A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Halladay Shmalladay……..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 17, 2010

So ‘Doctober ‘ won the NL CY unanimously? Wow. Sorry, I’m underwhelmed. We beat him two out of three times last year. If every team had done that he’d be Barry Zito……

I know that wins aren’t the best way to assess the value of a pitcher, but Brian Wilson saved 48 games and Roy Oswalt was a .500 pitcher in 2010 and yet Oswalt finishes 6th in the CY vote, Wilson 7th. Whatever…….

Room B has made an inglorious return to The Flap. If you’ve never been to Room B it’s a lot like this (or so it’s been told to me by those who have managed to escape):

I had to put up a few new roadblocks in our filter system last night. If you go to spam and you aren’t supposed to be there, it’ll get sorted out as the new filter system goes into place………

1. Giant Head said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:11 am

Uggla went for very little…we could have had him if Sabean wanted.

I think Burrell will then be back even if he starts only 50% of the time…

2. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:25 am

I like the headline for your post: “Halladay Shmalladay.” It’s so New Yawk, almost Yiddish, as in: “One bagel with a schmear, to go.” Yo. (Well, the “yo” might be more Philly. Philly: we beat you, in your yard.) AND WE ARE THE REIGNING BASEBALL CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD and beyond! It is raining champions. I’m singing in the reign!

3. twinfan said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:46 am

I forgot to even put Pat on the ballot.. I just don’t see a gig for him here. Maybe a “Three-Way”… he, Huff, and Belt. Pat plays left against Southpaws with Huff at first. Belt gets first, Huff LF against RHers… but I really think he’ll get a better offer than Sabes will put out…
    No problem with Doc getting it. The AL? I’m a “peripherals” guy but 13 wins? Just not enough when there’s a 20…

4. Giant Head said, on November 17, 2010 at 8:15 am

I could see that scenario Twin. Excited about Belt, but I could see him being the mid-season call-up that and maybe Belt just takes over for Burrell then.

Since Atlanta traded for Uggla, they will be off Burrell. Not sure who else in the NL would bother with Burrell and he is certainly never going back to the AL.

The baseball writers like to prove they are smarter than anyone else, so I fully expect King Felix will get the AL Cy Young….I have no problem with it. Posey getting ROY abolbves the writers for the rest of their picks…

I still like an OF of Torres-BJ Upton-Cody Ross…

5. TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 10:40 am

In Oswalt’s defense (why not), he was a ilttle weak at the beginning of the season but had a big turnaround when he joined Philly. And his overall era and whip *was* impressive.
    That being said…fuck him

6. bozo said, on November 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

I’m still thinking the Giants will offer Pat and Rent both bench roles. Don’t know if they’ll go for it. I am interested how the Giants handle Nate and Ishi this year (not sure who else is out of options). Those two guys may become next year’s SS (trade wise), depending on Uribe.

7. Unca Chuck said, on November 17, 2010 at 11:48 am

Shit, 48 saves got Shooter 0 votes back in 1993.

Didn’t expect much love for BW anyway.

• TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 11:52 am

Yeah, Loo pointed that out before but I knew WIlson was going to get at least *some* love.

8. TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

As expected, Bud Black and Ron Gardenhire were voted Managers of the Year. Maybe. Too bad they don’t have a PS Manager of the Year. Bochy. Unanimously.

• delmardennis said, on November 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I think it was very close in the NL. Bud over Dusty by one pt.

9. delmardennis said, on November 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm

From Baggs: The Giants added SS Ehire Adrianza and OF Thomas Neal to the 40-man roster. No surprise there. They’ve still got four spaces open.

And my Room B comments are still going to spam I imagine. Anyone else having this trouble?

• TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Not me

10. alleykat said, on November 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Japanese infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka who won the Pacific League bating title last season,has been posted, the Chiba Lotte Marines announced Wed.

ML teams have 4 business days to bid on the right to negotiate with the 2B/SS.An announcement of the team winning the rights could come Monday.

Nishioka 26, has said he prefers to play on the West Coast,and the Bums and Giants were thought to be early favorites for his services.

Let’s get “THE NISH”. Need to fill that SS position,with youth and speed.

Plus SNL sketch potentials:
    Nishioko Pudding commercial
    The Tsuyoshi Orman Show
    Make a Nish Foundation

11. twinfan said, on November 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

You’re a pretty funny guy for a doomer, Kat… looks like we might have some ties on the contest. Tie Breaker wil be how much money Uribe gets first year of his new deal wherever it is. Don’t just round it: do like 6.3 or 7.1..

12. delmardennis said, on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm

A’s set to send Rajai to the Jays. Maybe Jack Cust can get some wheels to replace those 50 stolen bags.

13. TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Something else that hasn’t been mentioned about the CY. Instead of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place votes, they also had a 4th and 5th place this year. And Matt Cain got 1 5th place vote. So he actually came in 13th. A small matter but think, 3 pitchers from 1 team, in this case the Giants, received votes. Not unheard of, but rare.

14. xootsuit said, on November 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

A’s also apparently have offered ABeltre a $64MM/5 yr deal. guess they figure he’ll be tradeable in July.

15. twinfan said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Beane could be serious this year. They’re vowing to hold onto the young arms, MannyTalk abounds, DeJesus is a solid player, now the Beltre offer…I’ve got no problem with both squads competing into the PS…

• alleykat said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Yeah i think Beane,took a good gut punch with the Giants success,and just needs to add some pieces now.And when they lock down that pitcher Iwakuma,that staff will be one of the best in baseball with Gonzalez Anderson Cahill and Braden.

16. alleykat said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Speaking of the Oakland A’s…The city of Oakland has selected a waterfront site in the Jack London Square area for a new ballpark.The so-called Victory Court is near the Lake Merritt Channel,along the Oakland Estuary.It’s also the favored site of Mayor elect Jean Quan.”I think it’s the best site,Quan said.’It could really kick start the area.”

I know i might be in the minority especially with my Giants Roots,but i really hope this happens.JLS would be a cool place for a Ballpark.

• ewisco said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I totally agree. JLS would have a backdrop of SF and water and the bay bridge. it’s too bad the aircraft carriers aren’t sailing in periodically.

SJ wouldn’t suck in that the weather’s great but still, a waterside park?

the big question is public transportation.

17. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I think DeJesus is just another no-power OF that Beane’s is obsessed with for some reason. Mazzaro is a hell of an arm, I’m surprised all they fetched was DeJesus. And Beltre? He’ll be ok for a year or two I guess. But he built up all his 2010 stats in that weird ass park in Boston— guys almost never have a big year there and then go on to another park and repeat it (see: Jason Bay).
    I too have no problem with the A’s making it back to the playoffs. We have a WS to avenge……

18. twinfan said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm

DeJesus sure has taken a lot of shit on the Flap. Not sexy numbers, just a guy with a .350 plus OBP every fucking year. He’s a good player who will help them..

19. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm

not sure if you guys check out Pawlie’s blog, thelaughorist.blogspot.com
    He’s doing a chapter-recount of his trip out to SF that culminated in him watching game 1 through the knothole in RF. As many of you know, we met up there and walked around the perimeter of the ballpark for about a half hour before I went into the game— no agenda, just talking, getting to know eachother, getting our “pre-bask” on. Anyway, it’s been a fun read for me and you might enjoy it to. Check it out……..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Magnus, thanks for the promo.

You must’ve gotten my Walking the Dog ramble. Man, it is cold and nasty windy in the NE, right, Madog, DJLoo, et alia?

• TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Yeah, I’ve been reading

20. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

DeJesus is all right. Of course he’s got a nice OBP, Beane went out and got him. But that team is disgustingly weak in the power dept. Dejesus has little power, little speed. ANd he’s joining about 16 outfielders on the team who have the same skill set (Rajai getting traded today for THAT is a head scratcher, too). I’m not saying DeJesus won’t help them. He probably will. But he’s pretty similar to most of their other outfielders, just more consistent. And Mazzarro should have gotten more. Beane has an EMBARRASSMENT of riches in the minor league pitching dept. If he fritters it all away on guys like DeJesus he’s blowing it big time…….

21. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

twin– got the headset– just tried it out, works great. I’m not really sure what to use the microphone for but the headset is awesome.

22. twinfan said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Wel,you can record yourself with the mike, sing songs, embarrass your ass… that’s what I use ’em for..

• Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

how do I record and save that shit? I wanna do that….

• twinfan said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Go to “All Programs”, “Accessories”, “Sound Recorder”… wail on. You can save it as a Windows Media Audio File..

• Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I will be doing this……..
      I might even upgrade this place so that I can upload audio. I still have the Kruk KNBR call that goes on for a couple of minutes after we WON THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD SERIES that you tv people might have missed……..

23. delmardennis said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Flav, I think all my Room B comments are still going into spam. Anything that I can do on my end?

Spam? I noticed nobody mentioned that as their favorite snack.

24. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Denny–gimmie a min. I’m gonna give you the FerretHead Treatment, that should do the trick

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I saw an Atlanta fan last night and it got me thinking how stunningly hard it is to get in and then win a World Series. Just ask Bobby Cox. so I began to compose a mental list. Chime in, Flapper Nation.

To get in and win a World Series, you need:

1. Talented pitching. (cf. SF Giants 2010).
    2. Managing that is tactical and motivational.
    3. Faith in your abilities. total. Really. Believe it.
    4. Some luck. (That Sunday game w/ ATL was so critical; their 3 errors helped.)
    5. To crest; momentum (though in 2007 it was great for Colorado until they met Boston).
    6. Destiny.
    7. Timing.
    8. The right draw of teams (though I confess being doomerish about Texas; their “game” of running and hustling just never showed up; credit our defense and pitching and drive and hitting).
    9. Mystical alignment of the celestial orbs.
    10. Blessings of the baseball gods and goddesses.
    11. Timely hitting.
    12. An exceptional defensive play or two.
    13. Great fans.

• stixwiz said, on November 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Pawlie: Great analysis. Not that you were in any possible danger, but it should make for an excellent “Get Outta Room B Free” card at least until next year’s bifecta W.S. victory.

26. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Pawlie– I wish I could somehow replay your “walkin’ the dog” voicemail that I got about an hour ago. In fact, I might play around with that and see if I’m capable enough to make that happen

27. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Denny, you should be good to go, check and see if it’s working.

• delmardennis said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:40 pm

All good, Flav. Many thanks.

28. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:50 pm

TWIN– my high is bummed. I did the audio–click–click thing and it looked like it recorded. I saved it to the desktop and I played it and it played but no sound. Advice? Please don’t ask me if I had it on mute….

• TedSpe said, on November 17, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Did you have it on mute?

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Hey, mlb is offering a DVD set of the WS, out in December, all the games, interviews, etc. BUT, it’s apparently FOX GOP’s sucky announcers. Does anyone know if the Giants or KNBR or someone will put out K&K versions?

30. Flavor said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:16 pm

my dad is from the south. Richmond, Virginia.
    Here’s the email content I got from him today:
    “HEY
    what the hell is room B?”

31. zumarust said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Wow- Greg Odin out for the season. You want to see some doomers- how about Trailblazer fans? Portland drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan. And now Odin is out again with a season-ending injury.

32. zumarust said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Listening to a little bit of sports radio on KNBR this morning, SF mayor (and soon to be Lt. Governor) Newsome was telling a story about how, when he was a kid, he got a football autographed by Ken Stabler, but he couldn’t resist playing with the ball, and of course the autograph got wiped out eventually. It reminded me of hearing about the basketball that was used in the game that Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points. No one thought to save the ball. An arena employee took the ball home and gave it to his son. His son proceeded to use the ball for pick-up games at a local park, and completely wore the cover off the ball. The ball eventually disappeared completely.

• ewisco said, on November 17, 2010 at 7:58 pm

a sad fact zum, our balls wear out and disappear completely.

fortunately, it’s not happened yet, though they are showing signs of wear.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Did you know the 24-second clock was invented here in Syracuse, by Danny Biasone, of the Syracuse Nats? (Hey, we go with what we’ve got. I’m not a native.)

• unca_chuck said, on November 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Did the same thing with a 1972 49ers signed football.

That my stupid-ass brother signed as well . . .

• ewisco said, on November 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm

my boys got their gloves signed by jason giambi and andy petitte. and yep, they played with them until the sig’s were long gone.

but isn’t that the point!?! you know it got signed. it’s your glove/football/bball. you have the memory. the shits who feel they have to save it so that it’s worth money just don’t get it. and of course the players know this so they are more hesitant to sign things, cuz even little kids are scamming.

proud to say i have a whole lot of nothing. nothing but the memories.