A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Retro Set Up Guys

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 12, 2010

Here’s a list of only three of them. Who was your *most memorable*? I realize that the word “memorable” is open to interpretation but that’s the way I like it and it ensures that we will learn absolutely nothing from the results of these polls. 🙂

As a side note, I really appreciated the posts last night. Fun read. And Ted, to answer your comment about those who post vs those who lurk: it’s a little tougher to analyze wordpress.com’s stats- google analytics was MUCH better. During the season, on average, we get about 2000 hits a day here at the Flap (though we have hit much higher on certain days)–those are just IP address counts each time someone *hits* a page here. Obviously, we have some repeat customers who come here several times a day. At the old blog, they would just count *unique visitors*– meaning they  ONLY counted the individual IP address a day—no repeats. We were at about 500 unique visitors a day at blogger.com. WordPress won’t give me the unique visitor stat but they said at the end of the season  it was  “in the neighborhood” of 500 a day here (although we are at about half the traffic now as opposed to the end of the season—instead of 2k hits a day we are at about 800-1000 now). About 20% of the people that come to my blog actually post something. For the math whizzes out there, that leaves….um…carry the 2…..hmmmm…80% of the traffic are lurkers. So careful what you post…..they are watching 🙂

1. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:45 am

I went with Al, although all 3 were memorable. “Mr. T” just had the demeanor, didn’t he?..
    Huge sleep issues these days and nights, getting me down. Nothing to do about it until we see if the steroid can be weaned again after the MRI EOM… as Craig said: some sweet posts yesterday, as always really. I woke a few minutes ago with a runner on base, unfinished business.. it was Travis. Somebody drive him in or the season isn’t over, OK? Get with it, guys….

2. bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

I went with Jack. 1993 was just a great fucking team. Jackson was in 81 games, went 2-3 (2 doubles) and wore #42. I was really pissed when we traded Mitch to Seattle, but getting Swifty Bill, Burba and Jack, well I got over it.

• JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:40 am

Lol. One of the great trades in Giants history. I think the M’s are still kicking themselves over that one. ’93 really was a great season (and one of the most disappointing). I made it down for two of three games against the Marlins, in August I think, and Robbie Thompson hit a dramatic game winning homer off Brian Harvey in one of the games.

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:59 am

Bat, I was in Atlanta for the series in late August (before Labor day weekend for sure) for work and got to go to two of the games (the Atlanta office people were pissed because the games were sold out). Had on-field seats when John Patterson hit a game winner. I know it didn’t end right, but to go from 72-90 in 1992 to winning 103 in 93, it was a fucking wild ride well worth the ticket.

• JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:18 am

Bozo, I distinctly remember that Patterson game. I think he hit off Mark Wohlers, and that was the G’s only win of that series. I love that team too. They were dominant.

3. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:10 am

So Craig and I are the early birds. Zeke starts looking at me for a stick toss as soon as I’m considered functional: eyes open is his criteria….
    Several projects today: Ted’s drive goes out, a virus cleaning for one of the regular dummies ( some folks just let the fucking PC load up with it, then bring it over every month or so)… building a second unit for my Louisiana guy, also another HTPC just to have on hand for sale. So I’ll be busy. And hopefully: awake…
    I tihnk 2011 will be pretty cool on both sides of the Bay, Beane is giving signs that they will compete. That’s a good group of young arms. I could definitely see them in the PS. Quite a few experts seem to think Manny might land there…

4. xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:13 am

Most memorable? Good question. Memory is really tricky. I remember Mike Jackson pretty clearly. He looked kind. I’m not kidding. He looked like an intelligent young clergyman. He also pitched well. Holland was a tough guy, with a tough-guy demeanor, but maybe not tough enough in 82. By contrast, I cannot remember what Lefferts looked like, at all — I have no visual recollection of him, yet he’s my guy, because I do remember what he did. As soon as I saw his name I thought of those great Roger Craig teams.

5. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:23 am

Didn’t see your post, Bozo-Good morning. And to Xoot, as well. It was a tough call- Mike was the quintessential 8th inning guy-gas gas gas. A guy who was one of the best was LaTroy Hawkins when with the Twins. Weird career: terrible starter, blew closing, dominant set up guy. He and Eddie G. were a tough pair for a couple-three years… interesting they dumped both when they picked up Nathan…
    Didn’t Lefferts do his mad dash to the mound at one of the reunions this year? Or last? I seem to remember that. And he was uh, BIG…

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:34 am

Thanks twin. Yes for remembering the drive but also for answering a question I was just about to ask. Which was “Wasn’t Lefferts the guy who used to sprint out of the pen?”. I couldn’t remember if it was him or Garrelts.
      So Flav’s right. Memorable is up for interpretation

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

Morning Twin and all. Yeah Lefferts dash on the field used to drive me nuts , I used to think – save it for the game big guy. That trade with the Pads really worked out in our favor. Mitch, Dravecky and Lefferts for Brown, Mark Davis and Keith Comstock. Willie Mays was the greatest I ever saw (would have loved to see him when he was younger) but Mitch is still my all time favorite Giant, so I’ve gotta link Lefferts with that trade.

6. willied said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:31 am

Yeah, I remember Lefferts trying to duplicate that…probably hyperventilated out there. Jackson was tough, I love guys like that. The Reds had all those monsters out of the pen that threw really hard, and had that killer slider to go with it. I remember going to watch the Cubs, and they had another guy who was even bigger than Lee Smith (but not near as good).

It was interesting to read the Fangraphs column on “don’t blame Ryan Howard” after Wilson ended his season, and all the comments along with it. As one guy put it, basically Howard knew he couldn’t hit that last pitch anyway.

7. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:38 am

Howard was/is easily fooled. Hamilton, though? I really expected he’d be a huge force in the series.

8. TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:47 am

Days left for pitchers and catchers. Windows 95.
    Veddy clever, Mr. Flav. Veddy clever indeed.
    Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean. He’s fired rockets at the Moon, split the atom, achieved miracles in every field of human endeavor… except coming up with a cheeky little image for a countdown every day for a 100 day countdown.
    We shall see, Mr. Flav. We shall see. Oddjob? My cane.

9. JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

SanDog, your 5:35 post yesterday was excellent and really struck a chord with me. Following the Giants in the 70’s was tough because they had a lot of tough years. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I definitely had an inferiority complex when it came to the Dodgers for all the reasons you listed. A lot of old debts were settled on November 1st.

Craig, your 7:07 post was awesome, and thank you again for this blog. I’m just trying to fit in around here. I get the feeling sometimes you guys all know each other and I’m like the redheaded stepchild, but regardless, I look forward to coming here every day and interacting with the only people I “know” who are as crazy fanatical about the Giants as I am. Thanks for that. The WS win was that much sweeter because of it.

10. JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:07 am

I voted Lefferts, if only for the way he came in from the bullpen, the way he battled and the way the tag from his cap hung out the back. He didn’t give a shit, he just wanted to pitch.

11. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

Dodger 2011 motto: “We have Gibbons!”

12. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:42 am

Shoot, I’m ready for bed again. I’ll try to get Ishi in from second base. UPS will wake me later…

13. JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

Thinking more about Jackson, I remember he always had a huge chaw in his lip and that filthy slider. Good pitcher. I got to see him pitch for the Mariners also.

14. bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:52 am

So is it 95 more days before I can start saying, your Defending World Champion San Francisco Giants or do I have to wait until opening day?

• xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

I’m contemplating how great it will sound to hear Your World Champion San Francisco Giants! introduced at China Basin on opening day. Chicken skin time, for sure. Bet it’ll be worth the big price of the ticket couple of times over.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

say it NOW, shout it out! Bask it! Bask it catch!

15. xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:58 am

Few cups of coffee and some music in the car got my memory going a bit. The only games I went to in 87 were before Lefferts came to the team. Late in the season I started my three-year stint in what they call a professional school. I don’t recommend it to anyone who really needs a well-rounded life. Very odd co-ed Parchman Farm sort of thing. Anyway, I got my baseball mainly from the box scores during those years. No wonder I don’t remember what Lefferts looked like.

16. stixwiz said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:03 am

Hi all. Still basking. Bit of lurking. Voted for Jackson. He was almost as sure as death and taxes. Steady below freezing conditions begin here in the Northwoods in six days. Another name for that state of things is “winter”. Still have water in my dirt cellar and need to pump it out before the freezeup as there is a plethora of root veggies needing storage there. So i better get at it while continuing to bask in the glory of the Black and Orange October where the Halloween Machine went juggernaut.

17. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:10 am

Carstie: haven’t heard, did you get the issues with the PC resolved?

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:16 am

Great stuff here yesterday; just getting to the posts from yesterday. I commented on some of yesterday’s posts, because, well, just because I am honor-bound to chime in [though it may be too late for anyone to read them; no matter]. Unlike Magnus, I find that baseball keeps me UP [at night, that is; has nothing to do with the Salt Oven]. I’ve said it before, and mean it: the Flap’s sense of — no, reality of — community [shared angst, pain, and finally joy] is powerful and affirming. And thanks once again, MagnusFlavorus, for starting it, maintaining it, and keeping it going.

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:22 am

Basking muthafuckin basking. [Although I claim no proprietary nature of the word “basking,” I think I’ve basked in that basking word as if I basked in the basking copyright basking trademark. Gladly.] Man, I have really found it hard to get back to normal life: office is a mess, things scattered, spend too much time basking. Can’t help it. Last night read the SI cover story by Verducci. Average. Not much new. BUT it really exonerates Sabean & Tidrow and Company in their approach on drafting pitchers and how they develop them. Says: they want the pitchers to throw mostly fastballs in the minors, no more than 100 pitches, learn the other pitches later. Cain reports how the Giants scouts are stealthy. Giants were one of three teams that Bumgarner did NOT get a visit from. But SF wanted him. Poker. And Sabean apologized to Toronto GM about potential Lincecum-Rios trade. Sabes said it was never a real thought.

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:18 am

You know Pawlie, if you switched the word bask to fuck, you could do some ghost writing for JP Donleavy.

20. Big Flavor said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:25 am

Lefferts absolutely was the guy who sprinted in from the bullpen. I’m surprised there isn’t greater clarity from you guys on that scene. That was HIS THING. Plus, it was kinda hilarious just as an isolated moment in time…..

• twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:36 am

I was only not clear on wherther he did it at the reunion.Never any question at al that he did it when he was called in.

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:19 am

What I hated was when they took the ball from him after a bad outing, he would sprint back to the dugout.

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:26 am

True story, unrelated to baseball: my friend, a guy from the Bronx living in Dallas, had an eye infection from swimming. Calls doctor.
    I have an eye infection. Can I see the doctor?
    Receptionist: Take artificial tears.
    Friend: What do I wanna do that for? I’m married. I cry every night at 7 o’clock.
    No laugh from receptionist.

Had to throw that in ’cause yesterday was my anniversary. How come my wife didn’t laugh when I recounted that story and I thought it was so hilarious?

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:08 am

Woman’s got no sense of humor, that’s all

• ewisco said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:51 pm

flew into sf from the east coast, arriving 12:30 am local (3:30 am for us). twins about 1 yr old. i told wife i would get rental car while she waited for bags and watched boys. realizing that she had rented car and probably used her name (different than mine but usually no biggie) i used courtesy phone to call car company and see if they would give car to me. they asked if i had any proof that i was married to her, like marriage certificate (yeah, everyone travels with those right?). I thought for a second and said, “just the scars”. he said come on down, he’ll get me the car.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:29 am

In the DEWEY WINS headline department, I saw on a newsstand the copy of Sports Illustrated from the week before the WS edition. In the upper left it say something like this on the cover: “Verducci: Cliff Lee on How the Rangers Will Win.” HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:22 am

Lol

23. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:46 am

Texas wasn’t an off the wall pick by any means. No way anyone figgers Lee to get beat twice.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

I myself was figuring Gm 1 was likely automatic for Lee. O me of meager faith.

24. max808 said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:08 am

Was just reading this from Jayson Stark thought it interesting (and relevant)

“Of Tim Lincecum’s four postseason wins this year, three came against Cy Young winners — one against Roy Halladay, two against Cliff Lee.

So how many other pitchers have ever beaten former Cy Youngs three times in the same postseason? That would be two. And you’d never guess which two:

• Sterling Hitchcock of the 1998 Padres — beat Randy Johnson in the NLDS, then outpitched Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine in the NLCS.

• Livan Hernandez of the 1997 Marlins — won a duel with Maddux in the NLCS, then beat Orel Hershiser twice in the World Series.

Yep. Sterling Hitchcock and Livan Hernandez. Who knew?”

25. Flavor said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:09 am

that’s the fucking game you WENT to. How could you fly all the way across the country, come to the game, stare through a knothole for 4 hours and all the while be thinking, “we’re fucked”….

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

LQTM

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:56 am

Clarifi-fucking-cation: My doomer, Calvinist, Catholic-guilt, Lutheran-gloom side, felt, before the game: how could we possibly beat Cliff Lee after he demolished the Yankees? He had looked as if he’d retire a lineup of Ruths, Dimaggios, Williamses, and Otts. However, my ebullient, sunny, youthful, get-on-a-plane-and-go, faithful, loyal Giants fan self cried: Who knows? This is magic! Swing those pinata bats and soar!

26. San Dog said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:31 am

Wow—the voting is tight on this one!

I went with Holland. I remember he threw gas and kinda looked like a rough dude. The other day someone was talking about sitting in those seats where the home relievers warmed up at Candlestick. I can remember sitting there with my dad one time while, ironically, Holland and Whitson were getting some throwing in. They were both interacting with fans, flirting with girls, not really paying attention to the game. I remember my dad being a bit bothered by their act, but I was enjoying seeing ballplayers that close—which was a rare treat. I also remember Holland for that unique step-off-snap-throw pick-off move he used to have. I seem to remember him throwing a couple down the right field line using that technique.
    I had been in SD for a couple of years when Lefferts came over and I knew the Giants were getting a good lefty who competed hard.
    I hated the Mitch trade as well, but it sure worked out nicely and Jackson was an absolute workhorse. It felt like he pitched every day. Good call on the ever-present dip in his lip.
    Pawlie-I’m flattered you dug the iceplant story.
    JBat-We’ve come a long way, baby—-it’s a beautiful thing.

• JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

Amen to that.

I remember talking up Mitchell to M’s fans here after the trade, and he never really did anything and he was playing in a pure hitters ballpark (9 homers at the Kingdome?! – ugh). I had seen Swift pitch a lot here, so I confess to being excited when the Giants got him. When he was healthy he had electric stuff. Great sinker.

• JBat said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:37 am

Guy was a solid workhorse reliever for the Giants.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

Magnus, I felt compelled to Reply to your Reply to my Comment to your Post. Amen! Can I get a witness?!

• Craig said, on November 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Noted!

28. zumarust said, on November 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

A pivotal moment in that ’93 season was late in the season, when Clark booted a hard-hit short hop grounder, and he went over to get the ball, and then raced to the bag, forgetting to signal to Jackson not to cover. They collided at the bag, and Jackson was out for a few weeks, with a sprained knee, and Brantley had to take Jackson’s spot in the pecking order of relievers. It wasn’t quite the same, and probably cost the Giants a couple of games, which is the kind of thing that made the difference that year.
    Of course, by far, the biggest difference-maker was the Braves getting McGriff from the Padres. I remember the day the Braves got McGriff. The Giants had a 7 or 8 game lead in the division. The Braves stadium had CAUGHT ON FIRE earlier that day. It seemed like all the mojo was going the Giants’ way. And then the Braves got McGriff and he carried their team on offense for the last couple of months or so.
    Man, what a division race. Both teams seemed to always win on the same day, and only rarely lost. I had just moved into an apartment in a new city, and hardly had a stick of furniture. I did have a little TV set, and a cable hook-up, and those Giants games kept me company. Every game was huge.
    It’s amazing how finally winning the World Series re-invents all those other seasons. Now, I can enjoy the memories of that ’93 season more.

29. zumarust said, on November 12, 2010 at 12:16 pm

As for the ’89 team, I like that team a lot, but it’s probably pretty tough to win a championship with Rick Reuschel as your ace.
    Bo Jackson crushed a Reuschel pitch in the All-Star game. That’s actually one of the few memories I have of Reuschel.
    I was at a game he pitched. The Giants won. The Giants won the division by several games that year. It’s nice to win the division with a big lead. No drama.
    But…..there’s also something to be said about having to battle to the end, as far as getting you ready for the playoffs. This year’s Giants team was in playoff-mode all throughout September, and just kept that intensity, focus, and drive on into the playoffs.

30. TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm

One my memories of 1989 was a 6 person debate on how to pronounce Reuschel

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm

My biggest memory of 89 is when they picked up the bases in game 3, my buddy and I looked at each other and said, can’t play the game without bases, yeah let’s get out of here before the stadium fall.

31. alleykat said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I always liked Jackson’s demeanor on the mound.Cap pushed down low,menacing glare,devasting slider, gonna kick your ass attitude.He was a perfect setup man for the Shooter.

Another unsung pitcher for the Giants,back in 1971 was Jerry Johnson.Giants picked him up in mid 1970 from St Louis after he bounced around 3 organizations.I think he shocked everyone by going 12-9 2.97 ERA in 67 games and a club leading 18 saves to help the Giants capture the pennant.No way they win the pennant without his stellar year.

32. San Dog said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Amen Zumie to finally enjoying the ’93 season more. The last year before the wild card and we win 103 games and don’t make the playoffs. Are you freaking kidding me? The Rockies went 0-18 against the Braves that year and I’ve hated them for it ever since. …and the killer on the McGriff trade is that the Braves hardly had to give up anything to get him. Melvin Nieves and a throw in or two. If memory serves, we then didn’t even make the playoffs the next year with the wild card option. Yikes.

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Dog – I think that’s what pushed the wild card trough the voting.

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm

through

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Pushed the voting through the trough?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm

yes, that began my non-love affair with the feckless Rockies

33. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

We’ve all addressed it but perhaps the real PS MVP was Mr. Bochy. He schooled every other manager.. he was like a man who finally had his full palette… and knew what to do with it…. When his day comes, Bruce Bochy will have one of the contented retirements ever.

34. San Dog said, on November 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I’m not sure I have this 1993 thing out of my system yet. I mean, we win 103 games and don’t make the PS. Then the Braves leave our division and they add the wild card, and I take solace in knowing we’ll for sure make the playoffs in ’94, but again we end up on the outside with our noses smashed up against the fucking window!
    That ’93 team could mash though. Robby T had a big year and I seem to remember even Manwaring raking a bit.
    Yeah Twin, Bochy was huge and I’m stoked for him. He never made it big as a player and has been dealt some tough hands as a manager. Obviously, he’s had a nice career, but he has to absolutely be on Cloud 9 right now.

• bozo said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Dog MLB had a little strike thing going in 94. There wasn’t any Play-offs

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Ah yes. The strike shortened 1994. The year Matt Williams was supposed to break Roger Maris’ HR record

35. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I’ve always felt badly for Salomon Torres that year. That was a lot to put on a kid. Took him years to work past it. Think he was several years out of ball- then became a real workhorse reliever. Always seemed pretty bitter about it all, though..

36. alleykat said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm

In case none have you have heard this: Royce Clayton is playing Miguel Tejada in the Moneyball movie.I find this hilarious.Especially since Clayton isn’t even Latin-American.I guess this must not be a speaking role.

• xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Hell, Rob’t Downey Jr. could play the part.

• delmardennis said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Philip Seymour Hoffman is going to play Art Howe. From Truman Capote to Art Howe.
      Now there’s a guy with some range.

• xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Howe has advanced black belts in karate doesn’t he? I think Capote liked black belts with black shoes.

37. Rough Trade said, on November 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I’d agree about Bochy. He’s not one to let things eat away at him.
    One of his strengths as a mgr was reigning in his emotions, especially after tough losses. He always kept a level perspective and I think rubbed off on the players. People bitched because he didn’t go argue calls more strenuously, but, in the end, it was his cool that paid off.

38. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm

There was never any substance to Botchy bashing. It was all cosmetic. Daddy haters,the head, the thick voice…

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Daddy haters?

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm

These folks are just making oedipus wrecks of themselves

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Bochy haters are in mourning

39. alleykat said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Giants activate Mark DeRosa from the 60 day DL.

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Just in the nick of time

40. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm

if he’s healthy, let the jigsaw puzzle begin…which is, happy to report, the Giants Way [via Maxima]

41. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Didn’t both MDR and Rent have HRs on Opening Day? I remember how energetic DeRosa was — and felt good about the season, in that exaggerated opening dayish way

• alleykat said, on November 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Pawlie, No homer for Edgar on opening day.But Yes on MDR, and i was the first flapper to call him hitting the first homer of the season.

42. alleykat said, on November 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Speaking of Bochy’s head,this from SI Franz Lidz back in 2006:

Iv’e never met a bigger head case then Bruce Bochy,the Padres manager.But just because Bochy,has the biggest,if not necessarily the thickest,skull in the Big Leagues doesn’t mean his ego is swollen.Buckethead,as he is known,is an amiable good natured fellow who just happens to wear a size 8-plus cap,a half dozen sizes larger then the average 7 3/8.His noggin is more than two feet around,and an inch or so smaller then your average Halloween pumpkin.Indeed the main difference between a pumpkin and Bochy’s head is that nobody has ever tried to make the latter into a pie.

Bochy first realized his melon was larger then most in High School,when he had to custom order his caps.One day,while out fishing,his buddy landed a big one: Bochy.The multi-barbed hook had pierced Bochy’s cap and embedded in his scalp.In the emergency room,a doctor,told him he would have to cut the hat off his head.

“You can’t destroy my hat! protested Bochy,It’s the only one I’ve got.”
    Bochy’s even jokes about his head,”When I played,they’d have accused me of steroids as big as my head is.”

43. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Well, I did exactly zero percent of what I said I’d do today. Oh, except I did send Ted his drive…other than that, I laid about. Poor Zeke. No stick today.

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Thanks, twin. But sheesh. Now I feel guilty about Zeke

• twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:11 pm

He gets even by bogarting the bed later.

44. xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I think the Giants players generally have pretty healthy relationships with their hierarchical father figures. Remember how this year started (in Jan.)? Great pic:

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I completely forgot Bowtie was there… Kind of sweet

45. xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm

He’s at home there. Looks like the interior of the courtroom, with Lincecum entering through the door on the left (viewed from inside). It’s traditional to lock the right-hand door leading out of the courtroom. Bailiffs will tell you that’s because fleeing defendants always try to push open the door on the right.

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Well, all I know is, when George Raft was the fleeing defendant escaping the courtroom in EACH DAWN I DIE, he jumped out the window to the left

46. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Wasn’t there sometihng like that in “Z”?

47. xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Don’t recall. I’m waiting for a pun on “rights” denied or something.

48. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Punsters are probably all having dinner now. I’m sure someone will be right along soon.

49. TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I’m here. But I got nothing. I’m going home

50. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Some ink I just got over at The Washington Post (and it is sports-related), for their humor [humour, for Edddd] contest:

51. twinfan said, on November 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I ended up on how cats drink without getting wet.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:04 pm

really? hmmm (and I’m not a fan of cats); I’ll check the link

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I like cats.
        They’re…they got a “Fuck you! I don’t give a fuck!” Attitude I admire

52. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm

seemed to work okay for me; anyway, it’s Week 894, The Style Invitational, Washington Post

• delmardennis said, on November 12, 2010 at 7:24 pm

What kind of Foal (Giant) am I?

Whitey X Cain = NOt Able

• xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

The Mohels. That was funny.

53. TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Cats drink without getting wet?

54. Flavor said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I’m still haunted by “The Salt Oven” disclosure…….

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Fuck, who ain’t??!!
      I’ve got a date tomorrow and that shit’s haunting me

• xootsuit said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Just focus on the “oven.” Maybe think of that character in Body Heat, Matty, whose temperature was a couple of degrees warmer than most women.

55. TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Flav, Flav, Flav
    Tomorrow’s 94 days.
    94 days.
    Let’s see what your brilliant, evil, scary little mind comes up with for a…94 day icon.
    It’s a crime how much we Flappers take you for granted
    MMMWWOOooooooohahahahahahahahahahahahah

56. Flavor said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm

94 is easy. I’ll let you perseverate on that one all night, at least until tomorrow’s big date with the Salt Oven Owner. Hint: he does not play baseball yet he does wear a uniform. Hmmmm…..collective flapper minds are blown in unison……

57. Flavor said, on November 12, 2010 at 9:14 pm

and fuck you Jackson/Lefferts apologists. It’s Al Holland all the way……

• TedSpe said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm

You’re an evil, evil man Flav

58. mrmrbill said, on November 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm

anybody sorry that the Taiwan season opener trip isn’t happening? I wasn’t crazy about the terms. It could be viable under other conditions, and from a business standpoint it would be smarter marketing to do it with an “all celebrity” team, a.k.a the All-Star break. Remember that when this deal was hatched, the Giants weren’t certain to do anything special this year, and the D-Backs were even less well-off. Pad the AS break with a couple extra rest/travel days on either end … (*if* need be), then give them a game that doesn’t mess with the season standings, and shows them featured star players.

59. JBat said, on November 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I voted Quis. I remember he was on the team, but it’s very vague.