool that they included a reprint of Tuesday’s Giants stuff. I wasn’t able to get that on Tuesday.

21. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm

i broke down and bought a chron every day for the last few weeks of the PS. After we won the WS i went through them all, as well as all the NY Times papers I get, and clipped out all the best headlines and pictures. Then i pinned them all up on one wall in my office at work. I didn’t expect that it would look as cool as it does. The Chron today will help me completely cover the wall on Mon (it’s almost covered now).

22. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’m not much for memorabilia, souvenirs, auographs,and such. I haven’t even read much of the coverage of the PS. It’s in my head. Somewhere. I’ll look later..

23. zumarust said, on November 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm

That photo of Timmy being held aloft, with Timmy proclaiming the Giants #1, really brings to full circle all he’s accomplished with the Giants. From the get-go, in addition to his pitching talent, Timmy brought fire and enthusiasm to the Giants dugout. After the drag of the last few years of the Bonds era, it was all a breath of fresh air. Timmy leading the Giants to World Series glory in just a few years seemed beyond reality. But it really happened. Like Clark catching that ball at the back of the endzone. It really happened.

24. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 5:07 pm

couldn’t agree more, ZOOM>>>> the timmy photo, with him perched above the crowd, hair flying, jaw set in stone, with the #1 sign pointed skyward– that was his time and the moment couldn’t have been prettier. I don’t subscribe to SI, is this week’s issue out yet? That should be the pic on the cover…..

25. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm

“It was a pretty long drought between Bay Area championships, but we are very blessed in that regard in this area.” I think about that and I feel we are even more blessed because our teams are but part of the fabric. The 2010 Giants resonate so because we’ve seen them as men and they’ve welcomed the intrusion. We’ve all touched on this in our own way but I think we feel the same: that these players genuinely came to love each other to become a sum far greater than any part. Edgar’s HR was aided by 52 years of heartbreak and a tail wind from Pat Burrell…

26. xootsuit said, on November 7, 2010 at 6:05 pm

That image of the entire team lifting Lincecum high (pardon the phrase) sums it up perfectly for me. Would anyone have believed this year if he hadn’t won those two CYs first? Would Cain have turned into the second ace? They knew they could do it. Somehow they knew. And we sort of thought so, too, after ST, and then it grew into something absolutely magnificent.

27. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Twin, I never click on gravatar images, but I just clicked on yours (Katie’s grandpa wanted me to show him what a blog was) and that picture of you holding up that newspaper is classic.

28. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

and I wasn’t kidding, I NEVER click on them. too small looking. But now that I’ve clicked on a few it’s nice to see what some of you all look like, lol.

29. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 6:15 pm

currently my favorite might be Bozo’s…

30. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm

As you can see, I’m getting round in the face again, kinda moon-like.

31. dirtnrocksnrneno said, on November 7, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I picked up SI for the first time in years yesterday. It will make for some good reading on the way to DC tomorrow. Wilson and Posey about to embrace on the mound made the cover. There are some great pics of Renteria going deep at SF and Franchez flashing leather on the inside.

I am still almost afraid to talk about the clinic that Bochy put on from the start of October and up to the final out. Has a manager ever had such a run? Pulling all the levers and pushing all of the buttons just right and having practically every move work out.

My family has been in SF for a while and nobody quite believes it. Got a call from the old man last night. I think he’s still in denial too. Getting him to talk is sort of like pulling teeth but he calls me out of nowhere and goes into this story about his childhood. His father was an SFPD motorcycle cop back in the late forties and was killed in the line of duty. After he passed a lot of family members sort of took my dad under their wing and made sure he wasn’t missing out. He told me about hitting old Seals stadium with his Uncle taking in an SF/Stl game and catching a foul ball. It was a great conversation and I thank the 2010 SF Giants for making it happen.

32. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 7:08 pm

a 2nd POTD nominee, on a rainy Sunday night. Well done, Dirt and thanks for sharing that story……

33. sj_news_reader said, on November 7, 2010 at 7:51 pm

if TF is ok with it, I’ll be around for a bit. This last season of the giants was fantastic. I spent most of the day cleaning and burning my NLCS games to DVD. I have to watch them as I burn them, so that was about 12 hours of Giants stomping on the phillies I got to relive. Hopefully I can get a couple WS games burned this week but I’ll have to miss jeopardy and wheel of fortune.

34. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm

You don’t need my permission, SJ. Post away.

35. Flavor said, on November 7, 2010 at 8:06 pm

there are a lot of guys who stopped posting here—either I banned them or they just got sick of the *ouchy moments* and bailed. To each his own. But as long as you post here to talk baseball and not just to irritate or disrupt, everyone is welcome……..

36. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 8:50 pm

xootsuit
    8:44 PM on November 7, 2010

Sealsman is right. tf/crabber’s personal bs nearly ruins the flap. But I don’t think Seal got banished from the blog. I think tf simply cut him out of one of the “contests.” wtf cares? Post way, Seal.

• xootsuit said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm

why is that newsworthy, fuckwad? Are comments on other blogs now bases for banishment here? Talk to your MDs about some better meds.

37. Craig said, on November 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm

He didn’t get banned, he bailed on his own. There are about 15 guys I’ve banned. Seal banned himself.

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I’m not a good letting-goer, so I hold on, knowing that, as FerretHead said, the team photo after the parade was really the end of Giants 2010. Allow me my psychotic fugues and fugues by J.S. Bach and tearful rejoicings. Allow me that. Humor me. (Or humour me, as the folks in Eddddacker Land spell it.) To quote Bob Dylan, “Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.” (Cue up The Byrds’ version.) Best to all you Flappers, as well as MagnusFlavorus, Flappero Supremo, now and always and all ways. Amen.

39. CaptainAWS said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:03 pm

FINALLY I find out where everyone went….TF tried getting me over here a while back. In any case, I figure we can celebrate the WHOLE DAMN WINTER LONG! Finally did it! I took my 7 and 4 year old bowling the day after, and after a missed spare, my 7 year old comes back and says, “But the important thing is….THE GIANTS WON THE WORLD SERIES!” I no longer feel the smallest shred of guilt for raising him a Giants fan in Japan….

40. Craig said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm

“flappero supremo”… I might drop that on some chick at rob’s bar and see how far that gets me. “what’s your name?” “I’m flappero supremo, baby.” this has promise….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Whatever the feck works, Magnus. Magnus itself is a cool Beit name, Magnus Pym being one of my fave John Le Carre characters. All right, here is some major namedropping: four years ago I got to ask Le Carre, live on feckin BBC radio a question. They arranged to call my office [when I was working for others not myself]. I’ll look for the link. It’s still on the BBC website.

41. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Scene. Saturday afternoon [great song by Jefferson Airplane, by the way]. Syracuse, NY. Young fella, 20s, comes down escalator in mall with Giants hat. SF Giants hat, not ubiquitous NY Yankees hat or some such. A very rare find here. I engage him in conversation. Juan. From Daly City. Living in Virginia. Archaeologist working at Onondaga Lake. We talk the whole Series up. He knows his stuff. We are both animated. My wife emerges from nearby Starbucks. He’s at it again, she figures. I proselytize for The Flap. I am an evangelist for the Improbable. The God of Surprises triumphs. Jack Kerouac smiles.

42. Craig said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Capt: ” executioner of the night— temptress of the morning sun”— what’s up my man— dude always posts first thing in the am and then…..gone till tomorrow am. Belated welcome to you. It’s a sweet time for us. Glad you finally check out the blog. All right guys, I’m out

43. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Nice to finally see you here, Cap’n..

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Pawl [not quite Kokonuts] on BBC radio, December 2006:

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Late EDT. Ooooops. EST. Which immediately makes me more tired. G’night, all.

46. twinfan said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Goodnight, Pawlie. And all.

47. TedSpe said, on November 7, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)